• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phoenix Wright: Does he have the Wright stuff?

Fawriel

Smash Master
There are several theories as to why it's called a "sex kick"... you know, those quick kicks where the user goes into a "superawesomekungfuskillz" stance and stays like that for a while. Most of them have to do with hardness.

If you're looking into adjusting some things, maybe this thread could help... yes, it's a shameless plug, but seriously, it COULD help.
Since Phoenix is a pretty fit young man, and since he wears a suit(!), he should be reasonably strong. Of course, he's no Captain Falcon, so his strengths ought to be balanced...
On the other hand, the thread probably wouldn't be much help after all... eh, whatever!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Phoenix
Brawl
- For -

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- STATS AND OTHER STUFF -

STRENGTH: His hits deal a medium amount of damage. Think green (Luigi) on this one.
DEFENSE: At 20%, he starts losing his ground upon strong hits. At 40%, he's flying without recovery for a bit. Something like Mario.
SPEED: At full run, Nick clocks in just below Sheik.
JUMP: Jump height is just between Link and Samus.
GRIP: Nick turns at the same speed as Marth.
WEIGHT: Nick is not a fastfaller, and has about the same flight distance:damage ratio as Samus.

Symbol: Nick's attorney badge.

Kirby Hat: Kirby dons a Phoenix wig!

Alternate Costumes:
1 - Phoenix's normal blue suit.
2 - Miles Edgeworth's regal red outfit.
3 - Nick's white musician outfit. (Seen on the cover of the "Gyakuten Saiban meets Orchestra" music CD)
4 - Pre-attorney Phoenix form GS3, the one with the pink sweater and face-mask.

Item: Luminol Spray - Reveals any and all cloaked enemies, covers the area around motion-sensor bombs with a white mist, and generally makes hiddent things (new items that haven't been revealed yet) not hidden anymore.

Taunt : Nick nervously chuckles, one hand on his hip, the other behind his head. See below. (Of course, it's only one run through.)

Winning Scene1: Nick adjusts his tie, then smiles and gives a quick nod toward the camera with one hand on his hip.
Winning Scene2: (Coming Today)

- "A" ATTACKS -

A - Nick punches straight ahead with his left fist, which can lead into...
AA - Another straight punch, this time with Nick's right. Links to...
AAA - A semi-spin with a right leg kick. You know the drill...
AAAA - Nick turns all the way around, ending his spin with a diagonal heel drop from his left leg...just kidding. He's not THAT athletic. He ends his combo with a spinning, full-palm slap!

Side A - Nick whips his briefcase in front of him, starting high and ending low.
Up A - Nick punches skyward, hopping about a foot off of the ground.
Down A - Nick trips over nothing, coming down hard in front of him. With good timing, this can go right into a shield roll.

Dash A - Nick crow-hops a few feet while winding up a punch, then jams it straight ahead into the foes gut.

- SMASH ATTACKS -

Side Smash - Nick grips his briefcase tightly in both hands, and baseball-swings it in front of him. A hit sends paper flying everywhere (just for effect).
Up Smash - More briefcase shenanigans ensue when Nick arcs the thing overhead, sending recipients diagonally downwards in front of him, sort of like Fox's Up Smash from behind.
Down Smash - A solid stomp in front of him. A full-charge yields a 3-stomp combo.

- AERIALS -​

Neutral Air - A horizontal spin, akin to Peach's Nair, only with Nick's briefcase. Paper will fly.
Forward Air - A punting kick, with slight lag for the wind-up. Acts like an upwards spike/meteor.
Backward Air - Nick spins around once in midair, briefcase leading.
Upward Air - The backflip kick. However, if Nick uses this, he ends up losing recovery, and crashes to the ground. Good timing can once again lead to a sheild roll.
Downward Air - The double-stomp, although it acts more like Sheik's than C. Falcon's (i.e. not a one-hit range).

- GRABS -​

Grab - Reaches out with both arms. The "bear hug" method.
Running Grab - Same as above, only with stopping lag.
Grab Attack - A knee to the, ahem, "lower body".

Forward Throw - A sidearm pitch using both arms.
Backward Throw - OH YEAH, THE WRIGHT-STYLE SUPLEX!
Upward Throw - A simple upwards toss, a la Mario.
Downward Throw - Nick drops the foe to the floor, then follows up with a devastating two-hit heel stomp combination.

- SPECIALS -​

B: Objection! - The finger of truth is wielded! If the finger lands right in the middle of an enemy, a nice "homerun" effect and HUGE knockback results. Like C. Falcon's knee, only cooler because it's Phoenix Wright. If you hit the sweet spot, expect a good 35-40% damage as well!
Side B: Witness Testimony - Nick glances over the witness' testimony, then with a quick shrug, flicks it away. If you've ever thrown cards, then you know how this sucker flies. A smashed version of this has Phoenix angrily reviewing the sheet, then whipping it away, dealing more damage, but with less range.
Up B: Flight of the Phoenix - (Note: I'm a bit shaky on this one, so any help would be appreciated) Nick flails wildly, clawing at the air and by some act of God, pulling himself heavenward. Damages like Luigi's dash.
Down B: Cross Examination - Phoenix mulls over his evidence (in paper form). Any attacks are met with a snappy counter, not damaging the foe, but leaving them stunned for a good 1 second, while Nick recovers immediately, ready to launch any attack.

BRAWL ATTACK: Turnabout! - Nick's determined visage flicks across the screen, and anyone unfortunate enough to be directly in front of him gets a face-full of finger. Phoenix moves around his opponent, quickly presenting piece after piece of contradicting evidence, sending objects and papers flying all over. When the dust settles, the enemy takes anywhere from 25-100% damage, based on how much % Nick has (get it? A turnabout?). No knockback, but huge damage.

END

Brought back for great justice for the sake of the conversation.

Finigin

Smash Cadet
Nick's item sounds badass. XD Cool ideas for the alt costumes! I wouldn't have thought of his musician outfit. ^^; The taunt and winning pose are cool as well. :D

I was going to say that having Miles' suit as an alt costume is a bit iffy, but then I remembered that one of Mario's alts is Wario's colors. XD So, I'm cool with that now.

MarsBitrona

Smash Apprentice
I'm not exaggerating when I say that this thread has changed my life.

Prepare to feel the power... of attorney!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Wow. I stand corrected.

And you know, now that I think about it, Larry says something to that effect in the final chapter of the first game. I need to play more Phoenix Wright...

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Actually, it is :p

"Nick" is the NICKname. :p
To be exact, that's just his American name. His REAL name (that is, his Japanese name) is Ryuichi Naruhodo. His Japanese surname, Naruhodo, is a reference toward the Japanese expression naruhodo, which equates to the English "yes, I see".

Spoilers:

His given name, Ryuichi, initially had no particular significance until Gyakuten Saiban 3 introduced a man name Toranosuke Shibakuzō (Ryūichi alludes to the dragon, while Toranosuke alludes to the tiger, which are said to be natural enemies).

Finigin

Smash Cadet
I can't wait for September. :D I'm wanted to play the third one since I beat the first one. lol XP

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Nice moveset. You must have put some time into that. It just goes to show that Phoenix has a lot of material to draw on, and would be a great choice for this game.

While I disagree with some of your decisions, the most egregious is the emblem (which you said is his attorney's badge). It should be the Objection finger that is on the case of the American PW games! It's Phoenix's trademark symbol.

Oh, also, your color scheme is interesting, but it's not enough. You need Blue, Red, and Green colors at the very least. Though, I like Phoenix's classic suit for his blue color and the Edgeworth suit for the red color. However, it's probably unlikely since all the other characters (in Melee) had alternate colors that were just palette and texture swaps (most were just palette, but the odd one, like Marth, occasionally added a texture difference as well). The Edgeworth suit is actually a completely different design.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Note I said "alternate costumes", as in completely different skins. That probably won't be in the game, but it'd be a cool way to show more love for any given series.

His team colors would just be a blue suit, a red suit, a green suit, and a yellow suit. Also, I had considered the "objection silhouette" before, but I just think his attorney's badge works better, as it's an actual symbol rather than Phoenix himself.

Finigin

Smash Cadet
I think that Nick's alt costume should be his younger self (the pink sweater and the face mask) or
his older self from GS4 (the baggy hoodie and the light blue beanie)

Since every character has one or two special costumes -like Link with his white and black tunics-, I don't think it would be a stretch to have Nick with one costume that is different.

As for his emblem, I think both of those ideas work. :D

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
NOOOOO!!! He's a freakin lawyer. Although the character sketch was semi entertaining. I'd rather see freakin Sabulba from freakin Star Wars Episode freakin one.

He's a lawyer!!!

Ganondorf hits Wright with a Ganon Punch. Wright flies of stage
Owned

Plus, I didn't know he was even a character till I came here and if I haven't heard of him yet, he's to new to be in Brawl!

Finigin

Smash Cadet
Um, dude, just because you've never heard of someone doesn't mean they don't deserve to be in Brawl. Gyakuten Saiban has been around for awhile. The first game for the GBA came out shortly before Melee was released. Since then, it has become one of the most popular series on handheld consoles.

I don't see any reason why Phoenix can't be in Brawl. Just because he is a lawyer doesn't mean he can't kick ***. Since you haven't even played the games, you can't even know how awesome he is. You can't even have an opinion on him, really.

But that's your opinion. Most of the people posting in this thread don't agree with you, though.

Oh, and by the way, Nick would totally kick Ganon's ***. :p

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Finigin said:
Oh, and by the way, Nick would totally kick Ganon's ***. :p
Fo' rizzle mah nizzle.

Also, poop on you Finigin, you just spoiled GS4 for me. I honestly had no idea who was under that hoodie. Crappit.

...But then, it's my fault for looking at the spoiler-tagged text. Must beat head against brick wall.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Instead of "Flight of the Phoenix", shouldn't Phoenix's Up+B be something like "Turnabout Smash" or so? (IE, SOMETHING that has the word "Turnabout" in it). In addition to the fact that Phoenix's cases in the games are traditionally called Turnabouts, "Turnabout" means "Come Back", so in essence, it'd be symbollic of Phoenix Wright making a comeback because he "comes back" to the field.

Also, Phoenix's name isn't Phoenix in Japan so "Flight of the Phoenix" wouldn't work for a move name there. "Flight of the Dragon" in Japan with "Flight of the Phoenix" in US might, though (His name Ryu in Japan means "Dragon")

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Hey, his Brawl is "Turnabout"...isn't that enough? And as much as I appreciate help naming things, I'd much prefer help changing that recovery move of his.

Finigin

Smash Cadet
lol Sorry there, Chief. XP Don't worry, I don't think it is a major spoiler. o.o

That's true, Tiamat. His name is Ryuuichi in Japan which means... um.. well Ryuuichi means son of Ryu, but Ryu does mean dragon so it is the same. lol XD But since they changed his name for the English version, they could change the attack. :D That is, if they magically use this move list in the game. O.o

Smady

Smash Master
Chief Mendez owns this topic. I'm ashamed to have thought that Phoenix didn't have a chance after seeing that moveset. Possibly the greatest I've ever seen for an obscure character as far as 'Smash goes, a lot of great ideas. Well done. :p

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Yay, compliments!

Finigin said:
I really believe he has a chance, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up... Though, I can't help it. XD
I know what you mean. I have doubts...well, alot of doubts, but if he managed to be included, Brawl would instantly become the greatest fighting game of all time.

Finigin

Smash Cadet
Ack, I haven't been doing my job. D:

Oh yah, if Nick got in this would be the best fighting game ever! :D If he doesn't get in, then I'll have to buy SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters DS. <.< Then cry a little.

Vali

Smash Ace
I don't think Phoenix Wright should be in Brawl...i mean, he just doesn't have the Wright stu-

Objection!

Alright, fine, maybe he does. Would be quite nice to see him in action since he is quite an awesome character, but I just don't know how plausible he is as a brawler. He can have a 1 thumb up from me which is fair. Now if he could be used to sue anyone that beats you at Smash Bros., that'd be a different story. Sorry in advance for the lame joke :laugh:

Fawriel

Smash Master
According to this interview thread, there's supposed to be characters who'll really surprise people.
I'd say Nick is a prime candidate for that, eh?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Ack, I haven't been doing my job. D:

Oh yah, if Nick got in this would be the best fighting game ever! :D If he doesn't get in, then I'll have to buy SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters DS. <.< Then cry a little.
That game's awesome...but only if (like moί), you manage to convince a buddy to buy a copy, since there's no Download Play and no WiFi...

But Nick's card isn't all that great...I only use him in mah chance deck.

Fawriel: Have I missed something? What is this "interview" you're talking about?

Vali: Go back 2 pages.

Vali

Smash Ace
Vali: Go back 2 pages.
Usuaully i'd go routing around for the movesets before commenting but SWF is being kinda really slow for me :/ Thanks for the tip though, moveset looks **** awesome and really well done. Phoenix can have 3 thumbs up from me for sure, just dont ask how...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Well, it's not that it's bad (up to 1,000 DMG for only a couple force points), but it's damage is completely luck based. Thus he's in my "chance" deck. And nothing says "take that, beyotch" like a lawyer taking out your opponent's Shin Akuma and ending the match.

It might (not really though) help if we knew who the interviewed in this case was. Maybe Sakurai has a soft spot for lawyer-em-ups.

Although I have to say I don't berieve a word of that thing after seeing the boxart he posted alongside it.

Vali

Smash Ace
I have an objection to this thread being dead/on page 8 of SWF. This thread needs some hearty discussion of why everyone's favourite lawyer deserves to be in Brawl :laugh:. Even if he is one of those characters with almost no chance :urg:.

You see what I did there? With the catchphrase and all? Pretty clever stuff eh?

Vali

Smash Ace
*congratulates Vali, shakes his hand and pats his shoulder*
\o/ Already trying my best to keep the Captain Olimar thread alive with some witty banter, might as well try it with this topic too ^^.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I am fully behind you. It just wouldn't be wright not to include Phoenix, in fact, it would be a crime, whoever commits it should fly behind bars and if he's not in yet, development shall be arrested until this wrong has been wrought, err, righted.

I wish English was my first language, I could have thought of SO many more puns. <3

So, err.
Phoenix Wright.
I don't think his chances are that low, really... Nintendo employees check the internet, and whoever checks the internet more often than once a week knows some memes, and thus...

Phoenix Wright has the support of the internets!!!

Top Bottom