• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

e__

Smash Ace
http://tinyurl.com/6e525l
http://tinyurl.com/54swgx

Not by any means my best matches and I have gotten better since then, IMO, but I know I still make a lot of dumb mistakes and I need to learn to focus for the entire 3 stocks.

Also, he recorded over my best set with him.

Also, I use the green variation of Down B a lot because the opponents I play rarely DI out of it. When they do I think I start to mix in the other variations, but I definately don't use the up variation enough. And I know I need to use dtilt more, I'm slowly incorporating it into my game more.

I'll try to get some good vids up that don't involve a Marth ditto being my best match and me actually playing my best.

Edit: Wow, I noticed I don't know how to edgeguard against Falco, especially his side b.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
HRNut:

Watching the 2nd match vs Diddy since the others are old

4:57, why did you up tilt? should have dashed towards him and DB'd. he punishes

5:22, aerial DB is punished, don't use this plz

5:47, he was up against the edge of the stage but you give him space and dash away, fortunately for you he didn't take advantage and stayed put

7:19, fsmash?

7:28, random counters > DS? you should be learning that he keeps grabbing you as you fall, counter not working well in these situations

7:31, you DI right back into him and get grabbed again

8:02, banana combo ftw

There really isn't much I can say for this match. You're obviously a much better player than the Diddy. Sometimes you'd be unsafe with your DS, a little too much fsmash. Sometimes you'd try some gimmicky stuff that rarely works (an example being dancing blade to attempt to gimp your opponent). And sometimes you'd just throw out random *** attacks. Spacing was good for the most part.. but seriously I'd need a vid of you vs a better opponent, preferably one where you lose the match.

At this point in your marth game you could do just what I did and go into your vid and pick out your tiny mistakes. Most of them are just misreading your opponent which improves with more and more experience.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
:fox:
Fox vs Marth on Battlefield -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41w6mvyyZbU (he wins)
:10, why you even approached this way i have no idea, you started your fair so late that you had no control over your DI. if fox just stayed where he was he could have just shield grabbed

:16, random fsmash is punished

:24, got lucky he let go of his shield, he could have just shield grabbed

:26, uhh.. dash attack approach? >_>

:27, you were right on top of him and you were landing from above, you can't just throw out a dancing blade in this situation, he's going to try and take advantage of your positioning and hit you

:31, he's doing a dair but you spot dodge even though dair has multiple hit's.. you should have kept your shield up and either up b'd or grabbed

:34, you were going for the double fair approach again but this time he hits you with a dair. double fair is a bad approach, stop using it

:35, you roll, but you could have just hit him with dancing blade to punish his dair that didn't hit all the way through.

:39, he misses an up smash and you just roll away

:49, bad spacing on the ledge and unable to punish his side b get up

:52, up b may have been better here, but grab works too

:56, you fsmash his shield and you eat an up smash, he takes off a stock

1:06, you up air... but he's basically already beneath you. you were too slow to follow up your up smash.. you just stood there once you hit him

1:19, up b would have gotten him way off the stage here

1:22, luckily he didn't punish this fsmash

1:35, you just ftilt, wasn't really spaced or anything. use dtilt to poke

1:40, what was that up air supposed to do?

1:43, your opponent fails to punish your dash attack and then punishes your dancing blade which has no chance of hitting him

2:09, should have been able to gimp him here, remember fox basically can't DI once he finishes his up b

2:23, you follow up your fair with an ftilt on his shield = bad idea. he should have punished it

2:32, complete whiff on the up air and now you are on a bad position above your opponent

2:41, why did you fsmash? and you need to learn to punish his side b, either jab it or shield it > dancing blade

2:43, another fsmash when your opponent is simply not open

3:27, you let him **** you with his rolling and he wins the match

You really need to work on your spacing, you aren't really hitting with the tip at all so you are constantly putting yourself in a vulnerable position. You aren't abusing his disjointed hitboxes to the best that you can.

You continually approached with double fair, that's a terrible approach and a better opponent would have punished it. Speaking of a better opponent and punishing, he hardly punished any of the bad habits you have. You used way too much fsmash, you rolled too much, and overall just whiffed attacks that have no possibility of hitting him.

Fox sucks at approaching, and especially against Marth. You could basically camp him with your sword but you let Fox use his mediocre approaches (dair) beat you. You also used too much dash attack, that's basically Marth's worst move. Your opponent rolled a lot as well, learn to punish it with DB.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee

Not by any means my best matches and I have gotten better since then, IMO, but I know I still make a lot of dumb mistakes and I need to learn to focus for the entire 3 stocks.

Also, I use the green variation of Down B a lot because the opponents I play rarely DI out of it. When they do I think I start to mix in the other variations, but I definately don't use the up variation enough. And I know I need to use dtilt more, I'm slowly incorporating it into my game more.

I'll try to get some good vids up that don't involve a Marth ditto being my best match and me actually playing my best.

Edit: Wow, I noticed I don't know how to edgeguard against Falco, especially his side b.
I watched both vids and the play by play is based on the first video. (I left the second one for Steel cause two people can help better then one, oh and cause I know he loves Marth dittos a lot more then me ^_^)

Just a note, at the first 10 seconds or so, you could of helped yourself approach by using the platforms, however perfect shielding works just fine also. Don't worry about it.

:10- Lack of spacing got you grabbed. You then dolphin slashed and whiffed, even if you would of hit, it wouldnt of had enough knockback to keep him from punishing your lag. Try to dolphin slash when they will be knocked back far enough where they cant punish you, even if it hits.

:20- You should be able to anticipate the distance of Falco's Phantasm and punish accordingly, instead you misjudged the distance and missed, then got punished.

:27- Should of moved back anticipating the movement of forward b. Realize that Falco only has 2 options, forward b and get punished or grab the ledge. Its a no risk situation to simply give yourself enough space to punish.

:38- Counter? Should of used reverse up b and edgeguarded. These small mistakes are what cost people matches.

:42- Don't use dancing blade as anything but a punishing tool. I dont know what you were doing here, but it got you daired.

:47- Downthrow to edgeguard should of been done...another missed chance. The dsmash was risky, I wouldnt do that unless its to Ness or Lucas.

:58- "Secondaries Metaknight to get him banned"...nice.

1:13- You rushed into Falco when an obvious Forward b was coming...you could of simply stood there and fsmashed for the ko.

1:17- Never rush from the ledge to the stage with Marth. Be patient.

1:27- There it is again....your too agressive...remember this is Falco, his recovery sucks. Just stand there and force him to grab the ledge.

1:54- If anything, then is where you want to counter, or you could of simply dropped low and up b'd to the ledge, either way, jumping to the stage was obviously bad.

2:02- Shield Breaker here usually doesn't work, it may against this person, sometimes, but dont get into a bad habit.

2:23- All you had to do here is hug the ledge, and goodbye Falco. You will notice opportunities as you play, try to take advantage of them.

2:34- Nice you broke his shield, however a better alternative for punishing would be a fully charged upsmash from underneath, it deals more percent then the shield breaker you did.

2:45- You got upsmash happy....don't do that.

3:01- I know you know you have this problem, I will help you here.

3:06- Just grab the ledge lol.

3:14- Marth is so weak from the bottom as you can see. I would just continually air dodge towards the ground between the platforms.

3:35- Ran into that upsmash, remember, spacing is win.

3:43- Too risky to up b, but in this particular situation it would of payed off.

3:58- Counter was a bad choice of move here, you need to predict Falco's movement on the ledge. Ill go into that later. You now begin to get careless.

3:59 to 4:27- You started rushing and didn't space too well. He got in a upsmash because you used dancing blade to attack, not punish.

Alright, first off, you seem to get careless randomly in the middle of your matches. You should always be spacing and walling with a fair, dtilt, jab, and maybe a nair. You didn't use a ftilt or nair the entire match. Second off, you are having trouble realizing KO opportunities. In example, there were many occasions where you were able to simply fair, space predicting Falco's phantasm and fsmash, or grab the ledge. You are probably thinking its not that easy, well, Falco is pretty easy to gimp if you play correctly and TAKE YOUR OPPORTUNITIES. Third, When you are on the ledge, don't race back onto the stage, stall a bit and vary your returns to the ledge. This will keep you less predictable where Marth is most predictable. Don't counter as much, a missed counter can cost you a stock (assuming your at a decent percentage).

Your making simple mistakes, they are probably habits to you, so when you do friendlies, work on adding simple things to your game, like occasional dtilts. Otherwise your doing fine, note every mistake that I have listed and when you know what your doing wrong, a solution will become obvious. You said yourself you cannot edgeguard against Falco. That will cost you many games in the longrun. Thanks for posting the vids.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
The second one's a marth ditto? No thanks XD i need to add a rule or something on the first page

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
When you hog and force your opponent to recover onto the stage you could probably ledge hop past him and dolphin slash him back out i think.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
This is for e__'s Marth ditto video.

:11- Excessive dtilts here, if he rolled behind you get a FREE dancing blade. Its unresistable.

:16- Unspaced fair allows you to eat a fsmash. Okay...this is a Marth ditto. The campier and more patient player wins, space with fairs and tilts instead of approaching recklessly. If you get hit with Marth's fsmash, you messed up your spacing bad.

:23- When your dancing blade is shielded, learn to either use the down variation or stop the move and grab/shield breaker.

:49- You rushed onto the stage, ate a fsmash. If you are fsmashed....you messed up, remember that.

:55- Bad bad situation there, I would of returned to the stage asap. You can see why. You should of not let him done that lol.

1:14- Tipped fair, nice.

1:25- Dthrow to fsmash, could of got like 23% here.

2:14- Missed a nair opportunity, would of ko'd if tipped. A uair works well here too.

2:40- Good work there, you noticed the chance to KO, and succeeded.

2:46- Grab here, or at least dtilt, you used counter. I dont know exactly what you were thinking but it would be dumb of him to smash at that point. Why counter?

2:52- Marth can DI out of Marths fthrow to fsmash, a fair would of been better here.

3:14- You start playing better here, spacing with fairs and dashes.

Okay, first of all, realize that Marth dittos are played differently then any other game. You need to be patient and campy. Retreated fair and dtilt/ftilt the whole Match, im exaggerating a little. Marth dittos are gay, you shouldn't even approach much, if at all, meh. Just follow the tips I gave above, there isn't really much I can say that wasn't helped better in the Falco match, go with that one. Just work on your spacing and prediction, especially when range and spacing is overnessassary (MK, Dedede, Marth, exc)

Other notes... You need to use ftilt more, it beats most short hop approaches and hits under many platforms. You also need to play a better defensive game all around. Use some ledge traps by grabbing their return and throw them back off. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
... *nothing happens*...

T_T
Sorry, must have missed it.

0:00, THIS IS A GOOD STAGE

:11, whiffed up smash leaves you open, pivot up tilt would have been safer and probably a better chance of hitting

:15, peach hits you with a turnip because you felt the need to nair the ground. you had no chance in hitting her from a short hop approach in the first place, should have stayed grounded

:25, o rly

:45, you had peach up against the wall, should have stayed where you were and not dashed away

:48, miss your chance for punishing the dair by rolling

1:15, bad spacing, but peach doesn't punish

1:20, bad spacing, peach punishes

1:24, whiffed fsmash is punished

1:27, another whiffed fsmash

1:39, why do you keep rolling after you land?

1:58, got a little over anxious here with your fsmash

2:07, up b out of shield

2:10, you land right on top of her and she grabs you

2:16, you miss an ftilt while she is floating, she is now floating towards you so you.. dash towards her? obvious shielding situation here

2:19, punishes your roll

2:57, if she would have just shielded her your bad approach would be punished

First, you roll way too much. Marth's roll is average at best, you really can't abuse it or you will be punished. You have a bad habit of rolling as soon as you land from aerial. This isn't good, because a lot of the times your opponent was in a bad spot and you could have hit peach with.... DANCING BLADE. you used 0 dancing blade. It's Marth's best punishing option and I don't remember you using it once, instead you replaced it with fsmash. You used way too much fsmash and often got punished for it.

You had a lack of dtilt, there were many times you could have replaced a fsmash with a dtilt. Peach can't do too much vs your zoning, and you didn't really do too much of that. You never really spaced your dtilt in any situations to limit Peach's grounded options. Your spacing period wasn't that good, mostly when you were approaching. You would just land on Peach with a fair or nair.. no DI whatsoever involved or any indication that you wanted to hit her with the tip of your sword.

Also saw no DS out of shield, there were plenty of times you could have sent Peach back out when she was too close to you.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Sorry, must have missed it.

0:00, THIS IS A GOOD STAGE

:11, whiffed up smash leaves you open, pivot up tilt would have been safer and probably a better chance of hitting

:15, peach hits you with a turnip because you felt the need to nair the ground. you had no chance in hitting her from a short hop approach in the first place, should have stayed grounded

:25, o rly

:45, you had peach up against the wall, should have stayed where you were and not dashed away

:48, miss your chance for punishing the dair by rolling

1:15, bad spacing, but peach doesn't punish

1:20, bad spacing, peach punishes

1:24, whiffed fsmash is punished

1:27, another whiffed fsmash

1:39, why do you keep rolling after you land?

1:58, got a little over anxious here with your fsmash

2:07, up b out of shield

2:10, you land right on top of her and she grabs you

2:16, you miss an ftilt while she is floating, she is now floating towards you so you.. dash towards her? obvious shielding situation here

2:19, punishes your roll

2:57, if she would have just shielded her your bad approach would be punished

First, you roll way too much. Marth's roll is average at best, you really can't abuse it or you will be punished. You have a bad habit of rolling as soon as you land from aerial. This isn't good, because a lot of the times your opponent was in a bad spot and you could have hit peach with.... DANCING BLADE. you used 0 dancing blade. It's Marth's best punishing option and I don't remember you using it once, instead you replaced it with fsmash. You used way too much fsmash and often got punished for it.

You had a lack of dtilt, there were many times you could have replaced a fsmash with a dtilt. Peach can't do too much vs your zoning, and you didn't really do too much of that. You never really spaced your dtilt in any situations to limit Peach's grounded options. Your spacing period wasn't that good, mostly when you were approaching. You would just land on Peach with a fair or nair.. no DI whatsoever involved or any indication that you wanted to hit her with the tip of your sword.

Also saw no DS out of shield, there were plenty of times you could have sent Peach back out when she was too close to you.
Alright, thanks. I'll keep those in mind.

But no words on me exploding?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
:06, you are giving him too much space here at the beginning, you're just letting him throw nades at you

:16, perhaps too much spacing here on the ledge, you were back near the center stage when you should have been a bit underneath the platform to punish any of his options when getting back up

1:03, shield breaker or just general shield pressure would be a much better option here, he punishes the dsmash

1:08, why did you put yourself in a bad position? because of this he takes off your stock

1:44, guess you were looking spike here after his C4 recovery, but you definitely could have hit him with a bair

2:01, up tilt/up smash/grab to reset the juggle trap, your bair whiffs

2:15, same thing, try and stay away from flashiness and trade it for effectiveness plz. marth looks sexy no matter what hes doing

2:23, that was hot

2:32, probably should have just recovered low here

3:17, definitely shouldn't have tried to break through the nair wall, remember that he can't really DI much while doing it and you could punish him when he lands

3:47, somewhat of a predictable approach in that situation, he punishes

Good stuff though. Your spacing and your zoning is good.

Mid-match you would concentrate on retreating your attacks across the stage, while i thought this was going to get punished I figured out you were just baiting his dash attack and punishing. Good ****. If he caught on to this though, he coulda just thrown nades at you.

Sometimes you'd go for flashiness (not talking about in between stocks), especially when Snake was coming from above and you'd throw out a bair when other attacks would work much better.

There isn't really too much I can say, you've a good Marth. Just watch your stage positioning choices and sometimes there are just better move options.

clowsui

Smash Legend

i can't wait until we play again lol

i'll **** you a second time if that's what you want =)

jk i think you got something out of sb3, hopefully i don't spend like 3 hours warming up this time and i remember to watch you more than i watch myself + predict so that i play at my top level

granted i get bored in the middle of matches so its difficult

also with dtilt: playing my marth you should know that dtilt is a good move, why do you think i spam it often lol? it's the only actual good marth move from brawl that i spam and the only move that i make a consistent choice of using at all times (I don't always FSmash, Fair or throw)

also next time we'll just record the full 1.5 hours /shrug

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Ankoku, match 3

:00 - :25, meta gheyness

:52, punishes teh spacing

1:09, you shouldn't have put yourself in that position.. you whiff the fair now you should have just double jump back on the stage

1:28, wtf @ fsmash

1:40 - 3:04, wtf plz

3:48, spacing

4:47, fsmash

5:20, up b

5:30, up tilt or something would have been much safer

Then you just got gheyed the rest of the match. It's not like your mistakes were really that big, the biggest ones i pointed out above. You played the match up correctly, just a few minor spacing errors, couple recovery mess ups, and a few random fsmashes (though your fsmashes have been toned down which is good). It's just... meta knight. /emo

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
jays0nnn:

0:11 - Fsmash = bad
0:20 - Fsmash = bad
0:49 - Bad DI = bad
0:54 - Fsmash = bad
0:55 - Dsmash = bad
1:00 - Fsmash = haha oh how. So, 1 in 4 hits...
1:10 - Dsmash = bad
1:14 - Fsmash = could have done better with a dtilt/dancing blade
1:24 - The hell was that? Also, upsmash = bad.
1:36 - Dash attack = why?
1:41 - The hell? Was this on wifi?
1:44 - Grab'd = Bad. Why did you let him pummel you for so long?
1:53 - Fsmash = bad
1:58 - A dair = Bad
2:03 - A dair = good
2:14 - A dair = Bad CHOICE.
2:38 - Dash attack = bad.

Protip = Dtilt, Ftilt, Grab moar.

But seriously, your move choices were terrible. And if it was on wifi why'd you post it?
You dash attack for no reason... what the hell.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
id like to play against someone who can record, WiFi or not. I need the critque I hit the zenith of my gameplay for now.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ummm, I have some vids, but I kinda improved since my last few uploaded matches vs Twitch, so the matches aren't really fair anymore.

I know I made mistakes (where's the counter????), so please don't hold back on the critiques.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HddvNCIdFxs

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9DsHxD2t3XA (oh yeah, check this one before others cuz I'm not confident when I'm on this stage.)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jX0dpGVAMFw

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jkWihLjWOIg

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WLx0EihYrzA

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Match 3:

:21, should have punished his roll wake up with something better than a shield breaker, especially since he was right up against the wall.. if you did a walk to dtilt and it hit.. you have a dtilt lock set up for you. If the MK rolls behind you just hit him with DB

:26, definitely unsafe to DS the glide attack, as long as he spaces it well he shouldn't be getting punished

:44, ftilt?

1:00, try not to stay above meta on this stage, you did a good job getting down asap

1:20, up tilt would be better, though if you didn't drop down in the first place you probably could have hit him with a fair since he was spamming his dtilt

1:24, missed a chance for up b

all the way up to 1:45 or so, MK is just showing you why he CP'd the stage, he performs on it much better than marth

1:50, mistake with the fsmash, if you dashed to dancing blade you probably could have killed him with the walk off stage

1:57, you double jumped and put yourself even higher above meta, giving him more time to set himself up for a juggle, he still failed to capitalize though so w/e

2:17, punishes your.. bair? im guessing that was a finger slip

Not too bad, sometimes you'd just throw out random *** attacks or made mistakes with full hops that would get you punished. You also probably would have lost if your opponent didn't kill himself and also make stupid mistakes. But this is expected, it's meta knight and he does much better on this stage than Marth does.

Match 2

:23, you jumped as he was approaching but didn't throw out a fair as you were falling to hit him back out.. instead you get hit with a nair to up airs

:40, you are really being a little aggressive with your up b's

:43, he's gliding the other way.. all he can do is cancel it and fall. you probably could have landed a tipper fsmash here.. but instead you just do an unfinished DB

:46, very risky fsmash, especially since this Meta likes to approach with his shield. got lucky here

:48, bad spacing on the fair is punished and he puts you in a bad position off the stage

:54, he uses a few dtilts and you... ftilt? this leads to a string of attacks where he just ***** you across the stage

1:07, smash DI in TOWARDS meta to get out of this, he'll be wide open and you will be able to punish

1:34, ftilt?

1:40, should have up b'd the dtilt, it wasn't spaced very well

2:00, i would normally yell at you for being off the stage against MK, but since you are so far ahead in stocks its fine

Final Match:

:37, you were just waiting for that dsmash XD so far so good

:49, you misspace yourself and get grabbed

1:00, don't walk off the stage and then come back with an aerial.. you have limited spacing options at this point and will probably be punished.. which you were here

You were a much better player than this guy, so best advice I can give is look at the situations I wrote down for you and try and figure out what the better option would have been.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
The random attacks were indeed a finger slip most of the time, or I wasn't really paying attention.

I'll do better with my Up-B. Not sure why I've been doing it so much lately...

Lol Steel, your critiques make me feel like crap =p.

I'll try to sharpen up for the tournament on the 15th. Thanks bro.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Would you prefer me to say:

DUDE WOW. CAN YOU BE THE DR OF MY PP CUS UR MARTH IS OUT OF THIS WORRRLD WHO NEEDS CRITIQUES AMIRITE???

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Your lack of chain grab makes me look down upon you Ankoku. You suck.

0:57 - You suck.

Over all critique:
Suck less.

Oh but seriously fsmash spam moar.
0:11 - FSMOSH
0:21 - horrible by you. you suck.
0:30ish - not tippered fairs? you suck.
0:39 - Sfmash? you suck.

You should work on halting your dancing blade and moar up b out of shield. And work on spacing your fsmashes coz they suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom