• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shy Guy (Stage hazard and smash run enemy confirmation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I nerfed the chain chomp on the baby bros thread, but I haven't got round to nerfing it on the yoshi series one.
I gave the spiny shell quite a bit of cool down to even it out.
Okay, then. I still find Shy Guy a better option. :troll: :awesome:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
What? Baby bros being Yoshi characters?
which they are.
Yeah, because it seems weird that Mario and Luigi are categorized in a different franchise than their past selves.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I wasn't actually. I was going to mention that it is yoshi series and the baby bros are in! :D
And Yoshi's in a ton of Mario games. Is he a Mario character? Same with Wario and(to a lesser extent) Donkey Kong.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Wow, this is weird. Your saying pretty much exactly what I was saying when I was trying to convince everyone that shy guy was a Yoshi character. How the hell are you using arguments for somone being a yoshi character in an argument against them being a yoshi character!?
Yoshi's in a ton of mario games, they just wanted to give him his own series because the yoshis island games were incredibly popular!

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Wow, this is weird. Your saying pretty much exactly what I was saying when I was trying to convince everyone that shy guy was a Yoshi character. How the hell are you using arguments for somone being a yoshi character in an argument against them being a yoshi character!?
Yoshi's in a ton of mario games, they just wanted to give him his own series because the yoshis island games were incredibly popular!
Because it seems to work both ways. Besides, Yoshi has had games without Mario.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
My ideas:

^B: Stilts (Yoshi's Story) - Stilts grow from the Shy Guy's feet and lift him upward. He may walk on the stilts, doing minor damage to enemies and the stilts will block hits for him, at the cost of some small knockback and stun time. If, however, the Shy Guy takes the hit, he will be knocked off the stilts and fall uncontrollably.
If used in the air, the Shy Guy will have no control until the stilts reach full height, at which point they drop downwards as a minor damage projectile.

0B: Melon Seed (Yoshi's Island) - The Shy Guy will stretch upwards and then compress himself, spitting out a melon pip as he returns to his normal size. This move can also hit with the head as it extends upwards.

>B: Flambe (Uncertain Origin) - The Shy Guy will whip out a flaming plate of food (looks a lot like the curry) and then imediately trip up (even in the air), sliding forwards a little bit in addition to his prior momentum and going into freefall if airborne. Ideally, the move's damage would scale with momntum but that seems unlikely to work.

vB: No idea yet (???) - *shrugs*

0 air: Pirouette (Mario Kart: Double Dash) - The Shy Guy suddenly has skates and twirls gracefully, keeping any prior momentum but allowing for greater movement control.

FS: Void Stare (Mario Power Tenis) - The Shy Guy removes his mask to reveal that the holes are infact in his head. Darkness seems to swirl into them from all around and anyone looking into his eyes, regardless of distance will be frozen in place until the move ends and take many hits of medium damage from the shock. He then whips out another mask from his internal pocket to replace it.
This move has very fast startup and is inescapable once you are in its effect but it can be avoided simply by facing the other way.

P.S.: These are from a previous discussion, they in no way steal ideas from this topic and any similarity is a mere coincidence.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
As much as I want Shy Guy in, the Yoshi series hasn't done anything since before Brawl. An if the Yoshi series was to get another character, it would be Kamek, the Baby Mario Bros or Baby Bowser (not Bowser Jr.)

:phone:

SamBananas

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamBananas
I feel like if any Mario series character were to make it in it would be either a baby variation of the already implemented characters, or Toad. Although I would LOVE to see Shy Guy added, especially with that Final Smash.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Oh, hey guys! Sorry, been busy for a while. Poppy Bro and Seika, both of your movesets are awesome, I'll link them to the first post.

Thanks for keeping the support alive ^_^

ryuu seika

Smash Master
No problem. Thanks for making him a thread.

I don't really like helicopters and wings (a la Snake and Pit) in SSB, hence my favouring of the stilts, but I do understand how the Fly Guy is the obvious ^B choice.
The difference between the movesets, in my opinion, is that Poppy has gone for a serious character while I've tried to keep the Shy Guy feeling comical in a similar fashion to Game & Watch.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

I don't really like helicopters and wings (a la Snake and Pit) in SSB, hence my favouring of the stilts, but I do understand how the Fly Guy is the obvious ^B choice.
The difference between the movesets, in my opinion, is that Poppy has gone for a serious character while I've tried to keep the Shy Guy feeling comical in a similar fashion to Game & Watch.
well, there is no 'right' way to do it, obviously. I think fly guy just feels more natural for a flying up b, but natural isn't always better, either.

I think shy guy would be funny as someone trying to pull off a serious moveset, but the moves end up comical, almost like he's faked his way into the game. Like pulling his mask off and using it as a projectile. idk. not like it's gonna happen xD

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Shy Guy? Might work. He's cute in Mario Power Tennis and he could have an interesting move set. However, he is sadly a minor character.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

Well, I did try for a serious character, but some of the moves are comical, at least slightly(Groove Guy spin for dash attack). But I do agree, although I feel a mixture would benefit Shy Guy the most.

@Ove: But then again, so are the Ice Climbers, but they've stuck around for what is certain to be 3 games. NOTE: They represent something bigger, but they themselves are minor. Shy Guy could represent something bigger--the countless amount of Nintendo enemies--while still offering a unique moveset and playstyle, very much like the Ice Climbers did in Melee.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
If we wanted to add minions, we would need their own game. Super Smash Minions! Play as Koopa, Waddle Dee, Metroid and Goombas! It's already better then ET, the game

jigglover

Smash Lord
@Ove: But then again, so are the Ice Climbers, but they've stuck around for what is certain to be 3 games. NOTE: They represent something bigger, but they themselves are minor. Shy Guy could represent something bigger--the countless amount of Nintendo enemies--while still offering a unique moveset and playstyle, very much like the Ice Climbers did in Melee.
You deserve a trophy or something! I could kiss you! (I won't)

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Well, I did try for a serious character, but some of the moves are comical, at least slightly(Groove Guy spin for dash attack). But I do agree, although I feel a mixture would benefit Shy Guy the most.

You mean like enemies like Bowser, Ganondorf, Wolf, King Dedede, Meta Knight, and Wario. Also there's Ridley, King K Rool, Bowser Jr, Kamek, King Boo, Captain Syrup, Medusa, Meowth, Mewtwo, Darkrai, Giavonni, Dark Samus, Ghirahim, Vaati, Skull Kid, Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, Fawful, Claus/ Masked Man, Porky, and many other enemies that should be in before they put in generic enemies.

jigglover

Smash Lord
You mean like enemies like Bowser, Ganondorf, Wolf, King Dedede, Meta Knight, and Wario. Also there's Ridley, King K Rool, Bowser Jr, Kamek, King Boo, Captain Syrup, Medusa, Meowth, Mewtwo, Darkrai, Giavonni, Dark Samus, Ghirahim, Vaati, Skull Kid, Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, Fawful, Claus/ Masked Man, Porky, and many other enemies that should be in before they put in generic enemies.

Wolf, meta knight, Samurai Goroh, and Wario are RIVALS not enemies.
The characters in red deserve to be in after a generic character or is a rival not an enemy.
Plus, Darkrai an enemy? Did you even see the Darkrai movie, and if you did, do you have NO UNDERSTANDING WHATSOEVER pf what happened to it? Darkrai turned out to be the protagonist as well, with Dialga and Palkia the antagonists. Not to mention, since when has he deserved to be in smash?

Also, King dedede is the same as Darkrai (from what I know, never played a kirby game etc.) and I don't want to type it up. Figure it out that Dialga and Palkia aren't kirby characters and it should make sense! :D
I am unsure on where black shadow stands in relation to enemy or rival, but I think he's probably more so a rival than an enemy. (Is that right?)
Of those listed, these are the legible ones.
Ridley, King K Rool, Bowser Jr, Mewtwo, Dark Samus, Ghirahim, Vaati, Skull Kid, Claus/ Masked Man, Porky,
10 enemies before generic enemies. and that should go down to round about 4 or 5 by the time smash 4 comes out, since I think that: Ridley, K rool, Bowser Jr, one of the zelda enemies and claus will get in. (And quite possibly Mewtwo, but I'm not confident enough on him.)

jigglover

Smash Lord
SmasherMaster, sorry if that sounded hostile, but I get annoyed when somebody doesn't know the difference between a rival and villain. Definitely more so when you don't know the difference between an antagonist and a protagonist...

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Black Shadow isn't so much a rival as a villain but otherwise I can agree with that.
Black Shadow's role as the main villain was changed in F-Zero GX, he's not the main antagonist. He was just a minion of Deathborn, the new antagonist.

Despite this, the majority still recognizes Black Shadow as the main villain of F-Zero. And he'd be a much better choice for a villain newcomer.

D

Deleted member

@Jigglover: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness had a VERY antagonistc Darkrai until it lost its memory after being attacked by Palkia.
Also, you can't use the anime Darkrai as an example of how Darkrai aren't evil. That was only one Darkrai.
Within the games, they are either portrayed as malicious nightmare inducing beasts, or creatures that use nightmares simply as a defense mechanism.

EDIT: Also, generic enemies should not be included. EVER.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
@TheFirstPoppyBro
I disagree. Like Goldenentei, I think that generic enemies shouldn't be playable characters in Smash. Ice Climbers have never been minor characters, they represent a classic Nintendo game. Shy Guy, on the other hand, was just a random enemy from a game Nintendo didn't even develop initially.

In Shy Guy's favor, I'd like to point out his availability in recent games, like Mario Power Tennis. Heck, they even had a Fly Guy in Mario Power Tennis!

jigglover

Smash Lord
@Jigglover: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness had a VERY antagonistc Darkrai until it lost its memory after being attacked by Palkia.
Also, you can't use the anime Darkrai as an example of how Darkrai aren't evil. That was only one Darkrai.
Within the games, they are either portrayed as malicious nightmare inducing beasts, or creatures that use nightmares simply as a defense mechanism.

EDIT: Also, generic enemies should not be included. EVER.
My PMDEOF broke after I beat Dialga.
Isn't the whole point of legendaries that there is only one?

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
If that's the point of legendaries, then the anime sure loves contradicting it.

jigglover

Smash Lord
If that's the point of legendaries, then the anime sure loves contradicting it.
Why? There's never been more than one legendary on screen at any given time, and most legendary's have only appeared in their respective movies. Bare in mind that Phione isn't a legendary.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Why? There's never been more than one legendary on screen at any given time, and most legendary's have only appeared in their respective movies. Bare in mind that Phione isn't a legendary.
Didn't Ash battle against a Darkrai at the Pokémon League?

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Let's see then:
In the Celebi movie there are shown to be hundreds of Celebi.
We have both the legendary beasts and also the shiny legendary beasts. Let's just go out on a limb and say that Pokemon can't change from normal to shiny.
There are a couple episodes focusing on a Lugia and its baby.
We have the nice Darkria that appears in the movie, and the mean Darkria that appears in an episode. I doubt that Darkrai would randomly shift personality. Assuming that Tobias didn't catch THIS Darkrai, then we have three.
We have Brandon's Regis, and the ones that appear in the Lucario movie.
I'm sure there are more that I can't think of, but I think this list should suffice.
So...about Shy Guy.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
What do you mean the point? To give the games some plot? To fill the Pokedex? Ask Gamefreak. In the anime they are just very powerful compared to non-legendary Pokemon (and they provide plot). That's the point. You can have more than one and that can still be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom