• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The PokéSmash College of Design - Round Ten!

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
Smogon didn't ban hax items other than brightpowder and lax incense.
Quick Claw too, and I'm sure there are others iirc.
And besides, 9/10 times it'd be better to have and item like an Orb, Leftovers, or a choice item.

:phone:

Maybe I've just got fourth gen on the brain. If there seems to be confusion odds are its because I'm out of the loop on non-conventional item use in B/W.
Fourth gen all the way~

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Fifth Gen was the first time hax items were ever banned by Smogon, and the evasion items I mentioned were the only two they've banned.

The banning of quick claw and such is a common piece of misinformation. I'm not sure where it comes from (unless other hax items were in fact banned for a very brief moment of Smogon's history before, but they certainly no longer are now), but its wrong.

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
I know in fourth gen that hax items were frowned upon in standard play, hence why no one used them.
It may have been due them being perceived as being banned, or just that it's a silly unfair advantage.
I guess times are changing.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm pretty unhappy with the review I got on the last prompt because I felt that most of the stuff that was said was wrong.

However, I'm not sure if it's considered rude and self-centred to criticise the review when we're already on the next prompt.

I wasn't going to ask for a new mark or anything, just point out all the mistakes. So should I point them out or just drop it?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Personally I'm just not sure which prompt you mean by "the last prompt".

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Hurry up and crown me the winner of everything forever so I can have a Choice item in my postbit. :bee:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Hmm... How about giving Pressure the ability to reduce the Opponent's HP by 6.25% each turn. Just enough to negate the effects of Leftovers. Pressure is essentially a Stall Ability, and sole purpose of a stall team is to try to stalemate the opponent as long as possible while dealing residual damage to them over time.

It also makes the ability more usefull for the frailer more offensive pressure users
such as Aerodactyl and Absol, granting them OHKO's and 2HKO's that they, otherwise, wouldn't be able to achieve.

I don't know if this idea has been mentioned before, but I wasn't willing to search through 100+ forum pages to make sure... Opinions?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Sorry Xiroey, but I had already started judging and stuff.

Change the effect of the ability Pressure.
PP Drain Boost - UltiMario
Creativity: 7/10
Competitive: 7/10
Sexiness: 7/10
I like the idea, but the PP drain isn't really big deal for anything but 8 PP moves. Draco Meteor users probably wouldn't mind, since that's more of a hit-and-run (or hit-and-OHKO) move. Substitute now is one of the only things holding this back from being absolutely amazing. Weavile is jumping for joy, Aerodactyl will love it but might hesitate with Stone Edge, all of the legendary dogs would love it. Absol might not like it so much, as Sucker Punch is already pretty easy to dodge. Deoxys formes, Dialga, Palkia, and Mewtwo can now OHKO everything several times over, though Ubers was already a very offensively-paced tier, so this might not be as drastic a change as I think.

Average score: 7/10

Reverse Accupressure - TheReflexWonder
Competitive: 6/10
You summed up my thoughts on this ability pretty well. Could either be devastating or useless on walls. However, I disagree with your opinion on luck-based effects. Just because there already is a lot of luck in Pokemon doesn't justify throwing in more. If anything, it'd be ideal to reduce the impact that luck has on Pokemon. But that's neither here nor there, as this flavor of hax is the kind you can rely on (it'll likely be afflicing your opponent over many turns), like Machamp's Dynamicpunch confusion hax.

Average score: 6.7/10

Exit Hazard - Xonar
Creativity: 6/10
Competitive: 8/10
Sexiness: 8/10
Cool idea here. I like how it works a passive Pursuit. Definitely helpful on the walls Dusclops, Dusknoir, and Spiritomb, who can force switches. On Weavile and Aerodactyl, it makes revenge killing more effective, since switching out to avoid a speedy sweeper means taking some signficiant damage if you also take into account entry hazards. Also, RestTalk Aerodactyl with Roar and Whirlwind lolol

Average score: 7.3/10

Flinch - Bing
Probably should note that that the way flinch chance is calculated would be pretty inconsistent. King's Rock and Razor Fang give a multiplicative 10%, but this ability would give an additive 20%? Regardless, this ability could be interesting. 20% flinch isn't too bad by itself, since it requires you to be faster than your opponent. Stacking flinch chance also probably wouldn't be too bad, since most flinching moves have pretty low base powers. Deoxys with Zen Headbutt is one exception. That **** would be ridiculous. Aerodactyl with Rock Slide, Iron Head, and maybe Bite is a sizable buff, though you're sacrificing quite a bit of power, and you're still really frail. Overall, I'd say this ability is a bit too hax-y for my tastes, but it probably wouldn't be overpowered.

Average score: 6.7/10

Congratulations to this week's winner, Xonar!

This week's prompt:
Deadline: Sunday, May 27 at 12:00 midnight CDT

Create a Pokemon-specific item (ie, Light Ball and DeepSeaTooth).

Bing

Smash Master
aww I thought I would get higher... D:

Even though its over, just want to make sure it was marked as every move getting the increase not just increasing moves that already have a chance to cause flinching. So you could have a Zapdos with Pressure using Thunder and having a 20% chance to make them Flinch.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
[COLLAPSE="Reuniclus Specific Item"]Item: Reverse Fragment

Description: A Reuniclus specific item. A trick room will be created immediately upon Reuniclus' switch in. It only lasts 2-3 turns rather than 5, and the trick room will vanish should Reuniclus switch out. The reverse fragment reacts with reuniclus's molecular structure to activate it's TR effect, so Reuniclus takes 1/8 of its HP as damage each turn.

Purpose: The most notable and most obvious purpose of this item is that it allows Reuniclus to attack right away without need to set up trick room before hand. This turns him into a fearful revenge killer, and a potent offensive pivot.

It solves Reuniclus' troublesome 4 move syndrome, allowing him to work in TR without wasting a move slot.

In terms of team play, Reuniclus will be able to work on almost any team due to the fact that the reverse fragment's effects only last as long as reuniclus is in play.

Ironically, reverse fragment is not reccomended for teams focused around TR. The reason for this is that if TR is already in play, the reverse fragment will revert the dimensions back to normal. Whats more, should Reuniclus attempt to carry both a RF and TR, he will first have to either revert the dimensions back or wait for the reverse fragment's effects to wear off before setting up a true TR that will remain in play after he switches out.

Whats more, Reuniclus must sacrifice some bulk if it choses to use RF since it loses 1/8 of its HP each turn the item is held.

Additional Info
  • If the opponent's pokemon is holding a reverse fragment as well (it can be any pokemon, not just reuniclus) then Reuniclus's reverse fragment will fail to activate.
  • If the opponent uses Trick against Reuniclus and takes away it's fragment, the TR effect will disapear regardless of how much time was left. However, should the opponent use Trick again, trick room will not reactivate. It only actiates upon switch in. This also holds true for the residual damage effect. As a result, Knock Off, Thief, ect. will deactivate the item as well.
  • Reuniclus will continue to recieve residual damage after the TR effect has worn off.

[/COLLAPSE]

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Does the item have any special properties if flung? Or is it just 90 BP like the DeepSea items and Thick Club?

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Thanks for pointing that out.
Here are the Fling effects:

• If flung at the opponent, the reverse fragment will shatter and cause the energies surrounding the Opponents side of the field to become unstable. The opponent will then:
    • Take 1/16th of their HP as damage each switch in.
      • It will not stack with itself, but it will stack with Spikes and SR
      • It will hit levitating and flying foes
    • Be unable to rapid spin away the effects
    • Be able to neutralize the effects by sending in any pokemon holding an RF.

It's actually intended to be a different generation of items ouside of the typical "stat boosting" items such as the Thick Club, Stick, ect. Similar items might be a Dark Pendant (for gothitelle) that will cause Heal block upon switch in or so on. Each one will cause different odd effects when flung. Of course, there wouldn't be any more than two or three since it would be unreasonable to expect the opponent to carry each item in order to counter them all.

The fling effect might seem a bit unorthodox, but when you pointed that out I asked myself "What purpose might the opponent have for holding a RF aside from countering one simple strategy?".

Bing

Smash Master
I think I thought of a faily decent idea, I just dont know if its too broken...
2 days late but whatever its a fairly basic idea.

Steel Spoons. Used on Alakazam(And his pre-volutions?)

Relatively basic affect. Doubles the defense stats of Alakazam.

Alakazams biggest flaw, lack of Defense and hp. So while we cant fix all of his issues, we can fix some, so by doubling his defense stats, we end up with a fairly decent Defense stat(90), a respectable one at that, and we also end up with a SpDefense stat of 170, which is enormous. Now you may be thinking that this is a bit broken, but the flaw still remains thats Alakazam also has terrible hp. So even though it has high defenses and overall stats, its hp will still hold it back a bit.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
lol completely forgot about this.

Whatever. I didn't have any good ideas anyways.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Create a Pokemon-specific item (ie, Light Ball and DeepSeaTooth).
Reverse Fragment - Xiroey
Creativity: 5/10
This item makes Reuniclus an incredibly potent revenge killer that still retains its usual counters thanks to the short duration. The loss of Leftovers or Life Orb is noticable, though.

Average score: 6.3/10

Steel Spoons - Bing
Creativity: 4/10
Competitive: 8/10
Sexiness: 5/10
A bulky Alakazam is an interesting idea. Your base speed is high enough that you aren't hurt too much by transfering EVs to HP. You learn Recover and have Magic Guard. Even with signficiant HP EV investment, you're not that physically bulky, sill being OHKOed by things like +1 Gyarados. Focus Sash and Life Orb would probably still be preferred on more offensive sets. If anything, it's another option for Alakazam.

Average score: 5.7/10

Congratulations to this week's winner, Xiroey!

This week's prompt:
Deadline: Sunday, June 10 at 12:00 midnight CDT

Give a dual-typed Pokemon a third type. If a Pokemon would become triply weak or resistant to a type, it instead takes six or one-sixth times damage.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
AFRO PICK - Bouffalant's favorite hair accessory

Effect
If Bouffalant uses an attack that would cause recoil, damage taken before the attack is used is reduced by 50%. In addition, Bouffalant will heal from recoil instead of being damaged. Does nothing if held by other Pokemon.

Notes
  • Bouffalant is known for his signature move, Afro Break (poorly translated as Head Charge). An item to take advantage of that and his low speed would be most helpful.
  • Also works with Wild Charge and strangely with Struggle.
  • Afro Pick is very flavorful in conjunction with his Pokedex entry in Pokemon Black - "Their fluffy fur absorbs damage, even if they strike foes with a fierce headbutt."
  • Bouffalant makes very 'hairy' Substitutes.
  • Bouffalant can go as low as 100 speed, so you'd best be packing some residual damage!
  • If Flung, it will do minimum damage with no effect - I believe it was 10.
  • Bouffalant can be completely walled by Golurk, and Dusclops so he's definitely counterable.
  • Bouffalant won't be happy to see Ferrothorn, but he learns Revenge and Reversal if that strikes your fancy. EQ will do similar damage while Megahorn will do equivalent damage to unboosted Revenge.
  • Doesn't make sense? Go complain about Red Card or Swimming Goggles.
If Game Freak made this, it would probably be really generic and give something like x2 speed. 408 speed is pretty cool and all, but it's certainly not interesting.

If I actually liked luck in Pokemon, the effect would be: Physical contact with Bouffalant inflicts Swagger on the opponent after damage. This includes you and your opponent's attacks. If Bouffalant learned Psych Up, I would definitely submit this instead.

EDIT: Fail. Missed due date.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I don't know a whole lot about competitive Pokemon, but I've been meaning to give one of these prompts a try.

Poison | Fighting | Dark

Dark would get rid of that glaring Psychic weakness, and adds STAB for moves like Sucker Punch (even Payback/Dark Pulse depending on the moveset).

Gains a 1/2 resistance towards Ghost in exchange for Fighting moves hitting neutrally. Resists Dark for 1/4 instead of 1/2.

Toxicroak's pretty sinister looking anyway, Dark could probably suit it well lol. :D

Bing

Smash Master
Ghost Poison +Dark Gengar

Adds stab to attacks such as Dark Pulse and payback.

Gengar only has 3 weaknesses which are Ghost, Psychic and Dark. By adding a dark typing, its weakness to both Dark and Ghost becomes x1 and is now Immune to Psychic.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
I'm new but I really wanted to do this so:

Psychic | Steel | Ground

Gains STAB on Earthquake.

Metagross's only weaknesses are are Ground and Fire, and he now becomes 1/2 resistant to fire.
Water moves to 2X however.

Electric now has no effect, and Grass and Ice are now normal resist.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Yeah, no excuses this time, I'm lazy. I'm increasing the length of each round to two weeks because it really isn't fair that no one can enter during my stupid downtime. In the meantime, I'll do my best to be on time next time.
Give a dual-typed Pokemon a third type.
Dark Toxicroak - Neon Ness
Creativity: 3/5
Sexiness: 4/5
STAB Sucker Punch is very attractive, making Bulk Up variants (well, the only variant) much more powerful. Removal of the Psychic weakness is significant regarding Reuniclus, though it can still potentially mindgame you down to 0 Sucker Punch PP.

Total score: 14/20

Dark Gengar - Bing
Creativity: 3/5
Sexiness: 3/5
STAB on Dark Pulse is pretty irrelevant, because it gives redudant type coverage with Shadow Ball (that Dark Pulse can hit Normal-types is insignificant because you're not killing Chansey or Blissey with it anyway). On the defensive side, this makes Gengar just barely able to take average Dark- and Ghost-type moves. Gengar can actually switch into Tyranitar without signficant Attack investment, for one. Hard to say how this will affect Gengar, though... it's usually either sitting behind a Substitute or praying it doesn't get hit.

Total score: 12/20

Ground Metagross - Dotcom
Creativity: 4/5
Sexiness: 3/5
Losing a resistance to Ice would likely hurt quite a bit, as Metagross no longer fills its role as a Dragon-type's partner. STAB Earthquake is appealing, considering the decent type coverage that Steel/Ground gives. However, Metagross still suffers from four-moveslot syndrome pretty badly. Having to pick between Ice Punch and Thunderpunch on Agiligross is painful; Ice Punch leaves you vulnerable to Gyarados, Thunderpunch leaves you vulnerable to Gliscor, and either way you're walled by the likes of Rotom-W.

Total score: 13/20

Congratulations to this week's winner, Neon Ness!

This week's prompt:
Deadline: July 8th at 12:00 midnight CDT

Pick any one move to be a new BW2 move tutor and some of the Pokemon that will learn it (distribution within reason; Venusaur isn't getting Sacred Fire anytime soon).

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
All right, what's going on with this? I take it this is defunct now and I should unstick it?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Wave made an extremely tedious and uninteresting prompt and then it died.

Not big surprise.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Actually I been meaninf to answer it.
Just don't like typing it all via phone.

Already know the move, who learns, strategy, ect.

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
Can I be the one to revive this thread? It looks fun.

EDIT: nvm. I thought this was a drawing thread.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Not sure how I forgot to unstick this after all this time. Oops.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I sorta wish this could be revived

Because it's a good idea

and fun

and if it's a decent prompt it only takes 10-20 minutes out of someone's time to do, so everyone can participate.
If only there were more people in the PC.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'd honestly try and run it myself, but I don't think I'm well-versed enough in competitive play to come up with good prompts, and certainly not enough to judge properly.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'd do it if it wasn't for the fact I want to participate in these.

I might still consider doing it, though. hmm.

Top Bottom