• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 'Item Standard Play' Thread (65k views. Not bad for a side project, huh? :P + Poll in OP)

Do you agree that items should be tested before they are banned in SSB4?

• Total voters

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Tch, shame... Timer is banned.... but I suppose it IS unfair. Especially if you're playing Lucario. If it works right, he can cause some serious pain at high speed, and if it backfires? Double Team Spamming FTW.

Ukemi

Smash Apprentice
Has there been any discussion of moving the status of certain stages from counterpick/whatever to banned/whatever? Are there any items or stages that when combined would make the game less "playable"?

DugFinn

Smash Apprentice
Quick update on the video from the last ISP tourney. The guy that has the videos on his modded Wii says that they are in some funky file type, so he's getting that program and hardware that lets you record the match directly to the computer as a avi. He's ordered it already, so it's just a matter of time now. Hopefully it won't take too much longer.

In other news, I've been getting a lot of interest in the ISP tourney for Whobo. This is going to be massive. Oh, pre-reg ends this weekend. So if you haven't pre-reg'ed go do it now!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216278

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Wario, Wario, Wario.

Great mobility means he can get to items faster and is harder to hit. 2v2 means his air release nonsense doesn't matter.

Game and Watch could probably do some Bucket combos, too.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Yeah, it is. I'm sorry we couldn't do it, but it WAS Easter Sunday... Almost no one was even IN the game room this morning, and the ones who were there weren't entering the tournament. M2K and Inui actually showed up for it, but there just weren't enough people for an actual tournament. Sorry, dude.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Did ISP really get cancelled? I just came in here to look for results and now I find this out. Lame. At least M2K and Inui came.

If I had been able to go to WHOBO, I totally would've stayed for ISP.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Well, the 1v1 did. 2v2 totally kicked ***, though; you should have seen it. We had a few round 1 issues with getting people to understand rules and such, but after that it was smooth sailing; I only wish I had my recording equipment set up on Friday.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'm sorry about that. We decided that it would be too much of a pain to try to explain counterpicking items to everyone (apparently, they had a hard time with that last tourney).

DugFinn

Smash Apprentice
All tournaments on Sunday were canceled, not just 1v1 ISP. Even Street Fighter. It was due to Easter Sunday and many people had Easter related stuff to do.

On Fri, ISP 2v2 was AMAZING! 30 teams signed up! So, 1v1 would have done wonderful if it had not been on Sunday. Lots of players wanted to sign up, but couldn't because they had to leave to catch flights or for Church stuff.

1v1 ISP got canceled because of Easter Sunday, NOT because of lack of interest.

gah I was so looking forward too it! Next time use dugfins projector to have a giant copy of the rules on the wall
^^^ This is a smart man with a genius idea. It will be done at the next ISP tourney.

Results!!!

2v2 ISP - 30 teams entered!

1: Inui and M2K
2: Butthole perfect
3: We abuse the homeless
4: Soul Cal *****
5: your speed does not amuse us
5: dallasfinals
7: saiyan approved
7: 5 letter s word
9: Slippery sausage
9: Furious burrito
9: Broken arrow
9: WTF Is M2k? (Male Platypus and Slaps)
13: PK Egg
13: LAIN GOT ROBBED!!!
13: Defatbi
13: PK arrow (pierre + seiya)
17: The Unstoppable Metaknights
17: We Buzzin'
17: Chaosplayed
17: Adament
17: Fogo Lets us hang out with him sometimes (furbs + mikeHaze)
17: Trollin' (Folsil + troopa)
17: Up the butt
17: Stellar heroes
25: 2d accupuncter
25: R.O.Y
25: Bork3n Arrowz (esca + hyrulian Royalty)
25: Seppuku
25: blank
25: Blood red magic

1v1 ISP -
We canceled all tournaments on Sunday. It was a hard decision, but many players told us that since it was Easter weekend, they would have to leave either Sat night or Sun morning. So, a full fledged tournament would have not been possible. I take full responsibility for the schedule and will make sure that NO tournaments gets put on Sunday next year. That said, the people that did sign up and did show up for the 1v1 ISP included M2K, Inui, Hylian, DSF, Lee Martin, Sethlon, Male Platypus, T-Rex, Mr. 3000 and more. Soooooo, it would've been freakin' amazing....

Conclusion: ISP has much potential!
Everything went kicka$$, but many players have yet to fully learn the ruleset, so, I'll take Arturito's brilliant idea and project the ruleset onto the wall at the next ISP tourney we host. But now that many players from around the US have been introduced to ISP, it's going to be an interesting ride to see what happens next...

Photos...

Whobo results thread in general: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=229419

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Personally, I think that WHOBO was plenty proof that, properly implemented, there is nothing epicly broken about items. In fact, they actually seem to make gameplay, dare I say... better. :p

...and that was without CP's and with a modified item list, too!

§leepy God

Smash Master
Something to note: Japanese Brawl has items on in normal doubles.
I think that's better when it come's to item play. For example on Doubles you want Smash Balls on when you Counter Pick, you might have a character that own with their Final Smash, but might fry your teammate as well. My saying, Team Attack should be on because of some items that's allowed like Assist Trophies, Smash Balls, etc.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
I would suggest to ban Warp Stars. (At least Counterpick).
The dont have any risk and can kill at relativily low %s. (+Big Range).

I also want to say that I like to play only with food on low ^^
It's really cool and things like planking become useless ;D
Also Stages like Smashville and Yoshis Island get a little extra :p
I would like to have this standard ruleset but I know this will never be x)

Neon304

Smash Apprentice
I really wish I knew about this sooner. It looks like quite a bit of time and thought has went into this, and after reading, I believe I'll use these rules for a new tournament circuit over at Smash Brawl Rankings. Thanks to everyone involved in making this thread, it really makes me smile =D

SonicBlind

Smash Rookie
Wow , I didn't even now they had competitive item matches , with different rules and all that. Awesome.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
i don't like the smashballs can be a counterpick in doubles. everything else seems good.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Forgive me if I'm dense, since I'm not seeing it anywhere - what's the item spawn rate for 1v1? Low?
Yeah, it's low. I really need to make that easier to see.

Wow , I didn't even now they had competitive item matches , with different rules and all that. Awesome.
Now there are. ^_^

i don't like the smashballs can be a counterpick in doubles. everything else seems good.
That usually is what most people have to get used to the most; try it with Team Attack on (especially with the 1 use rule), and it gets a TON more strategic.

Well, being that there are quite a few Items, I'd think to ban 2-3 of them.
Do you mean in counterpicking? Strikes? Because we ban a lot more than 2-3 usually. :p

swordgard

Smash Hero
Lol @ you guys banning timers because people abuse of CFs knee.

Learn to SDI, especially in such lag its the easiest thing to do to get out.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Lol @ you guys banning timers because people abuse of CFs knee.

Learn to SDI, especially in such lag its the easiest thing to do to get out.
Not at all. The reason it works is because hitlag is extended with timers, and there's no way you can SDI out in hitlag.

That and it's not just Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Pikachu, and Zelda all immiediatly come to mind that can do that.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Not to mention that Timers are risk/rewards as well, it can backfire at you, or slow down time everywhere. ♥

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Not at all. The reason it works is because hitlag is extended with timers, and there's no way you can SDI out in hitlag.

That and it's not just Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Pikachu, and Zelda all immiediatly come to mind that can do that.
Exactly. In the write-up for the Timer, we link to 4 separate Youtube videos all clearly demonstrating why it is impossible to use SDI to get out of various Lightning-stun hi-jinx. If there were a way, we'd have made note of it, but the game mechanics are just built that way, unfortunately.

swordgard

Smash Hero

Actually, due to timer, you can SDI the moves for so long, i garantee you wont land 2 knees in time vs me. You are completely wrong about your assumption. The more hitlag, the more time you can SDI out. SDI occurs during hitlag...

QCDI up and down to dodge and you guys are screwed. The problem seemed to be able to land more than 1 time the same move without being able to dodge the second. Well, i just showed you how. In hitlag, you can instantly teleport to any side and even faster with timer off due to QCDI being so powerfull then.

The only problem would be zelda.... her kicks cannot be SDI-ed.... at all. Weird uh? But such item should be on CP, because zelda is the only char who has lightning moves the do NOT allow SDI, which makes this mostly balanced.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Actually, due to timer, you can SDI the moves for so long, i garantee you wont land 2 knees in time vs me. You are completely wrong about your assumption. The more hitlag, the more time you can SDI out. SDI occurs during hitlag...

QCDI up and down to dodge and you guys are screwed. The problem seemed to be able to land more than 1 time the same move without being able to dodge the second. Well, i just showed you how. In hitlag, you can instantly teleport to any side and even faster with timer off due to QCDI being so powerfull then.

The only problem would be zelda.... her kicks cannot be SDI-ed.... at all. Weird uh? But such item should be on CP, because zelda is the only char who has lightning moves the do NOT allow SDI, which makes this mostly balanced.

Forgot about SDing up, down won't help much though. I also think that Ganondorf doesn't have that issue as well because of the momentum attached to his attack.

Yeah, it's called fake hitlag, Marth's tipper f-smash is another example. I truthfully don't know about pikachu's f-smash, regardless I can test.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Quick update: I've uploaded a toolset for TO's that is optimized for giving players data about tournament rulesets over things like large monitors or projectors. Check out the beta version here. I'll post something more descriptive when I get a chance.

drunk3ng0ldfish

Smash Cadet
Green Shells should be banned.
I just spent the morning testing them. and Ganondorf, Falco, Fox, Wolf, Cpt Falcon, Peach, Sonic, Snake, Ike, Marth, DDD, Charizard, Sheik, Pikachu, Pit, ROB (and possibly Lucario and Wario, though i cannot get it for them) have infinite jumps with the green shell.
its not fair because once the characters listed above have a green shell they basically have inifinite recovery/stalling (except Snake and Ike, because they lose height)

either ban the green shells or ban the use of infinite jumps with them.

bobson

Smash Lord
Green Shells should be banned.
I just spent the morning testing them. and Ganondorf, Falco, Fox, Wolf, Cpt Falcon, Peach, Sonic, Snake, Ike, Marth, DDD, Charizard, Sheik, Pikachu, Pit, ROB (and possibly Lucario and Wario, though i cannot get it for them) have infinite jumps with the green shell.
its not fair because once the characters listed above have a green shell they basically have inifinite recovery/stalling (except Snake and Ike, because they lose height)
This is already banned under stalling rules, like flying under the stage over and over.
The recovery aspect is minor considering the disadvantages of always holding an item and the tendency for Brawl characters to recover from anything that doesn't outright kill them anyway.

Top Bottom