• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The URC has been disbanded.

Basically, now everyone will have the freedom to make whatever ruleset they please.

[glow]Why no eh'vry'body happy?[/glow]
Because TOs always had the freedom to make whatever rulesets they pleased. Nothing has really changed except for the fact that now we have another controversial failure on our hands that we have to damage control.

Cassio

Smash Master
Theres certainly a difference.

Also I feel there was greater benefit than detriment to its existence, I think the only way it could possibly be considered a failure is with intense hindsight, and even thats up for discussion. Its nothing to be upset over in and of itself, aside from those who will miss an authoritatively unified ruleset for brawl.
This reminds me of Star Wars. Senate vs Republic.
lol, when I heard this was happening a few days ago I immediately thought of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np6vAuS0KNs

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
As always, the traditional fighting game community has an interesting take on this...

http://shoryuken.com/2012/04/16/the-smashboards-unity-ruleset-committee-disbands-meta-knight-freed/

"This is why your better off letting the developers make the rules of play over a 'player run committee'. But..SSB series has always been party based so...yea good luck convincing the developer to do that."

That stood out, in particular. We are, in essence, fighting the developers of the game alongside our own differences. It'll be difficult to grow with Nintendo's resistance to the competitive atmosphere.

Cassio

Smash Master
Thats a very different, but important discussion. Personally I dont think thats completely accurate though.

Dcold

Smash Lord
That article acts as if Unity was a prison, implying there was no choice before on what ruleset to use.

So much negativity for no reason. Everyone just needs to sit down and chill~

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
At a certain point you have to think of the long-term. The way I see it is like this:
Situation Now: X people go to Y tournament, and then there's newcomers who we can call the Z group. Z group doesn't want to attend because of ruleset, so the tournaments keep going on with the same X people going. EVENTUALLY the X people quit and now smash has no future, you NEED to want growth for the smash community cold. At a certain point a TO having to make concessions for the new generation is more effective in order to preserve our community. And to be quite honest, if the TO of Y tournament changed the ruleset to encourage people from the Z group to come, I can't imagine more than 5-10% of people from the X group saying "oh the ruleset has changed, guess I'll stop going."

But I concede to your second point, I would not have as much hatred towards it. But because they did make it official it did 2 things:
1. People new to the community come onto smashboards homepage, see the ruleset and think "wow this looks like the legit stuff, I guess I'll look for tournaments that have this!" and disregard tourneys with other rulesets.
2. Regardless of the sticky rule not being from the URC and regardless of how long it lasted, it happened for the time it did and it was incredibly detrimental because it discouraged other rulesets.
this is mostly an absurd notion. the game remains relatively unchanged regardless of ruleset and most players that aren't ******** realize this; the only thing i can see people attending or not attending a tournament over is the MK ban, which is kind of understandable if someone mains MK or has an awful MU against MK. the reasoning behind players retiring is rarely to do with trends in rulesets and moreso with distaste in the game or a desire to move on in life.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
*subscribing for lurking relevance*

lol shoryuken discussion is filled with ignorance

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Man, I knew as soon as I heard about this, something about SRK would come up.

This doesn't help our image much, I presume.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Metaknight being banned is entirely up to your region's Tournament Organizer.

SWF no longer holds any specific ruleset as the standard.

Life

Smash Hero
Are we allowed to post our own rulesets btw? I was thinking of writing a noob-friendly "as few rules as possible" set...

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
So glad that the power is back in the community's hands! The URC made an ok ruleset, but "use this, or we won't sticky you" and stuff like that was ridiculous.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
So glad that the power is back in the community's hands! The URC made an ok ruleset, but "use this, or we won't sticky you" and stuff like that was ridiculous.
So glad that people still don't read threads. This Jellyfishn guy made an ok post, but "stuff that has already been recanted awhile ago and previously discussed" and stuff like that was ridiculous.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
So glad that people still don't read threads. This Jellyfishn guy made an ok post, but "stuff that has already been recanted awhile ago and previously discussed" and stuff like that was ridiculous.
I read it all..... I was telling how I felt personally about the issue. And this "awhile ago" you are referring to was only a few hours ago(TODAY).

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
While I have no ill will towards the individual members of the Unity Ruleset Committee, the URC was unquestionably one of the worst things in the history of the Smash community. The URC's attempt to remove decision-making power from Regions and Tournament Organizers by forcing a "standard" ruleset was completely counter to the core of our game/community and did nothing but further alienate and disrupt the scene.

I can't wait to return to a recommended ruleset instead of an enforced one. The power should always be in the hands of the community, not a committee.
I don't think I could have said it better, Will is so smart. Except on stuff he disagrees with me about, what a fool.

URC sucked ****, you can't just say "MK is banned forever, if you don't like it SUCKS FOR U" and any ruleset they don't like they can't use

hell yeah you sense some

URC wasn't recommended. It was FORCED. "you don't use this you won't be stickied", and having half the major TOs join that group and agree to it after BBR failed on the same issues many times yet half the members were the same? Coincidence? No they failed with BBR so they got members they knew would vote that way and then only allowed them in, it's just as corrupt as BBR is with voting new members in, EXCEPT THEY GOT TO START FRESH with a new group of people where they can pick and choose who to let in to make it even more corrupt. I've been back there since the beginning and saw everything. It was definitely bad and forced. If it truely was a "recommended" ruleset, it wouldn't have been forced. That's tyranny.
Yeah, this. especially the first part. idk about the sticky rule, I've never had a tournament big enough to warrant one, but you can't ban a character that wins NATIONALS, and THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS, and then expect people to be rosey when you change your mind. Some people have stopped caring as much who mained MK, they are at a disadvantage, unless they are the 5% who are better with a different character, i.e. the people who picked IC's.

If you don't get why he's mad, you're being dishonest with yourself and/or your peers online. I don't know enough of the personal drama, but it most certainly IS.

MK was banned because of 1 man, :jasongetskissedbygirlatburgerking:

btw I don't even know how to play as MK, let alone support people picking him up. That doesn't mean ban him, it means pick up Olimar because M2K can't beat him.

Also, picking out one point of an argument that's flawed or weak and using that as way to debunk the entire post makes you look bad to the learnededed people. You can't dismiss his post because he doesn't give a care about what actually happens with the sticky, that doesn't get rid of any credibility.

everything you have ever said that wasn't trolling
I think the reason the URC failed is that they let people like this represent them. I'm not even saying he shouldn't have been in, but WTF are you guys doing letting this man speak for you? That's terrible.

You see, that's the thing. The URC was in the process of restructuring itself heavily with 3.0 and the code of conduct from the Charter.

I actually asked Xiivi to let me take control of the group for administrative purposes via PM, but rather than let the restructuring / functioning with proper active leadership occur the choice was made to disband.
That's pretty sad that they wouldn't let you be in charge of it, I think you are one of the few people who is strong enough willed, yet open to logical thinking, to have been able to handle it...

If you look at in terms of activity in the MW, MWW has local scenes operating in MN, MO, KS, IA, IL. MWE has MI, OH, and if you build in IN.

That's only 8 TO's we could work to get on board to run the same ruleset regionally.
Until you forgot Nebraska. I'd like to point out that I personally average 13 people per tournament at the ones I throw, as opposed to like 4 people going to ones that aren't thrown by me. Sure, we aren't very good and some of us aren't as focused and we focus on melee, but you shouldn't dismiss us because of these things. We still matter and play the same game sometimes.

Also we just inherited South Dakotas scene.

<3

BSP

Smash Legend
My question is what are we going to do now

I know I'll still use the unity ruleset as a template for my events, but are all the big events just going to be up to the TO?

I still think going for a recommended national ruleset would be a good idea.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
This doesn't mean the end of anything in terms of a standard ruleset, outside of just a minor setback to me.

If you look at in terms of activity in the MW, MWW has local scenes operating in MN, MO, KS, IA, IL. MWE has MI, OH, and if you build in IN.

That's only 8 TO's we could work to get on board to run the same ruleset regionally.
You have Composer in Indiana that is a pretty good TO, Hilt in KY/barely IN, and theres probably another KY TO that I'm forgetting (I don't count myself because I'm a bad TO lol).

Don't drop KY. We're pretty active. States also have multiple TO's.

I didn't see what was wrong with Unity. Still going to run it at my tournaments. Also don't agree with it being forced. Stickies aren't even that serious *shrug*.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Except it has nothing to do with Metaknight at all.

Unless people are just going to drop the ban because no more URC?

BSP

Smash Legend
There will be less pressure to ban him, but it'll probably still happen in some places

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
i hope the ******* stays banned at least in my states tournaments.

things were so much better with him gone, and actual variety in terms of character results were happening, it wasn't limited to about 15-20 metaknights(pockets included) and a tiny handful of snakes diddy's and falcos at best.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
URC sucked ****, you can't just say "MK is banned forever, if you don't like it SUCKS FOR U" and any ruleset they don't like they can't use

THEN force people to use their ruleset or they don't get stickied. Something like that would never stick around.

wish I woulda known that would happen before I gave my controller away to Nietono at apex though <_<
Try to make your responses of unnecessary material coherent before attempting to
impress us with your insight. The evidence that you are naive and not all that bright is blatant, but at least pretend that you aren't. Reading your post made me lose faith in humanity in general. Good thing there are players of your caliber (Justin Wong, Viscant, etc) who aren't as narrow-minded as you. Couldn't be arsed to quote your other posts, but yeah, thats the general gist of it.

Anyway, can't say I care either way, but MK is no longer officially banned nearly everywhere which definitely grinds my gears.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
hell yeah you sense some

URC wasn't recommended. It was FORCED. "you don't use this you won't be stickied", and having half the major TOs join that group and agree to it after BBR failed on the same issues many times yet half the members were the same? Coincidence? No they failed with BBR so they got members they knew would vote that way and then only allowed them in, it's just as corrupt as BBR is with voting new members in, EXCEPT THEY GOT TO START FRESH with a new group of people where they can pick and choose who to let in to make it even more corrupt. I've been back there since the beginning and saw everything. It was definitely bad and forced. If it truely was a "recommended" ruleset, it wouldn't have been forced. That's tyranny.
welcome back to brawl jason <3

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Woo! BBR can make rulesets again!
I can't wait for mushroomy kingdom and 75m to be legalized/frigate and hanenbow to become neutrals.

Aww yeah, get ready smash community. In a year we can finally get this game to the level of anti-competitiveness that we've always dreamed of.
Marvel players will be so jealous.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I think the reason the URC failed is that they let people like this represent them. I'm not even saying he shouldn't have been in, but WTF are you guys doing letting this man speak for you? That's terrible.

<3
I cut back on my trolling after I got warned by the URC the first time. Now that URC is disbanded there are no shackles holding me back :cool: . Where is Jebus when you need him?

M@v

Subarashii!
<3

Just ignore him. I'm pretty sure he's the only one left in the room, lol.

Top Bottom