• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

∫unk

Smash Master
Shaya mm me my meta and/or marth vs your marth.

I also want to vs you with my bowser or ike those can be mm or just friendlies idc.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
maybe the same as yours?

Except I'm most worried about America's diddys and olimars. There aren't any/enough in Australia (the only proficient diddy I know I beat anyway [Vyse]) and no one uses Olimar ;_;.

every national singles tournament has had a metaknight winner. Regular tournaments down south usually go to a every top tier ***** (Usually just meta/snake), tournaments far west are Lucario/Snake, tournaments further out west are Snakes/Tinks, up north is Metas and where I am is Metas and Pits ;_; (R.O.B. won the last one I hosted though).

VietGeek

Smash Hero
1. Who the **** does Fair straight into dancing blade! ****. IT's always fair, dtilt then dancing blade. ughh.
I-I'm sorry sir! I forgot Dedede is a fat penguin and not some lightweight woman with heels of steel and WTF floatness! ;_;

Your move selection is lacking. It's okay to throw out tired johns. Because I'm pretty sure I've seen much smarter playing from you in the past.
Elaborate sir? Do you mean like what moves I prefer to throw out in situation X? Or do you mean I use too few moves?

Lylat would have been a much better counter pick.
I noticed this once I got into the water way too much for my own good. ._. Thaaannnkkksss.

You fell for ff bair too much. He would be above you and bam ff bair. Some pro spacing techniques would have allowed you to gone about uairing him EVERY SINGLE TIME, but whatever.
Now sir, would these pro spacing techniques involve me Uairing before he FFs, or shield his bair then do whatever? Or neither?

No dsmashes, ever. I love dsmash, everyone loves dsmash. Everyone who doesn't smells. Downsmash would be killing the D3 untippered at around the 140s; Delfino perhaps a bit more. Instead you let him live until the 180-190s doing dancing blades and sh fairs...
I'll keep Dsmash in mind.

P.S. Jab also covers his ff bair. The jab hitbox is above your head and infront of you, jab is good.
Any other uses for jab? I mean, my move selection is horrible so that must mean I have no idea what I'm doing 50% of the time so I'm going to ask you sir.

D3 of course has the slight advantage in this match up, and there's good reasons why. You have moves to help though. And due to D3's size, poking with shieldbreaker from time to time would have been nice. POKE POKE.
I'll try to keep this in mind sir.

P.S - Anyone know why DBD3 and D3's Ftilt clashed? I thought Dancing Blade's hitboxes couldn't be clanked with?

Learn to counter D3's ffbair please. By the way, come to genesis in July, I'll vs you or something.
Counter...hmmmm

Genesis...

sounds faraway and expensive.

EDIT - I wait out any attempts at Swallows, right? Just waaaiiittt iiitttt oouuuuttt?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You're not allowed to complain about expense. I'm coming from a foreign country.

And I didn't mean use the move counter, but if it works for you try it. Considering how he was reasonably predictable with the reversed jumping above you stuff, go for it.

When I say lacking move selection; I mean you were bad, you were throwing out moves that wouldn't hit, when there were other moves that COULD HAVE HIT, or at least been safer. Review your videos - Did I do a move and did it miss? Did I get punished? COULD HAVE I DONE A JAB!?

Jab is very evil, no guaranteed combos but it combos into everything. Seriously. TRY IT. Untippered Jab at short hop height is like **** YEAH FREE DSMASH!

Also don't play so evilly sarcastic, I hate you :(

Also about the uairs against ffbair, TRY BOTH. Hell you may even be able to like DASH ahead of him and BAIR HIM INSTEAD FOR HIS INSOLENCE. TREAT HIM AS AN INFIDEL IN YOUR TEMPLE KNOWN AS MARTH'S HAPPY SPACE INVADER SQUATER.

By the way, talking about expenses, Junk - you should just give me money to vs you.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
You're not allowed to complain about expense. I'm coming from a foreign country.
The US is bigger than it needs to be and I'm a child with no income.

Yeah, I said it.

When I say lacking move selection; I mean you were bad, you were throwing out moves that wouldn't hit, when there were other moves that COULD HAVE HIT, or at least been safer. Review your videos - Did I do a move and did it miss? Did I get punished? COULD HAVE I DONE A JAB!?
This basically is one of those mental things you can only fix after getting better judgment skills. :(

I guess we're going to have to wait a few months since I only fight real people once a month. <_<

I'll try to keep in mind jab...and dsmash...and Shield Breaker...

and not being stupid. Although *no sarcasm* I have no idea how that one will work out.

Thanks Shaya! </3

Now for Steel's version with American lulz. o_O

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
*stretches

maybe it's time to come out of my critique retirement

VIETGEEK

:11, you approach and do a full hop as his ftilt misses, in turn you miss a chance to fair and almost got grabbed. you punish the missed grab with dancing blade.. but since you suck at the combo he was able to shield it. In turn you get grabbed a few times.. probably should have been more but from what I can tell already this d3 can't CG marth. Why did you jump up after the second dthrow? The safest way to escape is to simply walk away, you put yourself into a bad position by doing this.

At :19 now, you come down with a bair and throw out a fair to cover yourself. Fair enough, situation is reset to neutral. He throws a wd at you and you shield it, but instead of continuing to pursue the penguin you jump backwards allowing him to gain ground on you and throw more red things at you... you get hit. He expects the quick retaliation and rolls away to reset the situation. He misses an ftilt and you hit him with a fair. I'm at :24.

You have him up against the corner now. He tries to rush in for a grab and you swat him back out with a nair, good choice. However, you try to follow up and instead of attacking where they WILL be you attacked where he IS. This in turn gets you hit by a dair. Now you're up in the air and get hit by the hammer. He made a poor attempt at :30 to grab you, you got lucky here. You thought about retaliating, but you realized your spacing was off so you just retreated a fair to regain your footing. That's fine. D3 was able to rush you at this point and you tried another fair, dash attack went right through it. If I were in this position i would have rolled behind him, he was either going to dash attack or shield grab, i think a roll would have put you in a very advantageous position. At :33, you land on a platform and stupidly just walk into his bair, surely you saw this coming? Your stall also failed hard, because you felt the need to fast fall after the forward b which got you gimped. D3 still on 3rd stock with rather low percent.

At :43, you land from the elevator platform stock-loss thing. What are you doing? Do you realize you have invincibility frames and D3 is backed up into a corner hoping you don't pursue him? You did just as he wanted you to do. I can tell at this point you're of him.

He PS's a fair and rolls behind you. This was good on his part but he failed to shield grab your up air, you got lucky. At :48 that looked like some wifi dancing blade buffering gimmick. But since it's offline i'm going to say you tried to defend yourself with DS since you messed up the timing. There were much better options, jumping away probably being the safest. You get punished with a dash attack.

You come back on stage with a fair and it connects. You wait for his reaction, and punish with a grab. good. You follow up the fthrow with a dancing blade and send him into the air. Your juggle trap fails hard when you up smash, expecting he'd just fast fall. Instead he jumped and was able to get back on his feet and hits you with a bair. You have to be more patient and don't rule out going to the air during juggles, up smash isn't end all.

At :58 now, i'm not sure why you jumped when you were that far away from him. He his with a waddle dee. He makes a mistake and tries to go up to the platform with you, you punish with a bair of your own. 1:02, what are you jumping around for? You miss your chance to pursue him on the platform.

You get greedy when you have him on the ledge and go for an fsmash. Even if tipped, it probably wouldn't have killed him if he DI'd correctly. I would have rushed in with a grab, i doubt he would take an offensive position at this point when he is backed against the corner. Instead he is able to roll behind you and grab. You're sent off stage. You make a mistake by recovering high, he makes a mistake by doing a worthless ftilt. If this d3 was good, he would have gayed you with a bair easily. Putting you down to only 1 stock to his 3. Anyway, you take advantage of his mistake and throw him off stage. You take advantage of his recovery, but ruin it at 1:17 when you try to fsmash.. charged no less. It gets PS'd and punished. Come on now, he's recovering from a bad spot and he has no good options cover himself except taking a defensive position. Rushing in with a grab here would have been perfect and would have successfully reset the situation.

Anyway, you get grabbed. Desu disproves my earlier conception that he can't CG marth, i guess he can. Good, i get to watch you fail easier. At 1:21 you do the right thing and just walk away. But instead of taking the SAFE option and grabbing the ledge you try to retaliate and recover high again. You get hit. You get up from the ledge this time and try to retaliate with a DB, you get owned by D3's warp grab. He sends you back off stage. Welcome to gayness town, you get hit by a bair. You probably should have seen this coming and just up b'd instead of jumping, but w/e.

1:32, you once again take your time with these invinc frames. Seems you like to wear them off and just let your opponent sit there sipping tea. How nice of you.

He tries to get up from the ledge and does a ledge attack. You had your shield up.. why'd you let go? Could have DS'd or grabbed. He throws a waddle at you and you fall into his trap, you try to jump over it and when you land you are given an ftilt to the face. You can shield those.. you know. What exactly could you have possibly benefited from jumping at that distance? hmm??

You try to space a fair and it misses, but then you completely give up any stage positioning you had and jump all the way to the other side of the stage.. almost getting you hit by a spike thing. You're pushed onto the ledge.. he misses an ftilt, once again i would have punished his obvious going-to-shield with a grab.. but instead you forget you have to space yourself and get yourself grabbed after a few aerial attempts.

1:47 now, he messes up his chain grab and you punish with a dthrow. Look, he recovered high and you did something right!

Tsukasa approves.

At 1:58 you get grabbed.. thrown off the stage.. fall into his same bair trap... get gimped. ><

You need help!

ill talk to you about it on msn or something, and i didn't really like shaya's tips or if they would help you at all lol

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
My tips are all the ones my level 9 CPU Marth has learnt to use coz he is awesome.

Oh but seriously my "tips" are use more of your moves, because they are there and THEY DO **** AND WORK.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I should put a video of myself up. I feel pretty confident about my Marth but I miss opportunities. What would be the best thing to buy to get some matches online, a capture card I think?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I liked Steel critique more...if only because there was four instances of fail, and there were cute little Lucky Star images.

Oh, and less sighing. Just cold sarcastic inquiry.

^_^

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Okay Viet.

Replace all of my *sigh*s with:

"Man that was pretty manly what you just did! Did your entourage of fan girls who adore your fantastic ability of brawl and marth orgasm at the sight of this spectacular instance of your greatness?"

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Okay Viet.

Replace all of my *sigh*s with:

"Man that was pretty manly what you just did! Did your entourage of fan girls who adore your fantastic ability of brawl and marth orgasm at the sight of this spectacular instance of your greatness?"
Women & I don't mix. Ever.

/endShaya

VietGeek

Smash Hero
That is so cute Viet. I whanna give you a big cuddle!
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=CJx42iHLQKo JUST AS CUTE AS KEN!

EDIT: Replace women with Animu girls.
I'm pretty sure Anime girls would hate me as well. <_<

But yeah, Steel and I went through what I need to do to improve. I have a lot to work on.

Chances are I'll never even fulfill those request. I guess it's pointless really to try to catch up with all the other Marth mains.

When you get left behind, everyone will continually move on, while you play catch up. It's a losing battle, I'll never be able to call myself even half-decent, not even mediocre.

Freezewish

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Anime girls would hate me as well. <_<

But yeah, Steel and I went through what I need to do to improve. I have a lot to work on.

Chances are I'll never even fulfill those request. I guess it's pointless really to try to catch up with all the other Marth mains.

When you get left behind, everyone will continually move on, while you play catch up. It's a losing battle, I'll never be able to call myself even half-decent, not even mediocre.

Not again viet. <_<

You need to watch this vid now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ArHas4eozE

You'll come out a changed man.:)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Not again viet. <_<

You need to watch this vid now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ArHas4eozE
You'll come out a changed man.:)
Watched it before. Didn't change anything. It was rather amusing though.

Watch it again.

I have fought the best players of GA before. More than once. I haven't gotten better.

I mean, this is the same Marth still doing the same **** deemed 22good in May.

I can beat the usual, average player. But I'll never be able to beat anyone notable with Marth.

Because I suck ass, and it isn't Marth's problem, it's mine because I just suck with him.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Tell yourself that you main TL, that takes away the sting of sucking with marth.
That sir, is called denial.

In other news, I just got ***** by an Ike that just did jab > roll on Wi-Fi.

Now I'm seriously considering quitting Marth. <_<

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
xD maybe so, i just uploaded the most recent match i had that wasn't laggy since i can finally record. critique anyways please?

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
That sir, is called denial.

In other news, I just got ***** by an Ike that just did jab > roll on Wi-Fi.

Now I'm seriously considering quitting Marth. <_<
If you quit, then i can't say you suck.

Don't quit.

I've got a roll to fullfill here, man!

(whimpers in a corner)

feardragon64

Smash Champion
@Bengals: biggest thing is stage awareness. You got hot by far too many nades, mines, lost conttol of the stage, etc.

@Tangy: learn to space and DI. Stop jumping into the ****.

Short post cause it's on my iphone >>

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
I only have one (rather bad one) for now, but I want to see what the Marth boards think of my Marth.

First off, let me apologize for the sandbagging at the beginning. I don't start to get a little more serious until I lose my first stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObtKLN2aChU

I know how to SH with Marth and all. It's not a great video for critiquing, but I'll have a better video up when I get the chance...

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Ok waffles, i have a question. Is marth your friend's main? If not then post a vid of you fighting against his real main. Marth dittos are sorta....eh. I just think you need to learn how to play a bit safer (short hopping is a small part of this)

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Ok waffles, i have a question. Is marth your friend's main? If not then post a vid of you fighting against his real main. Marth dittos are sorta....eh. I just think you need to learn how to play a bit safer (short hopping is a small part of this)
His main is Shiek, but he used to main Marth. He considers Marth an alt now.

I'll get some new vids up sometime, that one was rather... bad.
What I find funny is that although I ask for advice, the first thing most people talk about is MisFate, in almost every video I post. xD

...But they're usually questioning his level of skill, soo... :urg:

cman

Smash Ace
I only have one (rather bad one) for now, but I want to see what the Marth boards think of my Marth.

First off, let me apologize for the sandbagging at the beginning. I don't start to get a little more serious until I lose my first stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObtKLN2aChU

I know how to SH with Marth and all. It's not a great video for critiquing, but I'll have a better video up when I get the chance...
There are several things, but since most of them are fairly easy to see and correct, I won't touch those.

However, there is one tactical mistake that i doubt you are even aware of. You ledge play is terrible. When he was hanging, you let him up every time without even damaging him. First, you stood right next to the edge each time. That puts you in a terrible position, as he can ledge drop fair you and remain perfectly safe. Space youself back a bit from the ledge, out of range of the ledge drop attack and his get up attack. You can punish every action he can make from that position. Second, when on the ledge, you pretty predictably faired every time. Being predictable with that is very dumb, since you could easily get swatted away with an DS OoS and be left without a midair jump. The standard jump is much safer, but still try not to get too predictable. Also, don't try to dair him so much, as most of the time you will miss. The only time I ever really dair is if i manage to get a footstool.

Question for whoever: Why did he jump so high at 1:07?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom