• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm currently a high school senior, which is doubly exciting for me, considering I'll be living in a Midwestern college town, hopefully full of Smash and/or K. Rool fans, when SSB4 is released.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
^^

I know those feels, it rolls through my head all the time when Smash games are on the horizon. The Brawl days, man. That might be because I tunnel vision hardcore for Smash games, but yeah...

I was thinking of doing a bit of analysis into K. Rool's character as recently as he's appeared, and stuff related to him in general as part of my own like...stuff about the character.

Basically I want to put all the pieces together in a research post, that's going to have alot of positives and negatives, and hopefully there'd be some interest in having that, because I think there's a couple points, both good and bad that might not've been touched on by this already extensive-*** thread.

I could do a blog, but it's relevant to this thread, so I think I'll post it here.

Edit: Oh! Back in the Brawl days with "Kremling Power" we had a SWEET mini-banner to go in sigs, do we have any artists who would be able to do something like that for the KRKKTs?

Edit 2: On second thought, I've decided just to start a discussion, without trying to bring anything down. It's got nothing to do with K. Rool, especially considering how Sakurai often thinks. Oh, and I'm going to go on a bit of a rant here, prepare yourselves.

However, I was wondering today about the takedown of DKC 1-3 on the VC. It's a really puzzling thing, unless it has to do with copyrights or re-licencing for the release of the WIi U VC. I actually called up a NoA rep and they had no idea why these "high-profile games" had been taken down, but sources also tell me the DKC trilogy has been taken down once before, and came back up. The rep said the same thing. (He was actually very friendly and helpful, a nice surprise.) But it doesn't make sense, if it's not a reason other than that.

I don't believe that Miyamoto "hates" Rare, DKC or the Kremlings, as he himself is quoted to have worked with Rare day and night for the first game. In addition, when Retro asked him what characters to keep, he asked for Cranky specifically. He however did *not* say don't include the Kremlings, Retro just...did Retro things, and maybe it was *they* who didn't like them. I also doubt that Miyamoto is the kind of person to stop DKC or the Kremlings from existing everywhere. Or that he has that kind of influence, especially now.

Besides, they were included (there was even a subplot with them) in Super Sluggers (that's the whole reason I bought the game, I ain't even gonna lie.) just fine, including a new getup. That's a GREAT callback to the fans. I expect them to return, once a developer that actuallly *likes* the Kremlings and views them as an integral part of DK's universe (Like Sakurai, or Camelot, or someone new). Most of this is born from all the "not-knowing" and my intense dislike of...not having Kremlings, but seriously.

At least I know that they're going to be given, at the very, VERY least, a nod similar to the ones they've had in previous Smash games. Sakurai's not an idiot, and ignoring almost 20 years of DKC history isn't smart. If they did that, the only content they'd have for DK stages is based around the arcade games and returns. Considering the sheer number of trophies DK got in the last game (No, seriously. Every Kremling for Barrel Blast and before was there, even Striker Kritter. LANKY was there!), I don't think there's any WAY they can be ignored.

And that the most ranty, confusing thing I've said all day, but I had to get it off my mind.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
To be quite honest, I think K. Rool has been the victim of an unpleasant streak of bad luck. During the Gamecube era, he's cast out alongside all of Rare's other original characters, just because the Jungle Beat developers didn't find them "fresh enough" for audiences. Then, during Returns' development, Retro decides to design everything from scratch as well, only including the old characters Miyamoto singled out as definite inclusions. I think this is indication enough that Miyamoto does hold significant influence over the franchises, but we have no reason to think he's on some anti-Kremling crusade, or that he ever -has- been on one. Not when they've been in all of the more minor Paon DK games, and especially not when they've been in games where they, quite honestly, have no reason to appear, such as in Strikers or Sluggers spin-offs.

And yet, we will still get posts like this one below, twisting or falsifying Miyamoto's statements for anti-K. Rool purposes. We'll just have to be prepared to shoot them down once they begin flooding in post-E3.

GameFAQs user Gohansephiroth said:
I generally dont like the character and never have, ive made that clear many times so ill admit im clearly bias against his inclusion lol. I think miyamoto's influence might be a little heavier than most think, based on all the growing pains DK went through around the gamecube era it felt like they were trying to find something for him that would move away from what rare created. We all know in an interview way back when that he didnt care for what rare did to dk (hes since gone back and apologized for that, but come on the first reaction is usually what people really feel about something). Since none of those other ideas took they went back to what worked and created the DKC game they wanted, minus all the fat they didnt care for. I think Krool had his best chances before, sure he could be brought in and they could do plenty with him, but if they have no intention of making him part of nintendo/DK's future and not just their past why would they bring him in? The creators of those games definitely have a say so when it comes to whats represented and how their characters are presented in smash bros. DK really only had recent and very little DKC stuff represented last time, DKJB, DKJC, original DK, and the horrendous barrel blast, and im willing to bet this time around DKCR will take center stage.

Im not saying he has no chance because nobody knows, but i do not think his chances are anywhere near the top contenders.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK64 styled Kremlings where in Mario Power Tennis, I thought that that was extremely Nice.

:phone:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, which is why I like Camelot so much, and Sakurai has now designed two stages that involved Klaptraps and DKC atmosphere. Also a nice touch.

One thing I realized that made me feel alot better about the whole DKCR thing, is that Retro tends to remake their own games from the ground up.

The only recurring element I can think of in Metroid Prime apart from Samus' weapons (Which DKCR had) is Ridley, primarily. They seem to think less of the fanbases they're appealing to, and more of general nostalgia, but like to make their own stories.

Honestly, if they combined forces with Camelot and/or Paon, they could make the best of all of those. It's a pipe dream, but a great one.

Sakurai has also never left these major DKC elements out of Smash games. (EVERY SINGLE named Kremling (just about, sorry Kudge) appeared in Brawl as a trophy or otherwise. So did all animal buddies except Rattly and Ellie (Not counting Clapper)

And you bring up a good point about the Gamecube era being K.Rool-ess. And even Dixie-less.

Honestly, Dixie and K. Rool have appeared the exact same amount in the past few years.

I don't think Sakurai will steer us wrong.

Edit: Hooray! I noticed we're recruiting for banners now! Go me! :cool:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It was probably Camelot's not-so-subtle way of hinting that they'd like to work on a sequel to DK64, which they've stated before.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mario Power Tennis came out first on Gamecube though. I think they've made that statement after the Wii version came out.

Watashi

Smash Cadet
I half expect that if K Rool is in the game he'll be the first villian announced. (unless Bowser JR shows up in the debut trailer.)

Also I have question for you guys and gals, do you want K Rool to keep his cartoony voice like in the games, or do you want him to have a realistic voice like Bowser, DK, and Diddy, and which one do you expect to happen.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As long as it fits. Diddy and especially DK never really talk in the games though. Except in Jungle Climber, where Diddy talks. But its acompanied with his regular monkey sounds. K.Rool should have something that fits. Evil laughter is a must however!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Gotta throw in crocodile growls in there for intimidation that's for sure. Aside from that, go with a deep voice in a vein to him in Donkey Kong 64.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As long as he sounds like an insane lunatic, he should be good to go. Don't really expect to hear him talk, but he easily could if they wanted it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
His DK64 voice would be perfect!

I can see him talking as much as Mario. One or two lines.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He should have specific lines for when he beats Donkey Kong like: 'WHAHAHAH! THE BANANA HOARD... IS MINE! WHAHAH! :troll: ' Or something along those lines.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hey, for a while now, I've been hoping to expand the "extras" section of the opening post with a few more stages, assist trophies, remixes, movesets, and whatnot for K. Rool. If anyone has a few minutes to contribute any of these to the thread, they would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a few new remixes from OC Remix's DKC3 "Double the Trouble" album I particularly enjoyed:

Bring the Noise (Big Boss Blues SNES)
Can't Boss Us Around (Robot Anarchists From Hell Mix) [Boss Boogie SNES]
Epic Bananas (Treetop Tumble SNES)
Cliffside Clamber (Rockface Rumble SNES)

Those last two aren't even directly K.Rool-related, but they're epic and majestic pieces regardless, so they're fitting for him anyways. :awesome:
It ain't much, but here's one remix I recently found that really caught my childhoodinterest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSXZUxHHSjU

I think all the ones directly K. Rool-related have pretty much already been posted anyway, so yeah.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
So much work has been put into the King K. Rool support thread, it's really impressive.

The color swaps, especially from Mario_Sonic_Guy, looks awesome. Definitely hoping he makes it into Smash 4.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Golden's SSBC voice preview of K. Rool had him roaring out quips like "Fire!" or "Take this!" Something along those lines would be alright whenever he performs certain attacks, such as firing his blunderbuss.

Raving about the Crystal Coconut would be icing on the cake.

Thanks for the praise, Aaven. If Ridley is indeed confirmed at E3 (and receives his own forum), K. Rool will be left with the largest support thread, so I'm hoping it will stand out as much as possible by then.

EDIT: Along with Ridley_Prime's music, I added an additional counterpoint to the list, since I've seen it pop up a few times. What do you all think of it?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Speaking of K. Rool and Ridley, I made some special dialogue for if the both of them were to be in Wreck It Ralph 2:

King K. Rool: "My name's King K. Rool and I'm a bad guy."
Bad Anon: "Hi King K. Rool!"
King K. Rool: "I am the king of the Kremlin Krew, leader of the Kritters, and master of the krockodiles. We've constantly struggled with those Kongs for territory and those bananas. Those bananas are as valuable as gold and we'd do anything to kapture them. I've dressed as EVERYTHING to take him down from a king to a pirate to a mad scientist to a king again and again and again and lastly a pharaoh. I'm currently undecided on what else should I be to obtain my goals."
Ridley: *roars* (Why would a simple crocodilian like you would want bananas?)
King K. Rool: "I had it with your krap, you winged lizard!"
Ridely: *roars* (I bet that you enjoy K. Rap music if you know what I mean)
King K. Rool: "That's it!" *pulls out Blunderbluss*
Clyde: "Calm down, K. Rool. You wouldn't want to destroy the meeting like Selvaria did last week."
Selvaria: *scoffs*

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I think there might be some other remixes directly pertained to K. Rool I'd be willing to look for later that I'm sure exist.

And that 5th counterpoint? Pretty solid. Short, but straight to the point.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Oh, in case it weren't clear, the new counterpoint is actually #3. The latter two were shifted down to make space for it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh, in case it weren't clear, the new counterpoint is actually #3. The latter two were shifted down to make space for it.

Oh, okay. Well that was still pretty well-put. I find the whole "they had their chance" thing to be the worst of the arguments I've seen, and is at times used against other characters as well.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That new counterpoint is fantastic, and actually keyed me in on the fact that K. Rool's popularity skyrocketed after Returns' release. That's something I hadn't actually thought of until now...

I'd really *love* for him to be revealed in the E3 trailer, even though I still think Ridley will have that spot, but if he were, it would permanently discredit all the impending naysayers, and we can just sit back and geek out about our favorite Kremling Kompadre, with LOTS of speculation!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not sure who they'd show. They both have equal chances, as both Donkey Kong and Samus have been classics in Smash. They could as well show Mario, Link, Samus and DK instead of Kirby and Pikachu. People are expecting this next trailer to be exactly like Brawl's. I really don't.

Also, yeah we could almost argue K.Rool absence from DKC Returns made him even more popular. Returns was a good game in it's own right, but in my opinion doesn't really marked the return of Donkey Kong Country. It's done a good deal right, but there are some key elements missing for sure. Alas, it could only make the next DKC game from Retro much better. So I won't really complain for now. Just hope they'll bring us ANYTHING Donkey Kong related for next E3 though.

Watashi

Smash Cadet
The only reason I think K Rool is more likely to be shown during the E3 trailer then Ridley is because K Rool seems more like Starter, Ridley is more likely to be an unlockable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I see them both as unlockables, so I don't expect either of them really.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Speaking of K. Rool and Ridley, I made some special dialogue for if the both of them were to be in Wreck It Ralph 2:

King K. Rool: "My name's King K. Rool and I'm a bad guy."
Bad Anon: "Hi King K. Rool!"
King K. Rool: "I am the king of the Kremlin Krew, leader of the Kritters, and master of the krockodiles. We've constantly struggled with those Kongs for territory and those bananas. Those bananas are as valuable as gold and we'd do anything to kapture them. I've dressed as EVERYTHING to take him down from a king to a pirate to a mad scientist to a king again and again and again and lastly a pharaoh. I'm currently undecided on what else should I be to obtain my goals."
Ridley: *roars* (Why would a simple crocodilian like you would want bananas?)
King K. Rool: "I had it with your krap, you winged lizard!"
Ridely: *roars* (I bet that you enjoy K. Rap music if you know what I mean)
King K. Rool: "That's it!" *pulls out Blunderbluss*
Clyde: "Calm down, K. Rool. You wouldn't want to destroy the meeting like Selvaria did last week."
Selvaria: *scoffs*
Don't know how I passed over this earlier...it's rather humorous. Even if the two aren't included in the inevitable Wreck-It Ralph sequel, I can see Snake's codec conversation being similar to Ridley's dialogue here.

K. Rool could honestly be a starter or unlockable character, and he'd fit in like a glove...kind of like he fits into Smash in general, funnily enough.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Mewtwo
Ganondorf
Ridley
K.Rool

All as unlockable = sickest most legendary memorable 1st playthrough of the game no doubt just be soo sick!!

4 Sickest chars no doubt if they are in Sm4sh.

(cool this thread has 64 pages DK64!! YHH lool had to say it mention it
)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I made a partial moveset a while back. It only has special moves and a final smash but I thought it was worth posting.

Neutral B: K.Rool takes out his blunderbuss and fires a canonball. This canon ball will send people at an upward angle and will NOT disappear when hit by someone it will continue until it fizzes out or hits a solid object.

Side B: K.Rool will toss his crown like a boomerang. This can be angled similar to Link's Boomerang.

Up B: K.Rool's propeller backpack will appear and he will float upwards. This does not do damage.

Down B: Body Slam: K.Rool will jump in the air and slam the opponent. Similar to Bowser's and Yoshi's except K.Rool will fall at an angle.

Final Smash: K.Rool will stomp on the ground and large canon balls will fall from the sky. Canon balls explode when they hit something.

Images made by Pwnagemaster67, A good friend of mine.

I also made a Codec Call for him.

Snake: "Colonel! There's an alligator with a bloodshot eye."
Colonel: "Careful Snake. That's King K.Rool. The king of the Kremling Krew. They cause all sorts of trouble for the Kongs and he loves every minute of it."
Snake: "He doesn't seem like he's all there."
Colonel: "He's not. It's going to be difficult to fight him Snake. K.Rool is ridiculously strong and constantly uses dirty tactics to fight."
Snake: "I'm sure he won't be too difficult."
Colonel: "Just be wary if the credits pop up unexpectedly during the fight."
Snake: "Credits? Wait... He didn't.... Oh, that's just low..."

Just doing what I can to support the Kutthroats.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Does K. Rool's Bv in this case also cause a shockwave, similar to how it worked in DK64?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It should be so at least. Dunno about that Down B though... It's rather similar to Bowser's, people wouldn't generally like that. But ya, can't think of anything else. That last pic when K.Rool does his Final Smash is pretty good, much better drawn than the other pics. Though it does get the point through. :p

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I always thought his Bv could ALSO be like, an uppercut, although with the strong possibility of Little Mac being in game as well, it would probably be the butt slam. Or they could do something with the invisibility.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, in that regard.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It would have caused a shock wave. Yes.

How was the codec call?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh that one was also awesome, just am not too familiar with Metal Gear, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I loved the codec call!

I also *really* want someone to go through and design "Doc Louis pep talks" for all the characters. I might take a whack at it, but due to Little Mac's near 100% chance of being playable, and Doc Louis' prominence, I sort of expect them to have something similar.

Pit/Palutena as well, to a lesser extent, but *I'm* one of those people that wants playable Palutena, soooo....

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
That codec is just amazing, loved the "credits" part.

Anyway, have we talked about the less relevant things? Like taunts, stage entrance, etc?

The taunt of the DK64 boxing fight is a must in my opinion (with his arms raised and his screams). Im having trouble with the stage entrance though. I dont have any interesting ideas for that.

Top Bottom