• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Social Thread

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
nuh-uh cause has has a DACUS now
also RBRing lasers it too good
don't forget to RAR bair for major usefulness
and RAR nair/dair for major flashines
Also he can JC turnaround shines earlier now, with the same timing as a regular shine, so that's neat too I guess, like he really needed any buffs lol
Also edge canceling phantasm now makes you slide off the edge rather than stop at the edge in the teeter position, which I don't like because less options ;( but am assuming it's just a problem with SCD

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Falco's brawl techs such as DACUS, Gatling Combo, boost pivot grab, RAR, IAP, and his extended brawl phantasm have been added to his already near perfect melee moveset. Also, the controller input button lag has been negated and KB stacking has been properly administered. Coming from someone who plays both games competitively, Falco is AMAZING now.:)

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
What the **** is a gatling combo? Is that another one of those brawl names brawl players come up with because they don't have enough significant things to name? All of his moves work a la melee so I can't imagine him possibly having any brawl unique combos carry over anways....

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Gatling combo = dash attack cancelled up smah, but unlike dacus, you actually hit the opponent with the dash attack first before you usmash. It still cancels.

:phone:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Oh so that's what that's called, most commonly seen with Falco right? MattDotZeb was trying to ask SB if that was in but SB just kept thinking it was a DACUS while I told him no it's different. How many characters have a good one or whatever besides Falco [In Brawl]?

t3chn0g0at

Smash Cadet
Gatlings are moves that cancel and combo into other things. Millia in GG, for example, is almost exclusively gatlings.

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
I feel as if someone should start a thread where everyone of falco's tech is explained showing the advantages each one bring's into falco's play (RAR, RBR, everything related to shines, DACUS, Gatling, (reverse) short-hop laser, edge-cancel phantasm, phantasm cancel, shield pressure... to name a few)

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Gatlings not hard, just dash attack and when the hit connects, hold up on the c stick. It's best use is as a mid % damage racker, as you can usually follow up with an aerial.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Where are the Falco's at? Falco is the 1st character that was choice for Sonic MU discussion @ sonic forums.

You guys shoud totally participate.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Just seems to have too much Brawl influence atm. See: Walk around Fsmash and other oddities in his style. He mains Falco in Brawl right? TBH I think he'd be better off not using Falco unless he decides to drop Brawl completely. It's very disorienting to main the same character in multiple games.

Falco also plays entirely different (optimally) in doubles than he does in Singles, so I don't think this is good material if you want advice for him.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Just seems to have too much Brawl influence atm. See: Walk around Fsmash and other oddities in his style. He mains Falco in Brawl right? TBH I think he'd be better off not using Falco unless he decides to drop Brawl completely. It's very disorienting to main the same character in multiple games.

Falco also plays entirely different (optimally) in doubles than he does in Singles, so I don't think this is good material if you want advice for him.
I think he could manage it if he had any Melee/PM practice in years; his disc drive doesn't work, so he can't play PM at his house. It's a shame, really, because he used to do the Falco thing pretty well in Melee.

Also, I didn't realize that Falco played very differently in Teams than in Singles. Ignoring the video, can you elaborate on that?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think he could manage it if he had any Melee/PM practice in years; his disc drive doesn't work, so he can't play PM at his house. It's a shame, really, because he used to do the Falco thing pretty well in Melee.
Does he plan to continue to play Brawl (Falco) competitively, though? It's the switching that's problematic, not just the influence. Switching between Melee Falco and Brawl Falco is hard enough for people like DEHF, but it's even harder when Melee Falco has Brawl Falco's model. Make sense?
Also, I didn't realize that Falco played very differently in Teams than in Singles. Ignoring the video, can you elaborate on that?
It's mostly because of how Falco's moveset collaborates in relation to the dynamics of doubles. His kit is based around 1. free horizontal stage control anywhere forever with his neutral b move and 2. death touching with [insert just about any combination of attacks here and it probably works, preferably starting with move -> shine or just shine] after abusing free horizontal stage control anywhere forever. In doubles, this obviously changes things because there's a much more clearly defined drawback to his stage control in that it can exert itself on his partner. Of course, this affects every character, but due to the nature of his control and how his kit is designed so strongly around it, it has a much more debilitating affect on his overall potency compared to singles. Death-touching is also less prevalent in doubles because they have a partner and there's a lot of switching match-ups, cluster****s, and other sorts of interaction going on.

However, again like other characters, there are aspects of Falco that are less relevant in singles and fantastic in doubles. For example, with the added option coverage having a partner brings, you can often force or threaten a mid-percent Dair KO/edgeguard setup even during a standard 2v2 situation with Falco's mobility and Dair's absurdity. Another example is that even though he's typically not a walling character, in some formations he can wall out a character with a laser or two (or his Bair, which is amazingly good at walling) while his teammate edgeguards/combos, or waits for Falco to come and finish with a Dair, leaving them unable to save their partner. He can also "wall" with just his Dash Dance (which he should be doing far more than in singles btw) coupled with the threat/option of doing the aforementioned things, by influencing the opponent(s) play to be sub-optimal. And even though he traditionally doesn't have a particularly great throw game, his (landing a) grab game is one of the best, and grabs are crucial in doubles. Plenty of examples, I could go on. They generally require creative/critical thinking which is something that your average Melee Falco player tends to lack, but you get the picture.

Anyway, yeah. With most characters you can pretty much play singles with some ~universal changes like holding a grabbed char more often instead of throwing them for team combos, teammate awareness AKA Spidey Sense, sandwiching and other common tactics, etc., all stuff you and Kismet should know from your years of experience in Smash. With Falco, playing singles within doubles is actually a pretty terrible idea (laser spam even when intelligent is generally problematic in Doubles) and is why Falco is known for "sucking" in doubles even though he's quite above average. Although in just about all cases a Falco player can probably just pick Fox and do more for his team than he can with Falco. They both accomplish similar goals in low% kills, damage building, mobility, landing grabs, and applying pressure, it just so happens that in doubles Fox is either on par with or better than Falco in those categories.

If you want some more Falco team theory/strategy, I suggest you & Kismet read this post by Dr Peepee. His teams Falco is probably the best around and he's got a sharp analytic mind to boot, so this is yummy information. This one too.

Feel free to hit me up on Facebook or just respond here for more thoughts. I might be pretty busy until after APEX though, so be patient =P

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
so, where is the how-to-falco thread at?

I feel like every char in P:M needs a simple technique guide that allows players to use their chars at the fullest.

I'm getting annoyed by how often I'm reading something and go "wow, i didn't know that" even if it's something virtually useless

I think it's because how P:M sometimes merges melee's and vBrawl's techniques into the characters so players that didn't play the other installment don't know what's new now (on top of P:M adding a few techniques to the game)

vBrawl players don't know about wavedash and melee don't know about DACUS

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
If you want to play P:M Falco and you're coming from brawl, or you just don't know how to play Falco, then you should just check the Melee Falco board. There's already years of useful info over there, and for many reasons it'd be dumb to try and bring it all over to this board.

Melee Falco fundamentals can take you very far, and the brawl techs are just small things that you can add to your gameplay for more depth.

If anything, you should talk about the 500 new matchups you gotta know in P:M lol.

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
Hey guys! Just thought I'd post some food for thought.

So falco can change his forward-B direction at the startup animation of phantasm. You can see it during regular gameplay and it gets pretty obvious at 1/4 speed.

What this means is it potentially makes phantasm stalling at the ledge REALLY easy, because instead of having to input "back -> forward b" and having the potential for the forward-B input be late, you can instead do "back b -> forward" and not risk the phantasm coming out too late.

That being said, there are times on stages like BF and FD where even though I'm doing this method of phantasm stalling, I still suicide. For clarification, I'm pretty darn good at doing the phantasm stall in melee where you can't exploit this mechanic, so my inability to do it on certain stages in project:M isn't due to a lack of tech skill.

Just wondering if anyone else has played around with this. Thanks!

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
brawl techs are just small things that you can add to your gameplay for more depth.
That's not true.

Some characters can take a HUGE advantage of the new techniques that weren't in melee that greatly improve their gameplay... like DACUS (more so on Lucas or Ganondorf)

What I'm trying to say is that as a long-time melee player im sometimes lost when it comes to the new mechanics almost every attack was given, such as b-reversal, edge-cancel, wall jumps, etc. and if listed it must have a brief description on situations they come in-handy. Pretty much like the "Terms and Concepts" sticky, but instead taking a keen look at each of the character's moves.

Seriously guys how is anyone supposed to learn this game if this information isn't posted anywhere?
And it's not like there's a changelog for new versions either.

Who cares about the MUs if you don't fully know how to play your character? Imagine someone not knowing Fox can JC out of shine: even if he has completely mastered all the timings and combos his fox wouldn't be half as good as it should be, it's because balance in this game is so good that every tech skill adds level to your character and the tier lists are written taking everyone of them in consideration.

So pretty please, with sugar on top, explain every of falco's advanced technique to new comers

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
How2play Falco: La(Shine Dair Shine Dair Shine Dair Shine Dair F-smash/Bair)sers

lol. Anyway, does anyone else feel like Falco PM feels a little off? Maybe it's because I haven't played enough of 2.5 but...

Ace55

Smash Lord
What I'm trying to say is that as a long-time melee player im sometimes lost when it comes to the new mechanics almost every attack was given, such as b-reversal, edge-cancel, wall jumps, etc. and if listed it must have a brief description on situations they come in-handy.
As a long time melee player you should know these things were in melee...

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
As a long time melee player you should know these things were in melee...
While P:M kept these features they can now be used in a lot more scenarios (side-b edge cancel or mario's new up-b wall-jump)

I think the only thing falco can edge cancel in melee is up-b
And wall jumps in melee are not nearly as viable as they're in P:M

Ace55

Smash Lord
While P:M kept these features they can now be used in a lot more scenarios (side-b edge cancel or mario's new up-b wall-jump)

I think the only thing falco can edge cancel in melee is up-b
And wall jumps in melee are not nearly as viable as they're in P:M
You can edgecancel every aerial + side-b in melee. Up-b doesn't have landing lag in the first place.

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
You can edgecancel every aerial + side-b in melee. Up-b doesn't have landing lag in the first place.
Sorry i mean't grabbing on to the ledge after/while performing a special move.
Falco would die if his phantom let him of the stage at melee, but in P:M he grabs on to the edge.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Sorry i mean't grabbing on to the ledge after/while performing a special move.
Falco would die if his phantom let him of the stage at melee, but in P:M he grabs on to the edge.
Ah reverse ledgegrabbing. Yeah that could actually be really useful for edgehogging.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Even falco and fox gained something in the game transition. Evidence that P:M is/will be the superior game once it's finished. Although finished implies not only all characters have been added and decently balanced but also that all negatively game-affecting engine mechanics and physics flaws/differences have been resolved.

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
I remember mango being pissed when trying P:M for the first time because he couldn't multishine with fox.
Turns out you can't JC -> shine in P:M
thank god i was truly unable to do that and i feel better now that i don't have to do it

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
What are you talking about lol of course you can JC shine. The reason it was hard for mango was because of the input lag, which is fixed now.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
i multi shine with falco in pm like a bossu.

falco is my go-to character for laming bowser and peach players.

Top Bottom