• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Even though I've never played Crono Trigger, that moveset was quite nice, SirKibble, and well deserving of a vote.
Thank you, Khold.

A minute long taunt?

That's a victory pose, not a taunt. ;)

I am utterly unfamiliar with the character/series/game, but I'm still finding this a fantastic moveset. Water-based movesets are so hard to come by - Squirtle pretty much did it all, all wrong, and this does it right. I'm also getting a feel that this whole thing is insanely true to its character.
Thank you very much. I took as many attacks as I could from the game, and tried to make the rest feel like they could've been from the game. Water was fun to work with, since it's a little more obscure than something like fire or electricity. :)

And the character himself is just plain awesome. He's a frog. A FROG! Awesome.
I KNOW, RIGHT?! :bee:

@MT: Thanks!

Yeah, seeing that is what brought it to my attention. Robo just made rickroll cool for me! :laugh:

@TM: I'm sorry. :( When this wears off, just post another little note about it or something. :ohwell:

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
about time Kibble had a comment from someone who actually played Chrono Trigger, eh?

That whole UpSmash combo idea really sold the moveset to me. Perfect combination of "OMG from the game!" and a very useful idea. And everything else is great, too. You forgot to mention that Frog's Down Special frog glows weird ripply colors, though. That's my only complaint.

Unless I imagined that, but it's not true. Anyways, it SHOULD glow ripply weird colors. Lots of things should.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
WHOA.

That is an amazingly awesome Frog moveset Kibble. Never played the game (yet), but looks like it's an awesome moveset anyway.

Really great job. :bee:

SirKibble

Smash Champion
about time Kibble had a comment from someone who actually played Chrono Trigger, eh?
Oh, thank goodness. Peli, you're my hero now. :bee:

That whole UpSmash combo idea really sold the moveset to me. Perfect combination of "OMG from the game!" and a very useful idea. And everything else is great, too. You forgot to mention that Frog's Down Special frog glows weird ripply colors, though. That's my only complaint.

Unless I imagined that, but it's not true. Anyways, it SHOULD glow ripply weird colors. Lots of things should.
Glad you liked it! The U-Smash felt too perfect as his Critical Hit for anything else to be there. I'll put something in about the weird ripply colors, which I'm having a hard time believe I left out in the first place! :psycho:

WHOA.

That is an amazingly awesome Frog moveset Kibble. Never played the game (yet), but looks like it's an awesome moveset anyway.

Really great job. :bee:
Thank you, Twil.

You guys need to play Chrono Trigger. NAO!

I'm dead cereal.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Here's a preview of my upcoming moveset.

AUX
[CALL]
PUSH SELECT

Snake: Otacon, what's this pizza face monster fighting me for?
Otacon: Snake, that's a Twilight Messenger, a dark minion of Zant.
Snake: Don't you mean Shadow Beast?
Otacon: No, it's 'Twilight Messenger'. I read it in the Official Prima Strategy Guide for Twilight Princess.
Snake: No, the name at the bottom of the screen obviously says, 'Shadow Beast'. The Super Smash Bros. Brawl trophy and the official Twilight Princess website both call it Shadow Beast.
Otacon: (in a high pitched mimiking voice) No, the name at the bottom of the screen obviously says, 'Shadow Beast'. The Super Smash Bros. Brawl trophy and the official Twilight Princess website both call it Shadow Beast.
Snake: The guy who writes Prima's guides needs to lurk moar. Speaking of that, where are you always working in your spare time?
Otacon: Oh... umm... you see, I...

*end transmission*

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
MaxfireXSA.

I get the joke. Just making characters OoC pisses me off. You're talking to the ex-SSB fanfiction writer here.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I figured I'ld release a current progress report on The Sandbags moveset.

My Hopeful Deadline: 1/24/09

Completed:
Stories (everyone)
Stats (everyone)
Specials (everyone)- 16 Moves Total
Normal Attacks (everyone)- 18 Moves Total
Tilts (everyone)- 18 Moves Total

Goals:
Smashes (everyone)- 18 Moves Total
Aerials (everyone)- 30 Moves Total
Grabs/Throws- 36 Moves Total
Final Smashes- Atleast 1 per person (for a minimum of 5 total)
Taunts- A maximum of 18 Total
Poses- 20 Total
Extras

Assist Trophies To Be Made:
TWILTHERO
Gryphon/Cruxis
Janahu
Hyper Ridley
Spadefox
Lenus Altair
Smash Daddy
Pelikensis
Marth Trinity
Tanookie
Meadow
Iron Thorn
You get the idea.... every regular non-Sandbag gets an Assist Trophy... if I forget to include you in the final set... just tell me and I'll make one for you.

And just so you guys have something to look at, heres some previews:

SirKibble's Up Tilt:
Up- Headbang
Kibble brings his head down and back up, slicing twice with the metal blade in his helmet. This move has very low lag on both ends. The reach of this move is low. The priority is medium to above average, not cancelling many moves out but not being cancelled out by to many. The hitstun is not good, but its enough to link repeated uses of this move together. This move deals 3% damage and low to very low knockback. This move gets its name because (due to its low lag on either end) it can be easily spammed like a pseudo infinite A combo on foes with damage percentages under 80% (lightweights) and under 100% (heavyweights). DI can break you out of this combo.

Mendez's Forward Tilt:
Forward- Cloak Swipe
Mendez takes off his jacket and swings it forward. This move has considerable beginning lag and a punishable duration, but it protects in front of him very well due to its long reach and great priority. The ending lag is low in comparison, as he practically throws the jacket back on. Additionally it works just like Mario's Cape with the proper timing, turning foes and projectiles around when they are hit. Another property of this move is that foes hit by it at any point will become wrapped in the shirt, stunning them for roughly a second and allowing you to punish them. This move deals 5% damage and no knockback.

Chris Lionheart's Down Tilts:
Down (Human Form)- Break Dance
Chris swings both legs to his sides while balancing on his hands, hitting on both sides of himself. This move sports great reach and has low lag on both ends. Has average priority and ok hitstun. Deals 3% and low knockback. This move gets its name from the fact that it can be spammed like a pseudo infinite A combo on foes with percentages below 80% (lightweights) and below 100% (heavyweights).

Down (Lion Form)- Tail Chaser
Much like a dog, Chris chases his tail and hits on both sides of him constantly. This move has mediocre reach, with the hitbox being Chris's body but sports very low lag on both ends. Has average priority and ok hitstun. Deals 3% per hit and low to very low knockback. This can be spammed creating a bullet seed like chain of damage on foes up to 60% (lightweights), though DI can be used to break out easily. Not a bad move for racking damage by any means, and isn't it cute seeing a fierce lion act like a puppy?

MasterWarlord's Neutral A:
Neutral A- Cyclone Axe
Warlord spins around 360 degrees with his axe. As long as you hold Neutral A he continues spinning in place. Not only that, but it progressively gets better as the move goes along. Great reach on both sides of Warlord. Average priority. Average lag at the beginning. The ending lag is average under normal circumstances and quite punishable if you let it go for 10 seconds or more. Initially this move is very simple and deals 5% and low knockback per hit, but it gets progressively better. At 10 seconds duration and above, this move becomes a disjointed attack rivalling the whorenado (but without the broken priority that cancels everything) that deals 5% per second and catches the foe. DI can get you out of it without to much effort, but its not as easy as most moves of the type. The best thing to do is to get Warlord out of it before it becomes a problem.

King K. Rool's F-Tilt:
Forward- The Hand is Faster than the Eye
King K. Rool starts waving his hand around in the direction he is facing. If any foe is in this moves hitbox when this happens, they become mesmerised and attempt to follow his hand. After 1 second, K. Rool slaps with force. This move has average reach and a very punishable duration. The beginning of the move will out-prioritize pretty much anything, but the slap has good priority. Low lag on both ends, not counting the duration. This deals 10% and great horizontal knockback. The redeeming feature of this move is that the beginning interrupts just about any opposing action (with the exception of Sidesteps, Air Dodges, Rolls, and Final Smashes) and acts like a grab, ignoring shields and counters, making it a great punishing move.... just be careful not to get punished yourself.

donkeykongwii

Smash Rookie
The newest charcter in Brawl

Peanutbutter face

B: Spreads peanuts butter on you and enemy gets inverted controls for a while
B>: Shoots a glock full of peanut butter
B^: Mr. Peanut comes down and lifts peanutbutter face into the air
Bv: Pulls out a knife full of peanut butter and stabs enemy in chest and they get a chest infection which can only be healed by dr mario, TOO BAD HES ONLY IN MELEE!!

FS: Chunky Peanut Butter: Pulls out a container of chunky peanut butter and it launches all over the stage. Everyone is stuck on the ground while the chunks smash them in the face. Then using the wiimote, control PBF's tongue as he licks up the peanut butter and everyone flies away.

Taunt: Pulls out a container of peanut butter and eats it (Goes for 1 minute)
Taunt2: Pulls out A PB sandwich and eats it and if anybody touchs him they get herpies

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
The Trophy Master: I will read the chapter of your SSE/BBQ because you mentioned my name!

SirKibble: Great moveset! It was very practical, which I liked very much. I know nothing about Chrono Trigger (and I've been curious about getting it someday), but it was still fascinating for some reason. Maybe it was the fact that it's a frog knight, and I love frogs. Maybe it was the fact that I listened to Frog's Theme, which is a great song (and also got me more curious about the game). Maybe it was just the fact that it was your moveset (nahhh). Whatever it was, the moveset was great to read and made Frog really seem like a good Smash Bros. character.

airsmasher

Smash Apprentice
@SirKibble: Great moveset! Like most of the people who have commented, I have no knowledge of Chrono Trigger whatsoever(except that the art's by Toriyama, the greatest anime/manga guy ever!)
After seeing some of the cutscenes, it seems like Frog's a really cool character, and you definitely do that justice. :)

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
I'm just glad that a Frog moveset was made wherein he wasn't a generic sword character. The fact that he knows water magic and is an anthropomorphic frog helps, of course, but still.

That's my main concern with "guy with weapon" movesets, and I've avoided them so far. But i'm pretty much set on Cecil for MYM5.

And what's with no one playing Chrono Trigger? I guess other countries DO have different Rites to Manhood afterall.

Tanookie

Smash Journeyman
*sends Sundance a leather harness on Dragon Apprec
@ Kibble: Amazing. Simple and succint, but I loved it. Especially the sprites. :p

Also, just as an informal announcement to anyone who cares...I might not get around to finishing Estelle in time for this contest; mostly because my time's been eaten up lately and because I'm simply uninspired to write anything down--I mean, I have move ideas, I just don't feel like writing them down. So, if I don't post any movesets in a while, don't be alarmed. I'll be back and kicking in time for MYM5!

P.S. <3333 you tons K.Rool for the Peter Pan review!

SirKibble

Smash Champion
SirKibble: Great moveset! It was very practical, which I liked very much. I know nothing about Chrono Trigger (and I've been curious about getting it someday), but it was still fascinating for some reason. Maybe it was the fact that it's a frog knight, and I love frogs. Maybe it was the fact that I listened to Frog's Theme, which is a great song (and also got me more curious about the game). Maybe it was just the fact that it was your moveset (nahhh). Whatever it was, the moveset was great to read and made Frog really seem like a good Smash Bros. character.
Thanks! Hmm... I'd say it was probably the fact that he's a frog knight. You just don't beat that! :grin:

Anyway, glad you liked it!

Now, go play Chrono Trigger. Seriously.

The SNES version is totally better than the DS port, too, because Frog speaks medeival-like, making him all the more awesome!

@SirKibble: Great moveset! Like most of the people who have commented, I have no knowledge of Chrono Trigger whatsoever(except that the art's by Toriyama, the greatest anime/manga guy ever!)
After seeing some of the cutscenes, it seems like Frog's a really cool character, and you definitely do that justice. :)
Thank you very much! Lol, gotta love that artwork! :laugh:

You guys really need to play Chrono Trigger. Like, best SNES RPG SNES game RPG game ever, in my humble opinion.

I'm just glad that a Frog moveset was made wherein he wasn't a generic sword character. The fact that he knows water magic and is an anthropomorphic frog helps, of course, but still.

That's my main concern with "guy with weapon" movesets, and I've avoided them so far. But i'm pretty much set on Cecil for MYM5.
Yeah, I was a little hesitant about that. But if you're trying to avoid it, you will. I even felt bad about putting in something as generic as the B-Air in that moveset! :laugh:

And what's with no one playing Chrono Trigger? I guess other countries DO have different Rites to Manhood afterall.
I KNOW!

@ Kibble: Amazing. Simple and succint, but I loved it. Especially the sprites. :p
Yay! Someone commented on my [humility]totally awesome[/humility] sprites! That was a favorite little piece of mine, coming up with a different sprite for each section! :bee:

Anyway, thanks for the compliment as well. It's rather reassuring, given how much the short nature of some of the moves was scaring me at times. :laugh:

On a more evil note... My plan is working! By the time this MYM is over, I will have stopped including Extras altogether, and people will still like my movesets!! MWAHAHAHAHA!!

half_silver28

Smash Ace
I figured I'ld release a current progress report on The Sandbags moveset.

My Hopeful Deadline: 1/24/09

Assist Trophies To Be Made:
TWILTHERO
Gryphon/Cruxis
Janahu
Hyper Ridley
Spadefox
Lenus Altair
Smash Daddy
Pelikensis
Marth Trinity
Tanookie
Meadow
Iron Thorn
You get the idea.... every regular non-Sandbag gets an Assist Trophy... if I forget to include you in the final set... just tell me and I'll make one for you.
I want to be an AT!!! :lick: ~ lol

... progress is being made on Midna; I've figured out what I'm doing for most of her moves. & since I won't have to do as many extras as I usually do for her, she'll probably be done sooner than usual.

also, I think I'm going to have Midna herself comment on her own moves. Basically I'll give my move descriptions as usual, & Midna will comment on how it should be used, among other things. Ya or Nay? :bee:

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
i lol'd when i pictured warlord with axe.
Why? Just asking, because I wonder. Warlord makes perfect sense using an axe, seeing as he prefers slower heavyweight characters with lots of power.

@Kibble:
Frog is froiggin awesome. Lucca is on her way, so dontcha worry.

airsmasher

Smash Apprentice
I want to be an AT!!! :lick: ~ lol

... progress is being made on Midna; I've figured out what I'm doing for most of her moves. & since I won't have to do as many extras as I usually do for her, she'll probably be done sooner than usual.

also, I think I'm going to have Midna herself comment on her own moves. Basically I'll give my move descriptions as usual, & Midna will comment on how it should be used, among other things. Ya or Nay? :bee:
Sounds like a funny idea. Will Wolf Link be a part of the moveset, or will Midna go solo for this one?

The Trophy Master

Smash Journeyman
*Sends Sundance an orange elephant on Chirstmas, a
Sorry for repost, but Kibble's awesome Frog moveset was too good for my update. :)

I would like to show it again, cause it was mostly ignored, so here is it again!

Chapter 1 = All Around The Worlds

People who could be interested :

The Trophy Master
flyinfilipino
Baloo ( Count Bleck's control )
Nintendo
Cruxis
Smash Daddy
majora_787
Everybody!

Please leave comments on the thread!

john!

Smash Hero
Paper Mario

From a world made entirely of paper, a familiar hero emerges to fight!

ENTERS THE FRAY!

CONTENTS

Introduction
Basic Moves
Ground Moves
Aerial Moves
Special Moves
Other Information

INTRODUCTION

Summary
Not only is this my first MYM, it’s my first post. :laugh: I’m a big fan of the Paper Mario series, so I decided to start with a basic character like him (instead of someone totally random). I was surprised that he didn’t make it into Brawl. Although he suffers from light weight, short jumps, and low speed, his powerful, quirky moveset and incredible priority more than make up for it. In fact, he has many similarities to my Brawl main, Mr. Game & Watch. Paper Mario has one of his party members out at all times (the partner can be chosen on the character select screen). The Pixls Thoreau and Cudge appear momentarily when you need them, then go back inside Paper Mario. Every move has a picture accompanying it. Although that does not show the entire animation, remember that he is very similar to Mr. Game & Watch (almost worthy of clone status), so the animations are largely similar throughout, and there is not much description needed, other than the picture. I may have neglected to mention details that seem obvious to a veteran of the series, so feel free to bring those up.

Music
Here’s some of the music for Paper Mario’s stage, as well as other themes.
Koopa Bros. Theme (default) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38ScI-nWtAA
Huff ‘N’ Puff Theme - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0O07iyCc4s
Crystal King Theme - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHBb0z9584w
Doopliss Theme - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KFFPdF-KY8
Cortez Theme - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ImixRh72o
Shadow Queen Theme - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPVb0_gYbRg
Paper Mario’s Theme Song (begins at 0:18) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cxCQKRwwGw
Dimentio’s Theme (the first 5 notes play when Dimentio appears) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5sTQIdgsQA

Statistics
Height- 2/5
Weight- 1/5
Walk Speed- 2/5
Run Speed- 2/5
Fall Speed- 5/5
Fall Speed (Tumbling)- 1/5
Attack Speed- 3/5
Attack Power- 5/5
Attack Knockback- 3/5
Directional Influence- 1/5
Directional Influence (Tumbling)- 5/5
Average Reach- 3/5 (varies based on attack)
Priority- 5/5 (many disjointed hitboxes)
First Jump- 2/5
Second Jump- 2/5
Recovery- 3/5 (good horizontally, but bad vertically)
Final Smash- 4/5 (epicness)
Traction- 5/5 (no skid)
Dodges- 5/5 (the man's paper thin)
Wall Jump- No
Wall Cling- No
Crawl- No
Tether- No
Glide- Conditional

BASIC MOVES

First Jump
Mario jumps into the air at a fairly low height.

Second Jump
Mario spins around in the air. Again, not much height is gained.

Crouch
Mario pulls his hat over his head in a pathetic attempt to protect himself.

Shield
Mario pulls his hat over his head in a pathetic attempt to protect himself… except this time, it works.

Air/Ground Dodge
Mario spins around a few times.

Roll
Paper Mario spins around a few times, like a Spin Dash. His roll is quite long!

Trip
Paper Mario has a very distinctive trip. A funny sound is made in the background, and Paper Mario falls over. Faceplant!

Throw
Who else but… Thoreau the Pixl! Your kooky buddy Thoreau pops out and grabs your enemy from a distance, like one of Olimar’s Pikmin.

Once Mario has the enemy in his papery clutches, he holds them above his head like a trophy. His Grab Attack is a tiny bounce, which jars the enemy and gives them damage (the picture is somewhat misleading; the bounce is only about a third of Paper Mario’s height). Left and Right Throws simply toss the enemy in an arc in that direction. Up Throw tosses the enemy sky-high, and Down Throw lays the enemy on the ground, where they inexplicably take damage (like Snake’s Down Throw). Free techchasing! We’ll get to that later.

Final Smash: Art Attack
It’s the creative, destructive power of the Ruby Star! When Paper Mario gets a Smash Ball, his eyes glow a fierce yellow! Press B to unleash his Final Smash!

Paper Mario cannot move, and is invincible during this time. An Action Command appears: “Draw around the enemy as many times as you can!”. The Ruby Star appears as a cursor which moves a bit faster than Sonic's dash. Using the Control Stick, you can move the star around the screen and trap foes with multicolored lines. The lines are an impenetrable barrier- if your foe doesn’t escape in time, and you complete a circle around them, they take 10% damage and are stunned for a fraction of a second. Ouch! The Final Smash lasts for about 20 seconds, and a skilled player can deal upwards of 80% damage to a single opponent!

GROUND MOVES

A: Paper Cut – Damage: 2%, 4% - Knockback: Forward, Up
Mario jabs his fist forward and gives his enemies a paper cut. The move has a short range, but if it hits, it’s gonna sting for days.

Pressing A again immediately lets Mario deliver a swift uppercut to the enemy, sending them slightly upwards at middle percentages for some FREE COMBOING!

F-Tilt: Fire Flower – Damage: 2% x 6 - Knockback: Forward
Mario sets a Fire Flower on the ground, and it spews small Spicy Curry-esque fireballs about 1 body length away for roughly a second. If they fail to DI out of it, Mario can walk forward and smash them while the Fire Flower is activated!

U-Tilt: Stone Cap – Damage: 10% - Knockback: Up
Mario’s cap turns briefly into stone, and he does a small hop upward. This attack has huge priority on the top, but Mario remains vulnerable on the sides.

D-Tilt: Shell Shock – Damage: 8% - Knockback: Diagonal - Trips
Mario produces a Koopa shell and kicks it away from him. It whizzes forward and returns like a boomerang. It cannot touch enemies in the air, but if they are on the ground, they will trip.

F-Smash: Hammer Smash – Damage: 16-20%, 30% - Knockback: Diagonal
It’s hammer time! Cudge the Pixl appears momentarily, and Mario can use his hammer. If you charge the smash, you’ll hear four beeps in the background, each a third of a second apart. The first three are a countdown, but when you hear the fourth, higher pitched one, release the A button to inflict massive damage and knockback! The word “NICE!” appears over your enemy’s head if this is performed correctly. The smash can charge a bit more, but if you release it before or after the fourth beep time, it will only inflict normal damage. Unlike the picture, there is no meter or action command… just beeps.

U-Smash: Hammer Throw – Damage: 14-18%, 25% - Knockback: Up
Mario throws his hammer up in the air, and catches it gracefully about a half second later. The hammer gets thrown farther the more you charge it. The beeps are heard again, but this time, if you let go during the fourth beep, you throw the hammer sky-high, almost to the bubble zone of Final Destination! Since this has purely vertical knockback, it can K.O. enemies through the ceiling! The hitbox on the side is similar to Olimar’s U-Smash.

D-Smash: Quake Hammer – Damage: 14-18%, 24% - Knockback: Up
This hits a fair distance on both sides of Mario, and like the other two smashes, it has a timer. Now, if you time it right, you can bury your enemies in the ground, like a Pitfall or DK’s Side B attack! Then, you get a free attack- if your enemies don’t escape first.

Dash Attack: Spin Dash - Damage: 9% - Knockback: Up
Mario slides along the ground and spins. This attack looks eerily similar to his roll. Mindgames, anyone?

AERIAL MOVES

Nair: Quick Spin – Damage: 1% x 10 - Knockback: Forward, Up
Mario spins in the air and does damage to whoever touches him. Like Olimar’s Nair, it has many consecutive hits that can suck in enemies if they don’t DI correctly. This looks similar to his air dodge, and it will take a keen eye to spot the difference. More mindgames!

Fair: Hammer Pound – Damage: 15%, 10% - Knockback: Down, Diagonal
Mario swings his hammer forward, like the Ice Climbers’ Fair. It is much like Falcon’s Knee Of Justice, with three key differences: less strong, less manly, and with a hammer instead of a knee. It is also a spike if spaced correctly. Otherwise, it sends the enemy up and to the side.

Bair: Hammer Swing - Damage: 11% - Knockback: Forward
Mario swings his hammer behind him. It has less range than his Fair, but is faster.

Uair: Hammer Jab – Damage: 14% - Knockback: Up
This is like the Ice Climbers’ Uair, with one key difference: there’s only one hammer. It also has quite a bit more vertical knockback.

Dair: Ground Pound – Damage: 16% - Knockback: Down
No hammer here. Instead, Mario does a quick flip and drops like a rock. Although this is a powerful spike, it can kill Paper Mario if used recklessly off the edge. Sort of like Toon Link’s Dair.

SPECIAL MOVES

Up B: Paper Airplane – Damage: 8% - Knockback: Diagonal
Paper Mario does a short hop upwards, and transforms into a paper airplane! He enters into glide mode (similar to Metaknight, Pit, and Charizard). Pressing A activated the Glide Attack- a small swoop in the air, which can be performed unlimited times in one glide until an enemy or object is hit. Unfortunately, this crumples the nose of the plane, so it can no longer be flown. Mario pops back into his old self.

Down B: Quick Change
Even among other Down B moves, this is unique. When Paper Mario is selected from the roster screen, three of his partners are shown behind him: Parakarry, Bow, and Lakilester (as seen in the first picture). They are shown in a similar fashion as Pokemon Trainer’s three Pokemon. You can select a partner to start with, or let the game choose randomly. When Mario starts the battle, the partner appears behind him and follows him wherever he goes (just like the original game). Pressing Down B, however, makes the current partner retreat and a new partner appear! The process takes about a second. Pressing Down B twice quickly will switch to the third partner in line, instead of the second one. Each partner has their own unique Neutral and Side B attacks. Neutral B is used for defense: Parakarry has recovery and weight, Bow has stun and edgeguarding, and Lakilester has speed and techchasing. Side B is used for offense: Parakarry has a ranged attack, Bow has a close-up attack, and Lakilester has a projectile. You do not need to switch partners at any time- you can use the same one throughout the match without penalty. This allows a great deal of flexibility in fighting styles: Parakarry has a controlled style, Bow has an aggressive style, and Lakilester has a campy style. Although the partners cannot receive damage, they are crucial to Paper Mario’s gameplay!

Neutral B (Parakarry): Air Lift
Parakarry picks up Mario and carries him a short distance. Mario gains extra weight during this time (much like Yoshi’s second jump), and he can drop at any time by pressing B again. Although it costs Paper Mario his second jump, it is a very useful move for getting back to the stage, as enemies will have a hard time knocking you off while you are on Parakarry.

Side B (Parakarry): Shell Shot – Damage: 14% - Knockback: Diagonal
Parakarry will retreat into his shell, and a dotted line will appear on the screen. By holding B, the line will swing up and down. When B is released, Parakarry will shoot forward along the line, ramming into anyone and anything in the way!

Neutral B (Bow): Spook
Hold B, and Bow covers her face…. Then release it, and Bow grows huge, makes a scary face, and cackles madly! Enemies in front of Mario are stunned for a brief time. The longer B is held, the larger the hitbox becomes. If enemies are in the air, it sends them into free-fall animation, costing them precious height if they are off the stage.

Side B (Bow): Fan Smack – Damage: 3% x 6 - Knockback: Horizontal – Cape Effect
Bow takes out her pink-laced fan and smacks anyone in front of her. Like Marth’s Side B attack, pressing Side B multiple times in a row makes Bow keep stepping forward and smacking. Not only is this a combo, it also has a cape effect, so enemies who get hit will change the direction they are facing!

Neutral B (Lakilester): Cloud Nine
Mario boards Lakilester’s cloud and gains mobility. Although he can’t use any moves, he turns on a dime and travels as fast as Sonic runs! Boarding and getting off take a fraction of a second, so this is an excellent techchasing move that will nearly guarantee a grab if you react fast enough. Beware, though- if Mario gets hit, he is knocked back onto the ground.

Side B (Lakilester): Spiny Flip – Damage: 11%, 5% - Knockback: Up, Up
That’s right – Paper Mario has a projectile! Lakilester throws a Spiny egg a fair distance away from Mario. Once again, holding B will increase the strength of this move, so you can hit enemies halfway across a large map if it is funny charged. Once the Spiny touches the ground, it takes a second to disappear. Enemies need to take care and not step on it, otherwise they will receive damage!

OTHER INFORMATION

Stage: Mushroom Theater
This stage is… well… a stage. The audience demands bloodshed! Satisfy their thirst for violence! The stage is flat, and you cannot K.O. anyone on the bottom. There are plenty of traps on this stage to keep you on your toes. Occasionally, water, props, pails, and Shy Guys will fall from the ceiling, hurting you or stunning you. And, of course, there is audience participation. When you see an audience member about to throw a mushroom or a hammer, you’d better be ready for it. Mushrooms can make you huge, but hammers can hurt! If there isn’t enough damage being dealt (e.g. two campy players), the audience will keep trying to nail you until you suck it up and fight!

Item: Dizzy Dial
The screen will twirl around, and all of your enemies will be stunned for a few seconds. Time to attack!

Item: Zap Tap Badge
Wearing this badge sends an electrical current coursing through the wearer's body. Although they are unharmed, any opponent who comes in contact with them gets zapped! Although direct attacks still work on the wearer, the attacker will suffer 3% damage and upward hitstun. This means that any direct attacks performed by the wearer gain 3% damage as well, but the enemy is constantly sent upwards, so it may be difficult to combo (well, you can't really combo much anyway in Brawl, lol).

Assist Trophy: Dimentio
Master of dimensions, pleaser of crowds, dark magician Dimentio appears, like a hurricane at a kindergarten picnic! He flies around and shoots dark energy beams around the stage, striking like an unseen dodgeball in an echoing gymnasium! If any fighters are unfortunate enough to touch him, they are encased in a glowing cage and subject to a series of explosions, dealing massive damage! Upon his entrance, light circus music starts to play, the crowd goes wild, and you can hear his signature laugh: “Ah ha ha ha ha”. After wreaking havoc on the opponents, he departs with a theatrical "Ciao!".

Universe Icon: Hammer
Mario’s signature hammer from the game series.

Entrance
A cursor draws a rectangle in thin air, and the background flips like a revolving door to reveal our favorite 2-D hero (sorry, Mr. Game & Watch).

Footstool Jump: Power Bounce
Paper Mario’s footstool jump has a unique property- it deals damage! Even better, his fast falling speed allows him to footstool enemies multiple times in a row before they can recover from their tumble animation. If he can perform this far from the stage on an opponent with poor recovery, it’s a near-guaranteed kill! However, Mario has to take his own poor recovery into account… reckless use of this tactic could lead to his death.

Idle Pose
If Mario stands still for too long, he falls asleep! When you wake him up, his snot bubble pops (just like the game), and he continues fighting.

Up Taunt
Mario jumps into the air and gives a thumbs-up. The crowd goes wild!

Side Taunt
Mario gazes thoughtfully into the distance.

Down Taunt
Mario gives the audience a grin and a thumbs-up.

Hitstun
When Paper Mario is sent flying, and goes into his tumble animation, he doesn’t fall like normal- he drifts down like a piece of paper does when you drop it! He starts to fall extremely slowly, and moves left and right like Mr. Game & Watch’s Up B Parachute. This aids his recovery immensely. You can see him doing this many times throughout the series.

SSE Boss: Count Bleck
Using his dark, twisted magic, Count Bleck will stop at nothing to destroy Paper Mario and his fighting friends, and bring about the end of all worlds! Plus, it’s a great excuse to use this awesome image.

Kirby Hat
Kirby may turn out to be a counterpick for Paper Mario. Guess why? Because when Kirby swallows Mario, not only does he get a hat, he also steals the partner that Paper Mario is using at the moment, and gains access to their Neutral B attack! The next partner pops out automatically, and poor Mario is left with only two to choose from. And if he gets swallowed by three different Kirbys, then he has no B attacks at all, except for his Up B! Oh, the humanity! Once Kirby dies, though, the partner realizes the folly of their ways, and goes to rejoin their true master. Truly, a bittersweet reunion. Oh, and I got another great image.

Costumes: L and W Emblem Badges
When Mario puts on the L Emblem badge in TTYD, he turns into… you guessed it… Paper Luigi! The W Emblem badge gives him Wario’s colors, and wearing both gives him Waluigi’s colors (of course). All of these costumes are available to choose from. Red Team gets the Mario costume, Green Team gets the Luigi costume, and Blue Team gets the Waluigi costume.

Snake’s Codec
Snake: Looks like they’ve made a paper cutout of Mario. He’s got a (flying turtle/ghost/turtle riding a cloud) with him, too.
Colonel: You must be fighting Paper Mario.
Snake: Paper? This guy’s about to get crumpled and shredded.
Colonel: It’s not so easy, Snake. His hammer packs a real punch. And his (Paratroopa/Boo/Lakitu) has moves of its own, as well.
Snake: He’s got some tricks up his sleeve, eh? I’ll be watching this guy carefully.
Colonel: He’s a featherweight, though. If you manage to land a heavy blow, he’s a goner.
Snake: Sounds like a plan. :chuckle:

SirKibble

Smash Champion
First of all, welcome to (posting on) SmashBoards! I see you're not exactly new to the boards, but I'm rather glad MYM scored your first post! :bee:

The moveset looks nice, and it's obvious you went to some length to make it that way. I like the accompanying pictures, as they really help some things become easier to picture. I also really like your implementation of the partner swap. It's a very practical moveset. My only complaint is that there are so many hammer attacks, and a fair number of them are really similar. Seriously, though, an awesome moveset, especially for a newcomer!! :grin:

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
John9blue: Awesome Paper Mario moveset and first post! (Welcome btw) Like SirKibble said, the moveset seems very practical, and maybe even very true to the character (I wouldn't know; I've never really played Paper Mario). You did a great job of fitting him into the Smash Bros. style. I especially like a few of those unique moves, and the way you made a picture for everything is just wonderful (although you use the same one for a few).

However, like Sir Kibble said, a lot of his moves involve that hammer of his. Also, you're missing damage percentages, which give us a better idea of exactly how powerful a move is.

Other than that though, great first moveset/post! And welcome to the forums.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
@ De3 Minions Frog: Awesome, I love it. Really, your one of the most improved MYMer since MYM3, and your movesets never disappoint.

@John9blue Paper Mario: Welcome to MYM, and also welcome to Smashboards. I like the inclusion of Pictures. Although to help youto improve your moveset potential, it's nice to add damage percentage, the knockback of the move (and the direction they are sent), the range and the lag of the moves (start-up, landing, ending lag and the duration of the move), which are the basic things to add in a moveset, if you want, you'd want to add sweetspots, priority of moves (the attacks without using a weapon) and the hit-box of the move. A good set to boot off with (much better than mine was).

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Agreed with what both of these guys are saying.

@ De3 Minions Frog: Awesome, I love it. Really, your one of the most improved MYMer since MYM3, and your movesets never disappoint.
Thanks, Frogman. I appreciate it. :)

De3 Minions
But I stared at that for sooooooo long before I figured out what you were talking about. :laugh:

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Seeing all the nice movesets lately reminds me that I might want to do another one for this contest if I have time. I might see if I can get a constructive Sandbag review before I do, though.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Yeah, we're pretty far behind on those... :ohwell:

You may want to at least get started without a review, honestly.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Yeah, as much as people want reviews, it's very hard when a member of the sandbags gone for a long time, so things are hard for them at the moment. Maybe you have to say something in the sandbags review to stop reviewing, maybe for a set amount of movesets on the list at a time maybe?

john!

Smash Hero
Thanks for the feedback. I had my moveset stay extremely close to the source material, so you can appreciate it more if you've played the actual games. I wanted to include a picture for every move and found very few pics online that were actually useable... :ohwell:

If possible, I'm probably going to edit the moveset sometime (i.e. more move variety, damage percents, knockback, etc.). I hope that's allowed.

I looked at some of the other movesets after I posted (Happy Gilmore, wtf?!), and as hilarious as they are, lots of moves didn't seem like they'd work in an actual game of Smash (like, they'd take too long). I guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum (not enough creativity) so I'll see what I can do about that. :p

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Thanks for the feedback. I had my moveset stay extremely close to the source material, so you can appreciate it more if you've played the actual games. I wanted to include a picture for every move and found very few pics online that were actually useable... :ohwell:
Gotta give you props for that. It was definitely very true to character.

If possible, I'm probably going to edit the moveset sometime (i.e. more move variety, damage percents, knockback, etc.). I hope that's allowed.
For sure. Granted, your initial post is likely gonna be the widespread first impression of the moveset, but you're more than welcome to add to / change it.

I looked at some of the other movesets after I posted (Happy Gilmore, wtf?!), and as hilarious as they are, lots of moves didn't seem like they'd work in an actual game of Smash (like, they'd take too long). I guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum (not enough creativity) so I'll see what I can do about that. :p
We've got it all here. Some of the movesets are practical, some aren't. It all comes down to making the moveset the way you have the most fun with. :)

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Oh, and how can you forget to add a dancing frog to the AT list, I have great potential to be a assist trophy. Lionking?

Somehow mentioning over detail in mine is a must!

P.S Hyper Ridley is already a character, he can't be both ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom