• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chicago-Land Power Rankings (Updated 12/30/2011)

Master Ppv

Smash Journeyman
Basically, we're all just saying that we'd like to see Dart, Kels, and Darkrain play each other again.

I agree with this notion for the very selfish reason that I'd get to watch some epic sets.

Also, Darkrain is awesome. <-- The one statement that no self-respecting Smasher will ever contest.

:phone:

Meneks

Smash Lord
I don't have the car anymore, and its like an hour and a half to 2 hour train ride there from the city if I can recall(inb4 the cave tournies) so its already too late lol.. I'm on spring break though, perhaps this week

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Loosh actually lives right next to the old cave venue.

edit- no go for me this week, it is NOT my spring break xD

Meneks

Smash Lord
Yeah, the universities here have the spring break earlier,
but I guess the community colleges have it later.

We do however share the same breaks with the highschools and elementary schools for some reason

Dart!

Smash Master
no joke ckit ***** dart and tink, if the legend so chooses to paly again, we all know where he woudl be. ckit is easily #2 in my eyes, not as far as tournies go tho.
I'll admit he's beaten me clearly every time we've played.
I don't think he'll **** me. I think it would be close but we probably won't ever know.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
you need lots of setups for swiss to work better than round robin
We can do it exactly how we do pools, and it would be faster since there wouldn't be a likely hood of one person holding down the whole thing like what happens during pools
iE one person plays friendlies or is not present, his pool gets behind.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Swiss has its ups and downs. For those who don't know, swiss is done by matching players against other players with the same record as them. First round is random, then the 1-0 play other 1-0 and 0-1 play 0-1. Then 0-2 play 0-2, 1-1 play 1-1 and 2-0 play 2-0. Etc.

From a TO's perspective, its a nightmare. The overhead involved with matching players is obscene. So many situations need to be accounted for: What if there are an odd number of entrants? What if there are no opponents with the same score or an odd number of players with the same score? Do you match the first matching players (speed) or wait until the entire round is done (fairness)? It also is a very volatile and random system where a kels vs tink is likely to happen round 2 rather than round 4 or 5.

If there were players with completely unknown skill facing off, so that pre-seeding pools isnt possible, this may be a good choice, but that isn't the case we are facing. The rough skill level of the players in the area are known so we can more efficiently group players together. If time and effort were no object, the best solution would be pure round robin, but time and effort are limiting factors. Swiss is roughly equal in accuracy at our scale while presenting a whole lot of headaches and time issues.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Things happen like that, but it's not hard to fix. You always give someone with the worst record or tied for the worst record a bye. For situations of uneven records, that has to be done by random to not be subjective.

I'd run one if I ran an event, at least once.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
yeah some don't like that hype matches can happen randomly in swiss and it is a lot more TO work than round robin. I like that it's random and not subjective, but you can just randomly seed round robin pools instead of pre-choosing who's supposed to make it out

mundungu does swiss when we don't run brawl tho and it works just fine, but we have lots of setups

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If it has to be done at random, that means each round has to complete before the next can start. Think about that for a second. It would probably add an hour or more to the pools process

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
If it has to be done at random, that means each round has to complete before the next can start. Think about that for a second. It would probably add an hour or more to the pools process
That is the one bad thing.
To change the subject though, apparently Brawl players have banned platform camping on Smashville?

Lmao, what morons.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I thought scrooging was the one where you glide under the stage a lot
Yeah, that was my mistake, I watched a video and I saw a metaknight camp on the platform so that's what I thought it was.

Anyway, that is still stupid.

Also, I'm bored so I'm going to remake all of the tournaments in TIO since Chris doesn't want to upload them. The only thing bad about it is that I won't have any pools info.

I also uploaded results from a tourney we had at Chris' on 1/6/12 that I had the results for. For the ones I do have the Pools for, how do I generate Pools in Tio?

Tink

Smash Hero
roflll...yo bro, u need to get off that, if player a beats player b hes better then player c....cause i almost guarentee thats where all your "cunning owns" these ppl comes from.....cunning out right just ***** you and u feel you have no chance...but then u play me and dart, u go even with us. so u just come in and say, "yo, cunning is way better then these guys, i know", but JOHNSSSS my *****..........u just suck 0_0.

also, me and cunning go just about even everytime we play....most recently at big house when we played friendlies while you were out broing it up with the ginger sonnn.

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Lolz another cunning debate. All from a side comment from atma. Good work XD

Also, I was talking to Kels about it at SttF, but Chicago should have a couple big smashfests over the summer (2 day weekend smashfests would be ****). I'd be down to drive up and maybe convince some other noobs to join me. Midwest needs to not get ***** at FC.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
roflll...yo bro, u need to get off that, if player a beats player b hes better then player c....cause i almost guarentee thats where all your "cunning owns" these ppl comes from.....cunning out right just ***** you and u feel you have no chance...but then u play me and dart, u go even with us. so u just come in and say, "yo, cunning is way better then these guys, i know", but JOHNSSSS my *****..........u just suck 0_0.

also, me and cunning go just about even everytime we play....most recently at big house when we played friendlies while you were out broing it up with the ginger sonnn.
actually i was talkin about just you 2 playin against him. now if we are on the subject of me against you, or me against dart, I only dropped one set against the both of you the last 3 years in tournament and htat was dart's legendary 3 stock comeback on me. i **** you for free all day in tournament son and i can't wait to be ****ing you up this summer baby boi.

Tink

Smash Hero
lolll....youll soon be put back into that, trails pretty good, but tink ***** him, phase....dont worry :p.

ORLY

Smash Master
Also, I'm bored so I'm going to remake all of the tournaments in TIO since Chris doesn't want to upload them. The only thing bad about it is that I won't have any pools info.

I also uploaded results from a tourney we had at Chris' on 1/6/12 that I had the results for. For the ones I do have the Pools for, how do I generate Pools in Tio?
if the ssbpd really matters to all you weirdos, i can try to track down all my TO files

it only really matters for FC at the end of the summer since 99% of the MW doesn't go to nationals

ORLY

Smash Master
that's not really how it should be done

you're completely ignoring pools and i have no idea whether they're accurate

i will not stand for such cheap imitations!

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
that's not really how it should be done

you're completely ignoring pools and i have no idea whether they're accurate

i will not stand for such cheap imitations!
The brackets are 100% accurate, unless your bracket images in the results threads are not.

ORLY

Smash Master
i'm gonna have to ask you to stop

i'm going back to my original stance of having absolutely nothing to do with the ssbpd

do what you want

Top Bottom