• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this statement true or false?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Really?

It seems like the answer, or at least an answer from someone who has long pondered on this topic might be lingering somewhere on the Internet, but I will give this a try myself.

I have come to a conclusion that this statement cannot be true.
-Statement =/= False.
-If it is true, you are lying.

If you are telling the truth, then of course you would be insinuating that that "statement" in particular is equal to the following word false, which is not true, thus making it false, thus making you tell the truth, but not making the statement true.

Ask yourself... What would make this statement true?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know I'm not supposed to post in here, but this one has a factual answer.

A "statement" is defined as something which is either true or false. The sentences:

"This statement is false"
or
"Everything i say is a lie"

Are not statements. They are neither true nor false. They are worded in English similarly to other sentences which ARE statements, but these ones are not.

It would be the same as me asking: Is this sentence true or false?

"How do you feel today?"

That sentence is neither true nor false. It is not a statement.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Actually, there is a distinct difference between "This statement is false" and "Everything I say is a lie"; while "This statement is false" has a possible truth value, "Everything I say is a lie" is simply a false dilemma since a human element has been added where the speaker could occasionally both lie and tell the truth.

Edit: Needed to remove the word "statements".

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Perhaps I should have worded it as "Everything I say is false" (which encompasses the sentence "This statement is false")

No matter what, neither are statements.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
You are right AltF4, but I'm focusing more on provability rather than simply semantics.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
This statement is false.

The classic liar paradox, discuss.
The "statement" is kind of pointless, because it is both true and false. It is true in the sense that if it is false it is true and vice versa. So it is meaningless, unless it refers to another statement. For example, "This statement is false: apples fall upwards from trees."

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Let's define the word recursive:
dictionary.com said:
pertaining to or using a rule or procedure that can be applied repeatedly.
I find the sentence to be unimportant. <_<

Here's why:

The statement says nothing about anything but itself. Without outside reason for it to be important, it has no importance, and the answer is not worth forming for that reason. It's kind of like "what's x divided by zero?"

"Clearly if you look at a graph, x/0 is positive and negative infinity," ect.

Ask it like this, and I'm sure ALT would agree:

How would you tell this to a computer? Computers do not do useless commands. They can do anything you can think, although for some things they may be slow, if it is logical, they can do it:). They think of true and false in terms of 0 = false, and [not 0] = true. You can tell it "x(){x(this)!=x(this) " and that will never return an answer because it will keep doing x() until x() gives a good answer, and it never will.

Recursive questions require recursive answers. Not always, but in this case it sure does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom