• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi gets invincibility frames during fireball?

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Alright so I was playing against SwastikaPyle's Falco the other day, and something quite strange happened and I can't figure it out. He shot a laser and it went right through me as I begun my fireball animation. I've heard weird rumors about stuff like this but no one ever had a vid, and luckily I play with a hacked wii so I could save the replay ^_^ Anyway guys, ideas as to what is going on here? I might break it down frame by frame and see what happens later, but who knows, this could be uber useful. So useful in fact that its so hard to do and situational it has never been recorded until now -_-

But really this could potentially be a pretty cool discovery for Luigi, we haven't had much new go on here for a while. Or it could be something totally groundbreaking. Or it could just be something stupid. I assure you there were no items or anything out of the ordinary going on here.

Heres the vid! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwI6nf89kQM

CR4SH

Smash Lord
If this is as useful as it looks, luigi could be in for a boost.

Or it could be completely useless.

I vote for the former.

P.S. Might want to see what the falco boards know about this.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
My observation:

I think the Falco shot a laser a bit too high, and Luigi ducked under it. His hat doesn't count at a hurtbox more likely. *shrug*

Mew2Queen

Smash Rookie
Thats sick he does a little side step into another dimension were the hit box does not follow. I saw something like this on the falco boards yesterday were falco does his up smash and pikachu did his side b move and when falco did his up smash pikachu flew directly under him when he reached the pinnaccle of his up smash and it was pretty sick.

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrl-_BEgDQk

video of falco dodge if interested ^^^^^

Vist

Smash Champion
hmm.. can't really explain it. I'm guessing it either really is an invincibility frame or somehow there's a disjointed hitbox with his head at that point which was lower than the laser like a2zomg said

vKo

Smash Cadet
I think he did get the invincibility frames.
I just tested out shooting Luigi at that height and he gets damage for a headshot.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
What you need to do to test this out is like...pick someone like Squirtle, who has a 1 frame Jab, and keep trying to Jab Luigi at different frames on training mode...or something silly like that.

Personally me I just think Luigi ducked right under the laser though lol.

Magus420

Smash Master
Remember that the smash world is in 3 dimensions. If the hitbox of the laser is anything like it was in Melee, it's very narrow and travels down the middle. When Luigi did the fireball his head went more towards the background and 'behind' where the laser passed through. Falcon/Ganon's side-Bs did this in Melee and was even more noticeable.

It looks almost like the laser goes right through Ganon's head/chest there, but he's actually in front of it towards the foreground.

Delvro

Smash Ace
If that's the case, then most attacks will still hit Luigi, since fists and swords aren't paper thin like Falco's laser and can reach into the background/foreground slightly, is that correct?

Still, I'm going to training mode to test tonight. =P

Eten

Smash Ace
Yes, most attacks still connect. Only flat stuff like Pit's Arrows and Falco's blaster and stuff get dodged. And it's only higher up, about Luigi's head-height, if Pit directs his arrow low for example, you'll still get hit. You go in da backround for a quick moment is all!

I thought I already said this here a while ago, but you know it just doesn't have much use. Luigi will just rather conveniently dodge a few projectiles by chance when you fireball.

crewster

Smash Lord
I remember once when I paused the game in the middle of a fireball luigi was green, I think he gets one frame of "light" (like the dodge/invincibility on ledge).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Remember that the smash world is in 3 dimensions.
Whoa seriously? Now I've heard everything!

I guess it makes sense. It's just I never noticed it for any practical purposes. Now the dodge frames on Ganon's Side-B make sense.

crewster

Smash Lord
I'm actually very intrested in this. I'm going to upload some pictures from my SD card if I fugure out how to upload them into my pictures. Little help? It says invalid file when I try to upload.

WIGI

Smash Champion
i dodged jiggs rollout yesterday with a fireball. o.0 not sure if i ahve the replay or not. but it was weird.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I think its the same deal with uploading video, you need a certain device to get the snapshots on your computer. I don't know though.

linkmaster71

Smash Rookie
I don't think videos from the Wii can be converted to work on PC. You need a special program for Snapshots. I just don't think one has been made for videos.

crewster

Smash Lord
But I was going to show you that a spot dodge makes you step into the background.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
I think someone with enough skill could make some use of this, but I think it might be a bit too situational for huge boost in the metagame

Sick find though LuigiKing!

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
those aren't invici frames, luigi just dodge the laser while attacking
same with this pic
Very helpful post APC. Does the stick still leave Lucas's lower half vulnerable though? I'm assuming it does, just thought I would check. This is still pretty interesting though, I didn't know that many moves worked like this. Its sort of like a semi spot dodge attached to an attack. Neet. Maybe we can make use of this somehow, it also makes me wonder if it works the same in the air...

And thanks zhao :)

KrazyCyclone

Smash Rookie
Wow that is Very interesting and this has happened to me before when i used luigi's fireball in mid air

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
But I was going to show you that a spot dodge makes you step into the background.
If that was the only factor behind spotdodges, you would still get hit by stuff like Mario's D-smash as his legs sweep into the background LOL.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
His legs don't get inv. frames when he does it, though.
No, he means that just stepping into the background doing a spot dodge wouldn't realistically allow you to evade Mario's Dsmash, because he does a 360 sweep to attack, which would still hit you. The inv. frames from the spot dodge get this done in practice.

Wizard99

Smash Journeyman
No, he means that just stepping into the background doing a spot dodge wouldn't realistically allow you to evade Mario's Dsmash, because he does a 360 sweep to attack, which would still hit you. The inv. frames from the spot dodge get this done in practice.
This makes a lot of sense.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Well if it helps... I play regularly against nub pits and average ones and i commonly "dodge" the light arrows while fireballing. They didn't hit me... the arrows just kept going passed luigi. It goes past his chest area so its not like the head is lower (clearly ABOVE the arrow). It literally like passes through luigi upper-midsection (through his armpit?!). Maybe the sprite-box of luigi is SUPER-DISJOINTED/wierd during the fireball animation. Donut-sprite spotdodge???

PS. Luigi has kung fu skills anyways--who WOULD be skeptical about him dodging moves without even trying... lol

Sincerely,
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK, still a fledgeling smashboards'er

and a luigi secondary :D Green dude ftw!

prOAPC

Smash Lord
Very helpful post APC. Does the stick still leave Lucas's lower half vulnerable though? I'm assuming it does, just thought I would check. This is still pretty interesting though, I didn't know that many moves worked like this. Its sort of like a semi spot dodge attached to an attack. Neet. Maybe we can make use of this somehow, it also makes me wonder if it works the same in the air...

And thanks zhao :)
i haven't tested it with other attacks, but it should work with attacks with small hitboxes.
i'm sure you luigi's main will find an use of this fireball dodge, with Lucas, i do it quite often vs a happy grabber Yoshi

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Looks like he crouched a little and it went through his hat, its possible that the hurtbox shifts significantly downward during the animation.

Delvro

Smash Ace
Well if it helps... I play regularly against nub pits and average ones and i commonly "dodge" the light arrows while fireballing. They didn't hit me... the arrows just kept going passed luigi. It goes past his chest area so its not like the head is lower (clearly ABOVE the arrow). It literally like passes through luigi upper-midsection (through his armpit?!). Maybe the sprite-box of luigi is SUPER-DISJOINTED/wierd during the fireball animation. Donut-sprite spotdodge???

PS. Luigi has kung fu skills anyways--who WOULD be skeptical about him dodging moves without even trying... lol

Sincerely,
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK, still a fledgeling smashboards'er

and a luigi secondary :D Green dude ftw!
While this works if the Pit player shoots a straight arrow, it will NOT work if they curve the arrow down. It hit's Luigi's knees. Pretty neat WTF trick, though.

From what I can tell, it doesn't work against Falco's grounded laser, because Falco is too short.

More thorough testing on the way, but I'm not very hopeful =(

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
LOL i loved the Gdorf video. This can prove to be useless, except in a projectile shootout, and even that falco shoots another laser in time for Luigi to do something.

Top Bottom