• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The gale boomerangs push/pull possibilities

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
The Gale Boomerangs pull/push possiblities

Gale Boomerang-5% or 7%-Start up-Medium/Slow-Lag-Almost none-Speed-Fast-Priority-Medium- Not much stuff on this either. Sometimes, a foes move can cancel the Gale Boomerang. (Mainly recovery moves) It can only do 7% when you're practically hugging your opponent and it can be thrown at a 35 degree upwards and downwards.

2 Boomerang ATs

I decided to expose you to the Gale Boomerang the earliest due to its easy to perform advanced techniques. Due to the fact that these ATs are not widely used among Link mains, there is a large possibility that you will catch your opponent off guard. You may not find yourself in too many situations when you need to use techniques like these, but I think these techniques are useful and accessible enough to be important.

Gale Guarding
Gale Guarding proves to be a useful technique against the heavier set of characters with bad recovery. This move has the potential to ruin any character whose recovery lacks horizontally, vertically, and in Link's case, both! This technique may appear to be useless against characters with better recovery, (Ike, Falco) but in these cases, Gale Guarding serves a different purpose.

Performing a Gale Guard/Uses- Gale Guarding may be somewhat difficult to perform, but well worth the effort. After you hit your enemy, run towards the edge and jump off, then use the Gale Boomerang at the ledge. If you performed this technique correctly, the boomerang should hit the side of the stage and travelled directly backwards. If you performed it incorrectly, it either didn't hit the ledge, you were unable to recover with a spin attack, or the boomerang didn't even leave your hands. This technique won't work if you're right next to the ledge, that's why you have to angle the analog stick a bit to the left while you jump. Remember to practice this technique so that you are able to recover to the ledge each time, or you'll die and your opponent will live. Once you're able to recover, try throwing the boomerang up and down, instead. You'll notice that when you throw it up, the boomerang travels down and vice versa. This happens because the game reads that the boomerang is hitting the ground, and therefore, should ricochet in the opposite direction. Throwing it at an angle increases the usefulness of this technique. If an enemy recovers behind you at about a 45 degree angle, Gale Guard upward so the boomerang will travel downwards and carry him/her away. Against heavy characters with bad recovery, use this technique to prevent them from getting to the ledge. Things get a little trickier when using this against foes with average recovery. Instead of using this technique to kill the opponent, you can use it to stall them momentarily. This technique obviously won't KO them every time, but it will push them a good distance away from the ledge, which will give you time to pull out a bomb or shoot an arrow. Remember though, if you miss, your opponent might have the option to punish you. Use your best judgment when using this technique on characters with good recovery. I advise you don't try it on any characters that have a 4 * rating or more. Gale Guarding under such conditions could do a lot more harm than good.

One of the biggest differences between brawl-Link and melee-Link is the push/pull abilities it has when it returns

this thread is for discussing what uses it may have.

usefull videos:
gale guarding at 0:48: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqM1fZ8tevQ
jab lock setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZxADIzXx3M
if you know about more vids like this let me know.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Here are a few possibilities:

-Gale Boomerang as an attack (Not Effective)

-Gale Boomerang pull --> D-Air (Situational, extremely effective)

-Gale Boomerang pull --> AA --> D/U Tilt (Effective, needs practice to execute)

-Gale Boomerang push --> Arrows OR Shorthop Arrows (Situational, effective)

-Gale Boomerang push as a knockback (Effective)

Some more advanced things you can do:

If the enemy is on the ground close to you, generate a bomb and toss it in the air, launch GB at him. When he gets up, and if he doesn't shield, it will pull him straight into the bomb. Before the bomb goes off on him, Jump quite aways above the bomb and preform a D-Air. If done correctly, the bomb will explode on him, sending him straight into the D-Air, doing 28-32% damage altogether, or 24-28% if the D-Air was not timed correctly. If the opponent was at 0%, the whole thing might do 42% damage if the second part of the D-Air hits. Keep in mind this is highly situational. Keep in mind you can use U-Air as another effective alternative, B-Air and F-Air not so much.

If you find yourself edgeguarding, generate a bomb and throw it downward towards the opponent. If you want to suicide, jump off, and facing the stage, launch a GB. That should put the guy under the stage, and unless he is ROB or MK or JIGGS or PIT he should be dead. Don't use when you're on your last life.

Use GB to pull an opponent inwards, then preform a D-Smash. If timed almost perfectly, he should run into both sides of the D-Smash, and take 30-44% damage.

My two cents.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
In all honesty, this should be part of the Move Discussion. The one that's currently focused on jabs and tilts.

Jesustl64

Smash Cadet
i use it to make me go faster i throw it and jump alittle so the wind pushes me and then do side A but it can also lightly push enemys back and kill them

ShadowCosmos

Smash Cadet
I agree with Anonano, on a side note (relating to the topic still) I don't believe the gale boomerang will speed you up unless it's reflected by someone.

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
In all honesty, this should be part of the Move Discussion. The one that's currently focused on jabs and tilts.
well, the pont of this was that im assuming when the boomerang is up for discussion there, it will only be up for a short while wich means if we figure out new things it'll be to late to post it there and discuss it.

Jack_Shadow

Smash Rookie
boomerang pull into down smash is always a winner if you can score both hits

question.. if link is hit through a returning boomerang will it slow him down?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
boomerang pull into down smash is always a winner if you can score both hits

question.. if link is hit through a returning boomerang will it slow him down?
I'm not really sure what you're asking here, so I'll answer all the versions of this question I can think of.
1) The opponent reflects the boomerang back at Link.
Link will be pushed backwards, but he takes no damage and recieves no hitstun or hitlag. This is why trying to use the boomerang to stall an edgeguarding opponent who has a reflector is dangerous; you will be pushed farther away from the stage, but will not get your UpB or jump back.
2) Link takes damage, but the boomerang returns to him from the opposite direction.
The answer is no. The gale pushback effect does not affect Link. Throwing your boomerang off the stage, then being hit by Marth's fsmash and then getting your boomerang to return will not save you.
If you were doing a team battle with Friendly Fire on, or doing a 1v1 match against another Link, they're boomerangs will almost entirely negate knockback (there is an exception where the person will merely change their knockback direction more vertically, and the boomerang will only minorly negate knockback).
3) Link grabs the boomerang as it returns to him.
Two factors generate into this: A) Link is doing an attack. B) Link is in the air. If Link is doing an attack, whether aerial or on the ground, the boomerang will be "caught" but there will be no catching animation. Link will finish out whatever attack he is doing. If Link is in the air, he can catch the boomerang while still moving forwards or backwards, but there will be a brief moment where he can't attack.

Jack_Shadow

Smash Rookie
Cheers for that, yer it was number 2 I was on about, I didn't really word the question well

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
I once used the Gale boomerang to push Lucas back into his PK Thunder.
I got some pretty good results.
Links Boomerang is awesome!

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I've never really used the push and pulling effects of the rang. I use it for my spam game not so much edgeguarding. But what I do try to use it for, however, is for the double Dsmash. Throw the rang -> Charge the dsmash -> Let the rang come back -> Unleash Dsmash and both hits of the Dsmash connect. It's iffy to use and very situational but works fantastically when it does work.

Jack_Shadow

Smash Rookie
as far ive heard most link mains claim gale guarding as pretty useless against most characters. Dunno if anyone agrees?

Personally I think its used best on Ike or another Link.

Jack_Shadow

Smash Rookie
sorry for posting twice but i think ive jus found something that is probably useless but im just interested in seeing if it is actually anything..

try this out, go against a large character (Bowser), stand close and just constantly side B (gale boomerang), once you get it going how hard is that to DI out of? cause i jus got 6/7 hits on a level 9 computer but it might of been playing crap. Just trying to get some fresh ideas out there.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
search for all my threads on the boomerang.

I have all the information down to the physics... but you know.... no one cares..

BACL < Boomerang Arrow Cancel Lock >

you're "boomerang lock" would fail. The opponent can ROLL. Completely screwing up your spacing needed to re-lock.

In the BACL, it's a forced getup.

I hate this new gen of Link's <_<

chandy

Smash Journeyman
There are already threads on these boards discussing all gale techniques. Personally I find it as Link's most useful projectile. Bombs may be better at mindgames but I just prefer the boomerang's speed O.o
A technique that's so easy to avoid but so good when it happens, bit like gale guarding without the quickened comeback. You throw the boomerang opposite way. Opponent uses up b into the air. Boomerang comes back and drags them off. I know it sucks as an ideal move but it's feels so good when you perform it and it does happen sometimes in ffas.

SuSa

......LULWUT?!
we hate you too...
I could drag up all my knowledge, shove it down your throat, and you'd still be nowhere near the old gen. of Link's.

You're just now discussing something I've been talking about for months and I'm willing to bit that you're skill level is nowhere near many of the old gen. of Link's.

When I get my wii back, I'll let you brawl the Wifi King.

10 - 19 Wins
1. Havokk - 17 wins

6 - 10 Wins
2. Ray_Kalm - 6 wins
11 wins above 2nd place... hmm...

There are already threads on these boards discussing all gale techniques. Personally I find it as Link's most useful projectile. Bombs may be better at mindgames but I just prefer the boomerang's speed O.o
A technique that's so easy to avoid but so good when it happens, bit like gale guarding without the quickened comeback. You throw the boomerang opposite way. Opponent uses up b into the air. Boomerang comes back and drags them off. I know it sucks as an ideal move but it's feels so good when you perform it and it does happen sometimes in ffas.
FFA's? What do those matter in a tournament setting?

I also believe the Gale Boomerang is Link's most versatile and useful projectile, however I've heard strong arguments for the bomb's.

Boomerang is pretty slow, if you want speed go learn to SHFFAC.

Gale Guarding is better in nearly every way to what you mentioned, learn to Gale Guard.

You can see BACL and Gale Guarding in action in my months-old combo video: (Oct of last year)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYUAykx7mmQ

Setup for Jab Locks using Gale Boomerang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QowOeJSFu4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZxADIzXx3M&feature=related

Old Old Old video on BACL:

This is back when I didn't know the spacing, or how to FHGKDAC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9f6_8rhh3k&feature=related

TL;DR

Boomerang:
The boomerang is a great projectile. It is almost as good as your bomb. It's very flexible. It can be thrown in 3 different directions with 2 different strengths for a total of 6 different types of boomerang throws. It comes out of your hand fast too. Commonly, the boomerang is use to set up things like jab locks and act as a repellent to approaches. This is much in part due to the nature the boomerang. At ranged distances, gale can play with spacing. At short distances the boomerang can knock somebody down (if they don't tech) under certain conditions. The chance of knocking them down is 100% if the conditions (you can control spacing but not always the side they are hit on) are perfect. For strong throws the best spacing is about Bowser length away. For weak throws its Mario length. These are all very good strengths and great uses of the boomerang.

In the spam game, the boomerang fulfills a few rolls. It does fill the roll of a repellent. In its nature, the gale boomerang has a wind effect that can mess up spacing. Also when it hits, it stops the opponents approach as they must reset. I mentioned before that the weakness of bombs is that your opponents can catch them. The boomerang has the potential to stop this if used in proper conjunction with bombs. Even if they do successfully catch the bomb, they still may get a boomerang to the face. Then they must reset and then the bomb is ready to go off in their hand. Often times though, the gale effect of the boomerang will hit the opponent on the way back. This often messes up their timing for catching bombs and makes it much harder. If they do try to go for the catch, they will probably eat a bomb in the face.

Since you should already be mobile with your bombs, you should probably stay mobile with your boomerang. You can use the boomerangs flexibility to compensate and with careful aim and practice, you should always be able to throw the boomerang on the appropriate angle sending it blitzing towards the opponent. One thing to be weary of though. The boomerang may have blitzing speed while out but to actually throw it is another thing. The boomerang is slow to come out so don't over use it. Use it's flexibility to complement the core of your spam. Using it in any other way will result in a complete failure and your opponent will eat you.

Unfortunately, the boomerang has a weakness of its own. Catching the boomerang can be devastating and it can stagnate your projectile game. In the time you caught the boomerang, you could have drawn another bomb. Catching your boomerang also hurts your mobility. If you catch the boomerang in the air, not only do you have to deal with that lag animation, but the extra landing lag can prove to be a real pain. There are only two ways to get around this. The first is to not catch the boomerang. Use your mobility so that the boomerang goes past you so you do not catch it. You do not have to deal with the catching animation and you are free to do whatever you please. Its only weakness is that you do not get the boomerang back for some time and have to wait to throw it again. If you throw it too soon, you get nothing. This option is almost always available and should almost always be used when you are spamming unless you can pull off the more optimal second option. The second option is to out prioritize the catching animation with another move. If you are in the process of another move you do not have to deal with the catching animation. You do not have to deal with getting the boomerang back immediately. To top it off, you are using a move that can harm an opponent. You want to use a move that cannot be punished easily which means that it probably should have good range and cancel/autocancel quickly. Since you are probably mobile it will probably be an air move. Zair fits all of those requirements and is probably the best option. Use this move to cancel out the boomerang catching animation then let it auto cancel. The beauty is that the gale effect can draw people into your Zair so you can continue to combo or go back to spam. If you are really far away, another great option is to pull out a bomb to continue to spam. This also cancels out the boomerang catch animation.

Practice to utilize the second way of canceling your boomerang animation. Zair is a great boon to your projectile game play and even if it doesn’t hit, they probably won’t be that close so you can go back into spam. This little tip is perhaps the most important part of speeding up your projectile spam game.

Lastly, It takes longer to pull out a bomb and throw it. If your mobility is limited and you fear punishment a quick boomerang throw may or may not help. Often People follow this up with a semi-charged or uncharged arrow. Then they avoid the catching animation via zair or Short hop bomb pull. This is a good spam strategy but it limits your mobility and ability "Not to get hit" much more than a bomb spam. Use it when your going to be limited anyway.
From DECEMBER:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=212523

You people are months behind.

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
lulz, reallllyyyy? if you haven't noticed, "rebuilding" is the whole point with this. the reason why it needs rebuilding is because everything here was redused to pretty much nothing. no offense, but i find it pretty anoying that you "hate" us becouse this threads are far behind when it's not even our fault, we're trying to start over again and catch up to the metagame. YES we are disscussing things that already has been discussed you don't have to tell us because it's not big news.
seriusly hate me if you want to it doesn't make a difference. the Link boards are far behind because almost every of the other Links left not because anything we've done hating us is pointless. hating anyone for this is pretty much pointless because it's no ones fault.

SuSa

lulz, reallllyyyy? if you haven't noticed, "rebuilding" is the whole point with this. the reason why it needs rebuilding is because everything here was redused to pretty much nothing. no offense, but i find it pretty anoying that you "hate" us becouse this threads are far behind when it's not even our fault, we're trying to start over again and catch up to the metagame. YES we are disscussing things that already has been discussed you don't have to tell us because it's not big news.
seriusly hate me if you want to it doesn't make a difference. the Link boards are far behind because almost every of the other Links left not because anything we've done hating us is pointless. hating anyone for this is pretty much pointless because it's no ones fault.
Copy the other threads, quote the information in them and post a new thread and keep that updated. Why start from scratch if you can build upon? I mean, at least use some common sense. If it's reconstructable, repair it. Don't demolish it and rebuild it. Notice how I brought some information, slapped it in quote tags, and gave a link to the thread. Was that easier then discussing something thats been discussed countless times before? You can always add and modify it as you find new information. Talking about old information isn't helping anyone, just making you waste time and seem stupid.

On what I colored in your post- It is your fault. You're trying to play catch up, rather then rolling on.

Both of you end this before it turns into a flame war. Keep your thoughts about the new generation to yourselves.
As much as I respect your opinion, they need to grow some brains in how they go about things. They will get no where for a long time, unless they start where the previous ones left off and work from there. It's like saying "lets trash everything we've found for the past 10 months, and start over" rather then "Let's take what we've learned over the last 10 months and improve upon it".

chandy

Smash Journeyman
FFA's? What do those matter in a tournament setting?

I also believe the Gale Boomerang is Link's most versatile and useful projectile, however I've heard strong arguments for the bomb's.

Boomerang is pretty slow, if you want speed go learn to SHFFAC.

Gale Guarding is better in nearly every way to what you mentioned, learn to Gale Guard.

You can see BACL and Gale Guarding in action in my months-old combo video: (Oct of last year)

Setup for Jab Locks using Gale Boomerang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QowOeJSFu4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZxADIzXx3M&feature=related
I know ffas don't matter but I was just expressing ma feeling of awesumness when you do gale guard or just drag ur opponent off the edge. I know it's better but gale guard only works off the stage and this technique does happen in ffas. Gale boomerang is also useful in jab locks as you've shown... I dunno what else to say lol.

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
Copy the other threads, quote the information in them and post a new thread and keep that updated. Why start from scratch if you can build upon? I mean, at least use some common sense. If it's reconstructable, repair it. Don't demolish it and rebuild it. Notice how I brought some information, slapped it in quote tags, and gave a link to the thread. Was that easier then discussing something thats been discussed countless times before? You can always add and modify it as you find new information. Talking about old information isn't helping anyone, just making you waste time and seem stupid.

On what I colored in your post- It is your fault. You're trying to play catch up, rather then rolling on.

As much as I respect your opinion, they need to grow some brains in how they go about things. They will get no where for a long time, unless they start where the previous ones left off and work from there. It's like saying "lets trash everything we've found for the past 10 months, and start over" rather then "Let's take what we've learned over the last 10 months and improve upon it".
if we figure out new things it'll be to late to post it there and discuss it.
i think you've missunderstood the point of this. don't just assume we're idiots...

SuSa

i think you've missunderstood the point of this. don't just assume we're idiots...
Read the very first sentence in my post.

1. You can always take the old information
2. Not all old information is solid fact yet, find better things. Change old information.
3. We may not have discovered everything, so add to the old information.

Starting from scratch is inefficient and stupid; get's you nowhere fast, and many things are repeated.

Especially when data gathered is not added to the first post, to make it easily accessible, and you don't have to read through x# of pages, memorize everything that's been said, and add to it.

______

It can only do 7% when you're practically hugging your opponent and it can be thrown at a 35 degree upwards and downwards.
You realize we have a total of 6 ways to throw the boomerang, right? It makes it sound like you only know of 3...

I decided to expose you to the Gale Boomerang the earliest due to its easy to perform advanced techniques. Due to the fact that these ATs are not widely used among Link mains, there is a large possibility that you will catch your opponent off guard. You may not find yourself in too many situations when you need to use techniques like these, but I think these techniques are useful and accessible enough to be important.
I strongly disagree. Properly using the Gale Guard is one of the hardest things to know, and I still know people who just don't get it. Link can gimp pretty well with a sourspot nair. Why go for a Gale Guard when you have BETTER options?

I also disagree on the fact it's not "widely used". There are 3 types of people for this.

1. People who don't know about it
2. People who don't know how to use it - therefore don't
3. People who know their options, and pick a better one.

It's better to get in Falco's face and knock him down witht he Gale Boomerang then it is to Gale Guard him! (Full Hop > Gale Boomerang > Second Jump > Arrow > Recover. Normally the Falco is gimped)

Gale Guarding may be somewhat difficult to perform,
Contradicting yourself much? You realize there's only like... 3 "AT's" I can think of with the Gale Boomerang, and they all take practice to perform.

This technique may appear to be useless against characters with better recovery, (Ike, Falco) but in these cases, Gale Guarding serves a different purpose.
Funny, it works fantastic vs Ike if you know how, and I already mentioned your better option for Falco.

Use your best judgment when using this technique on characters with good recovery. I advise you don't try it on any characters that have a 4 * rating or more.
Where can I see this list? <.<

_____

Another Jab Lock Setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QowOeJSFu4&feature=related

Using the knockdown to perform locks (horrible quality):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9f6_8rhh3k&feature=related

Seen better *and with a Gale Guard at 4:28* in my combo video:

Tektite

Smash Apprentice
Read the very first sentence in my post.

1. You can always take the old information
2. Not all old information is solid fact yet, find better things. Change old information.
3. We may not have discovered everything, so add to the old information.

Starting from scratch is inefficient and stupid; get's you nowhere fast, and many things are repeated.

Especially when data gathered is not added to the first post, to make it easily accessible, and you don't have to read through x# of pages, memorize everything that's been said, and add to it.
Yeah I agree 100%. <3 Havokk

SuSa

yeah sure, but i wasn't really trying to say that we were going to redo EVERYTHING...
LOLOLOL
The only way to advance is to change and add to what you already know.

Do they continue finding more digits of Pi by tossing out what they know? Or do they continue on with what they already have.

When something goes wrong, do you find the problem and fix it? Or do you take it all apart and start from scratch?

Also read above my post, I edited it to be of more use.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Beautiful comparisons, really, but you guys are going to start a self destructive path on the link boards. I have seen it happen with my own eyes.

So I have little to say, but these words speak well:

STOP FIGHTING NOW!!!

Hope that helps.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
This is the only hope the Link boards have left. If we quit, LB's are done.
That is true. We need more active posters and need to escape this self destructive path.

I'm new here, but with a fresh eye, I see you all are getting no where. I'm gonna post in the 'New Generation of Links' social group to see if we can take any initiative.

And I post in red. No complaints. It won't make you eyes bleed okay?

Top Bottom