• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Proverbs

Smash Lord
How can one moonwalk farthest? I know it's supposed to be the speed at which you move the control stick in the required direction, but it's also been defined on the moonwalking guide as taking the shortest path, however the path they show does not at any point touch the bottom notch of the control stick area, which I believe it has to.

Also, what's the farthest one can moonwalk? What's the farthest distance? In the video he only moves a fraction of an inch across the screen. Do I need to just keep moonwalking over and over to get him to move farther, and if so, does it increase exponentially? I'm a little confused on how to get it working T_T;;

Ja

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I have to ask... do you have any advice vs. DK?
I know it might sound dumb... but his Up-b destroys me and his edge guards are just too much...
As soon as I'm off the stage vs DK, that's my stock... I try to fight for the middle of the stage, but the Up-b sometimes throws me off. And back throw...

I try to space nair to grabs, but I don't really know what to do against him. I don't know what I should be looking for...
He seems like he falls too fast...

IDK... I'm lost on this matchup I would appreciate any help!
Thanks!
I have a friend who likes to play DK so maybe I can give you some decent tips. If CF gets off the stage v. anyone he almost always dies. Get used to it.

Be careful with your edeguarding. This is true for most matchups, but if you end off stage while they are on the ledge you will probably die. DK normally can't come in that high so utilt. If he does come in high you have time to get off a uair.

DK's up B has a sweetspot on his back, if you stay near his front he can't really throw you off with it. If you're getting grabbed often you're doing something wrong, as CF is much faster than DK. SHFFL and space well, and you shouldn't get grabbed.

Shield stab. DK has a really really ****ty shield, after 1 hit it should be shield stabbable.
-------------

My own questions:
Is CF faster when he is running or raptor boosting? I have a hard time telling this.

Any tips for CF dittos? So far I spam uair and tech chase on reflex.

calmchaos

Smash Apprentice
yeah I realize that I make some mistakes in the DK match-up.
The Utilt is an idea that I never thought of before.
I can't really seem to combo him the way I feel CF should be able to. Is this just the way it is? Does Dthrow knee always work at a certain percentage? Uthrow?

I'm pretty good at running around and spacing Nair but I don't really know what to do to him once I have some momentum going.

I guess I should just work on my mindgames, but it would be great if I'm missing combo opportunities.

Thanks for the help!

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
How can one moonwalk farthest? I know it's supposed to be the speed at which you move the control stick in the required direction, but it's also been defined on the moonwalking guide as taking the shortest path, however the path they show does not at any point touch the bottom notch of the control stick area, which I believe it has to.
Do whatever feels the most comfortable for you. For me its the full half circle. Practice is key in moonwalking as it is with everything else.

Also, what's the farthest one can moonwalk? What's the farthest distance? In the video he only moves a fraction of an inch across the screen. Do I need to just keep moonwalking over and over to get him to move farther, and if so, does it increase exponentially? I'm a little confused on how to get it working T_T;;
I can moonwalk across platforms, I don't know if thats the farthest you can go, and Im sure I've seen myself do longer moonwalks when not even trying to do that, but you should try that for yourself ;p, you can moonwalk multiple times if you so choose, but once should be enough to get you adequate distance to do the moonjump if thats what you're after. Just practice and your distance will increase the more comfortable you become with the motion.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Also for DK, just dair his recovery. If it works against KDJ it will work against your friend.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master

No, it doesn't. You just need to move the control stick from the left to the right without going through the middle. When I do it I hardly move it down at all. You can even do it through just moving the control stick from one side to the other so fast that the game won't register the control stick going through the middle.
Look at my previous post about this, covers lots of things that usually confuse people who have just started moonwalking :)
And yes, if you keep moonwalking in one direction you'll go further every time, b/c you get more momentum in the direction you're moonwalking. I don't really know if it increases exponentially though, if it is it's not by much (atleast not after the 2nd or 3rd time or so)

Oh, and you should check out Magus' vid he posted if you want to see how far a ****ing human can moonwalk :laugh: (I also got pretty much all of my facts in this post and in my last post about moonwalking from him, btw. thanks magus :))

Hope this helps :)

Scar and Magus: I'm guessing Scar hates non neutrals :p :laugh:

Proverbs

Smash Lord
No, it doesn't. You just need to move the control stick from the left to the right without going through the middle. When I do it I hardly move it down at all. You can even do it through just moving the control stick from one side to the other so fast that the game won't register the control stick going through the middle.
Look at my previous post about this, covers lots of things that usually confuse people who have just started moonwalking :)
And yes, if you keep moonwalking in one direction you'll go further every time, b/c you get more momentum in the direction you're moonwalking. I don't really know if it increases exponentially though, if it is it's not by much (atleast not after the 2nd or 3rd time or so)

Oh, and you should check out Magus' vid he posted if you want to see how far a ****ing human can moonwalk :laugh: (I also got pretty much all of my facts in this post and in my last post about moonwalking from him, btw. thanks magus :))

Hope this helps :)

Scar and Magus: I'm guessing Scar hates non neutrals :p :laugh:
Yeah, that does help actually. A lot. I'll just keep practicing and get comfortable with it now that I know more. And where's Magus' video? I'll search to see if I can find it. If you want to post it, though, that'd be helpful.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
lol at lol master in here. didnt you get ***** by scar? and eggm? like terribly??? its ok tho, most of us would. i just thought it was funny for you to post in scars thread after the 2 minute matches you had with him.

question against dk. WTF am i doing wrongg ???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXw4ZLVecw8
Ok...

1. If DK turns around to bair spam you, either jump over him or... roll/run through him. There's a reason they bair spam, and it's not because Cpt. Falcon's nair/grab beats it. Don't try to attack it from above all the time, It cancels fast enough that they can upair/upB you before you even come down if they expect you to attack. Sometimes, it's ok to just run away.

2. The only good dair you did the whole match was at 2:55. Every other dair looked like a Fsmashing Marth. You just throw them out there. Timing and Spacing is required. If they shffl approach and you Dash Dance away when you run towards them a lot of players might roll back or spotdodge. Figured out which they like and either shffl a dair on the roll, or CC to dair on the spotdodge. That's just a example, learn to appropriately get your dairs in a little better.

3. Learn to know when your not going to make it in time on a tech chase, and guess what they are going to do to avoid your failed tech chase rather than go for it. Think they are going to spotdodge? CC to dair, etc. This is where you can grab better if you pay attention. you'd be amazed at how well just running towards them then waveadashing straight down about a Marth Fsmash away from them shows how predictable they can be from a failed tech chase.

My 2 cents.

Scar, that would probably be useful. You already explained OOS Dairs well. However, when Dash Dancing, what do you look for in Dair opportunities? People who shffl spam, dash dance, run up shield, etc. What do you like to do to create those Dairs?

calmchaos

Smash Apprentice
Hey, just got back from recording some matches, and the Utilt worked great for edgeguard! I don't know why I never thought to use it before!
And at Jona... you match looks like a match I would have vs DK... Only advice I can give (since I suck) is work your butt of to stay off those platforms... DK gets off crazy damage when you get above him.

Are you and OTG going to the bi weekly? I think we should play! I know my buddy would love to play that DK.

A combo I got to work today was uthrow > nair> Uair > falling knee. I believe he was at around 90%. I don't know how often this will work.

2. The only good dair you did the whole match was at 2:55. Every other dair looked like a Fsmashing Marth. You just throw them out there. Timing and Spacing is required.
^^There is some advice I definitely need to take.....^^ :D

GL!

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
i just like to dair alot. i dont know why. and how come no one told me to raptor boost???? i had to figure that oout myself. i had stopped using it for like 2 months, now i gotta get into that habit again.

but thanks a bunches.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Also jona, against weighted characters like DK or Ganon, uthrow is a somewhat better option for comboing them as it finishes faster than dthrow and you can combo better out of it. I noticed you hardly used nair at all, try spamming that instead of dair since it combo's into a grab at low to mid % and has way more range. Use nair a lot vs dk, it juggles him incredibly well. One more thing, freaking raptor boost! lol

Dark_Crono

Smash Journeyman
lol at lol master in here. didnt you get ***** by scar? and eggm? like terribly??? its ok tho, most of us would. i just thought it was funny for you to post in scars thread after the 2 minute matches you had with him.

question against dk. WTF am i doing wrongg ???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXw4ZLVecw8
Youre not spacing your Nairs and Dairs well, you have to control the platform not tell him to respect your space because that is what youre doing most of the time... for example 0:03-0:06

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Proverbs is a good book. My favorite is Paul's letters
Which of Paul's letters? He wrote quite a few. [Then again, now that I think about it, this is probably a conversation that if you'd like to continue would do better in a PM to avoid being ridiculously off topic]

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
hey scar just asking on some tips to beating marths, to get around their gimpings and if they ledge camp if theres anyway to get around it, oh and if u no like wat moves lead into like combos at wat %s that would be nice too

thx :D

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
sheik, dash attack to anything
or Ftilt to anything
or Dtilt to anything
or Utilt to anything
or Xthrow to anything (anything you want to fill in here)

too many tech chases and when im at like 70% anything to Ftilt kills me way too easily, what's my best approach option?

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
how do you beat aarosmashguy? lol i'm jk man. <3
but seriously, how come that DK was beating you at 52? were you sandbaggin? i was shocked...

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
how do you beat aarosmashguy? lol i'm jk man. <3
but seriously, how come that DK was beating you at 52? were you sandbaggin? i was shocked...
Why are people so shocked? DK has a really good matchup against Falcon. Just like fox/falco except Falcon also gets easily edgegaurded with bair and upB as well as death grabbed. Not to mention if they have good timing any stomp you attempt can get upB'd as well.

Scar

#HarveyDent
RaynEx do you even want me to upload all that stuff? IMO the best set we had was recorded on your camcorder.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Yea I'll put mine up I guess. The first mm we had was blehh. we were both playing like ****.

If there are any good matches in there with either of us ****** each other throw them on youtube. : /

Zone

Smash Champion
I seem to have a problem Tech chasing. I just want to know is it possible to always follow up where they choose to go if your next to them. By eye and hand reflexes 100% of the time? Or is it merely prediction based. I normally just try and assume the are teching toward the mid of the stage when they are near an edge, Or away from me if they feel I'm slightly farther than next to them on one side. Other than that I miss tech chasing alot. I've had a few people tell me you should never miss the tech chasse if your next to them. I just find that a little hard to believe.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
hey Scar i was wondering not only you and Darkrain play .....but i want to throw out a request that you guys play on teams as well.....>_>( that would be madness)

Top Bottom