• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Qs What are good ways and positions to land bullet seed? I sometimes try falling on or near the opponent but that rarely works. Players often air dodge through it from above. I think it has 2 hitbubbles on Ivy's sides at the start but it's hard to be in that close position.
Sometimes Ivy's tether will do the ledge grab animation but fail to attach. Notable if I'm far from the ledge or if the opponent edgehogs and climbs up as I upB. When should I go for the tether? Can Ivy upB attack whip and take the edgehogger down too by stage spiking them?
When should I Ftilt and when should I Dtilt?
In the past, I've seen reflex jump up to an opponent who was above him and use it, even if it was for a short burst. I've always been a fan of Nair -> BS and it's pretty reliable. From my last tournament, I learned that sometimes waiting for that moment when you notice your opponent tries to jump over you, punish them with BS. If you are certain your opponent will air dodge, then punish them when they land, for this in particular I have to say is really impulsive.

Tethering: I've had the same issues. Vine whip will reach super far and look like it's gonna grab the edge but doesn't. It'll be a judgement call for you when you should go for the ledge. I have the habit of throwing a razorleaf dead center at the ledge for insurance. Most good players will crawl back on stage with their invincibility frames right as you are about to vine whip them and it still causes a ledge hog. Sometimes it's best to go for the ledge immediately, others, like I said, you want to make sure you can actually get back, like using razor leaf. On less experienced players, at a certain percent and with the right aiming, you can spike them off the ledge and KO them before you get KO'd.

Should Squirt intercept opponents? If so, does he/she need to not go far under the stage or too far out (I SD a lot this way)?
Can Squirt trip when hydroplaning and doing his dash/turn thing in general?
Squirtle shouldn't obviously go far beyond his recovery range (unless it's the last stock and you want to take that gamble) but it is notable, if you can pursue an opponent off stage and you are capable of doing it, then do it. Squirtle can't trip while hydroplaning but can trip while shell shifting and/or dashing. It happens to me occasionally and it's a little frustrating.

I noticed Char turns in midair, how does that work? Can I Jump forward>tap backward>tap C forward to Bair while jumping forward?
Is Char's glide attack reliable or easy to hit him out of?

Thanks.
The first question I'm not sure. I might be misunderstanding your question. The second question, I think you can, I'm not entirely sure, I don't know if I've ever tried it. As for the glide attack, I find it useful. It rarely has ever failed me and you get a lagless land which leaves for an immediate follow-up

Hope this helps some. :)

T-block

B2B TST
If you're talking about forward hydroplane ("instant" hydroplane), Squirtle can still trip when entering the inputs. Forward hydroplane is essentially a pivot that gets cancelled by a jump, which gets cancelled by an u-smash. He still has a chance to trip on the pivot.

Characters with multiple mid-air jumps are able to turn around when they do so. Characters with only one mid-air jump will face the same way. As for your b-air question, I don't think what you're describing will have the desired effect - the act of turning around with your mid-air jump will already stop your forward momentum (it will actually introduce backward momentum)... it's not possible to turn yourself around while still jumping forward. You can do a retreating b-air in that fashion though. If you want forward moving b-air, you'll need to stick closer to the ground, with RAR b-air.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Just one thing I want to add :
If you're DIing towards the corner of the stage with Ivysaur (ie the right way), you'll be high enough to use Dair when the opponent grabs the ledge, then use Razor leaf when you're at the height of the stage, then UpB.
If your opponent doesn't try to hit you and just try to edgehog, there's nothing he can do about that (maybe the characters with a Z-air can edgehog you with a very good timing).
If you're facing a character with a good ability to edgeguard, it could be better to Razor Leaf immediatly after momentum cancelling so your back is facing the stage and you can defend yourself with Bair.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Hey all I'm BC.
I'm an Australian PT user and I was did some thinking.
I main Lucario and Lucas, well Lucas is now my doubles main so I needed a new single secondary. I decided to use PT because I'm a huge Pokemon fan so why not use him :)

Hope to learn many good things about PT while I'm here!

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Hey all I'm BC.
I'm an Australian PT user and I was did some thinking.
I main Lucario and Lucas, well Lucas is now my doubles main so I needed a new single secondary. I decided to use PT because I'm a huge Pokemon fan so why not use him :)

Hope to learn many good things about PT while I'm here!
Welcome! Hope you enjoy your stay!

Rizen

Smash Legend
Welcome :) . The PT boards are full of helpful friendly people. Feel free to ask questions or post replays in the video thread or just hang.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I haven't been able to play much due to finals getting in the way. Summertime starts after my last exam, which is tomorrow morning.

I reeeeeeally don't want to study today.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
My exams start tomorrow and working for 2/3 days out the weekend does not do me any justice, did I forget to mention last week was full of last minute stuff our professors gave us? I'm back against the wall so today is my cram day and I'll be studying my butt off to get the grades and then celebrate with the Avengers. :)

CoonTail

Smash Lord
welcome to the boards, BC ^^

so... i played for 11 hours yesterday x.x
The real #2 returns!!!!! HYPE!

Missed ya T-block homie, can't wait to see you putting in work. Will you have any vids up soon because I have recorded a lot since you have left!

And damn 11 hours putting in serious work!

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I realized something a bit ironic the other day: My two favorite/best characters (PT, and Captain Falcon) are the lowest ranked in the tier list out of all the characters I would actually use in a tourney (Falcon, PT, Kirby, Pikachu, Wolf, and maybe, just maybe Lucario)

I just find it interesting is all. Though I'm starting to think that my PT may not be my best character anymore, but he's still my first choice against my opponents. (Unless they are using Marth or Yoshi...)

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's a little depressing when you main a low tier because you like them, then learn to use other characters and start doing better with them because they're higher ranked.
That's how I feel at least.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's a little depressing when you main a low tier because you like them, then learn to use other characters and start doing better with them because they're higher ranked.
That's how I feel at least.
I mean, it's pretty much how competitive play works. Sure, certain playstyles might lend themselves to your enjoying them more, and better characters might be easier for you to use competently, but, there's pretty much always somewhere new to take your character, so you shouldn't ever feel like you've hit your potential limit with a character.

If there is truly more potential to be had, you can still rise above the initial success you feel with a character that you see more success with in the beginning. Until you're at a complete loss for possibilities, there's always more you can do, whether it's Meta Knight or Ganondorf. You just have to keep pushing and looking for ways to improve.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Until you're at a complete loss for possibilities, there's always more you can do,
^Yes. lol I know what you mean. Link is still my main and by far my best character. The skill tiers for how good I am with the characters I use go:
Link
Zelda/Wolf
G&W
Ganon
PT ( :( )
But the reason I chose to learn PT a long time ago is he was one of my worst 3 characters with Sonic and Lucario. Learning the pokemon helped me understand other characters better. I still suck with PT after all this time and probably will never be great with him. But that's okay; PT's fun to use and I learned sides of the game I never would have using characters I'm comfortable with.

The character imbalance is still a little depressing :urg:.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yeah. The PT boards are pretty dead. The only real activity we get are the threads I post (that no one responds to) and the video thread.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Hey guys so I am finally taking more time out for smash since I am kinda re-shaping a lot of my life right now.

That being said I want to hold a skype session tonight just as a start point for more skype sessions. I want to have everyone from Reflex down to the new PT's for a meet & greet/ Q & A.

I don't know who is interested and will be available but please let me know since I will most likely be able to start this by around 7-8pm Eastern.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Hey guys so I am finally taking more time out for smash since I am kinda re-shaping a lot of my life right now.

That being said I want to hold a skype session tonight just as a start point for more skype sessions. I want to have everyone from Reflex down to the new PT's for a meet & greet/ Q & A.

I don't know who is interested and will be available but please let me know since I will most likely be able to start this by around 7-8pm Eastern.
Well I have work until 8:30 Central time, so I'll be a little late joining the party.

Edit: Anyone want to play online tomorrow or something?

CoonTail

Smash Lord
-Bomber

I'd be down to wifi tomorrow and don't worry about being late I'll work with schedules since I want to make sure there are at least a few PT's to talk to!

Bomber7

Smash Hero
-Bomber

I'd be down to wifi tomorrow and don't worry about being late I'll work with schedules since I want to make sure there are at least a few PT's to talk to!
Sounds great, I dont know what time I will be able to wifi, but I will post a message tomorrow.

Also add me on skype. I use my other account now: Outcast_shadow

Rizen

Smash Legend
edit: ^can't we use the PT Xat? I have a bad habit of procrastinating on the i-net and don't want to get sucked in to skype and FB :/ .

Subway steak and cheese. It's gone now.
I can help with these MUs:
Link
Wolf, Zelda
G&W, Ganon.
and fake most characters.
I have good wifi connections with LA.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Skype isn't that bad. I prefer using it to keep up with friends over facebook. Plus it's very convenient when you have overseas connections or love interests.... >_>

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Not to mention the pokemon XAT has been dead forever and I really really really hate the layout of the XAT.

Skype allows me to be more personal with people along with answer questions without Walls of text. Lastly I will be working on getting a stream together so that as I discuss things you guys will be able to see what I am attempting to re-create.

Top Bottom