• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
"TWILTHERO said:
She's one of the hottest anime girls known to mankind!!!
LIES AND SLANDER

The Misa moveset's funny. :p In a good way, of course.

For my second moveset I'm planning to make Wander from Shadow of the Colossus. I probably won't get to it until I'm done with the game, though. (Although there will be some very unique moves)
I agree with that (about Misa). More than anything, I found this particular 'set to be really funny. Like Smash Daddy said, I don't think it's the most technically balanced or though-out piece you've done...but certainly the most humorous.

Also +1 for Shadow of the Collosus, Frf. Just try and make it better than the MYM3 version...

Allow me to elaborate; several movesets that come across here are well established, researched, and often stick true to the character. One of the main recurring facets is borrowing numerous attacks, abilities and functions from their game. I like the odd nod here and there to them, and when done right it's among the most impressive of all things that could possibly be done. But sometimes there are attacks that are almost shoe-horned in, or feel too much like the actual character if you know what I mean. It ends up relating move-making almost more to an even simpler jigsaw puzzle than a more, for lack of a better term, 'creative' one. I'm not talking about feel of the character of course, as that is in my opinion one of the greatest priorities of a moveset, but of the connected use of attacks.
Yes, it's a terrible thing. None of the 39 actual Smash Bros. characters borrow more than a handful of moves from their games of origin, and even then they usually act differently (Mario can't quickly fire off two fireballs, Samus can't rapid-fire her Power Beam, Link's bombs explode on contact with the ground, etc. etc.).

I've seen some really good movesets in this contest get unintentionally dragged down by being in essence copypasta from the character's actual movelist from one of their games.

And this next part doesn't have so much to do with what you're talking about, but it's another thing that's been bugging me in MYM4: enough with the freaking special mechanics!

It's one thing if your character has some interesting little tidbits like one extra midair jump or an unusually fast shield roll or something...but it's gotten to the point where "Special Mechanic" is an almost mandatory section in every moveset.

Which is simply ridiculous. There's like, three instances of things like that in Brawl (Lucario's Aura, PT's Stamina, and the dual-character Ice Climbers). And most MYM4 mechanics are much more complex than those comparatively simple, actual ones.

I know that of the three movesets I've posted so far, two have had unusual mechanics. I acknowledge the hypocrisy here.

...But sometimes, when a new moveset's posted...I find myself crossing my fingers that I won't find some random twist a quarter down the post. [/rant]

Allow me to elaborate; several movesets that come across here are well established, researched, and often stick true to the character. One of the main recurring facets is borrowing numerous attacks, abilities and functions from their game. I like the odd nod here and there to them, and when done right it's among the most impressive of all things that could possibly be done. But sometimes there are attacks that are almost shoe-horned in, or feel too much like the actual character if you know what I mean. It ends up relating move-making almost more to an even simpler jigsaw puzzle than a more, for lack of a better term, 'creative' one. I'm not talking about feel of the character of course, as that is in my opinion one of the greatest priorities of a moveset, but of the connected use of attacks.
Yes, it's a terrible thing. None of the 39 actual Smash Bros. characters borrow more than a handful of moves from their games of origin, and even then they usually act differently (Mario can't quickly fire off two fireballs, Samus can't rapid-fire her Power Beam, Link's bombs explode on contact with the ground, etc. etc.).

I've seen some really good movesets in this contest get unintentionally dragged down by being in essence copypasta from the character's actual movelist from one of their games.

And this next part doesn't have so much to do with what you're talking about, but it's another thing that's been bugging me in MYM4: enough with the freaking special mechanics!

It's one thing if your character has some interesting little tidbits like one extra midair jump or an unusually fast shield roll or something...but it's gotten to the point where "Special Mechanic" is an almost mandatory section in every moveset.

Which is simply ridiculous. There's like, three instances of things like that in Brawl (Lucario's Aura, PT's Stamina, and the dual-character Ice Climbers). And most MYM4 mechanics are much more complex than those comparatively simple, actual ones.

I know that of the three movesets I've posted so far, two have had unusual mechanics. I acknowledge the hypocrisy here.

...But sometimes, when a new moveset's posted...I find myself crossing my fingers that I won't find some random twist a quarter down the post. [/rant]

Did you have to post that twice? o_o
Yes. :bee:

Did you have to post that twice? o_o
Yes. :bee: (If you feel like VM/PM'ing me that one special for 02 I'll take a look at it--I just don't feel like sifting through the past couple pages looking for a preview.)

To quote some random person on the internet:

"While I recognize the effort that clearly went into this set, DFM--its originality as well--I just don't think it's deserving enough for a high position in the top 50. I really don't think it's better than Joker, Deoxys, Mach Rider, and Kawasaki. It just strikes me as a funny YTP set like Spade's King Harkinian. But that's just my opinion. It's good, just...not THAT good."

Personally speaking I think YouTube Poop is an absolute affront to comedy. Not only that, but I'm not a big fan of the character himself, even sans YTP. So yeah, from what I read it was a well-built moveset...but because of my predisposition, I'm left the odd man out here.

...Seriously? I could maybe understand a glitch that ended up with a double post...but two pages later?

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Don't be so repulsed by criticism, it's there to help. Instead, be flattered and grateful that someone took the time to read your work thoroughly with an ascertive opinion of it, and encourages improvement as a result.
Ummm.....i am thankful for the comment, but i was just saying that it ain't my best work. I'm not replused at all. Plus....that Misa moveset was for fun only, and i just went crazy with it:dizzy:. So, i'm not repulsed by the critism at all, though it may seem like it.
Also...not to be rude, but why don't you just mind your own business?

@DFM:

I like it! A lot! It's a really great moveset AOSTH Robotinik. I don't like YTPs either, but it has a lot of creative attacks, and is really awesome. It is also MAYBE a contender for one of my super votes (though i admit, i think that there are better movesets from you, my favourite being Undead Hero from you). Awesome job man, awesome job :bee:

@Mendez: Wha? How can you not find Misa hot?

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord

Hmmm. There's a complaint I haven't really heard. Personally, I think the main problem with Brawl is that there are so few special mechanics, I pretty much love all three of those characters (along with Olimar, you missed that one).

I do see your point, though. They can occasionally feel tacked on and unnecessary. Movesets can be even better going without - take Black Doom, take Dimentio. Of course, that means you need some particularly creative attacks, and many characters simply don't have the capacity for that without something to spruce it up.

So yeah. For the most part, I agree. Mostly. [/hypocrite]

Also frogman, I'm not insulting the moveset, which is great, from what I've read. I'm just saying that it won't interest me as much as some other characters will. I like to think I'm unbiased in my sizing up of movesets, but that's really pretty much impossible, and we all know it.

Smady

Smash Master
I won't quote the image, as I'm sure everyone knows which moveset I'm talking about.

Wow. Never before have I laughed so much along with a 'set, to be impressed at the same time is flabbergasting. I can't believe you lived up to my high expectations, DFM, but you did it, and then some, with Robotnik. Moves like his neutral special, his up special, his down air and in fact most of his moves are extremely unique and hilarious to boot. I have to stamp this as one of my all-time favourite movesets sheerly for the enjoyment I've gotten out of it. The question is, vote or super vote? I'm not sure if I can really take the set so seriously - for what it's worth, I love what you did. I hope it places highly, just because that would be deservingly epic.

Strangely, it also seems to have split the community a little in the thread. To throw in my two pence, DFM has only taken reference from the cartoon and the very tip-top 'YouTube Poops', not the ones that repeat sentences over and over in an unfunny manner. I can see why people may not appreciate even that, but DFM deserves credit for his masterpiece! :chuckle:

I salute you, Frogman.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Also frogman, I'm not insulting the moveset, which is great, from what I've read. I'm just saying that it won't interest me as much as some other characters will. I like to think I'm unbiased in my sizing up of movesets, but that's really pretty much impossible, and we all know it.
I assumed you wasn't, besides, liking a character more than another will make you enjoy reading a character you're familiar to/ like more is inevitable that your going to prefer a moveset more than another, it's our human nature. Anyway, us MYMers can never reach the expectations of some, so it's was going to be impossible to make everyone like such a character mocked on the interent.
That's why, if I hate a character or like a character, I try to understand every context of a moveset with the same respect, trying not to be biased.
oh and yeah, AOSTH/YTP Robotnik is a character you will either love, or hate, so I know I'm never going to please everyone.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
@Special Mechanics: Like KRool said, I love the few special mechanics we have in Brawl. Those things really give those characters a unique play style and set them apart from the rest of the roster.

Now, obviously a move set doesn't need a mechanic to be awesome or unique. Joker and AOSTH Robotnik don't have any over-arching mechanics and those are two of my favorite move sets in MYM4. My own Black Doom doesn't have any mechanics and he's still who I consider to be my best move set.

But sometimes you get an idea for a mechanic that is simply too good to pass up. Like Kawasaki's soup or, my personal favorite, the epic team mechanic of Jonathan and Charlotte. And what do you know, Kawasaki and J&C are my other two favorite move sets! And my own Bass and Treble move set coming in MYM5 also has a mechanic that I simply would never allow myself to do without.

So what does that tell ya? Well, for me at least, it means that I don't care if a move set has a mechanic or not, and I don't think anyone should either. In the end, whether there's no mechanic or something as crazy as Grimer, what's important is that the move set as a whole is good, and if some special twist is part of what makes the move set good, well, so be it.

SparkZ

Smash Cadet
Another preview...

Down Smash. Glimmering Gold. 13% to 17%. 55 degree knockback. Kills from 136% to 102. Large range. Above average lag starting, and some lag ending. Stays out for 2 minutes.

Characteristics: CM takes a lump of gold out of his coat and looks at it fondly, and then holds it up in the air. The sun shining off the gold into the eyes of the other person stuns them for a moment, where they are holding their hands up to their face. While they are temporarily blinded, he throws the chunk of gold at them, clocking them in the head.

Uses: This is another neat move, despite being surpassed by Silicon Slice. The main use for this is to hit opponents that are far enough away that you can’t hit them with Silicon Slice, making it a great spacing tool. It also has the bonus of “If you hit with the first hit, you will hit with the second”, making it similar to Shocking Stick. Overall, a decent smash. As far as reactions go, there are a few exotic Crate Bomb compounds, it can be electrified, and Mercury sticks to it and eventually dissolves it, but is still quite bad. There are better options for reactions.

On an unrelated note, I just had the best idea ever for the Dair!! Hint: It involves exploding oxygen tanks.

kitsuneko345

Smash Ace
*sending Sundance lots of apple pies on Pi Day, as
So it's gone to unoriginatily to special mechanics... Okay then. Here is my two cents.

I somewhat argee with Chief Mendez about the idea of Specialmechanics are as a whole, but sadly this might a little too hard to get out that habit. Originality is said to be a major factor in movesets, and creating one is one of the easier ways of doing so.

I think this is why Mendez thought My Plusle and Minun was win. Their mechanic was that depending on their distance away from each other, their attacks will get stronger. They also have a few moves that they can perform together and others that need the other to work fully. It's a simple mechanic like that won tenth place in MYM3 due to the originality and relevance to character.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Wha? How can you not find Misa hot?
Because she's, to put it bluntly, completely fucking ********.

Beauty's only skin deep, y'know. :p

Hmmm. There's a complaint I haven't really heard. Personally, I think the main problem with Brawl is that there are so few special mechanics, I pretty much love all three of those characters (along with Olimar, you missed that one).

I do see your point, though. They can occasionally feel tacked on and unnecessary. Movesets can be even better going without - take Black Doom, take Dimentio. Of course, that means you need some particularly creative attacks, and many characters simply don't have the capacity for that without something to spruce it up.

So yeah. For the most part, I agree. Mostly. [/hypocrite]
@Special Mechanics: Like KRool said, I love the few special mechanics we have in Brawl. Those things really give those characters a unique play style and set them apart from the rest of the roster.

Now, obviously a move set doesn't need a mechanic to be awesome or unique. Joker and AOSTH Robotnik don't have any over-arching mechanics and those are two of my favorite move sets in MYM4. My own Black Doom doesn't have any mechanics and he's still who I consider to be my best move set.

But sometimes you get an idea for a mechanic that is simply too good to pass up. Like Kawasaki's soup or, my personal favorite, the epic team mechanic of Jonathan and Charlotte. And what do you know, Kawasaki and J&C are my other two favorite move sets! And my own Bass and Treble move set coming in MYM5 also has a mechanic that I simply would never allow myself to do without.

So what does that tell ya? Well, for me at least, it means that I don't care if a move set has a mechanic or not, and I don't think anyone should either. In the end, whether there's no mechanic or something as crazy as Grimer, what's important is that the move set as a whole is good, and if some special twist is part of what makes the move set good, well, so be it.
Notice how those characters in Brawl are generally some of the least popular characters to play as? I'd wager that has more than a little to do with how you've got to work with unusual factors, like visually keeping track of not only you, your opponent, and other on-stage variables (items, hazards)...but also (as an example) how many Pikmin you have and where they are on the stage. And for the best play, which order they're in.

I think it's pretty clear why the majority of the Smash Brothers don't have special mechanics--because they're actually kind of unintuitive, considering how the game plays. So that said...

...I think it just goes back to that intangible "intended for Smash or just for fun" thing (I think) you were talking about a while back, K.Rool. Except for the joke 'sets I've done, I would love to see every character I do get into a Smash Bros. game, and what's more--to use the moveset I wrote up for them.

But others here are just using the Smash Moveset template to translate and present any awesome idea that pops into their head, regardless of practicality.

ARGH

...This is entirely too much meta-discussion for me. I'mma go play me sum' Omega Boost. :psycho:

EDIT -

@kit345: Yup. Like Plusle & Minus, if the mechanic is intrinsic to the character--awesome. The founding idea behind the entire Mega Man franchise is "rock, paper, scissors." Which in the games translates to defeating Robot Masters, absorbing their powers, and using those powers to trump the others in turn. So I think the way I translated that into Smash worked out okay, at least.

...Oh, darn.

Now I can't follow this up with an example of a mechanic that was out of place, or I'll hurt someone's feelings. Oh well, you all know what I'm getting at.

Smady

Smash Master
Originality vs. speciality is an interesting debate, which I can't pass up on jumping into.

Originality effects an entire moveset in a big way, speciality can be anything from strapped on, to a core focus of the entire moveset. The former is indespensible and truly takes consideration, whilst the latter is hit-and-miss. No person should feel the need to 'stand out' by using a special mechanic, because that is simply not the case anymore. Too much focus is put on making these cool mechanics and generally trying to make a moveset 'unique', rather than attaining goodness all around. I like to think I'm one of the most vocal when it comes to gimmick movesets or ones just out there because of the attention they bring, especially crappy ones like Dark Link or that other terrible one I forget, whereas the gimmick is, "it's all their claws," or, "it's a Link clone, so it's already viable!". Some have lost focus of what the point of Make Your Move is, in trying to fit in / stand out with craptastic attempts that trapeze on god-awful singular mechanics, and leave the entire rest of the set blank or shit.

Rant, rant, rant. I hope this adds to the discussion positively.

Baloo

Smash Ace
Personally, I prefer the air originality. I mean, why make a set that is practical, when it will obviously not make it into smash. When SSB4 is being made, Sakurai or whoever won't come here looking for sets. If you make a moveset for a sword user, and you make it just a bunch of generic slashes you won't win, people will hate it. But face it, those are the ones that, if any, would get into smash. With the exception of Game and Watch, the sets in Brawl are, quite simply, boring. And that won't change in the future games.

tldr, why make a moveset practical if it won't be included in brawl, might as well go all out with originality.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Sorry, about that, MarthTrinity,but I can't believe I beat you to it, even though the idea came to me months later... I'll use the pic, thanks, and I'll just save it to my comp. and upload it onto my photobucket account from there. Also, I'm in the middle of the moveset right now, just in case you're wondering.
Hey, like I said it's all good. I've had the idea for Vergil for ages now (I did Dante as one of my last movesets of MYM2) but I kept getting other ideas.

You beat me to it, fair and square : P

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
Glad it's okay with you, Marth.

I'm kind of in the middle with the whole originality vs. specialty, but I mostly agree with Smash Daddy, special mechanics are good, but they need to affect all or most of the characters playstyle, not just one or two moves. A good example is Trunks, his attacks are dependent on his mechanic. Or something like my Piccolo, not trying to brag or say he's better than most, which he isn't, but his mechanic(the whole fly thing) affects his entire playstyle, I.E., you must get used to the mechanic, it's not just there for one attack, it's there for the entire battle. You can't ignore it, but you can ignore something like Misa's if you so choose.

Oh, and anime girls like Misa can be hot even if they're stupid, cause you don't have to put up with them in real life:laugh:

YTP Eggman was definitely the funniest moveset, and I think he deserves a spot on the top fifty, but not a very high one. True, you put a lot of work and description into him, and that's great, but you should do that with a more serious character, cause if you do, they'll probably win the whole freaking contest.

TheSundanceKid

Smash Lord
!

if she says this to L (moveset by TheSundanceKid), L will say, "I'm....a pervert?" while eating a lollipop. No other opponent will say something, besides L =P.
:bee:

Misa was great! The mechanics were really cool. I'm suprised you posted as fast as you did...since I have been working on L for what seems like 10 years...<_< *contemplates suicide*

Misa IS really dumb. She's about as smart as a lamp, not a smart one but a dim one! *rimshot*

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
...Seriously? I could maybe understand a glitch that ended up with a double post...but two pages later?
Sorry. My computer's been glitching up as of late, which has contributed in no small margin to my absence. By the time I'd made that post, all my webpages were glitching up and all I could do was refresh 'til it got it. I saw it coming. :ohwell: It'll probably happen during this post now too.

Anyway, Dr. Poopbotnick: I, like several others (thank GOD for sanity), detest YouTube Poop and its pathetic attempts to look cool well I don't think I'll go into that for kindness' sake. HOWEVER this is all combined into one moveset, creating a character sillier than even Wario, which makes the imagery of each attack a delight (somehow). The organisation and effort to detail is top-notch, and it's evident that proper thought and effort went into designing him, though Fluff My Pillows might be too powerful for a quick trap-attack. Thanks for the quality moveset, I'll be sure to remember it come voting time.
Though I will complain about the lack of an "I'LL DRIVE HIM!!" attack.

As for moveset 'practicality' vs. 'creativity', I'm afraid I'll have to support practicality. There's nothing wrong with giving your character special mechanics and the like, and it's all the better if you do something you have fun with. But at the same time, the point (or at least, how I see it) of designing a Smash moveset is designing a moveset that could work in Smash Bros. Therefore, ease of use, adherence to the game's mechanics and principles, and simplicity with depth are among the most important factors. It's nice to see a great blueprint for something that'd be akin to a revolution of Smash, but at the same time there is nothing as rewarding as getting the image from a moveset of a character you feel you can play as - in terms of relevance to character, I find that is the most important part. [ADVERTISEMENT=7] For example, when designing Ed, I noticed that a few people in the Advance Wars community were talking about having a 'factory' dynamic; that the character doesn't do any fighting but instead his attacks deploy different units. That didn't sound good to me - sure, it's technically what an Advance Wars CO does (they don't fight in the game) but I wouldn't be getting the feel of playing a character from that game with defined characteristics: I'd be getting the feel of a stripped-down version of the actual game itself, which would be best implemented as a boss fight of sorts.[/ADVERTISEMENT] Know what I mean?

Tanookie

Smash Journeyman
*sends Sundance a leather harness on Dragon Apprec
:(

But, please, if you disagree with someone, at least tell someone WHY you didn't like it? I know it's your opinion and I respect that, but still, I like the reasons why?
I mean, the set's creative and unique and all, but it just crosses the line when it comes to humor. If you haven't watched the cartoon, you won't get half of the moves, and in that sense it's sort of exclusive.

The main thing that got me mad about it was that everyone seems to think the set is amazingly 'epic,' when in reality, it just a clever compilation-turned-moveset of a bunch of funny memes/clips from a not-so-great 90's Sonic cartoon.

*Cough cough Alucard cough cough*

To quote some random person on the internet:

"While I recognize the effort that clearly went into this set, DFM--its originality as well--I just don't think it's deserving enough for a high position in the top 50. I really don't think it's better than Joker, Deoxys, Mach Rider, and Kawasaki. It just strikes me as a funny YTP set like Spade's King Harkinian. But that's just my opinion. It's good, just...not THAT good."
Whoever said that must have been some sort of genius. ;)

But... Harkinian is no YTP set. :(
Mah bad. *Consoles Spade* I meant that it's a moveset based off of clips/memes from a crappy TV show. Shoulda reworded that.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Ah yeah, I guess that up-tilt of his is vastly overpowered due to the quickness. I'll sort it out to make it slower.

And thanks for the comments guys, though you do know that a third of the attacks are not YTP'd that i'm aware off, and sorry for the people who dislike the YTP moves, but I can't please everyone.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I WILL have 02 up tomorrow, if not tonight. I know, I know, good news for everyone who was waiting for it. :bee:

The L moveset still isn't done? o_o I really want to see that =P

EDIT: Aerials and throws are all that are left for attacks. ^^

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
Oh crap. This is not good. I was down to Vergil's basic attacks, and then my internet messed up. It wouldn't load new pages, refresh, or anything. All I got was a blank page. Plus, when I tried to go back(which usually works), blank page. I tried to exit, then it froze:(. I couldn't even copy/paste it into wordpad... This sucks royally. Don't worry, though, I'll have him done, but it may not be as soon as I thought..it'll definitely be before the end date. Mardyke, I understand your situation now..

Frf

Smash Apprentice
@Mendez: Glad to see another SotC fan :]

I wasn't aware there was another Wander moveset, though. I'll look for it when I get the chance. (Maybe I shouldn't, it could tempt me to steal ideas...)

Salvo Fenris

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... I've been doing mine in Word. I figured trying to do it on the site would be kind of dumb. And I was right-- if I had, it would have gone with my power. Random question: does Notepad have any particular advantage over Word, or is it just what you use?

Baloo

Smash Ace
On my computer Word is horribly glitched and freezes the computer every three words you type, so notepad is a lot better for me. But if Word is functional, use it. It's better.

Personally, I use wordpad to start. Then, I edit it into a previous post of mine and update it from time to time until it's ready. that way, it's already BB Coded, so I copy and paste.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
See, this is one sense in which I like my own personal system. I work on it directly in Smashboards, so I can add the visual side as I go, BUT I also periodically copy-paste it to Word, and save it there. That way I minimize my potential losses, save time, and have the finished moveset ready for posting at the drop of a pin.

Smady

Smash Master
See, this is one sense in which I like my own personal system. I work on it directly in Smashboards, so I can add the visual side as I go, BUT I also periodically copy-paste it to Word, and save it there. That way I minimize my potential losses, save time, and have the finished moveset ready for posting at the drop of a pin.
That is exactly what I do. I feel that previewing it here on the boards gives me a better sense of what I'm doing, but I'm still constantly updating my Word document so that I don't lose any data. Firefox freezes on occasion, this method has saved me a few times.

The moral of this story: save your work methodically.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I do this too, but with notepad, because I hate using MS Word.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I was told I had to make a Kirby moveset to be considered a decent competitor. I accepted that challenge, and this is my statement.

Zero Two

The Return of Zero!
==========================================================

[\[Bio]/]
Zero Two is the final boss of Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. It
resides deep within a dreary little star named Dark Star. It resembles an angel
due to the fact that it is Zero, (Final Boss of Kirby's Dream Land 3) back from
the dead and still controlling Dark Matter. This juxtaposition, along with as its
eerie qualities, has earned it the title of being one of the more horrific bosses
of the series. Zero Two has two blood soaked wings, a halo, a dark red eye, and a
tiny spike on bottom. It wishes to build upon the original Zero's conquest by
taking over the surrounding planets of Pop Star. It is only able to feel negative
emotions. It reasons that if it cannot be happy, then neither can the rest of the
galaxy.

[\[Special Mechanic: Mental Domination]/]
If 02 uses 10 command attacks in a row and on the same opponent each time, a dark matter eye will follow them for 12 seconds. When this happens, 02 can use his command attacks anywhere, and if they don't hit anyone, the stalked opponent will still be effected. After the time is up, the eye vanishes and 02 will have to hit the opponent with 10 more consecutive mind commands.

[\[Stats]/]

[Power:] 02 isn't a serious hand-to-hand fighter, but his shadow attacks can pack
a punch. 4/5
[Speed:] 02 hovers slowly through the air. He is slower than Bowser, even! 2/5
[Air Control:] 02 flies naturally, so he is very easy to control in the air. 5/5
[Recovery:] 02 has a small recovery, but a useful one. 3/5.
[Control:] 02 isn't exactly a beginner character. He's slow and powerful, and
many attacks do very little at close range. 2/5
[Overall:] 64%. 02 is about a D-rank character. His only good parts are
projectiles, air control, and the power of his magic.

[\[Weak Attacks]/]

[A] Disorientation
A tear of blood comes from 02's eye, and anyone right in front of him gets turned around and pushed away from him for 4%. The attack can go through shields, and when it does, it does 1%. The attack has no starting lag at all, and has no end lag. The opponent, regardless of damage, is pushed a short distance that would push them out of range of most of 02's attacks.

[Up Tilt] Halo Shot
02's halo glows blue, and begins shivering. The halo quickly changes from blue to green, then yellow, orange, and red. It takes about half a second to get from blue to red, which is the startup lag. When it hits red, the halo shoots a small dart of energy out of it that hits the opponent for 5% and no knockback. Only flinching. The tilt can be spammed like a close-range projectile, but the fifth time and on that it's used as a barrage, it will only do 1% damage. The tenth time and on, it won't even make the opponent flinch. There is about a quarter-second pause between each fire when spammed. After being spammed, 02 is left vulnerable for a whole second instead of the regular half second.

[Forward Tilt] Smack
02 slaps forward with one of his wings. The attack pushes the opponent back a small distance for about 6%.

[Down Tilt] Wing Trip
02 lays on his back and spins, his wings doing 2% to the opponent and causing them to trip. The opponent can be tripped up to three times if they are far enough away from 02 and are standing behind him.

[Dash Attack] Dark Torpedo
While 02 is running, he flips back and dives into the opponent spike-first. The attack has low knockback and pulls the opponent with 02, doing 2%. There is very little ending lag.

[Ledge Attack 1] Dark matter
A puddle of dark matter forms on the ledge, and attacks away from the ledge in the form of a tentacle. 02 then gets back onto the stage.

[Ledge Attack 2] Dark Implosion
A puddle of dark matter forms on the ledge, and then implodes as 02 struggles back onto the stage, dealing 2% but large knockback.

[\[Smash Attacks]/]

[Up Smash] Spew
02 spews small orbs of energy from his eye in a small arc over him. The range is small, and the attack does 13% electric damage. Knockback is medium.

[Forward Smash] Surprise (Command Attack)
02 closes his eye very briefly, and it opens quickly. When his eye opens, one opponent directly in front of him will taunt. No damage or knockback. Ending and opening lags are very small.

[Down Smash] Fear (Command Attack)
02 does something similar to Surprise, but when his eye closes a tear of blood comes out. When he opens his eye, opponents directly in front of or behind him will automatically roll away from him. There is very small opening and ending lag.

[\[Special Attacks]/]

[^B] Dark Matter Transport
This recovery may seem bad at first, but isn't completely horrible. 02 turns to dark matter and it flies up a short distance, maybe half of Snake's recovery, and it takes straight up. However, after this recovery, 02 gets 1 or 2 slightly larger jumps than usual, depending on how much damage he has. The recovery does no damage, and the only vulnerability is the small opening when he reforms. There is a small half-second starting lag when he turns to dark matter, and a small half-second end lag when he forms in the air.

[>B] Blood Shredder
02 closes his eye, and a tear of blood comes down. After a half a second, 02 leaps forward, spinning at high speeds, using his wings as an attack. The attack has a medium range, because it slowly sucks opponents into it. The attack does 1% per hit, and can hold an opponent long enough to do 30%. But it's easy to escape from. After the attack, 02 is left open for a whole second. You can tap B during the attack to stop, and suck opponents in from a larger distance. Before 02 begins to move, the control stick can change the attack properties. Holding left or right makes the attack move farther and last longer, but not hold opponents or suck them into it. Holding up makes 02 able to use this attack as a recovery by making the attack longer, go up, and still go left or right. The attack does not suck opponents in. Holding down causes 02's wings to grow. The attack now does 3% per hit, but the attack lasts only half a second.

[vB] Tail Blot
02 vibrates violently as a short, sharp-looking green tail emerges from its underside. While 02 is making its tail, he will not flinch. There will be about three seconds to attack 02 before he activates the attack, damaging anyone nearby as if they were hit by a blob. When the tail is fully formed, 02 will point his tail in the direction you point the control stick, and shoot globs of green liquid from it at about 2 per second. The liquid moves very slowly through the air, and moves through items and the stage its self. The blobs expand and contract, so they have no deffinate size. However, they do not get smaller than Olimar or bigger than Mario. They do about 10% each and do small-moderate knockback. 02 will hold the position for six seconds, unless he takes 20% or more from one attack while firing. When the move ends, 02 becomes vulnerable, for he slowly flips back over to his regular position. During the attack, 02 is invincible while he can fire.

Light Scatter
02 closes his eye for a split second, and fires a single white ball from his eye that flies in a straight line, and will either be manually detonated after 1/4 the length of FD by pressing B, or will automatically explode at 3/4. It moves pretty slowly. The projectile, when it explodes, shoots six more projectiles in six different directions, which go a short distance and explode. The main orb does 12% and has medium knockback, but the smaller orbs only have 5% and no knockback. Contact with either deals 1% electric damage. After the attack, there is considerable lag, so don't try to abuse it.

[Final Smash] Dark Star
02 shudders, and dark matter energy pours from him. After about four seconds, it consumes the entire stage. For the next ten seconds, Dark Matter will attack the stage. Dark Matter will come in many different sizes from the size of Kirby to the size of two bowsers. The large ones are extremely rare, however. The Dark matter do no damage, and instead will fly at the stage. When they hit the stage, the section they hit will turn to Dark Matter. When an opponent stands on it, they will begin to sink through it very slowly, all the way through the platform. If a character gets hit by a Dark Matter of the same size(or bigger), they will act like a level 3 computer and go for the nearest opponent with endless agressiveness. However, during a 1v1 match, the posessed opponent will be possessed for half the final smash, but will stand completely still and act as a punching bag. At the end of the Final Smash, all of the Dark Matter flies off the stop of the screen. This does 30% and knocks opponents a good ways. 02 is vulnerable the entire time, and is able to float over the Dark Matter that he created.

[\[Aerials]/]

[Up Aerial] Halo Razor
02's halo jumps from over him up a short distance, then back down. If it collides with an opponent, it knocks them straight up a ways for 11%.

[Forward Aerial] Tail Scrape
02 extends his green tail and scrapes it in front of him. It sends the opponent a small distance for 10%.

[Back Aerial] Winged Cartwheel
02 does a cartwheel in mid-air, slicing with his wings. The attack stops opponents in mid-air and does 5%.

[Down Aerial] Warp
02 vanishes immediatly and appears a short distance down. In his place is a Dark Matter eye, which lingers briefly and then vanishes. If an opponent touches the eye in any way, they take 7%.

[Neutral Aerial] Pulse
02 pauses and closes his eye, and a pulse is send from his eye to all nearby opponents. If they are hit they get pushed a moderate distance away, for 3%.

[\[Throws]/]

[Grab] Stare
02 stares at his opponent, holding them in place with his gaze.

[Grab Attack] Intimidate
02 vibrates, and the opponent takes 2%.

[Up Throw] Backflip (Command Attack)
02 sends a mental command to his opponent, and they jump backwards, taking 4%.

[Forward Throw] Shove
02 flaps his wings in his opponent's face. The opponent gets knocked back and takes 7%.

[Back Throw] Desperation (Command Attack)
02 appears behind his opponent, and they run a short distance from him. They take 4%.

[Down Throw] Faint (Command Attack)
02 commands his opponent to faint, and they lay on the ground, taking 5%.

[\[Taunts + Victory Poses]/]

[Up Taunt]
02 floats up a short distance and spins in the air.

[Side Taunt]
02 appears angry, and his halo grows read, and he looks about ready to lunge at an opponent.

[Down Taunt]
02 appears to sigh, closing its eye and dropping down a bit before getting back up and refocusing.

[Victory 1]
02's halo flashes green while he stares at the camera, hovering slowly in the air.

[Victory 2]
02 does a reverse of his Kirby64 appearence, where his eye closes and heads down his face, and two dots appear, making a smiley face.

[Victory 3]
02 attempts to clap with his wings together in satisfaction.

[\[Other]/]

[Idle Pose]
02 simply hovers in the air, facing forward. He bobs up and down slightly in the air, and occasionally closes his eye or flickers his wings.

[Losing Pose]
02 appears to slowly explode in a burst of light, like when he was defeated in Kirby 64.

[Shield]
02 closes his eye, and his halo vanishes as his shield forms.

[Forward Roll]
02 turns to dark matter and shifts forward, then reforms facing the opposite direction.

[Back Roll]
02 flaps his wings to push himself backwards.

[Dodge]
02 shifts into the background quickly before moving back.

[Air Dodge]
02 turns to dark matter, and reforms in mid-air.

[Dizzy]
02's eye turns black with a red pupil, and he flaps his wings awkwardly trying to stay in the air.

[Sleep]
02's eye closes and he falls to the ground.

[Stage Entry]
a large mass of dark matter drops from above, landing on the stage. It melts away to reveal 02.

[Select Screen]
You hear the sound of 02's standard special projectile.

[\[Misc.]/]

[Codec]
Snake: What is THIS? It looks totally bizarre...
Otacon: Oh, that's Zero. Zero is a creature from Dream Land that has the ability to control monsters made of dark matter.
Snake: Zero? Well, do you have anything else to tell me?
Otacon: Zero was killed in a battle with Kirby, but came back from the dead as "Zero Two." 02 can still manipulate dark matter, but his sorrow over his loss has given him the ability to manipulate minds. Try to avoid--
Snake: *Snake ends the transmission*

[Kirby Hat]
Kirby has a yellow halo floating over his head, and his face is replaced with 02's eye.

[Alternate Costumes]
02 has a red, blue, green, yellow, black and orange costume where the tips of his wings and his halo turn the respective color, and his skin tints to match.

[How to Unlock]
-Clear boss battles with Kirby on hard
-Play 75 versus matches with Kirby, then defeat 02 using Kirby. (Kirby has to win the last match, or 02 will not be unlocked even if you beat him.)

[Theme Song]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXhPsNQeweA (Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwpLSiplyYc&fmt=18 (Original)

I hope this one is good, I haven't felt this good about a moveset since Skull Kid. I think I can honestly expect something this time. =D

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
02 appears to be a solid move set. I would suggest though, that there is some more indication in the actual move set of what attacks are "command" attacks". Otherwise, it's an interesting mechanic (uh-oh, mechanic!) and this move set did the character justice. Love the FSmash :bee:

SirKibble

Smash Champion
The mechanic is awesome and I love the creativity. Some more detail (it isn't my job to talk about this, but I'm bringing it up) might be good in a few places, but the set definitely has something solid.

majora_787

Smash Hero
02 appears to be a solid move set. I would suggest though, that there is some more indication in the actual move set of what attacks are "command" attacks". Otherwise, it's an interesting mechanic (uh-oh, mechanic!) and this move set did the character justice. Love the FSmash :bee:
I fixed that, and took it out of the mechanic statement.

I had fun with the commands, with a scenario like this in mind...

Player 1 is using 02, and looks like he's about to attack Player 2. Player 2 notices player 1 about to attack, so he shields. The command, not being an attack, goes through the shield and player 2 starts to taunt. :bee: Gotta love the wtf moments.

Yeh, I could have NOT added the mechanic, seeing as how making a new mechanic makes the moveset less original lately...But I did 02 justice and didn't make him a rip-off or anything, which is what I'm here to do. =D

EDIT: Sorry spade, I stopped throwing music in when I stopped giving everybody a stage. ^^"

The link to 02's theme is now at the bottom of the moveset.

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
Well, I normally do save it in Wordpad, but I was using it to write a report for English, and I didn't want to exit that. My computer isn't good that way, it has a deletion problem. Come to think of it, just to be safe I'll start E-mailing it to myself, like I do with my reports...cause then I have to delete it, not glitches or stupid Internets.

Anyways, it was easy to just re-write it all, so I'm almost at the point I was at. It is turning out good, in my opinion, despite all this.

02 was pretty good, interesting moves and mechanic. I congratulate you on a great moveset, Majora.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
@02: Great moveset! I flinched when I read the words "special mechanic", but I guess it's alright. Everything looks fine, really. +1 Kirby characters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom