• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

½NIÇK½FBM

Smash Apprentice
I Recommend

Band/song-The Knux-Capaccino
Genre-hip-hop/techno/rock
Notes-Most of their stuff is based around hip-hop with rock or techno mixed into a little. Pretty cool. Right here.

Band/Song-Delta Spirit-Trashcan
Genre-Rock
Notes-They have guy who does nothing but play the trashcan. How awsome is that? I have yet to hear a trashcan solo however. Right here.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Daft Punk: they're a french techno duo. Really amazing, they do crazy light shows when they play live.us probably the best gaming music ever
Just a correction here, Daft Punk actually falls under the House genre.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
However, Alive 2007 is a pretty hard album is more of a House/DnB mix.

Can someone reccomend me some DnB that's chill. I'm thinking DnB with more of a jazzy tone to it. Like Outkast's "My favorite things."

D

Deleted member

Band name: Asia
Genre: Progressive rock?
Other notes: Im not sure if anyone here has heard of them, but my parents said that they were popular in the early 80s. I think their best album is Then & Now, which has the coolest album art ever. My favorite song of theirs isn't the famous, Heat of the Moment, but the insanely awesome Only Time Will Tell.

Band name: A Flock of Seagulls
Genre: New wave (maybe electropop?)
Other Stuff: Typical one-hit wonder. Sang some great songs but they all are overshadowed by I Ran. I think alot of people have heard I Ran, and you're really missing out on the other stuff.

SaxDude93

Smash Apprentice
Band: Morphine
Albums: All of them
Genre: Jazz Rock, Low Rock, Indie Rock. But truthfully, you have to listen to Morphine to understand what genre they are. The sound is so unique, so experimental, so awesome. It's is something wonderful

Info: So you want to get into Morphine, eh. If you don't like Saxophones or if you are looking for Guitars, I suggest you go away and find something else to listen to. As Morphine's entire discography is basically Saxophone, Drums, and various kind of Bass Guitars. That's right, no guitars! And that is what Morphine is all about.

"Morphine immediately established a minimalist, low-end sound that could have easily become a gimmick: a 'power trio' not built around the sound of an electric guitar. Instead, with sly intelligence, Morphine expanded its offbeat vocabulary on each album."

Morphine was founded by Bassist/Demi-Bassist/Songwriter Mark Sandman. He was joined by a former bandmate from Treat Her Right, Saxophonist Dana Colley. Billy Conway/Jerome Deupree rounded Morphine out on drums. Morphine's sound was unheard of before and was refreshingly good. Sandman on two string slide Bass, Colley on Bari Sax, and the percussionist described themselves as "Low Rock" (Low Bari Sax sound + Sandman's low vocals)

Morhpine sadly ended wen Mark Sandman died of a heart attack that he suffered while perforimng in Italy. RIP Sandman, you will be missed. Also check out Sandman's earlier work and Twinemen.

And some youtube links for viewing pleasure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISGj2OFLTnc&feature=related# - Buena
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sheJcFCL6I&feature=related - You Speak My Language/Honey White
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1iTZItBzGY&feature=related - All Wrong/Whisper

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Tim Follins, Mike Follins, Geof Follins.

Who are they? They are Game music composers, and man are they great (in my oponion)

For example, they composed for games like Plok, Equinox, Solstice, Ecco the Dolphin for the Dreamcast, and many many others.

Not your typical music, I know, but if you like game music, you might like these guys. : D

How did I get introduced to these guys? I randomly picked a game and got Equinox, played it, and it was so epic, and other worldly, I loved it. Then I searched for more music that the Follins they have composed, and man was I impressed. :3

Enjoy.

Examples:

LED storm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OJIcDWaE3U&feature=channel_page
Equinox: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkngWbskQcU&feature=channel_page
Plok: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRarpk3WaR0&feature=channel_page

KING BRISKET

Smash Apprentice
Artist/Band-Bloc Party

Genre-Alternative Rock

Other Notes: Anyone who's played Guitar Hero 3 has heard their song 'Helicopter' but outside of Canada know really knows who they are. Look em' up and listen to few of their tracks, and I'm sure you'll love em' as much as I do.

Hot Tracks-Helicopter
Blue Light
Stayin Fat
Pioneers
Price Of Gas

Scott!

Smash Lord
Gabriel Mann

Genre: Pop/Rock

Essentially, he's a one man tour-de-force. His type of music is piano-driven and emotionally powerful. He's had a couple songs on TV shows, but has stayed pretty far under the radar. Of course, that could just be because he's on the opposite coast from me. But he hasn't made it big yet. But if you're interested, here's a link to his Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Gabriel-Mann/28491530725?ref=ts

and Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/gabrielmann

So check him out. He's awesome, I swear.

blackHybrid

Smash Rookie
Thought you guys mught want to hear a couple of the rock bands from my local area Stoke, England :chuckle:

Band name: Already Gone
Genre: Classsic Rock
Notes: Great set of guys who write some brilliantly cheesey rock and some very beautiful songs. Only been going a years in my area and are set out to get signed soon :)

Band Name:
Livid
Genre: Heavy/ Classic Rock
Notes: A band who has been gigging round the UK for around 10 years (i think) They have now been signed and have an album out on May. Awesome bunch of guys who can write some epic tunes

supermario27mx

Smash Ace
Quick Picks

Minus The Bear - Alt/Indie
Los Kung Fu Monkeys - Ska Punk/Hardcore
Armin Van Buuren - Trance/House
Los Karma - Hardcore/Prog/Latin
Zoe - Alt/Indie/Electronica

Enjoy :)

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
Band Name: Asher Roth
Genre: Hip-hop/Rap
Other Notes: Great rapper, just becoming popular. Sort of like Eminem, except more laid-back. I hate rappers that only rap about their money and how many chicks they can get in a day. Actually, Roth made an A millie remake and asked people why rappers with a ton of money don't just give it to charity. Funny yet deep song. xD

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Darn it, I cant mention Metallica, oh well, here are 2 bands i highly recommend

Band Name: Megadeth
Genre: Thrash Metal
Other Notes:Listen only if your into fast metal, highly recommend listening to "Rattlehead", "Peace Sells" and "Hanger 18"

Band Name: Rammstein
Genre: Metal
Other Notes: They are german so if you plan to listen to them in english, there is only a few song they have in english, if you want to know what they are saying, watch the subtitle videos on youtube

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Band Name: Set Your Goals
Genre: Post-Hardcore

Hot Tracks:
The Fallen
Mutiny
Echos

Synopsis: This bands cohesive vocals, vast array of musical styles and seemingly perfect execution of their desired sound coupled with their upbeat and optimistic subjects makes for an enjoyable listen.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Hey has anyone heard of the band Power Glove they are an awesome group who do instrumentals of old good video game music like songs from F-zero and Mario and the famed Final Fantasy series and some others but the point is this is a great band that's not that publicized and needs more recognition

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Darn it, I cant mention Metallica, oh well, here are 2 bands i highly recommend

Band Name: Megadeth
Genre: Thrash Metal
Other Notes:Listen only if your into fast metal, highly recommend listening to "Rattlehead", "Peace Sells" and "Hanger 18"
Dave Mustaine is a crybaby

User_Maat_Re

Smash Cadet
^Yes, he is. Megadeth is also wasn't what it used to be. Mustain needs to be on Heroin again. :p

Other great/better Thrash bands: Annihilator(first 2 album, their second album is godly), Sodom, Kreator, Sadus, Death angel, Destruction, Slayer, Exodus, Testament, Overkill, VIOLENCE, Anthrax.

If you want good Thrash. Dig deeper. Or be like me and listen to Cryptopsy and Suffocation all day. \m/ >:D

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
Band: Number Girl
Long version: Early stuff sounds like pixies/sonic youth. If you are really into the pixies start with the 1st album, school girl bye bye. School girl distortional addict is even more noisy, the production reminds me of You're living all over me by Dinosaur Jr. Toumei Shoujo is rapeeeeee... here is the PV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ_zAuxaDRc&feature=channel_page
If youre more into modern sounding stuff then check out Sappukei and Numheavy-metallic. This is where Number girl really develops their own style and iirc dave friedman produces them. Good ****, I spent 20ish to buy one of the CD's on ebay.

Short version: If you like 80s/90s indie and alternative you gotta listen to Number girl.

JOBOT

Smash Journeyman
Band name/Artist:Tortoise
Album: TNT
Genre: instrumental/alternative jam
Other Notes: These guys will grow on you. The band is very percussion based, they have 2 drummers, a vibe player, a guitar and bass, and a keyboard. All of there stuff is very unique and is nice when you need to think without someone telling you what to think about.
Tracks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4G4W3UFv0k&feature=related is a very good song, love the guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sps7YxLeYM&feature=related is an entire concert set, it progresses from laid back into a fierce jam, very interesting if you have some time

Ya I'm sure someone put these guys up already since they are so incredible, but I'll put them up just in case....
Band name/Artist: Tool
Album: any... but 10000 days is their most recent
Genre: experimental rock/ dark
Other Notes: Very good band, everything they do is different and inventive. They have a sort of hardcore rock feel to them with a small mix of electronic synth. Beautiful lyrics and mostly angry. If you haven't listened to these guys please go slap yourself then immediately go check them out.
Tracks: all their stuff is great but here's a few songs to warm you up to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjldoZb3NLs&feature=related great song, very powerful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s57FtD2HKLw love the beginning and great voice synth

Snail

Smash Lord
Band Name/Artist: Porcupine Tree
Genre: Progressive Rock
Notes: I know they were mentioned before, but I rather disagreed with the poster's recommended starter songs because they don't accurately represent what Porcupine Tree sounds like at all. PT is a band formed by musical genius Steven Wilson in 1989. They make extremely versatile music; they've done long, symphonic pieces (e.g. The Sky Moves Sideways), psychedelic "trippy" songs ( particularly the Voyage 34 album), emotional ballads (I recommend My Ashes on their Fear of a Blank Planet album), acoustic music and, especially on their latest two albums, some heavier music with metal influences. Either way, I cannot say which style I prefer; the beautiful atmospheric songs of their earlier days (although they still have those on their later albums as well) or the more thrilling, catchy music from their latest albums. PT is amazing. Go buy their stuff. Now.
Recommended Albums: psychedelic-ish: Voyage 34; relatively quiet, atmospheric: Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun; their later, heavier music: Deadwing, and especially their latest concept album Fear of a Blank Planet. I also recommend Steven Wilson's latest solo-album, Insurgentes, if you enjoy this music.
Recommended Starter Songs: Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here (Deadwing); Trains (In Absentia, or preferably the XM II EP version), any part of Voyage 34, Fear of a Blank Planet (FoaBP album), Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled (Lightbulb Sun). I know that's quite a few songs, but listening to parts of different albums is the only way you'll get an overview of their many styles.

Band Name/Artist: The Pineapple Thief
Genre: Indie Rock with progressive influences
Notes: The Pineapple Thief was founded in 1999 by Bruce Soord, former band member of Vulgar Unicorn. I only own their latest two albums, What Have We Sown and Tightly Unwound, and find both very enjoyable. Tightly Unwound sounds a bit like Porcupine Tree; the band fairly obviously co-operated with PT's founder Steven Wilson for the album, although that is (to me, at least) definitely not a bad thing. They have a nice mix of calmer songs, heavier ones and some extremely long (20 minutes+) ones, most notably the last song on Tightly Unwound. I'm going to check out their earlier work soon, but I can definitely recommend their latest albums.

Band Name/Artist: Pendragon
Genre: Neo-Progressive Rock
Notes: Pendragon is a British neo-progressive rock band established in 1978. The band is still active today, having released their latest album Pure in 2008. Pure, and their album Believe, released in 2005, are somewhat darker than their earlier work, which is not a bad thing in my opinion. They're heavier than the other two bands I mentioned, but the heaviness is all functional and it never really goes over the top or anything. If you're going to check them out, I'd recommend Comatose I, II and III on the Pure album; listening to all three of them will give you an idea what they generally sound like.

If you liked any of these bands, I also recommend Marillion (you can legally download their entire latest album absolutely free on http://www.musicglue.com/marillion), Spock's Beard (I own their latest album and Feel Euphoria) and IQ; three other major neo-progressive rock bands I would honestly like to write more about but I'm rather tired of typing right now.

Hope you guys enjoy their music as much as I do.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Band: Number Girl
Long version: Early stuff sounds like pixies/sonic youth. If you are really into the pixies start with the 1st album, school girl bye bye. School girl distortional addict is even more noisy, the production reminds me of You're living all over me by Dinosaur Jr. Toumei Shoujo is rapeeeeee... here is the PV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ_zAuxaDRc&feature=channel_page
If youre more into modern sounding stuff then check out Sappukei and Numheavy-metallic. This is where Number girl really develops their own style and iirc dave friedman produces them. Good ****, I spent 20ish to buy one of the CD's on ebay.

Short version: If you like 80s/90s indie and alternative you gotta listen to Number girl.
High Tier Japanese band, Good pick bro

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Notes: I know they were mentioned before, but I rather disagreed with the poster's recommended starter songs because they don't accurately represent what Porcupine Tree sounds like at all. PT is a band formed by musical genius Steven Wilson in 1989. They make extremely versatile music; they've done long, symphonic pieces (e.g. The Sky Moves Sideways), psychedelic "trippy" songs ( particularly the Voyage 34 album), emotional ballads (I recommend My Ashes on their Fear of a Blank Planet album), acoustic music and, especially on their latest two albums, some heavier music with metal influences. Either way, I cannot say which style I prefer; the beautiful atmospheric songs of their earlier days (although they still have those on their later albums as well) or the more thrilling, catchy music from their latest albums. PT is amazing. Go buy their stuff. Now.
Recommended Albums: psychedelic-ish: Voyage 34; relatively quiet, atmospheric: Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun; their later, heavier music: Deadwing, and especially their latest concept album Fear of a Blank Planet. I also recommend Steven Wilson's latest solo-album, Insurgentes, if you enjoy this music.
Recommended Starter Songs: Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here (Deadwing); Trains (In Absentia, or preferably the XM II EP version), any part of Voyage 34, Fear of a Blank Planet (FoaBP album), Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled (Lightbulb Sun). I know that's quite a few songs, but listening to parts of different albums is the only way you'll get an overview of their many styles.

Band Name/Artist: The Pineapple Thief
Genre: Indie Rock with progressive influences
Notes: The Pineapple Thief was founded in 1999 by Bruce Soord, former band member of Vulgar Unicorn. I only own their latest two albums, What Have We Sown and Tightly Unwound, and find both very enjoyable. Tightly Unwound sounds a bit like Porcupine Tree; the band fairly obviously co-operated with PT's founder Steven Wilson for the album, although that is (to me, at least) definitely not a bad thing. They have a nice mix of calmer songs, heavier ones and some extremely long (20 minutes+) ones, most notably the last song on Tightly Unwound. I'm going to check out their earlier work soon, but I can definitely recommend their latest albums.

Band Name/Artist: Pendragon
Notes: Pendragon is a British neo-progressive rock band established in 1978. The band is still active today, having released their latest album Pure in 2008. Pure, and their album Believe, released in 2005, are somewhat darker than their earlier work, which is not a bad thing in my opinion. They're heavier than the other two bands I mentioned, but the heaviness is all functional and it never really goes over the top or anything. If you're going to check them out, I'd recommend Comatose I, II and III on the Pure album; listening to all three of them will give you an idea what they generally sound like.

If you liked any of these bands, I also recommend Marillion (you can legally download their entire latest album absolutely free on http://www.musicglue.com/marillion), Spock's Beard (their latest album and Feel Euphoria) and IQ; three other major neo-progressive rock bands I would honestly like to write more about but I'm rather tired of typing right now.

Hope you guys enjoy their music as much as I do.
I approve of this post. Also, more acts to go with it: 3, Pure Reason Revolution, Abigail's Ghost.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Eh, I guess I'll throw something in here.

Artist: Sonny
Genre: Electronica/Dance/Ambient
Albums: Gypsyhook EP (watch for the LP, Bells, later this year)
Notes: Sonny Moore was the lead singer of From First To Last for a few years before going solo in 2007. He's released tons of demos on his myspace over the course of the past two years, all of which are amazing. He just released his first EP, Gypsyhook, in April, and his debut full-length is expected to be out later this year.
Starter Songs: Signal, Mora (warning: weird video), Glow Worm, Copaface, Concentrical, Moss

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Band: Guest
Genre: Soft-ish Rock
Other Notes: They only have a few songs out so far, I only know about them because Brittany and Brandon Hargest from Jump5 made it, and I like Jump5. These songs are much more mature than there other stuff though, they do an equal amount of singing and there songs are very good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umCQ...947D01B55&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq9DaDs2KzU&feature=PlayList&p=E543BC9947D01B55&index=1

Band: Pendulum
Genre: Electronic/Synthosized
Other Notes: Extremely intersting band, very upbeat and synthosized. SO fun to listen to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfcHq0Ivte4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04QpInkz9so

I'll be back with some more some other time =P

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Band: Counting Crows

Genre: Rock...? You really have to hear their stuff, no single genre can contain them.

Albums: August and Everything After, This Desert Life, Recovering the Satellites, Hard Candy, Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings.

Notes: Probably the most talented individuals in the music industry in my opinion. There really isn't a way to accurately describe their music. It resembles modern rock but with something... more. Some good songs if you just want the highlights are... Rain King, Mr. Jones, All My Friends, High Life, Angels of the Silences, Goodnight Elisabeth, Miami, Up All Night, Los Angeles and Cowboys. I included two songs from each album in that list, those are my favorites, but none of their songs are bad IMO.

Band: Blue Rodeo

Genre: Again, varied. Predominantly rock, with some country, folk, pop... they have everything.

Albums: Too many to name, but their Greatest Hits album is amazing.

Notes: Another very talented group of people. They released their first studio album in 1987 and just released their latest album last year. My favorite Blue Rodeo songs... 5 Days in May, Rose-Coloured Glasses, Diamond Mine, Rain Down On Me, Bulletproof, This Town, Bad Timing, Are You Ready, Rena, Til' I Am Myself Again, Hasn't Hit Me Yet and Somebody Waits. There are many more, but those are just the ones I thought of off the top of my head.

Just thought I'd contribute.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Band: Counting Crows

Genre: Rock...? You really have to hear their stuff, no single genre can contain them.

Albums: August and Everything After, This Desert Life, Recovering the Satellites, Hard Candy, Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings.

Notes: Probably the most talented individuals in the music industry in my opinion. There really isn't a way to accurately describe their music. It resembles modern rock but with something... more. Some good songs if you just want the highlights are... Rain King, Mr. Jones, All My Friends, High Life, Angels of the Silences, Goodnight Elisabeth, Miami, Up All Night, Los Angeles and Cowboys. I included two songs from each album in that list, those are my favorites, but none of their songs are bad IMO.
Lovely choice, August and Everything After is their best album IMO. Gotta love Mr. Jones

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Notes: I know they were mentioned before, but I rather disagreed with the poster's recommended starter songs because they don't accurately represent what Porcupine Tree sounds like at all. PT i....
Haha! That was me, and looking back I agree with you. It was right after I found out about them through Wilson's work on Blackwater Park. Those were actually the first two tracks I heard and I didn't exactly have much else to suggest at the time. I just didn't know what I landed on.

Due to the quality of your post, the fact you used the search function and evidence of good taste, I'm going to pay attention to your other two suggestions as I rarely branch out from my standard music library.

Dual Kirby

Smash Apprentice
Band Name: Otep
Genre: Deth Metalish?
Notes: One of the few metal bands with a good female vocalist. The lyrics are really powerful and poetic at the same time. Its metal so its recommended for people who are into the heavier stuff Not many people have heard of them theyre not very mainstream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom