• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

HiIH

Smash Lord
Stos don't worry about it, you can always fulljump Nairs, and it won't matter if you get crouch cancelled! <.<; Just don't land.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Stos don't worry about it, you can always fulljump Nairs, and it won't matter if you get crouch cancelled! <.<; Just don't land.
:laugh:
basically
though if im a doc player i would be confused as **** on how to take on a Link that just keeps FJ naring to like Dj escape, attack, projectile or no DJ at all.
that being said im starting to pick up doc too.
i find him really fun, like his wavelands and wavedashes is just soo smooth =D
once i get docs matches recorded im going to post them up.
and be prepare this weekend im going to **** desh with my doc LOL.

but yeah like around 06 i did second him lol but now im just all Link =D

edit: also guys can any of you make this tourney?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214592

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
yeah, ccing shouldnt really change that much. Most docs dont do it, and even then, it requires doc to be on the ground.

... *shrug* i dunno, i dont think it'd be that bad.

--
edit

You send me a plane ticket, and whatever else i need to get up to canada, and i'll see what I can do.

@ih: WTF ARE YOU DOING? YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR MISSION IS. THE INTERNET NEEDS MORE FAILURES, UPLOAD THEM!! o_o XD jk, thanks for actually putting those up, though. It's hilarious.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
*deletes convo before they see thier names*

but yeah expect me to come out with some doc vids soon.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
yeah, desh hit me up on aim asking me about that.

I've never played a rapetier link or anything, so i honestly wouldnt know, but I could see link having a slight advantage over doc, i guess? I dunno?

Maybe?

Possibly?

Quesitonably?

....*shrug*

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
ok okay then **** desh then, jks.
loool i should bring a tent to a tourney and like when i have to play imma bring my tent near the tv and play inside.
seriously though doc can just like cape everything bacl :S

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
WTF is a rapetier Link? lolol I think Doc has the slight advantage....still.
NOBODY'S TALKING TO YOU, YOU WASHED-UP-FORMER-GREATEST-DOC-IN-THE-NATION, YOU!

Why dont you and your team partner get ready for TO4 this wee~~~ OH THAT'S RIGHT, YOU DONT HAVE A ****ING TEAM PARTNER, NOW DO YOU?

YOU WAS TALKIN THAT GOOD **** A WEEK AGO, THEN YOU WENT AND GOT KICKED IN YO CHEST! YOU EAT A ****, *****! YOU EAT A ****!!

[/jokes]

Like i said, i REALLY dont know anything about playing good links. Im just playing theory fighter in my head. Theory fighter lies very hard.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
NOBODY'S TALKING TO YOU, YOU WASHED-UP-FORMER-GREATEST-DOC-IN-THE-NATION, YOU!

Why dont you and your team partner get ready for TO4 this wee~~~ OH THAT'S RIGHT, YOU DONT HAVE A ****ING TEAM PARTNER, NOW DO YOU?

YOU WAS TALKIN THAT GOOD **** A WEEK AGO, THEN YOU WENT AND GOT KICKED IN YO CHEST! YOU EAT A ****, *****! YOU EAT A ****!!

[/jokes]

Like i said, i REALLY dont know anything about playing good links. Im just playing theory fighter in my head. Theory fighter lies very hard.
dogy i want your babies.

speaking of TO4, Nes, can you record with Dogys doc. i just want to see how link players handle doc and docs handle link. im starting to think i should second doc again.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
im lookin to go on a mission of playing some people of every character while im there at TO4, just to see what happens.

And if worse comes to worse, i'll just ask iori to play the half of the cast I cant find people for.

Hey, and i just realized nes noob can be my pichu! XD

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
One of my crewmates is a pretty solid link; I find edgeguarding Link to be a bit of a pain in the balls. How exactly do you gimp through the Up-B? I can certainly drop in and intercept with Bairs beforehand if I get the opportunity, or ruin his attempts at grappling, but somehow I always manage to screw up dealing with the good ol' "SKRRAAAAH"...

HiIH

Smash Lord
You can drop off the ledge and Bair, or Cape the Up+B. Don't worry about him turning around and grabbing the ledge. You should be Dsmashing him since the Cape sends him up.

<.<; I learned that against Samus, and had it used against me recently.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
One of my crewmates is a pretty solid link; I find edgeguarding Link to be a bit of a pain in the balls. How exactly do you gimp through the Up-B? I can certainly drop in and intercept with Bairs beforehand if I get the opportunity, or ruin his attempts at grappling, but somehow I always manage to screw up dealing with the good ol' "SKRRAAAAH"...
reset invinsiblity frame, and then when you see him setting up for chain just drop off to dj bair.

for the scrah just cape it, even though its sweet spotted. Link will turn the other way and hes going to DI back to land, and when you see him DI'ing back you can get a Dsmash, Fsmash, Fair or Grab.

last year or couple years ago i made a thread in a link boards asking them how to deal with this kind of edge guard but only few posted, i was really sad afterward cause i didnt get any useful tips.

moreover, use pills. when you see them setting up for scrah throw some pills. pills are suppose to **** up links scrah sweetspot attemp. after the pill you can wavedash to the edge and just like drop off to bair or roll. though smart link players would just chain after getting hit with a pill and then like scrah up hugging the wall going for the sweet spot. but then, smart doc will just roll. if they dont sweet spot and they try landing near the edge, edge hop nair or bair will do the work.

drop off bair gimps. when Link goes for grapple sweetspot most link mains would air dodge to grapple, when he air dodges you can drop off dj bair and then recover and you can watch him fall. against Link scrah, just reset you invinsibility frames, if hes directly under you, you can just drop to bair. but yeah, it not that hard to edge guard link. just force him to land near the edge by resetting your invinsibility frames. just like grab him throw him off and like turn around wavedash to grab edge and like keep resetting it. the Link player would be like wtf am i suppose to do.

but yeah just keep playing him and try out some new stuff.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
also, if they've chained and are coming back up, you can drop down with a nair, b-air, and jump-> up back to the ledge.

I see lots of ledgehopped b-airs, but people always forget that if you can ledgehop something, you can drop, use it, and recover safely. Gotta be more like shiek people ^_^

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
reset invinsiblity frame, and then when you see him setting up for chain just drop off to dj bair.

for the scrah just cape it, even though its sweet spotted. Link will turn the other way and hes going to DI back to land, and when you see him DI'ing back you can get a Dsmash, Fsmash, Fair or Grab.

last year or couple years ago i made a thread in a link boards asking them how to deal with this kind of edge guard but only few posted, i was really sad afterward cause i didnt get any useful tips.

moreover, use pills. when you see them setting up for scrah throw some pills. pills are suppose to **** up links scrah sweetspot attemp. after the pill you can wavedash to the edge and just like drop off to bair or roll. though smart link players would just chain after getting hit with a pill and then like scrah up hugging the wall going for the sweet spot. but then, smart doc will just roll. if they dont sweet spot and they try landing near the edge, edge hop nair or bair will do the work.

drop off bair gimps. when Link goes for grapple sweetspot most link mains would air dodge to grapple, when he air dodges you can drop off dj bair and then recover and you can watch him fall. against Link scrah, just reset you invinsibility frames, if hes directly under you, you can just drop to bair. but yeah, it not that hard to edge guard link. just force him to land near the edge by resetting your invinsibility frames. just like grab him throw him off and like turn around wavedash to grab edge and like keep resetting it. the Link player would be like wtf am i suppose to do.

but yeah just keep playing him and try out some new stuff.
Gah. Wow. That was remarkably helpful advice. (No offense S.R.) I think the frames were my basic issue; I was using the right approach but always getting caught up in the scrah (I love that it's called that). From the sounds of it a **** good doc is a horrible thing for link to deal with on the edge. Thiiiiis I must achieve. Anyway this is perfect, and I will indeed keep playing this kid--after all, I'm trying to pwn his Link bad enough that he stops playing him--he's my teams partner and teaming with a Link (his Link, anyway) has yet to be all that productive. He said he'd only switch if I could get some consistent four-stocks, and I'm already up to two/three... perhaps this will do it. : P Many thanks.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
*nods* good info, good info. Thank you sir.

__

On a completely different and offtopic note, quiznos' new lower prices are ****ing legit.

__

And I think I might have found an easy way to hit "The Stupid Spot" from throw -> f.air in the shortest time possible.

... it's actually so easy, im probably going to get laughed at for not thinking about this already. I gotta mess around with it some more.

(with all this "knowledge" i tend to spew up here, you might be kinda surprised what kinda things i dont know. >.>)

And FYI, the "stupid spot" is what i call the "hardest" spot to f.air somebody from a throw, slightly behind doc.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
*nods* good info, good info. Thank you sir.

__

On a completely different and offtopic note, quiznos' new lower prices are ****ing legit.

__

And I think I might have found an easy way to hit "The Stupid Spot" from throw -> f.air in the shortest time possible.

... it's actually so easy, im probably going to get laughed at for not thinking about this already. I gotta mess around with it some more.

(with all this "knowledge" i tend to spew up here, you might be kinda surprised what kinda things i dont know. >.>)

And FYI, the "stupid spot" is what i call the "hardest" spot to f.air somebody from a throw, slightly behind doc.

Ooooohhhhh.. the "stupid" spot.. Yeah, I've had some issues with that. I usually give up and try for a Bair at that point, but then unless I can follow up I've really lost a KO/combo..

otg

Smash Master
So yeah, lately I've been throwing out the cape every so often when I know what the opponent will attack me with. It's super risky but is can be incredibly helpful here and there, on top of adding an additional 12%. I ain't talking about throwing that **** OTG because thats just dumb as hell, instead I'm talking some SH cape, because you can WL out of it, increasing your mobility and most likely confusing the **** out of your opponent.

IE: You think Marth is going to Fsmash you as you are falling from a platform, so Cape his *** and WL in with a Dsmash. Pain.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
So yeah, lately I've been throwing out the cape every so often when I know what the opponent will attack me with. It's super risky but is can be incredibly helpful here and there, on top of adding an additional 12%. I ain't talking about throwing that **** OTG because thats just dumb as hell, instead I'm talking some SH cape, because you can WL out of it, increasing your mobility and most likely confusing the **** out of your opponent.

IE: You think Marth is going to Fsmash you as you are falling from a platform, so Cape his *** and WL in with a Dsmash. Pain.
THANK YOU.

I have been working on SH cape---> waveland ---> (what-have-you) forEVER and always been wondering why people never put it to use. It's become a pretty solid indicator of my style and I really like the mindgames it can carry. I've also noticed its easier to do longer, nastier wavelands out of it than other things; this could just be me, though..

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
maybe you cant perfect waveland from anything else?

As for cape dashing, as i call it, bob$ did it. >.>

Now, here's something that i've never seen anybody do; do you know that if you SH Cape, you can actually fit in a nair right before you hit the ground?

An idea i've had for a while that i keep forgetting to try (mainly because I forget if this would work in melee or in brawl if mario had doc's physics) is SH cape somebody's sheild, n.air -> grab.

I cant remember if caping a shield flips somebody around in melee or in brawl, and right now im too lazy to hook my cube up and turn on melee... or too lazy to take ToS2 out of my wii and put melee in.... yes, i have variations of my lazy.

otg

Smash Master
oh speaking of tornado:

Bob$ -> Rising Tornado = win. Next time you catch someone in a Bob$, with the rising tornado, or hell, even try using it to recover back and see if you can hit them with it. lulz.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
maybe you cant perfect waveland from anything else?

As for cape dashing, as i call it, bob$ did it. >.>

Now, here's something that i've never seen anybody do; do you know that if you SH Cape, you can actually fit in a nair right before you hit the ground?

An idea i've had for a while that i keep forgetting to try (mainly because I forget if this would work in melee or in brawl if mario had doc's physics) is SH cape somebody's sheild, n.air -> grab.

I discovered this playing computers like a week ago when i was thinking of ways of pressuring shields, and i was gonna try it when I had someone to play. I've never seen anyone do it either, and I thought i was the first to think of it, but you beat me to it.

It kind of reminds me of marths double fair, like there is a good amount of time between the cape and the nair, and i think some chars would be able to attack before the nair comes out. I was thinking that it would work, just because the cape would turn people around in their shields and that may confuse them.

Top Bottom