• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

Corigames

Smash Hero
Here's what I think:

First thing first, you never use tilts. Tilts are very important in Samus' game and, I believe, are essential in a fight against Peach. That Peach was't amazing, just pretty good; it seemed to be on level for you, which nded up being perfect for the video. So yeah, use more tilts. Forward tilt, and up tilt namely :p

Second, you were WAYYYY too predictable. I think you did the same get-up every single time that game. Ledge hop to waveland is good, but you really need to mix it up. You got punished real hard for it after the second or third time and then on of doing it. Plus, every time you Fair'ed, you went into a downsmash. Every... single... time. It would be OK if it was an auto-combo, but evidence showed that she was able to shield it after it happened a few times.

There weren't a lot of missiles, which is OK. YS isn't a big stage, so you don't get the opportunity to spam missiles a lot. When she does get away from you though, you should have started some platform canceled missiles. That pressure on her is very good for Samus players.

You had excellent maneuverability. Ultimately though, you used it for nothing. Most SWD's just put you on the edge, and then you didn't recover well from there. Your mobility on platforms put you in positions where peach was hitting you from below. If you are going to be moving that fast, try to use it to get in a position to set up for something, which brings me to my last point.

Spacing. You seemed to lack spacing. Sometimes your moves hit very close to you, and other times you got hit before you did a move because you allowed the enemy to get too close. If you keep an eye on yours and the enemy's spacing, you would have done infinitely better. Make sure you fully grasp the extent of your attacks and theirs so that you can get the most out of every attempt to hit. Plus, this would have helped to use tilts, because they fast a long reaching as to upset her approach and to keep you relatively safe.

That's all I've got for now, but it was still a good Samus.

Samus Syndrome

Smash Apprentice
Lol, I haven't been here in forever. I'm still playing samus sometimes in Brawl so we should exchange fcs. I'll try to check this thread out more often. Completely forgot about it. Sorry...

EDIT:
Anyways... Shyne:

Up b out of shield seemed to be lacking, probably would have been useful a couple of times that I saw. Like Corey said, more tilts for sure. Too predictable on your recovery. Ledge hop to fair every once and a while would be helpful I'm sure. SWD can be fun but I would suggest charging up instead while your opponent is re-spawning.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Shyne might not have the best Samus, I wouldn't really know, but that definitely was fun to watch. :p
if you need to question hugS > him then i dunno how to help you man....
lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml-N7sFB1FY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZwllHctGuI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yABehgdlEs&NR=1

here are a phew matches of me that where posted, they are not my best in todays progress, but they are decent, a tad old. Feel free to comment.

all friendlys

Corigames

Smash Hero
AIDS:

You have a nice Samus. There's not much to comment on other than doing a few things differently that might make you a little bit better. for one, you use the F-tilt down A LOT. Against that guy, it didn't seem to matter that much, but against someone else you may have to mix it up. Secondly, The uptilit is amazing for edgegaurds. I saw you were trying to do it with the F-tilt, but you never quite got it off. I would just suggest the U-tilt. Last, the part with the charage shot. When you have it and they forgot to tech, wait for them to do something. It's your best chance. If you shoot before they move, they can react to it, while if you wait you can react to them. It's just a better situation.

Dot Eater:
Wow you got punished hard that first stock. Never, and I mean never, try to air fight a puff. You need to stay on the ground. No rolling because the puff can easily punish you with a rest, in my opinion, and it's no better for spacing than two quick WDs (I know that's not always true, but Samus' roll blows).

Do not ever try to grapple a puff unless you know that you are going to grab them. Using the grapple always comes as a risk for Samus players, because it leaves you open for a ridiculous amount of time. In the puff match-up, it's even worse. Please only grapple if it is a last resort, because, in most cases, it's just not worth it to miss.

Lastly, and most importantly, MORE BOMBS! You didn't use a single bomb in that match, aside from recovering. Bombs are what kill Jigglypuff. If you just drop a bomb and then move back or forward and drop another bomb, they can't do much. Almost any attack they do will cause them to take damage and stop the move. If you just shoot missiles and hide in bombs, you pretty much have the match set against jigglypuff. You need to use bombs for everything in this match. Trust me.

Wow, doing critiques takes me back to the old days. Such good times here in this old part of the boards. I remeber those good ol' times...

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if I'm allowed to critique someone else's vids here, but it looks like Dot_Eater could use to go into training mode on pokemon stadium and really get down the positioning for grapple beaming the ledge to get back on the stage. I think u lost like 3 of your stock from missing a ledge grapple? I'm not saying I could do better or anything I'm just saying that's an area where it's fairly obvious that you could improve. Battlefield and Pokemon Stadium are the two stages that are hardest to ledge grapple so like just practice on those until you can get the spacing memorized.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Dyeing what? T-shirts, eggs, or yarn?

Or are they dieing?
Second one, just wanted to be cool with the dieing grammer.

Edit:/ CoreyGames, you should make a section on post #1 having links to all the videos ever posted. Right down the name of the player, and make a link atatched to that name. All videos posted on this thread can be related to at the front page. =)

Corigames

Smash Hero
1st:
You had no mindgames
He mindgames you
You were missing a lot
Don't get comboed... don't get hit
LOL at the end

2nd:
Your over dependence on CCing killed you
Spacing needs improvement
You killed yourself at least once
Edge tech next time >_>

Ahhh... I love watching other people play Samus. It reminds me that I'm not alone.

AIDS

Smash Lord
When you can ledge tech a green wave like animation apears, and it clearly was not there. Some times do to certain percents, or moves you can not tech, kinda like Falco's Dair can't be tech at 20% etc.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
You don't have to actually hit a wall to be able to tech against it, you just have to be near enough at the moment you get hit.

I mean, how do you think people tech Marth's fsmash? That sends you AWAY from the ledge, but it's still techable.

AIDS

Smash Lord
You don't have to actually hit a wall to be able to tech against it, you just have to be near enough at the moment you get hit.

I mean, how do you think people tech Marth's fsmash? That sends you AWAY from the ledge, but it's still techable.
I know that, but just like when you are hit, you have tiny knockback on the spot, and thats how you are able, but at low percent there is not enough to tech. Some moves at some percents you can not tech.

be fox, and try to tech Falco's Dair at 20% for example. Will not happen, but it will happen at lets say 90%.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I know that, but just like when you are hit, you have tiny knockback on the spot, and thats how you are able, but at low percent there is not enough to tech. Some moves at some percents you can not tech.

be fox, and try to tech Falco's Dair at 20% for example. Will not happen, but it will happen at lets say 90%.
Yeah, but you were at like 110%... that's definitely high enough to tech Marth's dair.

Putting that aside though, actual critique of random things:
- vs Fox -
A lot of spacies go straight for the ledge with side B when they get dsmashed off, so angling an ftilt down immediately is usually a good idea. And then the standing missile when he ledgehopped was probably not the best idea, but I guess it could work if he hadn't airdodged.
Yeah, windmill of fury! And good reaction on fsmashing the ledgehop.
I don't know... you did fine the last "real" stock; not exactly reinventing Samus, but you reacted appropriately to what he was doing and got him off the stage. Then... really need to work on the edgeguarding. Especially when he phantasms to the ledge, angle an ftilt/fsmash or something, when he does it that much you really need to punish him for it.
lol @ ending

- vs Marth -
Coming down on Marth (unless it's a tech chase or something) with a dair = NO. But you probably already knew that.
Other than that no real complaints. Obviously you should have bair'd instead of bombed, but the off stage bair made up for it IMO haha.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Yeah, but you were at like 110%... that's definitely high enough to tech Marth's dair.

Putting that aside though, actual critique of random things:
- vs Fox -
A lot of spacies go straight for the ledge with side B when they get dsmashed off, so angling an ftilt down immediately is usually a good idea. And then the standing missile when he ledgehopped was probably not the best idea, but I guess it could work if he hadn't airdodged.
I don't know... you did fine the last "real" stock; not exactly reinventing Samus, but you reacted appropriately to what he was doing and got him off the stage. Then... really need to work on the edgeguarding. Especially when he phantasms to the ledge, angle an ftilt/fsmash or something, when he does it that much you really need to punish him for it.
lol @ ending

- vs Marth -
Coming down on Marth (unless it's a tech chase or something) with a dair = NO. But you probably already knew that.
Other than that no real complaints. Obviously you should have bair'd instead of bombed, but the off stage bair made up for it IMO haha.
I gave an example, but at the angle I was Dair'd it is not techable, and I went a little higher then the stage with my up B since I thought we would try to Edge Hog.

Also haha ending is funny, but I normally do attempt an F-tilt Like that, but I also know when I CAN'T do it for sure! and when I know I can't, I don't want a Laggy tilt or something, or else he will ledge hop, drill shine up smash me or something, so I want him to feel the need to hit me and I avoid and punish/ get my kill.

=P

I have a lot of Fox experience. and BC has a lot of Fox's! ask anyone, technical Fox's too!
and trust me man, I am well known for wll teching haha. I Wall teched almost every time before I even L cancled at all. haha! sad but true!

Hm, been awhile since I critiqued, heh...
here are two recent match's.

AIDS (Samus) SpaceFalcon (Fox)
actual critique of random things:
- vs Fox -
lol @ ending
^What he said. But I'll restate:

Up+B out of shield more. Control that match - don't let Fox get up in your hizzay.

When Fox is recovering, you should never back away from the ledge, ever - Samus has nothing to be afraid of against Fox if you play it right. He illusions towards you, you fsmash, ftilt, grab, lay a bomb, whatever. He goes to the edge, you low ftilt, low fsmash, or just wd from the ledge and charge a forward smash, and wait until he comes into it or backs off (he'll do something because if you're charging an angled-down fsmash, you'll hit him off the ledge after his invincibility wears off). There's a lot of stuff you can do depending on the circumstances, but try shooting a missile now and then. Also, if you grab the edge, you're always open for getting him while he recovers.

Point out a few mistakes perhaps? Ledgehop fair to... uair? That cost you the first life. Oh well. And then soon after that, you had a dtilt at low percentage where you just did a forward jab-jab combo... and Fox is behind you. I'm guessing you probably tried to turn around and DA or tilt or something? Either way - C-stick + opposite direction = you're set.

I've seen you do it before elsewhere, but nice work on the "run away cc reverse fsmash" gig.

Tip: If you shoot a missile on the ground and Fox jumps over it at you with a nair, fsmash that hoe - that approach is almost always punishable by fsmash (what you did: wd back to jump foward nair. what you should have done: wd back to fsmash).

Nice work overall. If I could offer some suggestions for new stuff: try learning to predict shields, and then go for a grab. There were a couple times where you missiled and Fox shielded, and you could have gone for a grab right afterwards but you didn't. Grabbing is a good way to upset the flow of the match for Fox, I like to think.

Yeayuhz. And you know, recently I just got this weird urge to start picking up... JIGGLYPUFF?!?!? Or Marth. Or the untouchable Fox (samustechnicalskilllawl?). Dear me, dear me... but Rit- I mean, SiTT, mirite?

It's because I'm only good with one character :(

Rat

Smash Lord
I want to critique to! =)
here are two recent match's.

AIDS (Samus) SpaceFalcon (Fox)
AIDS (Samus) vs SpaceFalcon (Marth)

Feel free to critique.
I suck at this game...=P

P.S. I know I should have Bair'd the Marth instead of bomb. Haha.
I wanted to do tricks.

First match:
-You were playing Falco in the previous match. Never ever play Falco.
-You then hovered over shiek as your next character choice. Also bad.

To do:
Work on your Character Selection Tech Skill.

2nd Match:
+The mindgame cursor loop you did was top tier. ("Oh maybe i'll pick another character??? Nope, fooled you.")
-But your execution was a little flawed. The cursor didn't go directly back to Samus. You need to go right to Samus.

To do:
Mindgame: First do the Loop, then go to random, then press the B button.

Other than that, your approach to fighting marth is weird to me. Lots of Aerials, and a high level of aggression. You handed him the match with the tech fails and the suicide.

On your over all play:
Your 'Dance' seems pointless. (2nd match: 1:04-1:06, 1:10-1:12, 1:38-1:41, 2:22-2:24) Feinting is good, but DD, WD, WD doesn't signal anything. Cut it out of your game or change it.

Makes sense.

However... it would get old for me considering I only play Samus.
Predictable noob :p

Hm, how to make this post worth something.... ah. Rat - thanks for stepping up and just saying it - Samus players who DD/WD around without specific reason... like you said, cut it out or swap it ouc.

Grunt

Smash Master
Hey Corey, if you're still alive,

Me (Samus) vs Vulcan(Falcon)

The first thing you're going to say is something about missile canceling, and I already have fixed that, so any other critique would be nice.

I would get other videos up, but Zodiac has them all. I'll try and get some new ones recorded this weekend.

^What he said.
Hey Corey, if you're still alive,

Me (Samus) vs Vulcan(Falcon)

The first thing you're going to say is something about missile canceling, and I already have fixed that, so any other critique would be nice.

I would get other videos up, but Zodiac has them all. I'll try and get some new ones recorded this weekend.
Cool. Looks like you're trying to play smart, and that you have a fair handle on Samus, nice.

First off, less dairs, more nairs - I would suggest completely eliminating dair from your moveset for now, for practice, against Falcon. Everytime you get an urge to dair, nair instead. No exceptions, not until you get a handle on why nair will be better for you in the long run. Not to mention that if your opponent learns to tech those meteors, your dair will be useless, if not detrimental to your game (not to mention you are not ihavespaceballs being silly).

As for your playstyle, I would suggest focusing on spacing - which attacks to use will come naturally (well you'll have to learn, but still) after that. So at the beginning, when you see that Falcon is short-hop uairing you from below, get out of there and away from him, and try a different approach, and then use which moves are appropriate then.

Keep up the jab work. It's nice to use jabs, but if you're going to jab I suggest learning to crouch-cancel jab and incorporate dtilts or ftilts into that attack routine, ok?

More utilt on ledge. I noticed a few times you tried to attack Falcon instead of just edgehogging as well - maybe you don't know Falcon's recovery reach perfectly, or maybe that time you just messed up, either way, if all you need to do is edgehog, it's better than trying to attack (like when you dsmashed falcon as he was coming back to the ledge - he could have teched it). Also, I'd suggest utilt, or just ftilt, near the ledge more. If Falcon is going to come back up and you're far enough back that he can't reach you, and you throw a tilt at him, he will be in trouble.

Always throw Falcon UP unless he's at a high percent and you can dthrow him into the ground where he'll bounce and you can get a move off on him before he techs.

Last, I'd just like to emphasis that my focus would be on spacing (knowing where to be in regards to your opponent). Also, it wouldn't hurt to maybe experiment with some more moves like bombs or even more grabbing. And stop dairing :p

Keep it uppp.

FrozenButter

Smash Cadet
Wow this thread is still alive even after Brawl. Im impressed. Ive been out of commission for a long time :S (was in a Coma).

AIDS

Smash Lord
Wow this thread is still alive even after Brawl. Im impressed. Ive been out of commission for a long time :S (was in a Coma).
Wait...you expected brawl to take over us? I think you need to go back to that coma. :laugh:
Welcome back, and yes, this section of the forums is still wide awake.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Grunt, I'm alive.

Sorry... I could access smashboards for like... 2 weeks or something. WASSUPWIDTHAT?!?!? Anyway, when I'm at my usual place I'll get right on that.

Blood_Samus

Smash Cadet
you should grab more, try to get in a grab now and then to slow down the pace of the match and use your bombs more when when your oppents is trying to get back on the stage especially marths. drop bombs on the ledge of the stage to screw up marths Dolphin slash(UP-B)...and oh yea learn how to double missle so you can spam missles when your Samus your oppent should come to you..lol

Blood_Samus

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VJkIdHeuQk

Please critique this video for me. I need more experts' opinions. I think one of my problems is that I use smash attacks too much. Thanks in advance.
you should grab more, try to get in a grab now and then to slow down the pace of the match and use your bombs more when when your oppents is trying to get back on the stage especially marths. drop bombs on the ledge of the stage to screw up marths Dolphin slash(UP-B)...and oh yea learn how to double missle so you can spam missles when your Samus your oppent should come to you..lol

AIDS

Smash Lord
I think you should take note of how a lot of experienced samus players play. Your style will change a lot over time, but here is a match of myself VS a marth. Watch players like Myself, Hylian, or HugS even. You will notice how we need to handle many situations differantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VplfNId__GY

Top Bottom