• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Curtains! The Zelda Performance Thread! Critics Welcome~

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXSUHNoSemU&feature=g-u-u&context=G268370eFUAAAAAAAAAA

Myself VS Teevee tournament match from some time ago. Too bad the first match wasn't saved I actually beat his ROB for once.
TBH I don't even remember if that footstool was on purpose or not and my own critique for myself is that I got far too aggressive on my last stock. I just wanted the kill so I just sort of ran in without thinking... that works for some characters... not for Zelda.

I haven't had many tournament matches posted cuz I haven't been going to many recently. School is hectic so I don't have much time. Hopefully I can start going once in a while so I don't get too rusty.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Wow good match. That footstool really changed the flow of the game...

Watching that it would seem best to just get rid of the armour pieces rather than using them against ZSS. Going aggressive may have been a good thing he was kinda sorta getting backed into a corner... applying more pressure on top of that seems nice.

Good luck with school... I'm super swamped as well. Hope to see more videos of you soon :)

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
:d

riot i love watching your zelda videos
they inspire me to pick up zelda
i still wish i could upload videos
is there anyway to upload videos from the wii to youtube?
i really need my zelda critiqued

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
No it has to be recorded with a capturing device (eg. Dazzle, camcorder, DVD recorder), and then uploaded. The most important thing is getting your hands on the replay file though, and many people including me can help upload them, but I'm a little busy at the moment.

I'll record anything as long as there's a Zelda in it :D

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
You're gonna have to find a way to hack your Wii then apply the Infinite Replay code. I'd help you except I had a friend do it for me so I have no clue as to how it is done.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Also, if you have a capture device that hooks the video, audio R and audio L cables from your Wii to your computer and the software you can record as long as you need if you start recording before a game. Then upload those files to youtube. Splitter cables so you can also connect it to your TV are recommended.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Try Best Buy if you're willing to cough up some cash for a Dazzle.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Good luck! Watch out for ISSDI >_>

The top player in my area does it and it's frightening! (Betcha it was just for me :()

Fuujin

Smash Champion

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Good stuff Fuujin. I've said this before but it definitely shows that you've improved since your older vids. Some people stay more or less the same in playstyle, some don't even think they need to change it. But you've put some work into improving yours, good job.

I can't believe how cheated you got on your second match vs D3. You so had that, if it weren't for swallow <.<

Matches vs FAE's Lucas were intense. Seems like he started to read you at the second match toward the end. I noticed you like your back air into Nayru's Love, as well as Down Tilt to Dash Attack. Nice lightning kick you got toward the end of the second match. I also noticed you don't like Up Tilt and Up Air much. True they're not some of her best moves but they have their uses. Down Tilt to Up Tilt works great at higher percents, though I noticed you like your Down Tilt to Upsmash more.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
are these offline or wifi?

Yeah I was pissed that second game, it's what I get for using Nayru's Lol though.

and I was playing really dumb against FAE
Idk why I was approaching when I had the lead, I think that's a pretty tough MU though ]:

I think up smash is a lot easier to land than up tilt, up smash does more damage, has around the same KB, comes out faster and has bigger hit boxes and I think people can DI to the side to make up tilt less likely to hit.
I don't think up air is a very good move overall.
It's nice if you land it, but theres like no reliable way to land it unless your opponent leaves themselves open.
It has a nice hitbox and it's strong but it's so easily telegraphed unless you get it out of a ledge cancel or something.
I also feel really dumb, I played a Yoshi and a Dedede and I only went for d tilt to b air like once.:facepalm:

One thing I wanted to point out.
A while ago I was talking about sour spot D air -> D tilt ->Up smash/Up tilt/D smash/etc and how this is a set up for kill moves and many other moves.
I did here here: http://youtu.be/VaTACKC62LI?t=58s
though I think because he was at a fairly low percent, this should be a guaranteed way to land up/d smash, dash attack, Nayru's and maybe some other moves at higher percents, I do it all the time for kills.(I usually just go for smash attacks.)

Oh and Cour when you have the free time can you change the Yoshi's name to Dark Leviathan.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Um in general, you seem really greedy so I suggest to stop being so greedy. It killed you every single time in game 2 >_> Tell your friend to stop using back throw unless it's going to KO... it's saddening to watch.

Oh yeah Fujin, work on tech-rolling so MetalMusicMan doesn't always Buuman trap you for free damage.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Just one thing to keep in mind... when you want things to be critiqued... try not to have erm... matches like the second game where a lot of weird stuff happens because they are not very critique friendly.

Yuniverse

Smash Cadet
Just one thing to keep in mind... when you want things to be critiqued... try not to have erm... matches like the second game where a lot of weird stuff happens because they are not very critique friendly.
Well.....I know Im def not the best zelda here and its not my really my place to critique:(, but I think there was a lot to learn from game 2 and we shouldnt say something in a video is "weird" or not "critique friendly" after all we dont want people to shy away from the :zelda: critique thread. Well any way heres my imput:

@ 1:07 good job reading the spot doge with a fair....although it was a lil risky tho:)
@1:34 thats is always a scary situation dealing with ness pkt but dont forget we still have a reflector even though its not the best one but its still nifty ;)
@1:42 you had the read he was gonna sheild. dash grab to fthrow or even grab release would have gave you back some momentum in the match.
@1:49 Im not sure if we have a jab lock equivalent (maybe with d-tilt) but the opponent didnt tech their landing, either way you can gauge what they're gonna do next in that situation before rushing in.
@2:04 watch you rolls you might have gotten a read.
@2:07 good job punishing that spotdoge with fsmash
@2:09 you have ness on a platform and 64% on :ness2: is good enough, even though your not in the lead don't forget we are low teir that can KILL:awesome:
@2:16 you should not have traded the position you were at when edge guarding the opponent. let them act fist then punish accordingly. edge guarding doesnt always get the kill, but it does guarantee damage.
@2:28 you had the gimp you should have just reacted faster.
@2:55 another great spotdoge punish but you didnt have to pursue after :ness2: he needs to get back on stage it's already a bad situation for the opponent.
@3:06 grab might have been the better option.

Over all not bad. :ness2: is a scary MU with back throw being so scary and :zelda: being so , so light, but just don't get anxious to kill/gimp ness. Zelda always has an abundance of kill moves, just be patient and look for the opening. I know XD easier said than done lol.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Well.....I know Im def not the best zelda here and its not my really my place to critique:(, but I think there was a lot to learn from game 2 and we shouldnt say something in a video is "weird" or not "critique friendly" after all we dont want people to shy away from the :zelda: critique thread. Well any way heres my imput:

@ 1:07 good job reading the spot doge with a fair....although it was a lil risky tho:)
@1:34 thats is always a scary situation dealing with ness pkt but dont forget we still have a reflector even though its not the best one but its still nifty ;)
@1:42 you had the read he was gonna sheild. dash grab to fthrow or even grab release would have gave you back some momentum in the match.
@1:49 Im not sure if we have a jab lock equivalent (maybe with d-tilt) but the opponent didnt tech their landing, either way you can gauge what they're gonna do next in that situation before rushing in.
@2:04 watch you rolls you might have gotten a read.
@2:07 good job punishing that spotdoge with fsmash
@2:09 you have ness on a platform and 64% on :ness2: is good enough, even though your not in the lead don't forget we are low teir that can KILL:awesome:
@2:16 you should not have traded the position you were at when edge guarding the opponent. let them act fist then punish accordingly. edge guarding doesnt always get the kill, but it does guarantee damage.
@2:28 you had the gimp you should have just reacted faster.
@2:55 another great spotdoge punish but you didnt have to pursue after :ness2: he needs to get back on stage it's already a bad situation for the opponent.
@3:06 grab might have been the better option.

Over all not bad. :ness2: is a scary MU with back throw being so scary and :zelda: being so , so light, but just don't get anxious to kill/gimp ness. Zelda always has an abundance of kill moves, just be patient and look for the opening. I know XD easier said than done lol.
You are probably my favorite person out of everyone that has critiqued any of my videos :) Thank you so much for the specific examples, I was able to go back and see what you were talking about, may I ask, how would you have handle the gimp at 2:28? My goal was to kick the thunder ball before contact but couldn't quite get to it.
Also, can :zelda: really kill at 64% I assume you mean with the lightning kick?

Yuniverse

Smash Cadet
Im not quite sure if LK can kill :ness2: @64% but I do know all of our throws do double digits, :marth: mains be jealous :awesome: (but not really :( ) so getting some throws in before a LK or smash or even utilt can prob. get the kill....the point is :zelda:'s fkn strong!!! We dont have to worry about % deficits, especially with the japanese rules set being used in tourneys no more time outs neither, so we def dont have to care about %

Im not quite sure how experienced your friend is with samus but alltogether it seems like you understood the MU. I dont quite think I can speak for every one, but I think samus is pretty open and shut: just keep camping. (she cant kill :( ) at times it seems like you got bored and started approaching which is something :zelda: and :samus2: both want the opponent to do.As for the matches:
Well in game 1
@0:31 you already threw down the guantlet with :sheik: why not try and go the extra mile with a dacus to punish that airdodge. (it might of worked! not exactly sure though you will have to ask Ed, or Judo on that one)
@1:00 she at 168.......utilt BYE :)
@1:13 you knew they were gonna roll just d-smah
@2:32 d-tilt........I know Im being picky
@2:59 great grab
GAME2
@1:50 maybe just usmash or maybe not......tbh I just wanted to see some one die.
@2:10 d-smash.....Its our real MVP dont let LK fool you.
@2:30 hey why not throw in some f-tilts while your visiting sheik country.
@3:20 you know they were not gonna let you get that dacus, but I applaud you for trying. Next time condition them to jump into it. Dont force the usmash set up.
@6:11 o.O wasnt expecting that sdi....but a tech as well, good **** Dude

Not much to say about game 3 but throw in some love jumps to avoid off stage situations. All of the games have one thing in common.
Mix up nayru's, and dins with power sheilds. Most good players will condition you to use an option you think is safe and then they will exploit it so they can get closer on you. Nayru's has a lot of cool down and a good player will might even anticipate the nayru's power sheild it and go in for the grab or even kill. Same with din's, some times your letting your opponent get closer when you just need to stop and let your opponent approach or just let the situation reset. who knows the might approach with their sheild and boom dash grab for you.
Also two things to consider
#1 both of you can work on your :sheik:/:samus2: in your spare time
#2 start recording Money matches or Tourney matches for critique.

Edit: Oh yeah and nair on platforms is soo free start using it in your zelda game.......and just to throw this in there, its not that great, but you can platform cancel on lyalt... do it for fun when you have the chance.:)

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
To be perfectly honest, at this moment in time I don't feel like I can put any faith whatsoever into Sheik's DACUS, I'm not very good at it, and it shows, you'll see my Sheik running and dash attacking nothing where a DACUS would have possibly resulted in a kill, but thankfully, this next tourney I'm preparing for was pushed back a weekend so it's next weekend instead of this weekend lol, more time to practice the DACUS. Is it really safe to put a lot of faith into :zelda: down smash? It doesn't seem to have any reach on it at all, I'm afraid of getting punished pretty hard core if I miss with it haha, also which is recommended as a better kill move, up smash, or up tilt with Zelda? I like smash for damage and tilt for kill.

As for the Samus, he just recently picked her up again like two days ago, but he played her in Melee, IDK if I can say he's good, but he's the best player in our group. The next videos I post will be tourneys of Zelda probably :) maybe one more set next week to see where I need to but the most intensive training focus in.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
I played Leon in a MM @ apex and that MU is so bad :urg:
Leon plays super aggressive, which is actually really good for Zelda, but it's still an uphill fight then.
Zelda gets punished for landing so much stuff it's not even funny.
I really don't see how Zelda is supposed to win that against a smart Marth.

Why would he cp Halberd though? Low blast zone?

I noticed in game 1 from like 20 to 25 you were using lots of Nayru's, and thats not really a good idea (ironic coming from me tho) a smart Samus would have just punished all of those with Z air.

Then I was watching more and that Samus is bad.
Like really bad.
Idk it's hard for me to critque your Zelda when the person you're playing is letting you get away with pretty much anything you want.
It's like he also doesn't know that Samus has a z air.

Edit:
Very late but Mocha WTH is this Dedede texture looooooooooooooll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBHBXWi-5vc

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Sorry :( Yeah, when he does z-air it gets a lot harder, but I can usually time an approach, it's a fairly predictable attack since he aims for Zelda's head everytime.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I played Leon in a MM @ apex and that MU is so bad :urg:
Leon plays super aggressive, which is actually really good for Zelda, but it's still an uphill fight then.
Zelda gets punished for landing so much stuff it's not even funny.
I really don't see how Zelda is supposed to win that against a smart Marth.

Why would he cp Halberd though? Low blast zone?
Yeah I agree with you i played mr r in friendlies and even then it was a total nightmare. i could not get in. I think these matches are ****ing impressive though... to get a marth like that down to last stock and even lead parts of the matches... it's almost shocking considering how far apart those chars are competitively.

I like the edgeguard trick of hogging the ledge and then attacking as he recovers, knocking him back off and doing it over and over. Also i think it's a good strat to take the ledge against marth cos then it's a free kick/uair as he recovers.

Top Bottom