• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

DrewB008

Smash Lord
what do you mean "they tech the right way"?

theres no tech that you can't follow if you predict it, you have to predict if youre gonna do a move besides regrabbing to punish, and most people can only react and regrab if they tech to the side.

if they laser high forward b can go under it, if they laser low nair can go over it. i like to do a lot of full jumps,trying to come down and space aerials, it works ok.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
I mean "tech the right way" as in i space myself to cover all options except (for example) teching to the right. So they tech to the right.

Thanks for the advice though, it's important to add variation to your jumps. Full jumps, fast double jumps, empty SH.. all that good stuff

Scar

#HarveyDent
Even if the matchup is even it's gay as hell, Jiggs is the dumbest character in the game by far, followed by Falco and Sheik.

ANYWAYS the Falco matchup is very dumb, I am very bad vs high level Falcos and Eggm CPd me Fox a few times but it was more because he wanted to play Fox than because he wanted to play ME with Fox. I am actually pretty good vs Fox (relatively) because of all my vs Cactuar practice.

Yes, if you mess up Falco can hit you, and yes, if Falco hits you he is going to hurt you badly. So yeah, you basically have to try your best not to get hit by anything but lasers. Mix up powershields and nairs and fulljumps, and only fB if you're confident it will hit.

Yeah honestly I do the same thing that you do vs Falco, try to be as quick as you can, don't get trapped by his gay ****, and if you hit him make him pay. If you don't follow up on your tech chases it's really sad because powerhits at over 50% vs Falco can be stocks.

Small tips, think about using dair>fsmash at really low %s, like 50ish. If it hits you can catch them with bad DI and take a really quick stock. Also end tech chases by choosing knees over dairs more frequently than vs Fox for the same reasons. Edgeguarding Falco is way easier than Fox.

If he upBs please just jump off and weak knee him.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
It's not a bad match-up at all. Down throw chains, down throw to dair, down throw to knee. Just use a bunch of these and you can **** Jiggs. As Mango just said, it's pretty even.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
hes just saying shes a stupid character, because she has 6 jumps and a one hit ko

also, grabs are really hard to get vs jiggs, and dthrow knee is a good way to get rested a lot actually. if the jiggs doesnt DI the dthrow, do uair. if she does, youre probably safe with a knee, but no guarantees cause i've seen people get rested out of dthrow knee a couple times even when i thought they were spaced.

Cia

das kwl
i just played scar in tournament, puff v falcon on mute. and at the last hit of the match the stage actually saved him. i was soo upset.

daamn you scar <3

Scar

#HarveyDent
Thx drew and I never said it was even a bad matchup, it's just an extremely stupid and gay matchup. The difficulty of the match really varies with how smart and patient the CF player is. Paper I see what you're saying about dthrow chains but show me a reliable way to grab Jiggs with CF and I'll give it to you. There are none.

In fact there are absolutely no reliable first hits in this matchup, which is fine b/c CF doesn't enjoy that in most of his matchups that are even or worse. But no other character can OHKO him for trying to grab.

Kike_Ichigo

Smash Cadet
But is the first weapon for all the Smash Players... trust me I dont have Patiencie either but I have too learn how too have patience xD

Alukard

Smash Hero
of course ... thats wat everything boils down to ... unless ur like fox ... and even then only the campiest of campy foxes win lol

Scar

#HarveyDent
yeah srsly

Uh I would make my own critique thread and link me to it, I will watch a vid and give you advice, though I'm not THAT great at noticing things. I'll tell you what I would have done tho.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Hey, I was playing my friend the other day and figured out a way to get an almost guaranteed knee on spacies at low percents.

First just grab the space animal. Then downthrow.

Now there are only a few options from here that your opponent can make.

If he techs, then you can basically get a free knee on him, and even if he doesn't, you probably can too.

If he techs in place, Raptor Boost to knee. If he techs away, while he's teching walk forward slowly and then Raptor Boost to Knee (the over+B will still reach him if you do it right). If he techs toward you and goes behind you, turn around and knee (or you could Raptor Boost if you like, but I don't like doing it too close to an opponent). If he techs toward you and doesn't, you can do the same thing--just without turning around.

Now here it becomes a little more tricky. If you're playing an unexperienced player who doesn't know how to tech (in this case I'm sure you don't need tips on how to get free knees) or an experienced player who's out of practice, then they might just not tech. But some people after getting tech chased from this enough just stop teching. If this is the case you have a few options:

Either just knee them before they get up OR if they look like they're getting up already, treat it as if they were teching and follow their roll.

The only difference would be is if they get up with an attack, in which case you might be able to knee their head, or just time it so you knee them the moment they finish the attack animation.

Basically, with this you can get a free knee on spacies at low percents after a grab. And even if someone starts catching on to this and gets used to it enough to trip you up--just upthrow them every so often and they'll miss their tech allowing for another free knee.

Anyone already do this?

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
how should I generally play Falcon Scar?

I didn't get TOO far into melee, but I play it WAY more than Brawl. Usually I try to duplicated SS's weirdness and SHFFL's with prediction (stuck in brawl >.<)

my general approaches are Nair and grab mainly that lead into usually tech-chases, i'll see if Nate can get some of my matches up-loaded but be warned that the matches I can get are after 3 weeks of Brawl (cause I left melee at Max's) so my melee Falcon was REALLY slow

no johns

D

Deleted member

How do you perform your gentlemans scar? I can shffl flawlessly at this point but normally I can only follow it up with the first two punches of the gentleman. I know you can cancel the third hit with basically anything, but I can't seem to get the timing down. What would you suggest?

Scar

#HarveyDent
Hey, I was playing my friend the other day and figured out a way to get an almost guaranteed knee on spacies at low percents.
This would be great if step 1 wasn't "predict what they are going to do". Unless I've misunderstood and you can do this on reaction, which I don't think is possible.

When I'm predicting I would usually end up dthrow > dair > regrabbing but same thing basically. Free knee is better vs Falco.

my general approaches are Nair and grab mainly that lead into usually tech-chases
Yeah that's perfect, who is your usual opponent and what character does he play? Character-specific help would be better for you probably, but if it's anyone not top tier just work on spamming shffls at them, work on combos as best you can (they're tough when you just start out but your opponent probably has bad DI so it works out), and find out when nair works best.

As soon as nair mechanics are second nature you're starting to hit another level with CF.

How do you perform your gentlemans scar
Yeah the fast gentleman is done by pressing A A A(hold).

The trick to the fast gentleman is that you MUST let go of A, don't tap it. So hit A, fully release, hit A again, fully release, and hit and hold A as fast as you can. At least one of the first two punches must hit the opponent for this to work.

After the third hit, figure out when you can cancel the rapid punches (it's just timing) and you can cancel it with dash, jump, shield, or any standing move. It's hard/weird at first to cancel gentleman into dash shffl knee because you're still holding A when you're dashing. Dash, let go of A, then shffl knee with either A or c-stick.

Just work on it, you'll get it. Note that MAGUS knows more about the gentleman than I do.

Magus: Do you know if CF's upB's vertical distance is affected by horizontal movement? I would imagine that it is, but it's not very significant.

demodemo

Smash Ace
scar, i find that sometimes when i try to uthrow with captain falcon, i end up bthrowing instead. this doesn't happen when i try to dthrow

i think it may be my controller, or just lack of control. when i deliberately smack up it does uthrow, but sometimes when i need to throw immediately (or else they break free) i end up bthrowing instead. did this happen to you when you were a beginner?

DrewB008

Smash Lord
ive been playing for 4 years and this happens to me, except more often with dthrow. i also hit up on the c stick when i try to hit to the side a lot too though, im just not good at simple parts of the game

aquteen

Smash Ace
I had the same problem for a while best advice i can give you is be more careful of where your pointing the control stick. like I found that when I was trying to f-air i would hit the c-stick diagonally down which would sometimes result in me doing a d-air so I just payed more attention to the direction I was pointing it and after a while it stopped happening. hope this helps

question time

Most of the time when I try and u-air to knee it seams that my opponents get out of hitstun before I can hit them with the knee. Am I not shffling my u-airs fast enough, or do you have to hit with a certain part of it?

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Depends on the character, DI, percentage, etc.

Some floatier characters, like Marth, you can just double jump into a knee after an uair, which is faster than shffling and then kneeing.

Kike_Ichigo

Smash Cadet
demodemo just like the other people said... you just have be more carefully with where are you pointing the C-sticxk some times I do de D-air when I wanna a Knee so... It happen too all the players xD

Scar

#HarveyDent
Question:
scar, i find that sometimes when i try to uthrow with captain falcon, i end up bthrowing instead. this doesn't happen when i try to dthrow
Answer:
ive been playing for 4 years and this happens to me
It still happens to me too, @ E52 I bthrew Darkrain in friendlies to which I scoffed and he responded: "Best throw in the game." We're all in the same boat, the more precise you are the less it will happen.
Most of the time when I try and u-air to knee it seams that my opponents get out of hitstun before I can hit them with the knee. Am I not shffling my u-airs fast enough, or do you have to hit with a certain part of it?
Answer:
Depends on the character, DI, percentage, etc.

Some floatier characters, like Marth, you can just double jump into a knee after an uair, which is faster than shffling and then kneeing.
This is a correct answer, the only thing about that is that it takes a lot of experience to know when characters aren't going to break out of stun before the knee. Uair dj knee was never easy for me until I was very fast, so if you don't think you know exactly when you can dj and you aren't that fast at kneeing you might just want to uair > uair and edgeguard instead.
scar how do i beat swiftbass i might have to play him this weekend and he beat me last time
lol Where is Swift? What is my tourney record vs him? hahahaa

Well last time I played him was 2 weekends ago, and he has gotten much better (as always). Swift doesn't really like CF so the best advice I can give you is to keep pressure on him and don't give him time to think, he can be really smart if you give him the opportunity.

<3 Swift TRISTATE MELEE BEST REGION IN THE WORLD

Alukard

Smash Hero
Question:

Answer:

It still happens to me too, @ E52 I bthrew Darkrain in friendlies to which I scoffed and he responded: "Best throw in the game." We're all in the same boat, the more precise you are the less it will happen.

Answer:

This is a correct answer, the only thing about that is that it takes a lot of experience to know when characters aren't going to break out of stun before the knee. Uair dj knee was never easy for me until I was very fast, so if you don't think you know exactly when you can dj and you aren't that fast at kneeing you might just want to uair > uair and edgeguard instead.

lol Where is Swift? What is my tourney record vs him? hahahaa

Well last time I played him was 2 weekends ago, and he has gotten much better (as always). Swift doesn't really like CF so the best advice I can give you is to keep pressure on him and don't give him time to think, he can be really smart if you give him the opportunity.

<3 Swift TRISTATE MELEE BEST REGION IN THE WORLD
if falcon doesn't pressure anyone but wat .... marth ... doesn't he lose scar ...

i can't wait till my freaking weekly saturday ... u better come bro ... i been practicing yet again =]

Alukard

Smash Hero
iiiiiiight thats wat i like to hear sons ...

i haven't seen ultima in a long long time lol

btw i'm going to do that 3v3 thing this time =]

Top Bottom