• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newcomer: Jill from Drill Dozer (NOT Jill Valentine >.<)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord

Name: Jill
First Appearance: Drill Dozer (Screw Breaker) for the GBA, 2005/2006 (Game Freak/Nintendo)

Suggested B Moveset:

B: Drill--Simple 'nuff. The Drill Dozer combines it drills and starts the gears as the large drill in front spins. Holding B keeps the drill running, and the Dozer will always face forwards; so you can walk backwards, and the drill will still be whirring before you. Jumping cancels the attack, but you can angle the drill up or down, depending of what direction you hold as it is "loaded." The drill will stop spinning after a short span, but if you can time it, you can press B at the right moment to kick the drill into Second Gear. It whirrs faster, dealing more damage, and the dozer can walk a little bit faster. This also dies, quicker, but you can time B a third time for Third, and the final, Gear. The drill, unlike the actual GBA game, does die down after a bit, but not before it deals heavy damage. The dozer also shoots out flames as it burns out its fuel, so anybody standing behind the Dozer can get damaged by the fire. The Drill move can ALSO be used to drill into a platform to hold on, but only lasts a split second; if you're fast, you can wall kick off before your drill falls out.

Forward B: Bulldozer--Jill ducks down into her Dozer, which lowers itself onto its wheel, and after half a second, the machine and rider go flying forwards with about the same power and distance as a Falco Phantasm, but a little slower. This knocks opponents diagonally up and forwards, similar to a shoulder charge. The Dozer remains level even in mid-air, and this can be used to cross gaps, or as an alternative third jump.

Up B: Jet Thrust--The Dozer combines its drills once again, and they sprout a propellor blades. The drill is aimed up, and slowly, as B is held, Jill and her Dozer will rise. They will drill into opponents like the Drill attack, with added width thanks to the propellors. They will gain speed as the attack button is held, and will eventually level off and hover for a bit before falling back to earth. The distance traveled overall is roughly the same as Sheik's Up B, but the time in which they travel there is much longer as their speed must grow as they rise, and is not constant. It is possible to kick this into Second Gear, but not third. In Second Gear, they rise a little faster, and shoot out flames from the butt of the Dozer on the exact second they shift gears, causing a split second long burst of fire damage from above.

Down B: Red Dozer Special--Jill and her Dozer's special technique, taught by Jill's own father, Doug. The Dozer leans to the side and spins wildly, with Jill hanging on tight. As it spins, you can control its movement like a top. The drill arms will fly out, and eventually converge into a solitary, larger drill that goes underneath the Dozer, raising it and spinning it even faster. This whole move lasts about the duration of maybe two Sword Spins, give or take, if you just press Down B, but if you hold it, it can last a little longer, and you have more time to move the Dozer. At its peak velocity, Jill will actually fly out of the cockpit and hang on with her body and feet flailing out. She also deals damage, of course, just not as much as the Dozer :p If you let the attack go on too long, the Dozer ends the attack and slumps, while Jill is dizzy for a second, and unable to act.

Taunt: The Dozer faces forwards, "smiles" as it pumps its drills, and releases exhaust. Jill does her "gun finger" pose as she leans forwards in the machine.

Entrance: The ground shakes as rubble and dust flies forth. BOOM! Jill and Drill Dozer burst forth from underground, and pose for battle.

So why Jill? She's the newest heroine in Nintendo's repertoire, hailing from the game Drill Dozer. Drill Dozer was a game developed by the same guys who made Pokemon, Game Freak, and is an incredibly unique platformer to play. It's simple, but challenging. You can use your drill to break apart things, of course, but there's so much more: switches, locks, enemies, pipes, wall kicks, mind games, flying, swimming, crazy bosses, stealth missions, puzzles, treasures, and, of course, dismantling gigantic missiles. It's a crazy fun game, and it deserves some recognition in the world of Smash Bros.

Jill should very well join the pantheon of Smashers. Firstly, she's female, which the game needs more of. Secondly, her use of her Drill Dozer offers all sorts of potential for a unique, and fun, character. A tiny fighter in a heavy body, with power that rivals DK's? The ability to deflect any and everything, and pull off combos just by using one button? C'mon. It may sound broken, but it's not. There will be balance. But it's just plain cool, don't you think? And, might I add, that since she's a brand new character, and the game was released both in the US and Japan, she has a high likelihood of appearing in the game, considering Sakurai's standards. Definitely a breath of fresh air in a soon to be amazing fighting game.

EXTRA:
Here's some links through Spriter's Resource, showing off the fancy spritesheets for Jill and her Dozer from the GBA game itself. Purdy.
http://sprites.fireball20xl.com/UP1/Nintendo_otherNint_drilldozer_drilldozer.png
http://sprites.fireball20xl.com/UP1/Nintendo_otherNint_drilldozer_jill.png

parrothead

Smash Lord
Very well done, FlipTroopa. If she can enter, then Michael Anderson and his ST Falcon can, because they both fight by using their vehicles.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I was wondering when a Jill thread would be put up...

Her inclusion is very likely, seeing that GameFreak is probably going to want to showcase something from it's lineup other than Pokemon...

Great moveset so far FlipTroopa - especially like the Taunt...

EDIT: I'd also like to see some kind of Battle Clash representation, parrothead. It was probably the best series that utilized the Super Scope 6... too bad it never became as popular as the Light Zapper... at any rate, it's yet another neglected series that need a comeback - just imagine this series utilizing the Wii controls...

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Lord_Deathborne said:
I was wondering when a Jill thread would be put up...

Her inclusion is very likely, seeing that GameFreak is probably going to want to showcase something from it's lineup other than Pokemon...

Great moveset so far FlipTroopa - especially like the Taunt...

EDIT: I'd also like to see some kind of Battle Clash representation, parrothead. It was probably the best series that utilized the Super Scope 6... too bad it never became as popular as the Light Zapper... at any rate, it's yet another neglected series that need a comeback - just imagine this series utilizing the Wii controls...
Thanks. Yeah, the fact that Game Freak's SOLE rep is Pokemon is kinda sad. They've worked on a lot more over the years, including the super awesome Genesis game Pulseman :)

And BattleClash using the Wiimote would.. wow. Just rock. Now only if they didn't just release that, but Yoshi's Safari for the Wii too... XD

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Nice thought out moveset, I support Jill for this game, she looks like a uniqe and intresting firghter, which is what Sakurai said is the type he'd like to add, rather than a character who is just popular.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
AT LAST! A CHARACTER SUGGESTION THAT DOESN'T SUCK!!!...
The inclusion of Jill in SSBB is great, because when people hears about Gamefreak, all about people thinks is Pokemon. And maybe they get a reason to launch a Drill Dozer sequel.
BTW, that's a perfect moveset for Jill Fliptroopa, thumbs up.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
Ugliest. Video Game. Character. Ever.
:laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, her eyebrows are funky. But she's just a kid... Do you call a kid ugly? That's just being crude. I mean, yeah, it's funny to laugh at ugly kids, but you don't tell them or their parents they're ugly :p

And I was thinking for her costumes, the Dozer would shift through the various Bits it uses (Normal, Hard, Mega), and then get a cool jet black and chrome color, because everybody likes black and chrome. Don't lie.

Jill could wear the costumes you can unlock in her game. She has a Mario outfit in Drill Dozer, but... eh. I was thinking more the Pokemon Leaf Green Trainer outfit, the Frog outfit, and the Futuristic outfit for her. They could cycle separately from the Dozer's colors, effectively giving her 12 different combinations :lick:

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
FlipTroopa said:
:laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, her eyebrows are funky. But she's just a kid... Do you call a kid ugly? That's just being crude. I mean, yeah, it's funny to laugh at ugly kids, but you don't tell them or their parents they're ugly :p

And I was thinking for her costumes, the Dozer would shift through the various Bits it uses (Normal, Hard, Mega), and then get a cool jet black and chrome color, because everybody likes black and chrome. Don't lie.

Jill could wear the costumes you can unlock in her game. She has a Mario outfit in Drill Dozer, but... eh. I was thinking more the Pokemon Leaf Green Trainer outfit, the Frog outfit, and the Futuristic outfit for her. They could cycle separately from the Dozer's colors, effectively giving her 12 different combinations :lick:
Poor Jill... But I'm sure that if she makes it into the game, the developers will more than likely give her a bit of a redesign - and a facelift... :laugh:

BTW do you have any links for Jill's alternate costumes, FilpTroopa?

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
Ugliest. Video Game. Character. Ever.
You leave my mother out of this.

Eh...I'm starting to think you people are beginning to dive too deep into Nintendo's mine of characters. I mean, sure, I'd like an obscure character or two, but not ALL of the obscure characters.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
She looks so weird and her eyebrows are a little iffy, her game makes no sense whatsoever and she is pretty obscure she'd fit perfectly :laugh: I like this a lot Jill for SSBB

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
Jill is not that obscure. The game is pretty recent and it made it to the American country, so I think people know her more than Japan characters like Demiru and Takamaru. I really hope Gamefreak is thinking of a DS sequel.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
Ah... well this seems like another likely candidate. Give her a supermove and we have a winner.

...so I confused her with Jill Valentine. I don't get outta my Internet comfort zone much. Yeesh. :p

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Shadow Calibur said:
Ah... well this seems like another likely candidate. Give her a supermove and we have a winner.

...so I confused her with Jill Valentine. I don't get outta my Internet comfort zone much. Yeesh. :p
:chuckle: Yeah, just had to clarify for some people out there

Anyways, she's not that obscure. Her game came out over here in the west, and it's very recent.

As for the costumes... I'll have to dig. I'll post them later.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
I am not saying she is obscure. I am saying she is ugly as ****. I think they should redesign her.
Exactly my reason why I was doubting on buying the game.

Also, it seems that GameFreaks lost its sense of beautiful girls, because the other female person in the game is also fugly.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
GaryCXJk said:
Exactly my reason why I was doubting on buying the game.

Also, it seems that GameFreaks lost its sense of beautiful girls, because the other female person in the game is also fugly.
The detective? Eh. I'm not one to ogle characters, I'll admit, but she's alright. It goes with the weird design of the game; they're not going to always look proportionate and "attractive" by most standards if they're pixelated characters with giant heads and small bodies. Christ, Peach shouldn't look attractive at all judging by the artstyle of most Mario games, but people still go on and on about her a** :laugh:

Speaking of which, why did they make Samus young again? That still bugs me to this day. I mean, she was always "young," but not super-rockin-bod young. They definitely took her character design in the opposite direction with Zero Mission.

Rash

Smash Ace
I'd actually prefer Jill Valentine over the other Jill.

Sorry; it's just that, after the addition of Solid Snake, I actually want more realistic looking characters in Brawl (like ones from the RE: Rebirth).

Hell, while they're at it, throw in Chris, Barry, Wesker, Rebecca, Billy, the Tyrant, Leon, Claire, etc. :pimp:

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Drill Dozer is one of Nintendo's best new franchises, so *bump* for this topic.
w00t.

My belief in her entering has dwindled, just because the poll has ended and she was only mentioned once. But also the sheer support some other juggernauts has overshadows the little queenie. Despite her freshness and uniqueness as a fighter (a tiny heavyweight? C'mon!), I have my doubts lately.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I fully support this character for AWESOME.

However, I am currently stuck on the weather machine boss.

SupaSmashBrotha

Smash Ace
Now this is ridiculous. People just assume that b/c there are going to be 40 or more chars that Nintendo is just going to add every character they can think of.

icymatt

Smash Lord
If they're cool or unique, they should be in.

Jill is cool and unique, and should be in.

It's up to the development team, and they seem partial to things that are way different.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Now this is ridiculous. People just assume that b/c there are going to be 40 or more chars that Nintendo is just going to add every character they can think of.
I won't repeat prior reasoning, but you clearly aren't seeing this with an open-enough mind. I take it you think suggestions like Little Mac and Stafy are bad ideas too, huh?

SupaSmashBrotha

Smash Ace
First of all, I don't care if they add Little Mac; but what I definately don't want is Stafy b/c he just doesn't seem like that interesting of a char. I mean he's an f-ing star for cryin' out loud. And second of all, Jill's just too new and not that popular. I would understand if she was like Ike, where a lot of ppl know him, but she's not.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
First of all, I don't care if they add Little Mac; but what I definately don't want is Stafy b/c he just doesn't seem like that interesting of a char. I mean he's an f-ing star for cryin' out loud. And second of all, Jill's just too new and not that popular. I would understand if she was like Ike, where a lot of ppl know him, but she's not.
He's a star, but obviously you haven't played his games.

If the game was full of popular characters only, we would have all these crap characters like Waluigi and Petey Piranha. Drill Dozer has been declared by many magazines and such as one of the greatest games on the GBA.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Have you played any of Stafy's games? If not, you can stop cuz you know nothing about him.

He's a star, but obviously you haven't played his games.

If the gane was full of popular hcracters only, we would have all these crap characters like Waluigi and Petey Piranha. Drill Dozer has been declared by many magazines and such as one of the greatest games on the GBA.
If the game was full of popular characters, you wouldn't see Waluigi or Petey Piranha.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Have you played any of Stafy's games? If not, you can stop cuz you know nothing about him.

If the game was full of popular characters, you wouldn't see Waluigi or Petey Piranha.
Well, he meant is as a generalization. But Waluigi and Petey ARE more recognizable and likely popular than an addition like Takamaru or Mach Rider.

Drill Dozer has been critically acclaimed by practically everybody as a really good GBA game, and it was made by Game Freak, the guys that do Pokemon, so it has an automatic leg-up at Nintendo. I can say from personal experience that if you enjoy any platformer, you will the love the hell out of this game. It's really fun and challenging--no lies.

SupaSmashBrotha

Smash Ace
I'm not saying that Stafy and Jill's games aren't great, b/c they are, it's just that I don't think Stafy would be a particularly complex char; and I don't think Jill has had enough time in the spotlight. Maybe later on she could be an edition like Ness was.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Your basic Nintendo n00b fanboy, both american and japanese would most likely know Petey Piranha and Waluigi over someone like Pit, Mike Jones, or Mach Rider. Sadly, your basic Nintendo n00b fanboy also thinks Petey is a good character T_T

Top Bottom