• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Scar

#HarveyDent
scar, what do you think of mango`s falcon?

what are the odds you would win a ditto?
we dittod like 500 times yesterday, he ***** me whenever he tries and whenever he's just playing normal mango we go about 50/50.

his spacing is incredible and he is very good at reading/predicting techs, so his tech chases are pretty insane. his CF is incredibly good but it's not because he knows that much about the character but rather because he's just so good at the game in general.

@KAOSTAR scarjump challenge record is still 8 walljumps

Zunari

Smash Apprentice
Hi.
My small question is about falcons forward tilt.
Is it useful at all?
Surely there must be an application for it, i never see it being used though.

Scar

#HarveyDent
yeah true mango sorry about that bro

he's right i was hating by mocking him by saying he's actually good, thats wrong he sucks and everyone basically ***** him but he's a little kid so we let him win when it looks like he's trying, which is really obvious because he sits up and stares at the tv screen intensely and uses quite a bit of full-body DI (aka wii DI)

probability that i would beat him in a ditto are actually closer to 1

jk mango you are the best in the world. do it for all the falcons who hate cactuars gay style. (lose x3)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
yeah true mango sorry about that bro

he's right i was hating by mocking him by saying he's actually good, thats wrong he sucks and everyone basically ***** him but he's a little kid so we let him win when it looks like he's trying, which is really obvious because he sits up and stares at the tv screen intensely and uses quite a bit of full-body DI (aka wii DI)

probability that i would beat him in a ditto are actually closer to 1

jk mango you are the best in the world. do it for all the falcons who hate cactuars gay style. (lose x3)
Man I hate mango too cuz hes really really good and tight and reps WC where im from. Wat a ***get.

Also I think that is somebody on cacutars account!
im at cactuars house

im on the ec for my

spring break

=D

ahh ****

-mango
http://www.smashboards.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7169511

D

Deleted member

How do I deal with Shieks who know how to tech chase on FD or Dreamland?

It seems like one grab leads to a lost stock, there's like nothing I can do except not get grabbed

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Yeah, thats pretty much it. don't get grabbed. bait her into doing something punishable then you HAVE to combo her **** in.

mitch2302

Smash Journeyman
Scar: what about SS's falcon? do you perceive it as a challenge when ppl say that he's the best falcon main?

and if mango is still here; what do you think of SS as a player who's played him quite a few times recently. can he compete with the best in the east?

Scar

#HarveyDent
How do I deal with Shieks who know how to tech chase on FD or Dreamland?
Yeah idk dude it's awesome to learn how to not get grabbed, just work on your spacing etc but tbh if people camp grabs well they're gonna get one eventually.

Platform camp on DL64, that'll help, and Sheik's dthrow tech chase isn't an infinite or anything, it's like at 41% when you land and miss the tech their jab doesn't force a getup, if you hold in or away you'll roll to either direction. Very hard to react to.

Also if your friend isn't really good at the tech chase and you STILL are having a hard time, it's probably because you aren't missing techs on purpose, it's hard to react to all of the options so just mix **** up well, don't try to mess with his mind just try to do things that are physically hard to react to.

Finally we're learning that Smash DI gets you up at any percent, so if you want to try to really do something cool as soon as you get thrown just start smashing the stick in all different directions, when you get jabbed if you did it right you should pop up to your feet.

Combo Sheik's balls off.
Scar: what about SS's falcon? do you perceive it as a challenge when ppl say that he's the best falcon main?
Yeah absolutely, from what I've seen he's an incredible player. All that's left is to see how he does against the beast coast.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
what is that *wii DI*?
it's when you DI with your body and not just the controller. it really gives you that extra oomph to survive after a strong hit. it's like how screaming when you hit a fsmash or knee makes it send them further. This is how it works:
it doesn't work, but it's still cool and all the cool kids do it, so you should do it too.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
^ Mogwai your wrong man it does work!

Smashers who can actually yell and have fun during tourney sets but still play focused are the best.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
it's when you DI with your body and not just the controller. it really gives you that extra oomph to survive after a strong hit. it's like how screaming when you hit a fsmash or knee makes it send them further. This is how it works:
it doesn't work, but it's still cool and all the cool kids do it, so you should do it too.
ROFLMAO i do that all the time,it works XD

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
*sigh*

Jebus, I thought I'd have rid of my Marth/Fox weakness by now, but I haven't :/

Still getting out prioritized by all of their moves, try to tech chase the Fox but it seems whenever I follow the tech into a grab, it's either spot dodged or I completely miss. When I try to mindgame them when I think they're going to spot dodge, they don't spot dodge. I could try and do dthrow to nair all day to Marth starting at 0% and a fair will somehow come out first and outprioritize my nair, no matter how fast I've done it, that sword has met my foot and sliced it off. I miss 90% of my falcon drives, to be punished basically every time, however I'm hit with almost all of them. I seem to play in my shield a lot...utilts from both of the characters seem to **** me hardcore and if I roll, I'm punished even if they're spamming utilts, and I'll try to full hop out, right into a combo because it's interrupted. Not much to say about Fox edgehogging me, I gotta work with my DI a bit in the first place, but I can't ledge tech for crap because I don't understand the Smash DI method of ledge teching Marth's fsmash, dtilt, shield breaker, fox's dsmash...I don't really think I understand ledge teching one bit actually, it just happens by luck when I press the R button after/during getting hit. I don't consistently wall jump, no matter how smashed against the wall I am, I'll somehow miss the wall jump and die for it. Gotta blame myself for missing the easiest combos.

So yeah, there's my emo rant, I'm starting to get sick of how Falcon gets ***** so hard in top tier fights, no matter how much I like him. I've even stooped low enough to choose Shiek sometimes, not really happy about making the choice, still not good enough with her though :/. It's looking to be just like my quadricep problem where it's obviously a problem but no one really knows where to help, and I don't know where to start lol, blah...

Any tips would greatly be appreciated, I don't feel like reading the Falcon guide for the 5th time, so I'm really banking on some good help with my Falcon game. Hopefully I'll have some videos up in the near future, it really just matters on when they're uploaded, but be ready for some epic fail besides me winning like one set via Poke Floats CP and then Rainbow Cruise CP by the other person. No knees = no fun, I'm hating the fact that I'm wanting to find a new main :/

EDIT: One thing I would also like to mention that's been bothering the hell out of me is sweaty hands. At home I can easily play without worrying about it, maybe it's the temperature I guess. However, when I go places, the things start getting moist almost instantly. Any methods anyone else has to prevent this? I've tried like washing my hands to try and dry them out, but I guess that doesn't work too swell :/. I've heard hand sanitizers work and I think I remember hearing someone mention cleaning my controller out would help, anyone's input on these two methods? Hehe, it would be hilarious if it's the weight of my controller, need to remove the rumble packs sometime to see the what it's like anyways, so as per usual, input input input. I don't want to john about anything anymore, I just want to get better >_<!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
hey gooey what part of IL you from?

on the fox tech chasing issue, you should be able to react fast enough to regrab before they can buffer a dodge. if you know which way they are going to tech run there and put out a dair.

against marth, try playing more defensively. if you are forced to approach marth consistantly you are going to run into big trouble. try baiting him out and punishing him.

on the moist hands, it is a combination of nerves and being fully warmed up. i usually wipe my hands between every stock to keep sweat to a minimum. its not a bad thing, for tech play i'd rather have it than cold hands.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Oh wow gooey sounds like you got some problems.

Umm it really seems like u lack in experience. I dont know who it is that you are playing but maybe the ppl are too good for your current level and you are just too overwhelmed to learn much from the match. First you wanna play people around your skill level.

As far as grabbing fox off the tech chase, you should be able to get there b4 they do any type of defensive maneuver. If ur not getting the grab it means that you are grabbing too late.

Dont feel too bad because uptilts of marth and fox do **** falcon. Especially reverse. If you are close enough try to get in a shield grab. If that doesnt work try a jab or a uair out of shield.

Try to be alittle more unpredictable. Dash dance and run around a bit. Dont always do an aerial just cuz ur in the air. Maybe land and grab from the back instead.

Falcons nair is hard to deal with so practice with that and learn to use it properly. Also make sure u are hitting all of your L cancels so that you can run away after a missed aerial.

Teching! Get better with DI but just know that you have to hit R before you get hit and smash DI during the hitlag of being hit. Also you wall jump from the tech you have to be holding/hit up[I think you can hold jump too]. Falcon cant tech the shine at all.

Edit: try using Uairs against marth as well.

Eaode

Smash Champion
I've recently been working to up my Falcon game some more, so I can do better across the board. So a few days ago I got some friendlies recorded vs. my teams partner so I can have you guys tear into 'em.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=7186000

Here are the vids directly: CF vs Roy: (1, 2, 3) CF vs Ganon: (1, 2, 3)

You can give feedback or critique here, in that thread, or even in the youtube comments if you wish. Just trying to get some good specific advice from Scar/my other fellow Falcon mains :)

Thanks in advance

DrewB008

Smash Lord
gooey if you work on it a little you should be able to regrab fox when he techs to the side, but getting him by reaction when he techs in place is very difficult. if you see him tech in place, you should try waiting for him to do something. popular choices among fox players are spot dodge, shine, and roll. dashdance in their face to scare them into doing one of these, then you can do like a short hopped non fastfalled stomp and youll probably hit them out of a shine or spot dodge.

fulljump out of shield does work sometimes if you time it well, but wavedashing out of shield is better. you can also retreat bairs/nairs out of shield decently.

i dont know what a falcon drive is or why you'd be doing it a lot

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
i think only like 5 people can consistently react to the tech in place, more can do it with sheik it seems
Yeah, charging her Usmash is a pretty consistent follow up for teching in place, and can setup for additional comboing, or in some cases downsmash is easier/better.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah, charging her Usmash is a pretty consistent follow up for teching in place, and can setup for additional comboing, or in some cases downsmash is easier/better.
lots of people can punish a predicted in-place tech. reacting to it is a whole other story.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I'm well aware that my cousin didn't play a good Marth here, but.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq7bJW0eNDE&feature=channel_page
How'd I do?

I just want to know what to look out for and how to punish.
I can't fight against heavy characters or fastfallers very well; I have Fox for that.
But when someone picks Marth, what should I do?
Chances are that they'll be much better than my cousin.

I've got the tech skill to do a lot of things, so that won't be the issue.
Just tell me how to fight Marth.
What's CF's best approach?
I usually go in with nair -> grab -> dthrow -> grab and go off of that.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
That was a cool moonwalk lol. But the game will be faster goin against a better marth. You wont be able to just aerial as you want you gotta watch out for the sword and higher frequency of attacks.

against marth its really nice to scoop him up with uairs and use dthrow. well spaced nairs are hard to beat from both players.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Whew! So much better feeling today, after reading my message I totally did seem like a whimpy little *****, lol.

Anyways, Sveet, I'm in the Peoria area and I play with Dart/EPSuck1337 and Blackpanther(your partner at SMYM9).

Also, I guess I just gotta get better with timing dthrow -> nair, I did nail it a few times last night and almost landed a nair -> nair -> uair -> knee but I like pivoted at the end of it xP. I'm guessing when he's grounded and I'm approaching from above, it would be somewhat of a silly idea to dair all the time with the range and priority of utilt/uair, any other options for Falcon when about a Marth? The whole Smash DI thing was for ledge teching strictly, I just stink really bad, but if I understood what was said, I'm suppose to press R before I get hit, then Smash DI the direction I want to go during the hit stun? So it would be like me Up B, me press R/L, Marth fsmash/dtilt/neutral B, me hit towards the stage ASAP with cstick, and I'll tech off the ledge?

To the other guy, I wouldn't say I'm that outclassed by either of the people I play, I'm just less consistent than either of them. Raptor drive = over b, I always forget what it's called lmao, maybe I should just call it over b from now on, it's shorter. I also guess I'm going to have to learn how to wavedash out of shield, going to be difficult though lmao. I use R for shield and I use X+R to wavedash, guess I'll try to force myself to use L to shield from now on.

As for the tech chasing, should I grab like at the end of their roll and it'll grab? Or the dair tech chase would be just to follow their tech and non fastfall a dair and they can't spot dodge it/shine it? If there's any vids with a proficient amount of tech chasing in it with Falcon, please post it :p

One more thing before I get, and that's placing aerials on shielded opponents. I'm wondering how useful this is for Falcon? I know it's extremely useful for the likes of like Falco bair'ing shields because Mango does them so low and hardly gets grabbed because of it. Any tips on placing aerials or whatever else you can think of?

Thanks a TON for the help guys, especially with reading my monstrous posts.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i wouldnt suggest going above marth. play falcon like he is a crazy bull. dd around on your part of the stage to keep your mobility at max. when marth jumps with a fair, just dash away and make the dash go as far as possible. as he lands dash back and grab. basically mix it up with that and nair spacing. and stay away from the edge.

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
slam dunk/hope for the best/fire punch = over+B
falcon hump = up+B
****** (vag) stomp = dair
wheel of fortune = multiple uair
knee = fair
fire elbow (throw a 'bow) = fsmash

stop throwin dem 'bows jo!

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
guys sweet new combo

down b, side b, up b, into sair (side air) its realy sweet and can rack up lots of damage and is ALWAYS a kill move its soo good im the best out of my friends

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
how fast do you need to DI into the wall after csticking away from the ledge for scar jumping. i seem to bair and kill myself alot

Top Bottom