• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
URGET NEWs. PLEASE READ AND REsPOND!!!!

Many of you have experienced the AWESOME power of Planet Zero during previous HOBOs and many of you continue to return to the venue and battle it out in Brawl. Well some interesting things have happened in the recent weeks that i need to tell you people about.

Planet Zero recently moved to a new venue(across the street) and has dug itselfs a grave with the fighting game community. Some of you know this some of you dont. I will explain.

1. Did you know that John(the owner) has now made a deal that if ANYBODY brings in outside for or drinks he will called the tow truck guys and have your car hauled off? Its happened already to some. He wants you to buy his drinks/food.

2. Did you know that johns helper(the asian chic) has tried to take money from the pot at several of the HOBOs held at Planet Zero?

3. Did you know that Planet Zero has a LARGE history of not paying its players. MANY MANY times have players claimed 1st-3rd and not recieved a single dime. To this day they still owe players money from MONTHS ago. This has not happened with the smash community, thankfully.

4. Did you know that WHOBO(world hobo) was going to be sponsored by the car company NISSAN in april 2009? Nissan was going to throw out 1000$ on top of whatever pot money the players form at anime matsu. John now lost that contract.......So how am i going to explain to the HIGHLY SKILLED/WELL KNOWN players who already bought passes/plane tickets that the 1000$ which was PROMISED now wont be there. oh and by the way, john didnt tell us the contract backfired.......i had to find it out through another source...which leads me to believe that john was planning for us to take the fall.

5. Now this can be confirmed from MANY MANY MANY other fighting game communities(mvsc2/sf/gg....ect). John does alot of shady shiz. Any thing to make a buck even if its dishonest is ok with him. From this day forward, Neither me or dugfin will ever hold an event at Planet Zero.

So! Having said all of this, THERE WiLL NOT BE A BRAWL TOURNAMENT AT THE ANIME MATSURI IN APRIL 2009! IF YOU HAVE BOUGHT A PASS THROUGH DUGFIN, PLZ CONTACT HER TO GeT A REFUND! IF YOU BOUGHT YOUR PASS FROM SOME ONE OTHER THAN DUGFIN, THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO. For that, i deeply apologize!!!!!!!

WHOBO has now changed to U HOBO(ultimate hobo). The date is now set for March 21st-22nd. Its a 2 day event with melee and brawl! The event is happening just at a different location and date. Some details about UHOBO are on the front page but more will follow in the coming days.

If you have ANY questions or comments, plz post RIGHT NOW or PM me. Also, plz post the date you are having SPRING BREAK. If the majority of you are having spring break at a later date i will attempt to change the UHOBO date.
Man I told you Planet Zero was iffy. Sorry to hear about this though. I'm assuming John is Emotiongear. I've read his posts online and he's a terribly sketchy and misleading person.

I'm just glad you found out now instead of several months down the line.

CY

Smash Ace
allan is ******** and trys to sound important with big letters. btw, i didn't go to the LA tournament so idk where you got your information from. but we can MM allan if you would like.

btw guys, IT ****ING SNOWED IN BEAUMONT! i has some pics

me and my truck :D yes i look slighty high in this pic and squinting heh.

My house :D

allan if buttmontain sucks so bad, take beat you in yalls set, and i know i lost but i made some crucial mistakes and got gimped extremly early both games. i can say right now, every single person from beaumont would and will beat you in a set. good day sir

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
See that right there, Drew? Quoting a huge *** post, right after it, when people can easily read it in the original post? That is WAY more obtrusive than signatures.

Sad to hear about it. PZ was kinda cool =/

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I wished it snowed more over where I live...

Yeah, I always had a bad feeling about PZ in general. Some of my friends who used to regularly go there stopped going because they thought the place was too shady. And what do you know, I'm not surprised this happened. Sucks to hear the Whobo got canceled. :ohwell:

Hopefully the people who already bought their plane tickets can get most/all of their money back. :ohwell:

The weekend mentioned is fine on my end. Both UH and HCC have those days at the end of Spring Break. I'll help out anyways I can. Long live UHOBO! :)

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
im not gonna make johns. buttmont sucks.

when is everybodies spring break! i need to know.

Drew, plz get rid of those pics plz.

CY

Smash Ace
im not gonna make johns. buttmont sucks.

when is everybodies spring break! i need to know.

Drew, plz get rid of those pics plz.
please drew, ban this man because everytime i read his posts, i die a little inside. i know this isn't an english course, but seriously type out your ****ing words and make a complete sentence! sometimes you give TX a bad name with your ridiculous posts.

and beaumont > you. play me next tournament guy.

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
hahahah so much hate in this thread. yall melee and brawl communities argue even more that LA. I'm going to start posting in this thread though bc it does seem to be pretty pro. :D

BUT i mean come on get me on with these mm's. ill money match anybody 5$ with my sheik and i'll money match any meta knight with my lucario.;D(dojo knows all about that. haha)

All you guys are sexy. (homo? no.)

jog

Smash Journeyman
so what happens to the HOBO planned in january? just at a different venue or what? because i was looking forward to one in january and it being at PZ since its 15 minutes from my house. but since that's not going to happen what are the plans?

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
so what happens to the HOBO planned in january? just at a different venue or what? because i was looking forward to one in january and it being at PZ since its 15 minutes from my house. but since that's not going to happen what are the plans?
Go to Final Smash 5 in San Antonio

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
So PlanetZero (the venue with the badass well kept cabinets and amazing fighter selection) is a fraud?

I'll try to defend the owner for a minute.
1-The owner is smart to not allow outside food in order to make his own profit by allowing customers to enjoy the environment that HE has created. It's called entrepreneurship...don;t hate the player. Hate the game.

2-The asian chic has big *******. Women with provactive wear tend to be a little sketchy. This is written in the book of who to one night stand and who not to one night stand. Collusion happens everywhere...people suck.

3-Where's the evidence of this large history? Give us readers some resources before making that claim. *yes I've heard about it before...but you make it out that it happens at EVERY tournament.

4-This happens. $1k in sponsorship advertising is nothing to Nissan. Perhaps their advertising excecutive declared the sponsorship to be a waste of funds and decided to spend their $ elsewhere. Let it be known that if I knew somethin like that bailed out on me...I would also not be very excited to let the news out. This "john" guy probably has poor character in the first place (as you make him out to be). Even if he has a poor character, he's allowing us to use his venue on a weekend in which he probably nets ~$300-500 based on turnout in venue fees. Not including the fees he generates from playing the cabinets and drinks/food.

5-Again please let us know what resources you have supporting your claim.

Thanks in advance for replying to my points. I'm by no means saying that you and dugfinn shouldn't use their venue...that's your choice. However, I'd like for you to know that the venue is a VERY nice venue to host tournaments at.

oh yeah I gota edit this: So there is NO $ brawl tournaments at Anime Matsugi (or whatever it's called)? Also, was there any $ brawl tournaments at YULECON (In FT.WORTH)??????? Dec 5th to the 7th????

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Look for the thread Tomball Monthlies. They will have a tourney on Jan 3. :)

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
So PlanetZero (the venue with the badass well kept cabinets and amazing fighter selection) is a fraud?

I'll try to defend the owner for a minute.
1-The owner is smart to not allow outside food in order to make his own profit by allowing customers to enjoy the environment that HE has created. It's called entrepreneurship...don;t hate the player. Hate the game.

2-The asian chic has big *******. Women with provactive wear tend to be a little sketchy. This is written in the book of who to one night stand and who not to one night stand. Collusion happens everywhere...people suck.

3-Where's the evidence of this large history? Give us readers some resources before making that claim. *yes I've heard about it before...but you make it out that it happens at EVERY tournament.

4-This happens. $1k in sponsorship advertising is nothing to Nissan. Perhaps their advertising excecutive declared the sponsorship to be a waste of funds and decided to spend their $ elsewhere. Let it be known that if I knew somethin like that bailed out on me...I would also not be very excited to let the news out. This "john" guy probably has poor character in the first place (as you make him out to be). Even if he has a poor character, he's allowing us to use his venue on a weekend in which he probably nets ~$300-500 based on turnout in venue fees. Not including the fees he generates from playing the cabinets and drinks/food.

5-Again please let us know what resources you have supporting your claim.

Thanks in advance for replying to my points. I'm by no means saying that you and dugfinn shouldn't use their venue...that's your choice. However, I'd like for you to know that the venue is a VERY nice venue to host tournaments at.
I can gladly do this, being that I host more than smash tournaments and I'm in touch with the SRK community.

1. Towing is pretty extreme in any case. Dunno about the legality of it, but I'm willing to bet that car towing only applies to people who park in the wrong spot. Anyway you look at it something like this being true is bad for a reputation.

2. Hotness shouldn't mean you get to steal other people's money. Of course, I'm wondering where in the world he gets these accusations, short of catching her red handed.

3. Just look on SRK. They have BANNED Planet Zero from posting anymore tournaments until they resolve their issue of NOT PAYING PEOPLE. You want proof? I can give you a link to a thread posted by THE OWNER, Mr Wizard, of SRK.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=163933

On dustloop, you can learn about a certain GG player who was simply removed and replaced from a GG team that had won a PZ qualifier for SBO. When questioned about the switch, they made up excuses such as "that was never the prize" and "the player was of unfit character to represent Planet Zero"

Who was added to the team that went to SBO? Why it was Kensou, a Planet Zero represenative, a Chipp player that frequents Planet Zero and has been trying to go to SBO for years. Did he qualify? No. But he went anyway, thanks to being friends with the owner!

That should be enough.

4- He never informed Xyro of the contract failing. How can you not miss that as being unethical? When you can't inform people of important matters such as this, you fail at public relations because you can't speak to anyone. Ignoring your audience and clients is simply immature.

5-I've already giving you plenty of info. You don't have to dig deep to find more.

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
King Mosquito, thank you for doing the necessary. I'm all for banning PZ. A dallas player TotalToanage in MvC2 took 1st at a PZ tourny and was asked to come to them for a "CHECK." Which he never received. More evidence as to why this venue is balls. GL Xyro and Dugfinn for finding an even better venue.

Bump *were there $ brawl tournaments at YULECON?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I don't think the UH things is going on anymore. What, with the whole finals coming up. Don't go. :)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Like RT said, you should check out the first Tomball monthly coming up Jan 3rd. Theres a link in my signature =]

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
King Mosquito, thank you for doing the necessary. I'm all for banning PZ. A dallas player TotalToanage in MvC2 took 1st at a PZ tourny and was asked to come to them for a "CHECK." Which he never received. More evidence as to why this venue is balls. GL Xyro and Dugfinn for finding an even better venue.

Bump *were there $ brawl tournaments at YULECON?
You're welcome good sir. Now come to Final Smash 5 in January ;)

While I hope for the success of UHOBO, I wonder if there will be a suitable venue for Houston smash anytime soon. Hobo 12 was rather small because it was in Beaumont IIRC.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
The Kansas crew will be sure to alter our schedules to make sure we can make it in March instead of April. No problems. Thanks for giving everyone the word up, Xyro. Speaking of tournaments, are you still planning on working with us in order to help make the Kansas Tournnament (NO KOST) a success with Texas smashers? We're hoping to get at least some of you guys up here for this. I'm looking at you Infinity :p. We're discussing which tournaments we'll be going to next and even though Infinity invited us to Final Smash we might have to pass it up in order to go to the MWC event.

DugFinn

Smash Apprentice
Yoh, anyone that got registered for the PZ/AM/Whobo tourney through me, email me if you'd like a refund. Or you can do nothing, and I'll automatically carry your info over and apply it to the new UHOBO tournament for March 21-22 (Spring Break weekend) so you'll still have a spot and you'll already be registered for it.

I apologize to anyone that bought a plane ticket or registered through the AM website. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do for you there.

It sucks to find out that John/Emotiongear and the rest of PZ was planning on letting us take the fall and not telling us that they lost the $1000 Nissan contract. They should have informed us of this. Oh well. This just means PZ burned the bridge with the Smash community too. Sucks for them.

I'll get info on the new UHobo tournament up as soon as I get it. Thanks for understanding guys. You rock!

You can call either me or Xyro for more info on what went down (or if you really want to hear someone vent ABDK/D'Agelo).

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Pozerwolf would never go to PZ tournaments. Now I know why :).

Also Lee!!! I will MM your shiek hehehe :). Also your Lucario.

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
On dustloop, you can learn about a certain GG player who was simply removed and replaced from a GG team that had won a PZ qualifier for SBO. When questioned about the switch, they made up excuses such as "that was never the prize" and "the player was of unfit character to represent Planet Zero"

Who was added to the team that went to SBO? Why it was Kensou, a Planet Zero represenative, a Chipp player that frequents Planet Zero and has been trying to go to SBO for years. Did he qualify? No. But he went anyway, thanks to being friends with the owner!

That should be enough.
I remember Kensou talking about this when I was at the Whataburger near Planet Zero a few nights before he left for japan. It sounded shady when he was trying to justify it, since when did competitive gaming become a test of character? Someone clearly got cheated out of a spot they deserved. I know he's a very good player but I dunno about being good enough to make a low tier character like chipp good enough to send off to SBO, considering all the other good players who play with much better characters. Here's an interesting read. http://www.mashharder.com/forums/showthread.php?p=72177#post72177.

You be the judge.

BS if you ask me.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Hey, does anyone know if they videos of the teams loser finals from HOBO 13 were recorded? Also me and dojo did a 1v1 on there after and it was recorded too

PS:
sheepsex

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
I know he's a very good player but I dunno about being good enough to make a low tier character like chipp good enough to send off to SBO, considering all the other good players who play with much better characters.
Good stuff Stiltzskin. I can imagine a team of captain falcon and jigglypuff going to Japan lookin to score.

Thanks for the read.

DugFinn

Smash Apprentice
dugg finn are u the hostess of onii con
No. Big Bruno is. He's into old school arcades soooo... Chances are, their console tournaments will, for lack of a better word, suck. Also, nothing is cash pot and the prizes are bleh to meh, so it's not worth the entry fee into the con. Word of advice, don't bother..... Although you can always sneak in! *winks*

Edit: I'd score in Japan if I was Capt. Falcon...... Wait! Are we talking about IN tournament?! Oh... Never mind, eh heh... ;)

kown

Smash Lord
No. Big Bruno is. He's into old school arcades soooo... Chances are, their console tournaments will, for lack of a better word, suck. Also, nothing is cash pot and the prizes are bleh to meh, so it's not worth the entry fee into the con. Word of advice, don't bother..... Although you can always sneak in! *winks*

Edit: I'd score in Japan if I was Capt. Falcon...... Wait! Are we talking about IN tournament?! Oh... Never mind, eh heh... ;)
can u tell me how?
or could u get me a pass.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Hey, my spring break is the 16th-20. 21st is a saturday and 22nd is a Sunday. I can only make it on the 21st. Is the 21st brawl or melee? (i hope brawl)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom