• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

Saymus

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, even those these are just some friendlies, they should be more than enough to claim Hylian's self-appointed fastest Samus title.
No, you need to slow down.

(So does Hylian probably >_> heh)

edit: (Wes thinks the same. Just saying... if you still want to be that "fastest Samus," fine, but it's not going to make you a better Samus...)

(You should have watched me play Jumpfreak's Fox/Falcon. Or Silent Wolf's for that matter.)

AIDS

Smash Lord
No, you need to slow down.

(So does Hylian probably >_> heh)

edit: (Wes thinks the same. Just saying... if you still want to be that "fastest Samus," fine, but it's not going to make you a better Samus...)

(You should have watched me play Jumpfreak's Fox/Falcon. Or Silent Wolf's for that matter.)
that is not an issue as long as his spacing, aproach, mindgames, etc. are not negatively effected by his fast gameplay, i would say a calm, more effective edge gaurd for hylian, and Aftermath is good, but i recall you get ***** by sheiks.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Lunaris' Sheik is the most recent one I've played and I don't think I got that *****, and looking at the vids, I was doing some really stupid things such as attacking his shield far too often and recklessly. The people watching said I could have probably pulled out a win if I hadn't done that so much, which also had cost me matches against Omar and DSF when I played them at the larger tournaments earlier. Other than mew2king, I don't think there's a Sheik that would **** me though, so I'm not sure where you're getting that.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Lunaris' Sheik is the most recent one I've played and I don't think I got that *****, and looking at the vids, I was doing some really stupid things such as attacking his shield far too often and recklessly. The people watching said I could have probably pulled out a win if I hadn't done that so much, which also had cost me matches against Omar and DSF when I played them at the larger tournaments earlier. Other than mew2king, I don't think there's a Sheik that would **** me though, so I'm not sure where you're getting that.
do you recall playing Dieslows sheik? at i think a GC tournament?

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Yep, that was the last tournament I went to before I stopped playing for about 6 months. I was pretty angry that the Canadians were all coaching the person playing me how to win, so I decided to quit playing, which I did until about a week ago, so good game? If I remember correctly, I didn't even finish the set, but just left after the first game or something.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Yep, that was the last tournament I went to before I stopped playing for about 6 months. I was pretty angry that the Canadians were all coaching the person playing me how to win, so I decided to quit playing, which I did until about a week ago, so good game? If I remember correctly, I didn't even finish the set, but just left after the first game or something.
lol yes, us supporting each other was incorrect? lol i recall you got made pulled out your controller and left, i was surprized at that, but with this being said, do you not feel Sheik(the gay one) is somthing that highly counters your playing style?

E P I C

Smash Journeyman
****, Aftermath did that?? Blasphemy!! There musta been a ***** of a crowd lol.. I hate when that happens.. Just thank god KillaOR wasnt there o.O..

AIDS

Smash Lord
i was not there, but i recall this being big news, plus dieslow fights as gey as he can, he like learns all of M2K's trix.

Saymus

Smash Apprentice
that is not an issue as long as his spacing, aproach, mindgames, etc. are not negatively effected by his fast gameplay,
I'm saying "slow down" as in like "think more, act less," in order to make things more efficient.

I mean, Aftermath has a good Samus, it's just the "advice" I'm giving. I haven't even watched the vids. But my advice is as good as what I could say from critiquing the vids, if not better.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Well, the problem I run into with slowing down is that I find it easier to create openings and punish things when I am putting the pressure on the opponent, rather than just look out for mistakes and punish them, or take time to wait for them to get in a poor situation. I do need to work on how I vary my game versus different characters and get better at adapting to styles quickly, but by moving quickly I try to force the opponent where I want and to move how I want, thereby creating advantageous situations for myself.

I guess in critiques I would just want people to point out where certain things didn't work specifically, with or without some suggestions, so I can go back and work on what I do in those kinds of situations. For my game, there's not really such a thing as situational, since the opponent is normally well controlled by me, or doing predictable combos that their character relies on.

I think that I do need to work on more active thinking during a match, rather than just basing it off of insticts, so hopefully later videos will show some improvement in that regard.

AIDS

Smash Lord
I'm saying "slow down" as in like "think more, act less," in order to make things more efficient.

I mean, Aftermath has a good Samus, it's just the "advice" I'm giving. I haven't even watched the vids. But my advice is as good as what I could say from critiquing the vids, if not better.
ok yeah i agree with that then, sorry i thought you where reffering more into there technical skill play, sorry for the correction.

Samus Syndrome

Smash Apprentice
some vids of me playin. advice would be nice so i can be prepared for gettin owned @ pound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d04knOF1KEY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFfPZJdYlYU

-sorry about the frame rate, pine's comp sucks balls
Pretty good...

Maybe try sweetspotting with your u-b a little more (grapples are good but sweetspotting is better if you don't think you will be edgehogged). Your teching could use a little work too. Your mindgames are very impressive as well.

And if I might add....my OPINION is that MC'd missiles are GENERALLY better.

50 mins????

Over all, very good. Just a couple things you might work on.

I play very similar to you (minus the grapple recoveries) so I might have missed a couple things. Listen to the other DCs as well.

Saymus

Smash Apprentice
I think that I do need to work on more active thinking during a match, rather than just basing it off of insticts, so hopefully later videos will show some improvement in that regard.
Cool.

(I'll take a look at those vids soon... though my Ganon experience isn't much)

Rat

Smash Lord
-Aftermath

I'm not sure what advice I can give you but I'll throw out some words. And oh, I think I've played you before but you might not remember. This was a couple years ago back when I lived in WA state, and i used to play jigglypuff. My first high caliber tournament was with SKYPAL and my first round fight was against either you or Kei. I think kei's fox stomped me then I faced you in the loser's. What i remember was that I was owning you during friendlies but then you kicked my face off with missiles during the tournament game. Good stuffz.

Anyways:

vs. Eggz

Here are a few ideas.

A few things to try. Eggz constant approach was FJ/DJ or drop through a platform aerial. Throw in punishment with shield UpB. Don't get baited up there. He also worked hard on Baiting the WD back. Jab -> SHFFL Nair aimed behind you. FJ aerials placed at the back top of your head.

Also you did not follow your Dsmashes up very well. PC or FJ missile is great to make them DJ, but try this one. I stole this one from Hugs btw. After a Dsmash, just jump at them. This is a bait for them to DJ which you follow up with DJ bair. Edgehog, dead. If they don't DJ just don't DJ and kick them in the face. Key to this: Listen to their controller. If you hear press press press press press, you know they trying to jump.

Good things: Missile, then Charge shot their get-up. SHFFMC, too good. Some good variation of approaches.

vs Balloon.
You really should of won that set.

Things that worked:
PC missile guessing game. This worked pretty good as he usually chose down, and you punished.

Nairs. They ****-sauced. You did a good job covering his approaches and that important spot right above C Falcon's forehead.

Things that didn't work:
Approaching.
This is not saying you shouldn't approach but they were getting predicted. It was almost always, SH Nair, Jab Whatever. This worked fine because you punished the Shieldgrab with SH nair, Dsmash earlier. But he just shielded, waited for a Tilt/Smash and counterattack-knee. (which usually you shielded. ) When you tried to mix it up. It didn't work. You would walk away then WD back in and attack the same spot. Instead try this mix-up, walk/wd behind, then CC and wait for a response. If they Bair you, great free Dsmash. Roll into you, Jab Grab or dsmash. If they roll away, it gives you space to set up your Platform game or to reset with WD Jab whatever, walk-in Ftilt, walk Nair. If they jump maybe run and reset a missile, anticipate and Nair/Fair, or bait a dair/Fair/Bair and UpB. Wait I take this back. You only did this mix up maybe 3 times at most. And each time it was slightly different.

Edgeguarding
Missiles are good but you always shoot them. Just stand there and Utilt. If he's UpBing above you, he has pretty much 3 choices. You want him to pick the edge so you can Utilt it. If he picks the stage, he will probably shield or roll after, respond appropriately. If he picks a platform, thats great. Success is a player above you on a platform.

You did a great job, and really should of won. As it was seen in the 2nd match. The third match was your nerves killing you. Personally I think small stages and moving stages give samus the advantage vs C Falcon. I would suggest practicing running around shooting missiles on Rainbow Cruise, just for comforts sake.

Time your nairs lower.

Few questions:
Dtilt Bomb?
I can only see this working if they tech then shield. I think there are better options than that.
instead:
Dtilt Tech chase
Dtilt Jab (put them in shield) anticipate roll away or counterattack aerial and punish.
Dtilt Ftilt combo.

So yeah, great job though. I'll try to get a video up soon so you can rip my game up too. I also think you could of beat eggz, he seemed scared the first match.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Wow, really useful post, thanks. Now that you mention it, I do remember you from SKYPAL. I think I said I won since you were probably nervous in your first tournament. Sort of funny, as I obviously still get some problems with not keeping calm during matches.

Dtilt bomb works on fastfallers, and if done correctly will usualy net you a dair to smash, or sweetspotted bair. Looking back now, I'm not sure what I was trying at all lol, I'm supposed to WD with their DI before bombing, so maybe I was just trying to think about something and stalling for a bit of time. I do the dtilt jab every now and then against certain characters, since there's a good exploit to always hit with fsmash on someone shielding.

I'll try what you suggested from HugS, I've already worked listening to controllers into my game, so it'll be cool to see how well this one works out.

I'll try the mix up you suggested, i'll have to work on WDing to turn-around crouch so I can fair them if I see them jump.

But yeah, I'm planning on working on the edgehop missile thing where you regrab the edge then working on learning how to move well on the random stages, as you saw, I'm definitely out of my element on moving ones, <3 YS.

Against Eggz I got pretty discouraged after he shinespiked me and had a lot of hesitation for the rest of the set. While I was away from melee my game against Fox suffered most and I just like lost confidence completely after that point.

Rat

Smash Lord
No worries on the confidence part. It happens. I loved the end of the game on Dream Land where you just crouch canceled, you probably said something or sighed really loud, but it looked like Eggz was confused. Is he really just crouching there? If I jab him, will he stop? Oh well, Nair.

With the run behind crouch, you don't need to turn around. As if they counter attack, you auto-turn around. It can also set you up for well spaced bairs (safest Aerial imo.) You can also try WD turn around crouch. This is considering you can't cc out of your initial running animation.

I'll try that bomb idea, it sounds cool.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'd WD turn around crouch, it's the only way I move around now.

As for bairing, I think it'd depend on %, it'd be good at higher %s, but if you use the fair, it can lead into another attack or two depending on % and character, meaning that I could tack on about 4-10% more and as long as my reaction time is good, the opponent shouldnt get a chance to hit me out of the fair.

AIDS

Smash Lord
not bad but calm down with the Fair and Up Smash, if you wanna make your samus a bit faster practise wave dashing off platforms, like jump from below and wavedash onto them and u can slide off into a missle or and Air atack etc.

less grabbing, grabing with samus is hard to perform at higher levels. but experiance will lead to better decition making but i would but this as a start and make sure you L cancle everything, etc.

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing Samus for a little less than 2 weeks now, please rate it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nFM3U3_6ePQ
Note* - I know about the Usmashes, they were mistakes.
One of the main points I can make about this is to short hop. Short hopping ariels means you can fall down with an ariel fast, this allows you to dish out attacks quickly and effectively. Also, it allows you to PMC quickly on stages with lower platforms like Pokemon stadium and yoshis story(on stages like battlefield and dreamland you have to double jump instead of shorthop). If your having trouble shorthopping, try quickly flicking on the bottom of the x button, so your thumb moves off the x button without ever lifting it back up. I find that this helps out a lot. The short hop is key for all characters, samus is definitly no exception.

Your tossing out the grapple too much, and are getting punished for it. In my opinion, it should be used mostly when the enemy is shielding, because otherwise you have other, safer, options. Try using a missle(or shorthopping a missle ;)) or even wavedash to ftilt, fsmash, or if your close enough, jab.

Just basicly watch the samus, please tell me what you think of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORxZUvGZiEc

He can do alot more, that video was prioritized on missle canceling.
Try mixing in homing missles into that too :p (used on the platform, not the ground). I didnt watch the whole video cause it was loading so slowly, but tap off instead of drop through of the platform when you want to move around the stage the stage. Wether it is moving forward to edgeguard, or backward to play defencively, this is useful. Also, you can use a hoping missle canceled on the ground if you tap off of the platform. Otherwise the PMC was good :).
I dont think i can comment on anything besides the platform missle cancel because they were against boozer bots hehe

AIDS

Smash Lord
your edge guarding is to rushed, not spaced well, the marth you are versing is also a bit low quality opponent. more mindgame edge guarding, and calmer, time it right to punish, use the invaincability you get from grabing the edge wise, if you grab the ledge, ledge hop, and arial, your airial will always win, if you have those invincability frames.
Less Fair, Nair has more priority.
to much Dair attempts, try for Nairs to kill, less Dair
be carfull off the edge, yor samus who can have long life spand, do not waist it
at 6:30 that spacing with bomb jump was bad, if marth was smart, he could just walk up a bit Fsmash tipper and you are dead.
sweet spot the edge with up B

and yeah thats enough for now...

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm happy to see this place still trying to be used, but, my hard working video critics, you may release yourselves from this thread.

If anything, you've done good work, and I appreciate it... we all do!

Thanks Samus Players

See you next mission

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I'm surprised that people here still cares about rating each other's vids, haha. The other char specific boards are dead. Well, the least I could say is... keep up the good work (just like in the old days...)

AIDS

Smash Lord
Brawl for me is to much of a disapointment to switch over, the old days will live on, pretty much is that way through out all of Melee's community.

AIDS

Smash Lord
hyrule temple is banned through out most areas for good reasons, work on your spacing, stop rolling al together pretty much. your teams are not great, but samus teams and samus singles are so differant, way differant style, i can make better info when i see your singles. for doubles the main thing is positioning, spacing, and helping your team mate. ofcourse seperate yourselves and try to make it into like 2 singles matches, with in one map, and help when needed. but let me know when your singles are up.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I guess it is too late to mention that the whole point in me making this thread was so that I could garner all of the information from some of the best Sami on these boards and use all of it to make My Sammy SUPREME!!!!!

*evil laugh*

Nothing can stop me now!

I never noticed this thread actually did get stickied. Amazing. I am sad though that I didn't come up with the idea earlier, but w/e. GG's and such all around. No one has posted on this entire board in a while, and it has made me a little sad. But, if anyone out there is still subscribed to this thread, I may... or may not... have a video in the works >_>

AIDS

Smash Lord
Well Corey Games, my advice must have ment your power level go over 9000?
I hope to have videos soon, I am still waiting for vids, and im on the BC PR now =) 10th place CHEAH
i will let you know as soon as some matches are posted.

AIDS

Smash Lord
less side step for sure!, more wave dash out of shield and more jump Nair out of shield.
also a lot of your down smash's need to be replaced with Fsmash, like at 1:28 Fsmash woulda been better
Missle spam on platforms ***** peach, especially during recovery!
use rising grapple more often, it makes a easyer sweet spot.
to much CC, leading into west coast di(bad di!)
those are the main things i notice

Top Bottom