• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prepare to be Astounded One Last Time: Wiseguy’s Brawl Predictions THE FINAL VERSION!

Smady

Smash Master
Overall User Rankings

Welcome to the User Rankings! Every Monday, I'll be compiling the entire of the last week's activity in the thread and showing off, just who is the most active member? The point of this exercise is to recognise the most dedicated among us – those make your movers who are currently pushing the boundaries, as well as highlighting all movesets made by them.

To get on this list, you need to have made a moveset in this or a previous Make Your Move, as well as having posted in the Make Your Move 10 thread. The cut-off point for tallying is 5PM on Monday EST, 3PM PMT or 10PM GMT; other removals or changes are at my own discretion. The breakdown of points is as follows:

30 points for a Moveset
5 points for a Comment
4 points for a Secondary Submission
2 points for a Secondary Submission Comment
1 point for a Regular Post
+Regular Posts do not stack
+Secondary Submissions are MYminis, Joke Movesets and other miscellaneous submissions

Remember to check out the stadium to find all of the sets mentioned. If you want some more opinions from me, please visit my moveset ratings.

Week #1
Week #2
Week #3
Week #4
Week #5
Week #6
Week #7
Week #8
Week #9
Week #10
Week #11
Week #12
Week #13
Week #14
Week #15
Week #16
Week #17
Week #18

Points: 596, Movesets: Garbodor, Doctor N. Tropy, Mr. Banbollow, Mr. Mime, Cosmic Spacehead

Points: 539, Movesets: Slowbro, Hostile Elder Oak, Rainbow Dash

Points: 499, Movesets: Spider-Man, Galaxy Man, Concrete Man, Mafia Man, Portal Man, Caterpie, Gemini Man, Mr. Mime

Points: 477, Movesets: Wario, Vlad Plasmius, King Barbovor, Dirty Bubble, Sid's Toys, Clayface

Points: 455, Movesets: Sir Weston, Klobber, Baron K. Roolenstein, Pennywise, Sakurai, Edgar

Points: 307, Movesets: Dry Bowser, Venom, Satana, Malzahar, Goomba, General Grievous, Lord Cronal, Hippopotas

Points: 280, Movesets: Genesect, Mike Haggar, Mr. Freeze, MODOK, Hakan, Rocket Raccoon, Pyro, Zoroark

Points: 270, Movesets: Hoppip, Cofagrigus, Homura, Wailord, Gamzee

Points: 235, Movesets: Enrico Pucci, Commander Shepard, Gallade, Sonic & Tails, Chess Man, Yanmega

Points: 225, Movesets: DarkMega, Vlad Plasmius, General Grievous, Two-Face

Points: 209, Movesets: Ashley, Viewtiful Joe, Geno, Belome, Colors Sonic, Sora

Points: 191, Movesets: The Flying Dutchman, Robo-Patrick, Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie

Points: 174, Movesets: Kabutops, Ghost Rider, Applejack, Rarity

Points: 174, Movesets: Sho Minamimoto, Taokaka, Arakune, Emidius Amarandos, Majora, Redead, Trace

Points: 151, Movesets: Bad Girl, Admiral Bobbery, Man Ray and The Dirty Bubble

Points: 138, Movesets: Robo-Link MKIII, The Fighter, Chen, Oichi

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Ah, my mistake, I saw the mention of what would happen if Simon didn't get in a Pichu did and saw the picture, so I jumped to conclusions ^^

Smady

Smash Master
So... Has Simon Belmont been in all Castlevania games? Actually, could someone give me an overview of Castlevania as a whole.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
I was going to reply, Wiseguy. I was all set to do it, but then I realized - if we keep shooting this walls of text at each other, the quote war will never end, and any newcomers to the thread will be scarred for life. Therefore, I will not continue the war. Launch your words at me all you wish, but I will not correspond with mirrored walls of mine.

:p.

Anyway, some random bits I'll answer anyway

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who feels that way. Melee is a great game and all, but isn't it time for a new Smash Bros?
Yep. I keep saying, I want Brawl to be as much of a step-up from Melee as Melee was from SSB64. Why can't people understand?

That might be true, for all I know. This is all, of course, only speculation. But I still think that time would b better served creating a new character addition - but that's just me.
No, it's not you. I was simply answering. But I am very much an advocate of new characters - and if some have to go for it, well, tough luck.

What have I unleashed?
Just something that was already there, simmering - the realization that King Mickey is not only a dual-representation favored by a large amount of people (pretty much every KH fan likes Mickey, and if you want to deny his popularity outside it... well, good luck with that xD) but is also seven different kinds of kickass in a 4-feet (plus ears) body.

Come on, Wisey. Embrace the truth. KING MICKEY FOR BRAWL!

:laugh:

WAH HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Sleep tight Drascin.

"Tingle Lingle Loo Limpa!"
You know, I know how to curse you. I'm Galician, witchcraft is kind of a tradition around here. Just sayin'

@Mendez:

I personally liked PD more than Halo, but the game's really hard to go back to after logging perhaps hundreds of hours into such a superior FPS...like Halo 2.
Haven't really played Halo 2 (only played the first one) so I can't really comment on it. But after all this talk I've decided to replay PD by emulator, despite a keyboard being the worst thing ever for the controls, and I'm still liking it a lot, despite having tried a few new-gen shooters.

It's hard to believe there was a time when we believed those graphics to be totally awesome, though :laugh:.

Well, King Mickey wouldn't work since he hails from Kingdom Hearts (and since everyone here's anti-Sora, why should Mickey be any different). I was actually thinking of the Sorcerer's Apprentice, which is essentially the best animated short of all time.

I myself can't really picture him in Smash, but if he was, by some miracle, included, I'd have to seriously consider switching from Link to Mickey.
I was saying King Mickey both because that's the most "fighty" version of the character, and because he would double as both a KH and Disney rep somewhat, and there might even be more KH fans who like Mickey than who like Sora ;). But yes, the apprentice sorcerer would also be very cool. I'd have to seriously consider him for oe of my favorite (and given the existence of MetaKnight, Pit, and Dedede, that post is mighty contested).

Of course, neither one is happening, but hey, no one said we have to limit ourselves to just logical talk! :p

Much rather "this". Not only is MegaMan 2 clearly the best game in the series, but if you're going to use a character, it should be in their most iconic form. And the Megaman Capcom uses as it's mascot is the normal Megaman.
We agree in that, should some Megaman rep be there, it will be Rockman and no one else. However, we don't really agree much further than that on this topic. I consider the later sagas (especially MMZ) to be much better than anything by the old Rockman, which certainly includes Megaman 2 (you mean the NES one? I fail to see what's so special about it). I started with MM6, and played one or two more and I liked them, but I really got into the series when I was gifted MMX3. Maybe it's like you said for PD: when you've spent so long playing superior games, it kind of gets difficult to go back (the lack of run, for example, is even worse than the jump you mention in your Halo-PD arguments - it honestly hurts a lot having just walk and jump)

You mean "Makar"!? Best. Character. Ever.
I mean the little tree-guy with the violin. In my version, he was named Makore. I dunno about yours.

Regal was way better than Presea, man. Regal was awesome.
And again, we disagree. Didn't even have Regal in my team, myself (Lloyd, Presea, Genis and Rayne were my mains). But then, I'm partial to children with the ability to kick *** like nobody's business ;)

I liked your Belmont moveset, though, FWIW.

-----------

Megaman would be too much like metroid, I mean, come on, two people with guns on their hands?Metriod has those bombs, and one of Megaman's special thing that changes his gun to shoot bombs...Their just too alike, y'know?
First, I'm thinking you mean "Samus", because a metroid has little to do with Mega at all :p. And second, well, that's only if Sakurai and his team get lazy. It's not like Mega hasn't had a metric assload of different weapons to base his moveset on.

----------

Oh, and thanks for the info, copperpot. I will start searching a working rom for the game, stat. Seeing that people here do not want Zero in Brawl, I'll have to keep myself happy with pwning with him in that other game :ohwell:

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Simon´s appeared in Castlevania (the original) and all its remakes (Vampire Killer, Super Castlevania IV, Haunted Castle and some other I forget at the moment), as well as Castlevania II: Simon´s Quest. He´s a hidden character in Harmony of Dissonance, but it´s not a canon appearance.

He´s still the most iconic character from the Castlevania series for having started the franchise, and if anyone from it gets in it really should be him.

One problem with your moveset, Chief. The folks at NOA will be greatly discouraged to have a cross-chucking vampire killer in the game, especially if his Final Smash is a flaming cross. I heart Simon Belmont, but that´s the main reason why I think that if he did get in NOA might want him out for the stateside version. Which would suck in unimaginable amounts.

But great work otherwise! Awesome detail. I think that Simon´s current incarnation (the one in the picture you provided) is the one that should be used; that´s the one that was used for DreamMix TV, anyway.

Hehe. I do love how he looks like a BDSM princess.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
You aren't making any more quote war posts, and yet.
These are only bits and pieces, not a full fledged quote missile. I limited myself greatly to avoid the "wall syndrome". If did what my instinct told me, you'd have a post that'd rival with Wisey's last one, not one barely a screen long :p

King Xander

Smash Rookie
I mean the little tree-guy with the violin. In my version, he was named Makore. I dunno about yours.
I wouldn't doubt that the name in his game is different, considering he lives in Canada.There are some differences in alot of games for each region.

One problem with your moveset, Chief. The folks at NOA will be greatly discouraged to have a cross-chucking vampire killer in the game, especially if his Final Smash is a flaming cross. I heart Simon Belmont, but that´s the main reason why I think that if he did get in NOA might want him out for the stateside version. Which would suck in unimaginable amounts.

Ong, I forgot about that :(

Castlevania has got to be one of my favorite series ever.Yes, I like it more than Mario, Sonic, Metriod Prime(BTW, Yeah, I meant to put Samus, sry, I typed it, then when I saw my post and it said metriod I smacked myself, so there.)And every others, even TLoZ.Anyway, The Metriod Prime series is a futuristic Castlevania, in almost every way.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Kunitsuna: Then just call his final "Grand Cruz", like in Portrait of Ruin. And the "cross" is often called a 'boomerang'. The censors wouldn't ruin it, though.

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
Well, aside from the lack of Ridley (seriously man, that's just inexcusable) and the Diddy/Dixie idea (which kind of insulting to Diddy, in my view. Does he really need his girl friend to face off against Pikachu?) it's not half bad. Personally, I'd rank your list as a 7/10 - but that's just me.

Yea, but to be honest, im not a big Ridley fan (*runs*). I dunno, i just see him as more of a boss- and chances are, Sakurai will make him one. Then again, Sakurai is very unpredictable and will probably go with the fans and make him a character too.
As for Diddy, i think his chances of getting in are better if hes in a duo with Dixie. I personally want him solo, but would a pair wouldnt be HORRIBLE? After all, my list is based on my predictions; it isnt a dream list, ya digg?

Otherwise, thanks for the rating!

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
So... Has Simon Belmont been in all Castlevania games? Actually, could someone give me an overview of Castlevania as a whole.
When I reserved Portrait of Ruin for DS, it came with a little outline of all the games with a timeline, man that was awesome. I'll give you a little overview of the whole Castlevania series. Too many games to remember it all, but Simon was basically the main character in all the NES, original gameboy, and SNES games(I think).

It is his family lineage that is the main characters in the series, not necessarily him. In Symphony of the Night, you played Alucard, Dracula's son. But other than that, except for Portrait of Ruin, they were all either Simon, or another member of the Belmont clan from a different generation. Basically, Dracula is resurrected every 100 years, and the current member of the Belmont family must banish him and his castle, again. This is the central concept, but there's a handful of games that deveate slightly from it.

In Portrait of Ruin, it is a member of the Morris clan (Jonothan, with a spellcasting female sidekick whose name I can't remember, but her family also had been helping) who is another family that helps the Belmonts in a large portion of the series. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you can find a copy of that timeline that I got that illustrates the whole series, but I can't remember everything. They should definitely make an anime series out of it.

King Xander

Smash Rookie
Wait a sec though, In my fave game Castlevania:Circle of the Moon you play as Nathan Graves, because it follows the Graves/Baldwin clan.You also use a different whip, named Hunter's Whip.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yea, but to be honest, im not a big Ridley fan (*runs*). I dunno, i just see him as more of a boss- and chances are, Sakurai will make him one. Then again, Sakurai is very unpredictable and will probably go with the fans and make him a character too.
As for Diddy, i think his chances of getting in are better if hes in a duo with Dixie. I personally want him solo, but would a pair wouldnt be HORRIBLE? After all, my list is based on my predictions; it isnt a dream list, ya digg?

chances are, he'll be a character, getting second on the polls, in japan, which hated the prime series.

Smady

Smash Master
Simon´s appeared in Castlevania (the original) and all its remakes (Vampire Killer, Super Castlevania IV, Haunted Castle and some other I forget at the moment), as well as Castlevania II: Simon´s Quest. He´s a hidden character in Harmony of Dissonance, but it´s not a canon appearance.

He´s still the most iconic character from the Castlevania series for having started the franchise, and if anyone from it gets in it really should be him.

But great work otherwise! Awesome detail. I think that Simon´s current incarnation (the one in the picture you provided) is the one that should be used; that´s the one that was used for DreamMix TV, anyway.

Hehe. I do love how he looks like a BDSM princess.
Thanks for informing me... I knew very little about him, but he certainly does seem like the best Castlevania representative. If only Castlevania were more popular and the content of a lot of his possible moves weren't either religious or based around crosses...

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Smash Daddy said:
If only Castlevania were more popular and the content of a lot of his possible moves weren't either religious or based around crosses...
In Castlevania games themselves it´s not a problem; in the beginning they did change the name to Boomerang like Chief mentioned, but nowadays translations are accurate and refer to it as a cross.

My concern is that, for obvious reasons added to the new ´games for everyone´ philosophy of the Wii, Nintendo will aim to make Super Smash Bros. Brawl E-rated. The ESRB may not agree to this if they have Simon throwing crosses about, and even a renaming may not be enough. I think it´s a possibility that if Simon made it into SSBB he would be cut in the US release.

Still rooting for him, though!

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
UPDATE! Probably my last one until Monday. I need time to think of new ideas...

That would actually be a huge spoiler from Mother 3, though it turns out he's one of the more popular characters in the series in Japan, and seems quite interesting in style. The only problem with his inclusion is the whole spoiler that surrounds him, so unless they aren't ever planning to release Mother 3 outside Japan, I'm not sure adding him would be a good idea.
That makes sense.

On an unrelated note, did the moron who revealed the Black Knight's identity on the BK thread cover up the spoiler yet?

First thing's first...

Yay, update!

Didn't Sakurai get the memo that Wii games can't look as stuning as PS3/360 games? No? THANK GOODNESS!

I'd like to point out that this section is taken from the first level of StarFox Assault. So we now have a Command-esque Fox and a stage from Assault. What game isn't there?
Adventures.
Actually, Fox's new look is from Command - not Assault.

Brawl:

Command:

Assault:

Regardless, we still don't know for certain what role Adentures content will apear in Brawl.

Yeah, of all the movesets I've made, I'd say that one's up there in the top 5. Thanks for the compliments.
I've posted links to your Simon and Gray Fox movesets in my update, Mendez so everyone can read them. Great job on both.

Yup, yup. It's not just that though. The game just wasn't "StarFox". It was a bad Zelda rip-off. Really, if it didn't have the SF name tied to it...I could see myself liking it.
Wrong. Adventures was an exceptional Zelda rip off. Hey, if you are going to steal from a game series - you might as well steal from the best.

I fail to understand your logic. Why would you like the game any more if it had a different title? A great game is still a great game, by any other name.

That'd be fine. Just as long as there aren't any actual Dinosaurs...with scottish accents...
Dinosaurs are awesome. Scottish accents are also aweseome. Having them both together can only be more awesome.

You have a floating, magically-infused gremlin that can move through shadows, or a dog. If the Wolf is there, that means that standard attacks would be "a big bite" or "a lunge" rather than Midna clubbing an with a giant shock of hair, or electrocuting them with twilit energy.

I just don't get the appeal.
As Ferro showed with his moveset, it's possible to have great a moveset consisting of both Midna's Magicl hair and Twili energy as well as the Wolf's bite and claw attacks.

And as far as Wolf Link in TP goes, the big problem with him was that he wasn't a utility. He didn't go fast enough to warrant the lack of defense, especially when you could just hop on Epona and move about three times as quickly. After the Lakebed Temple, the only practical reason (not "I like it") you had to use the Wolf was to "sense" things or dig up useless rupess or the occasional secret cavern.
In addition to sensing invisible things and digging up rubies and hearts, Wolf Link also has access to Midna's energy field which allows him to attack muliple enemies at once. His running spped is also a bit greater than normal Link's. Personally, I just found it more enjoyable to attack enemies as a Wolf - but that's just me.

But see, that's why Famitsu is so great: they don't rate things by the same standard as everything else. Most American magazines gave Nintendogs a 5 or 6 out of 10 because of it's simplicity and lack of depth, but they were judging it as the hardcore gamers they are. Famitsu has different people evaluate different games, so for Halo, they'd have their hardcore gamer review it, but for Nintendogs, they had that game's target audience: casual gamers, review it.

And really, a game that sells over 6 million copies deserves it.
Interesting. Having casual gamers review casual gamers does make sense. Personally, I'd give the game an 8.5/10.

But...who cares about the StarFox canon? Or the Zelda canon for that matter? Neither of those franchises have ever been concerned with it, and neither should the player. SFA was, plainly put, a StarFox game in only the loosest sense of the term.
Well, I care. I'm a Starfox fan and a Zelda fan so I'm interested in how the games relate to one another in the overall story.

I disagree that the series aren't concerned with it. OoT, MM & TP in particular fit together nicely and are very self referential. OoT and WW are also the same way. The Stafox games also have stories that fit together - and some fans of the series have have a strong appreciation for the stories and characters (though I admittedly don't care as much for the SF plotlines as I do the Zelda ones, but you get my point).

Does a Starfox game have to be a shooter to be considered "real"? Is Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga not a "real" Mario game because it isn't a platformer?

I think I'd rather have different characters get in that another Link. Nothing against WW Link, but it it's either him or Tingle/Midna/Vaati/Whatever, I'd definitely say the latter.

I though Brawl was supposed to be a "new game" and all that?
Tisk, tisk. I would have expected better from a die hard WW fan, such as yourself.

I do want a "new game" but that doesn't mean I want ALL of the old characters from Melee to be cut. A character like like Young Link (who has been with the Zelda series since the very first game and appeared in recent classics like WW and MC in addition to the highly anticipated PH) is worthy of returning.

PukPuk Egg.

Oh, and let's not forget how cornily excited Fox got whenever he found ANYTHING he hadn't seen before.
Fox is amazed in every blade of grass and bug he comes across. We could all learn a lesson from Fox's sense of wonder.

Is...is Super Paper Mario the game you're talking about? Is there really another Paper Mario naysayer in my midst!?
I still can't believe anyone could feel anything but respect and admiration for the Paper Mario games.

"Tingle, Tingle, Kooloo Limpah!"

Sheesh, you know all the Tingle Bros., but not 'Tingle's magic words, that he created himself, so don't steal them'!?
YOU FOOOOOOL! I deliberately misquoted Tingle's magic words so that I wouldn't be stealing them! Now that you have stolen Tingle's secret magic words, we are all DOOMED! The wrath of the Tingle will consume us all! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Sorry Wiseguy, not trying to be a hater. I've always been a Rare fanboy and a big SF fan, so no hate from me :) I actually did enjoy SFA, I just think it would have been better if it had remained a unique product, that's all. Oh, and PB + Chocolate FTW indeed :chuckle:
Okay. Sorry for singling you out. I was just getting a bit peeved with everyone speaking ill on what is actually a very good game.

Nice list... But there are a few problems.

For one, you're including Skull Kid over Midna. As much as I love Skull Kid and want him in, he won't be in over Midna. Midna has the best chance of any new Zelda character. I wouldn't be surprised if she were the only real new character and the rest were revised models. But if Midna's in too Skull Kid would definitely stand a chance against the throw-aways like Zant and Vaati. (He won like 90-20 at the IGN poll.)

I think the most equal match-up for Skull Kid is Tingle, as hated as Tingle is. They probably will fight over the second new Zelda character spot.

You're also including Zelda/Sheik. I don't see that happening. Sheik will likely be abandoned and Zamus/Zero-Suit Samus will take her moveset. I see Zelda using her Twilight Princess rapiers and a moveset derived from her appearance in that game.

Game&Watch... Eh... He's a surprise character - but would he be a surprise in his second game? I think his place would be better suited for another Nintendo character like Bowser Jr w/Paintbrush or even Krystal. They aren't surprises, but they're needed to even out the roster with different kinds of characters. And I think if the Miis are in, they'll take G&W's place as the "surprise" character.

If you amend those things it'll be a higher score, but I personally like the idea of villains > females, but detest the idea of "classics" > recents. Wouldn't everyone prefer Bowser Jr. and Krystal over G&W and ICs? They're exciting and new! The Mii's also pretty bleh. A boring character idea. Their Super Smash attack would likely be a Mii Parade of fake Hitlers and Steve Irwins. What a sickening thought... I never liked that thing, it's more of a feature than a character.

I'll give your list... 6.5/10

And, yaa, I haven't posted here a while. This topic's gone up like fifty pages. :laugh:
Welcome back Smash Daddy. I agree with all your critiques - except Mii. I can put up with the inevitable sea of poorly made Michael Jacksons as long as I can destory each and every one of them with my Jack Bauer Mii.

I was going to reply, Wiseguy. I was all set to do it, but then I realized - if we keep shooting this walls of text at each other, the quote war will never end, and any newcomers to the thread will be scarred for life. Therefore, I will not continue the war. Launch your words at me all you wish, but I will not correspond with mirrored walls of mine.

:p.

Anyway, some random bits I'll answer anyway
Fair enough. Truce.

Just something that was already there, simmering - the realization that King Mickey is not only a dual-representation favored by a large amount of people (pretty much every KH fan likes Mickey, and if you want to deny his popularity outside it... well, good luck with that xD) but is also seven different kinds of kickass in a 4-feet (plus ears) body.

Come on, Wisey. Embrace the truth. KING MICKEY FOR BRAWL!

:laugh:
I'll see your Mickey and raise you King Trode!

Like Samusrules93 said, Ridley is one of the most requested character for Brawl. I'd be shocked if he didin't appear as a playable character.

Yes, the tag team idea would be horrible. Diddy is the most worthy of all the potential newcomers - having been an equal partner in the DK series and the star of Diddy Kong racing. He deserves his own moveset - complete with Jetpack.

When I reserved Portrait of Ruin for DS, it came with a little outline of all the games with a timeline, man that was awesome. I'll give you a little overview of the whole Castlevania series. Too many games to remember it all, but Simon was basically the main character in all the NES, original gameboy, and SNES games(I think).

It is his family lineage that is the main characters in the series, not necessarily him. In Symphony of the Night, you played Alucard, Dracula's son. But other than that, except for Portrait of Ruin, they were all either Simon, or another member of the Belmont clan from a different generation. Basically, Dracula is resurrected every 100 years, and the current member of the Belmont family must banish him and his castle, again. This is the central concept, but there's a handful of games that deveate slightly from it.

In Portrait of Ruin, it is a member of the Morris clan (Jonothan, with a spellcasting female sidekick whose name I can't remember, but her family also had been helping) who is another family that helps the Belmonts in a large portion of the series. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you can find a copy of that timeline that I got that illustrates the whole series, but I can't remember everything. They should definitely make an anime series out of it.
Thanks for the history lesson. I really should get into the Castelvania series. It sounds like I'm missing out.

chances are, he'll be a character, getting second on the polls, in japan, which hated the prime series.
Wiser words were never spoken.

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
I beg to differ; while the portable adaptations are wonderful, I don´t think there´s a single 3D Castlevania game that is outstanding. They´re passable at best.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I still can't believe anyone could feel anything but respect and admiration for the Paper Mario games.
I do feel that way for the Paper Mario games...I just didn't like Super Paper Mario as much. The rushed story and the awkward gameplay just disappointed me after the flooringly amazing first two games. I just hope Intelligent Systems doesn't destroy Metroid as badly (which I seriously doubt they will) and that Kirby's Adventure for the Wii doesn't get the same destructive, gimmicky treatment in the transition.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Just as the Smash team went with the more recent incarnation of Link, so also will they include the most recent incarnation of Zelda. That means the more realistic, detailed looking TP Zelda – who doesn’t transform into Sheik.
For the sake of argument, let's say that the SSBB team does consider continuity to be an issue. If they go with TP Zelda, then she loses her OoT-based moveset; no more Din's Fire, Faore's Wind, Nayru's love, or Sheik. She would necessarily require a different moveset. No character's B moves were significantly changed from SSB to SSBM, and we have no evidence so far that returning characters will have significantly different B moves in SSBB. If that's the case, the team will at least retain her Melee B moves, which (for the sake of continuity) would require her to have her OoT look, which would make it likely for Sheik to return.

If they go with TP Zelda, she would (for the sake of continuity) need new B moves, or the team would at least need to give her moves new names and new looks that match what was seen in TP.

Seriously, why would they include OoT Zelda over TP Zelda? Going with the most recent incarnations of each character is how Zelda reps have been done in past games, and it is the logical and fair method of proceeding in the future.
It's probably most likely that her new look will be based off of TP. Still, the team could easily take her OoT look and give it as much detail as the TP look.

Also, technically, the latest Link style at the release of Melee was his Oracle look, which was based off the way he looked in every game besides OoT and MM. I think that with Melee, all the returning characters were just given more detail. The team didn't attempt to give any of the returning characters a look that was drastically different from its previous incarnation. It seems to be going both ways in Brawl; some characters like Mario and Samus are more or less just given more detail, and characters like Fox and Link look stylistically different from their Melee incarnation.

As a side note, I see Link's TP look more as an evolution and combination of his OoT and non OoT looks than a new style in and of itself. I would consider WW Link to be a new style in and of itself.

We no longer need Sheik as a “fantastic gameplay element” since we now have Zero Suit Samus as a character transformation.
That very well may be where that gameplay element ends up, with Sheik removed. It is certainly strong evidence for Sheik's removal. Still, we don't yet know how the switch works with Samus, and that switch is likely to only be one-way.

Sheik is established, but so is Pichu. It doesn’t mean that the character is worthy of returning.
The difference is that Sheik is a unique character and Pichu is an uninspired clone.

Sheik isn’t popular at all – Sheik’s obscenely cheap moveset is the reason so many people main the character. If Pichu were as high tier, he would be as popular as Sheik is.
Well, I see your point and I agree with it to an extent. It helps that Sheik is a unique character in her own right (and can switch back and forth to Zelda at will) and Pichu is only a clone whose moveset could be mapped to Pikachu easily. I happen to enjoy playing Zelda and Sheik together, but of course Sheik's overwhelmingly powerful moveset overshadows the attempt at making the character switch a significant gameplay element.

If the Smash team were to include a character to represent the older games in the series, what makes Sheik more worthy than Skull Kid or Aginham or Link’s Uncle? As a character in a single Zelda game, he/she/it/potato is among the most insignificant to the series as a whole.
Okay, so she's not a significant character to the Zelda series as a whole, but the Melee team certainly thought she was worth the effort at the time. I'm under the prediction that all unique movesets will return (a questionable guess as you've previously said), but if I'm wrong, then it's much more likely Sheik would not return.

It’s more than just the number of releases, it’s the popularity of those titles in the here and now that matters. NSMB sold a ridiculous number of copies on the DS last year and Sunshine was among the most popular GCN games. Coasting on wave of popularity, Bowser Jr. has a very good chance of being included.
Maybe. I haven't played NSMB yet, so I don't know how significant he is in that game. If Brawl needed yet another Mario rep, I think he would have a good shot, but I think Mario has enough reps as it is, and all the current reps are much, much more significant than Bowser Jr.

In command, she get’s a more face time than Falco, Peppy or Slippy – though Wolf is a bit more important to the story.

I haven’t played Command yet, so I can’t speak to that.
I recently acquired a DS and Command, and it's actually a pretty fun game and I like how the characters are portrayed. I like Krystal much more in Command than in Adventures or Assault (although everything was portrayed badly in Assault). She is portrayed as a significant character in her own right, instead of as little more than just the lone generic female character of the group. After playing Command, I am much more open to the possibility of her appearing in Brawl.

Fair enough, though I think you should definitely play one of the Fire Emblem games. They are a perfect blend of strategy and RPG that any gamer can appreciate.
I'll look into it. I'm not much of a strategy game person, but I've only heard good things about the series.

G&W might be easier to program than I realize, but if that is the case, why not include another visually simple character like Mii?
I'd be delighted if they included the Miis. The model and animation rig are done already, and the animations would be quick. Of course, G&W would require even less work. He was done so well in Melee (from an æsthetic and technical standpoint, low tier issues aside).

As for ICs, I think including Olimar (with his army of Nana-like minions) and/or Midna/Wolf Link tag team would fit their void quite nicely.

But yeah. Diddy/Dixie must be avoided at all costs.
You know, of those options, the Diddy/Dixie combination would be most like the ICs, in that the characters could/would play identically to each other, whereas the Pikmin would behave differently from Olimar, and I presume Wolf Link/Midna would play more like a single character than different characters working together. I think Olimar (w/ Pikmin) has a great shot, so Olimar's gameplay would have similarities to the ICs, so it wouldn't be too significant of a loss if the ICs were gone, but I would prefer that the ICs return regardless.

I suspect that Simon Belmont to actually more likely than Sonic considering that we know that Knomi is willing to include their characters.
Or is he less likely because Konami already has one rep and the team wants to include reps from other series? I guess we won't know that until we know the whole Brawl roster.

The way I see it, appearing on a Nintendo platform is necessary if a character is to be considered, but beyond that their importance as a videogame character can be judged on non-Nintendo releases as well. For example, if we judged Snake soley on his Nintendo releases we are left with a character who starred in a niche NES stealth game and a Gamecube port. But as a representative of the entire Metal Gear series (Nintendo and non-Nintendo releases) he is more than worthy to stand next to legend like Mario and Link.

Thus, taking into account the popularity of his PS2 games, Sora is worthy to appear in Brawl.
A caveat is that the Metal Gear games originated on a Nintendo system, making its relation to Nintendo a significant one even if the series' biggest games are on the PS2. KH:CoM was just an insignificant spinoff game. Of course, I wouldn't believe you if you said Snake would be in Brawl if he wasn't already announced. If Square Enix begged Nintendo, then Sora would make it in, but I doubt SE would ever do that, and I think that is the only way Sora would ever make it into a SSB game without him appearing in more significant KH games on Nintendo consoles.

I find it strange that you're such a proponent of including not only a character from a game you haven't played, but he's from a game you don't even want to play and he's admittedly little more than "Not Impossible" to be included.

NSMB has sold so many copies, that it's only sold less than the original SMB (out of all the 2D Marios). And Sunshine's the latest 3D Mario game. They're both very, very important games, at least as far as Smash is confirmed.
A quick scan of the internet seems to put SMB1, 3, World, and 64 ahead of NSMB in total sales, with NSMB second only in Japan, but I couldn't find any sites with good numbers. But the point is still essentially the same. Like I said above, I don't think Mario needs another rep, and he still isn't nearly as significant as the other Mario characters on the roster.

^^^
I should also point out (since we're now supposed to talk about stages) that I never, ever want to see anything (other than Krystal) from StarFox Adventures in the already-superior-Brawl. Despite the game being fun at the time (a time when there was nothing else on the 'Cube to play), it was so...terribly unoriginal and insipid...

So basically, just let Krystal share Fox's stages. It'd work better if they used her post-Adventures outfit(s), which actually makes more sense, seeing as how Fox's outfit is very reminiscent of Command. Also, Assault/Command are much better than Adventures.
I feel that way more about Assault than Adventures. I did enjoy Adventures, but Assault was regrettably bad. Assault has so many technical flaws on its own (horrid controls with lackluster support for customizing them, bad voice acting and writing, a lame invading enemy force out of nowhere for no reason plot, lack of variety in mission objectives such as destroy X hatchers over and over, generic on-foot combat), but compared to the phenomenal SF64, it was even worse (no branching missions, flight is way too slow and unfulfilling, actual flight combat was lacking, Landmaster is awful, arbitrary changes in character personality [Case in point: Pigma. Go back and play 64 and you will notice that he does not at all act like he does in Assault. In 64, he was the sly traitor that killed Fox's father and continues to taunt both Fox and Peppy. He wasn't a fat, bumbling pig. In addition, Slippy wasn't as annoying, Falco was able to save Fox on more than a few occasions, and Andrew wasn't quite as lame.], and I could go on and on). I shudder to think about Wolf included with a moveset based on Assault. Anyways, most reviews rate Assault as mediocre, so I would rather the SSBB team focus on the more popular, better-rated entries in the series.

More than likely, the next Golden Sun will be on a console (like the Wii). Camelot's said in the past that that's where they want the series to end up, and they want to do it with Nintendo.
Camelot is making an RPG for the Wii, so hopefully that will turn out to be Golden Sun 3. I'd love to see what new puzzles and psynergy moves Camelot can come up with using the Wii controls.

But...who cares about the StarFox canon? Or the Zelda canon for that matter? Neither of those franchises have ever been concerned with it, and neither should the player. SFA was, plainly put, a StarFox game in only the loosest sense of the term.
The Starfox games are very aware of the previous games in the series. They all take place chronologically, with characters coming and going, the team changing, disbanding, and reforming, and events in previous games are recalled in the later games.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Alright, things in Mendezland (the happiest place evar) are working a bit differently today. As you'll see, I only quote names once. Assume that all quotes after that named-quote are from the same person, until the next named-quote comes up, and repeat. Savvy?

Devastlian said:
Ya, but according to my sources (IE the references in that Wiki article) it is to be a sequel to Metroid Fusion and is still on its way after a couple of delays. It could very well be cancelled but I sure hope it isn't. As much as I like the Prime series (though I didn't really like Hunters that much), I loved the crap out of Zero Mission and don't want them to abandon the main 2-d series.
Well, I haven't been following it since I read a year ago that it was cancelled (IGN, EGM and Joystiq all said so, so it must be true!). If it does come out, I'll buy it for sure, but like I said, I enjoy the Prime games more than the 2D Metroids, so as long as Retro developed it, I'd prefer a 3D game.

Yay! Super Paper Mario is not what it could've been.

YosterDragon said:
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=39
Exactly. :cool:

Never seen the Ayami Kojima rendition of Simon before, I'm more used to the old school Conan the Barbarian with a whip look But new is good too.
Personally...I like the old Simon more, but that's just a personal preference, and I'm not at all opposed to seeing Kojima's version. And hey, there's always those alternate outfits, right?

I think we can agree to disagree. Just so long as the S-E rep isn't Sora I'll be happy.
Black Mage for Brawl.

TDub301 said:
I've spent many hours with both as well. And please don't get me wrong, Halo 2 is fun and yes, the ability to do the absurdly large jumps does make a difference. However, Halo does not introdue anything new to the fps genre at all. It's mostly hype really. PD didn't get that much hype, yet it was so good. The different ways you could get a kill were great. Shooting through doors, setting mines, putting dow laptop guns, it was so fun. If the 360 PD was just the original PD with better graphics and bigger maps with more players, it would've been better than it ended up being.
I could say the same about Perfect Dark: it didn't really add anything to the FPS formula besides some neat weapons, and if that's all you want for, CounterStrike (and all those millions of weapon mods) is much, much better.

Now with that out of the way, great moveset for Simon Belmont. I think you should incorporate some weapons like from the more recent Castlevania's (I know he wasn't in them, but I still like the idea). Like using a hammer for the foward smash or something. And I think he should do a whipwhip (like a pistol whip, but with his whip) for the downward throw. The final smash is perfect.
Thanks!

The problem with using axes/spears/RPGs with Simon is that...well, he never used them in his games. Those weapons came about with Symphony of the Night's use of the "Metroidvania" playstyle, and Simon hasn't been used outside of cameos since.

KingXander said:
Megaman would be too much like metroid, I mean, come on, two people with guns on their hands?Metriod has those bombs, and one of Megaman's special thing that changes his gun to shoot bombs...Their just too alike, y'know?
Megaman can do lots of stuff that Samus can't. For instance: he can't shoot up! ...Wait, nevermind that.

Just as long as he doesn't have a moveset like that horrible Smash Bros. flash game on Newgrounds. Seriously, every move he has just shoots a differently colored ball at a different angle...

Drascin said:
...if we keep shooting this walls of text at each other, the quote war will never end, and any newcomers to the thread will be scarred for life.
THE QUOTE WARS WILL NEVER DIE, I TELL YOU!

And it's not like we don't have new people joining us practically every day. Kunitsuna and O D I N are new, right? Personally, I think these giant walls o' words are what keeps this thread so 'relatively' clean of stupidity, and fills it instead with civility and all-around coolness.

We agree in that, should some Megaman rep be there, it will be Rockman and no one else. However, we don't really agree much further than that on this topic. I consider the later sagas (especially MMZ) to be much better than anything by the old Rockman, which certainly includes Megaman 2 (you mean the NES one? I fail to see what's so special about it). I started with MM6, and played one or two more and I liked them, but I really got into the series when I was gifted MMX3. Maybe it's like you said for PD: when you've spent so long playing superior games, it kind of gets difficult to go back (the lack of run, for example, is even worse than the jump you mention in your Halo-PD arguments - it honestly hurts a lot having just walk and jump)
People that started with the 2nd one, like me, will probably tell you that that one is the best one. It's just so perfect. I like the newer ones too (ZX on DS was especially good. Here's hoping they keep using the Metroidvania style in new games), but because I started out with no running or walljumping or shooting up (sounds like I'm talking about heroine, doesn't it?), it doesn't bother me not having those.

You're probably right about why you don't like it.

Weird. "Makore" doesn't work as well as "Makar" in the pun, I think.

"Medli Makar"

"Medli Makore"...actually, maybe it does sound better...

Kunitsuna said:
Simon´s appeared in Castlevania (the original) and all its remakes (Vampire Killer, Super Castlevania IV, Haunted Castle and some other I forget at the moment)
You're missing Chronicles on PSX, which (I think) is where he got his new look. Also, he was in a skateboarding game on the PS2, of all things. :dizzy:

that´s the one that was used for DreamMix TV
Wasn't Optimus Prime in that game too? I know Snake was...

KingXander said:
Anyway, The Metriod Prime series is a futuristic Castlevania, in almost every way.
Just don't forget that Metroid did that style of gameplay way before Castlevania.

TDub301 said:
Wait for it...

True, Simon's not the main character of the franchise, but he's the most ubiquitous (and the coolest) of the Belmonts, so he would get top billing.

Also, you're forgetting Soma Cruz from Aria of Sorrow (GBA) and Dawn of Sorrow (DS). Oh, and Nathan Graves from Circle of the Moon (GBA).

It's "Charlotte Aulin", for the record.

As for the timeline: here's my abridged version (taken from the same poster as you have).

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

1094 - Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2), starring Leon Belmont. Dracula does NOT appear.

1476 - Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse (NES), starring Trevor Belmont, Dracula's introduction.

1479 - Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (PS2), starring some guy named Hector. I never really looked into this game, and I don't think he's a Belmont. Dracula is in this one.

1576 - The Castlevania Adventure (GB) - According to the poster, "Christopher" seals Dracula for 15 years, until...

1591 - Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge (GB) - "Christpher's" son "Soleiyu" is coaxed over to the dark side by Dracula. It should be noted that I have never played either of these two GB games, and in fact find it weird that there are two "Castlevania 2's" in existence...

1691 - Castlevania (NES), starring Simon Belmont, who slays Dracula, but in the process, is cursed.

1698 - Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest (NES), starring (you guessed it!) Simon Belmont, who is, coincedentally, questing to find a cure for Dracula's curse, since once it reaches it's peak, Dracula will be revived. It happens, Dracula comes back, and you throw fire at his feet until he dies. Seriously, this game was bad.

1748 - Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA), starring Juste Belmont. Dracula does not appear, although his castle does. The game had bad sound, but an awesome decorative sense, if you know what I mean. ;)

1792 - Dracula X/Rondo of Blood/Whatever you feel like calling it (TG16), starring Richter (or should I say 'Richiter'?) Belmont. The only game never to be localized in English (the crappy port doesn't count), which is a shame, since the game rocks...I just don't know what's going on. I'll have to borrow a friend's PSP to play it in Engrish later this year...

1797 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSX), starring Dracula, that unendingly awesome, trash-talking cool-dude. Let's see what he has to say on the subject of church:

Dracula: It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was called here by humans, who wish to pay me tribute.
Richter: Tribute!? You steal men's souls, and make them your slaves!
Dracula: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions...

OH SNAP

But seriously, the game was awesome. Starring Alucard (it's "Dracula" spelled backwards, see? Cuz' he's a good guy!) and Richter and Mario Maria and the Succubus.

1830 - Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA), starring Nathan Graves, whose family, along with the Baldwins (whoever they are) apparently had helped the Belmonts in the past. Dracula shows up, then gets knocked down again by a kid who bleaches his hair...

1844 - Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64), starring somebody, but the 64 games are complete and utter trash, so I never finished either.

1852 - Castlevania 64 (N64), and apparently Konami thinks so too, cuz' there's nothing but the game's title on this poster here.

1917 - Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS), starring Jonathan Morris and Charlotte Aulin, not to mention Death, who's really, really neat in this one. Dracula DIES at the end, but not for long. (It should be noted that Jonny's dad, Quincy Morris--sound familiar?--starred in the Genesis Castlevania; Castlevania Bloodlines, but that game sucked, and the only thing on it on the chart is a little blurb about Quincy killing Dracula in 1897.)

1944 - Okay, my mistake. Bloodlines (SG) took place in 1917, and PoR happened in 1944. My bad. Totally. Sorry Quincy. Eric LeCarde helps Quincy out in this one, and shows up in PoR too.

2035 - Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA), starring the totally not-at-all effeminate Soma Cruz, a japanese guywho you'd normally care less about, if not for the fact that he can wield a teddy bear like NOBODY'S BUSINESS. Dracula's castle gets trapped in a solar eclipse, and Soma gains the ability to absorb souls somehow. (Dracula's castle was actually in the sun since 1999, when some Japanese priestess sealed him in there, along with the help of the Belnades, Belmonts, and Alucard. Thus stopping Dracula from regenerating. Soma gets sucked into the eclipse in 2035, so...yeah.)

2036 - Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS), one again starring the manly Soma Cruz, only this time he's not fighting Dracula, but some weird cult who wants to bring Dracula back. This game is noted for having terrible, non-Ayame Kojim artwork. **** you Igarashi...**** you to heck.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Smash Daddy said:
If only Castlevania were more popular and the content of a lot of his possible moves weren't either religious or based around crosses...
The Castlevania series is pretty popular...at least, popular enough for over fifteen games to be made about it!

Kunitsuna said:
My concern is that, for obvious reasons added to the new ´games for everyone´ philosophy of the Wii, Nintendo will aim to make Super Smash Bros. Brawl E-rated. The ESRB may not agree to this if they have Simon throwing crosses about, and even a renaming may not be enough. I think it´s a possibility that if Simon made it into SSBB he would be cut in the US release.
First of all, Brawl isn't going in that direction. Ninty has enough stuff going on for the casual crowd that if Brawl is rated T, it won't affect them in the slightest. And to be technical, while he does throw "crosses" around, they're not "crosses" as in the thing Jesus dies on, just an "X" shape, which happens to be called a 'cross'.

The Grand Cross is, of course, a different story.

If Simon did make it into Brawl, he certainly wouldn't be cut from the US version. 1. There'd be a massive uprising because we didn't get a character, and because Japan would still be able to use him against us over WiFi, and 2. Japan likes the Castlevania series, but the US LOVES it.

Wiseguy said:
UPDATE! Probably my last one until Monday. I need time to think of new ideas...
I do agree with your take on Bowser's Castle, but that underground tune you're thinking of? Not in the castles, just in (most of) the pipes. Luigi's Mansion is a no-brainer...I think it was a battle stage in Double Dash!! if I'm thinking straight. Warp Stone? BUT HE'S SCOTTISH!!

Actually, Fox's new look is from Command - not Assault.
Chief Mendez said:
So we now have a Command-esque Fox...
I've posted links to your Simon and Gray Fox movesets in my update, Mendez so everyone can read them. Great job on both.
Finally...the recognition I so dearly deserve. I'd like to thank all the little people...

Wrong. Adventures was an exceptional Zelda rip off. Hey, if you are going to steal from a game series - you might as well steal from the best.
Zelda never had such generic puzzles or boring enemies, though.

I fail to understand your logic. Why would you like the game any more if it had a different title? A great game is still a great game, by any other name.
Because I loved SF64, and going in, I expected some space-shooting action. I got a little, but what was there was pathetic and badly-placed. The whole time my experience was marred by a little voice in my head asking "why isn't Fox in a spaceship shooting down enemy squadrons? Why is this intergalactic mercenary wasting his time picking mushrooms!?"

As Ferro showed with his moveset, it's possible to have great a moveset consisting of both Midna's Magicl hair and Twili energy as well as the Wolf's bite and claw attacks.
Hmm...I'm not toally against Wolf Link after seeing Ferro's moveset, but I'm still partial to the freedom solo Midna would have in her moveset possibilities.

Wolf Link also has access to Midna's energy field which allows him to attack muliple enemies at once.
...Which took away the only advantage Wolf Link has in combat: his speed. And by the Snowpeak Ruins, most enemies you fight are immune to it anyway.

Interesting. Having casual gamers review casual gamers does make sense. Personally, I'd give the game an 8.5/10.
Really? Despite it being my first DS game, since it came with my DS, I rarely play it anymore, and when I do, I'm not motivated enough to do anything. I'd side with EGM and slap a big ol' 5 on it.

I disagree that the series aren't concerned with it. OoT, MM & TP in particular fit together nicely and are very self referential. OoT and WW are also the same way. The Stafox games also have stories that fit together - and some fans of the series have have a strong appreciation for the stories and characters (though I admittedly don't care as much for the SF plotlines as I do the Zelda ones, but you get my point).
Okay, let me rephrase that: "the series aren't dependent on their chronology, like something like the Xenosaga games or the Half-Life games are".

Does a Starfox game have to be a shooter to be considered "real"? Is Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga not a "real" Mario game because it isn't a platformer?
No, it isn't. It's a "Mario RPG". The only real "Mario games" are the platformers, and the only real "Zelda games" are the top-down or 3D adventures, and the only real "Metroid games" are the ones that aren't pinball games (awesome as Prime Pinball was...).

YOU FOOOOOOL! I deliberately misquoted Tingle's magic words so that I wouldn't be stealing them! Now that you have stolen Tingle's secret magic words, we are all DOOMED! The wrath of the Tingle will consume us all! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Hee hee, do not fear, for I am allowed to steal the words, because you see...

I AM THE TINGLE!!

On a related note, the Tingle RPG, now called "Freshly Picked: Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland" has been confirmed as a EU release. With this, I can finlly play what is already THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME.

O D I N said:
Castlevania is fantastic. There really hasn't been a bad one since Castlevania 2.
You didn't play Castlevania 64...

Kunitsuna said:
I beg to differ; while the portable adaptations are wonderful, I don´t think there´s a single 3D Castlevania game that is outstanding. They´re passable at best.
Maybe the PS2 ones are 'passable', but the N64 incarnations are pure trash.

...and not the cool "Jerry Springer" trash, either. The bad kind. That smells like poop.

Arteen said:
For the sake of argument, let's say that the SSBB team does consider continuity to be an issue. If they go with TP Zelda, then she loses her OoT-based moveset; no more Din's Fire, Faore's Wind, Nayru's love, or Sheik. She would necessarily require a different moveset. No character's B moves were significantly changed from SSB to SSBM, and we have no evidence so far that returning characters will have significantly different B moves in SSBB. If that's the case, the team will at least retain her Melee B moves, which (for the sake of continuity) would require her to have her OoT look, which would make it likely for Sheik to return.
But if continuity is that big of an issue, wouldn't they want her in Tp form even moreso? It's not like she's anything but a very important character in the series, and if coninuity is as big an issue to the developers as you suggest, they'd certainly take the time to craft a new, TP-inspired moveset.

Still, we don't yet know how the switch works with Samus, and that switch is likely to only be one-way.
A can of worms, this topic is. If it's a one-way switch, then no one will use Samus competitively. At the very least, there must be an option (unlockable or no) to play as Zamus or Samus exsclusively.

I like Krystal much more in Command than in Adventures or Assault (although everything was portrayed badly in Assault).
How did she learn that perfect British accent!?

Or is he less likely because Konami already has one rep and the team wants to include reps from other series? I guess we won't know that until we know the whole Brawl roster.
That's assuming the team is actively searching for more 3rd party players. But let's not get into this discussion...we just have to wait and see.

A caveat is that the Metal Gear games originated on a Nintendo system, making its relation to Nintendo a significant one even if the series' biggest games are on the PS2.
Actually, Metal Gear was originally an MSX (obscure, dead, Japan only console, don't worry about it) game. Anyway, even though the NES port was better than the original version, the game still didn't sell that well, and was only really popular with MGS.

Snake really is a weird choice for a 3rd party character.

I find it strange that you're such a proponent of including not only a character from a game you haven't played, but he's from a game you don't even want to play and he's admittedly little more than "Not Impossible" to be included.
Yeah, ceriously. Where's the Black Mage love?

A quick scan of the internet seems to put SMB1, 3, World, and 64 ahead of NSMB in total sales, with NSMB second only in Japan, but I couldn't find any sites with good numbers. But the point is still essentially the same. Like I said above, I don't think Mario needs another rep, and he still isn't nearly as significant as the other Mario characters on the roster.

Take that!

Anyways, most reviews rate Assault as mediocre, so I would rather the SSBB team focus on the more popular, better-rated entries in the series.
Like Command (and not Adventures)!

But seriously, we've already seen an Assault-inspired stage (Lylat Cruise), so apparently Sakurai hasn't completely written off the game, flawed as it was.

The Starfox games are very aware of the previous games in the series. They all take place chronologically, with characters coming and going, the team changing, disbanding, and reforming, and events in previous games are recalled in the later games.
Tell that to Command. 9 different endings each telling the most ludicrous tales (
G-ZERO? Krystal in StarWolf? Slippy dead?
)...I pity the team chosen to make the next chronological StarFox.

Anyway, my point is that the SF games, just like the Zelda titles, don't present their storylines as the primary (or even secondary) reasons for playing. They're more of a little something extra for hardcore fans to enjoy.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I have to say, Assualt was pretty bad in my opinion. I grew up with SF64 (One of my favorite "shooters" ever). And when I heard Assualt was coming out, I was excited at the chance for a SF64-esque game on the Cube. Instead, I got a 3 SF64 esque levels, and 7 crappy land missions. >_> This is just my opinion, and I'm not looking to offend anyone who did enjoy it.

SF:Command was alright. It brought it back to the flight missions (which is really what SF was all about), and made a good use of the DS controls. A few problems here and there, but a good start for future DS titles (if).

The Castlevania moveset you gave was awesome Mendez. ^_^ You're pretty good at those. And everyone is right, I have forgotten about those 3-D games. Though I enjoyed CoD (didn't finish it, but I liked it, for what it's worth).

Castlevania is about as popular as Metroid (in the sense that it has a smaller group following it then say, people following Metal Gear, or Zelda, or Mario). Metroid and Castlevania fall into that sidescrolling category that so many people these days (a lot of people I know anyway) have forgotten about. From what little I played of MP:H, I didn't like the controls. But I know so many other people did. I can only pray that Nintendo won't forget about sidescrolling Metroid. I can't tell you how many times I've gone through Fusion and Zero mission. So good...

Sorry for the rant. >>

More talking tomorrow.

axi0n

Smash Apprentice
This is a mixture of what I would like to see and what I think could happen.

Mario Series (7)

01) Mario
02) Luigi
03) Bowser
04) Jr. Bowser/Shadow Mario
05) Princess Peach
06) Petey Piranha
07) Paper Mario

Zelda Series (5)

08) Link
09) Young Link *Wind Waker
10) Zelda *No Sheik
11) Ganondorf *Sword from TP
12) Wolf Link & Midna

Pokemon Series (5)

13) Pikachu
14) Jigglypuff
15) Mewtwo
16) Blaziken
17) Lucario

Donkey Kong Series (2)

18) Donkey Kong
19) Diddy & Dixie Kong

Metroid Series (2)

20) Samus/Zero Suit
21) Ridley

Kirby Series (3)

22) Kirby
23) Meta-Knight
24) Dedede

Star Fox Series (3)

25) Fox
26) Falco
27) Krystal

Fire Emblem Series (3)

28) Ike
29) Ephraim
30) Lyn

Other (8)

31) Yoshi
32) Wario
33) Ness
34) Captain Falcon
35) Ice Climbers
36) Pit
37) Captain Olimar
38) Mii

3rd-Party (2)

39) Snake
40) Sonic

Btw, I'm new here, first post lol :laugh:

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
See, Drascin? About as n00by as you can get (no offense), yet ther he/she/it/potato is, posting his/her/it's/potato's first post on this very thread.

O D I N said:
Though I enjoyed CoD (didn't finish it, but I liked it, for what it's worth).
Definitely an improvement from Lament of Innocence, but still not what I'd call "Castlevania".

O D I N said:
Castlevania is about as popular as Metroid (in the sense that it has a smaller group following it then say, people following Metal Gear, or Zelda, or Mario). Metroid and Castlevania fall into that sidescrolling category that so many people these days (a lot of people I know anyway) have forgotten about. From what little I played of MP:H, I didn't like the controls. But I know so many other people did. I can only pray that Nintendo won't forget about sidescrolling Metroid. I can't tell you how many times I've gone through Fusion and Zero mission. So good...
Good call on that. The games are popular enough, and do sell well, but they just don't have the mainstream recognition of Mario or Pokemon.

And the controls in Hunters take a long time to get used to; it's no surprise you don't like them from only playing for a bit. Though once you do get the hang of it, it's just pure awesome.

axi0n said:
Mario Series (7)

01) Mario
02) Luigi
03) Bowser
05) Princess Peach
06) Petey Piranha
07) Paper Mario
Not so sure about Petey Pirahna...he hasn't really made much of a splash, y'know? Other than that, this part's fine.

axi0n said:
Zelda Series (5)

08) Link
10) Zelda *No Sheik
12) Wolf Link & Midna
Perfectly acceptable, if not what I'd wish for personally.

axi0n said:
Pokemon Series (5)

13) Pikachu
14) Jigglypuff
15) Mewtwo
16) Blaziken
17) Lucario
The only bones to pick here are Mewtwo and Blaziken. Uh...see Wiseguy's write-up on Mewtwo on the first post for that. Blaziken's problem is that it's a starter, and up til' now, we haven't seen any starter Pokemon be anything but either pokeball Pokemon, or lower than that (a Totodile trophy). Also, Blaziken has little or no importance in the anime and movies.

axi0n said:
Donkey Kong Series (2)

18) Donkey Kong
19) Diddy & Dixie Kong
Diddy and Dixie NOT for the win. The team idea has already been covered, and, while neat in some respects, didn't really pan out all that well. Plus, Diddy's way cooler than Dixie.

axi0n said:
Metroid Series (2)

20) Samus/Zero Suit
21) Ridley
This is actually the most likely situation, but Dark Samus might fit in there as a clone.

axi0n said:
Kirby Series (3)

22) Kirby
23) Meta-Knight
24) Dedede
Yup, yup.

axi0n said:
Star Fox Series (3)

25) Fox
26) Falco
27) Krystal
If not Falco, Wolf. Either way, this is what I think will happen. Personally, I desire Andross, but...

axi0n said:
Fire Emblem Series (3)

28) Ike
29) Ephraim
30) Lyn
Ephraim (despite being cool and lance-wielding) starred in one of the least popular games in the franchise, and apparently Lyn isn't liked by the Japanese (stupid Japanese). I personally would have no problem with this set-up, but it's not very likely.

axi0n said:
Other (8)

31) Yoshi
32) Wario
33) Ness
34) Captain Falcon
35) Ice Climbers
36) Pit
37) Captain Olimar
38) Mii
Ice Climbers? There probably won't be two team characters (your suggested Diddy/Dixie pair), and the Ice Climbers need to make room for fresher retro (oxymoron!) characters, like Mach Rider or Balloon Fighter.

axi0n said:
3rd-Party (2)

39) Snake
40) Sonic
No Simon? Tsk tsk tsk...

Overall, it's a fine list.

Personally: 8/10
Realistically: 6.5/10

And don't be a stranger; the moar the merrier here at Mendez's Wiseguy's thread!

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
That makes sense.

On an unrelated note, did the moron who revealed the Black Knight's identity on the BK thread cover up the spoiler yet?
Yeah, it's gone now (well, covered up but at least it's not in your face anymore >_>).

Still no word on GoD's international release, though that gives me time to play through PoR again, and focus on units that I plan to use in the next game.

Chief Mendez said:
On a related note, the Tingle RPG, now called "Freshly Picked: Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland" has been confirmed as a EU release. With this, I can finlly play what is already THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME.
So it is being released here after all (and is bypassing America for some reason). Guess I'll pick it up at some point, and we'll see if it opens my eyes to the wonder that is Tingle.

Phantom Hourglass has also just been released in Japan, so we'll get to see how that game pans out.

:034:

Smash Hero
Axion - I disagree!

Mario series: (5)
Mario
Luigi (Still a Mario Clone)
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario

Zelda series: (5)
Link
TP Zelda
TP Ganondorf
Wolf Link/Midna
Skull Kid

Pokémon series: (4)
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Suduwoodo (hey, everyone can have a suprise character. This is mine =P)

Donkey Kong series: (2)
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong

Kirby series: (3)
Kirby
DeDeDe
Metaknight

Fire Emblem series: (3)
Marth
Ike
Black Knight

Metroid series: (4)
Samus
Zero Suit Samus (yes, I think they're different characters)
Ridley
Dark Samus (Samus Clone)

F-Zero series: (2)
Captain Falcon
Black Shadow (Captain Falcon Clone)

Star Fox series: (3)
Fox McCloud
Wolf O' Donnell
Krystal

Other series: (8)
Wario
Pit
Balloon Fighter
Yoshi
Ness
Stafy (a Japanese series, maybe another try to raise popularity in America?)
Captain Olimar
Mii's

Third Party: (3)
Snake
Sonic
Mega Man

39 original characters and 3 clones, 42 characters in total.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Gray Fox would most likely be a cameo in the Shadow Moses stage. Can't seem him as a character. I'd rather see other Third-parties.

Smady

Smash Master
In Castlevania games themselves it´s not a problem; in the beginning they did change the name to Boomerang like Chief mentioned, but nowadays translations are accurate and refer to it as a cross.

Still rooting for him, though!
Yaa... He'd be one of the more badass additions. A realistic, old-school character. Maybe his appearance would spark new interest in the series beyond what it had before ala Marth?

Thanks Wisey. It's good to be back. I left midway between our Dx3 discussion. Have you changed your opinion yet? :lol:

Smady

Smash Master
This is a mixture of what I would like to see and what I think could happen.
Okey dokey. Although there are quite a few problems in my opinion...

Mario Series (7)

01) Mario
02) Luigi
03) Bowser
05) Princess Peach
06) Petey Piranha
07) Paper Mario
Okay... Paper Mario? No. We don't need another Dr.Mario-esque clone of Mario, there is little to differentiate Mario from Paper Mario apart from the style, which could be represented by a stage. Petey Pirahna is way too obscure and doesn't deserve a spot, moreover. Although I respect your use of the more origional characters, they're not important enough.

I also am not sure about the transformation for Bowser Jr. to Shadow Mario. Two Mario clones? Eh... No. I don't like the idea of three Marios, which is what your roster here would produce.

Zelda Series (5)

08) Link
10) Zelda *No Sheik
12) Wolf Link & Midna
No Sheik indeed!

No real problems here, although it's fifty/fifty for me whether Midna will be alone or riding Wolf Link.

Pokemon Series (5)

13) Pikachu
14) Jigglypuff
15) Mewtwo
16) Blaziken
17) Lucario
Blaziken - no. Everything else is fine. Blaziken can easily be reprimanded by a simple Pokemon appearance.

Donkey Kong Series (2)

18) Donkey Kong
19) Diddy & Dixie Kong
I'd rather have K. Rool with the exclusion of Paper Mario/Petey Pirahna. The whole Diddy/Dixie tag team idea has been said before. I hate the idea, it would suck. Diddy doesn't need Dixie to have a respectable moveset.

Metroid Series (2)

20) Samus/Zero Suit
21) Ridley
No arguments here. Dark Samus would be nice, but that may be pushing it.

Kirby Series (3)

22) Kirby
23) Meta-Knight
24) Dedede

Star Fox Series (3)

25) Fox
26) Falco
27) Krystal
Again, no real arguments. I'd rather have Wolf than Krystal/Falco, though. I'd rather have Fox/Wolf/Falco to be precise.

Fire Emblem Series (3)

28) Ike
29) Ephraim
30) Lyn
No. Way. They won't get rid of Marth and Roy. Roy I think will go, but you can't employ an entirely new FE team. That's just harsh. I believe it'll be Marth, Ike and maybe Black Knight as a villain representative.

Other (8)

31) Yoshi
32) Wario
33) Ness
34) Captain Falcon
35) Ice Climbers
36) Pit
37) Captain Olimar
38) Mii
Ice Climbers and Mii... Nah. Ice Climbers are pretty much definitely gone. They have no use in the generation we're in, and their surprise has been short-lived. They're also really annoying. Throw Balloon Fighter in in their place.

3rd-Party (2)

39) Snake
40) Sonic

Btw, I'm new here, first post lol :laugh:
Nothing wrong with your third-party suggestions. A great first post, welcome to the Smash boards! I'll give your 'Brawl prediction... 6/10. There are improvements needed in a few areas, but it's an amazing effort and imaginative. :psycho:

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Yay! Super Paper Mario is not what it could've been.
It's strange how everyone thinks it is disappointing, but Super Paper Mario received better scores all-around than any other game in the series, averaging between a 9.0 and 9.5 out of 10.

Okay, let me rephrase that: "the series aren't dependent on their chronology, like something like the Xenosaga games or the Half-Life games are".
You might want to consider re-phrasing that again, unless I'm misunderstanding you. If I am, I apologize. Windwaker is very dependent on the events that occured in Ocarina of Time. Without the Hero of Time from the first, the Link in Windwaker would have never been.

IE: The Link in OoT was the reason that the kids on his island had to dress up as him as they came of age. He's also the reason why the Master Sword was hidden away from Gannondorf's reach.

Smady

Smash Master
I'd buy Super Paper Mario if Nintendo decided to get off their fat ***** and bring it to Europe. Apart from the new DragonBall Z game I've not played anything on the Wii.

Top Bottom