• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMPETITIVE Brawl+: Code Agenda

The Night Cat

Smash Cadet
Things of note about buffer tech fix:

I believe 20 frames is too high, for example, if your are trying to shield but miss late and you can often just get hit into the ground and tech. Also I have tested at 15 frames and can this still happens sometimes and regular techs are still easy. I think we could go down to 10 or 12 while maintaining consistent techability. At the same time reducing the new early tech punishment window so if you have accidently pressed shield 40 frames from the ground for non teching reasons(trying to AD) you aren't locked into missing the tech. 40 frames is a 2/3rds of a second which can be a quite a way up from the ground depending on how far you are traveling.

Ulevo

Smash Master
At the same time reducing the new early tech punishment window so if you have accidently pressed shield 40 frames from the ground for non teching reasons(trying to AD) you aren't locked into missing the tech. 40 frames is a 2/3rds of a second which can be a quite a way up from the ground depending on how far you are traveling.
Just to point this out, the No Air Dodge In Tumble code fixes this problem.

D

Deleted member

have been away for some time, has there been any major stuff after beta 3.2?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
PLEASE NOTE THAT I ONLY SUPPORT THIS CODE IF WE HAVE CODESPACE FOR IT, AND CODESPACE FOR NECESSARY DEFENSIVE BUFFS IF NEEDED.

At the same time that you add depth, you also want the game to be approachable. This is a mechanic which a large portion of new members (read: players who are competitive now but weren't in melee, a LARGE scene which we are hoping to attract) will not be attracted too. Notice how everyone's first reaction to it is: disgust.
The same could be said for no auto sweetspot ledges, and hitstun, and lower buffer (especially lower buffer). Every physics change that we made was a major change, and most of them were negatively received at first (I know that when my brawl friends first tried brawl+, they hated it because they couldn't attack me out of my combos, or drop their shield and f-smash me after shielding my aerials). I really don't see how this is any different.
You can add the ultimate depth with the up b down a up down left right b start combos, but depth alone does not make a game good.
That's only depth if it does something that isn't already done. But that also seems fairly easy to do.
The appropriate balance between playability AND depth on the other hand does.
Tell that to Guilty Gear.
Its not hard to time a wiggle when you know you've exited a combo, but when your a large character in the mix of getting juggled to death and then your usually forced to jump out and AD (which when we discussed in our chat room how easily punishable that is), I don't think thats adding depth or playability.
Why are you forced to jump out?! You're not forced to do anything. You choose to jump out because you don't know if it's a combo or not, because you don't know when you're not in hitstun, which was exactly my point. For if you know that you're not in hitstun, then you know when you should be wiggling out, you're just not doing it, which means that you're contradicting the purpose of this code (these things only apply assuming that everyone can...do it. Even if they have to practice, they still have to actually apply these principles)
As I said before, I think its an ambitious goal, but I don't think its the right one. A large portion of the cast already breaks a string with an aerial, but not all the cast can do that. Why should we make their lives harder?
How about because mashing airdodge mindlessly should not be a guaranteed way to minimize damage? Airdodging gives you full control over your momentum (you can drift forward or back), and you get closer to the ground. Is that not the best thing you could ask for? Even if you're airdodge gets predicted, you're better of than the other scenario (get hit right after exiting hitstun), which is my biggest gripe with the system. Where's my reward for predicting you? I predict your airdodge and I get....a forward air, since you used that airdodge to drift to far for my uair to connect, even though I knew exactly what you were doing.
You can say these characters can do this to escape it and that to escape it, but now they've given up their second jump and entered an air dodge and are still in a risky sitatuion.
Or you time the wiggle since you know it's not a combo.
This is my main problem with the code. Every character had an equal option to exit hitstun. It was in-discriminatory; that is, an option of equal benefit was presented to the entire cast, a rare sight indeed.
It is still in-discriminatory. It is still an option. It just takes some actual timing now (*gasp, there's prediction involved now?!?)

However, even with this option there, the depth is already there. Combos can already be strung together. Zoning and mindgames still persist in vertical transitions (its not too hard to anticipate an air dodge).
It's not hard to anticipate airdodge, but the reward you get for predicting the airdodge is less than hitting them after the string, so it's still a better situation for them. The vertical transition turns onto a horizontal transition, most of which cannot be combo'd from and also don't kill the opponent.
Also Dark, this is one thing which still has yet to be answered by anyone to my knowledge (or at least explicitly besides saying omgdepth, and I feel this is super important). Why does the punishment system/offense need to be buffed further? Furthermore, why does this need to be buffed further where it will explicitly benefit characters with faster air mobility and capability to string attacks?
At this point, most strings are strictly done close to the ground, most punishing whiffed attacks. Punishing an airdodge is typically the end of that string, because it sends them too far to follow up, which in turn makes airdodging the ultimate defensive option (better than all the others for most characters). This is about the risk/reward system, because the risk for having your airdodge predicted is actually less than the risk of not airdodging at all, which in my eyes is a serious flaw. To that end, it's effect on balance is a small problem (with the appropriate buffs to those who need it of course), because it goes against the principle that tumbling is nota neutral state, and that a predicted action should be worse than no action.
But think of playing bowser in this picture vs a fox. Who is going to benefit more from this code? Now think of MK vs ganondorf. Or MK vs Falcon? The list goes on. Are we targeting the right characters by adding this code or making the disparity even worse?
None of these are a problem when you do what you're supposed to do! I play Marth in melee, I know what getting juggled with no defense below me is like (and back then I couldn't even airdodge anyway). Fox players know what it's like to get juggled by me too! I also know that brawl has answers to these that are still applicable even after the inclusion of this code. The difference is that they're only applicable if you know what your opponent is going to do, which seems perfectly fair considering that your opponent purposefully put you in that position with the intent of limiting your options. They put you in that spot so that they could go for a mixup between strings and true combos...but mashing airdodge dramatically reduces the effectiveness of the former.

The mixup should only exist when it is possible to do a true combo or a string. If they are only able to do a string from that position, then obviously you'll just wiggle and time your airdodge. It takes practice but it is more than doable and does not take away your options. All it requires is that the person being combo'd has to actually think about whether it's a combo or a string and act accordingly. Yes it is a buff to offense, but not in the sense that you're taking it. You're taking it to mean that jugglers can now juggle characters 100% of the time because they can't airdodge (which is flat out untrue). I'm taking it to mean that mixups between strings and combos actually work, because now your opponent has to guess between the two (but only if both are possible). For this...both players have to have knowledge of the character's combos. To escape your strings, your opponent has to know what your combo options are (and if you have any and how reliable they are in that situation). That's just a part of matchup knowledge.
Its easy to theorycraft why this can be so ideal for depth. Its also easy to theorycraft why this is going to amplify any disparities within the character tiers. Its not exclusive. As much as this code adds, it also takes away. Think economically, cost vs benefits. In my opinion, our system now is fantastic. Do I think its worth upsetting the balance to have this (well what you would call it at least) marginal benefit? The fact that you aren't acknowledging these weaknesses is worries me as well.
I acknowledge these weaknesses, I just believe that the benefits outweigh them (cost vs benefits).

To reiterate, it is a buff to offense, but only in the sense that it punishes players who spam generic escapes when they don't know what they're getting hit by. When you predict a spotdodge or a roll, you get quite a large reward because of 2 things. You know how much invincibility it has and most importantly you're 100% sure where it ends, even before they actually do it. They have predefined distances that can be quickly measured with your eyes. Airdodges are much more powerful, because they take away from the certainty of that aspect. An at the end of an airdodge, the opponent can be anywhere along a large arc, making it far less punishable than the other defensive options (since you have to react to the direction that the opponent drifts during the airdodge, meaning you have less time to position yourself, meaning that you're limited to using quick moves for punishment and only in 1 or 2 directions). Giving them this option directly out of hitstun just makes strings as a whole very ineffective, making the match devolve to just some guaranteed combos and only pulling strings when you want to link kill moves (at least when it comes to the air game).

We can buff defense by other means, but airdodging directly out of hitstun just discourages creativity when preforming combos, because anything that is not a true combo will just be airdodged out of, and the punishment for predicting that airdodge is often not enough to keep your combo going.

DS, you say that AD was the best option regardless of whether it was predicted, but I disagree. If your AD is predicted, you will get hit in the cooldown. If your AD is not predicted, you will not get hit. How, then, is getting hit (predicted) the same as not getting hit? You can make your AD unpredictable through delayed timing, but your opponent can catch on and still punish. You can then start to AD immediately to continue the mixup, and your opponent will adjust. If they think you will delay, you can start to aerial, not only avoid the hit, but also turn the situation in your favor. Here is the current mixup between AD (less risk, less reward) and attacking (bigger risk, bigger reward). There is depth without this code.
You missed the point entirely. My point was that being hit after your airdodge was always better than being hit directly after you exited hitstun, because during the airdodge your position changes dramatically (that positional change is also completely under your control). So even when I predict your airdodge perfectly, it is still a better situation than before...which frankly doesn't make sense to me (I predicted you but I get a lesser reward than before?)
It seems to me like your strongest point is that to wiggle AD you must sacrifice your DI and thus jeopardize your chance of escape. Yet you continue on to make the point that you can simply flick the stick, and that you shouldn't be wiggling anyway. How, then, can you not just flick in the same direction you were DIing anyway and AD as well? This proves that the extra stick input is ultimately ineffective in changing your options in the air. If it is as quick and simply as a flick, I hold that it cannot have a significant enough effect on DI as to ruin it.
Oh, but I see it quite differently. The flick to escape implies that you know when the hitstun has ended. For if you didn't know that you were out of hitstun, then how would you time that flick (especially in strings that only have a 2-3 frame window of escape)? On the other hand, if you don't know when the hitstun ends, then it seems that you'd just be flicking the control stick back and forth hoping that it just happens to make you wiggle out, but if that hit happens to be a real combo....then what did that frantic wiggling just do to you?
To summarize, I believe that NAT adds no extra depth that wasn't present already, yet possibly adds a layer of control that is necessary to allow the option to tech where one would usually AD. If the later is true, it is the only selling point of NAT worth looking into. Regardless, I'll be testing the code to arrive at a concrete stance myself.
People kept dismissing that even though that's the first thing that we pointed out with the code.:(

V-K

Smash Ace
but I swear the cpus copy your moves or something. cpu falcos arnt supposed to sh laser to fsmash, then when it killed me it walked to the ledge and crouch taunts twice........wtf
lol agreed.
Wolf CPUs aren´t supposed to edgeguard with down B because in the real game there is no auto sweetspot.

@paprika killer
Yay, can you port air momentum code?

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I'm working on recompiling GeckoOS to support more lines of code. I already implemented it but there's something wrong with either my compiler or the libraries because even when successfully compiling the untouched GeckoOS code it gets problems. Basically, I'm going to make GeckoOS read a gcV file (V stands for values) and inject them somewhere in the memory. So all that spaced being used up by the constants will be freed up and lines will just be code.

So worry not about line usage. As long as I can get this stupid compiler worker it'll be easy as pie. I think going to try an Ubuntu LiveCD and see if it compiles better in Linux.

GPDP

Smash Ace
I'm working on recompiling GeckoOS to support more lines of code. I already implemented it but there's something wrong with either my compiler or the libraries because even when successfully compiling the untouched GeckoOS code it gets problems. Basically, I'm going to make GeckoOS read a gcV file (V stands for values) and inject them somewhere in the memory. So all that spaced being used up by the constants will be freed up and lines will just be code.

So worry not about line usage. As long as I can get this stupid compiler worker it'll be easy as pie. I think going to try an Ubuntu LiveCD and see if it compiles better in Linux.
You are a god.

Kupo better add you to the significant contributions column after this.

Ulevo

Smash Master

You are currently my favorite person right now. I can't express my gratitude enough without being sexually overwhelming, so I will just let a simple "thank you ShortFuse" suffice. :bee:

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Let's just see if I can get it to recompile untouched first, then I'll add GCV support (Almas and I already kinda decided on where in the memory). Then maybe I'll add a file selector so you can try different things. That wouldn't be as hard. What would be difficult would be a code modifier since the GCT files don't have descriptions in them.

But my .b+ file format does and maybe I can finally do away with the pesky ocarina txt files! :)

Warning! Plug Approaching!

Code:
Tripping Rate Modifier
[KirbyIsCool, spunit262]
04B883E0 XXXXXXXX
It's easy!!! SEE!
LINE
DESCRIPTION
DEFAULTVALUE
CODE

And on that note,

WARNING! Plug Approaching!

my Brawl+ Tweaker v006 is out
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222151

shanus

Smash Hero
PLEASE NOTE THAT I ONLY SUPPORT THIS CODE IF WE HAVE CODESPACE FOR IT, AND CODESPACE FOR NECESSARY DEFENSIVE BUFFS IF NEEDED.

The same could be said for no auto sweetspot ledges, and hitstun, and lower buffer (especially lower buffer). Every physics change that we made was a major change, and most of them were negatively received at first (I know that when my brawl friends first tried brawl+, they hated it because they couldn't attack me out of my combos, or drop their shield and f-smash me after shielding my aerials). I really don't see how this is any different.
That's only depth if it does something that isn't already done. But that also seems fairly easy to do.
Tell that to Guilty Gear.
Why are you forced to jump out?! You're not forced to do anything. You choose to jump out because you don't know if it's a combo or not, because you don't know when you're not in hitstun, which was exactly my point. For if you know that you're not in hitstun, then you know when you should be wiggling out, you're just not doing it, which means that you're contradicting the purpose of this code (these things only apply assuming that everyone can...do it. Even if they have to practice, they still have to actually apply these principles)

How about because mashing airdodge mindlessly should not be a guaranteed way to minimize damage? Airdodging gives you full control over your momentum (you can drift forward or back), and you get closer to the ground. Is that not the best thing you could ask for? Even if you're airdodge gets predicted, you're better of than the other scenario (get hit right after exiting hitstun), which is my biggest gripe with the system. Where's my reward for predicting you? I predict your airdodge and I get....a forward air, since you used that airdodge to drift to far for my uair to connect, even though I knew exactly what you were doing.
Or you time the wiggle since you know it's not a combo.
It is still in-discriminatory. It is still an option. It just takes some actual timing now (*gasp, there's prediction involved now?!?)

As you mentioned previously in our back room discussion, being frame perfect with wiggles is not practical. In fact, you said even the best players fail to be within a 3 frame window of being frame perfect and that even silent wolf isn't frame perfect. As such, for heavier chars, if they need an instant option, jumping/attacking is their only bufferable/instant option. This is why I used it as an example. They might have exited hitstun and have a 2 frame open window before the opponent can uair them again. They might try to wiggle and AD out, but according to your previous argument, that isn't consistently feasible. So wait, how is this in-discriminatory? You have characters with strong feasible buffer exits, and others that do not? I know they are going to uair me again, but now I only have these two options. I'm predicting them, just as they need to predict my air dodge. This is why its an imperfect system. You can say, why don't I get more for predicting them, but why don't I get more for knowing that I can exit a huge combo. In fact, 70-80% combos still exist. Why do we need to make them even longer?

It's not hard to anticipate airdodge, but the reward you get for predicting the airdodge is less than hitting them after the string, so it's still a better situation for them. The vertical transition turns onto a horizontal transition, most of which cannot be combo'd from and also don't kill the opponent.

Why is this a bad thing? You just put on say 75% on me but failed to kill me due to the DI that I performed. I see that your going for the kill move or to try and keep going. I air dodge, as you know and claimed, is the best option for many characters. You see it coming, since you say its easy, and hit me again. **** I'm at 90% now and still working on recovering. Your advantage is still way higher here. So now this is your logic. You hit me in that 75% and I exit the combo. Air dodge is still my best defensive option. I now need to focus on the exact frame i exit hitstun, wiggle, AD and am in the exact same situation. But wait, I can't be frame perfect. Now I get fwomped in the face if I'm a big slow character. Why is this any better? AD is clearly still the best option, but now I can't buffer it.

At this point, most strings are strictly done close to the ground, most punishing whiffed attacks. Punishing an airdodge is typically the end of that string, because it sends them too far to follow up, which in turn makes airdodging the ultimate defensive option (better than all the others for most characters). This is about the risk/reward system, because the risk for having your airdodge predicted is actually less than the risk of not airdodging at all, which in my eyes is a serious flaw. To that end, it's effect on balance is a small problem (with the appropriate buffs to those who need it of course), because it goes against the principle that tumbling is nota neutral state, and that a predicted action should be worse than no action.

None of these are a problem when you do what you're supposed to do! I play Marth in melee, I know what getting juggled with no defense below me is like (and back then I couldn't even airdodge anyway). Fox players know what it's like to get juggled by me too! I also know that brawl has answers to these that are still applicable even after the inclusion of this code. The difference is that they're only applicable if you know what your opponent is going to do, which seems perfectly fair considering that your opponent purposefully put you in that position with the intent of limiting your options. They put you in that spot so that they could go for a mixup between strings and true combos...but mashing airdodge dramatically reduces the effectiveness of the former.

You said they go for the mix–up. It is easy to go for the mix up. I'm fox, I uair you, you expect a follow up uair and start your air dodge. I do my fair which has a nice length and vertically neutral and knock you even higher for it. There's an effective mix–up. And look, I'm still at a vertical advantage. If i know what the opponent is going to do and exit hitstun, I SHOULD be able to act on it. But as you said before, and I reiterate, I cannot act equally across the cast. If I'm bowser, my best option is to wiggle AD. I can't aerial. I can try and jump it but will likely fail. This combo string still exists with or without your code. Your code adds nothing but an attempted roadblock at the same reason.

The mixup should only exist when it is possible to do a true combo or a string. If they are only able to do a string from that position, then obviously you'll just wiggle and time your airdodge. It takes practice but it is more than doable and does not take away your options. All it requires is that the person being combo'd has to actually think about whether it's a combo or a string and act accordingly. Yes it is a buff to offense, but not in the sense that you're taking it. You're taking it to mean that jugglers can now juggle characters 100% of the time because they can't airdodge (which is flat out untrue).

No i'm not. I'm saying it hurts their ability to exit juggles as often as they can now. Even if this only made them get stuck in 1 more juggle than they did before, it is still a nerf to a portion of the cast which is severely biased. However, you know as much as I know, that its going to be a lot more than just 1 juggle. Otherwise, this code would serve no purpose.

I'm taking it to mean that mixups between strings and combos actually work, because now your opponent has to guess between the two (but only if both are possible). For this...both players have to have knowledge of the character's combos. To escape your strings, your opponent has to know what your combo options are (and if you have any and how reliable they are in that situation). That's just a part of matchup knowledge.
I acknowledge these weaknesses, I just believe that the benefits outweigh them (cost vs benefits).

I'm glad you see them. I see some benefits as well, but I truly think the costs are greater than you acknowledge. If I'm going to play bowser, I'm going to need to work on perfecting my wiggle to AD for so many combos. Additionally, if you try to lower hitstun more, if I do improve my ability to do to near frame perfect, won't this make the situation even worse?

To reiterate, it is a buff to offense, but only in the sense that it punishes players who spam generic escapes when they don't know what they're getting hit by. When you predict a spotdodge or a roll, you get quite a large reward because of 2 things. You know how much invincibility it has and most importantly you're 100% sure where it ends, even before they actually do it. They have predefined distances that can be quickly measured with your eyes. Airdodges are much more powerful, because they take away from the certainty of that aspect. An at the end of an airdodge, the opponent can be anywhere along a large arc, making it far less punishable than the other defensive options (since you have to react to the direction that the opponent drifts during the airdodge, meaning you have less time to position yourself, meaning that you're limited to using quick moves for punishment and only in 1 or 2 directions).

You as an offensive player should know where their air dodge will end. That takes practice too and match–up experience too, doesn't it?

Giving them this option directly out of hitstun just makes strings as a whole very ineffective, making the match devolve to just some guaranteed combos and only pulling strings when you want to link kill moves (at least when it comes to the air game).

We can buff defense by other means, but airdodging directly out of hitstun just discourages creativity when preforming combos, because anything that is not a true combo will just be airdodged out of, and the punishment for predicting that airdodge is often not enough to keep your combo going.

Doesn't stop my creativity and approaches. If anything, it makes me consider more options as to how to counteract their Air dodge. instead, I fell this code makes strings more effective at reinforcing the current combos they have now and lengthening them.
I still fail at multiquote, so read the red again.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
@DarkSonic
Ok, I see the point more clearly now, but it took a DarkSonic WoT to beat it into me. I also agree that it is not a critical code, but would be beneficial. It also still carries inherent problems with acceptance, but that can be said of any fundamental change to the game, whether it benefits or not. BTW I didn't read the most recent posts, just the last one addressed to me (no time atm)

spunit262

Smash Journeyman
New Frame Speed Mod Engine can differentiate between aerials and throws.

Frame Speed Mod Engine V3.1 [spunit262, Phantom Wings]
C2766C20 00000012
3C008180 807D0008
8063FFFC 7C030000
4080000C 80630030
48000008 386000FF
809D0014 C0240040
FC40081E 81240058
61298000 D8410008
8001000C 80BD007C
80A50038 38C200D8
84E60008 2C070000
41820038 7CE8C671
41A0000C 7C081800
4082FFE8 54E8863E
7C004000 41A0FFDC
54E8043E 7C082800
4182000C 7C084800
4082FFC8 C0060004
D01F0010 00000000
C2766FB8 00000003
2C1D0001 4182000C
C0230010 48000008
C02283C8 00000000

The format for data has be slightly altered.
0ZZZ is the action id
8ZZZ is the animation id

Code:
Animation Ids
000 stand
001 start walk?
002 idel anmation

00E run?

014 jump start
015 Full hop
016 short hop

020 fall

026 fall disabled

02A Enter Crouch
02B Crouch

031 AC-land???
032 Land
033 Land Dissabled

048 jab

062 Nair
063 Fair
0[LIST=1]
[/LIST]64 Bair
065 Uair
066 Dair
067 Nair lag
068 Fair lag
069 Bair lag
06A Uair lag
06B Dair lag
06C: Grab
06D
06F: Grabbing Enemy
070: Grab Attack
071: Release
072: B-throw
073:
074: U-throw
075: D-throw
076: B-throwed?
077:
078:
079: D-throwed?

07E:
07F:
080:
081: Grabed
082: Held
083: Held Damage

96:

0A3: Thrown-B???

0A7: -UThrown???

0AA: Hitstun
0AB: Hit ground

0CD: Fall though platform
0CE:

1CE: N-special
1CF: N-special 2
1D0: N-special 3
1D1: N-special 4?
1D2: S-special

1D8: U-special

1DC: D-special
1D2: D-special 2
For hacker: set a execute breakpoint on 80720F08 to find more animation ids.

edit: small fix.

Finns7

Smash Ace
First of all im not for lowering hitstun, I actually would raise it slightly.

When I played with ADT I had a bad experience with it from the get go. Its a very foreign code that may cost us brawl+ers...Dark Peach thinks its the hitstun that causes our problems but it was the ADT, our problems were mostly from online prob. I still dont see a point. This code doest better the cast as a whole, it will prob lead to char imbalance. I say we bump hitstun to 8.75 or in between 8.5 and 8.75. Im still going to try ADT offline today though.

shanus

Smash Hero
New Frame Speed Mod Engine can differentiate between aerials and throws.

Frame Speed Mod Engine V3.1 [spunit262, Phantom Wings]
C2766C20 00000012
3C008180 807D0008
8063FFFC 7C030000
4080000C 80630030
48000008 386000FF
809D0014 C0240040
FC40081E 81240058
61298000 D8410008
8001000C 80BD007C
80A50038 38C200D8
84E60008 2C070000
41820038 7CE8C671
41A0000C 7C081800
4082FFE8 54E8863E
7C004000 41A0FFDC
54E8043E 7C082800
4182000C 7C084800
4082FFC8 C0060004
D01F0010 00000000
C2766FB8 00000003
2C1D0001 4182000C
C0230010 48000008
C02283C8 00000000

The format for data has be slightly altered.
0ZZZ is the action id
8ZZZ is the animation id

Code:
Animation Ids
000 stand
001 start walk?
002 idel anmation

00E run?

014 jump start
015 Full hop
016 short hop

020 fall

026 fall disabled

02A Enter Crouch
02B Crouch

031 AC-land???
032 Land
033 Land Dissabled

048 jab

062 Nair
063 Fair
0[LIST=1]
[/LIST]64 Bair
065 Uair
066 Dair
067 Nair lag
068 Fair lag
069 Bair lag
06A Uair lag
06B Dair lag
06C: Grab
06D
06F: Grabbing Enemy
070: Grab Attack
071: Release
072: B-throw
073:
074: U-throw
075: D-throw
076: B-throwed?
077:
078:
079: D-throwed?

07E:
07F:
080:
081: Grabed
082: Held
083: Held Damage

96:

0A3: Thrown-B???

0A7: -UThrown???

0AA: Hitstun
0AB: Hit ground

0CD: Fall though platform
0CE:

1CE: N-special
1CF: N-special 2
1D0: N-special 3
1D1: N-special 4?
1D2: S-special

1D8: U-special

1DC: D-special
1D2: D-special 2
For hacker: set a execute breakpoint on 80720F08 to find more animation ids.

edit: small fix.
Wow, very nice work.

So, the action ID format data is similar, but for animation IDs you set it to 8ZZZ instead?

GPDP

Smash Ace
Any chance you wanna take a break from the hard codes and look into 64-style taunt-canceling, spunit?

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
To people who like no ad in tumble: learn to tech!

Seriously...I've read the entire argument and all the pro-NAT guys are saying is that there is no difference, it punishes people that like to airdodge (which isn't necessarily a good thing), and that if you screw up the timing of a tech, you dont accidentally ad.

This is not a major change. It has no inherent benefit. It does nothing that you couldn't already do. All it does is make the timing for teching more leneint and the timing for ad'ing more difficult, as a one-button maneuver now requires two motions. And to the people that are saying that this code should be added because airdodging is too powerful, create a code to remove short hop airdodges, because you're approaching me and you're invincible and OH NO! even though I predicted your dodge you have two frames of landing lag and can beat my grab out with a jab.

If airdodging is too good, go put MAD back in. Ban airdodging. Make a code that makes it a viable strat and not a broken one because airdodging shouldn't be invincible, it should have vulnerability frames at the end that...

See where I'm going with this? The logic behind this code is ridiculous. Airdodging out of combos is too good, so we'll add an unnecessary function that does nothing but lengthen hitstun for a few frames while you wiggle. I don't know how to time a tech, so we'll make it easier to do that instead. I want my string to be un-airdodge-able, so I can have even longer combos!

For the record, I like having the option to either airdodge or tech while in tumble. And yes, even in vBrawl, I could regularly tech while in tumble. This code allows me to do one or the other, but takes away my option to pick.

The Bottom Line: No Airdodge in Tumble does not change the game. It doesn't add a mechanic. It merely takes away from one that doesn't need to be taken away from, solely because of personal preference. The burden of proof is on the people who want to add the code, not the ones who want the game to be left alone. Explain to me why this code is so great. Until then, it stays off my codeset.

5ive

Smash Champion
Kupo, remember me?
I was here way back at the release of Brawl+, and I have decided to make a return to help contribute again.
I tried the new rule set, it's epic. Makes me tear at the advancing of Brawl +.

Sooo Kupo, what's up?

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
Explain to me why this code is so great. Until then, it stays off my codeset.
I pretty much held your viewpoint on the code until today. It's not critical by any means, but by included this code in conjunction with lowered hitstun, you do add a dynamic to the combo game that wasn't there.

Put simply, it causes AD to sacrifice correct DI, and the other way around. To compensate for the buffed offense, you must lower hitstun to balance defense. The result is an extra layer of yomi that will create the opportunity for more unorthodox combos while not arbitrarily extending them.

In other words, if done right, it extends the dynamic range of combos in both directions while maintaining the average. I'd like see some match vids that show this in practice, but sadly that's hardly ever the case :ohwell:

kupo15

Smash Hero
I pretty much held your viewpoint on the code until today. It's not critical by any means, but by included this code in conjunction with lowered hitstun, you do add a dynamic to the combo game that wasn't there.
When shortfuse and almas finish the modded gecko, we will have room for this :bee::bee:
In other words, if done right, it extends the dynamic range of combos in both directions while maintaining the average. I'd like see some match vids that show this in practice, but sadly that's hardly ever the case :ohwell:
Don't worry, my vids will show this :bee:

shanus

Smash Hero

Put simply, it causes AD to sacrifice correct DI, and the other way around. To compensate for the buffed offense, you must lower hitstun to balance defense. The result is an extra layer of yomi that will create the opportunity for more unorthodox combos while not arbitrarily extending them.

lol lower hitstun. lol time to make a video of me breaking so many true combos with this.

we are practically at the exact threshhold hitstun allows for linking combos at .484. I'm willing to bet at .482 or .48 you can AD a sonic uthrow to uair. Telling you right now, this code isn't going to go you this effect whatsoever.

kupo15

Smash Hero
lol lower hitstun. lol time to make a video of me breaking so many true combos with this.
I feel there are too many true combos that are too easy to do. I play with .48 and things seem fine to me. I should be getting a lot of play testing this weekend with G and MasterRaichu
we are practically at the exact threshhold hitstun allows for linking combos at .484. I'm willing to bet at .482 or .48 you can AD a sonic uthrow to uair.
I don't think this to be true
Telling you right now, this code isn't going to go you this effect whatsoever.
Is this english? :p

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

Yes there will be less true combos, but those that remain will be used in conjunction with strings, which could be quite interesting if done right.

We'd have to be very careful with how much we lowered hitstun though. Lower it too much and there aren't enough true combos to support any mixups. Lower it too little and you get the scenerio that you keep describing. Perhaps the reason it doesn't appear to be a problem to me is because I already play on 8.5 hitstun, while you're still on 8.65? After all, that is a couple frames difference, and that couple of frames could be what's making it so hard for you to airdodge out of easily escapable strings when you're playing with the code.
we are practically at the exact threshhold hitstun allows for linking combos at .484. I'm willing to bet at .482 or .48 you can AD a sonic uthrow to uair. Telling you right now, this code isn't going to go you this effect whatsoever.
I don't remember what the numbers are in decimal, but I play at 8.5% and Sonic can still upthrow uair (he cannot upthrow backair at most percents if they DI, but at certain percents it works regardless)

shanus

Smash Hero
I feel there are too many true combos that are too easy to do. I play with .48 and things seem fine to me. I should be getting a lot of play testing this weekend with G and MasterRaichu
Lol too many true combos? Have fun playing vanilla Brawl. sonic uthrow to uair is like bread and butter. its like falcon downthrow to nair or uair. I'm willing to bet I can even AD out of those too.

Darksonic, I went from .484 with the no AD tumble code on to this after I removed it. I also said repeatedly in early posts, i tried this code out at .48 and .484. I'd like to see your vids of you guys playing with this and how its so much better. So far Cape and I both agree how terrible this code is and how lowering hitstun is gonna be so epicly bad for this.

Maybe tomorrow I'll make a vid at .48 of me AD'ing out of all these with code on just to make a point. Considering how Lord Karn could do it at .484, it should be trivial at .48.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Lol too many true combos? Have fun playing vanilla Brawl. .
I believe the sentence went like this :
I think there are too many true combos that are easy to do
Maybe I was just imagining that last part. Not sure though...
Darksonic, I went from .484 with the no AD tumble code on to this after I removed it. I also said repeatedly in early posts, i tried this code out at .48 and .484. I'd like to see your vids of you guys playing with this and how its so much better. So far Cape and I both agree how terrible this code is and how lowering hitstun is gonna be so epicly bad for this.
I'll be making some vids. .48, tumble codes. Your also forgetting one major part of the puzzle, the kb code. That should do nicely to tighten things up

Dark sonic, you are at .485

shanus

Smash Hero
I believe the sentence went like this :

Maybe I was just imagining that last part. Not sure though...

I'll be making some vids. .48, tumble codes. Your also forgetting one major part of the puzzle, the kb code. That should do nicely to tighten things up

Dark sonic, you are at .485
So wait a second here. You are lowering hitstun, but lowering the knockback to compensate for it because true combos are too easy?

GPDP

Smash Ace
I managed to induce a trip using the one line trip code. I was using Falcon on FD, and I was just running around the stage. I got to the left ledge, tried to turn around (outside the dash dance window IIRC), and I somehow tripped. I haven't done it again since, but it was strange.

shanus

Smash Hero
1 liner trips

New frame speed code tried to manage downthrow animation on pikachu, (tried uthrow too), changed speed to .25, .5, .75, none of them seemed to do anything,

kupo15

Smash Hero
So wait a second here. You are lowering hitstun, but lowering the knockback to compensate for it because true combos are too easy?

And I forgot to mention that what I meant to say was, that these true combos set up for good comboing via other moves that I feel have too much hitstun on their own. So if we lower hitstun the kb of some moves, the true combos will still be there yes, but the follow ups won't be as easy which I feel is the main problem with that high of hitstun. Might have helped if I typed that better.

Top Bottom