• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Low tier character tactics

ShujaaF

Smash Rookie
It seems as though all character AT's are made for high teir characters. As a Captain Falcon/Ganon main, are there any new AT's develpoed, or being searched for, on these characters?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
All of the high tier characters except Marth, who has less AT then both Falcon and Ganon I do believe...

Also, that should be something you ask at their boards.

Also, Link is 4th from the bottom, and has a ton of AT's.

Also, Falcon is too manly for good AT's.

No AT's are 'made' for high tier characters, they just happen to be found for them. Or happen to exist.

AT's do not neccesarily make the character any better or worse, nor do they neccesarily improve your gameplay.

Just FYI?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Havokk is right. Just because they aren't AT's doesn't mean they aren't important. I don't think autocancelling Ganon's Dair is an AT, but that doesn't mean discard it.

Head to the character specific boards for more info, and I would recommend you learn who the best players are, watch videos of them, and LEARN, don't TRY AND COPY.

Also, the sales pitch "I don't trust this website" is not a good one.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Havokk is right. Just because they aren't AT's doesn't mean they aren't important. I don't think autocancelling Ganon's Dair is an AT, but that doesn't mean discard it.

Head to the character specific boards for more info, and I would recommend you learn who the best players are, watch videos of them, and LEARN, don't TRY AND COPY.

Also, the sales pitch "I don't trust this website" is not a good one.
AC'ing Ganon's dair isn't an AT, just nicknamed Thunderstorming. lol

--about 99% sure on that.

FoG is an AT however =p

Adapt

Smash Lord
AC'ing Ganon's dair isn't an AT, just nicknamed Thunderstorming. lol

--about 99% sure on that.

FoG is an AT however =p
FoG is near useless :( It looks awesome though when you surprise someone with it

There are a lot of higher ranked characters that have few (good) ATs...
Marth, D3, ZSS, Lucario, DK... etc

While several characters have like 15 each (Link, Pit, and Pikachu come to mind)

It's best to master the basics of your character before you try any ATs unless they are hugely useful (Bucket Braking for GaW, Glide toss for Diddy/ZSS/Peach/Rob)

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
wish there was a universal at that would separate players depending on good tactic and usage like wavedashing did for spacing and faster movement

Napilopez

Smash Lord
As has been said, ATs just happen to exist or not for a character in this game. There are few "universal" techniques.

Sonic and Link are both low and have gazillions of ATs.

ATs don't make or break a character. For characters lke marth, you need to master spacing rather than ATs to be good.

Blah

ftl

Smash Journeyman
If you're playing an underused low-tier character, it may be worth trying out things that people who don't know the matchup won't know how to counter. I'd guess that at least some of the low tiers have some brick walls they can do which have specific counters, but many opponents won't know them because they don't see them that often.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sonic's AT's **** people who don't know the matchup lol.

Also, Falcon's Dash Dance and Foxtrot/Foxtrot Dance put together are like, super trap awesome.

okay, not really, but it's pretty good anyway lol.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Link's got some good ones, Mario's got some good ones, Lucas has Zap Jump, and Yoshi has Dragonic Reverse.

Niko_K

Smash Master
It sounds like you are trying to learn the game and get good by learning AT's as a base. I made the same mistake and it took me months to correct my style of play and actually learn the main focus in smash.

Actually start by learning the basics before trying to incorporate character specific AT's. Of course, some AT's are necessary in certain characters metagames. So find out which AT's are the MOST important for your character, and stop there for now.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
So find out which AT's are the MOST important for your character, and stop there for now.
Agreed. Universal ATs are all you should be concerned with. Make sure you can auto cancel all of your character's aerials that can be auto canceled. Learn how to use reverse aerial rush. Practice glide-tossing and catching items with dodge/attack. Don't get hit. Lol.

But seriously, learn the basics and work from there. Your gameplay should certainly develop including a couple of good techniques, but learning them isn't going to make you any better if you haven't gotten down the more basic aspects of gameplay.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
It's best to master the basics of your character before you try any ATs unless they are hugely useful (Bucket Braking for GaW, Glide toss for Diddy/ZSS/Peach/Rob)
I'd learn basics before either of these, too.. :p

Learn the basics. Don't even think about trying to learn at's until you can do tilts without accidentally smash attacking (or jumping if you play with tap jump on).

Once you have the basics down, check out the character specific boards for character specific at's. AT's are not "invented" they are discovered. If you find something that you've never seen before, make sure to search for it before you make a post.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Don't worry about "advanced techniques" so much as "techniques". The distinction between an "advanced technique" and a "basic technique" is ultimately pretty unimportant.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Not at all to be honest.

Link has a lot of AT's for example, whilst several characters higher up have relatively little.

Sonic has more depth in two of his specials then a lot of characters do in their whole movesets.

[/repeating what everyone else has been saying]

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Well as said by others. Learning the basic game play is important. Character's like Mario for a example prove a good start off, not to mention once you dart down his basic game play (he's really easy to pick up everyone loves Mr. Nintedo amrite? :D), you can go with Mario's ATs like cape gliding. Though I don't know if Mario's tricks are ATs but merely "tricks" or regular techique, they are frosting of your game play.

Mith_

Smash Champion
^ His sig makes me giggle.

I want to get destroyed by a Sonic main. I've never really played against a good one...
You don't want to fight a Sonic that knows how to use him you will want to kill yourself he is so ugg.

Top Bottom