• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
How would you approach a campy/spotdodge happy fox?
dair when he spot-dodges and then **** him.

if he lasers camps just nair him when he jumps up to shoot and then grab and do moves after.

if he dd camps just run past him and then do stuff or just compensate for the dd and dair/nair/graab him or dd camp him back.

Deus_Vult

Smash Rookie
dair when he spot-dodges and then **** him.

if he lasers camps just nair him when he jumps up to shoot and then grab and do moves after.

if he dd camps just run past him and then do stuff or just compensate for the dd and dair/nair/graab him or dd camp him back.
Would you recommend shuffled knee to jab then grab if he spot dodges?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Would you recommend shuffled knee to jab then grab if he spot dodges?
Darkrain does this.

He also did knee->fsmash on M2k's shield.

M2k tried to grab with Sheik but fsmash moved him back then hit. It was on Dark's counterpick of Brinstar at the Kansas tourny this past weekend.

Smash Journeyman
Even though this is a question about a tactic against Falcon (and Ganon). Is purposely getting UpBed by either of them while they're recovering and wall teching their UpB then proceeding to gimp them a viable strategy? I think it might actually be useful against someone who can consistently ledgetech.

Deus_Vult

Smash Rookie
omit the jab. Dair is also better for beating spot dodges. Up smash as well, or even another knee
I just get grabbed if I try to grab or dair after the knee since fox's spot dodge is so fast. Then again... I might not be fast enough with the grab or have bad spacing :confused:

debaser

Smash Lord
Scar, earlier in this thread you stated fox is easier for falcon than falco. A claim to which I am entirely incredulous. Did you (I checked back a few pages)/could you elaborate?

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
I would say that Fox is easier b/c Falco's lasers control Falcon's movements, making it harder to approach. And since Falcon is also a fast-faller, Falco can combo him just like Fox can. Not sure who does it better, but both can combo, only Falco has a more dangerous approach.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Scar, earlier in this thread you stated fox is easier for falcon than falco. A claim to which I am entirely incredulous. Did you (I checked back a few pages)/could you elaborate?
Falco combos CF too easily, from a single dair a not-so-remarkable Falco can usually get CF a good 50%.

Also dair has amazing priority, more than Fox's, while his nair has equal priority. You can't shieldgrab him... if played correctly he can limit your options to shffls which can be beaten by utilt or dair or trade with nair or outprioritized by fair. Easy edgeguards are gay, his fsmash at the ledge is unbeatable and has so much knockback that you can never come back.

Fox is an extremely hard matchup too, which is why this is so miserable.

Scar

#HarveyDent
lmao Yes we played some friendlies on Sunday after the tourney at about 1:00 am before the flight home back at Dark's house.

Yes I got ***** (not terribly, they were electrifying matches), no they were not recorded, Darkrain is like... so incredibly good. But I got way better thx to watching him in person and just absorbing all of his experience, thx in small part to Cactuar's keen eye too.

I can't wait for more Smash.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Someone posted something interesting earlier: Is tech chasing more about prediction, or do you just need fast reaction time?

Ndot

Smash Journeyman
Hey Scar wasup man. Got a question about approaching with the knee for a kill or continuing a combo. Are you supposed to shffl the knee or just knee without the fastfall part so you keep it out longer? I like your commentary btw in the E-52 matches. =)

Scar

#HarveyDent
Very situational, if you want to approach w/ knee there is no reason to ff it. It's a good idea to keep the whole hitbox out there. To continue a combo shffl it, yeah. and lol thx, e52 was awesome.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Tech chasing grabs is on reaction (but not that easy IMO, unless in dittos...) and tech chasing with aerials is largely prediction.

Cups

Smash Ace
Hey good matches at the tourney scar, you are incredibly good for how long you've been playing. Only weakness I could tell was your techchasing, since your comboing, mindgames, spacing and DI are all stellar. You'll be one of the best in no time. Thanks for coming out and good luck in the future.

Scar

#HarveyDent
scar you better be at smym.
lmao That was literally my first big OOS tourney since I got good at this game. I choked mad hard, it's weird having a crowd against me for once lol. But (as always) no johns and if I were a better player I would have won, so I intend on going back OOS as a better player. Thx for the vote of confidence and I hope I see you there bro.

Only weakness I could tell was your techchasing
Too true, I'm so jealous of you/Big Burn/Jiano and especially Dark for being so amazing at it, MW falcons are horrifying once you guys get grabs, and you get grabs A LOT. I wanna learn it.

Darkrain def inspired me to move faster and I've been using a lot of his stuff since I got back... I see a lot of improvement already. Therefore I love MW lmao.

West Coast still blows LOL EC4L

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
hey scar

this has nothing to do with smash really, but this is the only way i can ask u lol

on the Event 52 vids u put up, wut kind of mic or software did u use to record the commentary?

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Yeah big burn reads people's techs like books.

its so belittling when a falcon ***** you for one whole stock. i swear if it happens to me my confidence just goes down lol.

yeah scar if you can just tech chase like crazy and read people like books you will be amoung the greatest.

i was very shocked to see jiano play, he's alot better than i had ever thought.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
lmao That was literally my first big OOS tourney since I got good at this game. I choked mad hard, it's weird having a crowd against me for once lol. But (as always) no johns and if I were a better player I would have won, so I intend on going back OOS as a better player. Thx for the vote of confidence and I hope I see you there bro.
I hear you on that. I still have not had a crowd (a true crowd) since a tourney in september of last year for me. When people cheer for the other guy it throws me off, but usually no one even watches my games. Happens enough for me to comment on though.

Cups

Smash Ace
Yeah, though I've been on the boards for a while, I still have only been to a few tourneys (like 3) and only really play people from Kansas City. This was the first time that I actually prepared for a tournament and did friendlies with people and tried to pick up what they were doing, and it worked out really well. Like Scar was saying that's why tourneys out of your comfort level are so beneficial, because if you can control the match when people are against you, then you sure as hell can we they are with you.

As for me the first time I had a crowd against me was in crews, and it was really weird because I got so nervous and couldn't do simple stuff. I feel like I learned a lot watching other falcons like Scar because he plays falcon so wildly different than anything I've seen, and Jiano is the most patient Falcon out there I'm convinced. I've only learned that Falcon grabs then combos (being from the MW), but now I know where you can go when you can't get the grabs off.

LOL: the south was saying that I could "cups their balls" during crew matches.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Just having a crowd there is nerve racking. I never really cared who the crowed wanted to win though...
I just didn't want to get judged at the time as a scrub(Stupid logic :( ), I didn't really care where their alliances were. It's funny because most of the time I don't care about being judged either (really this IS the main thing to overcome) . Playing more matches definitely cleans you of that fear though. Being friendly and funny are the best things that I have found to do to make you not nervous and still care about the match. I'm definitely a lot more proficient at it now.
The maker breaker for me was I gathered my nerve and friendlied M2K. Of course I got my *** kicked, and ******** kills on him for which he face palmed, but after that facing other people became a lot easier.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
If there was ever a character I'd want to get ***** by, it'd be Falcon. He requires so much skill at high level play, and it becomes even harder to pull out death combos on good people.

Scar beat me in 1 close mm and wrecked me in the second one. Darkrain beat me up pretty good in brackets.

The amount of predicting they did to me was just...o_0

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
If there was ever a character I'd want to get ***** by, it'd be Falcon. He requires so much skill at high level play, and it becomes even harder to pull out death combos on good people.

Scar beat me in 1 close mm and wrecked me in the second one. Darkrain beat me up pretty good in brackets.

The amount of predicting they did to me was just...o_0
I kno right? Its like before you kno it ur grabbed... then ur getting SH u-aired around the stage... then you get knee'd to death...

Falcon just makes it look so pretty (and disgusting at the same time...):laugh:

peeeetah

Smash Cadet
I got a question for you scar. what do you do against a really good doc? my friend is really careful and a really technical player. his style is really fast. lots of gimping, jabs to grabs, wavedash jab grab. it's hard to get him in a combo. any advice would be nice.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon is a character that requires a lot of prediction. He isn't a spammy character unlike the rest of the Upper characters. He gets punish extremely hard as well. On the plus side his punishment, when it's in IT HURTS. Falcon isn't played well without mindgames.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Docs cape hurts. I'm no scar but D-air works well for me against Mario and the like. Once Dair is in, they combo like it's nothing. Nair DOESN'T work well for me against this matchup as an approach option because they are short and can just Uair spam. Mindgames to backairs really hurt them as well...
Control center stage on this one, as always combo.
Again, I'm no Scar.

Aiko

Smash Champion
when recovering against doc, try to reverse up B as falcon can grab the edge both ways. If you do it reverse, he's no longer cape-able

Scar

#HarveyDent
I got a question for you scar. what do you do against a really good doc? my friend is really careful and a really technical player. his style is really fast. lots of gimping, jabs to grabs, wavedash jab grab. it's hard to get him in a combo. any advice would be nice.
Doc is a pretty ****-able character once you know the matchup, his jab game is pretty good vs Falcon but that's because it has to be, spamming nair destroys pills and all of Doc's approaches besides WD jab, but they have to time it really well and you need to be mindlessly spamming to do it.

Gimps are going to happen but will become much less frequent if you learn the cardinal rule of Falcon play (which I still don't give a **** about but that's just my style): Stay in the middle of the stage.

Don't go near the edges and always reverse upB and you prob won't get gimped as much at all. Spam nair, approach with it, space with it, use it and learn why it is so good, avoid his dair since its priority is stupid (dd grab or wait til its over then uair if you know he's approaching with shffl dair) and learn to combo.

Basically Doc gets ***** by a first nair then repeated uairs to a knee, and if you can manage to hit him with bair after a dj when he's recovering he's probably dead. If they start to DI down then you can do fun interesting combos like nair uair nair nair knee, but just do what you can, but keep in mind that this is a very winnable matchup.

If you play it well enough and abuse nair's priority you won't need to defend against his combos, it's pretty hard for Doc to hit CF. Lots of WD dsmashes from the Doc players around here, and you can literally shffl knee over it and punish. "Don't get hit" is not that hard vs Doc.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If there was one character I'd have to be ***** by it'd be Falcon.

He's just so tall and sexy.

:lick:

Scar how do I beat Peach with Falcon? Her Nair is stupid. And her bum is also stupid. And her dash attack when used conservatively and not spammed at times when I can punish it stupidly is stupid.

Mostly I just try to space Nair through her stuff, dash dance around, and Dair/Grab whenever she looks like she's going to do something dumb but is there a trick to this matchup that makes Falcon become even manlier? Or is there anything you do that you find makes it easier?

Peach is just so silly.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
If there was one character I'd have to be ***** by it'd be Falcon.

He's just so tall and sexy.

:lick:

Scar how do I beat Peach with Falcon? Her Nair is stupid. And her bum is also stupid. And her dash attack when used conservatively and not spammed at times when I can punish it stupidly is stupid.

Mostly I just try to space Nair through her stuff, dash dance around, and Dair/Grab whenever she looks like she's going to do something dumb but is there a trick to this matchup that makes Falcon become even manlier? Or is there anything you do that you find makes it easier?

Peach is just so silly.
Didn't you give advice on how to beat FALCON with PEACH. Just do all the falcon stuff you said to avoid and avoid all the stuff that peach does. Easy.

Just dashdance to grap and nair. Knee or dair if you think she is going to dsmash or grab....uhhh did i mention dashdance to grab.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Didn't you give advice on how to beat FALCON with PEACH. Just do all the falcon stuff you said to avoid and avoid all the stuff that peach does. Easy.

Just dashdance to grap and nair. Knee or dair if you think she is going to dsmash or grab....uhhh did i mention dashdance to grab.
Lol you make it sound so simple you nes noob.

Top Bottom