• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
It's just their avatars, it's all a joke. They're not really banned (except for da K.I.D and Gf2tw).

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
The truth of the matter is regardless of who wins, ike or sonic, the fight is never close. Sonic gimping ike is a gift from god, don't act like it's otherwise. A super armor recovery that can be activated from decently far, from straight under, or from inside the stage on many stages means gimping him isn't your main objective. This means you now have a heavy *** character that is somewhat hard to get an easy kill on, and you're not exactly known for your plethora of killshots. Both players have to play a very very very poke and bait game until someone takes it hard enough for a killshot or a horizontal shot that actually sends far enough for a KO. Whoever baits better wins, it's sadly a matter of mindgames in this. It's a 50:50 with hard wins on both sides, it's rare that you'll get it down to the wire.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The truth of the matter is regardless of who wins, ike or sonic, the fight is never close. Sonic gimping ike is a gift from god, don't act like it's otherwise. A super armor recovery that can be activated from decently far, from straight under, or from inside the stage on many stages means gimping him isn't your main objective. This means you now have a heavy *** character that is somewhat hard to get an easy kill on, and you're not exactly known for your plethora of killshots. Both players have to play a very very very poke and bait game until someone takes it hard enough for a killshot or a horizontal shot that actually sends far enough for a KO. Whoever baits better wins, it's sadly a matter of mindgames in this. It's a 50:50 with hard wins on both sides, it's rare that you'll get it down to the wire.
Ryko how about I head to your house sometime and play you in a few games?
I never got to play you during the tournament and that made me extremely sad.
Hell we could have Malcolm come and order pizza.

Yes I am that bored.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Yeah sure. I'm playing with sintros today I think, mostly dropping some ike knowledge I think. I'm free most of the time though, ill IM you my phone number (unless you saved it).

Tenki

Smash Hero
random notes on Ike's up-B vs spring (for Sonic)

Ike has super armor as his sword is being thrown. If you want your spring to be useful, either drop it in his path before he's in up-B range (so it hits before he up-B's) or have it so the spring accelerates but doesn't hit him until he starts to rise (no armor while rising).

Also, a pretty awesome idea that I got from comboking in the Ikeboards:
edgehog the up-B's upward sword throw, then drop and B-air/F-air/spring after the sword passes you.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
tenki....cmon man...who hasnt done that? and it has to b a fair. bair is ******** slow. ur usually my man for interesting and suprising tactics but this 1 is just run of the mill.

lol im jus jokin...but yeah...i already do that.

Tenki

Smash Hero
^XD

seriously though, that option (invincy the throw > attack) totally beats the edgehog > ledgehop > F-smash idea, since it doesn't give space for the opponent to mix it up and actually go for the edge instead of pulling towards the stage.

who knows, maybe edgehog > side-B hop > footstool? lol

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yeah sure. I'm playing with sintros today I think, mostly dropping some ike knowledge I think. I'm free most of the time though, ill IM you my phone number (unless you saved it).
I'll call you tonight at 8 <3

my place or yours.

@Malcolm:
side-B > footstool off-stage is so weird and raepful to certain characters' recoveries.

It's cool stuff. I intercepted a Marth before he could up-B with that, and it felt pretty fulfilling.

maybe you can try it? XD

I haven't developed my aim or use of it too well yet ;_;

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Lol. It's almost as if we're going to wait for Ike to get in range to Aether for recovery before we try springing him, as if Sonic's too slow to intercept off stage with the fastest air speed through Spinshot. I'll just carry on ****** Ike's with it. A gift from god indeed :3

I'll put it as 50:50 on the chart though.

This is the last post on this page I think. Next post is next character discussion.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Lol. It's almost as if we're going to wait for Ike to get in range to Aether for recovery before we try springing him, as if Sonic's too slow to intercept off stage with the fastest air speed through Spinshot. I'll just carry on ****** Ike's with it. A gift from god indeed :3
You have to wait, the hell are you gonna do, drop it as he's approaching the stage and watch as he air dodges past the stupid thing? Please for the love of god go out prematurely, make it that much easier for me to get back.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Ryko is going to manage D3 for the Sonic boards? O.o

But seriously, are we going to keep skipping him, or continue moving on ahead? I would liek to go over to matchup because I feel that Sonic loses out.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Er, let's go back? But we need to start on a new page.

In the mean time, an export thread? Finish talking about Ike? Etc, etc.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Let's review.

Ike punishes like a mutha-tucking fruck, has the biggest non-projectile range in the game (not including the one moves certain chars like Zero Suit would have), is gimped almost as easily as Ivysaur for a character like Sonic, can live for a pretty long while if not otherwise gimp-killed, and you should avoid Pirate Ship/Delfino Plaza/BF and try to go to places like Final D/Frigate Orpheon... and if those stages are striked/banned, just go wheverever other than the three Sonic CPs mentioned, and both you and Ike have the same benefit/loss.

Sonic on the other hand, has a plethora of fakes and switch-ups to keep the Ike player guessing, the offstage combat, Speed (durr), combos (moreso on Ike being unable to deal with pressure), overall stage advantage, and if you were SonIke, you would have that Bandana to make you like over 9,000 times cooler.

*killing space*

:091:

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
And this? The baiting part is true.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol gimping a gift from god, I suppose good ikes rarely get gimped.

I can play that game too. Good sonics rarely get hit by any of ikes KO attacks, live to 150% average.

I think were both assuming the same thing...

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
lol gimping a gift from god, I suppose good ikes rarely get gimped.

I can play that game too. Good sonics rarely get hit by any of ikes KO attacks, live to 150% average.

I think were both assuming the same thing...
Well, I'm not trying to make a generalization, but I've seen a number of Sonic vs. Ike matches where Sonic lives till 150% despite Ike's power and Ike doesn't get gimped...

Browny

Smash Hater
yay for subtlety being lost on the internet

my point was, both claims are not a case of 'good' players, more so the assumption that the enemy is a bad player.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh this reminds me. If we go on, we go to Jigglypuff. If we go to D3, we might be able to get rid of a matchup some of us might not know that we get beat out on.

I say we got with the latter.

No offense, but I kind of think Jiggly is a Sonic without the speed, overall priority (lolwut?), weight, and is the aerial combatant.

D3 is everything you hate, and moar.

:091:

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
You can avoid being first jabbed? Because that's literally all it takes for you to die at any point over 110, your assuming the ike is gonna be an easy gimp is the assumption that the ike is bad, an ike avoiding the gimp is just the ike knowing that he's good.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
avoiding jabs as much as you can id your first goal against a good Ike, second is to understand how well the ike can auto cancel his aerials, which are usually just to bait into a jab setup... im not saying i know that matchup fully, but if i play an Ike, the first thing im going to try to take away from his game is his jabs. I think attacking him from below is a good idea, his dair is risky agaisnt your speed and he'll most likely airdodge as a first option. so toss him upwards and get under him.

ill be watching waht the more experienced people say about Ike...

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Whoever is going to cot4 play my ike there. im guarenteeing ill win. im also guarenteeing ill f-smash u...no wi-fi johns since its offline either.

U've been challenged...now who accepts?

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
quoting out of context... nice

*/me remembers why he hates matchup discussions so much*
I understood the context, my point was my claim had nothing to do with your skill. You're running off the stage and up B'ing, I'm jumping somewhere towards the stage and up B'ing. If my timing is off, I die, it has almost nothing to do with your timing on whether or not super armor eats it. In the same way that if I super armor a shine spike, it doesn't necessarily mean the fox did anything wrong.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Dedede, I have no idea why we skipped characters in the first place.

It's just going to make the link list to the characters' individual discussion now look silly.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
55:45 DDD....allllllllllllllllmost even.
I was thinking the same.
You know what?
Lets just give sonic 50:50.
Why?

One reason and one reason only.
Side taunt.

<_<

Nothing beats repeatedly spincharge footstooling a DDD.
I did it 4 times.
Then side taunted repeatedly.
It was epic.

Seriously.

One of the better matchups for Sonic.
DDD really has an issue with Sonic because of SOnic's incredible punishing speed.
Compounded with his large self its very easy to rack up damage on the penguin.

Of course you can always play really, really gay and smack DDD once and then play keep away afterwards.

DDD does have his tools which make things even, primarily his range, his very quick Bair, and of course, his CG.
It can be tough considering DDD can last for such a long time due to his heavy nature so SOnic really has to punish much more often than he would on other characters to get into killing range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejSZLU3XhbI

Top Bottom