• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member

I don't think Mango's style is really all that unique or original. I just think he's the only one good enough to actually pull it off. My style has always been a similar sort of rush down type, but I'm not fast enough, don't read well enough, don't space well enough, and make too many mistakes for it to be anything other than sloppy. It's definitely a really unforgiving style, but Mango is living proof it can be as effective as any other style, if not more so.
You're delusional or just wrong. Mango has done things every year for the past 4 years that no one else has done with the characters that see the most play by FAR, and our other best fox/falco players have already pretty much learned and copied his first two years of innovations. Mango's style is amazingly safe for his level of aggression because it's basically jigglypuff applied to every character to mitigate defensive options to the things he does, particularly out of shield. But it's certainly not "rush down" and if you see it that way you're probably getting your *** kicked for trying to copy it.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
There's good competish from Socal, scar might surprise us with that lean swag, and, of course, Axe.

But the hype ain't the same as it was when Javi and shroomed were coming. PP's preeeeeeetty much a shoe-in
I'm impressed with how Scar has come back to melee and how he's come out playing so well. I think he's as good as he's ever been. I'm excited to see some more vids of him vs PP, AXE, Westballz, or anyone else.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
PP vs Westballz was pretty hype. He seemed overwhelmed at first, but when PP took that moment to breathe between game 3 and 4, it was like he had his opponent completely downloaded.

clowsui

Smash Legend
PP not satisfied w the way you played. Your rhythm seemed off dunno if it's cause you were trying a lot of tricks but it didn't seem as though you were putting everything together. Your fullhop dairs worked like a charm vs your crashing problem btw

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Call me crazy, but I thought PP was playing fabulously, and easily 2-3 stocking everyone. Were we watching the same matches?

Would have liked to see some marth though PP, cuz you clearly had enough of a skill cushion with falco

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah, I think PP was playing fairly well. Westballz putting in WORK, though. I'm a believer, now.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya he just won the tournament.. fairly well...

Edit: I'm pretty sure for example if Westballz won everyone would have said, omfg he played amazingly well. To me that sounds ********.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Call me crazy, but I thought PP was playing fabulously, and easily 2-3 stocking everyone. Were we watching the same matches?

Would have liked to see some marth though PP, cuz you clearly had enough of a skill cushion with falco
Only watched archives of him vs Lovage/SFAT and I wasn't feelin it =/ 2-3 stocks means nothing to me if he isn't playing the way he wants to and when I was looking at the vids he just seemed...off. His pressure was lacked a certain finesse to it that he normally has and his movement/execution seemed a little sloppy too, I felt like his opponents just let him get away w a lot of stuff. Like it came through occasionally (esp vs lovage holy fk lol) but just spots here and there weren't fluid

o well he will speak for himself when he returns

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
In order to shed some very modest light on the topic of this page, here is an excerpt from a text convo I had with Kevin last night:

Me: How'd it go?
Kevin: I won but I played like booty LOL

Welp

D

Deleted member

I don't think Mango's style is really all that unique or original. I just think he's the only one good enough to actually pull it off. My style has always been a similar sort of rush down type, but I'm not fast enough, don't read well enough, don't space well enough, and make too many mistakes for it to be anything other than sloppy. It's definitely a really unforgiving style, but Mango is living proof it can be as effective as any other style, if not more so.
First line is wrong

:phone:

Also Wes ***** I been saying it for months how good he is but he's a scrub for getting ***** by lovage

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Wassuuupp

wassup wassup wassup guys

So I learned a TON at this tournament. Pretty cool feeling. I'll try to share as much of it as I can recall when I can.

#1 thing I'll talk about right now is the relation between exercise/energy and nerves, and how one handles this balance.

So I haven't really been exercising the majority of my smash career, but after Apex I decided to not be a lazy butt anymore and got back into running after a long time. My smash game and theory game have improved loads because of this imo, but I tend to get distracted by my "extra" thoughts when it comes down to pressure situations because I'm used to barely having enough energy to easily allow all of my focus to settle on the screen.

Rather than wait until after the tourney or a serious loss to reflect on how to fix this, I decided to turn to a practice I had been kinda toying with for a while now: meditation. Sounds sorta silly if you're not used to the idea, but focusing on just breathing has a way of helping you calm down enough to at least focus on a mental attack on the issue at hand(if it doesn't outright fix it). For me, I discovered that I felt nervous when I thought about any upcoming matches having any "value" at all. Should I think only in terms of "playing this person would be pretty cool. why? Just because I want to see if I can beat them" really helped set me up to play in a more calm manner. I felt mostly myself by finals, and I'm confident that with proper pre-tourney meditation I could avoid jitters altogether next time.

Oh yeah duh, the most important part is explaining how I meditate. I close my eyes, mentally scan every part of my body for tenseness and try to relax those muscles. Then, I focus on breathing: in through the nose and out through the mouth. Holding the breath a little in between inhale and exhale also seems to feel a little better. Once I'm calm, I can think about whatever I want. If I get nervous, I simply go back to focusing on breathing until I am calm again. Worth a shot if you get nervous anyway haha.

Edit: I wanted to play Marth in tournament but I felt like I'd choke with him. I played tons of friendlies with Marth and will be writing up some stuff I (think I) learned in the Marth boards later.

oliman

Smash Journeyman
yo can someone critique me please (im ralis)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3vs18DQs9Y

i have a ton to work on, and really any advice would be awesome
im getting effed up by lasers, platz, stupid teching, and whiffing moves. that and all the fundamentals need to be worked on.

also for my sake, please mute it.

D

Deleted member

Edit: I wanted to play Marth in tournament but I felt like I'd choke with him.
it's not choking if you do nair approaches and get ***** for it, that's just being bad.

i'm glad you pulled around back to normal in the finals though.

standing laser face was the highlight of the tournament.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
ha i saw you on the stream a few times and was like 90% sure you were trying to meditate.

also, that stream was awesome! props to the people who ran that tourney

Niko45

Smash Master
That's really cool PP I've heard a lot of good things about meditation in general so that's pretty interesting. I have noticed what you are talking about with exercise helping my game too as I'm periodically on and off with working out and I notice when I'm more active I just flat out play better by a considerable amount. Feel good, play good.

Look forward to your Marth stuff.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
it's not choking if you do nair approaches and get ***** for it, that's just being bad.

i'm glad you pulled around back to normal in the finals though.

standing laser face was the highlight of the tournament.
Lol I told you I was being lazy! I'll try to behave next time I'm on stream. =p

and man I was so MAD about that lol. Friggin standing lasers suck.

That's really cool PP I've heard a lot of good things about meditation in general so that's pretty interesting. I have noticed what you are talking about with exercise helping my game too as I'm periodically on and off with working out and I notice when I'm more active I just flat out play better by a considerable amount. Feel good, play good.

Look forward to your Marth stuff.
Right after exercising I feel like my eyes just naturally focus better. It's probably because of all of the blood flowing so well in addition to any hormones keeping you more aware. Meditation helps channel this energy so having both benefits is super legit imo.

"Feel good, play good" is a nice way to sum it up haha.

Bing

Smash Master
Wow... PP was of course PP, But Im really impressed with Westballz..

I love watching Falco Dittos :p

I wish Sion didnt **** up as much as he did, set could have been a bit tighter. :p

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
hey pp do u mind if i ask u random questions on aim every now and then
Not one bit! In fact I'd probably enjoy it more than anything. =) Just leave me a message whenever and I'll get back to you asap. Sometimes I peace from aim for a while out of the blue lol.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Hey PP
Would you be up for live critiques of streams at some point?
Could just be like a set or two but live advice would be kinda neat

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey PP
Would you be up for live critiques of streams at some point?
Could just be like a set or two but live advice would be kinda neat
Yeah sure man. I'll critique whatever live today because I'm semi-tired from the trip still. Just post a link here or PM me or whatever and I'll check it out. =)

giovannig22311

Smash Journeyman
Yeah sure man. I'll critique whatever live today because I'm semi-tired from the trip still. Just post a link here or PM me or whatever and I'll check it out. =)
hey PP i was wondering in a apex interview you said with falco to laser space what exactly does that mean and how do i apply that to my falco?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
hey PP i was wondering in a apex interview you said with falco to laser space what exactly does that mean and how do i apply that to my falco?

This is probably something really important I haven't written at all about, so I'm glad you asked this question haha.

Laser spacing is basically just lasering at different ranges from your opponent. You have different options based on different spacings, so this should be pretty obvious. Lasers set up different moves at different spacings. Because of this fact, people will fear/react to/whatever certain lasers at certain spacings more than others. You can also alter reactions/non-reactions with conditioning of course.

For example, if I wanted to laser in very close to an opponent, I get options such as shine, grab, and most of my attacks or pressure moves. Because of this, many opponents may roll or jump or attack away if I shoot a laser very close to them and pressure/punish. So, let's say I set up a laser close to them and then shield for half a second after doing pressure/punishes after doing close lasers for a few times. My odds of being grabbed are quite low, and my shield will not lose to the opponent's shield or defensive maneuvers. In some cases, I may even get to retaliate on a shielded retreating attack. At any rate, I still gained some positional advantage and have begun to control my opponent effectively.

I should write a longer post on this later, it's kind of important lol. Let me know if you have any questions. =)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I was just thinking about in the future if I can get a stream going
Although if Melee gets any stream time at Xanadu I'll post / IM you later

Remen

Smash Apprentice
Man, **** the Marth match-up with Falco. Recently lost to Ice, feels pretty bad after he got 33rd at Apex.
At least I beat that other 33rd placer.

If anyone's in an advice giving mood, be my guest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB-WP9gj20k

I don't really have a Marth to practice against, so any help would be appreciated.

D

Deleted member

Man, **** the Marth match-up with Falco. Recently lost to Ice, feels pretty bad after he got 33rd at Apex.
At least I beat that other 33rd placer.

If anyone's in an advice giving mood, be my guest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB-WP9gj20k

I don't really have a Marth to practice against, so any help would be appreciated.
it's not about the things you're doing right so much as cutting out the things causing you to lose:

1. you get hit by WD > fsmash or high shield > shield grab a lot, which means you're attacking him from unsafe positioning or dedicating your attacks too much. your positioning looks decent so it's probably that you're going in too hard. try more wavelands back to feint or baiting moves that you can defend and then punish them.

2. you're getting hit by a lot of jab reset or tech chases. try varying your tech timing, don't tech and wait before rolling, or hold to a side when hit by a jab reset.

3. your edge guarding is really bad in a lot of ways. this is just a general skill that you need to be able to kill marth when you have him.

4. a lot of your shine combos give you nothing. it's like grounded shine > aerial shine > nothing. just bair him or something.

thats about it as far as i can see. IMO start with the edge guards first, those will have the highest immediate change for the matchup.

Top Bottom