• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aw4488

Smash Rookie
I realize I'm not a very good Marth player, I mostly play with my bros and friends and I'm kinda tired of getting my butt kick half of the time :D. I usually have a lot of trouble with my bother's falco, but this is like the only fight i've been able to record because it was under 3 min.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDRHq2phEnU
Can I have an indepth analysis and a general overview?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Aw4488:

:07, you should have stopped your DB once you saw him roll behind you

:09, you stop your DB and get punished, im guessing it was a finger slip

:12, do a fair instead of a DB here, you would have knocked him out but instead he gets more %

:14, shield?

:16, shield?

:18, shield?

:20, see, you shielded here and punished his badly spaced aerial. though you didn't throw him and let him get a jab combo on you

:25, seriously... shield >_>

:49, don't roll behind your opponent when they get back on stage, better players will punish this easily

1:46, forward b stall needed here to avoid the edge hog

K, I didn't go in depth into this one as I do to others. Reason? Well you don't really seem to have the basics down yet. You don't seem to understand the concept of spacing, you were constantly putting yourself in a vulnerable position. There were also many times where you could have just sat in your shield and be able to either up b, or shield grab.

You used too much fsmash.

You rolled too much. Every time you rolled you gave up stage positioning and let Falco regain his footing and begin his aggro on you again.

You had a complete lack of tilts.

You were not good at ledge guarding, you'd often just throw out an fsmash if your opponent was hanging there. i recommend you take a look at this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=200150

Your overall move choice is simply not good. A better opponent would be able to easily punish basically everything you did. Take a look at the stickies, look at some of the guides experienced Marth's have posted. Also look at some vids that good Marth's have posted, for easy reference just look at Ankoku's on the front page of this thread.

Hit them with the tip of your sword.

Anything else, feel free to ask.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I realize I'm not a very good Marth player, I mostly play with my bros and friends and I'm kinda tired of getting my butt kick half of the time :D. I usually have a lot of trouble with my bother's falco, but this is like the only fight i've been able to record because it was under 3 min.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDRHq2phEnU
Can I have an indepth analysis and a general overview?
First off, its kinda hard to critique your Marth against Falco because the Falco player played horribly for a Matchup against Marth. Falco should be using short hop lasers and the phantasm to stay away from Marths blade.

I can immediately assume your mindset during gameplay. You want to get to Falco as fast as you can and **** him with fairs and dancing blade. However you were wayyyyy too agressive and actually crossed falco up and got punished nearly every time you approached. You are going to have to redo your entire approach. You are only approaching one way, with unspaced short hop fairs.

Stay at tipper range, it is going to take time, it is going to take practice. Right now what you are doing will get you 3 stocked if you play anyone good. Also, dont use Fsmash as much, forget about the move for now, use dtilt instead.

In another words..you are not spacing yourself and you are far too agressive. You need to make better decisions (looks at the dair attempt at :36). I do realize that in a friendly you will try things that are for kicks. But its still kinda....not gonna happen...just anticipate the landing of his forward b and punish with a dancing blade.

Try watching vids of good Marths and try to learn from that. Nothing much I can say but good luck. Refer to Steel2nd for anything I may have missed.

clowsui

Smash Legend
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v16275784Hq5BCC3p?rank=5&
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v16275747nDrnRe2d?rank=6&
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v16283123NxXHyRdc?rank=3&

A few things I'm aware of:

Not enough UpB. Yeah.
Not enough completed DBs. I'm not too good at the timing for some reason >_>; Whatever.
Too many FSmashes. Forgot about UpB for some reason. Plus I'm too used to Melee Marth and I don't USmash or DSmash often enough at ALL. This goes back to the not having Brawl thing.
Too aggressive. Solved by the addition of the two moves above...also this is probably because everytime I play Brawl I forget that it's REALLY important in this game to watch your opponent more than yourself. Yeah, I know, since I don't do this I'm still ultra scrubby but that'll be solved once I get a Wii and I play in more tourneys.

I don't play enough, which is why implementing effective techniques is hard...I spend a lot of time, when playing Brawl, re-familiarizing myself with the game.

=(

More coming though.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Haha, I don't mind either way

I get wrecked in those updated vids, if those are better for rating...probably because I did a lot of stupid stuff

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Show me the ones that you think best represent your play style and skill with Marth. If you get ***** so what, those are the ones you should be showing.

Also Marth dittos aren't very good to critique, but I can still do them.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Those would be the best vids of my "style" imo

The one on SV and YI are the two best representations of my style out of that small batch

TheRazaman

Smash Apprentice
I only watched one of those cause they're all Marth dittos.

So heres a few things from the first video.

Don't use the down (green) version of dancing blade for db's last hit. Your opponent can DI out of it and then punish you.
At around :10 you take him off the edge then double fair then try for a 3rd fair and whiff. Marth can only reliably get 2 fairs out of a jump off stage. A better option would be to jump back towards the stage and throw a bair instead.
Similarly around 1:00 when you took him off the edge with dtilt, you followed up with one fair then UpB'd back to stage. You could have either gone for another fair before coming back or gone for the tipped bair (which would have killed him).

As for the positives. Good use of the UpB out of shield, and nice ledge traps. Although it seems that you are just an overall more skilled Marth user than your opponent.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I only watched one of those cause they're all Marth dittos.

So heres a few things from the first video.

Don't use the down (green) version of dancing blade for db's last hit. Your opponent can DI out of it and then punish you.
At around :10 you take him off the edge then double fair then try for a 3rd fair and whiff. Marth can only reliably get 2 fairs out of a jump off stage. A better option would be to jump back towards the stage and throw a bair instead.
Similarly around 1:00 when you took him off the edge with dtilt, you followed up with one fair then UpB'd back to stage. You could have either gone for another fair before coming back or gone for the tipped bair (which would have killed him).

As for the positives. Good use of the UpB out of shield, and nice ledge traps. Although it seems that you are just an overall more skilled Marth user than your opponent.
Yeah the FAir thing was me getting greedy XD
Also I was trying to get the reverse UpB Tipper, I almost did but he DB'ed just in time x_x

Also I didn't use any UpB out of shield o_o Did you mean Grab Release?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I'm watching the one on SV. I'm just going to write random things as I watch.

In the beginning why are you retreating fairs when your opponent is still on the other side of the stage? Are you hoping he'll just jump into it? This isn't accomplishing anything.

At :19 why didn't you continue your dancing blade? Don't try any of that dancing blade > grab/dtilt crap, it doesn't work on anyone good. Go for the guaranteed damage.

Why at :25 did you just run away? You had him in the corner of the stage applying pressure.. but then you just let up and let him regain stage positioning.

:32 you let his completely whiffed dancing blade go unpunished

:42, you should have just up b'd out of shield here instead of grabbed him, more damage + knockback

:45, you let him release, but then you do a ... ftilt? Ftilt isn't your poke move, dtilt is. If you just used dtilt you could have punished him rolling behind you with dancing blade since dtilt has IASA frames

:48, you dash away and fail to punish his DB

1:14, you grab him but throw him back towards the middle of the stage? put him in a bad position and throw him off

1:20, you need to work on your ledge traps, you can't just poke at his invincibility framed hand or else you will eat a get up attack. look at my thread regarding ledge traps plz. also after he got up you just rolled away and reset the situation back to neutral

1:36, unnecessary fsmash is punished

You keep trying to grab to punish too much, dancing blade is much faster and more reliable.

Sometimes when you land a fair you just go backwards again and continue your brick wall which is doing absolutely nothing. Follow it up and continue laying on pressure.

Anyway overall summary:

I wasn't too impressed with your spacing, most of the time you would overspace and try to do a fair and retreat when your opponent is nowhere near you. How do you expect to win if you aren't going to approach your opponent and limit his options? Right now his options are limitless because you aren't using your sword to do anything but dance on the other side of the stage. When you did approach you would sometimes land right on top of his shield.. bad thing.

You constantly and willingly gave up stage positioning and chances to punish by rolling and dashing away when your opponent is in a defensive position.

You have a lot of bad habits and better players are going to run you over for it.

Anything else you want me to go over or elaborate on?

clowsui

Smash Legend
Nah, I think I'm good.

I needed a good Marth player to point out my bad habits, and you did the job well :D

In November I'll play my city's best because my monthly, I'll get some Marth vids for you guys to watch then >_>;

I think it's just a matter of me not getting a chance to play enough, honestly. DB, UpB and spacing issues are all fixed if I get the chance to play more whether its online or against humans. Hell even against CPUs I can learn the range of moves and their timing better.

So to summarize bad habits would be:

1. Not using DB
2. Not approaching efficiently
3. Bad spacing
4. Too much grab
5. Not enough usage of other kill moves

?

Also if you could crit the YI one too that'd be nice.

I really don't frequent the Marth boards TOO much, which is why my Marth is probably quite elementary. I guess I should come here more often eh? XD

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
vs DK

:35, you let off the pressure and fail to punish his whiffed grab by just rolling away. the situation is now reset to neutral

:41, drop to counter would have been good here to send Dk back out

But your opponent is terrible so I'm going to stop watching this and look at another...

vs ROB

:14, you were in a good position to poke him with a dtilt, but instead you opt for a fair and he is aloud to roll behind you. if you dtilt'd you could just pivot to dancing blade and punish the roll

:36, unsafe nair approach, he should have punished

----

I stopped doing the play by play because I think a general summary would be better for this.

You just like.. attacked him. It was a constant aggression. I'm having a hard time giving you a summary however because sometimes you would do a lot of dumb ****, but at the same time your opponents aren't that good so they don't punish you.

Sometimes your spacing is ok, but then other times its just terrible. Your play was inconsistent as I watched you. Random notes: Sometimes you would approach with a nair on the opponents shield = bad, sometimes you would roll too much, sometimes you'd just do random smashes or shieldbreakers when a tilt would be a MUCH better option.

Tilts, you don't use them. You're constantly airborne and you aren't using Marth's ground game that much except for dancing blade. The ROB liked to roll a lot, but he could abuse it because you were always using aerials when a dtilt > dancing blade would **** it.

Aggression is ok but you sometimes you don't make very good decisions. You have to play smarter. A lot of the times you approached ROB would just lay a nair in your face.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Clowsui:

Grabbing is great and can put your opponent in bad situations, but you would often try to punish with it when your opponent misses when dancing blade is much faster and has a much higher percent chance of working.

But yeah, thats the gist of it. Your biggest problem is giving up stage positioning, stop running away.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Cloudsui reverse upB tipper does not exist anymore, as in the knockback is vertical and you will kill a lot sooner with just upB regular tipper.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Video 1
Over all, bad spacing and aerial movements made it too easy for your opponent to dominate you. Other areas like the choice of your moves... You barely used dtilt, no ftilts at all, and you generally kept yourself in the air instead of grounded, where you could have abused Luigi's range with grab game.

You made some silly mistakes. Mostly those relating to how close you moved yourself to Luigi. Constantly moving yourself into his range... you made it so Luigi didn't need to approach at all...
  • At the start: You just walked towards the middle of the ring like it was some boxing match... what the hell? Retreating fair retreating fair!.
  • 0:23 - You DI'd towards Luigi after being hit up. Luigi has a hard head... and you were coming from directly above him like you had a dair worthy of approaching with. Around this time you were practically being juggled, but continually kept moving towards your oppnent instead of away... also Fast Fall where?
  • 0:53 - DI'd straight into him hoping for what? Him to use a laggy move you air dodged that you could punish with? If the opposite situation didn't work then this shouldn't have either (i.e. whiffed fsmash below...). Marth has the sword and Luigi doesn't have the range, why just move into his range all the time?

Dancing Blade. As per usual my comments indicate I hate how you use the downwards variation of the Dancing Blade; you also need to work on just stopping it if it misses...
  • 0:15 - Missed, kept going. Better timing could have made it better to punish the spot dodge, i.e. not as quick as you can but timing the strikes... Downwards made it worse.

Fsmash. We all know how easy it is to just move that C stick forward hoping it will get you a hit, but the punishment for missing is too extreme unless the situation calls for it to be near guaranteed.
  • 0:33 - Whiffed Fsmash from a simple above ground airdodge caused you to easily give Luigi an up B. This is silly, Luigi was the one who can get juggled if he's above you - you're out to force the air dodge with fast moves so you can punish with fsmash:O (Am I insane?)
  • 2:48 - Fsmash shouldn't be used for damage racking or spacing... again a good example of why.

Video 2
Better spacing and less misusings of moves made it better to see your strengths come out. Aggressive edge guarding (I definitely believe you love it) has shown to help you immensely here. There was little to say about what you were doing that was wrong, but you should really put weight into retreating attacks while in the air. You showed a lot smarter playing than your previous video. I still find the lack of a grab game something that is definitely NOW needing to be worked on.

Silliness. Like before you made some heavy mistakes by moving towards an opponent after being hit instead of getting back to the ground safely and resuming zoning/spacing. However it was better this match for sure.
  • Like Video 1, at the start you just hurried into the middle of the stage. Is it some unwritten rule you guys have? Honourable Boxing match startup where your opponent always throws the first punch before the bell rings?
  • 0:31 - You moved straight into his upwards fsmash.
  • 0:30-0:34 - Luigi's aerial shot bombs can be swatted with fair [IIRC]. Or at least air dodged around

Dancing Blade was better, I saw no down variations and you even cancelled after the first strike if it missed. Yay.
Grab Game:
  • 0:28 - Instead of an Fsmash, a grab would have been a lot more appropriate. Especially as you had the opportunity to do yours first over theirs. At those close quarters there's little reason to use such a long ranged move as Fsmash...
  • 2:23 - Falls down straight into you with a shield and you should have grabbed him. He did the same to you when you made the mistake, so a grab grab grab. yay. ALso a little further you were killed by a dsmash while jabbing. A grab may have been more appropriate - maybe.

Good:
  • 0:50s - Great edge guarding. You actually gave yourself the opportunity to kill them with gimping unlike the previous match.
  • 1:20 - Pushing away with dtilt, useful right? You should be doing this more often. But you'd first have to let yourself be on the ground more often.
  • 1:32 - Dancing Blades are good, and there are many times you hit with them in a good manner, but pushing your opponent towards an edge is great to. Dtilt here to dancing blade would have been an extra 10% or so and have them firmly off the edge to use your great edgeguarding.

Fsmash whiffs were a lot rarer, but you started to throw them out a lot during the last stock. Luckily the lack of them mostly in the game probably stopped your opponent from actually playing to -wait- for them.
  • 1:44 - Dtilt/Dancing blade = Better.
  • 2:12 - Whiffing an fsmash scored you the kill. You're lucky he wasn't closer.
  • 3:07 - Start to think to yourself, if they're not at kill percent or it's not extremely safe to do so, use dtilt instead of fsmash.

Video 3
This match seemed to be a repeat of Video 1 at the start, while taking a lot of good things from Video 2 as well as it progressed. I think you need to take a look at the difference between videos, Where I would rank your best at Video 2, mid at vid 3 and worse at vid 1. However over all the match was awesome, and fun to watch, 170%ish for BOTH of you (stock 2)? Thrilling :)

However.
Good:
  • 2:55 - Dtilt spacing, YEAH. But fsmash afterwards = NAY.
  • 4:40 - About time. Your opponent was living in his shield quite a bit, and it's a shame the first shield breaker hit you had was at such a high percentage anyway. You could have probably done very well by pressuring with shield breaker a bit more often. Effort put into reading opponents tendancies would be beneficial.

Retreating Fairs. If you were using them you'd be a lot safer, it's the best way to approach someone who's firmly on the ground.
  • 3:10 - Good example of you being right next to a person after a fair, and got dsmashed...
  • 5:35 - Yeah, fair to you getting grabbed :(

--

P.S. Critique my really really really crappy Sheik :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOF_0b3ktSE

TheRazaman

Smash Apprentice
Critique away, cause there will be much to talk about. The Marth is always me (as each video title will say)

I know I did some pretty silly things at certain points in the matches. Did Dash attack more often than the maybe once it should be used. Did DownDB a couple times. And, I think my biggest problem is, I'm complete garbage off the edge...with Marth :(

:dk2:
DK vs Marth on Battlefield -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TUpp96Ph6g (he wins)
DK vs Marth on Final Destination -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL9AQz38BPg (he wins)
DK vs Marth on Smashville -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7NFpT2D1lA (i win)

:fox:
Fox vs Marth on Battlefield -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41w6mvyyZbU (he wins)

edit: removed the wario and lucas vids.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Razaman with so many vids its hard to critique. But I watched the first one and I can tell you a couple of things.

You don't shield, many times you'd get hit by something where it should have been seen from a mile away. Shielding is good, SHIELD TO DOLPHIN SLASH GOOD.

You need to learn to sweetspot the edge when recovering

You need to work on getting your dancing blade to actually work properly. You also need to work on stopping your DB on the first strike if it hits a shield or misses.

You use Fsmash too much, it's not a damage builder and it's not a very fast spacing tool.

I noticed dtilting for spacing, which is good, I am proud of you. Ankoku should learn the dtilt from you :p. Still, you really need to work on the following up from dtilt, and try not to do it so close to an opponent.

Your spacing was okay, going back to the shielding thing, it's the only reason you weren't 500% while DK was at 10%. You would keep yourself out of danger often, but you barely spot dodged and never shielded moves coming towards you.

You tried approaching with DAIR a bit, and also you weren't that good at aiming the tip of it either. Yeah as you said your edge game is pretty messed. Fair and nair and bair are generally good enough for that, also edge hogging forces many things.

You got juggled too much, early in the match you took a lot of damage because of juggling and I never think I saw you trying to air dodge past it. Again at the end of the match you got juggled a bit and was finished off with DK's upsmash.

Work on the dancing blade, work on the shielding, work on the edge grabbing with dolphin slash. Learn to not get juggled. Ftilts good, try that.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Ankoku I'm looking at match 3.

:07, you started off the match by not moving and let Luigi approach you. you should have at least walked towards the middle of the stage, because now Luigi has you in a corner and you don't have much room to work so you just land on his shield with a fair.

:16, you still have this habit i guess, dtilt would have been fine here, and if he still rolled dancing blade would eat him

:30, this was a desperation dancing blade imo, he wasn't open and you would have had to get to hit # 3 or 4 for it to make contact. dtilt plz

:36, why did you roll away here? Up air > up tilt is basically a combo

:39, if you see him roll behind you as you fair just keep DI'ng forward, an IC ***** me like this a few days ago because I kept going backwards.

:50, unsure why you backed off here, dtilt/dancing blade/grab whatever to get him back off the ledge. you got your jab in though so its kool

:54, *facepalm, takes his hand away from his face and sees blood, he realizes his eyes are bleeding from the ugliness of Ankoku's fsmash spam

1:26, unsafe, though I can see why you did it. be a little more careful with the up b

1:33, GOD DAMMIT ANKKOKU WTF

2:03, as he slides away you don't follow him, that's why you keep getting hit with the tornado thing

2:15, same thing

2:20, same thing. you're giving him too much space and it allows him to do that

2:57, up smash ? <_<

2:59, you were both caught in the corner here, but he was the one taking a defensive position and put his shield up. you proceed to run away and reset the situation to neutral. he hits you with another tornado because of this in a few seconds

3:47, nair approach >_>

5:04, MY EYES

but yeah, this match is too long

Pretty good, I saw up b this time and spacing for the most part was ok. Sometimes you'd do some unsafe stuff, but the biggest problem was stage positioning. Sometimes you'd be ****** Luigi across the screen but then you'd just let up and go back to brick walling. Luigi would proceed to use his quick approach and tornado you.

Do you have the Snake vid? I want to critique that one since you said you got 3 stocked.

But other than that ill just copy paste shaya's critique for the first 2 vids for the archive since i didn't watch them:

Video 1
Over all, bad spacing and aerial movements made it too easy for your opponent to dominate you. Other areas like the choice of your moves... You barely used dtilt, no ftilts at all, and you generally kept yourself in the air instead of grounded, where you could have abused Luigi's range with grab game.

You made some silly mistakes. Mostly those relating to how close you moved yourself to Luigi. Constantly moving yourself into his range... you made it so Luigi didn't need to approach at all...
At the start: You just walked towards the middle of the ring like it was some boxing match... what the hell? Retreating fair retreating fair!.
0:23 - You DI'd towards Luigi after being hit up. Luigi has a hard head... and you were coming from directly above him like you had a dair worthy of approaching with. Around this time you were practically being juggled, but continually kept moving towards your oppnent instead of away... also Fast Fall where?
0:53 - DI'd straight into him hoping for what? Him to use a laggy move you air dodged that you could punish with? If the opposite situation didn't work then this shouldn't have either (i.e. whiffed fsmash below...). Marth has the sword and Luigi doesn't have the range, why just move into his range all the time?

Dancing Blade. As per usual my comments indicate I hate how you use the downwards variation of the Dancing Blade; you also need to work on just stopping it if it misses...
0:15 - Missed, kept going. Better timing could have made it better to punish the spot dodge, i.e. not as quick as you can but timing the strikes... Downwards made it worse.

Fsmash. We all know how easy it is to just move that C stick forward hoping it will get you a hit, but the punishment for missing is too extreme unless the situation calls for it to be near guaranteed.
0:33 - Whiffed Fsmash from a simple above ground airdodge caused you to easily give Luigi an up B. This is silly, Luigi was the one who can get juggled if he's above you - you're out to force the air dodge with fast moves so you can punish with fsmash:O (Am I insane?)
2:48 - Fsmash shouldn't be used for damage racking or spacing... again a good example of why.

Video 2
Better spacing and less misusings of moves made it better to see your strengths come out. Aggressive edge guarding (I definitely believe you love it) has shown to help you immensely here. There was little to say about what you were doing that was wrong, but you should really put weight into retreating attacks while in the air. You showed a lot smarter playing than your previous video. I still find the lack of a grab game something that is definitely NOW needing to be worked on.

Silliness. Like before you made some heavy mistakes by moving towards an opponent after being hit instead of getting back to the ground safely and resuming zoning/spacing. However it was better this match for sure.
Like Video 1, at the start you just hurried into the middle of the stage. Is it some unwritten rule you guys have? Honourable Boxing match startup where your opponent always throws the first punch before the bell rings?
0:31 - You moved straight into his upwards fsmash.
0:30-0:34 - Luigi's aerial shot bombs can be swatted with fair [IIRC]. Or at least air dodged around

Dancing Blade was better, I saw no down variations and you even cancelled after the first strike if it missed. Yay.
Grab Game:
0:28 - Instead of an Fsmash, a grab would have been a lot more appropriate. Especially as you had the opportunity to do yours first over theirs. At those close quarters there's little reason to use such a long ranged move as Fsmash...
2:23 - Falls down straight into you with a shield and you should have grabbed him. He did the same to you when you made the mistake, so a grab grab grab. yay. ALso a little further you were killed by a dsmash while jabbing. A grab may have been more appropriate - maybe.

Good:
0:50s - Great edge guarding. You actually gave yourself the opportunity to kill them with gimping unlike the previous match.
1:20 - Pushing away with dtilt, useful right? You should be doing this more often. But you'd first have to let yourself be on the ground more often.
1:32 - Dancing Blades are good, and there are many times you hit with them in a good manner, but pushing your opponent towards an edge is great to. Dtilt here to dancing blade would have been an extra 10% or so and have them firmly off the edge to use your great edgeguarding.

Fsmash whiffs were a lot rarer, but you started to throw them out a lot during the last stock. Luckily the lack of them mostly in the game probably stopped your opponent from actually playing to -wait- for them.
1:44 - Dtilt/Dancing blade = Better.
2:12 - Whiffing an fsmash scored you the kill. You're lucky he wasn't closer.
3:07 - Start to think to yourself, if they're not at kill percent or it's not extremely safe to do so, use dtilt instead of fsmash.

TheRazaman

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Shaya. I dunno why but I always find it very hard to get away from DK if he's trying to juggle me. I know I shouldn't fsmash so much, its just a really bad habit. I always tell myself before a match to dtilt instead of fsmash, but i rarely do. And with DB its like hit or miss days with me.

Also, I removed the Wario and Lucas vids as they're not really a big deal to be critiqued. The main ones are the DK and especially Fox. For some reason his Fox always ***** me, mostly because he's a better player than me, but still...its annoying.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
It was actually grenade into C4. I think I picked Marth just to get an idea of how the matchup would be like compared to Sheik:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20J8B1jvTZ0
My bad. It's hard to see the grenades on the youtube vid =b. Still, pretty beastly. Shiek vs. snake match-up was also fairly entertaining.

Edit with critique of panda vid after I get out of class

For now, I wouldn't recommend trying to hit someone behind you with dsmash. Dsmash for a killing/nearly killing blow with the first hit or punishing a roll dodge. It's a bit too risky to use as a way to hit someone behind you. Maybe think about retreating bair to space yourself?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Well finally i'm getting loaded up with vids, about time.

Kadaj: I hate marth dittos

:14, little delayed on the DS, act as soon as you shield any part of the DB.. the earlier the better

:21, you probably could have picked something a little safer than an fsmash here, dtilt, dancing blade would have worked much better to push him back onto the ledge

:36, you let him back on the ground too easily here, if you used up tilt instead of up air you would have been more precise. slow down a tad if you have to

:50, i would have just done a regular get up once I saw him miss the dsmash, you could have just turned around and grabbed him

1:16, failure to punish his fsmash, should have been a stock

1:19, reverse up b?

1:35, you have invincibility frames but you are dashing away from him? he follows you and you eat a DB

1:39, could have done a dthrow > fsmash (if he doesn't up b), either way you want to get him off the stage

1:55, unsafe fsmash is punished

2:03, dair on stage are bad. up air would have worked fine since it hits behind you

2:22, DI'd right into him?

2:58, no up b

Do you have any non-Marth dittos I could look at? I feel I could give you a more accurate critique.

Will look at others later.

∫unk

Smash Master
Ankoku, when you fight luigi Shield to DS isn't that good of a strategy cause luigi pushes himself back when he hits your shield.

Against Panda when he was far away you got projectile owned (and that's not going to change really other than be more wary of where he lays stuff cause you kept running into it) when you were close you got shield grabbed and rarely tilted.

Approach with your own tilts and get snake in the air. He had stage control the whole time which is even more crucial than normal for this matchup. If snake doesn't have all his crap out then he's much easier to deal with so you have to stay agressive.

And feel free to DS the hell out of him, especially under the top platform. You'll land neatly on it and if snake tries to punish you up there he will probably take more damage in the following sequence for going up there (even if you get hit, but definitely if you manage to not get hit).

kr3wman

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1kmFQz38pk

It's a crew battle, so it may not feel serious or anything, but leave it to Bento to always play like a man.

I tried to restrict myself not to use the Dancing Blade/Sword not to hit the bombs, but as you can see that didn't really work. A detailed report would be much appreciated, but I can live without it.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Ankoku vs Snake:

:06, rushed right in and he easily shield grabs

:25, dancing blade would have been a better punishing option

:36, let him get down too easy imo, on battlefield you should try and keep him up there forevar

:39, he misses a grab and you dsmash, up b plz

:49, punishes your whiffed fsmash

K so you did play ********, yeah.

You know you didn't play smart enough or safe enough so I won't go over that. But whenever you got Snake into the air you attempted a juggle trap maybe once, any other times it was a stupidly charged up smash where he would just DI away from it. Make it HELL for Snake to get back down.

Also you ran into just about every explosive he laid down/threw in the second half of the match, gg.

<3

TheRazaman

Smash Apprentice
Good, but more vids plz

ill get to you hrnut in a bit
Hey steel, could you also take a look at the Marth vs Fox video i posted on the last page (and the other 2 DK ones if you have time).
Shaya took a look at the first DK video, and I was hoping to get all of them critiqued.

I'm going to be putting up more videos in a few days, and hopefully, they'll be improved. There will probably be one more of a Marth vs Fox/DK, and probably a Marth vs ROB too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom