• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I truly believe that the only bad part is stalling. I edgehog all the time, and I expect people to do the same to me. My favorite thing to do of all time is to bucket the recovery of Lucas/Ness, it's hilarious.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Lol.

I think it's funny that people get so upset about me (us?) thinking that edge-hogging is lame. Because your thinking it is great and fun is not affected by my not enjoying it, whereas my not enjoying it is greatly affected by your thinking it is great and fun.

Anyway, I understand that zero ****s will be given if I do or do not edge-hog in a professional match. I'm just not on the "do whatever it takes to win" band wagon. Could that potentially lose me some games? Yes. Would I probably drop that mindset in a money match? Yes. but the bottom line is I would rather play a chivalrous and competitive match.

Honestly my main reason for playing the game is to play against some of my very best friends. And when we play each other it is very much like an honorable round of Kung Fu, there are no edge-hogs, there are no chain-grabs, there is no gay bull****.

It's not a matter of pride, but honor, in my opinion. And that changes for everyone. Don't get all uppity and offended by my point of view. You're in the majority.
Not saying anybody is wrong or right, but edgehogging isn't really a matter of "honor"

It's not gay, it's just the game. The whole point of the game is to knock the person off and make sure they don't make it back.

It's not even really a "tactic", it's just the way the game was designed

It's like playing american football with no tackles, or baseball with no catches

it's not like an infinite or an overpowered technique. It's just grabbing the edge.

(And this is coming from someone that doesn't CG his friends in friendlies, and kills myself when they sd at low percent. I can play for fun or "honorably" but we still edgehog, I just don't understand the reasoning at all why it's lame, if you are forced offstage why should you be able to come back with no problem?)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Anyway, I understand that zero ****s will be given if I do or do not edge-hog in a professional match. I'm just not on the "do whatever it takes to win" band wagon. Could that potentially lose me some games? Yes. Would I probably drop that mindset in a money match? Yes. but the bottom line is I would rather play a chivalrous and competitive match.

Honestly my main reason for playing the game is to play against some of my very best friends. And when we play each other it is very much like an honorable round of Kung Fu, there are no edge-hogs, there are no chain-grabs, there is no gay bull****.

It's not a matter of pride, but honor, in my opinion. And that changes for everyone. Don't get all uppity and offended by my point of view. You're in the majority.
As a Link main who's used him exclusively in 4 offline tourneys, 2 online and 2 ladders (1 joke),who 2nds Wolf, Zelda, G&W, Ganon, PT and uses all of them regularly I will say s*** happens:ohwell:. My favorite 'BSing' moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_QvrPS80bD8#t=210s We both lol-ed hard; he won the next 2 games of course (ladder match).
Lol.

I think it's funny that people get so upset about me (us?) thinking that edge-hogging is lame. Because your thinking it is great and fun is not affected by my not enjoying it, whereas my not enjoying it is greatly affected by your thinking it is great and fun.
This is what I meant by:
It's funny how different things bug people who use different characters. Edge hogging/avoiding it is a big part of Link's game so it doesn't bug me. Chaingrabs are a different story, lol.
Links hate the PSing system and Brawl in general because it gave Link the raw deal more than Melee. Hard working and cynical. Link needs to passively spam and is annoyed when scrubs say we're just spamming all the time (instead of jumping into your CG? Sorry.) Commonly annoyed by new people saying Link's good because they haven't played good people.
Zeldas dislike Olimar and G&W MUs because they're massacres. Marth just out-classes her all around. Zeldas fear that sort of new Shield SDI grab thing and are annoyed by people who think wifi helps Zelda (she needs precision in all her actions, attacks, chaining, and recovery).
Wolfs really hate DDD and being grabbed/CGed in general. Use lasers to interrupt actions and are annoyed when people say they're spamming because A) if the opponent knows the MU and is good then being a 'C stick' Wolf is really stupid and B) Wolf spaces more than camps, he barely can camp with blaster and if the attacks connect than it's effective vs the opponent's habits.
G&W (here we are) is overshadowed by other high tiers. He might first appear broken but many common MUs shut his options down hard. Tick off people by CPing RC.
Ganon just got the raw deal in Brawl (like Jiggz). I don't really visit the Ganon forums.
PTs have the common bad high tier MUs problem, sometimes like a certain Pokemon even if it's not the best choice, are big Pokemon 'fanboys' like Link mains are LoZelda 'fanboys' as it's been put. Love the grab game vs most opponents. Hate having Ivy thrown offstage and edgehogged, lol. Also seriously dislike the forced swap system.

There's their horoscopes, lol. Everyone has pet-peeves even MKs with the ban and lasers etc.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I just simply cannot understand the mindset behind "edgehogging is bad". I just don't understand it. Back in 08 when I was new to the game, I didn't understand edgehogging, I didn't realize only 1 char could grab the ledge at a time. Then when I found it out, I immediately shared the knowledge and we all started doing it and stuff was even better than before.
The "I want finish my opponent with style/skill/honor or whatever bull**** instead of cheap edgehogging mindset is usually on people who actually have no idea what they are doing anyways. Your opponent airdodges towards you and they just randomly happen to perform an fsmash that happens to beat the dodge without having read the dodge doesn't mean it was stylish or finished with skill, you just suck.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
Not saying anybody is wrong or right, but edgehogging isn't really a matter of "honor"
To you it's not, but some (me) it is. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I perform an edge-hog. It "feels" cheap. It "seems" cheap. All of my brawl peers agree that it is a inherently "lame". Therefore I do not feel good about it when I perform an edge-hog, I realize almost everyone disagrees. But I also believe it will push you further and beyond if you don't edge-hog you will have to find other ways to "legimately" KO your opponent.
It's like playing american football with no tackles, or baseball with no catches
I just don't understand the reasoning at all why it's lame, if you are forced offstage why should you be able to come back with no problem?)
I disagree, your analogy would be more like smash bros with out smash attacks or spikes. I believe a more fitting analogy would be basketball without fouls. This because a foul during a shot only hurts your opponent, right? he misses, right? it's only his feelings that are hurt, maybe an arm, oh well. Same thing with edge-hogging IMO. IMO IMO IMOIMO

I just simply cannot understand the mindset behind "edgehogging is bad". I just don't understand it. Back in 08 when I was new to the game, I didn't understand edgehogging, I didn't realize only 1 char could grab the ledge at a time. Then when I found it out, I immediately shared the knowledge and we all started doing it and stuff was even better than before.
I am glad you shared knowledge of this revolutionary knowledge with your counterparts.
Funny, though. It was different for me. In 1999 when I first discovered what an edge-hog was, I felt cheated. I probably cursed at my older brother and called him lame. Not much has changed about my view on edge-hogging.

To each their own though. Again, I'm not trying to convince anyone. It just irritates me though that objecting to edge-hogging is viewed as extreme and/or stupid around here.

cpus edgehog too, how dare they
I've never seen one perform a deliberate edge-hog.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Everybody can. I **** it up with bowser most of the time though, its gotten me killed. Dont laugh, bowser has a slow startup time on his dash and a weird fall speed its got a much different timing than any of my other characters.

:phone:

Rizen

Smash Legend
There are characters who cannot quick edgehod? Who? I have never heard such claim...
Wolf and Ganon, maybe others. You have to walk off the edge and angle the control stick forward and down a bit or SH barely off the stage and fall to the ledge. They can't run offstage>hold the control back toward the stage to edgehog.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I just did it with both, myth busted.

Wolf's was admittedly kinda wonky, but Ganon's was just as smooth as everyone elses

@Dexident, you don't see anything wrong with you seeing edgehogging as "cheap" as a child and still considering it so?

Have you not figured a way to beat it or something? You gotta explain to me why you think it's cheap, man, I just don't understand

like, at all.

It's a foreign concept to me, I can understand CGs, infinites, even tornado spam like you said, but edgehogging? Like there is nothing overpowering about it that should leave a bad taste in your mouth

What is different about it than someone landing a smash attack on you?

Dude i'm not trying to put you down, i just don't understand your logic. I'm looking at it as, you're putting a large risk into something that could potentially kill you. Like edgehogging a marth with a jump, if you predict wrong you will get stagespiked and teching is not really a viable option because if you try to tech and you don't get edgehogged you are now in a vulnerable position offstage with marth. The same way if you predict wrong, onstage or whatever you can eat a smash, but that's less risk (unless you're at high percent) most of the time there's a high chance you can get killed yourself if you screw up

5:40 this match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOwR3rlvwa4&feature=plcp

You mean to tell me i'm cheap for trying to edgehog him there? After I fight through terribly annoying walls of spam to put him in that situation? I almost die because I miss the quick edgehog because i'm so mentally strained from him dragging every match to damn near 6 minutes. And then look at the final kill in which instead of edgehogging (which I could have done) i spaced a d-smash and got the same result. Was that d-smash cheap. and I a cheap dishonorable player?

Like I just don't understand, I could have just as easily lost that match. In the first match of the set, i overestimated my edge invincibility and got hit off the ledge, if I was at a higher percent it would have equal'd a stagespike and I would have died.

You're telling me edgehogging is in the same category as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opkgf7SLB5A

that's dumb...

look at this classic example of what could go wrong http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5825Wu0WjA (it's also a hilarious favorite video of mine)

Look that's all i'm gonna say, sorry if I'm being annoying, or blowing it out of proportion, i just literally have been trying to understand this logic since melee days. I recently just introduced a new smasher into the scene and I told him how AZ has a very "honorable" mentality and then he goes: "that's funny, coming from an edgehogger" and I was just like... wat? So many people feel this way and I just don't understand why...

Rizen

Smash Legend
^technically you didn't. You either walked off, not ran off or drifted out a bit and came back which has a lot more vulnerability the quick edgehogging.
Everything Ganon is extremely outdated and I couldn't find any info on him edgehogging. I'll ask Bloodknight or someone later.
Edit, I guess Ganon's is the same; I assumed you would slide out and couldn't tap back without also angling down a little but it's just weird animation. I always just angled down and back because it seemed to work better but he's big and it looks like he 'warps down' to edge hog either way.
Wolf can't quick edgehog for sure:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=218126
Speed Hugging
Description:
Some characters, such as Metaknight can just run off the edge and press the other direction to quickly grab/hog the edge. Wolf however, due to his character properties such as fall and air speed, is unable to do this using the same method as Metaknight. However, Wolf can still quickly grab the edge through the use of speed hugging. A demonstration of speed hugging can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z32hjrBgjyY

How to Perform:
In order to execute this tactic, all you have to do is press diagonally down away from the stage once you reach the edge. You will have to practice the timing a little bit to get it down, but eventually, it will become second nature.

Anyone who still thinks it's a myth can always post asking about if Wolf can quick edgehog like most characters on the Wolf social...

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
^technically you didn't. You either walked off, not ran off or drifted out a bit and came back which has a lot more vulnerability the quick edgehogging.
Everything Ganon is extremely outdated and I couldn't find any info on him edgehogging. I'll ask Bloodknight or someone later.
Edit, I guess Ganon's is the same; I assumed you would slide out and couldn't tap back without also angling down a little but it's just weird animation. I always just angled down and back because it seemed to work better but he's big and it looks like he 'warps down' to edge hog either way.
Wolf can't quick edgehog for sure:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=218126
Speed Hugging
Description:
Some characters, such as Metaknight can just run off the edge and press the other direction to quickly grab/hog the edge. Wolf however, due to his character properties such as fall and air speed, is unable to do this using the same method as Metaknight. However, Wolf can still quickly grab the edge through the use of speed hugging. A demonstration of speed hugging can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z32hjrBgjyY

How to Perform:
In order to execute this tactic, all you have to do is press diagonally down away from the stage once you reach the edge. You will have to practice the timing a little bit to get it down, but eventually, it will become second nature.

Anyone who still thinks it's a myth can always post asking about if Wolf can quick edgehog like most characters on the Wolf social...
Ah, ok, you learned me. I get you now.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I 'learned' myself about Ganon too. Lol I never found edgehogging in Ganon guides and got in the habit of angling down for a second because his animation. I probably got the idea because I was overshooting the ledge when learning him.
I habitually angle down for that split second when tapping towards the stage with floatys like Zelda, Ivy and Charizard and some randoms too because I'm used to fast falling speed characters but I knew it wasn't required for them.

It's all part of the vast world of learning Brawl's mechanics lol:estatic:.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Yeah Bowser is similar. I ALWAYS mess up his quick grab but I know he can because I did it the other day.

I <3 Bowser.

I'm gonna try and become a top Bowser, it's a shame he has like no active mains right now

I just gotta become a better player first, though =/

Rizen

Smash Legend
Bowser's air movement and falling speed really throw me off. The don't seem logical (another common aspect of Brawl's magical mechanics). His DownB edgehogging is good but looks crazy; Bowser floats in the air, stops and goes into his 'sitting position' then shoots down superfast, then somehow ends up holding the ledge. I'm glad DDD has to cancel the attack on his UpB before he can grab the ledge.

The only great Bowser main I can think of is Zigsta. I don't see many Bowser players anymore :(

Rizen

Smash Legend
Oh, sorry I left you out. It's hard to keep track of everyone and I keep thinking you main G&W or Yoshi because your pic and little character heads under your name on the left.

D

Deleted member 189823

I am not a pro Bowser main, but I like to think I am decent at least.
Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZFeG5nH5oA

This video is kind of outdated...by like two weeks, but there's not much change other than the fact that I don't fall for the D-Air queen as much. You don't need to watch everything, but just the first match. 8P

Rizen

Smash Legend
I am not a pro Bowser main, but I like to think I am decent at least.
Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZFeG5nH5oA

This video is kind of outdated...by like two weeks, but there's not much change other than the fact that I don't fall for the D-Air queen as much. You don't need to watch everything, but just the first match. 8P
Good stuff Oz;).

Just because Princess Peach has had pre-marital [censored] with... [censored], it doesn't make her the D-air queen.
Hey where do you find people to play in wifi? I've been using fsmash, but it seems like nobody is ever on when I am.
http://allisbrawl.com/ chat> freeplay or ladder
http://brawlfriendcodes.com/ chat+ > wifi hub (good luck with this)
Most characters have their own Xat chats linked to the 1st page of their social thread too.

(Answering a question directly =/= advertising :/ )

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Sweet, I'll have to try that when I get the time (finals are fun)

And I saw this AT that you can slide off of a ledge, like Mario's cape glide. I was messing around with it, and btw All special moves (except Up) can do this. Judgement and BACON can be reversed, leaving you right under the stage. Not sure if anyone uses this, but I thought it was pretty cool, could be good for ledge games.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I don't know how entirely practical the Akuma Jump is but it's still a recent discovery. Its not a stretch to see someone make good use of it. But does :gw: even get a good enough slide from it?

ZTD | TECHnology

Most "new" techniques usually fit that criteria. There's just always that one guy who's actually proactive enough to tell people on the Boards lol.

Also after a Smashfest I realize, my :gw: (I like using the icon if you haven't figured this out yet lol) is pretty solid. I've got a gameplan though to iron out the wrinkles in my gameplay with him. I'm hosting a regional in June so hopefully by then, I'll see some serious improvement. Very stoked about this.

Besides I gotta be a good role model for the only other serious :gw: player in my state.

:denzel:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Most "new" techniques usually fit that criteria. There's just always that one guy who's actually proactive enough to tell people on the Boards lol.

Also after a Smashfest I realize, my :gw: (I like using the icon if you haven't figured this out yet lol) is pretty solid. I've got a gameplan though to iron out the wrinkles in my gameplay with him. I'm hosting a regional in June so hopefully by then, I'll see some serious improvement. Very stoked about this.

Besides I gotta be a good role model for the only other serious :gw: player in my state.

:denzel:
There's close to nothing new since like, 2010. Even the good things are just combining ATs or finding a new way to apply old tactics.
I actually discovered a completely new AT for Link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY1M7HIUMnQ&feature=plcp
It works like shield dashing but since Link immediately 'stands' when shield is released his Hylian Shield guards immediately (even in shield drop lag) the slide distance of a shield dash. If Link runs>taps shield>releases the control stick the Hylian Shield blocks like normal but while sliding it takes usual no stun or knock-back. So Link could Hylian Guard Slide through Samus's charged beam shot with no knock back and Smash her.
The problem is HGS only blocks range attacks and Samus could Dtilt instead. So Power Shielding all-around better :/ .

That has FAR more views than my other videos:eek:!

G&W is flat, couldn't he just be ironed period?

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Yeah, I don't see any uses of the Akuma Jump for us.

But back to the reverse bacon spike.. It also sends a piece of bacon to the stage, which is good for people doing a getup attack or jumping. Definitely need to practice bacon sliding, Hammer sliding not as much, it's only useful if I need that lucky 9 to get back in the game.

Rizen

Smash Legend
(active thread)
Ugh. My cat kept stating at a small paper coffee shop bag in that eerie psychotic obsessive way they do. Cats like bags and boxes. Then she'd bat at it and I head a creepy scampering coming from the bag. I then knew this was one of the 1 in 30 times that she actually was staring at a real thing. She batted at it again and it scampered again. I held the bag open with a pen or something and there was an ugly big*** centipede inside. I smashed it and told my cat 'good girl, you found the buggy'. Centipedes are icky but the creepy 'living bag realization' was what got to me. Ugh.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
One time up at my cabin (which is now on the verge of burning, ****ing Arizona fires) I went to bed, pulled the sheets up and got all comfy, then I felt an itch in my leg, so I scratched at it. It was a freaking centipede. I fell about 3 feet out of bed onto the hardwood floor, landing flat on my face and then flailed for a full minute, trying to get it off me. (I think it fell of after like.. 2 seconds) I woke up everyone with my violent movements on the floor, and they thought I was dying. After I stood up, we looked for it for like.. 5 minutes before I heard a screeching-like sound and saw the centipede barreling full speed towards me. I took a shoe and beat the **** out of that thing. Centipedes are so freaky when they're pissed.

ZTD | TECHnology

WTF since when do centipedes screech??

Oh lord, they're evolving.

And LMAO those tech chases were hilarious, Tom. I told you man... double :gw: is just too much for anyone to handle.

Top Bottom