• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
hmm, yeah... i guess i do need work... i honestly havent tried solely doing tipper attacks based on the fact that i would use his raw speed to win matches, that being said I will try to apply my other at's in my next video... I didn't know that practice videos were frowned upon so I will set up some matches to record to get you a better pciture of my marth overall. I will admit that I do need work because characters with disadvanatges still beat me (depending on who I'm playing)... conceptually I have an Idea for marth, putting it into practice is hard... especially since I main at least 5 people. Thanks for the critique I will try to make a better video.. keep in mind the quality sucks but its the best my camera will do.

**also I clearly am not under pressure when facing a computer, just showing off fast F-Airs and edgehogging, my tactics do change (belive it or not lol) when I play against humans

Saltix

Smash Lord
Depends.

How many do you need recorded? Do you need them up at a specific time frame?
Hey buddy :)

About 2 or 3. And anytime soon. I'm eager to show what I've been working with.
Good to hear from you again, sucks you couldnt make it to last month's Waba

Nightshine

Smash Journeyman
Kudos to you Ankoku!! I barely see anybody play using Marth's white outfit. Usually all I see are red. green or black ones.

(I swear if anyone calls me racist i'll find you and beat you down):mad:. I hate it when people say this to me cause of this. >.>

(yay 100th post lol)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnq-hqMzfZs

No critique desired whatsoever. I know exactly what I did right and wrong. I just thought vids of me are scarce, so I'll at least show a little.

This D3 is the 3th best player in new Jersey (Under M2k, and teh_spammer). Although I think we both made a lot of mistakes, and this vid isn't fully representative of my style (because this player is more advanced than what I'm used to fighting), it'll still provide a good idea of what I might look like. Dumb mistakes like excessive use of predictable Dolphin Slashes and trying to Usmash when I'm about to get UpB squashed are obvious mistakes that I don't need you to remind me of. (In case you couldn't figure it out, I'm very mad I lost this match.)

Matches 1 and 2 aren't up yet.

He won this tourney, btw.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Kadaj:

:09, giving him too much space here and he hits you with a tornado, you proceed to punish with a... shield breaker when DB would have racked up much more %

:19, be realllly careful with your up b's vs luigi, Boss will up b you right back if you miss at higher percents

:32, ledge hop.. up air?

:37, punishes your ledge hop nair, think a little more when you are on the ledge. you don't have to get up right away

:40, should have kept the shield up or spot dodged, either way you were stuck in the corner because of your missed fsmash

1:02, tornado punishes your chargingz

1:30, tsk tsk tsk

1:54, he's starting to catch on here, your approach is almost completely aerial. he rolls behind you and is punished. if you attempted to just poke him with a dtilt you could have punished the roll with a DB

2:03, same thing, he doesn't roll but he finds a way underneath and behind you and starts a combo

2:08, same thing, your fair just pushes him underneath you

2:37, he's gotten up from the ledge with a tornado several times now, should have started to see a pattern but instead you retreated and got hit with it

3:13, this was good, you stayed grounded and used a dtilt. he has no way to get through at this point and rolls away, you punish with DB

3:43, air dodge or like something

He was able to take advantage of your rather predictable approach, you started to catch on later in the match but it was too late. Luigi gets destroyed by disjointed hit boxes, take advantage of that as much as you can.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
CK:

3:45, unsafe approach as you just land a fair infront of him, you're hit with a fair

3:48, bad spacing gets you punished

3:52, a short hop would have not only not whiffed your fair but probably out prioritized the fsmash

3:57, you just keep rushing back in and you get hit back out, you need to get more patient

4:02, only one dtilt is necessary, if you kept it to one you could have DB'd his roll behind you. Instead you're late and he shields the whole thing

4:08, what exactly did you expect a full hop nair landing behind him would do? <_<

4:52, punishes the unsafe fsmash

4:53, Wolf's bair beats marth's fair. he's shown this to you multiple times so far but you just keep jumping right into it

5:04, dtilt would have been a much better option here, instead he shields another round of dancing blade

5:48, you try to retaliate right after he jab combos but you fall right into his trap, he hits you with ftilt

5:58, last stock even percent, not a good position to be trying risky stuff like that

5:59, you try and land right next to him to get back in the fight asap and he hits you with a dsmash, sending you back out.. leading to a gimp for the match

K so.. You're aggressive. That's fine. But your decisions are just... pretty bad. He took advantage whenever you tried to rush in after getting hit.

You constantly full hop, full hops are good but you do it too much. Seriously, people are going to punish this. One of the main options is just... rolling underneath/behind you (you failed to punish multiple rolls behind you, even if you weren't full hopping). There are many options for the opponent, full hopping is just not as safe as a normal SH. That being said I don't feel as if I saw much dtilt, but that just goes with the style.

Your spacing also needs work (a lot of this due to the full hops, you have a lack of DI options once you fair as you fall) you also sometimes throw out too many fsmashes - the wolf punished you for this.

∫unk

Smash Master
You constantly full hop, full hops are good but you do it too much. Seriously, people are going to punish this. One of the main options is just... rolling underneath/behind you (you failed to punish multiple rolls behind you, even if you weren't full hopping). There are many options for the opponent, full hopping is just not as safe as a normal SH. That being said I don't feel as if I saw much dtilt, but that just goes with the style.

Your spacing also needs work (a lot of this due to the full hops, you have a lack of DI options once you fair as you fall) you also sometimes throw out too many fsmashes - the wolf punished you for this.
If I had only saved that AIM convo when you lol'd hard when I first said that like a month ago.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Ankoku, Match 1:

:14, stop running away, keep the pressure on and keep him on the ledge

:50, he rolled all the way to the ledge but you just did an up air, should have rushed him to push him off

:58, you hit his shield and you just run to the other side and fall on the ledge, ankoku if this is just a ****ing around friendly you better telepathically tell me now before i critique the whole thing

1:11, DB to punish this, not bair

2:04, stop being flashy plz, you miss the chance to hit him back out

HOPE YOU ENJOYED YOUR CRITIQUE THAT MARIO WAS REALLY GOOD

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Bengals:

Like 99% of the time you fair its a SHFF. Then if it doesn't hit you try to rely on spot dodging and up b'ng. That's not safe and won't work on better players.

At random times during the fight you will go to the other side of the stage and do needless jumping. You're basically letting TL throw **** at you.

It's mostly spacing, and a lot of that is due to your bad habit with fairs. Better players will kill you for that almost every time.

I'm like amazingly tired, if there's anything else you want me to cover just let me know and ill do it tomorrow some time.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Bengals:

Like 99% of the time you fair its a SHFF. Then if it doesn't hit you try to rely on spot dodging and up b'ng. That's not safe and won't work on better players.

At random times during the fight you will go to the other side of the stage and do needless jumping. You're basically letting TL throw **** at you.

It's mostly spacing, and a lot of that is due to your bad habit with fairs. Better players will kill you for that almost every time.

I'm like amazingly tired, if there's anything else you want me to cover just let me know and ill do it tomorrow some time.
Ah I see, can I ask for a full in depth look at a single match? I'd like to look at my individual mistakes.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Critiquing SSBB - Remzi (Marth) vs ASHRF (Toon Link) 1, on Delfino Plaza

:12- Don't approach with SH fair, use fairs to wall and defend early on in the game. Stay close to tip range and dont hesitate to get a little farther then the tip range if you need breathing room.

:24- This bair was good to give you some space, however you let Toon Link ram right through your walls...cause there weren't any.

:30- Missed a dancing blade because you messed up your spacing, you then got punished. If you miss, try not to follow through.

:24- Shield Breaker wasnt that smart here, I would of focused on getting right out of the water. Water = Danger, Danger = Bad.

:39- Nice Dair, too bad it didn't KO :(, still nice tho.

:50- Risky risky risky, I do realize this is a friendly so you tend to just play around and Im pretty aware that you know that wasn't the best thing to do here. I gotta mention it anyway, just incase. Why not just stand near the ledge crouched and set a trap?

1:17- You rushed here...the best way to abuse Up b OOS is to wait for them to attack your shield, then use it. It is a mindgame, get them to attack you. Problem is with TL, his grab can ruin this strategy. Point is, if you use it randomly, you are going to get punished for it.

1:30- Good spot dodge for the ko.

1:36- Myself watching this vid was waiting for the dtilt lock and you never did it in time, you attempted it and he shielded ruining the move. This was just reaction timing or possibly slow decision making.

2:00- Nice work here.

2:17- Try not to follow through dancing blade if you miss. You will likely get punished every time.

2:30- Perfect chance for an up b, missed.

2:35- Held the shield breaker a little too long here. Almost got ko'd from it, but you had the right idea to use shield breaker here. Tapping the B button wears shield basically just as much as what you attempted.

2:50- Reverse up b...Im obsessed with that move :), you then completed a dancing blade and was ko'd. Maybe finishing at DDB3 would of helped here, on the otherhand you may have been punished regardless so good that you diminished his shield a bit.

3:08- You are very lucky he didn't hug that ledge lol.

3:48- Shield his ledge attack to dolphin slash...win. Just an option, even if he rolled, you can reverse up b and utilt/air any jumps. You win if you play that trap right.

3:56- Tipped fair for the win.

You really played good, there were a few times where you have better options and put yourself into danger that was unnecessary. Maybe work on better and safer use of your dolphin slash. I would wall a bit more with fairs, but that's just me. That also doesn't mean SH fair the entire time. You need to do empty short hops, nairs, and uairs possibly. You SH fair a lot, pretty much every other jump, mix it up. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Critiquing SSBB - Remzi (Marth) vs ASHRF (Toon Link) 1, on Delfino Plaza

:12- Don't approach with SH fair, use fairs to wall and defend early on in the game. Stay close to tip range and dont hesitate to get a little farther then the tip range if you need breathing room.

:24- This bair was good to give you some space, however you let Toon Link ram right through your walls...cause there weren't any.

:30- Missed a dancing blade because you messed up your spacing, you then got punished. If you miss, try not to follow through.

:24- Shield Breaker wasnt that smart here, I would of focused on getting right out of the water. Water = Danger, Danger = Bad.

:39- Nice Dair, too bad it didn't KO :(, still nice tho.

:50- Risky risky risky, I do realize this is a friendly so you tend to just play around and Im pretty aware that you know that wasn't the best thing to do here. I gotta mention it anyway, just incase. Why not just stand near the ledge crouched and set a trap?

1:17- You rushed here...the best way to abuse Up b OOS is to wait for them to attack your shield, then use it. It is a mindgame, get them to attack you. Problem is with TL, his grab can ruin this strategy. Point is, if you use it randomly, you are going to get punished for it.

1:30- Good spot dodge for the ko.

1:36- Myself watching this vid was waiting for the dtilt lock and you never did it in time, you attempted it and he shielded ruining the move. This was just reaction timing or possibly slow decision making.

2:00- Nice work here.

2:17- Try not to follow through dancing blade if you miss. You will likely get punished every time.

2:30- Perfect chance for an up b, missed.

2:35- Held the shield breaker a little too long here. Almost got ko'd from it, but you had the right idea to use shield breaker here. Tapping the B button wears shield basically just as much as what you attempted.

2:50- Reverse up b...Im obsessed with that move :), you then completed a dancing blade and was ko'd. Maybe finishing at DDB3 would of helped here, on the otherhand you may have been punished regardless so good that you diminished his shield a bit.

3:08- You are very lucky he didn't hug that ledge lol.

3:48- Shield his ledge attack to dolphin slash...win. Just an option, even if he rolled, you can reverse up b and utilt/air any jumps. You win if you play that trap right.

3:56- Tipped fair for the win.

You really played good, there were a few times where you have better options and put yourself into danger that was unnecessary. Maybe work on better and safer use of your dolphin slash. I would wall a bit more with fairs, but that's just me. That also doesn't mean SH fair the entire time. You need to do empty short hops, nairs, and uairs possibly. You SH fair a lot, pretty much every other jump, mix it up. Otherwise, keep up the good work.
Thanks ZMT, I felt like that helped a lot! :D

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAbDIT586v8

No critique desired whatsoever. I know exactly what I did right and wrong. I just thought vids of me are scarce, so I'll at least show a little.

This D3 is the 3th best player in new Jersey (Under M2k, and teh_spammer). Although I think we both made a lot of mistakes, and this vid isn't fully representative of my style (because this player is more advanced than what I'm used to fighting), it'll still provide a good idea of what I might look like. Dumb mistakes like excessive use of predictable Dolphin Slashes and trying to Usmash when I'm about to get UpB squashed are obvious mistakes that I don't need you to remind me of. (In case you couldn't figure it out, I'm very mad I lost this match.)

Matches 1 and 2 aren't up yet.

He won this tourney, btw.
You do know posting a video of MK on the marth boards is treason right? :ohwell:

In refference to the video you meant to post, not bad (i kno you said no critiques but wth). The thing that made me laugh was seeing D3's chaingrabs fail so much because 1) you dolphin slashed out of them 2) there was a platform to keep him from regrabbing and 3) he missed you 80% of the times he tried to uair you after you escaped. :laugh:

feardragon64

Smash Champion
can you guys critique this vid too? I didnt get to upload it on youtube because youtube uploads slow. Thanks in advance.

Katsu(Marth) vs. EXIA(Meta Knight)
(0:14) Rushing straight at MK results in mk wh0renado'ing you as you spot dodge before he even begins to move.
(0:16) You land a fair but it was poorly spaced. MK fails to punish for it.
(0:17) Begin a dancing blades that lands two hits then messes up. Is this wifi?
(0:23) Whiffed dancing blades. You had the right idea for a second in fair camping, but then you try and punish MK when he was already behind you. If this was wifi, can't blame you though.
(0:25) Should have ds'd out of shield
(0:34) Metaghey
(0:39) You're trying too much to approach MK and then camp with fairs. MK doesn't have a projectile. Let him come to you.
(0:43) Should have ds'd out of shield
(0:52) Whiffed dancing blades. Don't approach with it. Luckily the last one hit somehow.
(1:03) Another unfinished dancing blades. I'm convinced this is wifi.
(1:07) Dtilt would have beaten the range. I'm pretty sure you could have stutter stepped a tipper fsmash as well. But it's wifi so eh.
(1:12) Punished for spacing
Stuff. Mostly repetition of what happened in the first minute except you slowly start to abuse fsmash which made me sad because you were good about it in the first minute =[

Basically:
-Spacing was probably messed up by wifi
-Dolphin slash out of shield. So many opportunities but you passed all of them up.
-Don't approach with dancing blades
-Pick an advantageous position on the stage for yourself(taking into account your damage % and mk's) and stay there. You keep running toward mk and stop in front of him but end up getting punished because you don't take into account that MK is going toward YOU. Play the camping game.
-Started to get a bit fsmash happy toward the end. Cut back a bit.
-Counter? I'm not saying to abuse it, but I think it's great to use at least once in a match to make the opponent always think twice about throwing out an attack.

It's hard to critique wifi. I'm just hypocritical and ask steel to critique my wifi's lol.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Hmm, I linked the wrong vid, lol. I fixed I now though.

Atomsk never mess up his chaingrab. He stopped chaingrabbing and let me UpB to punish, but I knew I could evade most punishment due to the platform. He was conditioning me to UpB, but I was counter conditioning him to end his chaingrab early. If the Waddle Dee didn't buy him time, he would've taken a ShieldBreaker to the face.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom