• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hacks online will get you banned?

ratts

Smash Apprentice
I just played a whole round of Mario Kart online tracks and had no issues. I don't use codes on Mario Kart, this is just a big scare and nothing else. I haven't seen any errors on smash either, it's just a bunch of horse ****.

has anyone even experienced this with brawl?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I just played a whole round of Mario Kart online tracks and had no issues. I don't use codes on Mario Kart, this is just a big scare and nothing else. I haven't seen any errors on smash either, it's just a bunch of horse ****.

has anyone even experienced this with brawl?
Do I have to post this 150 thousand times, yes I was banned for a short time for doing so.

ratts

Smash Apprentice
And I just got this yesterday.....

*back to vBrawl*
it won't do it unless you are using codes while online with random people, which you shouldn't do anyways, just play brawl+ offline and with friends.

It really isn't that difficult guys.

it's like people afraid to use wii system 3.4 and homebrew, I've been doing it since it came out and I haven't had an issue once.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
it won't do it unless you are using codes while online with random people, which you shouldn't do anyways, just play brawl+ offline and with friends.

it's like people afraid to use wii system 3.4 and homebrew, I've been doing it since it came out and I haven't had an issue once.
150,001st time, I got banned and I play friends only....

Rikana

Smash Champion

What about the people who doesn't have smashers around them? They can only depend on WiFi for matches. Those people should be informed about what can be done. Obviously they're not going to play with random people, but with friends online instead.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Dunno if it will help or not, but I recommend that anyone that wants to play online at the very least turn off wiiconnect24, as they may rely on it to detect the homebrew channel. I can't guarantee that this will work, though, so don't come crying to me if you get banned while you have wiiconnect24 off. Actually, do come crying to me, that way I can edit this post to say this doesn't work.
I don't use WiiConnect24 (Wired Connection), and I never play online using HBC. I'll let you know if something happens to me anyway.

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman
I run 3.4 with WC24 off. Though I don't know whether system menu version makes a difference with their ability to ban you on Wi-Fi. (I would assume they could ban you regardless of the version.)

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
They should be able to ban you regardless of menu version. Just because you have v3.2 doesn't mean you should feel safe. Having wiiconnect24 off may grant you some safety. It might not. We don't know at this point.

Revven

FrankerZ
I think it might be based on WC24, which I have on. That could be a pretty big issue.
Try to play some online hax matches for a bit with WC24 off and see what that nets you. If you don't get banned after a few days, it's because of WC24 Nintendo can ban people.

HT27

Smash Cadet
I think currently they look for people playing with any codes/hacks running in games while playing online. Whether it's in MKW or SSBB doesn't really matter, if they catch you anywhere, they ban your entire console from going online in any game. It's not the HBC, it's the hacks. I've had HBC for months and been playing MKW, Brawl, and a few other games online regularly, never had any problems, ever. I've had Brawl+ for over a month, but I only play it offline. That said, I have played Brawl+ and used HBC with WC24 on, and never had any problems then either.

Summary: I think people experiencing problems are isolated only to cases of using any hacks or codes while playing online; Nintendo isn't picking which codes to ban for, they're banning all users of codes they find online in their games.

Edit: On a sidenote, I think the catalyst for Nintendo taking these actions has been the massive amounts of ridiculous hacking people have been doing in Mario Kart Wii online, so if you're using Homebrew to do that kind of crap, stop, because you're harming the Homebrew scene as well as Brawl+.

Finally, these are all only my observations, no more, no less

Clever_Sleazoid

Smash Apprentice
I've played 3 hours of online today, and a bit through the rest of this week. I think my 24 is on, and still nothing.

I have to agree that this is most likely BS.

5ive

Smash Champion
What if I play vBrawl online?
Will they still detect Brawl+?
How can you check which system menu you have?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
If you're running vBrawl you won't have any codes active, which means you're perfectly fine. You can check which system menu you have in the system options somewhere...

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
To find your System menu go to the Wii button on the bottom left hand corner of your Wii, Click on Wii Settings and look on the top right hand corner. I'll say something like Ver. 3.1U (I believe the U stands for NTSC or America).

We gotta find a more adamant way, There is a definite chance that Nintendo has a Wii with Homebrew and will figure out better ways to look for hacking. Plus there probably Looking at Smash-Boards To check for out retaliations. (Wow, I'm making Nintendo sound evil.) Well do you think Nintendo would still look for Wii's with homebrew removed?

Curses the only good (Balanced, High graphic, Has more than 10 websites dedicated to it.) fighting game on the Wii and now this happens! I'm gonna get a PS3 and get Soul Caliber and Street Fighter 4!!! (I hope...). Take that Nintendo!

Full Metal X

Smash Cadet
They only scan people in a suspicious situation, so all you got to do is, not hack online, or get out when some one else is. :)

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
I have my Brawl+ codeset saved on my comp for when I wanna play it. Last weekend, I finally learned how to load in texture hacks and the infinate replay time hack, and they are the shiz! I had friends over on friday and we played a while with the hacks, and nothing happened. On Saturday, I loaded Brawl w/ the textures, replay hack, and the music mods, nothing happened, I checked my Wifi on Sunday after I heard about this dilemma, and I was fine. However, I removed Homebrew outta fear. My friend told me that you only get smacked by Nintendo's ban bat if you use hacks w/ anyone, so I re-installed homebrew. I checked Wifi, and I was fine. I run on a v3.4 system. However this weekend, I'm installing the WAD manager, my Gecko WAD, and uninstalling homebrew.

I wish Nintendo weren't such hard heads about wanting people to have fun online. In this case, their arrogance has blatantly ruined alot of people who use hacks to "have fun." Silly nintendo, you can't use Super Captain Falcon online xD! Anyways, the only hacks that I have seen that affect gameplay on Wifi is the Brawl+ hack, and from what I have seen, it only works if the other person has the same codes as you. What about texture hacks? Only you and the person who has the same texture hack as you can see them. Nintendo seriously has to admit that their are some bad @$$ textures out there...also, music mods. I love Mother music, some Fire Emblem music, and other music they have in Brawl. However, the legit stages that I play on (FD, BF, SV etc.) don't have these tracks. Before I play, if i can, I ask my opponent (Over my clan CB or AiB) if they mind me using my music mods. They usually do not mind.

Therefore, Nintendo, why? Seriously, WTF!? I know I have not been affected yet, but please, this has to stop...

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I have my Brawl+ codeset saved on my comp for when I wanna play it. Last weekend, I finally learned how to load in texture hacks and the infinate replay time hack, and they are the shiz! I had friends over on friday and we played a while with the hacks, and nothing happened. On Saturday, I loaded Brawl w/ the textures, replay hack, and the music mods, nothing happened, I checked my Wifi on Sunday after I heard about this dilemma, and I was fine. However, I removed Homebrew outta fear. My friend told me that you only get smacked by Nintendo's ban bat if you use hacks w/ anyone, so I re-installed homebrew. I checked Wifi, and I was fine. I run on a v3.4 system. However this weekend, I'm installing the WAD manager, my Gecko WAD, and uninstalling homebrew.

I wish Nintendo weren't such hard heads about wanting people to have fun online. In this case, their arrogance has blatantly ruined alot of people who use hacks to "have fun." Silly nintendo, you can't use Super Captain Falcon online xD! Anyways, the only hacks that I have seen that affect gameplay on Wifi is the Brawl+ hack, and from what I have seen, it only works if the other person has the same codes as you. What about texture hacks? Only you and the person who has the same texture hack as you can see them. Nintendo seriously has to admit that their are some bad @$$ textures out there...also, music mods. I love Mother music, some Fire Emblem music, and other music they have in Brawl. However, the legit stages that I play on (FD, BF, SV etc.) don't have these tracks. Before I play, if i can, I ask my opponent (Over my clan CB or AiB) if they mind me using my music mods. They usually do not mind.

Therefore, Nintendo, why? Seriously, WTF!? I know I have not been affected yet, but please, this has to stop...
You don't need to uninstall homebrew. The whole thing about the "HAXX ticket" being how they detected the hacks being used was BS. I don't remember how they said they were doing it, but uninstalling the homebrew channel isn't gonna do anything.

gangstakirby said:
i
BELIEVE

nintendo said something about only banning non-with-friends hackers after this "1st warning"
Link or it didn't happen.

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps there are looking for WADS and Backup loaders, which have a high chance of Illegality (BUT not guaranteed.)

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
I went on as Wario-man, beat everyone up, and didn't get banned somehow. Are they banning in Brawl? People banned from Brawl Wi-Fi were banned for hacking in other games. What if you went on as Giga Bowser?

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Will you be fine if you play EXBrawl with anyone? (Unlimited replay, unrestricted cam etc., nothing that changes gameplay)

With friends you can do whatever though right?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
thisthisthis

Nintendo's priorities have been messed up ever since the wii came out
Mainly because they can't update their games. They aren't built to accept updates, nor are the built to accept DLC outside of small things like songs to the SD card in GH, or the daily stage, picture, and video in Brawl. It has nothign to do with priorities, it has to do with what is possible and what isn't possible.

Honestly, I'm glad Nintendo is starting to crack down on hackers. Anyone who played Metroid Prime: Hunters know how badly hacking can get out of hand. I am dead serious when I say it's gotten a point where 3/4 people are playing that game with hacks online. It ruins the experience. And from what I understand, MK:Wii was starting to show signs of getting that bad with the low but steady increase in hackers playing online.

It wasn't surprising that they were eventually going to do something like this, particularly on the Wii. The only surprising part was how long it took them to do so. Yes, it's a shame that Brawl+ might be effected, but it's for the best. Just don't use it online much if at all and you should be fine.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion

You don't have to uninstall Homebrew. They don't check the Wii for Homebrew, they just check if you have altered data.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
Guys. I heard that Nintendo is only banning in MKWii. Someone called them and said that's what they said. Can someone else call Nintendo to confirm this?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Honestly, I'm glad Nintendo is starting to crack down on hackers. Anyone who played Metroid Prime: Hunters know how badly hacking can get out of hand. I am dead serious when I say it's gotten a point where 3/4 people are playing that game with hacks online. It ruins the experience. And from what I understand, MK:Wii was starting to show signs of getting that bad with the low but steady increase in hackers playing online.
There's a big difference between hacking MP:H and hacking Brawl. For one thing, the vast majority of the most popular hacks either don't affect the gameplay or have to be used on both ends of the connection in order to work. And if I'm playing a game with a friend of mine (BECAUSE THERE ARE NO PUB SERVERS FOR MATCHMAKING, THANK YOU NINTENDO :mad: ) and we both agree that we'd like to play with a certain modification on in order to enhance the gameplay experience for us, Nintendo really should have nothing to say about it.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
There's a big difference between hacking MP:H and hacking Brawl. For one thing, the vast majority of the most popular hacks either don't affect the gameplay or have to be used on both ends of the connection in order to work. And if I'm playing a game with a friend of mine (BECAUSE THERE ARE NO PUB SERVERS FOR MATCHMAKING, THANK YOU NINTENDO :mad: ) and we both agree that we'd like to play with a certain modification on in order to enhance the gameplay experience for us, Nintendo really should have nothing to say about it.
It's THEIR game. It's THEIR system. It's THEIR characters. It's THEIR remotes. It's THEIR copyrights. You think they should have nothing to say about it?

That's not logical at all. It's all their stuff, they can do what ever the heck they want with it. If they want to shut down all online hacking for whatever reason, they have every right to do so. If they wanted to, they could permanently brick or permanently bad online use of every single Wii they found that was hacked.

If you mess around with a company's stuff in a way they don't wish, they can take action. Nintendo is choosing to do so, and has every right to do so. It's your own risk, but their right.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
It's THEIR game. It's THEIR system. It's THEIR characters. It's THEIR remotes. It's THEIR copyrights. You think they should have nothing to say about it?
In a word, yes.

That's not logical at all. It's all their stuff, they can do what ever the heck they want with it. If they want to shut down all online hacking for whatever reason, they have every right to do so. If they wanted to, they could permanently brick or permanently bad online use of every single Wii they found that was hacked.
Bull****. I paid for the software, and I am not misusing it at anyone's expense or for personal gain, so they don't have jack **** to say about it on any "principle." The letter of the law might be in their favor (since it almost unilaterally favors corporate imperialism over individual rights), but not any moral standpoint.

If you mess around with a company's stuff in a way they don't wish, they can take action. Nintendo is choosing to do so, and has every right to do so. It's your own risk, but their right.
It's your "right" to call the police on someone for driving 5 miles per hour over the speed limit. It wouldn't make you any less of a douchebag, though.

(Edited for a better comparison.)

Top Bottom