• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Greatest Falcon Thread Ever Made...... Ever, Ever.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
seriously though, the info in like, my first few posts of the thread, along with the mindgames thread, are amazing for beginner players.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I dont think they are trying to give advice to make ppl directly more like them. But only to make ppl better at the game/falcon in general.
ya thx but f zero is this actually why you think people give advice? man that is ****ed up

if it were up to me i would give no one advice and keep all my secrets to myself so that i could be better than all of the beginner players. i give advice b/c i can and b/c i want to further the CF community's knowledge of the character, which is i think why the boards exist in the first place
seriously though, the info in like, my first few posts of the thread, along with the mindgames thread, are amazing for beginner players.
truth

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
yeah why cant we do that?? keep them from getting better *sarcasm*
Matchups I would like to avoid b/c I don't want to really reveal anything significant to players of other characters.

They can like reverse-engineer **** if I show them my moves. Generic matchup writeups are awesome though and I'll get on that too.

Scar has nothing against beginners lol. Only pros haha

F Zero

Smash Journeyman
ya thx but f zero is this actually why you think people give advice? man that is ****ed up

if it were up to me i would give no one advice and keep all my secrets to myself so that i could be better than all of the beginner players. i give advice b/c i can and b/c i want to further the CF community's knowledge of the character, which is i think why the boards exist in the first place

truth
Of course not. I was just listing a few habits that some immodest players have. I'm not saying: "everyone who gives advice is bragging and immodest." I did say: "It's just the way you go about it." There are plenty of people who give advice (myself included) because they genuinely want to help people get better at the game.

End argument.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
lol such a cop out from fzero lol.

Scar you are such a cocky B****rd lol! I cant believe you would give advice

so immodest :laugh:

see that nothin bad happened to me lol.

end argument.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
wtf are you guys talking about? im so lost. how about we shut up and talk about falcon.

dthrow to tech chase knee at any %. discuss.

F Zero

Smash Journeyman
What do we discuss, what happens after the knee? G-reg, spacies like to counter throws with a tech-in-place-shine. When you try to dash dance to wait for the tech-roll so you can re-grab, they get up and shine you to start a combo. Besides reacting to the tech in place by dashing and shielding, or guessing they will tech in place and punishing them (which we are not doing in this situation) is there another way to react?

woody72691

Smash Ace
i had a combo going too. chaing grabbing while at 0% it sort of worked d-throw to up throw to uair then the knee. anyone recall that??

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
What do we discuss, what happens after the knee? G-reg, spacies like to counter throws with a tech-in-place-shine. When you try to dash dance to wait for the tech-roll so you can re-grab, they get up and shine you to start a combo. Besides reacting to the tech in place by dashing and shielding, or guessing they will tech in place and punishing them (which we are not doing in this situation) is there another way to react?
Dash in the last second before they tech (if they DI away from upthrow) then see at the first frames if the animation is a roll, if it is a roll then run foward at first, then go backwards if they tech toward and keep running if they tech away. If you see the animation for teching in place then press z. The worst part of this is getting rid of the habit of dashing back and forth when the tech is supposed to happen which I still do sometimes on accident.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
What I believe is the most effective way:

Downthrow and fox trot once so that you are standing almost right over them.

If they tech in place grab. If they dont tech jab. If they tech away foxtrot grab.

If they tech towards[depending on how far their roll is] wait for them to go a little ways then foxtrot grab, or immediately dash back and then forward. its preference on whats easier or which way you want to pressure them to the edge.

Ive seen the foxtrot replaced with a WD but I dont think its as efficient as its not as far and more easily messed up.

Edit: just realized we are saying the same thing for the most part. lol

woody72691

Smash Ace
icant do fox trot because i havent found any thread with good info about it

P.S. dont give me a link just tell me about it

tubes

Smash Ace

just fool around with moving using dashes only. like if i was gonna fox trot right i'd tap the controlstick right, right, right, right, right, right, where as if I was gonna run right I'd tap the controlstick right and hold.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
if i was gonna fox trot right i'd tap the controlstick right, right, right, right, right, right, where as if I was gonna run right I'd tap the controlstick right and hold.
Thats not how you foxtrot

Its not hard:

Tap the direction you want to trot in [left or right] then quickly hit down to cancel the ending of the dash animation and hit the direction again.

A characters initial dash ie tapping left or right, is faster than the running speed. So the foxtrot is simply repeating that initial dash over and over again in place of running. Dash down dash....repeat. You can go either direction at the start of each trot.

You dont just tap right right right right because you have to cancel the animation of the ending steps first.

tubes

Smash Ace
Thats not how you foxtrot

Its not hard:

Tap the direction you want to trot in [left or right] then quickly hit down to cancel the ending of the dash animation and hit the direction again.

A characters initial dash ie tapping left or right, is faster than the running speed. So the foxtrot is simply repeating that initial dash over and over again in place of running. Dash down dash....repeat. You can go either direction at the start of each trot.

You dont just tap right right right right because you have to cancel the animation of the ending steps first.
I can't see how this would be any different from what I was doing but I'll take your word for it til I can test it out for myself.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
OK sorry about that. You can actually just dash and you dont have to dash cancel with down but you can. You can also JC the dash and use a WD in between each one

tubes

Smash Ace
OK sorry about that. You can actually just dash and you dont have to dash cancel with down but you can. You can also JC the dash and use a WD in between each one
Does pressing down even affect the dash at all? I'll test it when I can but from what I've noticed the dash will be longer or shorter depending on when you let the stick go back to neutral. I haven't noticed crouching doing anything until you're actually running, after the dash.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Does pressing down even affect the dash at all? I'll test it when I can but from what I've noticed the dash will be longer or shorter depending on when you let the stick go back to neutral. I haven't noticed crouching doing anything until you're actually running, after the dash.
Yea its how u dash cancel. You dash and then you hit down. It cancels the end of the dash which is slower.

F Zero

Smash Journeyman
Dash in the last second before they tech (if they DI away from upthrow) then see at the first frames if the animation is a roll, if it is a roll then run foward at first, then go backwards if they tech toward and keep running if they tech away. If you see the animation for teching in place then press z. The worst part of this is getting rid of the habit of dashing back and forth when the tech is supposed to happen which I still do sometimes on accident.
Thx man, I don't know if my reaction speed is good enough to make this happen, but it's certainly a good strategy. I can dash, stop, and run forward if they tech away, but if they tech in place, I don't react quick enough to not get shined. I'll try to work on it, it's hard to adjust muscle memory sometimes.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Thx man, I don't know if my reaction speed is good enough to make this happen, but it's certainly a good strategy.
Your reaction speed is most definitely good enough, even a below-average human reaction speed can catch that. What's missing is just more experience. The longer you play the game, the more familiar you are with the stimuli (e.g. Falcon's rolling animation) and the more quickly you will be able to react without thinking about it.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
Yea its how u dash cancel. You dash and then you hit down. It cancels the end of the dash which is slower.
to crouch cancel the dash you need to end the dash animation before ccing it,and if you dash out of a dash(right right right w/e) it will be like you are dash dancing,so i think ccing foxtrot is slower

edit:i said the you cant cc the dash thing because thats how you moonwalk/stickywalk so no one misunderstand me please

tubes

Smash Ace
to crouch cancel the dash you need to end the dash animation before ccing it,and if you dash out of a dash(right right right w/e) it will be like you are dash dancing,so i think ccing foxtrot is slower

edit:i said the you cant cc the dash thing because thats how you moonwalk/stickywalk so no one misunderstand me please
I second this.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
heres a lil trick i found wit falcon, its in my clip in the trailer, theres a bunch of other stuff i found i can do wit it which will come later in the combo videos, most them r just pretty flashy. But anit that the reason we all main falcon

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=231533
i dont main falcon cuz hes flashy,i main him cuz i like rawspeed,but yeah flashyness comes out naturally with him XD

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
It makes sense but idk, doesnt really matter to me all that much. My method of choice is with the WD in between unless or course the spacing is wrong and they are all faster than running/walking.

But I dont think flashy comes that naturally, you gotta put it in. Falcon is just **** and fun to play. Alot of lower-mid players pickup falcon and start fappin everytime they see stomp to knee. Its just not enough.

Scar

#HarveyDent
they are all faster than running/walking.
according to a study done by M2K, there is no combination of initial dashing, wavedashing, or foxtrotting that is faster than just running

in other words foxtrot>perfect wavedash>foxtrot is the same speed as control stick forward

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
according to a study done by M2K, there is no combination of initial dashing, wavedashing, or foxtrotting that is faster than just running

in other words foxtrot>perfect wavedash>foxtrot is the same speed as control stick forward
Really, thats interesting. Id like to ask him about that. Good thing is that there are definately more option out of the above than running.

good info tho

Scar

#HarveyDent
ya definitely, it's useful to get into the habit of doing that stuff too, esp run>wd fwd>dash. that keeps your options fresh and is way too easy to learn to not be commonly applied

Scar

#HarveyDent
if i had to take a shot in the dark, like put a gun to my head and ask me, i'd probably say all the time, every %, regardless of DI.

Top Bottom