• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Black Ops 2 thread.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Another inevitably bad game in an increasingly bad line of games that will yet again break another sales record.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I actually have high hopes for this game, seeing as how I thoroughly enjoyed Black Ops. I don't have a reason to expect disappointment or dissatisfaction
from the game itself.
:applejack:

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Another inevitably bad game in an increasingly bad line of games that will yet again break another sales record.
Usually the people who say the games are bad say it because they're god awful at it.

#nolie

Oh, and how do you know it's bad already? I didn't know it was out to play! Nice hook me up broski.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Usually the people who say the games are bad say it because they're god awful at it.

#nolie

Oh, and how do you know it's bad already? I didn't know it was out to play! Nice hook me up broski.
Anyone with half a brain can see that CoD has devolved from pretty good to God awful every release they done since like CoD4. They keep on getting worse and worse. Hell, there's HORSE FIGHTS in 2025 in BO 2 apparently. They don't even care at this point. They're just putting in extra, nonsensical features and mediocre, short campaigns into a game so they can milk you for another $60 so you can extend the same online experience you've been playing for another year.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Hey UltiMario,

Black Ops was a solid title. WaW was a solid Title. I would venture to say that both of these games are better than CoD4, even. You need to hop off the bandwagon and wait until it's out to make a call like that.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I think I'm done with CoD in general (other than playing CoD4 with F8AL and mah buds of course). Ever since MW2 I just haven't enjoyed the games nearly as much as I did with the first Modern Warfare. Too much randomness and little things that pissed me off. This game could actually end up being somewhat decent and I'd still find a way to get pissed/bored with it sooner or later.

Oh well... I have my eyes on Halo 4 instead. :)

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Anyone with half a brain can see that CoD has devolved from pretty good to God awful every release they done since like CoD4. They keep on getting worse and worse. Hell, there's HORSE FIGHTS in 2025 in BO 2 apparently. They don't even care at this point. They're just putting in extra, nonsensical features and mediocre, short campaigns into a game so they can milk you for another $60 so you can extend the same online experience you've been playing for another year.
I have a job. I don't care about spending $60.

Also, the newest games haven't been that bad. Black ops was great and MW3 is the only game out of the series I've been disappointed with, yet I still play it because it's still somewhat tolerable.

Anyone with half a brain can see that Treyarch produces higher quality games than Infinity ward does. If I'm satisfied with my purchase, how am I being milked? I like the price and I like the game. All these opinions being played off as facts make me sad.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Being satisfied is "subjective." The more you educate yourself on the matter, the more upset you become with the quality of games CoD shelves out. It's why casuals (not calling you guys that) flock to it, Madden, etc. etc.

Personally, I'd just buy a CoD game every 4-5 years cause the additions by then would be worthy enough to buy it.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Another CoD that is going to be the same **** as the previous ones but they are still going to charge 60$ for that? People only buy new CoD games because that's where people are moving to, so they can actually play on-line multiplayer and not get left behind. But other than that, they are spending 60$ for the same thing over and over again.

Bobby Kotick himself said that if he could, he would make CoD a monthly p2p sort of game. But releasing CoD games one after another that basically have the same gameplay lacking that "ohh" creativity, doesn't feel any better than a p2p scheme.

We should wait and see how this game will turn out. But I might just be interested in another Call of Duty game when they release that rumored Future Warfare or Space Warfare, but that's pretty much it. Either that or if their newer games really have something attractive to it.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Hey UltiMario,

Black Ops was a solid title. WaW was a solid Title. I would venture to say that both of these games are better than CoD4, even. You need to hop off the bandwagon and wait until it's out to make a call like that.
Yup. Hating CoD is the cool thing to do.

The whole "you're spending your money on the same game year after year blah blah blah" argument is the worst one. Paying 60$ for one game game each year?!!? Oh God! Please, no! Not 60$! In 2012 I can buy so many other things with that money! /self-destruct

theeboredone

Smash Legend
No, it's actually called investing in games that are actually worth the money. You can take the argument both ways, but I am a firm believer that by not giving your money to said company, you are sending a message to them you want change in a good way. We're not gonna be your sheep and help you make hundreds of millions in dollars for a product that is well...not much different from its predecessors.

TL?

Smash Ace
I don't even like COD but seriously people who cares if other people buy all the COD games? If you think they're rip offs and the series is only getting worse.... don't buy it! Besides, we're all on a forum that is partially devoted to Brawl. With that in mind, are you people really in a position to look down on other people's game preferences?

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Heh, anyone who is working and has common sense will think twice before making a purchase. There's so many things to worry about: Food, gas, bills, gf and etc. I always see that money better invested with something else that is actually offering me something new than the old formula over again.

And no, I don't feel happy getting sixty dollars and dumping it in the garbage, I don't care if this is the year 2000 or 2012. Because hey, getting something that offers me as much as something I already own is the same as throwing money in the trash bin.

C'mon Actvision, at least deliver us quality content this time. Renew the old formula, bring in something that will refresh the franchise. But seeing as how things are going, CoD is very successful and is getting them too much money, don't expect it to change anytime soon. 'Cause you know, why change what is not broken?

Somewhere inside Actvision HQs:

-Hur durr, it's making us so much money, let's not change how we develop the game and deliver content.
-What? So what will we work on to release to our consumers?
-Duh, let's just get the same **** over again, put a $60 price tag to it.
-Oh, Genius!

/rant

Edit:

I don't even like COD but seriously people who cares if other people buy all the COD games? If you think they're rip offs and the series is only getting worse.... don't buy it! Besides, we're all on a forum that is partially devoted to Brawl. With that in mind, are you people really in a position to look down on other people's game preferences?
It's not about preference, it's about the company behind it. Actvision has no integrity at all. But sure, if people are happy with what some companies thrown down their throat, then let them be.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Yup. Hating CoD is the cool thing to do.

The whole "you're spending your money on the same game year after year blah blah blah" argument is the worst one. Paying 60$ for one game game each year?!!? Oh God! Please, no! Not 60$! In 2012 I can buy so many other things with that money! /self-destruct
You could actually get a good game :phone:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'm getting it if Zombies return. Treyarchs back, as well, so that lightens this game up a bit.

Still looking forward to Halo 4 more, however. Though I did notice this games getting all futuristic.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
No, it's actually called investing in games that are actually worth the money. You can take the argument both ways, but I am a firm believer that by not giving your money to said company, you are sending a message to them you want change in a good way. We're not gonna be your sheep and help you make hundreds of millions in dollars for a product that is well...not much different from its predecessors.
First of all, CoD is a solid series. It really is. I may complain about things and say that CoD is bad, but it's really not. It's a fun FPS. Only MW2 and MW3 are bad. MW2 had potential. There's overall good gun balance and great netcode. OMA Tubes and MLC ruined it.

Secondly, even if say Banjo and I were to say no it and not be Activision's "sheep," do you really think it would make a difference? There are far too many 12-15 year olds buying it for just a few people on a internet forum to make a difference. And guess what? They'll never stop buying it, so Activision will continue to get their money.

I'm getting it if Zombies return. Treyarchs back, as well, so that lightens this game up a bit.

Still looking forward to Halo 4 more, however. Though I did notice this games getting all futuristic.
Zombies IS returning. That was confirmed way back. Zombies is one of my favorite game modes in the CoD Series. But Halo 4 looks like it will be a solid title. Get both if you can.

Heh, anyone who is working and has common sense will think twice before making a purchase. There's so many things to worry about: Food, gas, bills, gf and etc. I always see that money better invested with something else that is actually offering me something new than the old formula over again.

For a nineteen year-old? Nah, all I pay is my phone bill. I still live with my Mom and Dad. They do all the rest.

And no, I don't feel happy getting sixty dollars and dumping it in the garbage, I don't care if this is the year 2000 or 2012. Because hey, getting something that offers me as much as something I already own is the same as throwing money in the trash bin.

C'mon Actvision, at least deliver us quality content this time. Renew the old formula, bring in something that will refresh the franchise. But seeing as how things are going, CoD is very successful and is getting them too much money, don't expect it to change anytime soon. 'Cause you know, why change what is not broken?

Black Ops DID renew the formula. It introduced different challenges for Pro Perks, introduced a currency system, introduced theater mode, introduced new killstreak ideas, introduced interesting perks, and made many other subtle innovations.

Somewhere inside Actvision HQs:

-Hur durr, it's making us so much money, let's not change how we develop the game and deliver content.
-What? So what will we work on to release to our consumers?
-Duh, let's just get the same **** over again, put a $60 price tag to it.
-Oh, Genius!

/rant

Edit:

It's not about preference, it's about the company behind it. Actvision has no integrity at all. But sure, if people are happy with what some companies thrown down their throat, then let them be.
Activision may not have integrity, but they release a product that I enjoy. I have a fifteen dollar monthly phone bill. The rest of my money is free game. I have no problem throwing out a measly $60.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
First of all, CoD is a solid series. It really is. I may complain about things and say that CoD is bad, but it's really not. It's a fun FPS. Only MW2 and MW3 are bad. MW2 had potential. There's overall good gun balance and great netcode. OMA Tubes and MLC ruined it.
If we all sit around and did nothing, then the world wouldn't change. These things always start out small before they get stronger. You think the "CoD is overrated" voice was this big 5-6 years ago? It's gotten progressively noisier, and you see more and more people post on video game forums they are never buying a game from the series again. You can believe that your one sale doesn't matter. However, you can also believe that if you stop buying it, show yourself as an example, spread the word, and get others to join the cause...it would send a message. There are countless examples through history that share the same example that I'm talking about. Some causes took longer than others. At the end of the day, most were achieved.

But hey, since you think the series is good, go for it. Enjoy copy and pasted buildings from older games + the same old same old if that's what gets you going.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
If we all sit around and did nothing, then the world wouldn't change. These things always start out small before they get stronger. You think the "CoD is overrated" voice was this big 5-6 years ago? It's gotten progressively noisier, and you see more and more people post on video game forums they are never buying a game from the series again. You can believe that your one sale doesn't matter. However, you can also believe that if you stop buying it, show yourself as an example, spread the word, and get others to join the cause...it would send a message. There are countless examples through history that share the same example that I'm talking about. Some causes took longer than others. At the end of the day, most were achieved.

But hey, since you think the series is good, go for it. Enjoy copy and pasted buildings from older games + the same old same old if that's what gets you going.
You're comparing CoD sales to something that's much bigger.

Truth be told, forums are a very small portion of the playerbase. Most of the people that play CoD are truely the most casual gamers you'll ever meet. They don't go on forums to discuss the game, they just turn on their Xbox and play for a few hours a day and leave it at that.

My one sale really doesn't matter, nor would my opinion if it were a negative one. The millions of people that buy CoD aren't going to pay attention to "Yummymexican" on Gamefaqs, "SnackAttack" on Smash World Forums, or even some random kid named Brian Sentz. I'm nobody.

And you can say that **** is copypasta'd all you want. The point is that I have fun for the most part, which is what video games are about, no?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
We'll just agree to disagree. In today's social media era, you'll be surprised how powerful the internet can be. If you think people found out about Occupy Wallstreet by simply watching CNN or Fox, then that's a big bad assumption.

But on a video game note, FF13 received praise from most gaming review sites, but it also made the year's top 10 disappointing games. Why? Because fans had a huge backlash about it. Where do you think that backlash comes from? From postcards? I think you are severely underestimating the power of forums, let alone the internet.

Look at the backlash Bioware received on Mass Effect 3. Did "one central voice" cause the explosion? No, it was a community that drove it forward. So if it can be done with these games, I don't see why not it can be done with CoD.

mitch2302

Smash Journeyman
We'll just agree to disagree. In today's social media era, you'll be surprised how powerful the internet can be. If you think people found out about Occupy Wallstreet by simply watching CNN or Fox, then that's a big bad assumption.

But on a video game note, FF13 received praise from most gaming review sites, but it also made the year's top 10 disappointing games. Why? Because fans had a huge backlash about it. Where do you think that backlash comes from? From postcards? I think you are severely underestimating the power of forums, let alone the internet.

Look at the backlash Bioware received on Mass Effect 3. Did "one central voice" cause the explosion? No, it was a community that drove it forward. So if it can be done with these games, I don't see why not it can be done with CoD.
Problem with this analogy is that ME3's fans are mostly longtime fans, and were served with an ending that was horrendous. CoD is still fun for the average player, and that's saying something, since the fanbase is 4x bigger.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oh look.

It's the same old **** in a CoD thread.

I wonder if i can find this in the MW3 thread too.

I got tired of spouting "It's THE DEVIL." ulti.

Folks are going to buy what they want to buy. But it's more than just spending the money. Money isn't the only thing they'll be spending. Their time, too. If it's what they want, let them. They're the ones who are encouraging this market go the direction it is going.

You can preach all you want, but it's not going to help. So save your time and don't waste it.

This is a thread about Call of Duty #757: New coat of paint edition. So talk about that and how you can't wait to run and gun with Perk that's like the other one in that other CoD game but has been modified, or Mp5 with modified stats. Talk about how you can't wait for the 5+ mappacks. Talk about the new premium membership black ops card that Activision will supply for $50. Talk about the amazing support received via patches and whatnot and how fast that drops when the next game is released. Talk about the amazing balance among the extensive repertoire of weaponry. Talk about snipers. Talk about the experiences.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Honestly, I'd be fine with letting people waste their time with this series if it didn't affect other games as well. If Craptivision is succeeding, then that means other companies will follow their example to succeed and then that floods into other games which end up become soulless cash cows like the CoD series ends up becoming at which point it truly does affect me :phone:

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion

Just in regards to that first paragraph - I think we're getting a little too serious here. If I ever found myself taking the time out of my busy day to go telling people not to buy another CoD game, I'd probably out myself. It's just a video game.

And as for the last part, why would they change a working formula? Why fix what isn't broken? By that logic, if you've by chance bought and played every smash bros game, I could turn around and say you've been "milked" by Nintendo.

This all boils down to personal preference and interest. Neither side can win this argument. It's like arguing with a Christian. But if people keep arguing about it then I'll keep trolling I guess. :smirk:

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
That's different how long is there between every smash? 5-8 years or something? At least they're not shoving out the same game every year with like 3 new characters and reskinned stages with the exact same layout :phone:

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I can understand people disliking CoD for coming out every single year. However saying "oh they are all the same" is silly since most sequels to games are very similar to the previous game.

DSTP

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes when I'm bored, I like to go into threads about games I've never touched and say how I'm not going to buy them / how bad they are.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
That's different how long is there between every smash? 5-8 years or something? At least they're not shoving out the same game every year with like 3 new characters and reskinned stages with the exact same layout :phone:
You basically just said that smash bros does the same thing as CoD but at a slower pace. Congratulations.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Didn't you scam Gamefly just so you could get Black Ops?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Didn't you scam Gamefly just so you could get Black Ops?
I was NOT going to spend 60$ on that piece of crap I only got it because F8AL kept bugging me about getting that game on 360

Besides, I also scammed a numerous amount of other games off them. Black Ops wasn't just the only game I got off them

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I was NOT going to spend 60$ on that piece of crap I only got it because F8AL kept bugging me about getting that game on 360

Besides, I also scammed a numerous amount of other games off them. Black Ops wasn't just the only game I got off them
Lol, sure ok then. Anyway I'm kind of surprised to see that this one series is getting this much hate, especially when there's a company like EA that is trying to discourage people buying used games by using the online pass (which now other companies are also using the online passes). If anything deserves to be boycotted, its EA and their online passes.

Top Bottom