• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aurora's Ike needs Critique

Aurorazoni

Smash Journeyman
xD I've looked sooo long for someone to be able to record a match with me, just so I could put a video up here for critique. Yes It's Wi-Fi :[ I don't have a capture card so I won't be able to record offline videos.
Anyway here it is
Aurorazoni(Ike) vs Relaxed(Pit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nGtXvxDOJI

It's the second game out of 2. :x The first match was awful xD.
Anway, I'm aware that I am not "good" I rate myself decent if anything. :x Critiques welcome.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Lets see for faults...

0:16: Why did you finish the jab combo? He was already behind you.
0:23: Fsmash? I'm assuming you meant to ftilt and fsmashed by mistake
0:48: Why Eruption from all the way back there? It should really be used against someone like Pit on a stage where they can easily jump through the bottom.
1:05: Eruption again. 3rd on in about 20 seconds.
1:25: See above, except 4th one in 35ish seconds.
1:38: You got lucky there with the QD. Pit could have easily edgehogged or gimped you.
2:05: Poor Fair spacing caused you the stock there.
2:15: I know I said I would be talking only about thoughts here, but nice fake out with the turn around Usmash.
2:50: Should have gone for Dtilt instead of Fsmash. It's quicker, instant spike KO, and would have probably forced the Pit to not be so willing to fly around under the stage
3:01: Finished the Jab Combo as Pit moved out of range.
3:48: You need to aim for the ledge more with Aether. Gives you more options, and less lag.
4:14: Random Eruption in the middle of the stage.
4:43: REALLY bad spacing on the fair there.
4:53: You should have been KO'd for landing on the stage
4:48: You finished the wiffed combo again.

Overall: Not bad. Need to work on jab canceling and spacing the fairs a bit more, as well as not using Eruption so....randomly often.

Gaudeo

Smash Cadet
Yeah, you need to work on your spacing, you were attacking from miles away. Also I agree with Nidtendofreak about using your d-tilt spike.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Well, you seemed to jab cancel strictly for offense, which isn't bad, but Ike's jab has great zoning potential, you can use it to get your opponent right where you want them.
You didn't down smash. It's a decent punishing move and would have worked fine since he tried to get behind you a few times.
I saw some areas where a counter would have worked.
Your grab game could improve, there were times where you could have successfully nabbed him.
Down tilt spike could have worked fine as well.

That's about all I can give to you.

EDIT: Oh yeah, your spacing man....tsk tsk.
You need to work on it. You were in his face too much, and there were times when you dodged for no reason, that opportunity could have been used better.

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
You weren't bad but you need work. Apart from the main stuff like your jabs and spacing, I noticed something else. On your last stock you started to get desperate and started throwing out kill moves left, right and centre. You should have stayed calm and focused on your game and fought normally instead of getting flustered. I suffer from the same thing from time to time. Don't worry though man, it'll come.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Too much jab, jab, ftilt. It didn't work the 2 or 3 times you did it. Stop rolling into / behind people. Didn't see much or any jab, grab or jab jab, dash grabs.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Needs less wifi imo.
Quoted for truth, but it's understandable if you can't find a good opponent to play against. You can just use a digital camera to record the match; the quality isn't too bad, in my opinion.

I watched the match; I'm not really sure what to think of your Ike, since Wi-Fi tells so little. I noticed how in the beginning of the match, you tried a lot of jab -> FTilt; you should only try to do "fancy" stuff like jab -> UTilt/BAir/etc. when your opponent is at a middle or high %, since at low % you want to focus on bringing them into killing range with guaranteed and easy damage; the jab combo fits that criteria, not jab -> FTilt. Jab (cancel) -> jab combo works very well for this, I would recommend using either that or the not-as-guaranteed jab -> kick (cancel) -> jab combo.

There were also times where you just threw out Eruption at high %, but not so high that your opponent would die from it. In my opinion, Eruption is a "what-the-heck" move, in that you'll only get it off if your opponent is not expecting it. This means that when you do use it, you want it to count; if you are following this guideline, you should only use Eruption when it will land you a kill or if you're coming back and you want to protect yourself from an overly-aggressive edgeguarder. There were times when it seemed like you just threw out Eruption hoping that your opponent would run into it; try to bait people into running into it, rather than throwing it out randomly.

Last thing: I know it's over Wi-fi so the connection plays a huge role in this, but your DI was very bad at times. At any moment you realize you've left yourself open, you should predict that your opponent will punish you and hold a direction to DI in. There were some times when it looked like you weren't DI'ing at all.

Aurorazoni

Smash Journeyman
Alot of solid critiques.
So if I read right, I am too aggressive and lack spacing. I need to stop finishing my jabs if the opponent isn't in them, and stop using fancy ends at low percents such as Jab Jab Ftilt/Utilt/bair.
From the last bit of comments I should stop playing on Wi-Fi? xD Alabama has a small community, and the chances of me being able to go to offline events is rather rare. ;P But I'll record a few matches of me playing my brother's Meta and Falco when I get the appropiate material. x.x It wont be pretty though.

Thanks for the critique's everyone. I'll make sure I fix these mistakes.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Alot of solid critiques.
So if I read right, I am too aggressive and lack spacing. I need to stop finishing my jabs if the opponent isn't in them, and stop using fancy ends at low percents such as Jab Jab Ftilt/Utilt/bair.
From the last bit of comments I should stop playing on Wi-Fi? xD Alabama has a small community, and the chances of me being able to go to offline events is rather rare. ;P But I'll record a few matches of me playing my brother's Meta and Falco when I get the appropiate material. x.x It wont be pretty though.

Thanks for the critique's everyone. I'll make sure I fix these mistakes.
If you can't find anyone to play with, I would resort to Wi-fi; it's better than nothing, in my opinion (I had to make this choice last summer).

Top Bottom