• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 13 - Most Recent Movesets: The Advertisement Period Begins

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
MYM's kind of in a tight spot as is, if nobody's noticed. We cannot stretch our resources any further than we already have. Furthermore, there's a good portion of our community that does not play and honestly wants nothing to do with PSABR or MvC3. I'd say it's easily the majority in fact.
There's a good portion of our community that does not play and honestly wants nothing to do with Brawl. I'd say it's easily the majority in fact.

:phone:

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
There's a good portion of our community that does not play and honestly wants nothing to do with Brawl. I'd say it's easily the majority in fact.

Your copying of my post is so witty.

Who are we honestly going to get more active with this. MT constantly talks about his extreme business in chat, and he's the main advocate of Playstation All Stars. Tirk and Junahu are the main two people who talk to him about it. Junahu seems very fond of Brawl, Tirk was never particularly active anyway. That leaves... nobody else even cares about PSABR. We're not getting Twilt to come back, if that wasn't bloody obvious. MvC3 is supported by a similar crowd, plus maybe Silver who is about as busy as MT.

Meanwhile, most people who are still active in MYM(IE you, me, Smady, Warlord, Froy, Kupa, WoMF, Kat) are all probably in preference of Brawl, though I can't be certain in your case. I would presume by the fact that you never ever bring up either PSABR or MvC3 in chat that you aren't a big advocate of either. There are plenty of others who don't seem too big on either of those games either who aren't as active, I've never seen Agi or Khold bring them up. I don't think moving to either of those as a new platform would generate much in the way of additional excitement.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
I for one share absolutely no interest in moving to another battle-system. If this talk has been generated by MYM's current lack of activity, I wouldn't stress out given it's been saved for upcoming Halloween activity. One only needs to wait a couple of days.

Agi

Smash Lord
Your copying of my post is so witty.
I dunno, I think it's a valid point. Brawl as a game is disparaged so much by the MYM community it'd be shocking to an onlooker that we even bothered with it at all.

Who are we honestly going to get more active with this. MT constantly talks about his extreme business in chat, and he's the main advocate of Playstation All Stars. Tirk and Junahu are the main two people who talk to him about it. Junahu seems very fond of Brawl, Tirk was never particularly active anyway. That leaves... nobody else even cares about PSABR. We're not getting Twilt to come back, if that wasn't bloody obvious. MvC3 is supported by a similar crowd, plus maybe Silver who is about as busy as MT.
Energizing veterans is really a side effect of the main intent. We can't really be all too sure how the people you listed will react to creating PSABR sets - actually, considering from what I've seen PSABR sets would be EASIER to make than Brawl sets (going by pure input count, at least, 3 sets of four directional inputs, throws, and three "Supers") they may find it less time-intensive.

Also, just going to throw my hat in the ring that the MYM mentality would not translate to MvC3 or any traditional fighter. At all.

Meanwhile, most people who are still active in MYM(IE you, me, Smady, Warlord, Froy, Kupa, WoMF, Kat) are all probably in preference of Brawl, though I can't be certain in your case. I would presume by the fact that you never ever bring up either PSABR or MvC3 in chat that you aren't a big advocate of either. There are plenty of others who don't seem too big on either of those games either who aren't as active, I've never seen Agi or Khold bring them up. I don't think moving to either of those as a new platform would generate much in the way of additional excitement.
Honestly, I probably will want to stay primarily in Brawl myself. I wouldn't mind making, oh... 3-4 sets in the engine, but I have a certain feeling that the inevitability of ending every single KO via a super would make it a bit less rewarding after that.

I for one share absolutely no interest in moving to another battle-system. If this talk has been generated by MYM's current lack of activity, I wouldn't stress out given it's been saved for upcoming Halloween activity. One only needs to wait a couple of days.
This, too. Though again, lack of veteran activity is only part of the problem.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
I dunno, I think it's a valid point. Brawl as a game is disparaged so much by the MYM community it'd be shocking to an onlooker that we even bothered with it at all.
I was more making a remark about the fact that he was copying me in such a passive agressive manner than his point. Aside from that, we do play Brawl from time to time, our sets aren't similar to the ones in game but I doubt they'd be if we moved to another engine either. I am more saying that MYM would rather work with farmiliar source material than another fighting game, and one that gets some... rather disgusted reactions from other members.

Energizing veterans is really a side effect of the main intent. We can't really be all too sure how the people you listed will react to creating PSABR sets - actually, considering from what I've seen PSABR sets would be EASIER to make than Brawl sets (going by pure input count, at least, 3 sets of four directional inputs, throws, and three "Supers") they may find it less time-intensive.
I have my doubts this is going to draw in particularly many newbies. PSABR is a worse engine than Brawl with it's lack of blast zones and instead KOing through Supers. It has popularity now, but I have my doubts it's necessarily going to last, and it's not a great engine to express creativity in. I suppose we could get newcomer sets by the truckload, but it's so rare those translate into anything more we might end up going "all we get is Koopakirby" all over again. And really, KK was just a minor member who made one super low placing set and died.

Also, just going to throw my hat in the ring that the MYM mentality would not translate to MvC3 or any traditional fighter. At all.
I concur. At the very least we can agree on this.

Honestly, I probably will want to stay primarily in Brawl myself. I wouldn't mind making, oh... 3-4 sets in the engine, but I have a certain feeling that the inevitability of ending every single KO via a super would make it a bit less rewarding after that.
I suspect this is why PSABR is not going to end up particularly popular as an engine, as I mentioned above.

D

Deleted member

Something I posted over in my Lyn Support thread.

Thoughts/Critique?

Straight from Fire Emblem 7, being the FIRST character Western Fire Emblem Fans got to control, we all grew attached to the fair Lyndis. Wielding a Japanese-style Katana, and using a quick Battoujutsu style of sword-play, she already sets herself apart quite aplenty from the other sword users in Smash.

So first things first, her importance over other FE Lords. Well, in her favor are the fact that, as I mentioned before, she's the first Lord, and character Western players got to control when playing the first Fire Emblem game released in the West, not to mention, one of the Key characters in FE7, and also, theorized to be Roy's mother in FE8. As a female Lord, she helps balance out the gender gap found in Smash, bringing forth another strong and sexy female to the roster. She is therefore more iconic and recognizable than other Fire Emblem Females such as Michaia, and Anna. Loved by many fans of the series, she still remains one of the most popular Lords in both the East and West alike, fans clamoring to see her grace the Roster of Smash Bros. even earned her a spot as an Assist Character in Brawl.

Being a Battoujutsu user((http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batt%C5%8Djutsu)), the possibilites are endless with this character. She would be a counter focused character (note that by counter I do not mean counter as in SPAM her v+B, but rather some of her moves are so fast they are faster than her opponent's (we'll have to be careful with this though in order to avoid another Meta Knight)), with quick short range moves, and very high mobility, back in Fire Emblem, she had INSANE Speed, usually hitting enemies 2x every time (4x with a Brave Sword).

Which brings me to my next Point, Combos. Lyn would be a great Combo Character she would be the Slash to Marth’s Pierce, but with less range and better speed, a heavier focus on being able to counter, and a Special focused on preset combo moves.

Lastly, to add a bit more to the mix, I wouldn't give her ONLY sword moves, but I feel simple Kicks would work with her as well.

So, onto her movepool:

First off, look at these .gif to get a clear idea of what she fights like (and what some of her moves and Final Smash will look like).

Ok, second, some of the moves I used for her were inspired by some of Kenshin's more realistic moves in the Manga "Ruroni Kenshin," considering the protagonist of said series uses the same style as Lyn, it's a good reference point. Also, before someone screams COPYRIGHT, note that most of Kenshin's moves in his series are ACTUAL Battoujutsu moves, and some can actually be seen used by Lyn in Fire Emblem as it is.

Anyway, here's some links to all of Kenshin's moves and their names/descriptions:
http://ruroken.8m.com/hitenmrhtm.htm
http://ruroken.8m.com/hitenmrhtm.htm

The Moves:

Specials

B = Launcher, a sort of combo opener where she launches the opponent in the air with her sword. This can then be followed up once more by pressing B again, and finally a third time with a 3rd press of B. Of course the player can choose to forego the preset combos and follow through with his own combo of choice is he chooses. If I were to describe this move I'd say it's like Marth's Dolphins Slash, but without the rise.

><+B = The best description would be something similar to Kenshin's Amakakeru Ryu No Hirameki http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwlpnxUZsdA . Essentially a dash move, similar to Fox's Illusion, but with less Range, and foes caught in the path are "slashed" upwards. Lyn enters a stance similar to Kenshin's and then does her trademark Vanishing animation, reappearing at her destination. Yes, she loses her 3rd jump when using this.

^+B = A jump flip like the one you see in the .gif. She flips and then slashes towards her feet (up) while upside down, the attack starts at the peak of the arc.

v+B = Counter, the fastest counter, but with the penalty delay if you **** up as usual. If successful, she vanishes and re-appears behind her opponent in a "Bleach-like behind you fashion" and slashes her opponents across the torso, sending them flying in the opposite direction Marth sends them. Also, this is a good time to mention that I feel Ike's counter should be replaced with something better suited for him.

Normal Attacks

A = Lyn hits with the hilt of her sword. After landing this hit you can press A again and she will perform a Knee Strike to the Solar Plexus. Finaly, press A 3rd time and she performs a downward vertical slash.

><+A = Lyn does a rounhouse kick with her back leg towards her opponent's head and continues the spin leaving her back exposed. You can then press A again to do a reverse horizontal slash with her sword similar to Kenshin's Ryu Kan Sen (not exactly like it, it would be similar to TKD's reverse side kick (or back kick) for those who know MA, but with a sword, however that's the best example I can think of).

^+A = This is similar to Kenshin's Ryu Shou Sen: A rising attack where she places her hand on the bottom of the blade and holds it horizontally above her head, then rises straight up, aimed at the opponent's neck.

v+A = Lyn does a push-kick while crouched, aimed at the opponents feet.

Dash+A = Lyn vanishes, does a slight jump, and does 3 quick stabs aimed at her opponent's neck. You can see this move in the .gif.

Smash

Note that while charging a Smash Attack Lyn takes the same exact Battoujutsu style stance for all 3 of her Smash Attacks, this makes her unpredictable and is a core feature of her character, given that BJTSU is built on the premise of speed and unpredictability.

><+Smash = She does a forward horizontal slash similar to Kenshin's Sou Ryu Ken. In a typical Samurai fashion, the damage has a slight (wind-like) delay effect. At the end of this attack, if timed properly (now this is tricky), you can press A again to do two more successive rapid "heavy" slashes. Pretty much video related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFIVxm6eKBA. The follow up can only be done on the charged version.

^+Smash = If uncharged, she does an upward slash in an arching motion. If fully charged she does 3 very rapid upward slashes, with the 3rd one being the "heavy" knock-back one.

v+Smash = If uncharged, she simply spins in place while crouched and does a full crescent horizontal slash that covers both sides. Fully charged it's more similar to Zoro's Tatsumaki from One Piece, minus the ridiculous lasting tornado. This is the best visual representation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHHl0sC78jI

Aerial Moves

Nair = Lyn does a front flip while swinging her sword vertivally above her head. It does a full circle.

Uair = She does a horizontal spin (she turns her body horizontally while doing a 540* rotation), and does an (upward) slash by extending her arm.

Fair = A forward horizontal slash similar to Marth's Fair, but with an upward curve rather than downward. Lyn's has higher knockback when hitting from up close.

Bair = A Mule Kick similar to Sheik's, but with slightly more punch if she hits from up close.

Dair = Essentially Kenshin's Ryu Tsui Sen, she faces the ground and dives towards it while pointing her blade downward, with a slight angle. You can see it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK5-jY0jGhk at 2:45, except Kenshin does more of a slash. My idea is more like, the dive itself if the slash. The stance is the similar though. You can also see Lyn do this same exact stance in her critical hit .gif. What's unique about this move is that the animation allows for it to be used in conjuntion with her U+A, you can do her U+A right after this move. The slash of this sends her opponents upward allowing you to combo with U+A. And then follow up with other aerial or her U+B.

Throws

Down = She slams her opponent on the ground, mounts them in missionary possition, and stabs downward with her sword at her opponent's neck.

Up = Puts her blade at her opponent's throat and jumps up in an arch while landing behind them.

Forward = Since we're going with the Japanese MA theme, why not give her a couple Judo moves. Essentially Ryu's Forward Throw from Street Fighter, and over the shoulder Slam Throw (I forget the name of this move, back in TDK, we simply called it the Judo Throw).

Back = Another Judo move, this one would pretty much be Ryu's Back throw from Street Fighter. She grabs her opponent by the lappelles and rolls backward using her feet and momentum to "throw" her opponent behind her.

The idea behind her throws is that they don't have too much knock back, but rather place the opponent at just the right distance to follow up with a combo, similar to C.Falcon's throws in that respect.

Taunts

1. She draws her swrod and does a Back Stance with her sword poised above her head, tip pointing forward, her hair flutters behind her, and the silhouette of a Green Chinese-style dragon appears coiled around her, with the tail at her hair, and the claws/fangs at the tip of the blade. I'll try to draw a picture and upload it.

2. Draws her sword, inspects it closely, and slashed toward her side as if to "clean the blood" a small gust appears at the ground, she twirls the sword and re-sheaths it.

3. Draws her sword places it horizontally above her brow as if glaring at her opponent, says some bull**** about honor in Japanese and re-sheaths it

FINAL SMASH

Her critical hit in her .gif. After grabbing the Smash Orb, you must strike your opponent (like Ike's), and the opponent is then "paralyzed", she then does and upward slash with a back flip, and vanishes into thin air, only to reappear at all sides above her opponent in 5 copies and bring a maelstrom of pain down on them. The opponent is then thrown flying of the stage for a K.O.

One more thing, being a Battoujutsu user, she always has her sword sheathed when running, jumping, crouching, etc... The only times she draws it are when she attacks. That is the premise behind BTJTSU. Her "ready stance" would look something like this:

Also, her focus is on quick speed and fast combos, meaning her jumps barring her U+B are a bit shallow compared to Marth (I would say similar to C.Falcon, but with Fox's falling speed), however her attack speed and running speed are much greater. She does more damage at closer ranges, given that her focus is all about running up and getting real close to do combos. However, her range would be greater than Meta Knight's as she's not about SPAM/Trapping combos, but rather more about fluid and fast, Guilty Gear style combos. I feel her running speed would be very similar to Fox's. Making her one of the faster characters in the game.

Anyway, enough on Lyn. I know I’m not the only one that wants her in, she’s got a strong following, She’s unique, iconic, and with plenty of potential. I would honestly take her over ANY other FE, and even 1st party character to be honest. And besides, I’m sure I’m not the only one who would want more Sexy Females in Smash (C’mon, admit it, you waifued her back in Middle School when you first picked up FE7).

Anyway, gallery:

Tell me your thoughts.

Smady

Smash Master
Hey ManlySpirit, you've brought me out of my writing cave to comment on your set. Lets see if it's as impeccable as your taste in manga.

Lyn's set is more about advertising the character's potential rather than constructing a creative set - you have referential videos, and even bring in a new character for comparison. While this is good for the reader understanding what the animations are, it is a little confusing and doesn't back up the idea that Lyn is a good candidate for an original set, relying on outside material, which isn't the intended design message. There's no consistency with Marth or Ike's sets, largely sword slashes and a rare element of close-range melee. Lyn has a few odd moves like promiscuously mounting the foe and stabbing them in the neck in the down throw - side note, usually we say what the grab and pummel are, even when generic. Though this is only touching on the big problem with Lyn that is indicative of your inexperience; she doesn't form much of a coherent playstyle. Marth's for example is spacing himself so that he can hit the foe with the tip of his sword, while Lyn really doesn't have any central theme. It's boring to me as someone who has made sets for a long time, but even imagining it in Brawl, it wouldn't be that fun. Specifically, the specials are mostly just slightly altered versions of other Brawl specials, and a launcher when Lyn does nothing notable in the air. Don't be dissuaded, though, your enthusiastic approach here shows some promise. I'd recommend reading other Fire Emblem sets like Hector and Sothe as a starting point if you're interested.

D

Deleted member

Hey ManlySpirit, you've brought me out of my writing cave to comment on your set. Lets see if it's as impeccable as your taste in manga.

Lyn's set is more about advertising the character's potential rather than constructing a creative set - you have referential videos, and even bring in a new character for comparison. While this is good for the reader understanding what the animations are, it is a little confusing and doesn't back up the idea that Lyn is a good candidate for an original set, relying on outside material, which isn't the intended design message. There's no consistency with Marth or Ike's sets, largely sword slashes and a rare element of close-range melee. Lyn has a few odd moves like promiscuously mounting the foe and stabbing them in the neck in the down throw - side note, usually we say what the grab and pummel are, even when generic. Though this is only touching on the big problem with Lyn that is indicative of your inexperience; she doesn't form much of a coherent playstyle. Marth's for example is spacing himself so that he can hit the foe with the tip of his sword, while Lyn really doesn't have any central theme. It's boring to me as someone who has made sets for a long time, but even imagining it in Brawl, it wouldn't be that fun. Specifically, the specials are mostly just slightly altered versions of other Brawl specials, and a launcher when Lyn does nothing notable in the air. Don't be dissuaded, though, your enthusiastic approach here shows some promise. I'd recommend reading other Fire Emblem sets like Hector and Sothe as a starting point if you're interested.

Very constructive post indeed. I'll look into it, I didn't cover too much of how she would play like exactly mostly because it was intended to, as you mentioned, advertise her character as a potential newcomer for SSB4, rather than build her up into a PSA or something.

But the general premise behind her is the fluidity of her moves, using the Guilty Gear Series as a reference point. I actually drew some ideas from Sol Badguy's playstyle of "choking" your opponent with a barrage of moves, minus the "jack-of-all trades" aspect of Sol. Being able to build combos out of many different situations. For example, out of the moves I mentioned, an idea would be to begin with the DThrow for example, follow up with a couple DTilts, her Neutral A combo, a Dash+A, and the B Launcher for aerials or her ><+Smash. I mentioned briefly how her Dair can be followed by her U+tilt and allow for more combos. That's what I vidualize her as, personally.

Nonetheless, I'll take your advice to heart and look at the builds you mentioned, as even she doesn't make the cut, I could get to working on making a PSA for her. And yes, this was indeed my first ever MYM build.

Also, I also plan on making a MYM for KOS-MOS and Alisa, as I can see myself making PSA's in the future for them (when I have the time), and of course, I'd like for them to be rather balanced characters.

Smady

Smash Master
Great to hear about plans for future sets!

The best thing you can do to improve your movesets is definitely reading other people's work. That goes no less for this thread, where there are already over fifty. They're all listed here for your convenience.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
So Khold, how exactly do the Pokemon in your wacky trainer moveset jump when there are other pokemon on those buttons? Don't tell me that I'd have to use TAP JUMP :mad:

JOE!

Smash Hero
I don't tap jump, even in p:m. Limiting the control scheme = fail. Literally being able to button mash infinite hitboxes=full ******.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
If you want to not use tap jump with PTK's pokemon, simply either change L or R from a shield to jump. There, done.

And up tilts aren't even that great. Tap jump is infinitely faster.

EDIT: H_R, I actually explained this in the moveset:

Katapultar

Smash Lord
[collapse="Lynn"]I haven't visited the Character Discussion boards that often, though given they way they work there this set has a significantly different taste to it than those normally posted here. The justification and references presented at the start of the set actually make for a better experience, too, and the idea of making reference to Rurouni Kenshin sticks well with me given I'm a bit of a fan of that series - I didn't even know a list of Kenshin's techniques existed on the internet, and it's convenient enough that I might want to make a set for him!

The only thing I feel here is how you're drawing a bit too much comparison to the likes of other stuff of which makes Lynn lose a lot of potential uniqueness, something Smash Daddy pointed out before me. It's an easy mistake to make given we only have what we've seen to go by, and while others will understand you they won't delve much attention into it. I think the main problem is how you end up trying too hard to make the set as realistic as possible to the point where there's no room for open-ended creativity on your behalf, which is your job as a designer to express what you want to the readers. For that reason, as entertaining as the references are in the beginning, they end up backfiring on you when relied on too heavily because they've already beat you to the punch in making the set itself. Aside from that, your way of doing everything else is fine and dandy, and from what I gather of previous discussion you'll be coming back for more.[/collapse]

JOE!

Smash Hero
And up tilts aren't even that great. Tap jump is infinitely faster.
1) Link, DK, Squirtle, Marth, Snake, DDD, Bowser, Weegee, Toon Link, Falcon, Shiek, Zelda, Fox, Falco, Yoshi, ROB, and Pikachu all disagree with the Utilt thing.

2) There is no real difference in speed between Tap and Button jump, as each character relies on their jump squat animation to determine their jump speed.

3) Yo set can have assists from multiple sources happen pretty much whenever. Das broke.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
SHANG TSUNG

A powerful, deadly sorcerer and a primary villain in the Mortal Kombat franchise, Shang Tsung is a shapeshifter who needs to consume souls in order to sustain his health and life. In the Mortal Kombat series, he is the epitome of cunning and decadence, as symbolized by his preference for lavish parties, grand palaces, and stylish clothing. Unlike the crude Shao Kahn, this bombast is a facade, disguising Tsung's true intellectual and mental sophistication. His nemesis is Liu Kang, but throughout his unnatural lifespan, he has earned the hatred of many others, including Kung Lao and Kenshi.

Shang Tsung's allegiance to Shao Kahn granted him the status of a free roaming sorcerer. As such, he is able to move between realms without detection by the Elder Gods or local deities, an ability which has granted him many opportunities to commit atrocities over the centuries. Only Delia, Shinnok, Shao Kahn, and Quan Chi can match Shang Tsung's skills as a sorcerer.

Stats
Size - 8
Weight - 8
Speed - 4
Jump - 4
Fall Speed -7
Air Speed - 3

Special Attacks

Up Special O Body Switch
Upon using the Up Special, Shang preforms a gesture with his hand, erupting in a flash of fire. At the same time, the nearest opponent also has a fiery flash surround them, A moment later, both flashes disappear, revealing a shocking development: Shang and the opponent have switched positions! If Shang was in the air when he used this move, and the opponent was on the ground, the opponent has access to all of their jumps plus their recovery, though if said opponent HAS no jumps/traditional recovery, (ala Appetizer) they will instead be transported to the edge of the stage. If the opponent was in the air, then they are granted whatever jumps or recovery they had left, while Shang is put into helpless. This DOES work on opponents who are in freefall, though not on dodging/shielding opponents. Opponents in the middle of attacks will finish the attack once transported, unless put into the air.

As a side note, this move can be double-tapped. Upon double-tapping, the beginning of the move will play out as normal, with the fiery aura surrounding both fighters. Once the aura disappears, it is revealed that Shang and the opponent have not switched positions after all! Using this technique, Shang can set up and pull of many different mind tricks on the opponent.

Down Special O Hot Escape
A fiery circle forms at Shang's feet, as he slips down below the surface, obviously meaning that this move can only be used on the ground. Once he sinks, he is quickly teleported to a position directly behind the nearest grounded opponent, or if the nearest opponent is in the air, directly underneath them, provided they are over a section of the stage (if not, he teleports to the edge). Regardless of the distance between Shang and the opponent, it will always take exactly one second for Shang to reappear. During this one second, the player can input any attack, which Shang will preform immediately after exiting his portal, regardless of the starting lag (smashes will by default always be their weakest charge). Besides this this move has very little lag on either end, though opponents DO have a full second to predict where Shang will reappear.

Forward Special O Teleport
Quite identically to his Up Special, Shang becomes engulfed in a fiery aura. This time, however, he teleports forward 2 SBBs, the aura exploding upon ending, reaching 1 Bob-omb blast in all directions and dealing 10% damage. The move has fairly long ending lag, however, making it less useful than it should be against fast-reacting opponents. Also much like the Up Special, if the move is double-tapped, Shang will NOT teleport, instead using this as a way to perhaps disguise the starting lag of some other move.

Neutral Special O Body Morph
Shang throws is head back and laughs, his arms extended. Immediately, his body bubbles into that of his nearest opponent. While copying the looks, he also copies all of their stats, minus weight, which remains the same. He has full access to his own moveset AND that of his opponent, available by holding the shield button down, meaning Shang has no shield while copying opponents. Also, any move he preforms only deals 1% damage and the move's base knockback, usually giving it away. The morph is not reversible by simply pressing the neutral special again: Shang will have to wait a full 10 seconds before he morphs back to normal, or until he is dealt 10% damage. Shang is then unable to use the attack for 25 seconds, needing to recharge due to the stress and high energy required to use it. However, this doesn't mean his neutral special is useless: in fact, he gains an entirely new one for the duration of the morph...

Neutral Special O Mimic
Upon input, Shang laglessly mimics what the opponent is doing (meaning, the animation) at that very moment. The mimic, regardless of where it was input, will always last 3 seconds. During this three seconds, Shang is able to use any move in either of his arsenals, which are preformed without fear of lag, though it will cancel out the animation, unless it's a move like your Up Special which can be done during ANY animation. Shang obviously loses this attack when he morphs back to normal.

Standard Attacks

Jab O Hellfire
Shang flows his arms as though conducting music, making a small eruption of fire burst from the ground 1/2 SBBs in front of him. The fire is small, dealing 3% damage and just a bit of knockback to the foe, sending them the direction it hit them from (directly below will send opponents upward, foes hit between the fire and Shang will be sent towards Shang, and so on). The more this Jab is pressed, the further the fire erupts from, traveling forward 1 SBB each time, until the 4th time, when it will start traveling back to Shang. This is great for both sending opponents away AND sucking them in, though it stales after the 3rd hit to 1% and flinching.

Forward Tilt O Fiery Punch
Shang's fist erupts in fire as he swipes forward, dealing 5% damage and decent forward knockback. This has very little lag on either end and is great for leading into kombos, especially in tandem with the Jab. Also relevant is it's effect on projectiles: it's a cape-esque move, which turns incoming projectiles around and sends them back to whence they came. This obviously isn't as good as Mario's actual cape, though: the range of this move is absolutely pathetic in comparison.

Upward Tilt O Fiery Uppercut
Shang's fist once again bursts into flame as he delivers an uppercut in true classic Mortal Kombat fashion, with the infamous "TOASTY!" sound-byte playing when it connects. The uppercut deals a fairly decent amount of upwards knockback, on top of the also fairly decent 7% damage it deals. This has better range than your forward tilt, though it doesn't come out as quickly due to Shang ducking right before he delivers the punch. This is a great GTFO move in close kombat situations, as well as a great way to just launch foes into the air.

Dash Attack O Mysterious Magic
Shang slides forward, glowing with a new (to you) aura, green. He slides for 1 SBB or until he reaches the opponent, at which point he'll disappear. After .25 seconds, he appears either .5 SBBs ahead or directly behind the opponent he almost hit, delivering a kick that deals 5% damage by default, though any tilt can be pressed in the shot time between his disappearence and reappearence to use that move instead.

Down Tilt O Hammer
Shang brings his hands above his head, holding them together and jutting fire. With a grunt, he slams them downward, dealing any opponent caught by them 5% damage and bouncing them off of the ground. This puts opponents into the air, even if only for a bit, allowing for launching attacks and combos.

Smash Attacks

Forward Smash O Flaming Skulls
With a strong battle cry, Shang Tsung launches forward a fiery projectile, in the shape of a skull. The skull travels at the speed of Falco's laser, and has infinite range, able to reach one end of the screen from the opposite end. The skull DOES explode on contact, dealing 13% damage and great knockback. Charging the attack simply has Shang throw more fiery skulls at the opponent, up to 3 at full charge, launching at about the rate of Wolf's laser.

Up Smash O Flaming Skull Storm
Shang throws his hands in the air, palms upwards, launching a skull straight up into the air. The skull has the exact same properties as those that were in the forward smash, dealing the same damage and launching at the same speed, and again having up to three be the max when charged. However, these skulls do NOT fly straight up forever, actually falling back down after reaching 4 SBUs, keeping the same properties and damage but knocking back in a different direction, before crashing to the ground. The skulls still explode on impact.

Down Smash O Flaming Skull Eruption
Shang Tsung throws his hands to his sides, causing two flaming skulls to burst out of the ground and fly up just above his head. These skulls are about twice as fast as the other skulls Shang launches normally, and deal 15% damage uncharged, and unlike the other smashes, increase in damage to 22% when fully charged.

Aerial Attacks

Neutral Aerial O Straight Kick
Shang kicks his right foot out, extending it as far as it can go, delivering a kick that deals 5% damage and minimal knockback. As with your other aerials, this mostly has it's purpose in comboing: it deals very little knockback, making it a perfect start or middle to any combo you may have to set up for the next attack.

Down Aerial O Fireball
Tsung stalls for a moment, looks and points both palms straight down. He throws a fireball the size of a Party Ball straight down. The fireball travels at the speed of a fastfalling Fox, dealing 8% damage and high downwards knockback. This is yet another move in your arsenal for combos, as well as being a great gimping tool for offstage aerial battles. Luckily, the ending lag on this is large enough to prevent it from being an infinite.

Backward Aerial O Roundhouse
Shang spins in the air, delivering a kick behind him, putting all of his strength into it. The kick deals 8% damage and decent knockback. Follow it up with a Body Switch and another attack and you've got a great combo tool!

Forward Aerial O Forward Fireshot
Shang points one of his palms forward, launching a small fireball forward. The fireball travels straight, at about the rate of one of Mario's fireballs. This deals 3% damage and okay knockback, though unlike many other fireballs won't simply disappear after hitting an opponent, and if you can line it up, you can continue hitting opponents against it for great damage racking.

Up Aerial O Flipkick
A true fighting game veteran, Shang knows when it's time to bust out the move everyone knows and loves. He does a backflip, kicking high as is legs reach the top, then in an added display of fighting prowess, sharply kicks downwards, dealing 6% damage.

Grab Game

Grab O Soul Theft
Shang makes a pulling motion towards himself, causing any opponent within 1 SBB in front of him to be sucked towards him as if by DDDs inhale. From here, he places his hand squarely where their heart should be. This grab, besides the initial pull, is very weak, so very quick input is needed to execute a throw. Shang has no pummel.

Backward Throw O Soul Steal
Shang brings his hands off of his opponent, sucking a green, liquid-like substance from them. This is their soul, and Shang is using it to pay back some of the opponent's damage. After sucking the soul out, he is healed 1/2 of the total damage dealt by the opponent's last 3 attacks, while simultaneously dealing them the same amount of damage. The opponent is then dizzied for a few moments before they're able to move again.

Down Throw O Back Breaker
A "safe" alternative to soul steal, Shang Tsung tears the soul out of the opponent's body, healing himself 7% damage. He then slams the opponent into the ground, jumps up, and crashes into their backs, cracking it. This deals 10% damage and leaves the foe helpless for 1 second, laying on the ground. While this is a bit more conventional of a throw than Soul Steal, both have their advantages and disadvantages, and should be used alternately depending on the situation. This move deals definite damage, and heals definite health, while Soul Steal deals and heals based on what the opponent has done.

Against hard-hitting opponents, Soul Steal is probably the better option, as damage adds quickly. Against weaker opponents, this is probably the way to go, as while it isn't as much of a wild card that can be a huge turning point, it's much safer and consistent. In a less conventional matter, Soul Steal keeps opponents down for a bit longer, giving Shang more time to set up combos and other such things. Essentially, both are two sides to the same coin.

Up Throw O Pits of Hell
Shang's Up Throw is the most offensive of the lot, as rips his hands into the opponent's body and lifts them above his head and holds them high. Afte a moment, he lets out an audible grunt, shooting fire from his hands directly into the opponent's chest, dealing 10% damage and high upwards knockback.

Forward Throw O Your Soul is MINE!
Shang rips his hands into the opponent's body, draining a small portion of their soul (healing himself 4%). He then knees the opponent in the face as hard as he can, an audible *crunch* being heard, dealing opponents 13% damage and high forwards knockback. This is a far more offensive move than your other throws (minus Up) due to how little the heal to damage ratio is, but it's great for knocking opponents out of your face.

Final Smash O Bed of Nails
Shang grabs for the opponent, this time firmly grabbing their rib cage should he be successful. If he is, he levitates the opponent with one hand, the other lifting from his side, summoning the titled Bed of Nails. Once it's been summoned, Shang gives a creepy evil laugh, slamming the opponents down into the spikes. This deals 50% damage, and is an almost guaranteed KO because of the insane amount of Upwards knockback it does. However, it is hindered by poor range. Should the opponent be KOed by this attack, Shang will cock his head up and yell the now famous line: "FATALITY".

Playstyle
Shang is an intelligent fighter, messing with opponent's perception of space and location by doing things such as switching places with them, teleporting, copying their appearence, and using Hot Escape to appear right behind them. With many of his abilities, too, he can fake out of them or use a different attack during the small time frame between teleportation locations. At the same time, he's also a brutal fighter with very good long range options and a healing factor, meaning he doesn't always have to be on the offensive with teleporting and body morphing combos, if he wants he can wait out his opponent, mess with their head and all the while camp them with projectiles.

Speaking of Body Morphing, it's his most effective tool for mind games: using a body morph and teleporting, body switching, of using Hot Escape can confuse the hell out of the opponent, especially since he has the ability to copy their movements at any given time, making for even more confusion for the opponent when trying to figure out what the hell's going on, especially during things like fake outs and body switching.

The Body Switch is one of Shang's most versatile tools, as it can also be used in stringing together combos should he go on the straight offensive, which he is very capable of doing. Just as an example of what you can do with it, he would be able to say, knock an opponent downwards to the ground while he's in the air, Body Switch, jump, and be able to continue on beating the crap out of them, so it's basically a combo extender. It's also great for faking opponents out, making them THINK they're going to be switched and preparing for it, while you simply use it for cover for a different move, say a Morph (which WILL confuse the hell out of them), a Smash, a Teleport, or a Hot Escape.

Speaking of Hot Escape, it's Shang's best move he can use to approach opponents, as there are so many possibilities of what he can do directly after coming out of the ground. Will you launch them, grab them, body switch them, or what? Opponent's always have to guess what you're doing at at any given time, and nine times out of ten they'll be wrong. Dead wrong.

Moving onto Standards and Aerials, they're basic, but they get the job done. Your Jab is a wonderful tool for sucking opponents in to punish or knocking them away to camp. The rest are your basic comboing tools, and Shang can use all of them very effectively. Your Smashes should speak for themselves as your projectiles, keeping you safe should you ever feel the need to take yourself out of the fight for a moment, and your grabs are awesome tools that you can use not only as a healing factor but also for keeping opponents out of your face.

Overall, Shang is a tough character to master. You need patience and timing to pull a match off, and the kill won't come easy due to his lack high-knockback moves outside of Grabs. At the same time, his brutal offensive prowess should be enough to keep opponents on their toes, eventually giving way to the more mind gamey aspects of his playstyle. Brutal offense and smart defense is what will lead you into victory.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
[collapse="Shang Tsung"]Shang has quite the sound premise in combining basic mindgames/switching places with comboing, which I'm perfectly fine with and seems like it'd be interesting to use in Brawl given how incredibly easy it is to comprehend. In being a combo character among the obligation to make moves flashy, I keep thinking that there's going to be a blind spot in the set with stuff like F-air and D-air, but as I keep checking I'm proven wrong. As far as I'm concerned you pulled it off fairly nicely. When Shang's not focusing on teleporting and comboing he then has moves to give him a boss feel with the Smash Attack projectiles and healing, the latter of which he'd kinda need given he doesn't seem all that good at recovering, and not to mention morphing into foes isn't made broken and pulled off nicely for a subtle purpose. This is probably one of your best-executed sets partially in how the standard attacks don't feel too boring in the context of the main playing style and it's very easy to imagine. Perhaps your other recent sets had better concepts to them and had characters you could take advantage of to give off a better mood, but that's no reason to look down on this set and it's a good effort really.[/collapse]

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Shang Tsung

It's about time we got an MK moveset, and this one finds a good balance between creativity and keeping to the simpler attacks seen in the game. His various teleports and opponent copying make a nice little mind-game, and I like the dynamic between his back and down throws. At first I found it odd that his trademark fireball wasn't a special move, but I do like the organizational quirk of having his fireball attacks on the smashes, they fit way too well on those inputs.

His final smash needs to yell "Fataility!" if it scores a KO

Katapultar

Smash Lord
RANKINGS
AKA Show People What You're Voting For and Make A Pretty Art Gallery At The Same Time

Disclaimer: If I place a set high or low that doesn't mean it's good or bad, but rather because of my personal tastes. I can like a set just because it excels in one specific thing even if it's a little lacking in other departments.

★★★★★★★★★★ = Revolutionary and definite.
★★★★★★★★★ = Nigh-Masterful execution.
★★★★★★★★ = Awesome, just missing something.
★★★★★★★ = Great, usually excelling in a certain category.
★★★★★★ = Something about these I like.
★★★★★ = These don't quite appeal to me, but come very close to. Wouldn't take much for me to like them, though it'd probably go against their vision.
★★★★ = These have a bit of a way before they can appeal, either due to underdevelopment or something little I find off.
★★★ = Not necessarily showing the user's true potential, usually a shadow of something greater.
★★ = These sets feel uncomfortable to read. Most of the time, it's because they disrespect the opponent's characterization or are unplayable.
★ = Although none exist, you'd have to go out of your way to create a set somebody would actually -regret- reading. That basically means screwing with your head, giving off sickening imagery and overall dealing massive psychological damage without ever getting anywhere that you could even begin calling a moveset. It also contains lies about the character's source material and spoilers of bad taste.

Also, I tend to get a lot of pictures from Zerochan, so please post more weaboo characters.

Sets Missing
Beastman.EXE
The Scout
The Heavy
The Pyro
Ace Trainer JOE!
GLaDOS
Queen Worm
Trent
Cuty Mary
Cashman
Zo**** The Hellhog
Micheal Reynolds

Koala Kong
★★★★★★★★★★

Willy Wonka

Lizard
★★★★★★★★★

Lord Voldermort
★★★★★★★★

Skull Kid

Larfleeze

Pharaoh Man

Yoshika

Randy Johnson

Nyx Assassin

The Soldier
★★★★★★★

Garble

Jak and Daxter

Gwyndolin

Zak Gramarye

The Thief

King Sombra

The Joker

Rose Lalonde

Sawtooth and Squarewave

Bubbleman.EXE
★★★★★★

Sakuya Izayoi

H.N Elly

Queen Chrysalis

Clumsy Assassin

Uka Uka

The Headless Horseman

Trixie

Cold Enchanter

Stromboli

Dark Meta Knight

Mike Dawson

The Medic

Zigzagoon

Kammy Koopa

The Sniper

Sauron

Grimlock

★★★★★

The Creeper

Witch

Flozar

Ashens

Gatsaf Shepherd

Mr. Dark

Princess Bubblegum

Killerman

Aquaman

Kamella

Magnemite

Shang Tsung

Clayton

Spiral

George Washington

Arsenal Primid
★★★★

The Flim and Flam Brothers

Derpy Hooves

Gigalith

Lynn

Strong Bad

Bigfoot

Drillman.EXE

Soundwave Superior.

Lady Gaga
★★★

Flashman.EXE

Ember
★★

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
@H_R
I'm not sure what you're talking about, I'm thinking you may need to re-read that Final Smash

JOE!

Smash Hero

A simple playstyle section wouldn't be enough for this set, so lets take this post to look "Under the hood" of JOE!, so to speak.

I've talked about my history with the Pokemon series in each set (shown above), but what about my history with Pokemon in MYM? To date, 23/31 of all my sets have been Pokemon sets, making up 10.3% of all MYM pokesets, ever. Why so many? Well, coming into Brawl the one character I was most excited for was the Pokemon Trainer, since you know: 3 sets in one! Unfortunately they didn't quite pan out like I wanted them to in-game, but the idea stuck with me enough to create my first "real" set: Rival Trainer in MYM6.

After breaking the MYM Ice, my love for the series pretty much set itself up to keep appearing as my sets, especially when Pokemon have already available artwork, moves, essentially a whole mass of material to draw from for inspiration. A favorite technique of mine has been trying to incorporating their base stats into their Smash-Stats, with things such as their base speed determining their Ground Speed, based off of Charizard and Pikachu's base 100 equating to about 7/10 in Brawl. Or, taking high attack and either implementing it as a heavy hitter, or simply a very offensive/combo oriented playstyle. I guess I always found it a fun challenge to portray the pokemon as I see them in both personality and moveset/abilities to you guys.

Speaking of abilities, did you know every pokemon in ATJ actually incorperates all abilities they have? Alakazam has Synchronize explained in Reflect, but Magic Guard is also put in via Teleport, meanign direct KO methods must be used against him due to his immunity to Gimping/Edgegaurds/etc. Feraligatr's Sheer Force is shown not only through his Super Smash with Armantle, but with how generally powerful all his moves are, with all but Jab being able to kill reasonably. Breloom's Technician comes out in how all his moves work from a literal technical standpoint, and Poison Heal comes out of Spore + Leech Seed, as poison damage will heal him 1% a second since they are being damaged by him still. Z's Download/Adaptation are combined in his N/Side Special, but Analytic comes from his Trick Room interactions requiring careful planning and reaction based on what's going on at the time. Bisharp's Defiant has been covered enough, but Inner Focus and Pressure both are wrapped into the same clashing and rush-down style, as well as Metal Coat. Armantle seems to be the only one who openly states all his abilities!

To wrap this up, the reason behind the trainer sets as some have asked is to pretty much circle back to Rival Trainer and expand on the "trainer system" in a manner that could actually work and be fun. And to circle back further, here is the inspiration behind ATJ:

• Alakazam: Mewtwo, Eelektross, Reuniclus, Y2X
  • Feraligatr: Feraligatr (Rival Trainer), Velociraptors, Octillery, Salamence, Emboar, Krookodile
  • Breloom: Spiderman, Chikorita, Toxicroak, Simisage, Archeops, Sonic the Remix, Player99
  • Porygon-Z: Mewtwo, Samus Remix, Octillery, Reuniclus, Player99, Y2X
  • Bisharp: Velociraptors, Spartan Warrior, Forretress, Toxicroak, Krookodile, Archeops, Y2X
  • Armantle: Quilava, Spartan Warrior, Forretress, Salamence, EED Soldier, Emboar, Krookodile, Rhyperior
  • Ace Trainer JOE!: Sonic the Remix (JOE! Generations with organization), Trainer JOE!

I'm sure some of you have seen all that, and I'm glad to say I've come full circle from where I've begun, to where I am now. Now, lets get on with the actual strategy parts, shall we?

MECHANICS REVIEW:
Just a re-cap on how everything works, feel free to skip past if you've got it already!

TRAINER SYSTEM 2.0:

At the character select screen you will see a :pokeball: in the bottom left corner of ATJ's portrait. When you click that, you will then be able to select your team from 6 mini-portraits with a number (1-3) indicating their order once selected, with you able to un-select a Pokemon by clicking them again. If you do not click the :pokeball:, your team will be randomized.

Order is very important as although stamina is gone, each Pokemon has their own HP and Stock! So there is a good deal of strategy in who you'll want out first, or who'll bring up the rear as once a Pokemon bites the dust, you can no longer switch to them for the remainder of the match. The only exceptions to the rule are time matches where there is a 15 second penalty before the defeated Pokemon is revived (starting after the next in line is summoned to the re-spawn platform), and in matches where there are more than 3 stocks, in which case it works like in the Story-Mode if there are extra stocks: the first to die gets the extra stock, and so on. Unlike the first Trainer JOE!, if there are less than 3 stocks remaining, you will only have that number of Pokemon, with each of the 6 actually having a Down Special to use when solo this time around!

Speaking of Down Special, here is the big change in Ace Trainer JOE!: Double Battles. Unlike TJ!, who had one Pokemon at a time on the field, ATJ has 2: the 1st Pokemon you chose as your Playable/Team 1 and your 2nd pick, that moves around the field halfway between the backdrop where ATJ is and the Team 1 Pokemon (which allows everybody to walk around without bumping into each other), that is designated as the Support/Team 2, with the 3rd acting as your reserve.

In play, your Team2 Pokemon will walk around by itself as if it were a CPU in training mode set to "Walk" and occasionally jump on a platform if it is over the main floor, and will hop off of moving ones once they begin to move off-stage. In case they hop off and grab an edge remember they are somewhat in the BG, meaning they cannot edge-guard you or your foe. While in Team2 mode, they actually behave a lot like a Pokeball Pokemon would and use their own Team 2 Special if a foe is in range, make sure to capitalize on these moves with your Team1 Pokemon! Like some Pokeball Pokemon your Team2 Pokemon is attack-able, but immune to Knockback Growth, meaning it will only suffer set KB between Mario and Samus' Ftilts when hit. This is good seeing your AI controlled team member isn't that easy to pick off (if they do get flung off the edge, they will behave like a training room CPU and use their jumps+recovery to get back), but at the same time 3/4ths of the damage from the attack is carried over when you swap them over to a playable state, so make sure to cover both sides of your party at once!​

SWITCHING GUIDE:

3+ STOCKS: :stick2:+:bbutton: = Team1 Swap. :stick2:+(:bbutton:+:abutton:) = Team2 Swap.
While the conventional switch remains for Team 1 and the Reserve Pokemon, you can also swap between the Team2 Pokemon and the Reserve by pressing Down+(B+A), which can then allow you to use the conventional method to make the formerly Team2 Pokemon playable and so on.

2 STOCKS: :stick2:+:bbutton: = Swap control between Team1 and Team2.
Losing the conventional switching, when there are only two Pokemon on the field you may quickly swap control between them with Down+B. Abuse being able to take control of two places at once to try and take back the lead!

Note: There is a half-second cool-down for switching Pokemon at this stage.

1 STOCK / STAMINA MODE / SPECIAL: :stick2:+:bbutton: = Team2 Special.
When down to just 1 Pokemon left, you exchange swapping for a proper Down Special, and play the Pokemon as their own character as you try to snag a victory at the last moment!

DUAL COMMANDS:

What are they?
Dual Commands are inputs that can control the Team2 Pokemon's actions while playing as the Team1 Pokemon as JOE! commands the second team with his other hand at the same time as the first. An important aspect of both the next member of the team, as well as gameplay with ATJ in general. There are 5 commands total, and each have their own nuances to keep track of, but mastering these can really give you an edge in teamwork vs the opposition.

Note: Team2 will not perform their Team2 special if within 1 platform of Team1 unless Team1 isn't performing any actions in said range for at least 1/2 a second.

TEAM1 SHIELD :rtrigger:/:ltrigger: = TEAM2 GRAB :zbutton:
Pressing Shield at any distance will have Team2 perform their grab. By default, the Pokemon will then simply perform their pummel over and over with the normal properties unless commanded to do something else during that time. Upon grab-release, the victim has anti-grab armor for 1 second.

If the Team2 Pokemon is airborne, they will perform their Zair. Neutral Air Dodge will also count as a "shield" input for this command.

TEAM1 DODGE :rtrigger:/:ltrigger:+:stick5: = TEAM2 F-TILT :stick6:+:abutton:
Dodging/Rolling while within a platform of Team2 will have them perform their Ftilt, which can be especially useful with the likes of Alakazam, Feraligatr and Breloom as their tilts are all long ranged (and powerful in Gator's case) to use as cover when rolling past them.

Directional Air Dodge also works for this, and as such Wavedashing near the Pokemon can command them to attack. If the Pokemon is airborne or has the foe grabbed, they will perform their Fair or Fthrow when this command is issued. In the case of the latter, the foe has only a mere 1/2 second worth of anti-grab armor.

TEAM1 TAUNT :dpad: = TEAM2 N-SPECIAL :bbutton:
Inputting a Taunt will command Team2 to perform it's Nspec, no matter the distance. Be wary of the positioning of this however, as laggy taunts of wrong-facing Pokemon can end up being punished hard. The taunt command can be done in the air as well, but will cause the Team1 mon to be inactive for 1/4 of a second as JOE! gives the other his command.

Note: Specials that are either held or charged will have the Pokemon hold it until instructed to do otherwise, with pressing taunt mid-taunt being able to cancel the special. Z is a special case here, as Conversion will select the Top Left color on the selection wheel for the Pokemon in Team1 with him, and then go clockwise from there with each press of Taunt.

TEAM1 JUMP :xbutton:/:ybutton: = TEAM2 THROW :stick7:/:stick9:
If your partner has the opponent grabbed, Jumping within a platform of them will have them perform their Uthrow. Alternately, if you are jumping within range of another throw (Usually Bthrow, but they can Fthrow at times too), they will attempt to throw the opponent towards you with that throw instead. As with the Ftilt command, opponents have 1/2 a second worth of anti-grab armor.

TEAM1 THROW :stick7:/:stick9: = TEAM2 JUMP + N-AIR :xbutton:/:ybutton:+:abutton:
Opposite of the last command, if you have an opponent grabbed and throw them into the air near your Team2 partner, they will jump up and attempt to intercept with their Nair. Depending on the throw, it is also possible to buffer in Fair with a Dodge, Zair with a Shield (you do not give foes grab-armor), or even Nspec with a taunt!

FLOW OF BATTLE:
A huge part of ATJ is how dynamic he becomes based on how many stocks (Pokemon) he has left. Playing with 3+ stocks is an entirely different game than when you have 2, and when you're down to the wire with 1 you have access to all sorts of new variables than before. This is even more pronounced depending on the standard stock count in Smash4, you could either see 3 stocks as in brawl, or 4 as in melee. This can completely swing the dynamic as then it may not be as big a deal to have an "expendable" Pokemon, as they could snag the extra life, as well as extend 3mon play for about 1/2 the match.

On the note of "3mon", the first 1-2 stocks (lets assume 4 stocks due to the more offense oriented nature of Smash4, that and 4) are vital as they set up the most momentum for your team, as well as give you the widest array of options. You have access to all 3 interactions and Super Smashes to build off of, as well as the ability to swap out to confuse and counter the foe's actions on either team. If you manage to secure a solid lead here, you should be golden.

That said, the gold may fade quickly after your first Pokemon is finally lost. When down to just 2 Pokemon, you are then limited down to just 1 interaction and Super Smash, a mere third of what you'd have normally, but gain the ability to swap between Pokemon without having to actually "switch". This can be an incredible asset to your game, as just imagine having say.. Bisharp and Breloom together, and at different parts of the stage. You can literally extend combos by tossing the foe to the other and switching control! Be wary of the cool-down between switches though, as relying on it too often can get you punished.

When you finally get down to the last man standing, it's gonna be an uphill battle no matter the mon. Most likely they will be beat up, stage effects will be gone, and they are literally on their last limb. Not all is lost however, as they gain the ability to actually use their Down B on command, making them a "proper" character! This can be either a set-back or a boost depending on the player, but more often than not this last ditch effort can be the difference between defeat and victory for ATJ.

POKEMON ADVANCED:
GENERAL:
  • Command Canceling: By inputting commands during other animations (such as Short-Hop and taunt, canceling the "inactive" period with your landing animation) you can get around some of the pitfalls of Dual Commands. A great example is to Wavedash inside of Ftilt-Command range, as it will count as a Dodge for the command.
  • Interactions: Did you know each pair of Pokemon has their own unique interaction? For example, if Breloom has Leech Seeds on an opponent, Feraligatr's water attacks will make them grow, causing them to heal much more! Check out the Team Builder below for more details.

ALAKAZAM:
  • Teleport Rescue: From the ground, Alakazam will instantly swap places with the Team2 Pokemon. This can be used as a rescue method as when his partner gets flung off-stage, he can safely warp them to the stage where he is, and then easily warp back himself!
  • SHFFL: Alakazam can land-cancel Psybeam, causing him to have barely any lag while firing it if he lands mid-animation.

FERALIGATR:
  • Movement: Feraligatr has 3 unique movement tools at his disposal, one for each direction. Especially useful is Waterfall and it's jump-cancel, as if you still have your Double Jump available, it can be possible to recovery by Waterfall>Jump>Side B! Dive has great use too (when you can actively use it) as other than be a harder hitting DK Down B that doesn't just hit the ground, it is also a great anti-pressure tool all around as it lets him shoot down from juggles and just make space in general.
  • Grab Game: Gatr's grappling is extremely potent with his stronger Grab duration, combined with Jump-Canceled Side B's, you can jump-cancel a grab from nearly any distance!

BRELOOM:
  • TRIPLE FINISH: Keeping with the fighting theme, did you know Breloom can activate a Super-Assist? If Breloom wracks up 60%, and has both partners alive, his portrait will glow indicating he can perform a "Triple Finish". Pressing A+B will now send out all 3 Pokemon at once to perform a special Combo move, check Breloom's Teams in the Team Builder for more info!
  • Sky Uppercut: A huge asset to Breloom's game is his UpB, doubling as both a surprisingly versatile recovery and an excellent onstage combo-maneuver. When recovering, Breloom can extend the range like with his Zair by about 1/3 of a platform above his fist, hooking on to the ledge as a tether. In Smash4, tethers have been re-worked so that they do not count as "occupying" the edge, allowing not only Tether-only characters to have their own unique gameplay, but for Breloom to still hang on even if somebody is there trying to block him! On-stage, Sky Uppercut has priority similar to Marth's Up B making it great for up-close spacing games when you connect. Even better is how you can cancel it into an aerial or Zair, adding to the offensive!

PORYGON-Z:
  • Quick Conversion: Conversion can be performed and canceled by tapping B then the direction of the type you want to change to. Canceling refers to when you tap B again while converting to cancel the animation without selecting a type, speeding up the process.
  • QCBlast: Using the above technique, it is possible to do have 2 types of projectiles out at once, simply by Shooting one, Quick-Converting, and shooting another!

BISHARP:
  • Cast-Iron-Camping: After coating yourself with Metal Coat, you can essentially just go to town with Metal Claws in order to -force- any foe to approach you. This is ideal for Bisharp mains who feel the need to always be baiting and punishing the opposition.
  • Quick Dual-Smash: Any amount of charge time will activate the Dual-Command smash, so even holding the input for a fraction of a second can activate it. Best done with Fsmash due to being able to stop after 1 hit.

ARMANTLE:
  • Fossil-Boost: Fossilize will actually push Armantle backwards a tad mid-air, this can be used to recover by Wavebouncing (face forward, pres Side B in the other direction then immediately press toward the stage) for a horizontal boost!
  • Ledge Extension: Ancient Power actually has a range of about 1/2 a platform in front of Armantle. Knowing this, it can be possible for him to do this off-stage when facing an edge to save himself!

TEAM BUILDER:
Here's a treat for you guys, an online Team-Builder!

Simply click on each Pokemon's portrait to proceed and find out all about each and every team you can think of!

(for those want to see the combinations all at once regardless of order, there is a link to a chart at the bottom of the page)
CHOOSE YOUR STARTER!

EXTRAS:

ALTERNATE COSUMES:

[collapse=Alakazam]

[/collapse]
[collapse=Feraligatr]

[/collapse]
[collapse=Breloom]

(Note: For god knows why Photobucket messed with the edges of the last two :c )
[/collapse]
[collapse=Porygon-Z]

[/collapse]
[collapse=Bisharp]

[/collapse]
[collapse=Armantle]

[/collapse]​

EVENT MATCH: CHAMPION JOE!

Using ATJ, pick any team combination you want, then fight off against the 19 you didn't pick in a 5-round tournament mode!

Winning this Event Match unlocks the 5th "Gold" costume slot for your Pokemon.

SPECIAL VICTORY MUSIC:

If you win a match without losing a single Pokemon, this theme will replace the normal Pokemon Fanfare.

UNLOCKING POKEMON:

Unlike other trainers, ATJ has to actually "catch" the rest of his roster through various methods. Starting with the first 3 Pokemon (Alakazam, Feraligatr and Breloom), you will have to encounter the remaining three through one of three ways:
  1. Pokeball: Porygon-Z, Bisharp and Armantle each have a 1/200 chance to appear from a Pokeball when ATJ is playing, and lacks any of them on his roster. You will have to KO them as they wander about performing their Down B to "capture" them, then win the match. The chance of encounter increases to 1/100 on stages relating to the Pokemon (rocky/fiery stages increase odds of Armantle, dark or foreboding areas promote Bisharp, and high-tech areas increase Porygon-Z)
  2. Story Mode/Event Match: Capturing the Pokemon in the Story Mode will of course unlock them after you complete story mode, and beating CHAMPION JOE! will unlock a new Pokemon each time to beat each difficulty.
  3. Other Players: Lastly, simply defeating other players online who have already unlocked a Pokemon you are missing may unlock said Pokemon for you.

-FIN-

JOE!

Smash Hero
ANNOUNCEMENT:
You know, it's been great here, but.... Ace Trainer JOE! is my final set.

I'm moving on with college, and actually getting into game design/etc, and for the moment that takes more priority than movesetting. I'll still be around in the Xat, and even in the thread to talk with you all, but probably not as often.

Thank you all for the awesomeness that is MYM, and who knows, maybe I might come back into it at some point? But for now, I feel like it's a good as time as ever to stop after summing up my career into this one set.

Feel free to hit me up on FB or wherever!

-JOE!
MYM5-13​

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
D:

Well it's sad to see you go, JOE. But RL is, of course, more important than MYM. I will try to comment Ace Trainer JOE! sometime soon. Hopefully it does good, eh?

Ciao~

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Well JOE, I'll miss your contributions, and I can say I enjoyed your last effort a fair bit. I'll into a more detailed comment soon, don't worry.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Stupid Joe stealing this page..it's not like I like your sets or anything...*sniff*

JOE!

Smash Hero
Thanks guys :)

Also, just a note: I'd like to nominate the set as a whole for MYmini Ʃ

And Feraligatr for MYmini #Ʊ

And, what teams did you guys end up picking?

rockon4life93

Smash Rookie
That's a in-depth project, JOE! Congrats on getting it done. Maybe some day I can do something as cool as that. I will give it a read even though I'm not all that familiar with the new Pokemon . . . or all those techniques you listed. I should study more about Smash Bros. if I want to make some good moveset.

On that note, I'm back in the States after a lovely vacation in Puerto Rico, just in time for a massive evil storm to slam my country. I'm glad I don't live in it's path, remember those who are affected and try to help them if you can, whether through donations, hands-on help, or prayers. If you live in the affected areas, stay safe everyone.

And happy halloween!

Time to get back to work on my moveset... :smirk:

Big Mac

Banned via Warnings
Halloween 2012 BEGINS.

UKA UKA

While Cortex is the main antagonist of the series, Uka Uka is the main villain, the man behind the man, essentially. Cortex is but a sniveling minion to Uka Uka who begs for his master’s forgiveness upon his many failures. While Uka Uka’s origins are not entirely known, he’s clearly immortal and he used to belong to some ancient culture, so unless there was some civilization of mask spirits he and his brother were probably humans at one point. Based off his appearance, it’s not exactly far fetched that Uka Uka was a witch doctor who bound himself to a mask to attain immortality.

Uka Uka’s goals aren’t exactly complicated – world domination, though with a lot more death and destruction than most world domination, as he’s less concerned with having a world to rule. Uka Uka is incredibly quick to anger, and will replace his minions for their failures on a whim. Given he was seemingly trapped in some sort of prison for a while before being freed by his minion, Cortex, it’s possible that his imprisonment actually affected his sanity a bit, as Uka Uka isn’t some super intelligent being like most immortal characters. He’s still an above average intellect, but he often lets his anger get the better of him, and regularly takes it out on his minions.

STATS

Aerial Control: 10
Aerial Speed: 8.5
Traction: 7
Weight: 3
Size: 2
Falling Speed: 1
Jumps: 0
Ground Movement: 0

Uka Uka is one of those levitating characters everybody’s so fond of, who is always technically considered as “in the air”, even if he goes along the ground. Instead of aerials, Uka Uka has Z button attacks, complete with smashes, and has a. . .”Unique” way of executing his grab-game instead.

In any case, Uka Uka can still dash in the same manner as a normal character by double tapping. . .But unlike other characters, Uka Uka will “dash” in whatever direction you double tap, rather than just left and right. He can even dash straight upwards, if necessary. Uka Uka can start a dash in any direction up to 5 times before having to land, and he will stop dashing if he comes into contact with a solid object, so he cannot go under the stage and dash upwards to stall. Attacking Uka Uka does not refresh these dashes in the way that it refreshes a normal character’s jumps.

Uka Uka cannot turn around without dashing or using a side input, and instead has the ability to walk backwards. Uka Uka will constantly be falling at the rate of his falling speed if there’s no ground within a Mario height below him (Though Uka Uka can go down next to the ground if he wants).

SPECIALS

DOWN SPECIAL – WORLD DESTRUCTION

Uka Uka rips out a rock from the ground in from of him the size of Kirby via levitation. If there is no ground in front of him, the bottom blast zone will do. The rock is solid, and Uka Uka can levitate it around at Mario’s dashing speed as he becomes stationary. When Uka Uka is holding the rock in place specifically, it is solid, but at no other time.

Uka Uka can press A and a direction to throw the rock in that direction 3 platforms, dealing 14% and knockback that KOs at 125% when first thrown, before slowly powering down into nothing as it travels. Pressing and holding B causes Uka Uka to spin around the rock he’s holding. If you press left or right, you can choose the specific direction you want to spin it. Spinning the rock turns it into a hitbox that deals 1-10 hits of 1% and flinching based off how fast you spin it, it taking 2 seconds to spin it around at top speed. If you throw the rock while it is spinning, the rock will roll along the ground once it lands on it, up to 3 extra platforms at top speed. Momentum (And thus power)/the distance the rock rolls can also be boosted by the rock rolling down slopes, unsurprisingly.

Pressing Z simply has Uka Uka drop the rock, making it deal 15% and a spike on par with Rob’s dair as it falls. Rocks vanish whenever they are in contact with the ground with no speed. Uka Uka cannot regain his “recovery” by coming into contact with anything other than the main stage.

Uka Uka still has a full shield and dodges that function normally, though his shield is rather small because of his size. What’s notable about them is because of Uka Uka’s constant aerial state, he has the unique ability to use his shield and rolls in the air.

NEUTRAL SPECIAL – LEVITATION TRAIL

An area in front of Uka Uka distorts visibly. If you just tap the button, the distorted area will be a cute little Pokeball sized area. If you hold it down, though, you can have Uka Uka create a trail of distorted air. You distort portions of the air one Pokeball at a time, with your trail moving along at Ganon’s dashing speed.

This levitation field causes anything that comes in contact with it to be pushed towards the top of it. A single little Pokeball of levitation field is strong enough to catch any character casually falling downwards normally, but if they’re fastfalling, you’ll need to add more depth to your levitation field to “catch” them as they fall down, and you’ll require a significant investment to catch a character using a stall then fall dair. Uka Uka isn’t completely immune to the levitation field, but will slowly fall through it over 5 seconds or so to prevent stalling.

Uka Uka can have up to a Smart Bomb Blast’s radius of ground affected by a levitation field. You cannot just casually ban enemies from using the ground by spreading a levitation field across it, though, as every 3% dealt to Uka Uka will cause the most recent Pokeball of space created to vanish as Uka Uka loses his concentration. If Uka Uka is not hit, though, the levitation field lasts forever.

This is much more useful for rocks than for foes. Rocks will never vanish if you suspend them in mid-air like this. In addition, you can create pseudo slopes out of levitation fields for rocks to roll down, increasing their momentum and power. You can create a levitation slope for rocks to go down before creating another levitation area to “catch” the rocks if you’re familiar enough with the trajectories/character, enabling you to easily re-throw them back up to the top of the slope to repeat the process.

If a foe in helpless reaches a levitation field, they will regain their jumps, so this cannot infinite a poor sap who used their recovery and landed on one. Foes will not regain their jumps unless they specifically are in helpless/have to recover their Up Special, in cases of recoveries like Sonic or most MYM recoveries.

The point that rocks are solid when they’re still is much more relevant once this move is taken into consideration, turning these solid rocks into tiny “platforms” of sorts. Unfortunately, they’re only platforms for the foe – Uka Uka cannot balance on top of the rocks with his awkward stature and will slide off the sides of them.

SIDE SPECIAL – LASER VISION

Uka Uka fires a pair of laser beams out of his eyes for as long as you hold B. As you hold it, you can press up and down to move the laser beam up and down to direct Uka Uka’s aim so long as it doesn’t go directly upwards/downwards, as well as left and right to move the lasers along. The lasers deal a constant 15 hits of 1% and flinching at first, before slowly deteriorating over 5 seconds into nothing. It requires a charge up twice as long as Bowser’s flame breath to come back up to full strength. It’s longer than Bowser’s because Uka Uka’s lasers have infinite range.

The lasers will rebound off of any solid objects they come in contact with. On Final Destination, this will just let you create one extra angle as you rebound them off the ground. On Battlefield, though, you can play around a lot with “bullet hell” by doing so on the platforms. While not every match will be played on Battlefield, rocks sitting up in the air on levitation fields make fine substitutes to rebound your lasers off of.

Uka Uka can split his lasers apart to cause them to stop functioning as one beam and thus not rebound off objects by holding A in addition to B. This will cause one laser to be extended into the foreground, the other the background. Yes, this is a Z plane hitting attack that will hit people attempting to dodge no matter which plane they go into, hitting people with a token hit of 6% and flinching as it sends them back to the main Z plane.

Uka Uka can still move his lasers about normally while they are like this, and will cause part of the ground to get burned up in the Z plane. No visible terraforming is done yet, it seemingly just aesthetic at this point. The black burned up portion of the ground will get larger/deeper as Uka Uka continues firing on a specific spot, but the burned up terrain will still not inhibit characters who attempt to dodge over that area. The smaller portion of charred ground will still appear when Uka Uka fires the main beam into the main plane at a section of ground, but the hole will be too small to affect play beyond aesthetics.

The purpose of this comes into play when you attempt to pull out a rock in front of an area where you’ve burned a 3D circle of ground. Essentially, what Uka Uka was doing with the lasers was burning out an outline for you to rip out of the ground with Down Special. This actually does terraform the stage, but the depth of what you rip out by default is wafer thin, just as thin as a battlefield platform. You can make portions of what you’re ripping out deeper by concentrating your laser beams on a specific area for a longer amount of time – one Kirby height per second. Any wafer thin parts of the ground you’ve grabbed will be drop through rather than be totally solid. If you crush somebody against ground with a non fall-through chunk of ground, they will get pitfalled into the ground in addition to the variable damage they take from the depth of the ground.

Uka Uka will not be able to psychically throw larger chunks of ground as forcefully as plain rocks, meaning they’ll be weaker and travel as far, but the length of what you grab matters little in comparison to the depth, enabling Uka Uka to make larger hitboxes by uprooting long wafer thin ground chunks. Spinning around grabbed ground will turn it into a hitbox more powerful based off the depth, doing 5% and weak knockback at minimum. More importantly, you can stop spinning it at any point to get the terrain at a specific angle.

This would be a good time to tell you that rocks bounce off of solid surfaces they collide with horizontally. Sadly, this does not cartoonishly increase their momentum, meaning you can’t just create some sort of pen on the ground for rocks to bounce back and forth between. What you can do is create a levitation field slope in the air that ends with a ramp to launch rocks going along it at the end. Then, place an aerial wall via levitation in the way of the trajectory, causing it to get knocked back at the slope before rolling down it again.

Because Uka Uka does not already love Battlefield enough, he can immediately grab and levitate around wafer thin platforms at will. The exception is wafer thin platforms that make up the actual meat of the current stage, like the transition platforms on Delfino Plaza and Halberd. Uka Uka can still carve out the transitional platform if he hurries before the stage transition completes on those stages. In that case, though, foes will still be free to use the other platforms in the transition phase, and all platforms will be back safe and sound during the next transition phase regardless.

UP SPECIAL – TORNADO

Uka Uka spins around rapidly over a second to create a tornado as wide as Bowser and twice Ganon’s height. The tornado has a pull as strong as Whispy Woods on the Green Greens stage on characters, rocks, and wafer thin platforms. Slightly deeper platforms can be carried, but will be more slowly, and any platform with more depth than Kirby will never be pulled. The tornado lasts 10 seconds.

On contact with the tornado, objects inside of it will spin around before getting shot out of the top with knockback that KOs at 115%. Characters inside the tornado can still attack, the tornado dealing no damage or hitstun whatsoever. Rocks and platforms with depth spin around the most slowly inside the tornado, getting shot out after 6+ seconds, characters next up at 4 seconds, and wafer thin platforms get shot out the most quickly at 2 seconds.

Contact with a rock inside a tornado/platform with depth will deal 8+% and stun slightly less than Zamus’ dsmash. Foes will be passing by these objects due to them going faster through the tornado than these objects, splatting against them briefly. Wafer thin platforms will go more quickly than foes, meaning they will come up behind foes in the tornado before ramming past them, dealing 12% and stun on par with Zamus’ dsmash. Yes, these objects can be dodged past by characters inside the tornado.

Yes, you want to send in rocks/heavy platforms first, then the foe, then wafer thin platforms. You can do something more active with it than just making a highly specific, though. Firing your lasers, whether you’re inside the tornado or outside of it, is very effective as you rebound off of the objects inside the tornado to create a whirlwind of death to foes inside. You see, as characters spin around, they go through the various Z planes as they spin around in a 3D fashion, meaning Uka Uka can split his lasers to make them reflect off of all sorts of bizarre angles inside the tornado, preventing foes from dodging the debris inside if he’s skilled enough.

Uka Uka is vulnerable to this move.

GRAB-GAME

GRAB – POSSESSION

Uka Uka can only turn around by dashing, using a side input behind him, or using a forwards roll. Pushing the control stick backwards generically without smashing will cause Uka Uka to instead walk backwards. Walking backwards is quite relevant, as if Uka Uka’s back comes in contact with an enemy character’s face as he’s walking backwards, he will latch onto them, the foe wearing him as a mask. While this is quite a scary passive hitbox foes have to constantly be aware of, it’s counter balanced by the fact that foes can just casually punch Uka Uka out of his grab and win out every time – the grab priority only comes into play if you clash with a headbutting attack or something.

The forward roll proves extraordinarily useful in landing this grab. Say you’re behind the foe facing their back, just roll in front of them and now they’ll be facing you while your back will be to them. The backwards roll simply closes space if the facings are already correct while evading potential enemy attacks. Uka Uka finds this grab much easier to land on aerial enemies, if only for them having more difficulty in turning around. With Uka Uka’s levitation fields, keeping them in the air isn’t an especially difficult task.

Once the foe is actually grabbed, you can have the foe move about at their walking speed and use their first jump. To pummel and throw, input any button but shield for pummel, and any non-shield buton and a direction for a throw. Uka Uka can have the foe dodge while he has them grabbed, enabling him to get the foe into position if he’s facing multiple enemies. More relevant, Uka Uka can have the foe shield if they’re on the ground, potentially even breaking it if the foe is at some ludicrously high percentage or had their shield damaged to start with. Abusing the shield against foes trying to get you off of the foe you have grabbed can serve as an effective way to break the foe’s shield.

PUMMEL– MIND CONTROL

Uka Uka has the foe punch themselves in the gut, dealing 3% as he laughs at them. This is only the pummel in a 1v1 situation, though. If there are multiple enemies, Uka Uka will have the foe perform their most useful standard (D3 utilt), or their most useful aerial if they’re in the air (D3 bair). The game never considers stall then fall dairs or overly playstyle specific moves “most useful”. This gives Uka Uka a means of attacking these other foes without having to use a throw to give him some more competent self defense.

FORWARD THROW – SPRINT

Uka Uka has the foe whirl their regs about in place as they get ready for a sprint, their legs eventually just becoming a circling blur like when Sonic runs. This lasts until the foe escapes the grab or Uka presses a button, at which point the foe will go zooming off. With no charge at all, they go at their dashing speed, whereas every second after that increases that speed by 1.2x. After the foe actually lets loose their speed and goes to dash, Uka Uka leaves the foe’s face. They’ll only dash forwards for a Bowser width or so before they’ll attempt to stop what Uka Uka did, putting up their foot to dig it into the ground to try and skid to a stop. Foes will skid to a stop after traveling half a platform minimum, and each second spent charging the throw after that adds another half second. Assuming the foe did not run out of stage during this time, they will collapse into prone on their stomachs at the end, taking 10%.

This is all assuming the throw is used on the ground. If the foe doesn’t have ground to help themselves skid to a stop, it takes twice as long for them to come to a stop, though they will transition into the usual skidding animation on contact with the ground. This throw rewards you having the foe high up in the air, letting you space their horizontal position as you see fit with this throw, or just pushing them towards a side blast zone more easily.

In addition, the portion at the end where the foe falls forwards into prone will turn them into a grab hitbox against other foes as they tackle on top of them, the foe finally gaining control of their DI at that point but being unable to move if they successfully “grab” someone. If they smash against the foe under them against the ground, they will damage that foe for 16%. The foe also has an hitbox to outside foes as they dash through the air, dealing 15% and knockback that KOs at 115%. As far as skidding on the ground, they kick up a massive amount of sand forwards as they skid, dealing 20 hits of 1% and flinching per second in a 1.5x Bowser sized dust cloud in front of them as they skid.

If the foe ever comes into contact with a solid object during this move, AKA a portion of stage you’ve set up to be entirely vertical or a rock, they will take damage based off how quickly they collided into it. A minimum of 5%, with an extra 8% added on for every second they were charging the throw. If they were on the ground, they will collapse onto their backs into prone from this. While we’re not there yet, know that Uka Uka can grab foes specifically prone on their –backs- with his utilt.

BACK THROW – PELVIC THRUST

Uka Uka has the foe perform a pelvic thrust in front of themselves. To outside foes, this deals 8% and knockback that KOs at 150%. This pelvic thrust attack is out-prioritized by any attacks, though, much less disjointed ones like Uka Uka’s rocks and other lingering hitboxes. If an attack hits the foe’s crotch as they extend it out (It sticks out far enough it’s hard to miss it), it will deal double damage and knockback to the foe as Uka Uka leaves the foe’s face immediately.

If the throw isn’t interrupted, after a brief period Uka Uka will have the foe punch themselves in the crotch, dealing 13%, knocking foes onto their backs into prone, and making them slide backwards with knockback that KOs at 155%.

On females/characters without genitalia, the counter aspect of this move does not work. In a hypothetical game where this character would exist, only a single character wouldn’t be affected by it fully.

DOWN THROW – SUICIDE DIVE

Uka Uka has the foe jump in the air slightly if they’re on the ground, before the foe claps their hands together and extends them above their head. The foe turns upside down before plunging downwards for a stall then fall dair, falling as fast as Bowser’s Down Special and being just as damaging as said move to outside foes. Just before contact with the ground, Uka Uka will hastily get out of the way as the foe crashes face first into the ground, taking damage varying based off how far they fell and entering prone, taking 8% minimum. For every Ganondorf the foe falls, they will take an additional 4%. If the foe falls 3 Ganondorfs or more, they will get pitfalled instead of entering prone.

Given Uka Uka already has reason to grab foes in the air, this makes for a good throw, but this throw also encourages juggling the foe higher into the air, serving as a nice potential reward for doing so. If you use this for suicide KOing for whatever reason, Uka Uka will always die first.

UP THROW – BELLY BOUNCE

Uka Uka has the foe go horizontal in mid-air before body slamming the ground. This doesn’t have the foe fall at an especially fast speed, it being comparable to Mario’s dashing speed or so. Uka Uka leaves the foe’s body as soon as he orders the foe to body slam. If the foe body slams an outside foe, he will deal 13% and a spike on par with Rob’s dair to them. No, this does not instantly kill a foe if you use it off-stage, as foes can escape this throw with a mere half grab escape difficulty, at which point they come out of the belly flop instantly and all their momentum is canceled.

On contact with the ground, the foe takes the actual damage and knockback of the attack. The foe will deal 10% to themselves before bouncing off the ground into the air, taking a minimum knockback of 4 Ganondorfs up, but with weak knockback growth that only KOs at 170%. Yes, it can launch foes, but you can’t possibly rely on this throw to KO. . .Can you? With Uka Uka’s ability to have ground and solid rocks up in the air, he can have the foe bounce off that as their “ground” when they’re already high up in the air for the KO! Hitting another foe also counts as “ground” for the body slamming foe to bounce off of.

Z SMASHES

DOWN Z SMASH – EXPLOSION

Uka Uka pulses as a crosshair appears that you can move at Ganon’s ever so slow walking speed in any direction. The crosshair increases in size from that of a Pokeball to that of DK over the course of the charging, before finally exploding in a laggy explosion that deals 22-36% and knockback that kills at 95-75%.

If this explosion overlaps a chunk of ground, it will cause the ground chunk to split in two if the ground chunk is not more than twice as large as the size of the explosion, in which case this does nothing to it. If the explosion is as large or larger than the size of the ground chunk, it will cause that to get exploded entirely. Yes, this works on rocks.

Splitting a rock in two causes it to have halved power, but double the distance you can psychically throw it with Down B/increases the speed. These rocks are still perfectly good fodder for rebounding your lasers off of, making this a quicker way to get more rocks, but also provide better fodder for bullet hell in an infinite slope if you’ve set one up, due to their speed and quantity. Ideally, you want a mix of smaller and larger rocks so foes are too busy avoiding the small ones they get hit by the larger ones.

FORWARD Z SMASH – GALE

Uka Uka spins around for the charging animation before releasing a much smaller tornado forwards. At minimum charge, a small tornado, no bigger than a Waddle Doo, is formed. This small tornado moves 3 platforms at Ganon’s ever slow –walking- speed, turning enemies around on contact and dealing 3%. This move is fast enough uncharged that it can work as Mario’s cape, while also getting out a nifty little lingering projectile out there. The tornado can suck up small rocks from Down Z Smash even at minimum size, and they will spin around inside the tornado until getting shot up 8 Ganondorfs at Sonic’s dashing speed, them quite powerful with all of said momentum due to their light weight. At quarter charge, the tornado is Mario sized and can suck up regular rocks, which are shot up half as far as the smaller rocks, but due to their doubled size are just as powerful anyway. At half charge, the tornado is Ganon sized and can finally suck up foes, shooting them out as powerfully as the tornado from N64 Hyrule Castle. Charging the tornado further causes it to travel up to 5 platforms instead of 3.

If the tornado comes into contact with a wind hitbox, it will get pushed by it and have the timer on when it’s expired partially refreshed, recovering up to half of its lifespan, but not going over the max lifespan it’s normally allowed to have. This will also cause the tornado’s direction to be changed into the direction the wind hitbox was going.

If the tornado comes into contact with another tornado from this move, they will combine, doubling their size and combining their lifespan. The direction they will go in will be the direction the most recently created tornado was going. The tornados sadly cannot become larger than the max charge will allow, but this still enables you to build up a viable tornado trap without spending any real time charging. Having a series of tornados going back and forth at varying heights is what you’d ideally want to get foes higher into the air, potentially even comboing into each other if you’ve got them moving just right, though this would obviously require very specific timing.

UP Z SMASH – EARTHQUAKE

Uka Uka causes the nearest source of ground to shake for half a second. This deals 18-30% and vertical knockback that KOs at 140-100%, making this serve as an excellent launcher, potentially launching multiple foes at once, even. While this won’t help Uka Uka when he’s up in the air normally, if he has some ground or a rock up there with him he can cause that to shake instead. If you don’t want to include rocks as “ground” for this smash, just double tap the input. Uka Uka never earthshakes small rocks from Down Z Smash.

A SMASHES

DOWN SMASH – HURRICANE

Uka Uka spins around for a time varying based off how long you charged the move, 2-6.5 seconds. Uka Uka spins around in 3D circles, and is considered as in a dodge plane as it circles about in 3D space and incapable of being hit. There is enough space for Bowser to fit inside of the circles Uka Uka runs around. Uka Uka’s spinning body does 5% and stun slightly better than a flinch as it passes by through the main Z plane, and characters inside the circle take 5 hits of 1% and flinching per second. Foes can attempt to DI out of this area, obviously, but when they get out they will be dizzy, having a spinning status effect for half the time they were in the Hurricane. Uka Uka can also press any button and a direction to have anyone in the middle of the hurricane shot out with knockback that KOs at 155% in a direction of his choosing. Foes shot out from this are a hitbox to outside foes that does 12% and knockback that KOs at 125%.

What this spinning effect does is cause foes to constantly turn around as they spin about, preventing foes from choosing which way they face. They can still attack, jump, and move in the air. Their ground movement is slightly awkward, as they can only move at the set speed of Ganondorf’s dash, and do not have access to their dashing attacks obviously. They are not allowed to attack while moving on the ground, but can in the air, all as normal. If they are on the ground when the spinning effect wears off, they will dizzily fall into prone.

Obviously, a foe being forced to change which direction they face regularly is quite beneficial for landing grabs. . .Right? Well it would be, if not for the fact that constantly turning back and forth essentially turns every attack in their moveset into a GTFO dsmash, enabling them to attack you much better when their “back” is turned. It can still be helpful by itself if you read them successfully, and the foe will generally be fairly panicky during this time. The fact the foe falls over into prone at the end of the move, though, will almost always prompt them to jump up at the end, giving you a much more predictable window to go for the grab if you pressure them while they’re on the ground so they don’t just go into the air immediately.

You can grab rocks with this move before shooting them at foes. This doesn’t shoot them as powerfully as Down Special of course, but it doesn’t leave you defenseless as you move the rock about. Any rocks/additional foes in the center of this move will damage each other, increasing the damage per second to foes in the middle of the hurricane by 2%. Small rocks from the Down Z Smash only add 1%, of course. If multiple objects are inside, you will shoot out the earliest one that have entered by pressing a button.

Forward Z Smash tornados can also be grabbed, but won’t add any damage to this, this just letting you move them around. This will completely refresh their timer. More importantly, their size will increase as you spin them around inside your personal hurricane, increasing to max size over 3.5 seconds. This is slower than charging one up manually, but obviously enables you to multitask. If you’re especially evil, you can grab one of these in the hurricane, grab the foe, then shoot out the slow hurricane before shooting the foe into it, perhaps followed by throwing a rock or two at them for good measure.

This move obviously can be used as a generic spacer, carrying people around before shooting them at something, but if you’re deliberately pulling foes towards something obvious it will be far easier for them to DI out earlier. The grab-game is the way to go for that.

FORWARD SMASH – METEOR SHOWER

A meteor shoots out of the sky from the top blast zone, somewhere behind Uka Uka, coming down at a diagonally downwards angle towards Uka Uka. How far the meteor spawns behind Uka Uka depends on how high Uka Uka is in the air/how high the top blast zone is – it always comes down at such an angle that the meteor will always pass right in front of where Uka Uka inputted the move, while still going at the completely diagonal angle.

The meteors fall down at Sonic’s dashing speed, and 1-5 can be summoned based off charge, each spaced a good platform or so apart. The meteors travel much too fast to be affected by levitation fields or what have you, though you can slow them slightly if you want to for whatever reason. On contact, the Kirby sized meteors explode, dealing 15% and knockback that KOs at 125%.

This move is very fast to use with almost no lag given to Uka Uka himself, but considering how far the meteors have to travel to reach the ground, quite predictable none the less in normal combat. On the ground, its use is largely limited to bullet hell. The higher and higher you get into the air, though, the more threatening this attack becomes.

The meteors deal horizontal knockback rather than diagonally downwards knockback, to prevent this from being hilariously easy fodder for gimping. Yes, you can air dodge one as it whizzes by quite easily due to how fast they are, but with multiple ones right behind it that’s not so easy.

If you’re unlucky enough to be playing on a stage with a ceiling as Uka Uka, a character who mainly kills people off the top, this attack will cause the meteor to break a hole in the ceiling as it comes down for your convenience so you don’t have to awkwardly terraform out the ceiling.

UP SMASH – UKA UKA’S REIGN

The nearest source of ground to Uka Uka that does not consist of a rock is used for this attack. Once the charge is done, a Wario width shower of rocks comes out from the portion of the ground that’s nearest to Uka Uka’s horizontal position. It’s a constant stream of rocks going upwards, dealing 20-30 hits of 1% and flinching per second along with a wind effect that pushes characters caught in it upwards at the rate of Mario’s dashing speed. This constant stream of rocks reaches all the way to the top blast zone, and lasts 3 seconds. 3 seconds later, gravity comes into play as the rocks rain back down from on high in an identical fashion to how they went up, but with the wind effect pushing foes down instead of up.

This isn’t that laggy to start, but is largely useless in the air where Uka Uka likes to do most of his fighting, given it will take a good while for the rocks on the ground to reach foes. Of course, you can have other ground in the air to use as a source for this attack, but it’s pretty obvious what you’re going to do in these scenarios to an intelligent foe.

If the rocks from this move rain back down into a levitation field, the levitation field will catch some of it, potentially all of it if it’s big enough (Double Bowser’s size). From there, these rocks will float in place and do absolutely nothing, but will be treated as an area for you to be allowed to use the usmash from in the future, increasing your options without relying on extensive set-up.

If the rock shower lands in a tornado from Up Special, it will cause foes inside the tornado to take 3% extra damage per second while they’re inside the tornado as it spins around inside of it for 2 seconds, then the tornado will automatically spit up the rocks from the top of it, performing the usmash itself, essentially. If the rocks rain back down into the tornado before it expires, it’s perfectly happy to fire them up into the air a second time, even.

If the rocks enter a tornado from the Z Fsmash that’s remotely decently sized, the tornado will catch some of the rocks from the usmash and shoot them up as it takes them in. At max size, the tornado will shoot up enough rocks to deal 10 hits of 1% and flinching per second, with the stream of rocks going up being just as wide and pushing foes just as strongly as usual. This essentially causes the tornado to create a spray of rocks shooting upwards across the screen, creating a very nice way to pepper aerial foes, especially multiple ones. If the tornado is at minimum size, it won’t really create miniature usmashes, but it will generate and shoot up one small rock from the Z Dsmash every second it’s in contact with the usmash rocks raining down. Uka Uka’s dsmash functions identically to a max size tornado from Z Fsmash, shooting up rocks as it takes them in, but the advantage of this is you obviously get to choose the horizontal position the rocks are re-shot up at.

Z STANDARDS

NEUTRAL Z – LEVITATION FIELD

Uka Uka turns to face the screen, meaning he sadly can’t grab people during this move, then psychically distorts the air in a Smart Bomb blast sized radius around himself. Anyone or anything that enters the radius will be pulled towards Uka Uka wind hitbox style with a push twice as strong as Dedede’s inhale. After half a second of this, the push then shifts in a direction of your choosing (Up by default) and gets even stronger at triple Dedede’s inhale rate, until the levitation field vanishes a bit later, giving the move a total duration of one second (No start/end lag).

Naturally, foes will try to attack Uka Uka as they get pulled to him before they can ever get pushed away. Something you have to keep in mind, though, is that the current momentum of the foe stacks with the pushing/pulling from this move, meaning if they’re DIing to the left towards you and you have the levitation field push them to the left that they can very easily whizz on past you and whiff their attack, leaving them vulnerable in the air. Z fsmash tornados and rocks can also significantly interfere with the ability of foes to knock you out of this, as you simultaneously position both the foe and these objects. Levitation trails can also stack with this, meaning foes will very slowly be pulled in towards you if they have to go past levitation trails, practically just being suspended in place. Meanwhile, you can gather rocks/tornados you’re your sides and below you to shoot at the foe above you. Extra foes make fine substitutes for rocks/tornados, as foes stupidly hit each other as they unite at the middle in a pathetic attempt to stop you.

Uka Uka cannot move during this move.

FORWARD Z – PSYCHIC PRISON

Uka Uka starts using his powers on a Bowser sized circle shaped portion of air in front of him for as long as you hold the button. The border of this circle looks a bit different from the rest, pushing people inwards. The outside pushes foes in more strongly than people can DI out, while the interior of the “prison” does 10 hits of 1% and no flinching per second. The only way for foes to escape this prison is to use a move that propels them out with strong motion – AKA, their recovery, those occasionally Side Special or something. In the case of characters who can only escape with their Up Specials, this is great news for Uka Uka as it boosts them up into the air and potentially puts them into helpless in the process. Note that characters with ranged attacks can fire them out of the “prison” to hit Uka Uka and interrupt the move, but if you use this move behind the foe (A position the foe likes to get into to avoid your grab), they won’t be facing you to properly use it.

Every 10th hit with this move (Even if you cancel out of this move and start it up again) will deal a flinch to the foe, just for the sake of refreshing their recoveries in case you grabbed a poor sap stuck in helpless with this move. In addition, Uka Uka cannot hold out this move for more than 5 seconds in case some moveset is too incompetent to have a recovery to boost them out or a projectile.

This can contain rocks and tornados, and while there isn’t much point to containing a tornado, a rock will spin around the interior in loop de loops if it already had some forwards momentum before it entered the psychic prison. This will constantly build up the rock’s momentum, with it getting launched in the direction it’s going when you stop holding this move. You can try to trap a rock inside the same psychic prison as a foe, but the knockback from the rock will undoubtedly knock the foe out of it if the rock was moving quickly enough to perform loop de loops inside the prison anyway.

UP Z - LOOP

Uka Uka goes in a 2D circle for once, doing a shuttle loop with enough space for Bowser to fit inside before whooshing forwards from the speed building maneuver a platform. Uka Uka’s body is a hitbox during the whole move that does 7% and knockback away from Uka Uka that KOs at 160%. There is a wind hitbox inside the circle Uka Uka makes that pushes enemies forwards, giving you a very safe spacer to push enemies in the air towards a levitation field, nevermind a rock, which is affected by this in the same manner.

If you’re behind the foe, the exact opposite of what you want, this move enables you to not only move ahead of them so they’re behind you, but push them into your back once you pass them. This might sound too good to be true, but keep in mind a wind hitbox does nothing at all to stun a foe, so they’ll see this coming and smack you on their way into your grab. If you move a rock along with the foe, though, no matter how small, the simple poking hit from it will ideally prevent the foe’s resistance.

DOWN Z - SUFFOCATE

Uka Uka looks below himself and grins as a Bowser width Kirby tall area below Uka Uka distorts for as long as Uka Uka holds the button. This functions exactly like the levitation trail, but it pushes foes downwards rather than upwards, and only lasts as long as Uka Uka is using this move. Uka Uka can move while he uses this attack, enabling him to push foes down, but he can just be attacked out of the move while he’s doing that and this refreshes foes in helpless despite doing no damage or stun, like the regular levitation trail.

If you use this against a foe sitting on top of a normal levitation trail, they will get suffocated between the two levitation fields, getting crushed in mid-air and taking 13% as they enter prone in mid-air. If they roll past the levitation trail area from prone, they will exit the prone state immediately and enter their regular aerial state. This quite easily can be tech chased into a utilt to grab the foe, or another use of this move if you have a long enough levitation trail. If rocks are rolling along this area of levitation trail, stalling with a prone game is just begging for one to roll by and clobber them, too.

This will force a foe standing on the ground into prone as well, but will not damage them due to not actually getting suffocated. If the foe is standing on a very small piece of land, though, suck as a rock suspended in mid-air or some small chunk of ground, this is more beneficial than some ordinary tech-chasing due to foes being insanely predictable as they get up with where they roll to. Foes can dash off of a rock before they get immediately hit by this move again, sadly, due to very brief immunity to being hit by this move twice in a row. In that scenario, though, foes are practically begging to be grabbed as they get up.

A STANDARDS

NEUTRAL ATTACK - WHIRL

Uka Uka doesn’t levitate around in circles, no, this move is more comparable to the many generic spinning nairs found in Brawl. This deals 7 hits of 1% and flinching per second as Uka Uka spins, with Uka Uka able to hold it out like a jab due to it being one. While you’d think this would be a godsend simply because it’d be very difficult to DI out of when Uka Uka can move while using it, this move does very slight outward set knockback, enabling foes to DI out with minimal problem after 5 or so hits if they’re competent.

Your goal during this move is very obviously to get a grab. While the foe won’t change what way they’re facing, you’re constantly shifting the way you are back and forth throughout this move, and ideally the foe should be stuck in the flinching hits to enable you to DI up to their head. This is the main thing that makes the move good, as foes who are just trying to DI out of the move ignoring your grab hitbox can easily be grabbed, meaning some foes will try to DI in specific directions to get their face away from you. Predictable DI to space foes where you want, mindgames to keep the foe in for more hits, it’s all nice, but the grab is obviously your ultimate goal.

FORWARD TILT - RUSH

Uka Uka rushes forwards a platform at Sonic’s dashing speed, causing anybody he goes past to take a mere 5% but strangely strong knockback behind him, KOing at 125%. Even if the foe dodges the attack, they’ll be hit with a wind hitbox that pushes them back half a platform as Uka Uka whizzes past. This attack is obviously a decent way to make space if you want to flee from a particular enemy to set up or something.

Used inside a tornado from the Up Special will cause Uka Uka to travel up the tornado more quickly than usual, skipping a full second of the normal four seconds he would spend inside the tornado. What’s more, any characters you whizz past will be whizzed downwards into the tornado, forced to spend an additional second inside of it. If they dodge the attack, they will be pushed back .2 seconds worth into the tornado by the “wind hitbox”. Uka Uka can also use the ftilt in the opposite direction to go back down into the tornado if he wants, though this means any foes he passes will get pushed upwards, helping them get out of it. This can obviously helpto get foes closer to harmful hitboxes inside the tornado, and position them or Uka Uka better to reflect his laser vision off of stuff inside the tornado. Beware that Uka Uka has zero priority with this attack, so foes can smack Uka Uka out of it to prevent getting pushed at all.

UP TILT - CHOMP

Uka Uka leans over onto his back, going horizontal, before extending his gigantic mouth wide and chomping angrily. This creates a hitbox roughly the size of Wario that deals 7% and vertical knockback that KOs at 115%. This makes for a great juggling move, being one of Uka Uka’s most spammable, and Uka Uka obviously enjoys getting foes higher into the air. The fact this utilt has some actual power on it means if you don’t spam it to stale it, this move makes an excellent finisher once you’ve gotten the foe high into the air for a star KO.

Because you aren’t going to be using this move enough, you remember how the grab is a completely passive hitbox, not an input, right? Going horizontal enables Uka Uka to fall down onto characters laying on their backs in prone for a grab. The fact Uka Uka still has a chomping hitbox above him as he does this is all the sweeter in a setting with multiple enemies.

DOWN TILT - SLIDE

Uka Uka points his lower half diagonally downwards before traveling in that direction .7 platforms. If Uka Uka comes in contact with the ground, he will align himself to be against the ground to actually slide along it upon contact with it. This move does 8 hits of 1% and tiny set dragging knockback as Uka Uka travels.

If Uka Uka slides along a slope, then he will pick up momentum as he slides along it, increasing the speed progressively as he travels down it until he reaches the end of the slope. Obviously, the place you’re going to be using this is levitation trail slopes. While slopes will obviously bring foes downwards, you can use ramps located at the ends of the slopes to launch yourself up at the end, dragging the foe with you.

Foes can DI out of the dragging hits, but they have to DI downwards, as the dragging hits deal very slight downwards/central knockback to prevent foes from DIing out other ways. If you have a levitation trail below you pushing foes up, though, that’s not an issue, making this quite specifically built for use on the levitation trails and not just random slopes. While this won’t help you drag foes once you’ve gone off the ramp at the end of a slope to launch them, Uka Uka can cancel the move when he’s not actually up against a slope and built up some momentum, enabling him to follow up into a quick utilt or Up Z.

This move also gives you a good reason to make the ramp at the end ramp up into something purely vertical, enabling you to drag a foe directly skywards with you. You can still have rocks go back to the start by levitating up a platform at a diagonal angle facing down to bounce rocks back towards the start of the levitation trail slope. In such a scenario, foes who DI downwards away from Uka Uka once he’s taken them off the slope will potentially get hit by rocks on the slope.

FINAL SMASH

Uka Uka laughs evily as he bellows “There is nowhere to hide from the great Uka Uka!”, causing lightning to strike in the background for dramatic effect. . .Surprisingly, the lightning isn’t just there for villainous aesthetics – for the next 10 seconds, all foes will be struck with a bolt of lightning that looks quite like that seen in Pikachu’s Down Special every 1.3 seconds. This lightning bolt deals 20% and vertical knockback that KOs at 100%. Obviously, Uka Uka can help the lightning out by getting foes higher into the air. There’s no need for Uka Uka to help –that- much, ideally one of the lightning bolts should launch the foe, then you just have to juggle them until the lightning strikes again to finish them.

PLAYSTYLE SUMMARY

Uka Uka’s playstyle of KOing foes off the top may seem so straightforward and streamlined that he’ll easily get a kill from all of his methods of bringing the foe skyward immediately, but one thing you have to keep in mind is that many of the move descriptions assume stuff is already set-up. That set-up is an actual legitimate part of Uka Uka’s playstyle, though, in that he’ll still be juggling foes a lot when he know he can’t kill them just to get them out of the way. The dthrow is particularly useful here in the early to mid phases of the game, where you can get the foe high but not nearly high enough to finish them, giving you actual motivation to keep going. Aside from setting up, try to end every trip into the air with a grab. Dsmash is a nice way to end a launch to the air with one as foes are stuck slowly turning about as they get out of it. If the foe wasn’t high enough for the dthrow reward, fthrow is the throw you’ll be looking for in this phase of the game, getting foes a nice distance away to buy set-up time.

Of course, the obvious alternative to this for the set-up phase is to just go in the air out of the foe’s reach and do set-up from on high before you fall back down. Yes, you can get fairly reliable set-ups for levitation trails/slopes and rocks, but both tornado variants will expire too quickly for you to set-up well in advance for this to work. Uka Uka’s set-up also isn’t so powerful that it means he doesn’t have to damage rack, as aside from helping him launch the foe higher it’s necessary to make foes have some actual difficulty escaping Uka Uka’s fantastic grab. That said, this approach works significantly better with some set-up done with levitating rocks scattered about the field, giving you a fantastic ranged tool to deal with foes as you set-up.

The Forward Z Smash tornados have to be kept around with constant micromanagement, and if you happen to be around those elevations anyway, you can multitask to keep them around by bringing them towards the foe with your wind/levitation hitboxes to assault them. They’re an invaluable addition to your arsenal when you add the usmash into the mix to have them send back up the rocky chunks back into the air. The Up Special Tornado can just be on the ground and used as a launching/damage-racking tool or give you some set-up time, but keep in mind it can also be placed in the air. Bringing all of the garbage around you’re using as hazards into the tornado in one fell swoop can be just what you need to finish the enemy, and you can be right in there with them to add on plenty of more damage for the finish as you get launched out of the top for the finale.

I’m not going to go into detail about the various ways to get foes higher/launch them in the first place, as the set-up was the only thing that wasn’t particularly elaborated upon in the actual moveset. Just go out of your way to keep the foe on some form of ground in the air rather than the actual ground. Having lots of ground/rocks about is never a bad thing, as it will get in the way of foes trying to go back down to the stage by fast falling, and especially those using stall then fall dairs to do it as they experience landing lag. In addition, if you have enough of it out it makes it far easier to get the foe into the air once you’ve grabbed them by using all of the ground you’ve placed as stepping stones towards the top blast zone. Just don’t get too greedy and make sure you use your throw at the end of the grab before they escape.

How you go about setting up is really the only thing about the playstyle that isn’t hilariously obvious. Uka Uka has a lot of room for varied set-ups with his ludicrously customizable terraforming, I’ve just given some of the possibilities throughout the set. The ways you have to launch and juggle the foe are too numerous to talk about here, and are more than well detailed enough in their move descriptions.

3V1 BOSS MODE

As the most canonically powerful character in the canon version of Crash Bandicoot, it’d be something of a crime if Uka Uka did not have a boss mode in the MYM canon. Pitting 3 characters against Uka Uka on the select screen will cause Uka Uka to laugh evily as his portrait flashes and he gains a fiery aura, signifying the boss mode has been activated.

Note that a significant amount of moves are extensively more useful in boss mode and have specific uses for boss mode, but most of them are listed in the moves themselves, just as ways to deal with “multiple enemies”. This changelist will only list actual changes, though, and will not go over the use of every move in 3v1.

• Uka Uka’s weight is buffed simply to not be lightweight, getting a boost from a 3/10 to a 7/10. He’s still as perfectly frail as any of the enemies he’s facing, but no more so. As far as bosses are concerned, he’s made of paper.
  • Uka Uka does not have hitstun resistance because of the fact that he is constantly considered as in the air, enabling him to move away when he’s stunned regardless of the situation to avoid infinites.
  • If Uka Uka escapes a grab, rather than entering a grab release animation he will automatically grab the person that had him grabbed.
  • Uka Uka takes hitstun from throws, but is immune to grabs for one second after he is thrown.
  • Neutral Special will have Uka Uka create his levitation trail a Kirby size at a time, and he can move about the trail he creates at Mario’s dashing speed.
  • Levitation trails no longer refresh foes from helpless.
  • Uka Uka must take 5% as opposed to 3% to remove a Pokeball’s worth of levitation trail.
  • Uka Uka carves into the ground 3x as quickly when he has his lasers enter the Z planes.
  • Uka Uka’s grab escape difficulty is buffed to 3x the regular amount.
  • Uka Uka has full control over people he possesses in boss mode, even being allowed to dash while controlling them. Note that if Uka Uka’s mask specifically is ever hit with an attack that does hitstun while he has someone grabbed (This also applies to regular Uka Uka) the grab will end instantly as Uka Uka is knocked off the foe’s face. Either way, that’s what the foe’s shield is for, foes helping Uka Uka break the foe’s shield. If you don’t want to risk getting the shield broken too early, Uka Uka’s bthrow gets much more use in boss mode than in 1v1. Uka Uka activates throws and pummel by pressing the Z button, meaning you do not have access to the possessed foe’s grab-game. This in combination with Uka Uka’s aerial prowess are what gives him staying power.
  • Uka Uka’s pummel is just the generic version where he makes the foe punch themselves in the gut.
  • Forward Z Smash tornados are max size at minimum, and can be up to double the max size they are in 1v1 with charging/combining with other tornados. The new fully charged tornados from this move can absorb all of the rocky shrapnel from a Up Smash, though it will still take a while to shoot it out and do so in a spray as it moves along.
  • The earthshaking from the Up Z Smash will last for 2 full seconds after the smash is complete, though you cannot make the ground shake when it is already shaking to buffer it.
  • Forward Smash has a maximum of 8 meteors instead of 5. When you charge long enough to get 3 meteors normally, 1 meteor will specifically shoot from the sky down towards the nearest foe’s position. When you charge long enough for 4 meteors, another meteor will shoot for the second nearest, and when you fully charge the move one final meteor will come after the foe farthest away from you.
  • The push effect in the stream of rocks from Up Smash will push foes 1.5x as quickly as normal.
  • The hitbox from Forward Z lingers on after you’re done holding the button, sticking around as a levitation source. This lasts forever until foes destroy it the same way they destroy your main levitation trail. This is mainly useful for building up the momentum of rocks in a compact space. Uka Uka cannot have more than one of these out at a time, the first one vanishing.
  • The hitbox from Down Z lingers just like Forward Z, even right down to you only being allowed to have one of them out at a time. Like the levitation trails, this no longer saves foes from helplessness.
  • If you suffocate a foe with Down Z against a Up B Levitation Trail, this will put them into helpless rather than putting them into prone in mid-air.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
[collapse="Uka Uka"]It occurred to me pretty quickly that Uka Uka is a highly "experimental" set from the fact that it attempts to combine many seemingly unrelated concepts together to create a brand new playstyle fitting for a god-like being. This is also evident from the different "feel" of your writing style. For all the effects given out at the Specials, the set gets pretty darn clever at the grab game, and while the comical actions Uka Uka forces his foe to commit are pretty humorous and fitting for him, they take over too much of the foe's character for my liking by assuming everyone would be able to perform them - it's not so much that Uka Uka makes the foe perform these specific actions but rather him being able to make them do the impossible what with making them run on air faster than Sonic with the F-throw. It would have been alright if some of this stuff was based on the foe's statistics, though said F-throw was long enough as it was.

I think my main problem with this set is that while it flows and is pretty clever on that basis at times, it gets a little too repetitive on some of the inputs due to needing to fill in special inputs for Uka Uka's aerial nature and you being insistent on juggling foes into the air most of the time despite there being a whole lot of ways to do it. This repetitive isn't that bad by itself, but being familiar with the series Uka Uka sort of strikes me as someone who can do a lot more than what's presented in the set instead of being focused: what with how far you go, it would have been really cool to see him create a golem body for himself to crush opponents into oblivion with, giving him a heavyweight feel and a bigger use for his "unique" body-type AKA the mask. At times the set seems quite focused with the KO method and rocks in mind but also seemingly unfocused to a degree. Right now I'm not completely convinced about the set, but that doesn't mean that can't change.[/collapse]

Katapultar

Smash Lord
8 Yukiki 8

Another member of the Shurara Corps, Yukiki is a snowman Keronian sent to cool off the Keroro Platoon with his snow and ice-based abilities. He was the second-last member to be thrown at the Platoon when Shurara started to lose his patience, though given he's made of snow and all he was quite easy to defeat...with a heat gun made by Kululu.​

8 Specials 8

O Neutral Special -- Snowstorm
Yukiki scoffs and crosses his arms arrogantly, causing snow to pile up where he's standing or moving about if one so desires. Within one second the snow is tall enough to fully obscure Yukiki's body and wide enough to surround a Platform around him, but as the input is held out the snow will spread out even more until reaching halfway to the top of the screen from the ground it was resting upon. The snow is thick enough to let players stand on it and can be knocked away by foes' attacks without causing them hitlag (thus getting rid of the snow), but if somebody happens to be standing where snow is falling they'll be buried in it instead. If buried up to their legs foes will only be able to run through the snow at best and have more lag before they jump, while being buried up to their torso forces them to walk through to get anywhere. If a foe finds themselves completely buried for whatever reason they'l be forced to awkwardly swim through the snow with half their aerial speed and a bit of lag added onto their attacks in order to escape, unable to move the mass of snow with their attacks from the inside.

Unlike foes, Yukiki is completely obscured and unfazed by the snow. He can also fall through it to automatically reach the bottom, and upon jumping in it he automatically reaches the top.​

O Side Special -- Frog Freezer
Yukiki inhales before exhaling frigid air in a identical manner to the Ice Climber's Down Special, but with the bonus of freezing the floor for 5 seconds and items. If Yukiki uses this move while standing on top of snow he'll freeze the surface which has to be destroyed like the ice on the Ice Climbers' Break the Targets Stage in Melee, fragments being destroyed with a single attack or by being jumped into. Should Yukiki wish to cover a lot of ground with his breath, he can charge this attack to push himself back as far as 5 SBBs while he blows, doubling as a neat spacing and recovery tool.​

O Up Special -- General Winter
Yukiki transforms himself into a SBB-tall snowstorm which you can move about at Marth's dashing speed. Yukiki is invincible in this form and deals foes 5 non-flinching hits of 1% every second he's overlapping them, decreasing their speed by 1/6ths and dealing double damage for every further second he overlaps them. Yukiki can stay as a blizzard for a whopping 3 seconds, though he has to wait 4 seconds to regain a second on his recovery until it eventually reaches full power again. As a blizzard Yukiki can travel through all ice-based structures and blows his snow around as he moves through it. Yukiki also pushes items around that he makes contact with.​

O Down Special -- Snowballer
Yukiki raises his hands above him, generating a snowball at the same size and rate as Samus' Charge Shot before throwing it ahead of him. If used in the air, Yukiki will instead throw the ball downwards as it remains stationary upon hitting the ground. At first, the snowball travels pretty quickly despite only dealing a pathetic 5% with flinching knockback, but as it gets larger it becomes more powerful at the cost of slowing down. The snowball collects snow it rolls over to endlessly add to its mass to the point where upon becoming 1.5X bigger than Bowser foes it rolls over or whom are knocked into it become trapped in it headfirst as the lower-half of their body struggles to get free and takes 10% a second if it's stuck between a surface. To escape, foes have to hold down on the control stick as if fastfalling for 1.5X grab difficulty or shave away at the area they're trapped in with their aerial attacks in a similar light to knocking snow away only the snowball will constantly remain circular no matter how the snow surrounding it is removed. Foes can also destroy the snowball by dealing 10% to the inside for every 0.5 SBBs large it is. If foes find themselves completely buried inside the snowball due to it having picked up more snow while they were stuck inside they'll have to maneuver through snowball in the same vein as regular snow only with added trouble of the snowball constantly rotating in order to mess with their controls.

Yukiki can stand atop a large snowball and roll it around using his dash. He can also enter the snowball by touching it and reside in the middle where he's allowed to use his aerial game and smashes, effectively being "invincible" until the snowball is destroyed, he exits it with his jump or is somehow attacked by the foe. Using the Side Special inside the snowball has Yukiki tackily pop his head out from the bottom to chill the ground ahead of him, serving as a way to ice up snow in the event where Yukiki does not wish to take mass from it - while icing up snow does indeed prohibit snowballs from being able to gather up snow from that area, a relatively large snowball will crash through ice within 2 seconds of sitting atop one area at most. Only one snowball can be out at a time, and using this move then causes him to perform his Up Special only he re-locates himself atop the snowball at the cost of using 2 seconds worth of his recovery. Using the Up Special inside a snowball causes the entire thing to turn into a snowstorm which Yukiki can move around and relocate, while using the Down Special while atop a snowball or inside one causes it to fall apart and re-cover the stage anew, scattering any items or foes that were stuck inside.​

8 Standards 8

O Standard -- Ice Runner
Yukiki hops forward and kicks with both feet in a weak icy attack that deals 4% and weak knockback that can KO at around 330%, a fast move that gets the job done at the very least. If Yukiki kicks at a snowball (or on the side of snow) he gains the tacky ability to run up it at his dashing speed with his icy feet or something maybe being a justification, but regardless Yukiki can use his tilts and ground game while on top of the snowball, and can get off by jumping or shielding or using Side Special what have you. If Yukiki is running atop his snowball it's easy for him to attack at different angles and throw items into it wherever he wants, as well as make it difficult for foes to attack him.

If Yukiki ends the attack on top of snow he can run along the surfaces of it normally instead.​

O Dash Attack -- Penguindrum
Yukiki gets on his belly and slides forward, like a penguin from Super Mario 64! The slide is pretty fast and comes out quickly, dealing a token 3% and flinching to anyone hit by Yukiki as he travels half of FD as well as collecting the first item he comes across if he wasn't holding one. The only downside to this attack is the troublesome ending lag Yukiki experiences as he slowly gets up, but any punishment he would otherwise take can be somewhat negated if he had the cover of snow or entered a snowball. If Yukiki used this atop a snowball he'll leap off it before proceeding to slide across the ground if there was any ahead of him, otherwise transitioning into his aerial game if there wasn't any. This at least lets Yukiki get ahead of his snowball whenever necessary given he's not usually very fast without his scarce recovery.​

O F-tilt -- Snow Fight
Yukiki faces away from the screen, scrunching up some snow to create a small snowball he can throw a fair distance to deal 2% and flinching, tossing it anyway if the input is used again. Atop of snow, Yukiki can create and throw snowballs at the rate Olimar can pluck Pikmin at the cost of taking snow from one area and forming it into a pile elsewhere, but without snow the lag in creating one makes it far from worth it. At the very least though, by using this move when Yukiki is holding an item he'll cover it up with snow to hide it, landing a surprise attack on foes if they're hit by the item itself or being able to hide the item elsewhere by throwing the snowball into another area of snow. If this move is used while Yukiki is buried in his own snow he'll pop up and use the attack normally. This attack has fairly interesting results atop a snowball given Yukiki can pool snow from it to throw at enemies, making the snowball roll faster until it collects said snow while being able to pester foes at the same time.​

O U-tilt -- Chilling Winds
Yukiki raises a hand upwards, causing a wind to blow out beneath him that extends 1.2 SBBs upwards and is just as wide for as long as the input is held for up to 4 seconds. The wind pushes characters up to its peak at Ganon's walking speed and instantly lifts any items or snow around Yukiki, the latter being able to hit enemies they make contact with. Once the wind falls snow slops on enemies as a weak hitbox that deals 1-4% and puts them in prone, little more than something to keep them in place for a snowball to scoop them up. On top of a snowball this move lets Yukiki take off as much snow as he pleases to shrink the snowball and subsequently dig up any items that may be stuck inside. Depending on how much snow Yukiki takes off, he can end up forming two slopes connected to either side of the snowball, which isn't really a snowball anymore but rather a kind of hill Yukiki can stand on top of to roll another snowball off of it to give it some much-needed momentum, as well as trap foes inside using his Side Special to freeze the surface. If Yukiki used this move on top of a moving snowball he can let the snow and items he take off slop down behind him when they exit the wind's range to throw off those trying to get at him from behind, and it's simple enough for Yukiki to take control of the snowball and roll over to that direction to reclaim anything he tossed up with the wind.​

O D-tilt -- White Puddle King
Yukiki melts into a 1/2 Platform-sized puddle with only part of his face sticking out and the ability to move across the stage at Diddy's dashing speed until A is released. Although Yukiki much lighter in this state as if his original weight wasn't bad enough, anyone who tries to move across the ground while standing atop of him instantly trips, having to jump or attack him (possibly with their situationals) in order to prevent such. Being tripped doesn't sound all that bad, but when one takes into account that Yukiki can sneak around in the snow and carries items along with him it gets a whole lot worse. If the control stick is directed towards a particuarly thick amount of snow such as a snowball, Yukiki will find himself able to seep through it (while that area appears wet for visual indication), having "free flight" whilst being able to drag around items should be desire to pick out stuff that's been buried in snow or that he's planted in a snowball.​

8 Smashes 8

O F-Smash -- Winter Wrath
Yukiki puffs his chest out in a exaggerated manner before blowing out a cold gust of wind that travels as far as 1.5-4 SBBs. The wind gets weaker as it travels outwards, but can otherwise be used for gimping and blowing snow around: inside snow whatever's within range is blown away and slopped off from the rest of the snow which falls to take its place, letting Yukiki change its height to his own accord. Yukiki can also blow his snowballs around, and can push foes away trying to jump over the snowball in order to mess with the timing of their jumps. Inside a snowball, Yukiki will instead blow on the inside to influence anything inside, pushing foes and items within his range to the edge of the snowball; if they're already on the edge they'll be shot out instead.​

O U-Smash -- Ice Rocketer
Yukiki hunches down before leaping into the air as far as 1-2.5 SBBs while being able to move DI sideways, using all the power his small body can muster as he puts on a serious face. This is actually a pretty decent attack as Yukiki headbutts the foe for 8-14% and decent vertical knockback that KOs at 160-120%, a good anti-air as Yukiki busts through all foes and perishable obstacles in his way. Even after reaching his peak Yukiki falls to the ground headfirst at the same rate, spiking mid-air foes he comes across while bouncing off of them, holding his head in pain comically afterwards - if Yukiki fell any further than the height from which he originally fell from his headbutt will gain power, dealing 0.05-0.2X more damage and knockback for every Ganon height he fell from. This is particularly useful when on top of a snowball, though Yukiki is unable to go through snow on his way down, instead getting his head stuck inside for a bit of landing lag.

Yukiki has the bonus of being able to choose which direction he leaps out from inside his snowball, which is an excellent way to follow up an gimping attempt on foes trapped inside the snowball no matter, and if the snowball is high enough you can actually try and Star KO foes when they're right near the blast zone without having to get all risky offstage. Also, if Yukiki uses this inside snow he'll appear to have resurfaced in a more dynamic manner, only he's dragged foes who were above him along for the ride as they take the damage and knockback of the move upon resurfacing.​

O D-Smash -- New Year's Gift
Yukiki takes out a present and holds it as an item, though I assure you foes won't like this gift one bit when it explodes in their face upon being attacked or thrown against a surface 2 times. The explosive gift can be as damaging as Snake's Grenades or even a Bomb-omb, but regardless the fire damage clears out any nearby snow (stopping them from taking less knockback in the process)...and OHKOs Yukiki when he takes 2.5X damage and knockback against fire attacks. Still, explosive gifts serve as Yukiki's most direct KO method and can even be hidden inside snow given their small size, making foes think twice about attacking aimlessly. Yukiki can even throw gifts into snowballs to discourage foes from attacking their way out, and if Yukiki is inside his snowball he'l plant it in the middle, causing it to destroy the entire snowball and make it snow splatter outwards with a relatively strong pushing effect that can gimp foes if the snowball was big enough as Yukiki footstool jumps upwards to safety. There can only be 4 explosive gifts onstage at a time.​

8 Aerials 8

O N-air -- Ice Block
Yukiki encases himself in a small block of ice and crashes downwards, being a clone of Kirby's Down Special minus dealing half damage/knockback but being able to stay frozen for twice as long. Yukiki will crash through any ice on his way and if he lands in snow he'll splash it outwards for a mini-FLUDD effect as said ice piles up on either side as a weak slope that can slightly influence snowballs. The invincibility frames Yukiki experiences as an ice block also prevent him from being killed by his own presents he placed about in the snow and forgot about, which you can even detonate near a foe to KO them early. If Yukiki lands on a moving snowball or is rolled over by one he'll be stuck to it like an item or foe would be, letting him reform on any angle to attack a foe or escape. Using this inside a snowball causes the core to freeze over and put weight on it, making it fall twice as quickly in the case where you've become desperate enough to suicide with a foe so they can't escape quickly enough.​

O F-air -- Snow-Butt
Yukiki slams his head forward as it comically enlarges like with some of the more cartoony Nintendo fighters for good measure. This attack has sex-kick properties to it as Yukiki's head stays out as a hitbox slightly weaker than Dedede's reliable B-air that knocks foes on a relatively low angle, making it fairly useful for pressuring foes offstage or into a snowball. The only notably bad thing about the attack is the landing lag which Yukiki suffers upon hitting the ground, which is worsened if he lands in snow as his body gets stuck there while being laid out for a good while despite having any knockback against him halved, still taking into account the snow's universal protection. If Yukiki is rolled over by his snowball while suffering from the attack's landing lag he'll get stuck on its surface, able to enter the snowball and control it with a backwards input, escape by jumping or using B, use his N-air to stick himself there or use his F-air to attack foes.

If this move is used while Yukiki is inside his snowball he'll exit forward and proceed to headbutt from there as the snowball stops moving at the same time unless it was moving down a slope.​

O B-air -- Bobby's Bobsled
Yukiki takes out a Keronian-sized bobsled, as wide as a platform, hoists it above his head before swinging it down in a incredibly proppy manner not seen since the likes of MYM5. The bobsled deals 15% with some good diagonal downwards knockback that can KO offstage at 80% as it breaks on contact with the foe (or if they attack it), but if Yukiki fails he'll be dragged down by the bobbysled's weight in a stall-then-fall manner where he has a chance to damage foes. Yukiki suffers massive landing lag upon hitting the ground as he struggles to get back on his feet, and if the bobsled makes contact with any form of snow it'll embed itself halfway on an angle as an obstacle that can be destroyed like Wario's bike (hint: use a snowball to negate the landing lag). While stuck in snow, the bobsled can be picked up by a snowball to be used as an obstacle against foes trying to jump over it or inside it, and if the snowball is moving at a reasonably fast pace the bobsled will even act as a damaging hitbox to those on the outside with the aforementioned properties. If the snow a snowball is rolling over is thick enough the bobsled will remain in-tact on contact with the ground, but if there's an insufficient amount of snow and the bobsled would make contact with solid ground that part sticking out will be crushed. Yukiki can have up to 3 bobsleds out at once, free to use them as platforms to assail his foes.​

O U-air -- Spiker
Yukiki raises a hand to create a double-edged ice spike above him that extends as far as Dedede's hammer. The tip of the spike stays out for a bit whilst dealing a sharp 12% that KOs at 200%, and while the hitbox is disjointed it's a bit specific and as such Yukiki is easily punished if foes move around it, especially since they can destroy said spike. If the ice spike hits a ceiling it'll embed itself there for 2 seconds as a rather nifty trap you can use against playground foes or on certain stages to discourage enemies from jumping too high when trying to cross your snowball. If Yukiki uses this move in his snowball he'll make the ice spike stick out halfway atop the snowball which he's allowed to spam to a relative degree, being able to set-up a snowball with traps to mess with the foe on the outside and the inside as they block their way. As the snowballs rolls across the stage it leaves the ices spikes behind as traps to those who think they're safe from going behind, and Yukiki can roll over them to put them back on the snowball if he wants them back on for some pragmatic reason.​

O D-air -- Snow Dive
Yukiki turns upside-down and starts spinning his body like a drill, a variant of Wario's D-air with significantly less range that can be held out indefinitely whilst dealing 3% with weak downwards knockback that can pressure foes into snowballs or offstage without risking suicide. If Yukiki lands on snow while spinning he'll slosh it around him for a mini-FLUDD effect whilst comically drilling through it at a rate of 1 SBB per second, making an indent in his own makeshift structure....too bad normal foes can't follow him through the tunnel due to how small he is, being forced to tear through the snow in order to reach him. Yukiki will enter his snowball normally if he lands on it, and if he uses this while inside he'll deposit himself from the bottom, a good way to retreat while foes have to deal with the snowball itself. Being able to dig through snow has some decent flow from the U-Smash, because if foes try to follow Yukiki into the pit he's made he can simply re-locate himself atop his snowball using the D-Special input before diving into the pit foes are now stuck in, dealing them some strong damage if they refuse to come out in fear of being trapped inside the snowball.​

8 Grab 8

Yukiki hops a little, hoping to cling onto the foe's chest whilst freezing their body a little for good measure. Despite being meant for human-sized characters Yukiki can still grab smaller characters like other Keronians if they're next to him when he grabs. Yukiki's Pummel has him chill the foe for 1% at a fast rate.​

O F-throw -- Head Smash
Yukiki puts on a agitated face, rearing his head back before smashing it into the foe's head as hard as he can. This deals 13% and some very powerful diagonal downwards knockback that can KO at 140% and usually sends foes sliding across the ground on contact. Foes can escape Yukiki's attack before he executes it in which case he'll slam into the ground and suffer similar lag to his F-air that leaves him open to punishment, unless he was in snow in which case the foe won't be able to travel to Yukiki in time given how hard it is to trudge through snow and grab releases. Yukiki can also cover up his own lag if he's caught by a snowball behind him.​

O B-throw -- Deep Snower
Yukiki jumps above the foe before holding his hands out, generating a blast of cold air that pins them down for 10% as he's propelled into the air roughly 2 SBBs distance. Foes are usually put into prone from the blast, but atop of snow their head will stick out and on a snowball they're pushed into the very middle where escaping is at its most difficult. And while unlikely, foes standing on a drop-through surface are pushed through it a SBB's distance. A very fast and straightforward throw that easily positions foes in the midst of a rolling snowball, and the fact that it propels Yukiki into the air can be advantageous given he can transition to standing atop his snowball.​

O U-throw -- Cold Carrier
Yukiki transforms into a snowstorm via Up Special, allowing him to carry his foe anywhere at 1/3 the speed and damage. This contributes to the use of the Up Special however good it is for dumping foes into a snowball, so use it wisely.​

O D-throw -- Abominable Snowman
Yukiki freezes the foe's chest before hopping off them. From there, the ice proceeds to spread to the foe's body as they take 1% every 0.5 seconds before being frozen after 3 seconds. If foes can't block or dodge the effect they'll suffer the misfortune of being an easy target for Yukiki's snowball and thus his gimping, as it's surprisingly easy for him to just use this throw on a foe right before the snowball gets them.​

8 Final Smash 8

Shurara, Yukiki's boss and Putata's for good measure, appears on a computer screen, telling Yukiki to bring the foes to his mansion. Yukiki replies with a salute before transforming into a massive snowstorm that blows every foe away, sending them to a mansion stage identical to Dhaos' Castle where they have to fight all 9 members of the Shurara Corps, minus Yukiki and Shurara, until either party is KO'ed. Overall there are 8 pitifully light foes who have Lv3 AI, but if you really want to know how much of a threat they can be you'll have to wait until they get their own sets...​

Totally realized this was posted on the wrong holiday...

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
The Soldier
This is a CtF set completed very, very late, and I'm a little disappointed nobody seems to have commented it besides Agi thus far. The moves are fairly generic at points, but they're very clearly designed with CtF in mind, such as the infinite range rockets and suicidal techniques that feel vastly more useful when in CtF the Soldier won't be dying until obscene percents. The buff banner provides some of the more creative stuff in the set too, such as the ability to transfer the buff via a rocket or even surround a foe with the aura via the DThrow. His ability to propel himself through the air with his own rockets also gets way more interesting in the context of moves like the Uair and Dair, and obviously serve as a nice way to circumvent the incredible wall of defense the foe has undoubtedly set up. It doesn't really feel broken at this either, Soldier can't completely shred the enemy team's defenses, but he still manages to provide a very versatile assistant to the team's offense. You even give him something to do in that 30 minute waiting period at the start of the match. Props for that.

As far as actual complaints go, there is some minor filler with attacks that largely just serve to do stuff like high shield damage. It's inoffensive and can help him push through into the enemy base, but it's not really tailored that much to do so. Some other things, like a shotgun that pushes around traps/foes as opposed to dealing straight damage and knockback, just feel a bit weird to me. Not truly tacky and fine in the context of the playstyle, but a tad jarring none-the-less. I'm not really a fan of the random pummel KO, I suppose it's from in game but it feels kind of irrelevant, and a bit unjustified as actually being a pummel KO. All this stuff isn't a huge deal though, and while the set initially appears to lack flow in some aspects, further thought makes it a lot more interesting... there's actually a ton of depth here, which becomes very apparent when you read the grab game.

Spiral
This moveset was made in an hour and a half to try and "sabotage" the WoMF jokesets although you missed the mark by half an hour, so I didn't exactly have high expectations. Honestly it was a bit better than expected though, with the blade crossing sweetspots and teleports Spiral has a decent spacing game going on, getting the precise range for the sweetspot with either of those techniques. I imagine she can string together some slightly interesting combos too with the slow moving projectile and the ability to double attack. Aside from the fact that you admittedly did the mechanic before and sans the sweetspot/combo stuff it's really bland(and even that has fairly little focus), I think my main complaint is the two Specials with the extremely slow teleport and the invisibility feel more than a little ridiculous, given I think the foe should reasonably be able to predict which one you're using 90% of the time and if you use the other you'll just end up makin yourself look ridiculous(hah, you thought I went invisible but in reality, I repositioned myself a few stage builder blocks!) I could see myself finding the set decent, but wasting 2 specials in a set as basic as this is a pretty big mistake. Still, better than I'd expect for being made on such short notice.

Shang Tsung
I've been kind of dreading commenting this set considering the Up Special isn't nearly as broken as I initially thought. That said, it's still a rather ridiculous move with the main point of it being just to make yourself into Uboa and screw over MYM sets by teleporting them out of their set up. Just swapping positions isn't going to do anything otherwise unless you're abusing it to gimp, which you, thankfully, don't allow. Disguising oneself as the foe is a mechanic that really doesn't work out unless neither character is often visible, the foe knows exactly what buttons your pressing... the Neutral Special while disguising yourself may help with that a little bit, but I have a bit of trouble understanding what that move is even doing. It's very poorly phrased. Past that the set is just fodder fighting game stuff with nothing to make the combos interesting... it makes sense given he comes from a fighting game, but with absolutely nothing interesting for him to do with it and awkward stuff like projectiles on aerials and the one Soul Stealing throw which randomly is powered by the last 3 attacks the foe used, I would say that it fails even as a simplistic combo/rushdown set. Nevermind we have no idea how this character is supposed to combo in the first place. On top of all that you don't have any sort of gore in here despite stabbing into the opponent with his hands and him coming from a series whose bloody(har har) trademark is gore. Definently not your finest set, though I'll give it to you that it's a lot more tolerable than Flim and Flam.

Uka Uka
Uka Uka has a pretty fantastic base, being able to basically redesign the stage however he wishes with rocks floating on levitation field, as well as the platforms of customizable depth and such. The earthquaking Up Smash is honestly one of the better moves in the set too, being able to turn this stuff into a hitbox. Or you can just use the lasers to ricochet off all the rocks you've made to create bullet hell, or make slopes and ramps out of levitation field. That stuff is all fine, very much on track with the same formula that made Koala Kong such a great set. As we get further on, you have a variety of tornados(given that's all the character really does in canon other than possess people, this is hardly something I can blame you for) to toss about rocks with, use to rack damage, and push foes towards the top blast zone, and I actually very much like the Up Smash as well with it's ability to turn any of this ground Uka Uka's made into a method of juggling.

The mind control grab game I'm less fond of, for reasons of stuff like the pelvic thrust and the Sonic-style dash being awkward on a large number of characters. Why would that trip up Sonic, how the hell is Vol Opt supposed to run like that, and on some characters the BThrow does nothing. I still loathe Forward Z even in it's current form, forcing opponents to use a specific type of attack in order to escape an arbitrary prison is pretty... awful and takes a bit of the strategy out of using him when you can just basically force foes into helpless as well as higher in the air. It's very, very character specific in how it works, but uninteractive as hell. One move isn't something particularly worth nitpicking I suppose, but the Up Special tornado reminds me of that after more thought, and stuff like the Forward Tilt to prolong their time in the tornado doesn't really help. Then you just add on stuff like aerial prone states and how easily he can abuse most of his moves into getting the foe in his passive grab hitbox, he feels fairly broken and lockdown heavy, making his attempts to get the foe higher into the air feel a lot more flowcharty. That's not a good thing on a set that is very clearly trying to be playgroundy. Sans that, some of the moves like the giant wave of rocks and the meteors don't really add that much, and the innate nature of the grab will usually send the foe falling further down, which is a bit counter-intuitive when you consider Uka Uka's trying to move them higher into the air, though the DThrow serving as a back-up reward to an actual KO is rather nice at least.

It's not a deal breaker though, the base is still very good, and the broken/lockdown aspects are a lot more forgivable in the context of 3v1. I just wish the set spent more working into it's playground aspects and less on the abuse of the grab and the more lockdown-ish stuff presented later in the set.
I frankly want to like the set more than I do, so I'm not exactly dreading you picking apart my complaints.

Yukiki
This is yet another set based around creating mass amounts of ice to reshape the stage to the players liking, this time attached to a Keronian with mild item manipulation. I think I told you in Tabitha that you've overdone this archetype by now, but you do it again here, with snow that works as less solid ice to provide some variation... though trapping the foe in snow feels a bit obnoxious for the opponent considering how much they're going to have to mash out. You flow into this decently by creating icicles to trap the opponent in the snowball, as well as your token ways to reshape the snow itself. It still ends up feeling pretty done before, and it would be very very easy to condense all this stuff down into one input with him just tunneling through the snow or something, whilst giving him more items to work with(you give him 3, one of which is an awkward as hell bobsled which you pull out on the Bair of all things) or perhaps some stuff that actually uses the snow for something interesting, as opposed to just leaving it as an awkward impeding factor for the foe. I have a bit of trouble getting behind the whole concept of the rolling snowball when it feels so bloody easy to destroy the opponent with while you're inside it given how little the players have to react. I probably am sounding a bit all over the place here, but I dislike this set, and I guess the main reason for that is just how many moves are dedicated to reshaping the snowball and just ENTERING THE SNOWBALL. You don't need about 4-5 inputs for that.

Big Mac

Banned via Warnings
For all the effects given out at the Specials, the set gets pretty darn clever at the grab game, and while the comical actions Uka Uka forces his foe to commit are pretty humorous and fitting for him, they take over too much of the foe's character for my liking by assuming everyone would be able to perform them - it's not so much that Uka Uka makes the foe perform these specific actions but rather him being able to make them do the impossible what with making them run on air faster than Sonic with the F-throw. It would have been alright if some of this stuff was based on the foe's statistics, though said F-throw was long enough as it was.
I admit giving the foe a set speed in the fthrow was a bad idea. Changed it to vary based off character. Aside from that, I'm not really seeing the problems.

This repetitive isn't that bad by itself, but being familiar with the series Uka Uka sort of strikes me as someone who can do a lot more than what's presented in the set instead of being focused: what with how far you go, it would have been really cool to see him create a golem body for himself to crush opponents into oblivion with, giving him a heavyweight feel and a bigger use for his "unique" body-type AKA the mask.
I was specifically trying to limit his abilities to what is actually shown. He creates a golem body for himself in the non Naughty Dog title known as "Twinsanity", where he cowers in fear of a pair of pet parrots.

At times the set seems quite focused with the KO method and rocks in mind but also seemingly unfocused to a degree.
What I don't even.

The mind control grab game I'm less fond of, for reasons of stuff like the pelvic thrust and the Sonic-style dash being awkward on a large number of characters. Why would that trip up Sonic, how the hell is Vol Opt supposed to run like that, and on some characters the BThrow does nothing.
Don't use this "on stuff like" nonsense. Zoop Triangle can fall downwards for a uthrow or a dthrow just fine. Leave them out of this, if you please.

Bthrow is still functional on characters that do not get the main effect, not doing "nothing", being a standard Brawl throw, and fthrow has been changed to be based off the foe's actual speed.

I still loathe Forward Z even in it's current form, forcing opponents to use a specific type of attack in order to escape an arbitrary prison is pretty... awful and takes a bit of the strategy out of using him when you can just basically force foes into helpless as well as higher in the air. It's very, very character specific in how it works, but uninteractive as hell.
I still think using a projectile is the main way of getting out of the thing rather than using Up Special, and JOE! has always been very insistent on using Side Special to be able to turn around in mid-air if that's what you're worried about. As far as helpless, all of the ground and levitation trails around are overly easy ways for foes to save themselves from it without using the main stage. It's not like this move cancels instantly anyway, and if Uka Uka used this on a grounded foe fastfalling to the ground doesn't take long. If anything I find this move too weak.

One move isn't something particularly worth nitpicking I suppose, but the Up Special tornado reminds me of that after more thought, and stuff like the Forward Tilt to prolong their time in the tornado doesn't really help.
Uka Uka isn't invulnerable in the tornado, and said ftilt in particular is the main thing that actually makes him vulnerable inside of it. The physics of how the tornado works are under-elaborated, but the foe can very much hit Uka Uka as well with their own projectiles if the positioning's right, much less with a melee move if they're above/below him or god forbid right next to him.

Then you just add on stuff like aerial prone states and how easily he can abuse most of his moves into getting the foe in his passive grab hitbox, he feels fairly broken and lockdown heavy, making his attempts to get the foe higher into the air feel a lot more flowcharty.
It's not like he has a set full of crap to actually abuse prone. He still has to guess correctly. If there's too little space to move on a levitation trail, they can just roll off the side, and I was especially generous if they entered prone from a rock to avoid lockdown. The only place they can really have no space to roll is on a tiny chunk of ground in the air, in which case it's largely a worse rock.

Moves to get the spacing for the grab are pretty mandatory when even if the spacing is correct, they will still out-prioritize you with as little as a jab. Uka Uka will not fall into the Kyubey category, thanks.

Some of the moves like the giant wave of rocks and the meteors don't really add that much
What is this "some of"? Name the moves or get out.

The meteors add a large amount of pressure once you're already high in the air and can add to bullet hell while on the ground and you're playing with the laser vision. The rock wave is mostly useful for the Forward Z Smash tornados shooting them out in a spray for bullet hell, and can become a long-term part of the set-up with it getting re-launched over and over. The bullet hell isn't really elaborated much in the summary/writing style, but it's a large part of the playground aspects and shines in the boss mode.

The innate nature of the grab will usually send the foe falling further down, which is a bit counter-intuitive when you consider Uka Uka's trying to move them higher into the air
Why would you sit and do nothing with the foe grabbed? You have access to their jumps. Once they're done with, use a throw before you lose height. Uthrow is obviously the main one for actually getting them into the air, and as mentioned in the playstyle summary you can use all of your set-up as stepping stones for a mind controlled foe, which doubles as something to bounce off of for uthrow.

Top Bottom