• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucario Video and Critique Thread

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
That was an online match. I saved the matches when I was actually able to play, during some of the matches I wasn't able to catch him at all.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Think about why you are doing certain moves over others and why you made those choices more. You seem to have the same problem I do where you use a move, but the intent with it may or may not be there.

You did things like Fsmash when he wasn't anywhere near you.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou. When I know my opponent is much better than me, I have a habit of throwing out certain moves, even if they don't help me at all. Its less bad with lucario, because when im nervous as metaknight, I spam his up special and glide to the middle of the stage which is very punishable.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Try and think more when you use a move is pretty much it, just practicing it with your head, also don't take Wario to Delfino.

TheFlow

Smash Rookie
NNID
Flowmed
Hi ! If i post here, its because i have a friend, that mains lucario, he got a nice one, and since he does not speak english, he told me to post here for him (he will check the answers).

Soo he is a lucario mainer from france, and he losed against a :diddy: player on a grand final, and he needs help a little help on facing diddy kong.

Here the vid : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx0kN5sJamk

And thanks ! :)

Twilcario

Smash Rookie
Hooray for first post on my account. \owo/

So ya, very new to brawl. I found out about a local league about mmm...A month before a major tournament. I entered and...I don't think I did TOO badly. ^^; In pools I was 2-1 and I went 0-2 in the tournament overall, but only one of my matches was a total blow out with most being very close 1-2 sets.

First Match, VS Falco (rounds 1 and 2) and Ike (round 3)

Second match, VS Pit

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
You insanely overuse Force-Palm. Just stop it...please. I don't think you're doing it because you're messing up B-reversals or wavebounces, you just throw it out like its as safe as a forward-smash. You take heavy punishment for it every single time, and it really hurt your game in every round.

The only times I ever use FP is if I'm playing against an opponent who has trouble getting out of the chain grab early, or I can land a Fair->landing FP (grab comes out on frame 1, research it a little). Force-Palm is only a good kill move if both you AND your opponent are at high percents, and even then, there are usually many more safe and reliable options.

If you want to land the chain grab, fish for it early in your opponent's stock and be patient. Once you take too much damage without landing it, stop trying because its no longer worth it. You can't get the chaingrab reliably on your opponents once they're past like 30%, so fishing for it at 70% is pointless as well.

Add more aerial combos to your game. You're good with neutral-air but try to use it more frequently as an adjunct to a successful forward-air. Approach with Fair, follow through with Nair, autocancel it on the ground, and then add a Dash attack or F-tilt. Small strings like that are easy to land and pretty basic to master. I'm not saying you never do this, but don't be afraid to rely on it more instead of ground game. Stop landing with Fair, you have a lot of landing lag and you get punished for it. Even if you don't hit with it, always Nair before you hit the ground rather than Fair.

Practice this kind of thing in training mode against a lvl9 CPU set to "Stop": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycTwKnv9Y64 (1:47-2:00)
Implement this sort of strategy into your edge-guarding game, a lot of the time vs Ike you just watched him swim in the water instead of taking advantage and dealing free hits. Against Falco, you just waited for him to recover without so much as charging or firing an aura sphere.

Move around more. Rolling isn't the only way to travel about the stage. You can walk, dash, pivot, short-hop -> fast-fall, and much more. Rolling makes you predictable and doesn't set you up for the spacing you need on most attacks.

DI to survive. When launched, just use your C-stick to forward-air, and stop your momentum by aiming towards the upper corners of the stage with your control-stick. STOP USING YOUR DOUBLE-JUMP when you get launched. SAVE IT for when you get closer to the stage, otherwise you'll be forced to use Extreemspeed every time.

You need to be WAY more creative with your Aura Sphere. Charge it more frequently, fire it with more variety, and use it to guard opponents from reaching the edge. Jump and fire it near a falling opponent and then run up to punish their air-dodge. Fire it on the ground to make your opponent shield/spot-dodge and then approach from the air with a Fair->Dair combo. Mix it up and you'll be pleased with the results.

Overall, pretty decent sets. Don't be discouraged from going to more tournaments.

Twilcario

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the tips on FP. I wasn't sure at what percentages it still allowed for chain grabs, so I kept trying to get Falco in it because I knew he fell pretty fast. I'll be sure to work on my air game and combos more in training mode. I actually, unfortunately, realized the very thing about rolling last night. Someone I was playing against kept punishing my rolls with charged smashes. <w>

The problems with aurasphering I kept having was that one of my friends has made me so nervous about throwing it out against people with reflectors (the guy that played as pit in the second video). He'd always manage to reflect it back at me, so I started trying to only use it when it was "safe". I will work on trying to throw it out more though.

Thanks for the tips. :3 And I do plan on keeping on playing and learning.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
@ The Flow
Great lucario. I can't give much advice on the falco MU. All the Falcos I play abusive Falco's grab game a lot more. You also used jab jab force palm a lot. It is alright but you kinda ruined FPs killing potential. You could have don jab to regular grab and got some pummels refreshing your moves and giving yourself more options. Other than that you seemed to do fine vs. Falco. Also I like the upair stuff you were doing out of his jabs. You can try FP also because it is a easy set-up to get <frame 8 FP.

Vs. Diddy you just need more bannaer control and the ability to read what diddy is going to predict after you slip. Don't forget that get-up is our fastest option and I always recalled seeing you rolling left or right. You can also wait if you know diddy is going to make the hard read.

@Twil

Listen to red ryu. He has the right idea. Also read the notes I wrote to The Flow they might help you. It has been a few months since I last played ryker in tournament, but I feel like he plays a lot differently. Although it does seem like he has a hard time punishing the roll so I will seriously consider that the next time I play him. Just bee keen to when he start punishing the roll.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
if fox DA's your shield... just grab it. it's really unsafe.
I guess I just need to learn the spacing, but sometimes the DA goes behind me and I commit the grab in the wrong direction.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Your too sporadic when your under pressure, I feel like you are trying to react but too it too quick or on a twitch so you react with a move you really shouldn't, I saw some Usmash and Nair that were used too quickly here, even if you slowed down a little, you could have punished the Falco and gotten some legit hits, also replace Usmash with Utilt at some points. You miss key punishes that imo, should have been kills if you reacted better and slowed down just a tad.

Watch your Breversals, your doing it at times where it is not ok nor appropriate to throw those out. It is a mix-up but if he knows you like to use it a lot he sees a pattern and it makes you more readable. The Falco was not capitalizing on this, but other players will. I like the potential mix-ups you do, this is good, but I think you need to lessen on it a bit more.

When you are up close for a punish, don't Fsmash, Jab/grab/Dtilt/Utilt/Force Palm are much better options when you are that close. Fmash has a long start up use something that is faster like the options above.

Fair to Aura Sphere was pretty clutch not gonna lie.

DI Falco's Dthrow away, he shouldn't be able to grab you 4 times even with he slight slant like he did.

I'll check more later holidays suck atm :<.

0mart

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mr.0mart
Pretty Thanks Red Ryu .. After watching videos of my Luc playing , i realize now that I try to hard to read and React to them and keep getting punished :c .... I will try to slow a bit more and use Less Usmash and Introduce Dtilt to my game :D again , thanks .... I will be uploading more videos :p

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Can I try and critic the next video?

Also can someone correct me if I'm wrong? I really want to help out and boost my Lucario knowledge.
You should Critque my video. For some reason I just got totally ignored. :(

Also go ahead and critique omart's video if you have anything of note to say. Even if you contradict with red ryu is saying it may lead to a healthy discussion which would help boost everyone's knowledge of lucario.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
Can I try and critic the next video?

Also can someone correct me if I'm wrong? I really want to help out and boost my Lucario knowledge.
Goes without saying, buddy. Everyone's input is valuable, and the people who post here would like nothing better than for more critiques to be written.

It's all of our jobs to provide some sort of point of view, as well as to make sure that all the advice given is accurate to a factual degree.

Edit: After you check out Hichez' video, feel free to check out any of the ones on my channel whenever you want.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DrSouss117?feature=mhee

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Ok, I'll watch hichez50 video and update this post. :)

VS Fox

0:12- I didn't feel that was the best approach, it looked to obvious that you intended to grab. Maybe Bair or Fair approach would of been safer. The Upthrow chain on Fox is pretty cool but I wouldn't make that kind of approach.

0:16- I assume from that you tried to grab him again. When I was learning the ropes I was told to try something else because using. attempting the same tactic can become predictable and it can be punished like that Dthrow Fox did on you.

0:18- I would of punished that with a Dair as soon as he was under you. Since you can use at anytime during that forward/back flip animation. I noticed you used it just after the 18 sec mark so I'm guessing that was a late reaction.

0:24- I would of used a Utilt instead seeing as the hitbox comes out faster and you could string Utilt a few more times.

0:43- Nice work on punishing that dash attack.

0:45- Good job on canceling that jab.

1:07-1:23- Nice edge game despite Fox choosing to continue that fight by throwing you back of the stage and great edgaurd

1:27- You shield for a bit there. I saw the perfect chance to grab, why didn't you grab? Costed you a stock there.

1:56- Nice string but I would of went for an Fair instead of a grab.

2:41- Curved out of panic?

2:53- Liked how you canceled that SideB.

3:10- Nice Fsmash.

3:14- Great read with that Dsmash.

3:21- Nice spotdodge and Utilt.

4:01- What was with the Side B?

4:02- Good punish on that Dash

4:16-4:18- Good string, you tried that grab again an it worked. Fox was at a lower % too so maybe only try that grab when is has % percent.

4:19- Nice follow up with B air but to bad fox was to high.

4:21- I would of used Fsmash there.

4:24- Good punish on that Usmash

Overall gg. I didn't feel you abused Fox's fast fall at low % enough. It might just be me but I like to be a lot more airborne that that when playing Fox.

VS Falco (I'll get to that soon, this took longer then I thought)

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
@ Omart

@~2:45 I would have tried to get that fsmash to go through the tree. You would have gotten the kill if you did. And you can't really kill falco while you are at 6%. There was also no way for him to follow up.

Train yourself to always side-B if you see 2 jabs from falco. It is a free punish. Fair > AS is way too good.

Overall good games. The match-up is hard. To beat falco we have to over rely on aura or just killer reads. Falco is obviously most vulnerable to getting read when he is off stage, and I felt you didn't do enough to exploit that. Once you have falco off stage it is almost always best to try to hit with sour spot fair. You don't want to send falco upward.

One last good thing that Trela uses in his game is when he gets sent high he use a reverse-B to change directions to his back is facing the stage. Then he has access to the huge hitbox that is called bair. I have started using this more and more and it is quire handy.

Hope this helps and have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

I'll probably will try to get a few serious friendlies/MM on youtube withing the next week or two.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Buy the buy people who are on the panel should not be making that stuff public, nothing is official til the chart comes out.

:phone:

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Buy the buy people who are on the panel should not be making that stuff public, nothing is official til the chart comes out.

:phone:
The idea of the panel is kinda silly. Yes I believe that there should be moderated chat between well respected members of the smash community. But why is it shielded from the rest of the community? There legitimate strategies and theory crafting going on that only a few select members get to see. Popular characters like Mk have almost no activity( at least when I saw it) while some lesser characters that ussally don't have a lot of meaningful meta game discussion have intricate debates. Everything thing I have seen is fair opinions. Plus I didn't put words into your mouth or anything. I will/have edit/ed my post.

IMO something just seems off.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
The main things are this:

Stop Fsmashing when you're in their face or when they're right in front of you. If you aren't stutterstepping your fsmashes, then you're doing it wrong. Which I didn't see you do at all.

Stop giving your opponent so much space when they're on the ledge. When they're on the ledge, we have so many options to cover them. The only thing he could've done in terms of attack is throw eggs which you should see a mile away.

When the opponent is on the ledge, you want to be in fsmash range. This range lets you hit them with Fsmash or you can predict and hit them with an Uair or just charging an Aura Sphere.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
The main things are this:

Stop Fsmashing when you're in their face or when they're right in front of you. If you aren't stutterstepping your fsmashes, then you're doing it wrong. Which I didn't see you do at all.

Stop giving your opponent so much space when they're on the ledge. When they're on the ledge, we have so many options to cover them. The only thing he could've done in terms of attack is throw eggs which you should see a mile away.

When the opponent is on the ledge, you want to be in fsmash range. This range lets you hit them with Fsmash or you can predict and hit them with an Uair or just charging an Aura Sphere.
Hey thanks for that, I will take that in. I'm still new to the Yoshi MU.

elrelster

Smash Cadet
Dang, I gotta say you are technically very good. Actually, generally, you are very good. Its hard for me, at least to critique this cuz you won these matches, but I'll try.

There are pretty much 2 things that I feel that need attention here. The first being your charging of the aura sphere. It is very good that you charge whenever you get the chance, but at 1:02, you get caught in a psuedo frame-trap because you didn't stop the charge early enough. If I were you, I would be more wary about the spacing needed for certain characters while charging your sphere, especially while in air, and off the ledge.

The second is the use of your bair. I feel it went rather underused throughout the match. I understand it has some landing lag, but you should take advantage of the disjointed hitbox and the strong horizontal knockback it has when fastfalled onto someone. You had very good use of your fair and nair, but a bair or two could have done the trick, given how fresh it was. I recommend playing some casual matches with the forced mindset of throwing in some bairs and varying the pace; when spaced well, it is a powerful weapon. That's just to help you incorporate it into your game.

Still, you are a very good lucario, and if anyone feels I made a mistake in my analysis, feel free to call me out. You are a much better lucario then me, lol.

To prove that last statement to you, could any of you guys critique my playstyle? It's a best of five with my buddy (marth), the first vid being the first 3 rounds and the first life of the fourth, and the second vid being the rest of the fourth round.

http://youtu.be/s2gVMV_pYtQ
http://youtu.be/JSdN_cuEZhI

LucarioMaster

Smash Apprentice
Thank you so much for critic , look my MM Vs nives or other i usually use Bair , i don't use Bair vs Hoejja because i just hate Bair in the DDD's Match Up, it's easy for DDD to punish our Bair , but thanks again
If you want critic now this for see more Bair xD (especially on FD , second match)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpyTGtCP5k4
I will critic your Lucario on a Youtube commentaire man :)

elrelster

Smash Cadet
Its really tough for me to critique your vid, seeing as your better then me, breh :). I think I was the one learning this time. It would probably help you more if someone else were to comment on it. However, I did notice that you did use your bair well. I can say that you seem to know when your bair is a viable tool, depending on the matchup. Good stuff.

Top Bottom