• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

DrewB008

Smash Lord
a whole bunch of stuff happened but i'll throw some stuff in here

falcon is a defensive character, no matter what it looks like people are doing. his only reliable strategies against really good people are punishing them for making mistakes by baiting and outspacing them

i started using raptor boost to tech chase for the sole purpose of not having to worry about spacing, i got sick of predicting right but just plain missing with my knee or stomp. it also covers most options like people said

marth up tilting your shield, roll away is cool but another trick you can do is full jump out, riskier and requires timing but you cant just do the same thing every time. also you can come down with a stomp if they do an utilt while youre up there

dont approach sheik unless for some reason she jumps way up in the air, which they might do, lots of people dont understand how to fight falcon so you will have opportunities to do things like run up and uair under them when they try to jump and needle or something. eventually people you'll wanna beat wont let you do this, but dont let these opportunities pass you by while theyre available

Hax

Smash Champion
that is very much why raptor boosht is broken, magus

ayaz - revival of melee did the trick man.. holy f*** that tourney was amazing.. im done with brawl dude, get in on this ****.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
that is very much why raptor boosht is broken, magus

ayaz - revival of melee did the trick man.. holy f*** that tourney was amazing.. im done with brawl dude, get in on this ****.
yeah I know and heard bro

I really wanna leave the Brawl scene, cause it's just not that fun...........at least super competitively. I can chill with Brawl all the time though.......I just need a blunt first :D

demodemo

Smash Ace
i hear you ayaz, i ditched brawl for melee too

i'm pretty sure most pros who play barlw will eventually get bored, and continue to play it for the money. if you want fun get on the melee wagon

i thought i was too late. hell i started in january, but with so many videos to watch, so many pros to ask, you get good a lot faster than you think. i swear every day i play melee something new happens, like today i daird ganon off stage, he meteor cancels it, but then i dj and knee him out of his up b for the kill. it was ****ing fantastic LOL. and a couple of days before, i was edgeguarding and did bair>reverse knee. goood times

edit- yeah about falcons defensive options, i tried using nair today, works pretty well, but in all honesty i prefer just running away. good thing falcon has a bad defense game, the less brawl the better LOL

outRAGEous

Smash Journeyman
remember those red ribbons you use to get in school that said, 'I like me drug free' i used to cut that up and rearrange it so it said 'I like free drug'

how about upair to dair combo? always char. specific.

pro? too pro?

Scar

#HarveyDent
so in the end they have 2 options: tech towards you or other.
if they tech towards you all the time it's really easy to do like dthrow run forward a little then fB in the opposite direction, it will usually catch tech in place
Also Scar, I have a problem with my L-Cancels, I do them at the right time, but hold my shield for a split second. Anyway to get over this defensive playstyle?
1) play melee
2) tap L or R to l-cancel, don't press it all the way down

soap

Smash Hero
2) tap L or R to l-cancel, don't press it all the way down
I've actually seen people recommend this way because you don't lose your ability to tech for 20 frames every time you L cancel should you get hit.

But I hit it all the way down, fast and crispy. I can't break the habit.

Geist

Smash Master
I have a question, but I don't know if it's completely falcon specific.
Sometimes, while raptor boosting a person who's fallen to the ground (without techning), raptor boost pops them up with absolutely no hitstun, brawl style. They just float up, like they were in their falling animation.

I've known about this for a while, but it seems to be happening more and more, and I want to know if anyone has a specific reason for it.

Scar

#HarveyDent
that's a MAGUS question

kage dude i love your posts so much right now, you are like prob in my top 5 for best swf posters right now

Magus420

Smash Master
It's not like I've posted in and am subscribed to this thread and see the posts anyway...

Thank you for summoning me to this thread, oh great and incredible Scar. I will proceed to answer this question to the best of my ability.

It has to do with a special knockback animation you can go into when hit off the floor bounce after not teching where you lay back down and is very short. If it completes and you're still in the air you just go into the normal falling animation afterwards. If you land before it ends then you do a forced getup. It's why you immediately land on your feet after certain percents on stuff like Sheik's jab (happens earlier if you A/SDI up).

tubes

Smash Ace
I got a few questions about nairs. Lately I've been working on getting both kicks in with my nairs and I've found the easiest way to do it is to jump out of a dash with control stick in neutral position and nair with backwards di. Now that I'm actually able to pull this off consistently I've began to have trouble grabbing out of a nair sometimes when I do this. Are there situations where It'd be more beneficial not to use Backwards DI on my nairs and if so then when should I use it and when shouldn't I?

Also: I try to get my nairs out as soon as possible. But sometimes I'll input a nair and Falcon will jump but no nair will come out. Could it be possible that I'm pushing the buttons too fast?

Scar

#HarveyDent
Are there situations where It'd be more beneficial not to use Backwards DI on my nairs and if so then when should I use it and when shouldn't I?
The point is to hit with both hits of the nair, so backwards DI is useful when both kicks will hit and/or for spacing. In all other situations it's better to not use that DI and instead to use the DI that will make the nair hit.

The grabs should still be hitting the majority of the time even if you hit with the farthest point of the nair, work on your dash timing after you l-cancel.
Could it be possible that I'm pushing the buttons too fast?
Probable.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I didn't see any stage guide for falcon, so I figure I'll just ask.

What are some good counterpick stages against a samus after they ban yoshi's? I tried rainbow cruise to minimize the projectiles, but it didn't work out so well.

While we're on the samus topic, what are some way's to minimize the power of her nair?

Scar

#HarveyDent
her nair seems really overpowered at first but then you realize that the only reason it's hitting you is because you're jumping into it

a TON of samuses (not the good ones but there are only like 4 of those) have this as their general strategy: nair and hope the other person jumps into it

if they nair and don't hit you with it you can easily beat it with uair, which combos into anything including knee and she dies. nair should not be a problem.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
what the hell can i do about a **** peach player that i can 4 stock and every match he wins is for the **** downsmash and evertytime i get him outta ground he just floats away waiting that i come to grab me throw me down and downsmash? -_-

Thomaz

Smash Lord
How can I space the dropzone (that's what it's called right?) in a way that I'll survive. Mainly on Yoshi's story. I always end up flailing to my doom after using it. Should I DI back while kneeing them or is it about hitting the knee earlier so I still have time to jump?

Scar

#HarveyDent
yeah that's the only really important timing. no fastfalling at all, ever. i prefer to go out horizontally as far as possible before double jumping back, but i don't think it makes any difference, you can recover on yoshi's without any DI.

peach's dsmash is really gay but try to be more patient, don't jump into her if she's on a platform not shielding. dd camping is great but watch out for her dash attack, which you can shield and subsequently dthrow combo her for it.

if she misses a dsmash dair her. and if she's floating offstage the best thing to do is wait. other options include grabbing the ledge, especially if youre comfortable with doing a quick ledgehop bair towards her then DIing back and grabbing the ledge. also you could jump out above her and dair, which usually wont hit but her uair really doesn't pose a threat.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
hey scar another question here:

how the heck can i triple nair someone? they get back of me everytime i do it...
and how its supossed to do? dash to shorthop or wait till dash impulse wores off to shorthop -_-

metashinryu

Smash Ace
what i mean is if i should make him leave the impulse of dash by letting go analog stick before jumping or what?

and yeah i know it is safer to uair(or knee) after the first nair but it is to shut up my friend with something new: he says that i win cuz i always do the same thing :p

Scar

#HarveyDent
your english is preventing me from answering this question better but triple nairing is pretty straightforward, it's just a matter of your aerial DI

generally this is how it goes. short hop nair fastfall, l cancel, dash, short hop nair DI backwards fastfall, l cancel, dash, short hop nair fastfall.

tubes

Smash Ace
I've actually seen people recommend this way because you don't lose your ability to tech for 20 frames every time you L cancel should you get hit.

But I hit it all the way down, fast and crispy. I can't break the habit.
is this true? can someone confirm this? I can't tell you how many times I missed a tech because I was in the middle of an L-cancel.

Scar

#HarveyDent
no big deal metashinryu, was that helpful though? triple nairing really isn't that hard once you know what you're doing.

Top Bottom