• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheiks DASHDance/ Foxtrot vs. Wavedash (a mini-guide)

soap

Smash Hero
Ive seen many posts claiming that sheik has a crappy un-useful dash dance, ive always been to lazy to express my views on it but right now id like to say that it is just different and in fact has many advantages over straight running back and wavedashes.

Firstly u have to know the right way to do it and that is the slower long dashes done by jamming the stick one way, release, other way release, as opposed to just ****** the stick and doing a tornado in place. long and quick ones to move the dash dance (same as every other dash dance, many of the things are the same save some unique properties)

the thing that sticks out is sheiks funky looking initial dash which most dash dances dont have, which may appear to slow u down but in fact gives some unique advantages.

Foxtrot vs. run

first i want u to try something, plug in an empty controller and stand right next to the marth, hit the stick away to start running away from the marth, then after a second hit pause. now look at the animation of sheik running, flat to the ground dragging her feet behind her.

now stand back next to him and this time jam the stick away from him and let go, hit pause. You will notice she goes into a fresh-looking jitterhop slide with her feet scooped nicely under her body.

now this is not only the animation, but ive experienced getting my tippy toes tipped while running away from a fsmash, and experienced the difference of foxtrot sliding just out of range of attacks

Foxtrot vs. wavedash

Now u can ask why not just wavedash back space, well the most obvious advantage is that wavedash induces a small amount of lag where u r vulnerable, especially if faster characters had accounted for your spacing, combine the fact that sheiks wavedash is relatively short compared to samus/marth and if you are like me i found myself getting falcon stomped out of backward wavedashes and such.

foxtrot can be instantly cancelled with a jump so u can always instantly just bair to stop just about any approach, and if ur like me i like to be facing away ready to bair quite a bit.

additionally, u can instantly turn around and dash the opposite direction without having to overcome the momentum from a wavedash in the opposite direction and can punish low lag tilts and jabs with a grab much easier. If u are comfortable enough u can even pivot out of this long foxtrot into jabs and ftilt or dsmash. although even i find it easier to WD back if i plan on spacing with a ftilt, it is much more consistent, if i plan on grab i use the foxtrots.

Combining them:

here is the downfall of the foxtrot, after u foxtrot away, it takes a good second for her to recover from her "sliding on a wood floor in socks animation" allowing u to repeat another foxtrot forward, if u attempt it too early u go into a weird acid trip dash. it is only instant to run back the other direction ( strangely enough it is the exact opposite in brawl, the forward foxtrot can be repeated at a much quicker rate, and u cant turn back at all).

now remember that u can jump whenevs so u can continue forward quickly and reset yourself with a wavedash, then be able to foxtrot away again or do a quick pivot to go back the other way for the grab. and this is the basis of general spacing.

So the general formula is foxtrot > wavedash > quick dash dance pivot.

i believe this covers the most distance the quickest giving u the most options during any step.

Hope u enjoyed the read, props to Nihonjin for being the first sheik that opened my eyes to the usefulness of her dash dance a couple years ago when i had simply discarded it after people telling me not to use it at all. Ive found some interesting things myself too from experimentation.

was thinking of recording some brief examples but i dont have my stuff with me, hopefully u can visualize everything. Instead i have a kinda old match where I applied alotta dash dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXU_c8a714

its on FD so i didnt have my usual platform games and played with kinda defensive dash dance spacing, i prolly do it too much, but u get the idea of how it can be used.

soap

Smash Hero
lol i meant just the first page, cuz kids are always comin in askin questions that are answered on the first page.

LIKe " how do u start the match as sheik?!?" and stuff like that

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
pshhhhhhh

if they can't figure out how to start the match as sheik i doubt putting this guide on the front page will do much good

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Wait... I thought foxtrotting was repeatedly using the dash to move around and never enter the run? This is just dashing once...

You should rename it. To like. Initial D or something misleadingly cool like that.

soap

Smash Hero
i always thought repeating initial dashes forward was fail cuz it takes too long to recover normally.

i sometimes do use the acid dash to wavedash back mindgame. u look like ur trippin, but then ur like....mindgames

i like the word foxtrot though, it makes me feel like fox

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
yo tec u should put this in the first page of that thread that nobody checks rofl
I did just now ^_^

And yea ... after the guide was up there were some threads asking questions on how to do Sheik's ledgestall.

Like wtf >_<.

Anyway this is cool so its there :bee:

worldjem7

Smash Ace
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I stole this stuff and now it's helping me.

<3 soap

So slippery ^____^

(KK posting)

soap

Smash Hero
rofl P's got haters.

sethlon 2 good though. i played him friendlies at FCD, never seen such creative use of roy sword dance, it was mystical.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
the first one was 2-1, second was 2-0 but by that time crowd johns make me chokesies =(

no johns tho,i was cocky and overconfident and he ***** me for it. good **** sethlon <3

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
This loss by P disables his ability to tell anyone else they suck
except that's not gonna change the way i am at all

uhh $25 mm marth (you) v sheik (me)? i'm sure at the least we'll see each other at genesis

sethlon was also really chill about ****** me, considering the trash talk (c) kramer that i did before the match. plus it was recorded so i look really really bad, which will just get me more money matches in the future! too good

Europhoria

Smash Lord
I already offered you a money match P. I'm putting $10 just for you. It's expensive to travel so I don't usually do MMs. It's just funny because you use Sheik xD If you used any other character it wouldn't be nearly as bad

Well I mean... If you actually show up at Genesis it'll happen. I hear you have a history of johning out of big tournaments >_>

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Them be fightin' words!

EDIT: If the match happens, you guys should definitely record it.

Whatever happened to the $100 money match between Mew2King and Drephen?

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
I hear you have a history of johning out of big tournaments >_>
pretty sure you have ****ty sources then, i miss like one tournament out of 20

i don't marth ditto and am beyond horrible at it. why marth ditto when that's what sheik is for?

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Because Sheik v. Marth is like 70/30 lol I wanna see how you do in a true even match up ;)
I'm still going after your Sheik for $10 with my Marth

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
lol @ marth v sheik being 70/30

methinks you're just johning your character

even if it is, tough ****, maybe you should pick a new character if it's that bad -shrugs-

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
well get off your ***** on the west coast and come to something. attending every SoCal tourneyd oesnt count.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
there's a lot less motivation to go OOS when there are 2+ melee tournaments every month. the scene is pretty big here so it's pretty hard to imagine what you're missing. compare that to pretty much every single other area, where they're super excited to get one tournament within an hour from them a month. we're spoiled.

going to norcal (which is basically OOS) opened my eyes though, so i'll try. but that ****'s expensive and i'm starting school again and i'm bad with money /johns. plus in my mind there was no point going OOS if you're not good enough to hold your own (and i want to do more than hold my own). but i'm almost good enough so i do plan on going OOS soon.

the next problem is getting more socal to join me. i mean let's be honest, it's a pretty big commitment / inconvenience / expense

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
it is i know...im just saying if you are going to talk big and all that...you gotta come out of your region..thtas all

Top Bottom