• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

auto sweet spot? (vid)

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
It looks like he just cancels his upward momentum on the underside of the stage and backgrabs the ledge, or maybe uses the forward ledgegrab.

Either way, shouldn't be too hard to do. Also probably isn't that useful because it requires you to be under the stage where you'll eat shinespikes/fairs.

takieddine

Smash Master
It looks like he just cancels his upward momentum on the underside of the stage and backgrabs the ledge, or maybe uses the forward ledgegrab.

Either way, shouldn't be too hard to do. Also probably isn't that useful because it requires you to be under the stage where you'll eat shinespikes/fairs.
You are mistaken, It is a true autosweetspot. He doesnt cancel his momentum on anything. In Melee only if you have downward momentum are you allowed to grab the ledge, this seems to break it, unless there is a slight downward momentum when falcon starts his upb, much like yoshi's and peach's double jumps.

D

Deleted member

You are mistaken, It is a true autosweetspot. He doesnt cancel his momentum on anything. In Melee only if you have downward momentum are you allowed to grab the ledge, this seems to break it, unless there is a slight downward momentum when falcon starts his upb, much like yoshi's and peach's double jumps.

actually you can grab the ledge as long as you are in one spot long enough wit no downward or upward momentum(example fox and falcos up B).when falcon does up b he actually loses all falling/rising momentum right before he jumps.

also with his up b there are certain frames on his up b before it ends where he can grab the ledge backwards in this case because it is battle field he goes right behing/under the ledge to force the frames to touch the ledge to create an instant grab.

ummmm i think thats it.its actually pretty simple =D

Gea

Smash Master
actually you can grab the ledge as long as you are in one spot long enough wit no downward or upward momentum(example fox and falcos up B).when falcon does up b he actually loses all falling/rising momentum right before he jumps.

also with his up b there are certain frames on his up b before it ends where he can grab the ledge backwards in this case because it is battle field he goes right behing/under the ledge to force the frames to touch the ledge to create an instant grab.

ummmm i think thats it.its actually pretty simple =D
That's not true at all. It is the properties of your character that allows to grab. If you aren't in tumble\doublejump but going in any direction (not doing any moves) you can grab the ledge, no matter what your momentum is. Ever seen some of the momentum glitches where characters are jerked up but are in freefall? You can grab the edge.

The firefox thing is a special property of his up + B (just like Shiek's). In fact you can grab the ledge with firefox while charging and DIing upwards towards the lip. That's movement.

D

Deleted member

That's not true at all. It is the properties of your character that allows to grab.
with his up b there are certain frames on his up b before it ends where he can grab the ledge backwards in this case
you dont say lol

also the firefox was an example of momentum, not when they can grab period as i explained.

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah... but this still isn't true. The up + Bs were hardcoded to allow you to grab the edge at certain times... not because you pause.

D

Deleted member

Yeah... but this still isn't true. The up + Bs were hardcoded to allow you to grab the edge at certain times... not because you pause.
you dont say lol

also the firefox was an example of momentum, not when they can grab period as i explained.
like i stated im not talking about theyre move at all i just gave a quick example of no momentum because their forward b stops all momentum but doesnt grab until the dash.

sheesh lol

EDIT: im not gonna lie that was the first thing i thought of so i put it. it is a terrible example so i apologize for that hahaha!

but yeah to the others who may be confused still,basically certain characters have special frame spots on their bodies wich allows for an insta-grab during certain animations/situations.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Wow this looks awesome. Another option for getting back onto the stage? Yes please! Especially with C.Falcons uber-predictable recovery. And especially especially on BF, where your options for getting back onto the stage are minimal to none as Falcon.
How do you do this btw? I cant get it to work... Does it only work on BF?
Also probably isn't that useful because it requires you to be under the stage where you'll eat shinespikes/fairs.
Don't be stupid.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
Wow this looks awesome. Another option for getting back onto the stage? Yes please! Especially with C.Falcons uber-predictable recovery. And especially especially on BF, where your options for getting back onto the stage are minimal to none as Falcon.
How do you do this btw? I cant get it to work... Does it only work on BF?
\
i have no idea how this works, i havent tried it yet. im sure its only on BF.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Don't be stupid? The hell?

This requires you to be right up under the stage. That means you probably could have grabbed the ledge with your doublejump anyway, and all the extra time you spend trying to get there is going to get you edgehogged/shined/hit further under the stage by anyone who knows what they're doing.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Don't be stupid? The hell?

This requires you to be right up under the stage. That means you probably could have grabbed the ledge with your doublejump anyway, and all the extra time you spend trying to get there is going to get you edgehogged/shined/hit further under the stage by anyone who knows what they're doing.
if ur referring to the practicality of this technique, some matchups or people may not have the CF against a person/character who can reach that part of the stage on battlefield. even a shine at that point of the stage could prove fatal for the fox if timed improperly (or properly). Moreover, the CF could be in a situation where a missed sweetspot could cost him his life; this technique could more easily ensure a sweetspot and somewhat confuse the opponent.

also consider edgeguarding. for someone DI'ing inward, a CF uair inside could edgeguard a recovering opponent and this technique could ensure a safe recovery.

i think any new(?) type of recovery could be useful to falcon because he's relatively limited with what he can do compared to other top tiers. his raptor boost is just about useless for recovery, and his falcon kik, of course, has excessive vertical distance.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
It still seems too situational to be any real impact, but every little bit helps, I suppose.

Magus420

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2cOUEL9uic&fmt=18

It works when you're positioned exactly where the ceiling and wall join. On frame 14 the wall pushes you away and far enough so that only 1 of the edge grab boxes overlaps the edge (just barely I might add), and the ceiling pushes you downwards which allows you to grab the edge. You can grab it while facing backwards too.

You need to be at just the right height and also be hugging the side/underside of the stage. A tiny bit lower and the wall won't push you away and you'll slide underneath and die. A tiny bit higher and you will move up on frame 14 and it will not allow you to grab the edge.

If you happen to hold down (prevents edge grabs) when you otherwise would get it, you continue with your Up-B, so the Up-B doesn't get cancelled in any way. You just are able to grab edges at that time if you aren't moving upward and have only one edge grab box making contact with the edge.

You might be able to do this on the outer platforms of Jungle Japes as well since they also have ceilings in close proximity to walls and edges. Maybe not though since the ceilings are perfectly horizontal and you might not be able to collide with both surfaces at the same time.

D

Deleted member

It works when you're positioned exactly where the ceiling and wall join. On frame 14 the wall pushes you away and far enough so that only 1 of the edge grab boxes overlaps the edge (just barely I might add), and the ceiling pushes you downwards which allows you to grab the edge. You can grab it while facing backwards too.

You need to be at just the right height and also be hugging the side/underside of the stage. A tiny bit lower and the wall won't push you away and you'll slide underneath and die. A tiny bit higher and you will move up on frame 14 and it will not allow you to grab the edge.

If you happen to hold down (prevents edge grabs) when you otherwise would get it, you continue with your Up-B, so the Up-B doesn't get cancelled in any way. You just are able to grab edges at that time if you aren't moving upward and have only one edge grab box making contact with the edge.

You might be able to do this on the outer platforms of Jungle Japes as well since they also have ceilings in close proximity to walls and edges. Maybe not though since the ceilings are perfectly horizontal and you might not be able to collide with both surfaces at the same time.
always on top of things =D
thank you

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0

Good gravy. x_X

Eggm

Smash Hero
Those are all awesome magus.. That old one vs marth with the tech chase at the end was awesome too. Like 2 quick smart decisions and gannon ***** you. <_<

Brookman

Smash Hero
the ganon vs. marth one.

I wish Ganon had better grab range. He'd be so beastly.

We should hack melee and reprogram it and make every character on par with marth/fox/sheik/better than them

Top Bottom