• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
darkrain is the most ridiculous tech chaser. i dont understand... *head explodes*

also LOOOL at Magus

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I wish I watched that anime now so I could be in on the funny >_>

Someone though! When you tech chase spacies on an uthrow, can you do it purely on reaction?

DrewB008

Smash Lord
most people can regrab if they tech to either side on reaction

especially studly people can react to the tech in place and grab, but these people are few and far between

nobody can react with a stomp or knee that i know of

Dark_Crono

Smash Journeyman
most people can regrab if they tech to either side on reaction

especially studly people can react to the tech in place and grab, but these people are few and far between

nobody can react with a stomp or knee that i know of
So youre saying that theres a huge difference between techchasing by reaction with a stomp or knee than with a grab?.

Milos

Smash Lord
CC grab utilts at low percents.

Shield fsmashes and grab if they're close enough or dair oos to setup tech chases and stuff.

If you can't powershield lasers consistently, try and jump around them and get in close. If he shoots a high laser raptor boost under or just run up and knee him in the face. Get in close and nair grab at low percents

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Falco can CC the nair at low enough percents, i'm pretty sure, so be weary. If you hit him in the air with it you might be able to regrab. My falcon experience is limited pretty much to what i've seen others do

metashinryu

Smash Ace
hey shoudnt someone put a sticky or some crap topic for all this stupid reply wars about ss=darkrain to take place there? i mean a popular topic for exclusively those debatimg stuff and let this be *Ask Scar & Big D Melee Falcon Questions* thread and not *put all the **** you want here cuz nobody cares really*

and as for the topic:scar CAN YOU PUT THAT THREAD ON FALCON BOARDS???

zSkin

Smash Rookie
back to a topic from a epic while ago.

Moonwalking

Practice with bunny hood, way easier i perfected moonwalking in 5-10 minutes with bunny hood and then without it came natural somehow

Scar

#HarveyDent
So youre saying that theres a huge difference between techchasing by reaction with a stomp or knee than with a grab?.
yeah huge difference, reaction means that you see what they do and then react to it, I don't think there are even enough frames to react to tech in place with a shffl'd aerial.
Yo Scar

I'm playing a spammy Falco

all he does is spam Utilt OVER AND OVER for damage

moves with Fsmash

and constantly spams lasers
jesus christ i have nightmares about these guys.

the fsmash thing is actually going to be his one weakness, you can definitely run in and shield that and turn it into a grab for you, it has a ton of hitstun tho and it's out forever so i def wouldn't try to DD grab it unless you have a lot of experience and know the move really well

utilt ***** you. it ***** your approach, it ***** your combos, it combos you really well, it just sucks. odds are he spams it incorrectly tho and you can get around it, just never jump in at him and definitely dont jump OOS ever. also a lot of the time if you fB at close range they will utilt as soon as you do it, which means your firefist will uppercut them in the cooldown lag

lasers are gay, learn to powershield asap and otherwise dj around to negotiate space, make sure to never get hit out of your dj tho. shield then wd or DJ oos, try not to roll much. nair jumps over low lasers, try to nair simply to move around but don't get punished for it

more to come in the matchup thread
I used to adamantly think that Darkrain was better than SS.

After seeing mango juice videos I am thoroughly convinced SS is the best falcon ever.
May I ask which matches? And why?

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Q:What is the best thing you can do as falcon against marth when your on the edge and he's spaces at that perfect range where if you roll you get grabed/f-smashed and if you get up you get tipperd and if you jump he can just jump up and nair you back off. Maybe wavedash onto stage while shielding idk any thoughts cause I always end up dying.
What works for me is to ledgehop onto the stage and immediately waveland offstage. Hopefully this baits an fsmash or a grab and you can immediately jump back onto the stage after the waveland and punish as you're landing (stomp usually, or knee) or else escape.

tubes

Smash Ace
What works for me is to ledgehop onto the stage and immediately waveland offstage. Hopefully this baits an fsmash or a grab and you can immediately jump back onto the stage after the waveland and punish as you're landing (stomp usually, or knee) or else escape.
On yoshi's you can waveland off the stage, jump back up and waveland on the above platform. It's very quick and sets you up for a counterattack.

Scar

#HarveyDent
yeah generally vs marth you really do need to fake him out, fsmash covers so many options and him waiting for a grab is deadly too

wavelanding on and buffering a roll is pretty good, waveland>shield never works ever =/ so don't try it

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Kage when will you be in the states again? I should have played you more at pound 3

Falcon Q: When can you do drop zone? Is it a matter of your opponent's DI, their percent, or a combination of the two?r

Ja

Smash Journeyman
What are some good tech chasing options when they hit a side platform? Two common situations:

1) CF is right beneath platform when they hit it.

2) CF has to run to the platform they hit. Cf is at most 1/2 pokestadium distance from platform.

I guess just limit it to BF and PS platforms because those are the "most normal" platforms.

I have the most trouble when they dont tech for some reason.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I've just been wondering over this question for the past couple of days, and I don't know really which way to think.

Which is the more preferable way to do throws, with the control stick or the c-stick? Or does it not even matter?

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
Kage when will you be in the states again? I should have played you more at pound 3

Falcon Q: When can you do drop zone? Is it a matter of your opponent's DI, their percent, or a combination of the two?r
isnt it un escapable? i mean you might not get the knee but if the di away theres enough stun to dj uair them. or am i wrong?

Scar

#HarveyDent
dropzone is kind of silly, it works on fox/falco/falcon and sometimes on other heavy characters, i've only really done it consistently vs sheik

anyways yes it's dependent on both DI and percent, vs fox and falco they can frequently shine you out of dzone so its easier to do vs falco, and you can always react to the DI, it's not like away DI takes you by surprise, you see them fly too far away for the knee to connect

the best advice i can give is to practice it in friendlies, get used to when you hit and when you whiff and whether to knee or whether to go for a bair stage spike or maybe just to abort and jump back onstage. don't worry if you SD in friendlies because learning dzone is important: when it hits it's a stock and it's worth it.

you SHOULD however practice on your own the recovery timing. i can consistently land on the stage after dzone knee and i consistently grab the ledge after dzone dair, make that timing as tight as you can

tech chasing on platforms:

1) CF is right beneath platform when they hit it.

2) CF has to run to the platform they hit. Cf is at most 1/2 pokestadium distance from platform.
If you predict the missed tech everything works, like you uthrow sheik at 30 and she lands on the plat you just run and uair her, as though the platform isn't even there.

most of the time since this is so easy people will tech, so similarly you want to predict where they will tech and wait and THEN uair them, knee actually hits on YS and pokemon vs certain characters when you're under the platform and they're on it

your options are the same whether you have to run to the platform or you're right under it, besides kneeing, which works way better under the platform. predict the tech, wait for it and either uair the whole platform (or as much of it as you can), jump above them and dair (ss and darkrain do this a lot), or even jumping above them and kneeing on your way down works fine

if they miss the tech and you didn't predict it the best thing is to just wait there and bait a getup attack, but this is by far the hardest thing to punish. if they have slow reaction time you can wait there for a while and then uair as fast as you can, sometimes it'll catch them by surprise.
Which is the more preferable way to do throws, with the control stick or the c-stick? Or does it not even matter?
it shouldn't matter. i don't think anyone uses the cstick though, i have no idea if it's more accurate or whatever with throws

metashinryu

Smash Ace
Whoa, so you basically moved all the recent stuff and moved it to another thread?
thanks god you took me serious:)

i have a question: what can i do for approaching matters with falcon? i have a friend of mine who is a freaking beast with link and can **** the shiz outta me because i cant even touch him, he runs into me with a nair i cant counter unless i shield grab him but then he gets the hang of it and turns it around:(

Ja

Smash Journeyman
if they miss the tech and you didn't predict it the best thing is to just wait there and bait a getup attack, but this is by far the hardest thing to punish. if they have slow reaction time you can wait there for a while and then uair as fast as you can, sometimes it'll catch them by surprise.
What are some ways to bait a getup attack (platforms and ground)? Just assume for some reason they're lying there and they are no longer stunned.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
what do i do when everytime i approach someone with aerial - gentleman he drops his shield after the aerial and CCs the gentleman into a grab and it works EVERY time? even if i get only one two or all three hits of the gentleman i always get CC grabbed at like <50%

DippnDots

Feral Youth
what do i do when everytime i approach someone with aerial - gentleman he drops his shield after the aerial and CCs the gentleman into a grab and it works EVERY time? even if i get only one two or all three hits of the gentleman i always get CC grabbed at like <50%
don't do it at a such a low percent then. If you want, when you land it get out a jab or two then buffer a roll before the gentlemen. You gotta play a game that'll keep him guessing.

What are some ways to bait a getup attack (platforms and ground)? Just assume for some reason they're lying there and they are no longer stunned.
run up next to them and put your shield up whne their animation begins, then you can shield grab them after the get-up attack hits your shield. Powershield it to look pro.

Scar

#HarveyDent
on the platforms jumping straight up through them usually does the trick, then double jump and come down with an aerial. smarter players won't fall for this so you can waveland on the platform and then try to react to the getup attack w/ your shield

if they're lying on the ground generally running up to them will prompt them to use a getup attack, so in anticipation you can run up and shield or run up and quickly double jump. once they getup attack they are pretty vulnerable so you can do whatever you want to punish them if you baited it properly
you can do anything you want tbh. unless it's sheik or jiggs and you know they're gonna cc that sounds like a free grab to me, run in and hit their shield, space yourself basically on top of them, hold L on your l-cancel and mash A to shieldgrab

also you should work on aerial>dash, which can't be grabbed depending on which move and your spacing, and also aerial to buffer roll. gentleman is preferred to jabbing once or twice but it's not completely safe

as a final thought you could cancel gentleman into raptor boost, falcon kick, or fsmash to avoid the grab.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
i am completely new to falcon i can shffl pretty well, chain grab, and i try to tech chase but i really dont know anything about the falcon. So could anyone help with combos and advanced techs if there are any. Any info i would love to hear and im already reading character match ups.

ps- i've heard that n-air combos great but idk how to combo with it at all and to Scar to yu use c-stick for all your aerials or the A button or a mix of the 2

tubes

Smash Ace
i am completely new to falcon i can shffl pretty well, chain grab, and i try to tech chase but i really dont know anything about the falcon. So could anyone help with combos and advanced techs if there are any. Any info i would love to hear and im already reading character match ups.

ps- i've heard that n-air combos great but idk how to combo with it at all and to Scar to yu use c-stick for all your aerials or the A button or a mix of the 2
everything combos with falcon. you just gotta be able to do it quick enough.

Kike_Ichigo

Smash Cadet

Mix both of them... some times I use the A for some aerials but with Dairs I use most of time de C-stick

Ja

Smash Journeyman
Cause it's ****ing annoying. Whenever someone tells you anything you never know if it's true or not. Plus a ton of websites become less useful because guess what it's april ****ing fools and they want to **** around and piss off their viewers with false information.

Top Bottom