• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Batman: We Own the Knight (mee-OWWwwwwww - Catwoman Report Card is up!)

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
GCN SPECIAL NEWS BULLETIN

Gotham City, it is with a heavy heart I in form you that Mayor Anthony Garcia has perished.

Here with us to help explain the horrible occurrence is mayoral candidate, Rupert Thorne.

R

Rupert Thorne

As you all saw before we had to cut away, the light fixture above us crashed down, leaving both me and Mayor Garcia wounded. I stayed with him letting my security begin to canvas the building, and was called that they had found someone of suspicion. Unfortunately, I was not able to capture this person as they escaped my security.

When I returned downstairs, Garcia was being lifted onto a stretcher while I inspected to see if I could get any hint of what had caused the fixture to fall. After looking around, I was preparing to go outside and go with Garcia to the hospital to get my injuries taken care of as well, when I heard an engine revving followed by a loud impact and screaming.

When I arrived outside, Garcia was down, having been hit by a limousine. Police were on the scene and immediately followed the limousine. For the moment I would like to ask all citizens of Gotham to stay in your homes. We will make sure you receive more information as soon as it becomes available, and while the police are tracking this limo it is a risk to be on the streets. I hope you all stay safe, and give Mayor Garcia's family your prayers, and keep them in your hearts.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Gotham Gazette November 4th, 2008

Mayor Garcia Murdered on Eve of Elections By Vicki Vale

Mayor Garcia smiles for reporters during the opening of MCU's own headquarters, circa late 2006.

The Gotham Civic Center was the site of a historic political murder that will no doubt scar the face of Gotham politics for as long as the city stands. Last night, during the mayoral debates hosted by Mike Engel of GCN’s Gotham Tonight, incumbent mayor Anthony Garcia was brutally assassinated in front of his opponent, multi-billionaire CEO and large-scale community activist Rupert Thorne and millions of television viewers.

The debate, which was to serve as the deciding factor in today’s vote, met a lethally abrupt halt when a lighting fixture cracked and fell from the ceiling. Thorne was quick to react, moving to grab Garcia and pull both himself and his opponent out of the way of the major fixture before they were pinned by falling debris. Garcia was pinned and crushed by the falling metal fixtures, while Thorne sustained heavy injures to his side and arm. As the security team scrambled to recover both men, a backstage guard noticed a man, now identified as the Joker, escaping through the catwalks.

Reminiscent of the massacre at yesterday’s fundraiser, Thorne was again quick to heroics. After helping the team rescue Garcia, Thorne told Engel to stay with Garcia until medical help arrived, grabbed a shotgun from behind a podium, and moved with almost a dozen security guards after the escaping Joker. Unfortunately, the group was not able to catch up with the madman and was forced to regroup downstairs.

As Mayor Garcia was moved onto a stretcher to be loaded onto an ambulance, his condition promised to stabilize with medical attention. And then, as a malevolent coup de grace, the Joker plowed through the scene in a limousine and struck the injured Garcia, killing him, and making his escape.

After investigations, it has been found that the lighting fixture was rigged to fall by cutting the rope fastenings with an object identified by signature groove marks as a handsaw. How a metal saw passed undetected through the single entrance to the Gotham Civic Center is unknown, especially considering the lengths to which all parties involved in the debate took to ensure maximum security.

Regardless of personal or political belief, alignment, or agenda, one would be hard-pressed to find fault in the life of Anthony Garcia. A successful prosecuting attorney, Garcia won the hearts of Gothamites on his platform for change and a hope for safer streets, a better economy, and a better future. He leaves behind a legacy of city work as well as his wife Nancy and two sons, Philip and Matthew.

When Mike Engel commented in passing to Rupert Thorne about how the murder most assuredly sealed the fate of the election, Thorne remarked that he would rather have lost everything than to win due to Garcia’s death. The assassination will most assuredly cause mass chaos throughout the city, as polling places desperately attempt to adjust the ballots to list Deputy -- and now Acting -- Mayor Hamilton Hill as Rupert Thorne’s opponent, and as millions decide how this changes their city and their vote.

For a full description of the life of Mayor Anthony Garcia, please turn to the obituary article on page G1.

Cat's Cradle By Tom Tucker

The Gotham Museum of History & Culture, circa its opening in 1997

A recent heist -- and quite possibly the most elaborate one in the history of Gotham City -- was executed with flawless resolve last night, as police were further occupied with grisly murders and, as always, the ever-elusive Joker.

I'm going to go right out and say it -- the Catwoman did it.

Many claimed to have seen her around town shortly after her supposed arrest on October 27th, and even fighting crime. But at Bruce Wayne and Rupert Thorne's relief fundraiser for the victims of the Wayne Tower attack, it is the opinion of this journalist that, with video evidence to boot, she showed her true colors -- criminal to the core.

Police were called to the Gotham Museum of History & Culture after security officers working the museums night shift informed emergency services that their power had been cut, and that one officer may have been compromised. In responding, any trail other than the route through the museum that the expert burglar took remained a mystery.

Through our sources, we at the Gazette were able to determine that the burglar was able to navigate much of the building by breaking holes into the building's walls and simply crawling within the walls, in thin areas inhospitable for all but the world's most impossibly flexible, and gain access to the museum as such. The same method was apparently used to reach the outer wall of the security office and cut its outgoing power, decimating the museum's otherwise unbeatable security systems. Where the holes were broken, from two desired areas to two different bathrooms, required a degree of precision impossible unless the architect himself had committed the robbery.

Police also found two unconscious security officers, one of whom seemed to have his security keycard missing.

Among the loot stolen were two Rembrandt canvases, one Monet, and the museum's prized piece, a rare original Picasso. More severely was one of the museum's main attractions of historical art and culture, the Golden Puma. Presented to a British Navy Admiral by the government of Egypt for his personal assistance in driving away French forces during Napoleonic invasion, the Puma is one of many relics divulged to cherished allies by Egyptian officials during this period, not unlike the French-designed Statue of Liberty. The Golden Puma, as such, has an intrinsic value sheerly through its historical value, not to mention its weight of solid gold and jewels. This is said to price the artifact, through conservative estimates, at around four million dollars.

In place of the Golden Puma, authorities allegedly found a dull paperweight of equal mass to the Puma, and a written letter that stated:

"Beauty provoketh thieves sooner than gold.

With Love,"

And then it was marked with a lipstick kiss.

And who else would have no reason to worry about the risk of identification? Someone already known to police -- and the Catwoman is, quite simply, the only female criminal in American history with the knowhow or, apparently, technology to pull this off.

To Captain Gordon, Commissioner Loeb, and now Mayor Hamilton Hill -- we beseech you, release this woman's identity, and those of any other killers, thieves, and rapists within our midst, for whatever reason. This is not the time for the public to judge our police force, but to collaborate with them. With Garcia, I would hope, we have a message for no more tolerance of these damned criminals.

The Brimstone Breeze

An artist's sketch of the emblem smeared onto the wall in human bean juice

Early last night, the entire night shift of the radio station WGN, "The Cool Breeze" was found murdered in what appears to have been some kind of cult ritual. Among the victims were the WGN's night DJs, and the hosts of WGN's popular morning program, Shoot the Breeze. The killers did not allow anyone inside to leave the building alive.

The attack was launched at approximately 9:30, while the WGN night program was on commercial break. The police were unaware of any problem until one of the WGN employees phoned 911 from inside the station a quarter of an hour later.

When police arrived, they spotted Batman's protegee, Robin, leaving the scene. It is unknown exactly what he was doing at the WGN station, although authorities say they have no reason to suspect that he was involved in the bizzare murders. The Batman himself was seen a few blocks away from the station.

The police entered the station around 9:50. The murderers were nowhere to be found. Instead, the officers found a nightmarish display. Blood covered the walls, much of it forming various Satanic symbols. The bodies of Joe Carter and Kurt Stamps were mounted on a pike, and stood upright at the center of the largest pentagram.

In normal times, this horror would command the police forces' absolute attention. At present, however, it seems like only one of many in the hellscape that the city of Gotham has become.

Today's Population: 5,597,172

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer

"Good morning Gotham City, this is Louis Tarnidge here, on GCRX, the Cold Room.

Tragedy befell the land of radio last night, as Joseph Carter and Kurt Stamps, also known as J.C. and Stemps of the "Shoot the Breeze" morning show on WGN, were ruthlessly slaughtered, along with all of their staff.

A motive is as unlikely as an explanation. What was done there could only be random violence, meant to prove some kind of point. What point? Now that is a question for the ages. Who can ever tell which psychopath is making which point in a city where they seem to devour the soul.

For today's Forgotten Heroes segment, we have a young man by unusual Polish name of Stinko Manfan. A hard-working student at Robinson University, Manfan worked two jobs in addition to his part-time studies. Described as "enterprising" and "unique" by professors and friends, he had a bright future ahead of him, still young at the age of twenty-three.

Unfortunately, it seemed the young man met one of men that are becoming indicative of Gotham City -- without logical capacity or mercy. Though details of his cause of death have been withheld for the time being by police, it relates to severe bleeding in the pelvic artery. Such inane brutality.

Manfan's death was overshadowed, coming at or near the time of more than two thouand other Gotham employees -- but mourn him as sure as you may mourn all of them. For if life has ceased to matter to you except en masse, men like the Joker have already won.

Call in with your comments and songs. Let's set the mood for November fourth and election day with some hope, for a change."

TheJoker

Clown Prince
BRoomer
Hello Gotham!

I thought it'd only be fair to warn you that I'm going to start blowing up polling stations. I'm not sure how many, but I'm aiming for ten! Maybe you'll be one of the lucky winners.

And remember the last time people didn't listen to me. Ten cops died. This time it'll be more.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer

"Welcome back to GCRX, Gotham City, and you're with Louis Tarnidge once again. Breaking news today, in Cape Carmine.

It is presently the understanding of our souces that a cat and mouse game has been played once again with the Joker, the Batman, and Gotham's Finest. A sudden assault by masked assailants rocked the pursuing team from an unforeseen vantage point, decimating most of the police force before they could respond in kind.

While this went on, the Joker and his men, who were in Cape Carmine for reasons unknown, led what remained of the police forces, who had retreated the ambush, and the Batman to the edge of Cape Carmine, a steep drop. It is at this point that eyewitnesses saw the Joker and his men leap into a speedboat as it came by. This did not go so smoothly for all of them, as one ended up caught on the back, lower body being chewed up by the motor's deadly blades. The Joker thanked him for his services in a manner to which one might expect -- a swift kick.

Authorities roused via river patrol and helicopter, but the boat had been abanded by Miller Harbor. Apparently they had disappeared into the chilly day just one more time, the Joker a master of tortuous Houdini like craft.

But apparently, a master of psychology, as well.

For as he led the forces of justice, both police and vigilante alike, around the city, twenty car bombs went off around the city, decimating polling centers. It seems that, as in the case of the Gotham City Police Department Headquarters, this was performed through high density fertilizer bombs, timers, and maliciously packed with nails and other hardware for the sole purpose of increased lethality.

At present, Gotham, you are encouraged to stay in your homes. As for today's ballots, both the Presidential and Mayoral elections are said to be on hold at the moment.

As always, as dark clouds arrive, please spread them with so much as a whisper of information or thought.

TheJoker

Clown Prince
BRoomer
The illusion of choice is something that has been hampering this city far too much. I'm saving you from it. From now on, you will listen to me. First order of buisness, is that tomorrow, I will bomb schools. However, I will not bomb the schools if the population that goes to them severely drops. love your kid? Then I assume you don't want him or her to end up like the people who tried to make a choice today.

Also, I thought some of you might like to know that the figure known as the Robin is named Terry Gilliam, an ex convict. Happy hunting

R

Rupert Thorne

Gotham, my heart goes out to all who were victims in the poll station bombings. As has been said, please stay away from the polls and something will certainly be worked out. As for the Joker's last comment, please stay tuned to the media, as I'm sure there will be word from someone on our side giving information on how the city will handle the Joker's latest threat. Until then I once again encourage you to keep away from the polling centers. These elections will take place, but right now it is far more important to keep our citizens safe than to worry about accomplishing them as originally planned.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Gotham Gazette November 5th, 2008

Fallen Knight By Vicki Vale

Harvey Dent recovers from his many injuries, condition critical

It is with great despair that I report that at ten o'clock last night, the bodies of Gotham District Attorney Harvey Dent and his wife Gilda Dent were found outside the Gotham General Hospital emergency room. They were rushed to the intensive care unit immediately, where they were treated for severe chemical burns across their bodies. Both are in near-fatal condition: while Mrs. Dent's burns are more severe, Harvey is also being treated for several contusions to the head, including a broken jaw and many deep bruises. Their chances of survival are gravely slim, and they will need extensive care and attention.

When contacted, Assistant District Attorney Rachel Dawes commented, "We all consider Harvey Dent a friend first, a teacher second, and, finally, a leader. We're all very shaken up by this, and we hope that the DA's office, until he is ready to return to us, will continue to shine as a beacon of hope in this city -- for we still believe in Harvey Dent. And so should the city." When asked about any leads to the source of the brutal attack, Assistant DA John Scott silenced, "The Gotham City District Attorney's office is not prepared to comment on the nature of the incident, or any leads. We're looking into it." He finished with a threatening, "we will find those responsible."

This attack comes at a terrible time for Gotham city, as criminals run amok in the streets, factories are destroyed, buildings are burned, people are murdered, and the city needs its heroes. Dent came under sharp criticism for his order to fire openly into the crowd of impostor jokers during the murderer's escape from custody, but I dare say only a monster could wish this sort of pain onto him, his family, and his city.

As the fate of Gotham's white knight rests in the hands of an expert team of doctors, we must all hope for the best... and prepare for the worst.

Bulls and Pawns By Roger Mortimer

The Joker, pictured with hostage, at the Wayne Fundraiser

Moments after the poll bombings, the Joker made another threat: to destroy our schools, and by extension our children. Directly calling out parents, the Joker said that unless parents didn’t send their kids to school, he would bomb them, killing who knows how many kids. After his feint and bombings yesterday that killed, at current counts, 227 people, we can know that it is no lie that he will and plans to follow up on his threat.

Which raises the question: Do we compromise? Do we follow through with his demand? The Black Mask made another demand, and we refused, and now thousands are dead. That is not Gotham’s fault; it is the fault of the Black Mask. But it’d be dishonest of me to act like these are similar choices. Closing the schools for a day or sending a man $10 billion are in no way similar. By grouping them together we do nothing but limit our intellectual options, and by result restrict our ways to fight terrorism. We could try to go for a moral victory by not listening, but when our kids wind up dead, who is the real victory? Someone in office might give himself a pat on the back for his supposed “moral fortitude”, but what he’d have really done is cowardice. Instead of making a possibly politically dangerous move, he’d have sacrificed the lives of children in order to give the illusion of higher moral ground.

Moral choices are not black and white, Gotham. Nor are they for a simple newspaper writer to decide. This type of choice is not mine to make, and I am glad that I’m not in a position to have the final say. But as the voice of the people, I feel it needs to be said that someone needs to think of the children, and that their lives are not pawns for moral fortitude, but are instead innocent children who have no part in this. The Joker might have brought them into this fight, but we can bring them out. We should not accept his trap and send our kids to school. We need to save their lives.

On another note, how is it that the Joker managed twice to buy large amounts of fertilizers and other materials for bombs and in two separate incidents managed to detonate them? Is our police force this incompetent? What victories have we had so far? They’ve captured a deranged crocodile-like man who died soon, but, besides offering token support for the Joker, had only committed two murders and arson. The Black Mask, the Faraway Tree Killer, Batman, and the Joker have all gone unarrested, or arrested then broken out with relative ease. How can this be? Everyone is offering praise for Gordon, but is it deserving? Is he truly the best we can offer? His devotion to the cause of justice cannot be denied, but his skills have proven to be lacking so far. Our police have done nothing but offer token resistance.

And to the naysayers who will attack this piece as being “anti-American” for writing about the failures of our police; what good have you done for this city? We are in a crisis, and our current, rigid system is obviously not capable of matching the demands. As our new president has been saying, “It’s time for a change”. We cannot treat them the same.

Gotham's Bane By Alexander Knox

The mug shot of Antonio Marcos, known to Gotham as Bane

Antonio Marcos, the man who freed the Joker while he was being transported by police, was found Not Guilty today after his trial. The only witness present at the hearing was the defendent himself. All others, with the heroic exception of Captain Gordon, were too fearful of this monster of a man to face him in court. When the man known as "Bane" took the stand, he wove a terrifying tale of human experiments - experiments which he claimed to have been an unwilling subject of.

He even went as far as to implicate some of Gotham's most prominet companies, including Advanced Psysiosolutions, ThorneCorp, and Phoenix Pharmaceuticals. He claims that "Venom", the name of the drug he is addicted to, is so potent that withdrawing from the drug would result in his death. Allegedly, some or perhaps all of these corporations had a direct hand in Venom's development, and its testing on the man who was once Antonio Marcos.

Bane says the horrible crimes he committed were a direct result of his need to finance his addiction. His apartment was searched, and there was almost no money found there. Bane's lawyers used this as evidence of his absolutely reliance on Venom, claiming that he was not responsible for his actions, as they were performed to save his life.

Ultimately, Judge Schwartz found Bane Not Guilty for his crimes - a verdict that did not sit well with the families of the Joker and Bane's victims, who were gathered outside the courthouse. However, the Judge did at least see fit to have Bane deported back to his home country of Santa Prisca, the country from which he was kidnapped years ago. He was a prisoner when he left the country, but it is unknown what how he will be treated there when he returns.

The Midland Conspiracy? By Stanton Kiel

Police inspect the scene of Kevin Harold's death

Readers will remember the mysterious bombing of the Midland Engineering building, in which sixty-seven workers were found dead, but the company still has not cooperated with police investigation and any details about the bombing and what the company is working on remain a mystery.

Today, two security guards who work for Midland Engineering died. One guard, Kevin Harold, was struck by an SUV on the street right in front of the Midland building. The driver of the SUV stopped and was willingly brought in by police, visibly shaken by the event.

The other guard, Tom Scarfino, shot himself through the eye in his own apartment during working hours. He had left the gas of his oven on, and investigation suggests that the spark of him shooting himself set the gas ablaze. The fire was put out within ten minutes.

The two deaths are estimated as being as little as an hour apart. Chairman and CEO Charles Midland refused to give a statement about the deaths. Police currently have no idea what is going on at Midland. How can they be allowed to refuse cooperation? Even if these deaths are unrelated accidents, there are still sixty-seven deaths that a killer is getting away with. It is time police began a forced investigation. Is Midland a victim of cruel corporate espionnage, or are they killing their own employees to protect sensitive information? Why are corporations allowed to stall police investigations, especially ones involving as many deaths as the Midland case?

God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen By Rick Knight

Just one of several towers of toys and loot given to needy children across Gotham by the mysterious Kringle Couple

As drug dealers, thieves, and murderers have made their home in Gotham city, so have a wild cast of vigilante figures: the Batman, Robin, the Plague Doctor, Santa Claus... yes, Santa Claus. Last night, the streets of Gotham were host to one of the most curious, and dare I say charming, capers in American history. The target? All sorts of children's toys, from stuffed animals to teddy bears to action figures to video game consoles. The thieves? None other than St. Nicholas and Santa's little helper.

When the manager at the megastore Toys R Us in the downtown Gotham area opened shop, you can bet he didn't expect his store to have been transformed into a winter wonderland. Almost all of the store's toys were missing, and the floors were covered in piles and mounds of snow. There was no sign of burglary, no breached points of security, no mess, no nothing. Just toys and snow.

"I can't even imagine how this happened," remarked a cashier at the megastore, after his manager bitterly refused to comment. "It's so... weird."

Across the city, at the world famous Toys Will Be Toys store, the joy spree continued to unravel. The Gotham City Police Department received a distress call from the two security guards at the store very early in the morning, chattering their teeth and complaining that they had been robbed blind. When police arrived at the scene for investigation, they found almost all of the toys missing and the two security guards still wrapped and bound by shiny, golden, yet heavy duty tinsel.

"Yeah, laugh all you want," Bruce Evans, one of the guards remarked to me, sipping hot chocolate as the snow in the store refused to defrost. "I'm telling you, it was a guy dressed up like Santa Claus and a chick dressed like a skimpy little elf. I'm just mindin' my business when they pop in outta nowhere, no doors, no nothing. Like-- yeah, laugh-- like Christmas magic. She says, 'get 'em, Santa!' and before I know it, I'm covered in this tinsel and I cant move. Joe comes back in from his patrol check and he gets all wrapped up too. 'Ho ho ho!' he says. The Santa comes up to us, to knock us out, right? And he says, 'God rest ye merry, Gentlemen.' Like from the song. I wake up a few hours later, and everything's gone, and we're covered in snow. Go figure. It's not even December."

All those toys, stolen by Santa? For what dastardly purpose would Old Saint Nick steal toys? Why, to give them out to the wonderful, ever-deserving children of Gotham, that's why!

In fact, twas an hour before midnight when the children at Metro Gotham Children's Hospital in downtown Gotham received a visit from Kris Kringle and his helper elf. They simply burst into the waiting room on the first floor, spouting merry-Christmases to all and passing out toys to the ill and recovering children. They made the rounds of the hospital, handing out portable CD players, action figures, and toy instruments to every child they could find. When asked what charitable organization they were from, the jolly man in red simply responded, "Why, the North Pole, of course!" before dumping innumerable amounts of toys into the Toys for Tots deposit boxes and making his escape on their sleigh.

Next stop was St. Jude's Orphanage, where the merry couple simply knocked on the door. "They explained who they were - well, Santa Claus and his elf, they said - and that they were here to bring toys to the children," remarked a caretaker. "And Lord have mercy, they had so many toys. It was such a joy. We put toys next to every sleeping child's bed, and when they woke up they couldn't believe their eyes." One child confirmed our suspicions, clutching his new, twenty four inch plush grizzly bear, "It was Santa. I saw him. He told me to 'Shhh.' so I pretended to sleep. I think I fooled him." When the children finally decide to put down their new toys and go out to play, they're in for another surprise - their playground is now home to snowmen and igloos.

Reports of surprise toys have also come in from dozens of families of the victims of the recent killing sprees of both the Joker and the Faraway Tree Killer, as well as of the victims of the terrorist plot organized by the Black Mask. Whoever these new figures are -- excuse me, Santa Claus and Santa's little helper obviously took great care in organizing their jolly scheme, especially considering the air of scandal surrounding both Toys R Us, for their incredibly high prices on basic childrens' toys, and Toys Will Be Toys, for their alleged involvement in overseas sweatshops. Stealing from the crooked and giving to the needy children of Gotham, and going to massive lengths to ensure that the toys will remain in the hands of the children; even if the managers of the stores and the police dared to try to return the toys, it is literally impossible to determine which toy belongs to which store, as all the tags have been removed from the toys and the inventory logs from both establishments were destroyed.

But someone did, in fact, try to steal Christmas away from the thieving couple, as witnesses report that the vigilante figure Robin followed the couple across town to a confrontation. Santa's little helper, in her skimpy costume, hopped out of their sleigh and engaged in one on one combat with the armored Grinch for several minutes until Santa decided simply and almost magically to cover Robin in slush. The couple then vanished in a puff of snow.

"With guys like Black Mask and Joker around it's hard for me to have any lingering resentment for harmless crooks like these," commented Acting Mayor Hamilton Hill. In fact, with all of the city schools closed this week due to the Joker's bomb scares, a magical batch of toys couldn't have come at a better time.

Today's Population: 5,597,152

Catwoman

Meow!
"Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...
"

B

Black Mask

Gotham City, I gave you a choice and you opted for the more violent route by your denying me of the payment. Today, I will renew this offer, but this time I shall make it clearer.

Pay $10 billion to Swiss account 133769.

Failure to comply will not end nicely for this city. To help push you along in your little decision, I have decided that the mayor of our beloved city dies at 12 unless that payment is made. Naturally, I had prepared for Mayor Garcia, but thanks to recent events, this honour falls to Acting Mayor Hill. If you value your leader, and Hill, if you value your life, this time, don't disappoint me.

The Black Mask has spoken.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
GCN SPECIAL NEWS BULLETIN

Gotham City, as I prepare for tonight's rendition of Gotham Tonight, I am afraid I have no good news for you.

It has come to our attention here at GCN that there was a recent bombing attack on the L-train running parallel to the Aparo Expressway. It was apparently a rather clever bombing, with the train sitting partially derailed, leaving authorities scrambling to respond as another train barrelled down the track and plunging into it before anything could be done. Survivors are expected to be minimal.

Was this the work of the Black Mask? The Joker? Cavalier assaults on our citizens, alas, are nothing new, and I am shamed by our inability to prevent such a tragedy.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
20:00

GOTHAM TONIGHT:

ENGEL: Tonight, Gotham City, we truly have a horror of which to inform you. Mayor Hamilton Hill is dead.

The news of his death came an hour before we were scheduled to go on the air, and as sure as he perished before the Black Mask promised he would, he also perished at the hands of an entirely different maniac. An anonymously submitted video tape has been delivered to our news room, and I shall now play it without any further stalling. Please understand that the following images are shocking in nature, and should not be seen by children.

The camera opens on the face of the Joker. He is grinning. You can see him from chest up.

"Gotham, Gotham Gotham.... You closed the schools. You stopped kids from succeding in their lives. That's good. That's very lipsmack good.

You are well on your way from freeing yourself from false boundaries, from fake ideas and seperations between who you are and who you really are -- Because when you take a knife to yourself, and cut away all the excess fat, you come up with something perfect

You come up with me!

But we have a problem, Gotham. There is still someone out there, someone who thinks he is above this all. He kills for money. Why? What purpose is that? He wears a mask. Some say that is similar to me. They're wrong. I don't wear a mask.

I show exactly what I am.

He wants $10 billion form you. And why? What purpose would that give? What is different between him and the common thug other than his scale?

This city deserves a better class of criminal. And I'm giving it to you.

So from now on, the next time the Black Mask makes a threat, know this. If you do pay him the $10 billion, if you pay him to stop the threat... then I'll do it. If you pay him to stop him from blowing up a hospital, I'll blow up all the hospitals. If you pay him to stop him from killing a kid, I'll kill a classroom and eat the remains. If you pay him to stop him from hurting a bunny, I'll bomb a rabbit farm.

Today, he said he'd kill Mayor Hill at 12.

Just another example of a false set of boundaries, giving him a time table to do something. To free him of it, I decided to kill the mayor...now."

As the camera zooms out, Joker pulls out a large knife. It looks like a machete, but smaller. The camera reveals Hamilton Hill, struggling under Joker's foot, bleeding from both legs.

"Black Mask, you'll thank me for this."

The Joker reaches up his arm and starts hacking downward into Hill's neck, over and over again. All the while, he laughs.

"Wehahaha

WEHAHAHAHAHA

WAHAHAHAH!!!!"

Hill's head eventually comes right off. Joker keeps cutting at the tissues, and picks up the head. He grabs Hill's jaw, and makes his lifeless head move like a puppet. "Hill" speaks in a British accent.

"I say, vote for Joker in the election! If Jesus was alive he'd vote the same!

Also, I have it on good authority that Terry Gillliam is a girly son of a bitch who can't throw a punch. I have a gut feeling that at some point the Joker is going to beat him up and crucify him alive in a park. Just a hunch, wot wot.

In another gut feeling, I thought that as acting mayor I should inform you that Harvey Dent is the Plague Doctor."

Joker drops Hill's head on the ground... and stomps it. Again, and again, and again, until it crushes beneath his foot, the face stretching into itself and forming an unusual smile.

It cuts back to a pale Engel.

ENGEL: Horrifying.

But what are we to make of the accusation of our beloved Harvey Dent? Personally, I don't believe it. Harvey Dent is a good man that fought crime without the need for a mask, or weapons. I believe this is merely the Joker trying to tarnish the reputation of a great man as he sits on the edge of death.

In less eventful news, the GCPD have released the official details of the "Catwoman" and the "Penny Plunderer". The latter has been sitting on our newdesk for a while, but as you know, we have had more pressing issues to look into.

ENGEL: Felicity Esprit, also known as the Catwoman, was arrested by Captain Gordon himself on the second night of this unusual crime wave. She was either released for unknown reasons or escaped, a definite answer has not been forthcoming. Miss Esprit is wanted for outstanding charges of grand larceny, assault, breaking and entering, and more. She owns a pet store in the dark red district. This is her mugshot here. If you know Miss Esprit, or if you have any information pertaining to her whereabouts, please do not approach her, and instead contact the authorities. She is considered extremely dangerous.

ENGEL: Lincoln Jarvis, also known as the Penny Plunderer, was also personally arrested by Captain Gordon on several counts of first and second degree murder, minor larceny, resisting arrest, assault on a police officer, assault and battery, obstruction of justice, arson, and others. He is an employee at the Matalico metalworks shop, and has been released for unknown reasons or has somehow escaped. This is his mugshot. Jarvis is considered armed and dangerous. If you know anything about his current whereabouts, or know Jarvis personally, you are encouraged to avoid all contact and inform the authorities.

Another dark night for Gotham City. How can Gotham survive with two competing maniacs who both promise us destruction with opposite intents? One can only hope that more details will be amassed on these other criminals, and that in time, the net will only widen to catch these bastards.

P

Penny Plunderer

What in sam hill? I'm not armed and dangerous, not anymore. I went to a therapist to help me with my problems who I am seeing regularly. I did this shortly after getting out of jail. I have a severe case of Schizophrenia and my doctor has given me medication to help me handle my situation alot better. My blackouts end much shorter than usual thanks to my meds. I'm harmless now. I was released from prison, so why are you guys putting my name on there? I don't see you guys listing every criminal that gets out of jail, so why me? I was released from jail in a legal way. Catwoman's method of escape was illegal if memory serves me right.

Oh, there was one more thing that the police forgot to mention about Catwoman though. Catwoman was blackmailing the police with a video of some sorts. Her lawyer or one of her friends has it. She even managed to get a prison guard to beat me up just because she doesn't like me. How messed up is that, people? All this shows is how corrupt the police really are if they're beating up a criminal, a mentally ill one no less, for no reason. And if she is blackmailing them, then that means that one or several officers have done something very wrong to somebody. Do you guys really want to be living in a place full of corrupt cops? I know I don't.

Catwoman

Meow!

ENGEL: Felicity Esprit, also known as the Catwoman, was arrested by Captain Gordon himself on the second night of this unusual crime wave. She was either released for unknown reasons or escaped, a definite answer has not been forthcoming. Miss Esprit is wanted for outstanding charges of grand larceny, assault, breaking and entering, and more. She owns a pet store in the dark red district. This is her mugshot here. If you know Miss Esprit, or if you have any information pertaining to her whereabouts, please do not approach her, and instead contact the authorities. She is considered extremely dangerous.
Not necessarily the most flattering picture, but you'll have to forgive me - it is my mugshot, after all. To those of you who haven't seen me in a while and care about me, know that while I always appreciated your friendships, there is nothing you can or should do to convince me of a life apart from the one I have chosen. The pet shop, Gotham Unleashed, is still in my name, but the paperwork will be filed immediately to have it given to my two assistant managers. If you couldn't tell from the recent news, I'm going to be perfectly secure financially for a long, long time.

And yes, I am extremely dangerous. But that doesn't mean I'm no fun.

What in sam hill? I'm not armed and dangerous, not anymore. I went to a therapist to help me with my problems who I am seeing regularly. I did this shortly after getting out of jail. I have a severe case of Schizophrenia and my doctor has given me medication to help me handle my situation alot better. My blackouts end much shorter than usual thanks to my meds. I'm harmless now. I was released from prison, so why are you guys putting my name on there? I don't see you guys listing every criminal that gets out of jail, so why me? I was released from jail in a legal way. Catwoman's method of escape was illegal if memory serves me right.

Oh, there was one more thing that the police forgot to mention about Catwoman though. Catwoman was blackmailing the police with a video of some sorts. Her lawyer or one of her friends has it. She even managed to get a prison guard to beat me up just because she doesn't like me. How messed up is that, people? All this shows is how corrupt the police really are if they're beating up a criminal, a mentally ill one no less, for no reason. And if she is blackmailing them, then that means that one or several officers have done something very wrong to somebody. Do you guys really want to be living in a place full of corrupt cops? I know I don't.
Oh, please, Jarvis. The things you have done, both published in the news and kept undisclosed, are absolutely unforgivable. You're a train wreck. You're a cop killer and sickness is no excuse. You know exactly why your identity is being revealed, and if you think you're clever enough to play dumb and stay in the shadows then you truly underestimate those around you.

I can blackmail whomever I want for almost any reason I see fit. I'm sexy like that. I have multiple lawyers. That prison guard kicked your *** because you are insignificant, you took the life of a good cop, and you were causing increasingly major disturbances. If I recall correctly, you are so pitifully lost in your little world that you masturbated in public and have no control over your bodily functions.

You only continue to prove how irrevocably pathetic you are. Why did you turn to crime? You managed a bank, went to lunch at the same time every day, got noticed, got beaten, and got robbed? All that was left was pennies? That's your shtick? Please, you'd be better off dead. Playing the pity card, "Oh I have a mental disease!" is not going to get you off the hook. In fact, its going to get you sent to Arkham Asylum. And we all know what happens to people in there.

P

Penny Plunderer

Oh, please, Jarvis. The things you have done, both published in the news and kept undisclosed, are absolutely unforgivable. You're a train wreck. You're a cop killer and sickness is no excuse. You know exactly why your identity is being revealed, and if you think you're clever enough to play dumb and stay in the shadows then you truly underestimate those around you.
No, to be honest I don't know why my identity is being revealed. I was a train wreck earlier, but now I got help and I am a normal commuting citizen of Gotham again, hoping to atone for The Penny Plunderer's sins. One of my atonements was my idea of the Mayor Garcia statue and I helped create it. Some people may not have cared for Garcia, but he didn't deserve the horrific death he had gotten. He was trying to do what was best for Gotham and I am as sure as **** that we probably would've made mistakes like he did. During the time he was mayor, at least five of the major crims here in Gotham's latest crime spree was captured. The statue was made in honor of one of our fallen heroes, and it wasn't just for him alone, it was also meant as a memorial for all of those who have perished in this crime spree.

I can blackmail whomever I want for almost any reason I see fit. I'm sexy like that. I have multiple lawyers. That prison guard kicked your *** because you are insignificant, you took the life of a good cop, and you were causing increasingly major disturbances. If I recall correctly, you are so pitifully lost in your little world that you masturbated in public and have no control over your bodily functions.
No, you're not sexy. You're a cruel woman who gets kicks from other people's misery just like how you got that guard to beat me up. And seeing as you just admitted to many of your crimes, I don't think the jury is gonna look kindly on you if you get arrested again. I can't undo what The Penny Plunderer has done, all I can do is to try to cage the beast the best that I can and hopefully stop it from doing any more harm. I don't want to kill people, I just want my life back. Wait, a tick since when did I masturbate in public? I don't remember that at all. As for the bodily functions, I'm not sure what you're talking about either.

You only continue to prove how irrevocably pathetic you are. Why did you turn to crime? You managed a bank, went to lunch at the same time every day, got noticed, got beaten, and got robbed? All that was left was pennies? That's your shtick? Please, you'd be better off dead. Playing the pity card, "Oh I have a mental disease!" is not going to get you off the hook.
There's quite a bit of info that you left out, Cat*****. And speaking of pathetic, you should look in a mirror. I am not pathetic, I am stronger than you. I have admitted my problem and I am trying my best to fix them so that hopefully they will never happen again and I have been trying to atone for what The Penny Plunderer has done. Oh, you might wanna get that broomstick out of your ***.

In fact, its going to get you sent to Arkham Asylum. And we all know what happens to people in there.
Sigh, Catwoman that stuff (if that's what you're implying) happens in prisons, not asylums.

Catwoman

Meow!
No, to be honest I don't know why my identity is being revealed. I was a train wreck earlier, but now I got help and I am a normal commuting citizen of Gotham again, hoping to atone for The Penny Plunderer's sins. One of my atonements was my idea of the Mayor Garcia statue and I helped create it. Some people may not have cared for Garcia, but he didn't deserve the horrific death he had gotten. He was trying to do what was best for Gotham and I am as sure as **** that we probably would've made mistakes like he did. During the time he was mayor, at least five of the major crims here in Gotham's latest crime spree was captured. The statue was made in honor of one of our fallen heroes, and it wasn't just for him alone, it was also meant as a memorial for all of those who have perished in this crime spree.
If you aren't going to admit your guilt, then you either are too immature to own up to your actions or you are still not fully in control of your other personality. Either way, you are shrinking from responsibility and hiding behind petty figures.

No, you're not sexy. You're a cruel woman who gets kicks from other people's misery just like how you got that guard to beat me up. And seeing as you just admitted to many of your crimes, I don't think the jury is gonna look kindly on you if you get arrested again. I can't undo what The Penny Plunderer has done, all I can do is to try to cage the beast the best that I can and hopefully stop it from doing any more harm. I don't want to kill people, I just want my life back. Wait, a tick since when did I masturbate in public? I don't remember that at all. As for the bodily functions, I'm not sure what you're talking about either.
I never asked for your approval, and I feel sickly sorry for anyone who would. And you think I care to hide from my actions? I leave calling cards, dear fool.

There's quite a bit of info that you left out, Cat*****. And speaking of pathetic, you should look in a mirror. I am not pathetic, I am stronger than you. I have admitted my problem and I am trying my best to fix them so that hopefully they will never happen again and I have been trying to atone for what The Penny Plunderer has done. Oh, you might wanna get that broomstick out of your ***.
"Look in a mirror?" "Broomstick?" I don't even think I need to grace such juvenile language with a retort.

P

Penny Plunderer

If you aren't going to admit your guilt, then you either are too immature to own up to your actions or you are still not fully in control of your other personality. Either way, you are shrinking from responsibility and hiding behind petty figures.
I think you meant "Shirking", not shrinking. And I can't control my personality, I can only try to suppress it with my medications.

Catwoman

Meow!
Do you really want a lesson in rhetoric over the Gotham airwaves?

You can both shrink from responsibility and shirk responsibility, but you cannot 'shirk from responsibility.'

How pathetic are you, to devolve argument to semantics and still be wrong?

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Gotham Gazette November 6th, 2008

What Makes a Hero? By Vicki Vale

A shot taken by a pedestrian of the Batman soaring over the city.

A mask and or a cape does not a hero make - a lesson that the city of Gotham is doomed to live out at a terrible price. Figures make themselves known to the public through acts of brutality or heroism, some with elaborate costumes and monikers, others with their faces shown bravely and known well to the public. Can we rely on our new heroes? We don't even have a choice. It's hard enough to keep up our daily lives in all this stress, to hold down a regular job in this ever-recovering economy, while these figures dominate the news and shape our city however they please. It's almost infuriating how little we know about these secretive lawbreakers.

After the Batman's recent escapades against the Joker a few days ago, almost nothing has been heard from the masked vigilante. As if the crime spree has ended in his mind, he has all but stopped villains from their usual acts of violence and mayhem. As the Black Mask holds our fair city ransom, and the Joker promises to punish us if we give in, we are stuck between a spike and a sharp place. And for those of us who look to the caped crusader for help, we have all but lost hope.

His new ally, the Robin, has been doing the bit of crimefighting. But will he be able to net the same results? He has been seen around town, notably near the scene of the Cool Breeze cult murders and the subway train massacre, helping civillians the best he can.

Speaking of the horrible events of the train massacre, another curious figure was spotted lending a helping hand - the Catwoman. GCPD officers and disaster responders report that she was found diving down into the water numerous times to free trapped and drowning civilians. When approached in the end to be questioned and arrested, she simply escaped. What is her deal, anyway?

The case of Hush has been kept under wraps fairly well until recently, when he was spotted with a strange fellow in Renaissance attire. This Ruffian has been reported around Gotham stopping violence and quelling trouble. And we know almost nothing about him.

Nothing. Our lives are defined by a handful of men who take it upon themselves to decide who lives and who dies. As time marches on and many masked men make mayhem and muddle our streets with murder, we simply stand aside as spectators, reporting the wreckless results of their rampages as fewer folks don disguises and feel the desire to fight the darkness.

Winner Takes All By Alexander Knox

A completely dead Amusement Mile, just after police left the scene.

It was 9 PM at the Dice Casino. As usual, the casino played host to a clientele of dead beats, losers, and criminals. However, something strange was going to happen at the casino tonight.

A man walked in wearing an overcoat and fedora. He approached the most expensive craps table, a common meeting ground for high level members of various crime families, including the biggest in Gotham City. Tonight, the men around the table reputedly had ties to figures such as Falcone, "the Chechen", and Roland Gambol.

Here's where things get really strange. Witnesses report that the man, who no one has been able to identify, threatened the men with a bomb which he had hidden inside his overcoat. He didn't demand cash or weapons. Instead, he wanted their cell phones. He got them. These hardened criminals meekly handed over their phones, and allowed the man in the overcoat to leave unchallenged. In fact, the men he had just threatened politely waited for him to exit the building before even leaving their seats.

It was only then that they got up, and bolted for the door. At the same time, the building's fire alarm was triggered by persons unknown. As soon as the men got outside, they were greeted with a barrage of gunfire, coming from a man leaning out the window of a black Cadillac parked outside. He fired only two handguns, but was able to kill all the men leaving the casino, as well as six civilians who happened to be nearby. In total, twenty-one people died as a result of the attack.

Although witnesses were unable to identify the man or men behind the attack, they did confirm that this was not that handiwork of the Joker, at least not directly. Instead, it seems as though this may be the work of a new criminal, or perhaps an attack from one of the lesser gangs.

Even so, it is hard to say what the purpose of the attack was. And what does the criminal plan to do with the cell phones? He now has the phone numbers of a large portion of the leaders of this city's organized crime. How does he intend to use this knowledge?

So far, it seems impossible to know.

Two Silvers for the Ferryman By Stanton Kiel

A photograph of just one of the many coins being looked at by museum curators.

Some American treasures are coming to Gotham's Museum of Culture and History today. A collection of many historic and singular coins will be on display for two weeks.

Included in this newly amassed collection is the first ever penny, nickel, dime, and quarter ever minted in the United States of America. There are also several of the famous 1804 Silver Dollars. There is a "perfect quarter" created by craftsman Michael F. Scott, said to be absolutely perfectly balanced for coin flipping.

There are also several very rare "misprints." There is a 1943 Copper Penny, of which there are less than 40 to be known in existence, since pennies at the time were made from Zinc-coated steel due to the need of Copper and Nickel in the war effort. There are also 12 1962 "Arbor Nickels" which read "LIBERTREE" instead of "LIBERTY" as well as "Queen's Quarters" which feature a portrait of Queen Elizabeth instead of George Washington, the result of famous pranks by dirty hippies and British loyalists, respectively.

The value of the coin collection is estimated at $3.5 million, and the list of rare and fascinating pieces is too long to detail here, but admission to the exhibit will be free, and is sure to interest even those who do not believe that coin collecting is "The Hobby of Kings and the King of Hobbies."

Today's Population: 5,596,976

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer

"And that was Frank Black's Man of Steel. The life of the superhero must be a lonely one, and confusing, but Batman -- we need you.

Good morning, Gotham, or at least as good as it can be, under the circumstances. You're with Louis Tarnidge on GCRX, the Cold Room.

Today I'd like to offer a moment of silence for those who perished in the L-train bombing last night. Police have been unwilling to shed any light as to the culprit. Pulling off something of this scale would require considerable talents, as the death toll tallies somewhere just over one hundred and twenty.

Some people insist it was the work of Black Mask. However, I saw Wayne Tower as a demonstration -- does it seem akin to his character to commit random acts of violence without first threatening them? A man couldn't hope to claim his ransom if he were to continue with such behavior, as we'd be foolish to think any amount of money would do any more than to expand his empire of terror.

Kurt Tessle, the Killer Croc, may have been a suspect, had we not witnessed his death with our own eyes several nights ago. His modus operandi was clearly related to the destruction of the city's image and, yes, complacency. Too confident were we before this crime wave began that the presence of Batman and the increased civic efforts of Captain Gordon and D.A. Harvey Dent would go unanswered by an equivalent escalation of violent crime.

But Tessle is dead, and if Black Mask were the culprit, I ask what the percentage is in random destruction he had not already promised.

For my end of it, I'd put all bets on the Joker. It seems of his nature to slaughter so many and kill a public figure as a kind of exclamation point. Then again, who can really make a proper guess as to his nature, of all people?

It is to a bittersweet tone that I have the otherwise-honor of announcing the result of the elections.

In the Presidential Elections, despite the delays in receiving Gotham's votes, Barack Obama has been designated the President-Elect.

In our municipal elections, few will be surprised that Rupert Thorne has been elected our mayor. Without a present mayor to finish their term, Mayor Thorne is expected to commence his duties immediately.

On the Joker, and his character -- I would hope that Batman has an idea. I've always been a believer, even in the wake of his charges and possible arrest. Batman, I beg of you -- and even your detractors, like Mike Engel, I believe they too beg of you -- please execute whatever plans you have been storing away. Now, with Rupert Thorne as our mayor, is the time for action. Now is the time for change.

Drop us a line, request a tune, pay your respects, or just air your laundry. We'd love to hear it."

B

Black Mask

In all honesty, I am quite surprised. Even after my blatant threat regarding ex-Mayor Hill the Joker still manages to kidnap, torture, and kill him. It gets me thinking of what MCU and GCPD were doing all that time... Then there's the cops taking orders from the Catwoman. It is exactly this corruption I want purged. I guess I now know exactly where to start weeding out the tendrils that are choking this city to death.

And I've already taken the liberty of starting early.

Commissioner Loeb is dead. To the person who succeeds his position... please take care to do a better job or you might end up retired as well.

The Black Mask has spoken.

TheJoker

Clown Prince
BRoomer
Ho ho! He started early he said!

More like he got beaten to the bunch and had to settle for less. Boo hoo to the mask. I hope he didn't cry too often

B

Black Mask

I had already killed Loeb before I threatened Hill. In fact, I used Loeb's head to alert MCU of my threat by sending it straight through their window. I believe that constitutes as "early".

TheJoker

Clown Prince
BRoomer
So you couldn't even get to kill a public figure when I beat you to the punch? How embarrassing!

Catwoman

Meow!
Couldn't kill one? No, Joker, I believe he just proved that he killed one, Loeb.

Beat him to the punch? If he was going to kill Hill, and then you killed Hill, I doubt its a loss on his part.

R

Rupert Thorne

First of all, thank you for your votes, but don't expect any speeches. There are far more important things going on right now than to take the time to congratulate myself of winning by default. To those of you who were with me before the deaths of the late Garcia and now Hill, I assure I will do my best to handle this situation promptly and decisively.

As for the death of commissioner Loeb, I have yet to have this confirmed to me. When I have had this proven, I will make a decision to put a new commissioner in place promptly. And it will definitely be someone worth the position.

P

Penny Plunderer

I don't believe that Black Mask has killed Loeb. Wouldn't we have heard this on the news or on the newspaper already? I'd want to see proof of this. This just seems like you're saying that just to prove the Joker wrong. Secondly, why were you blowing up buildings, Black Mask? It seems like a bad move for you because if you eventually get your money and control of Gotham, then you're gonna have to use a lot of it on making new buildings, cleaning up the mess from the destruction, etc plus any other plans that you may have in store. Plus, since you're making the city pay for it, you are only making more people poor. Poverty is one of the main reasons that people turn to crime. More people may start stealing, killing, and lots of other stuff. You would only be creating what you are trying to purge and it seems like you're only hurting yourself by doing that. Now, I'm not trying to insult you or anything but this just seems like a bad move on your part. Why didn't you just run for mayor backduring the campaigning time as your normal self before you started your crimes? It would've saved you alot of money because then you wouldn't have to blow up buildings like Wayne Tower and you could possibly still be able to do your changes (depending on which are legal and which aren't).

As for you Mayor Thorne, good luck to you sir because you're gonna need it. If I was able to vote I would've voted for you. And I don't think it wouldn't take much thought as to who you would pick for Commissioner, assuming Loeb is indeed dead.

B

Black Mask

Personally, I don't care where the money's from. But as said before, I will burn Gotham to the ground and rebuild it if I must in order to accomplish my goals.

C

Carmine Falcone

And what exactly is your goal, Black Mask? To be a king of a smoldering crater?

I'll tell you this much, Mask. F*** Garcia, **** Hill, and **** Thorne. This is my town. You keep pushing, you're going to force me to push back.

B

Black Mask

Weren't listening, Falcone? I intend to restore Gotham City to its former glory, whether you push back or not. How I go about it is a choice given entirely to the people of the city.

Top Bottom