• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Meh, I'm with $mac on this one. It seems to work, and it's great for improving pill mobility, even if the pills don't come out any faster. >_<
like i said.

Technically speaking, it exists. But in all actuality it really doesnt.

For all intents and purposes of what we need it for, it does. (No jokes)

otg

Smash Master
So something really crazy happened yesterday, and I've done/seen this before but I don't think anyone's ever posted about it or can do it consistently. When you Up B, certain parts of the hitbox send the opponent in the opposite direction, and it is STRONG. Normally when you UpB it sends your opponent in the same trajectory you're traveling.

I'm talking about, Jiggly is at 0% trying to edgeguard me on Yoshi's, I up B and KO his *** with 5% strong. I'm talking, Marth's at 30% trying to edgeguard me, I Up B and edgehog his ***. The KO on Marth I'm speaking about might have gotten recorded yesterday, so if my friend puts it online I'll show it to yall. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
So something really crazy happened yesterday, and I've done/seen this before but I don't think anyone's ever posted about it or can do it consistently. When you Up B, certain parts of the hitbox send the opponent in the opposite direction, and it is STRONG. Normally when you UpB it sends your opponent in the same trajectory you're traveling.

I'm talking about, Jiggly is at 0% trying to edgeguard me on Yoshi's, I up B and KO his *** with 5% strong. I'm talking, Marth's at 30% trying to edgeguard me, I Up B and edgehog his ***. The KO on Marth I'm speaking about might have gotten recorded yesterday, so if my friend puts it online I'll show it to yall. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
I'd like to see the vid.

Oh, and where was Jiggs when you killed him?

ridikulus

Smash Apprentice
imagine a frog with like, A HUUUGGEEE rack
it would be hilarious.
TO THE SHOOP MOBILE.

GodheadsLamentX

Smash Apprentice

Hmm? I've only seen that sort of thing happens when you reverse upB.

Hopefully I got what you were talking about recorded.

I didn't watch them over yet, but they'll be up soon.

otg

Smash Master
To give you an idea of positioning when this happened (at least in the Jigglypuff scenario), I was recovering off the right side of the stage and DIed till I hit the UpB sweetspot range. Jiggly was falling down above me with a Nair, and just as she was about to hit me, I UpBed. I proceeded to UpB and grab the righthand ledge, while Jiggly went flying off into the distance to the right and inevitably KOed at 0%.

Now Eighteenspikes: it was not a stage spike, that would involve Jiggly hitting the lip of the stage as I upBed. This would cause to fly to the left instead of the right, not what I'm talking about.

Also, one thing I'm very certain of, is that the only reasont his KOed Jiggly is because she just didn't see it coming and DIed the wrong way. I sincerely doubt this will KO at 0%, even if it is on Yoshi's.

Also Kiru: I don't know if it was a reverse UpB, it might have been can't remember. I know the Jiggly situation was on teams, probably adding to the extra confusion of the situation. And against Nick it was on BF recovering towards the lefthand ledge of the stage.

All in All, I have no idea what specifically caused them to go flying backwards, but I just want to clarify that it is not a stage spike as they weren't close enough to the stages to even hit it. Plus, stage spike KO's tend to result with deaths off the bottom of the stage (hence 'spike'), in Jiggly's case it KOed her off the side.

The best lead we have so far might be Dogy's suggestion that it was the first frame of the hitbox, and only the first frame. IIRC, I believe only one hit made contact both times, so that's probably what we are going to have to assume right now. As for why it sent them in the opposite direction, any ideas?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
So, I've been talking to $mac some (over the phone), and I told him 'bout this guide I've been thinkin of. A Doc "Step-up" guide, if you will.

Would have some general-advanced stuff for doc. What I mean by that is that it would have general strategies, setups, move-analysis, etc etc. Not character specific stuff.

Yay? Nay? Any suggestions?

__

$mac also asked if I was going to throw a character matchup guide in there and I replied "Why? You have yours? Besides, my strat is generally beat their *** and dont get hit"

All jokes aside, would people be intereested in another character matchup guide?

I will go ahead and tell you now, I have no ****ing clue how to beat capfals or peaches. Or good luigis (i think)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
holy ****.

I just figured out one of the greatest doc myths nobody gives a flying **** about.

Doc vs G&W.

It's kinda common knowledge (for all 3 doc who's ever played this matchup, lol) that you "cant d.throw g&w". And for some odd reason, every once in a while the game lets you do it.

I finally ****ing figured out what the mystery behind this **** is.

Port Priority.

If doc has the higher priority, he can d.throw g&w and it will have the normal d.throw properties. If G&w has higher port, he will just bounce on the ground immediately after the d.throw at ANY % (even 999%). (And for anybody who doesnt know, g&w can tech IMMEDIATELY upon being d.thrown in this situation.)

So yeah, next time you see a ****ing g&w, snag that first slot and rock that maa****er. Unless you think he doesnt know about all this, then just d.throw -> d.smash him all day. XD

otg

Smash Master
Good **** Dogy, nice find. I was going to say it seemed wrong, as I played a G&W main last friday and had no problem connecting after Dthrow. We need to update Smashmac's guide.

I'd contribute for w'e guide as well, I'm most of the regulars will jump on board.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
:D

I actually started to call you and tell you, but I picked up my ps2 controller and started practicing GG:AC and got sidetracked.

Doc is off the chain, but I can never turn down May.

___

Im still surprised nobody's every thought of this. But at the same time, who the **** plays doc vs g&w anyway? XD

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Wow, good find, Dogy. Do you know if this is just for Doc or is it for anyone else? I know Game and Watch reacts really strangely to a bunch of different dthrows...

ridikulus

Smash Apprentice
I'd contribute for w'e guide as well, I'm most of the regulars will jump on board.
desh:

yeaaahhh yeaaaah fo rizzle i'de halp 8D
*even if im useless lol*

^____^
SPIKES
i started on the frog shoop.
its ****ing hard.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Wow, good find, Dogy. Do you know if this is just for Doc or is it for anyone else? I know Game and Watch reacts really strangely to a bunch of different dthrows...
i tried mario and luigi and samus.

None of those 3 can ever d.throw g&w. XD

I started to go through all the characters, but i was like "Realistically, im going to be playing doc, or im going to be playing some dumb lowtier vs G&W." I mean, i might throw my falco at him, but would i have to worry about that? NO!

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Oh... well I know for a fact that Game and Watch doesn't take damage from Ness' dthrow, stuff like that.

Why does he get all weird about dthrows, do we know?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
does port priority exist for anything else?

i didnt even know this was legal.
yes it does, what all i cant remember.

I know one thing is that when 2 throw connect at the same time, higher priority gets the grab. i forget the other stuff.

The other big thing that comes from ports is initial positioning on stages. Such as, You dont want to be (i think) p4 vs p1 fox on pokemon stadium, or p3 vs p2 (i could have 3 and 4 mixed up), that's the double shine start setup. Personally, when I go to Corneria, i tend to want p1 so i can start on the fin, cut somebody from the backside, and rain pills down on them from the start. I know some yoshi players awhile ago liked (i think) p2 on pokefloats because they could camp squirtles arm and throw eggs.

its not illegal to get to the gamecube first and...insert controller in number 1
Technically speaking, if both people give a **** about port priority, you're supposed to either 1) give the first option to the higher ranked player, or 2) flip a coin for it.

Its usually not listed in rules anymore cause nobody REALLY gives a **** in melee.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
There's also the whole... if two people go for the ledge at the same time, the higher priority gets the grab.

Top Bottom