• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur

Anop

Smash Apprentice
Well, ivysaur is my favourite character and i could say that yeah he/she is my main... But a lot of people underestimate him and say that is weak, the worst pokemon of the trainer, and more things.Well here i would like that u post positive things about ivy like he has the strongest up smash in the game or that his tether recovery can be great combined with razor leaf.Well this would be like a fan club too and can talk anything about ivysaur if you like!!

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
- Great spacing moves (back-air, f-tilt, d-tilt)
- Quicker ground game than you'd think(d-tilt comes out in 4 frames)
- Strongest up-smash
- Projectile you can camp with, and goes through other projectiles and statues in stages
- Long grab range
- One of the strongest up-airs
- Bullet seed for brokn damage
- Quick and long tether recovery, and strong up-b as an attack
- N-air as a quick and great combo starter

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
I must say that I don't play as PT often (in fact, only as a casual), but Ivysaur is my fave. Ever since the Dojo announced the PT and his three Pokes, I wanted to play Ivysaur the most. If he was only a little bit heavier though...

Anop

Smash Apprentice
hey guys look at this! its from smashwiki:
In the end, Ivysaur can best be described as a poor version of Olimar: both are great at racking up the damage close-in and at irritating at mid-long range, but Olimar has a way easier time landing kills with his superior (and almost-always disjointed) attack options, including better smashes, better aerials, and a better grab.
do you agree with this?? i don´t...

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
hey guys look at this! its from smashwiki:
In the end, Ivysaur can best be described as a poor version of Olimar: both are great at racking up the damage close-in and at irritating at mid-long range, but Olimar has a way easier time landing kills with his superior (and almost-always disjointed) attack options, including better smashes, better aerials, and a better grab.
do you agree with this?? i don´t...
Ivysaur < Olimar discussion... I can see the comarison, thats who she most plays like for me

She and he both excell at pouring on damage so quickly the opponent has to do a double take at his percent meter, and can both be annoying to hit mid raange (razor leaf and bair)

olimar has faster smashes that can have better knockback in some instances, better ariels for the most part, and he def. has a much better grab.

None of this seems heretical...

P.s. Ivy is THE reason I use PT...:p

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Ivysaur doesn't need to KO, all she needs to do is back-throw to down-b.

There is really no reason to compare one of Pokemon Trainer's "forms" (as in Ivysaur) to a whole character, since that form of PT can have some of its weaknesses covered by simply throwing your opponent away and using down-b.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
The smash wiki does indeed make a mistake by seeing Ivysaur as a character in its own right. It isn't, it's one of three, and in that light, it would make sense for it to be slightly weaker than Olimar.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Ivys Fair is better than i tought, the only problem is that if you spam it wont KO.. but for that we have charizard :D

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
- Quicker ground game than you'd think(d-tilt comes out in 4 frames)
So does Bullet Seed. Or was it 3?

- Long grab range
Looks longer then it is. Throws you off a lot at first which is annoying. Still long though.

- One of the strongest up-airs
It's the second strongest. Just behind Zelda's.

- Bullet seed for brokn damage
I love how people think of Bullet Seed. "Nah you can DI out it never does that much you only really get like 30-40%" Hehe I'm sorry I forgot how everyone has just tons of moves that do 30-40% damage that easily.;)

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
So does Bullet Seed. Or was it 3?

Looks longer then it is. Throws you off a lot at first which is annoying. Still long though.

It's the second strongest. Just behind Zelda's.

I love how people think of Bullet Seed. "Nah you can DI out it never does that much you only really get like 30-40%" Hehe I'm sorry I forgot how everyone has just tons of moves that do 30-40% damage that easily.;)
bullet seed is 4 frames on start up and is too good. any time someone is above you bullet seed should jump to your mind as an option.

Really people comment on her recovery calling it horrible... okay its not GOOD, but she can make sure she doesn't get gimped for the most part. I'm getting to the point with her where if my opponent gimps my ivysaur... then it's usually something I've done to cause it.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
bullet seed is 4 frames on start up and is too good. any time someone is above you bullet seed should jump to your mind as an option.
Frames 1-3 are invincible. :D

Also, His Usmash kills around 20% earlier than the second strongest Usmash. Consider the fact that if you landed it, it may even be charged partially, and god **** it's powerful.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Pretty much, I only use ivy to rack up damage with d-throw + bullet seed. From there, it's b-down to Charizard and FSmash >_>. But, yeah, I still love her... or him?

EDIT: This is really hard to figure out. If Ivy evolved, we'd know her gender -_-...

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
People consider Ivysaur as a female. I don't really know why myself, but I accept it how it is in the community. I think perhaps they say it's a she to just tell the diffrence between Charizard and Squirtle.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Ivy is most likely male as their ratio is 87.5% male to 12.5% female. I have no idea where the idea that it was a girl came from ivy shows no qualities of being female. Also in the manga reds ivysuar nicknamed "Saur" was a male.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Ivysaur is a girl?
Thats like saying Jigglypuff is a boy.

I have this completely backwards, huh? >_>

Darr06

Smash Cadet
Ivy's chubby thighs always led me to believe it was a girl... I'll probably forever think of ivy as a charming lady even though I know its a dude

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
if squirtle water gunned onto ivysaur's up smash...

would they make a baby?

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
That makes no sense, Of course Ivysaur would have kind of chubby looking legs since Ivysaur is a quadrupedal creature. XD

Eh, I agree with T-block. I think they have it where the Japanese SSBB has Ivysaur as a female while when translated in America, they made it into a male voice. In turn when they translate Ivysaur in text, japanese call it a 'she', and America, being rather blind as they are with subtitles, just literally translate the text.

I kind of agree though that Ivysaur is more ideal as a male. Kind of like how Chikorita and its evolution forms seem much more pertaining to a female gender. Then again, Japan was always a little iffy when it comes to genders of characters and the whole sexual idealism.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Then again, Japan was always a little iffy when it comes to genders of characters and the whole sexual idealism.
Agreed; look at some characters in some games: Ranmaru Mori and Zhang He in Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors (respectively), Xane in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (I thought he was a she lol), Marth (self-explanatory [the only guy that wears a tiara that will whoop your ***), and othuz...

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
Agreed; look at some characters in some games: Ranmaru Mori and Zhang He in Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors (respectively), Xane in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (I thought he was a she lol), Marth (self-explanatory [the only guy that wears a tiara that will whoop your ***), and othuz...
*Points at Avi*

Prim-o example. Even Pokemon has questions on it since Jesse is always the guy in diguise and James is the female (Heck, in the banned episode of Pokemon, James had boobs and a girl body in a sexy bikini). XD

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I chose squirt as my starter, but Ivy and Charz are pretty even. Though I still like playing with her 2nd most. Spot dodge Bullet seed is god, it rarely fails, not to mention if you want to rack up damage fast, do a short hop Nair and DI dawn then bullet seed. No lag, great results, gets opponent up to like 70% from 0% at that % ivy can work wonders.

Top Bottom