• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Retire

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Based on Armada's recent comments I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that he'll eventually be back... He just needs some time away from the game. Nearly impossible for us to gauge exactly how long (6 months, 1 year, 2+ years?), but he'll definitely be back.

Many of us will eagerly await your return Armada! :)

Sheck

Smash Cadet
Good idea man, quit while you're ahead. 2 Apexes in a row, damn...Plus, it can't be that much fun to fly to the States all the time for majors.

CorteX

Smash Cadet
This thread made me happy I was actually able to play you once.
Don't think anyone JV4stocked me before twice in a row while sandbagging.
Maybe in the future the metagame evolves to a point where people get so insanely good that you will have more competition (no offense to anyone before I get flamed) to re-ignite this fire you speak of.
I don't know if that's part of the reason you're retiring, but I can understand that things get dull when you've proven yourself over and over again and there isn't much left to gain.
Thanks for visiting Holland, and thanks for showing USA that Europe is a force not to be reckoned with. Good luck and who knows what might happen in the future.

Peace out.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
Awww. Armada was not only the champion, but also the most important player to the competitive top metagame. His character choice caused so much upset that so many players were developing esoteric anti-Armada strategies.

Without Armada, Young Link would have probably never won Grand Finals at APEX, we'll probably never see Hbox's Ness nor PP's Marth among other unforgettable matchups against Taj, Axe, and Mango. We probably won't have the warmth brought by pointless USA chants anymore.

It's only sad that Armada won't be attending Melee's EVO comeback nor finishing a Genesis trilogy. Just when I thought 2013 would be the most exciting year for Melee... it won't be the same without him. I do have to thank Armada for being integral in the most exciting events that kept a guy like me glued to his computer screen watching streams for multiple weekends.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
leffen:
I think it's better to announce the retirement, even if it's temporary, rather than just not go to tournaments and cause lots of confusion.
I mean, he is the top player so people are going to notice and care.
Maybe he shouldn't call it "retirement" yet though. "Taking a break" would be better, and then see what happens next.

Armada:
Just don't think about smash for a while. If you do, and keep reminding yourself that you're retiring, you will keep the "fire" away anyway.
Also, taking a break might even be a good thing IF you come back. Often when you push yourself hard to perform well, you limit yourself to one way of thinking. When I played the piano, it was useful to practise the **** out of a part, then not play it for a month, and then suddenly you're much better at it than before.
qft this entire post. i agree with everything.

you never know, the fire might come back. my entire life ive worked in a way that ive had special, very specific interests that i would burn for intensly. i would obsess over these things and get very good at them, but eventually the fire would go away, often as a result of pushing myself to hard and having to high demands on myself. but for some of these interests the fire has returned. it might for armada aswell someday.

i really respect, and above all, understand armadas decision. even though it makes me a bit sad.
the thing that makes the most happy is that ill never stop having fun at tournies, smashfests and trips with bulbasaur <3

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I was looking forward to seeing you at EVO :/
Too bad I never got to play against you either, wouldn't have minded learning how far behind I was through getting 4 stocked a couple times...

UGS.Android

Smash Cadet
leffen:
I think it's better to announce the retirement, even if it's temporary, rather than just not go to tournaments and cause lots of confusion.
I mean, he is the top player so people are going to notice and care.
Maybe he shouldn't call it "retirement" yet though. "Taking a break" would be better, and then see what happens next.

Armada:
Just don't think about smash for a while. If you do, and keep reminding yourself that you're retiring, you will keep the "fire" away anyway.
Also, taking a break might even be a good thing IF you come back. Often when you push yourself hard to perform well, you limit yourself to one way of thinking. When I played the piano, it was useful to practise the **** out of a part, then not play it for a month, and then suddenly you're much better at it than before.

I think you have right :)

joY

Pot splitter
Ahhhh but Evo!!!

Anyways, you're the best!

Also, this is the best news Hungrybox has ever gotten.

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
Ahhhh but Evo!!!

Anyways, you're the best!

Also, this is the best news Hungrybox has ever gotten.
why would hbox be happy about this, i'd imagine he'd be really disappointed to not have any more chances to beat armada in tournament lol

ivootjes(nr18)

Smash Lord
Because of this thread I just rewatched my favorite Armada vid! :troll:

Thanks Armada, for the games we've had and the entertainment on the countless livestreams i've watched. :)

Respect

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Armada if I'm being honest I'm not ok with you leaving. But I must say that you have been absolute entertainer. I can think of more than once I was sad or frustrated and watching your videos made me smile. I wouldn't be as into the smash community if it weren't for you. So good luck with everything man. You rock.

Dulren

Smash Cadet
Armada, you are an excellent competitor and a true champion. Had to give respect to one of the most dominant melee players of all time. Not since Ken has a player single-handedly forged a character's meta game like you have. props dude and good luck with whatever else may come in your life! I'm sure that if you take the drive you have demonstrated in melee, you'll succeed in life.

:phone:

Shimesaba

Smash Apprentice
Not since Ken has a player single-handedly forged a character's meta game like you have.
This is an insult to Armada imo. I don't have any trouble believing M2K when he says that Ken ripped off his tech.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
I rooted against Armada, but I can't deny how friggin' amazing he is. Became best in the world with Peach of all characters and did **** no one had seen before and still can't fully replicate to this day. Sucks though, I think Genesis 3 would have been the best farewell tournament Armada could've gotten.

Honestly just hope another player can come along to match Armada's legacy, in both pushing a character's metagame to the absolute limits and dominating the tournament scene to such a huge degree.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
I think this is pretty silly...

You're saying you lost the fire???

LMAOOO hard to believe considering you have super close sets with all the top players

and dropping sets to kevin and his ****TY marth

( ***** that ****ty marth in friendlies ) ( LMAOAOA )

When I lost my fire it was after traveling to tourneys in every region and winning without people taking games off of me for like 2 years.. and when the game was dying.

You've only actually won 4 tourneys since you've been on top ( in America ) ( Europe don't count they blow )

And you wont even play me when we set up a fund for me to go to Sweden and after every already had donated and after we had talked about it like 6 months ago or something.

our community is so small so one of our top players retiring is a super big deal...

And to retire when were gonna possibly gonna make evo ? AND G3 was just announced .

that's like what we've always wanted.. we even got a bunch of viewers at apex.. Melees on the comeback dude

The thing I learned a while back is that we play for something bigger then us.

I think its super duper lame to retire at THIS MOMENT

but yeah its ur call

I think at the least you could give the community 1 more armada mango set

on ur home turf

d00d

Voltz

Smash Journeyman

LMAOOO hard to believe considering you have super close sets with all the top players

When I lost my fire it was after traveling to tourneys in every region and winning without people taking games off of me for like 2 years.. and when the game was dying.

You've only actually won 4 tourneys since you've been on top ( in America ) ( Europe don't count they blow )

And you wont even play me when we set up a fund for me to go to Sweden and after every already had donated and after we had talked about it like 6 months ago or something.

our community is so small so one of our top players retiring is a super big deal...

And to retire when were gonna possibly gonna make evo ? AND G3 was just announced .

that's like what we've always wanted.. we even got a bunch of viewers at apex.. Melees on the comeback dude

but yeah its ur call

on ur home turf

d00d
Epic speech. :)

:phone:

SwiftBass

Smash Hero

but yeah its ur call

on ur home turf

d00d

ummm

yeahhh...

pound3

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
goddamn mangos post is so ****ing stupid
you wouldn't have won so much in flopmerica if armada lived there and armada wouldve won a million tournaments there if he lived there (or had just attended as many as a flopmerican could)

Xelyst

-_-

Melees on the comeback dude

d00d
pretty much

Top Bottom