• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Deal with Specific Moves - Move 4 - Diddy's Nanners

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Current Topic:

Diddy's Nanners
- Discussion from 5/24-5/30

Upcoming Topics:

GW's multi-hit nightmare (b-air, n-air, trumpet)
DDD chaingrab.....list is still in progress

Past topics:

MK's Tornado - Discussed and Summarized
Marth Dancing Blade - Discussed and Summarized
TL's Wall (includes bombs, arrows, boomerang and aerials)

Move 1 - MK's Tornado

Avoid it completely
How to DI the Tornado Effectively

Since all of us will be hit by this move at least sometimes we need to learn to punish it if they miss and if we're caught we must learn how to DI out of it the best. Essentially you want to DI into the center of the Tornado and then DI up and mash up-b to escape from the top. This is much harder than it sounds and will take all of us a lot of practice since ROB is such an odd shape he gets stuck inside easier than most. But it can be done and should be practiced and mastered. summary maybe not finished

Move 2 - Marth's Dancing Blade - May 2-9

Dancing Blade info and combos

Marth's Dancing Blade can be 1-4 hits long and has multiple different iterations, all of which can lead to different things for the Marth player. This move comes out in 4 frames, which needless to say is very fast, making it difficult to punish.

Opinions are torn on the best way to deal with this move but one thing we can all agree on is the fact that it is mighty annoying when used correctly. Depending on Marth's spacing at the beginning of the move, SDI is a viable option. If he starts too close to you then you can SDI behind him to punish with whatever move you see fit. If he starts too far away you can SDI away and hopefully get out of it's range. You can sheild or downsmash in between hits with good timing and practice. It is currently unknown if you can d-tilt in between hits as well but if so that leads to the obvious dtilt>trip>grab, or dtilt>ftilt. You may also roll in between hits, but I'm unsure how reliable this is.

Toon Link's Wall (includes bombs, arrows, boomerang and aerials)

Sudai has already said everything that needs to be said. Read this post.

Diddy's Nanners - May 24-30

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah Tornado was the first thing I was thinking. Let's kick it off there, what ways do we robots have to deal with the tornado most effectively? Laser and Gyro obviously, but outside of that things get tricky.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
IIRC anything that hits MK himself will stop the Tornado so f-smash will do it. D-air from above will do it, but it's really tough to do. I can't remember though if there is any way to DI out of it. Actually, is there even any best way to DI whole in it or does it not matter?

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Random note: Side-b will outprioritize the nado. My question is: Is it viable? In any way shape or form? all the instances where you can use side-b fsmash would be a better choice.

Tilting shield upwards is necessary to fully shield the nado, but you need a full shield to do it I think.

As for DI'ing it, isn't it just SDI whichever directio MK is NOT going?

FEARedound

Smash Cadet
i like this xD

i still cannot consistently DI out of MK's nado, (thats possible right?)

but then again.... <-----scrub

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Good idea for a thread. For a list of *more* possible moves, feel free to look at the character matchup synopses I wrote, and pull from the "DI Guide"; which is only partially correclty labeled, as the intent of it was a lot like this thread. I'll probably go through and edit the title to reflect its attention accordingly. But, to save yourself some time, I'll list a few that I have in the synopses:

GaW B-air
GaW N-air
MK Tornado
MK Drill Rush
MK F-, B-airs
Snake N-air
Snake D-air
Marth Dancing Blade
Marth F-air Chain
Diddy F-smash
Diddy Banana
DK Ground Slap
DK B-air WoP
TL B-air WoP
Kirby D-air (offstage)
DDD chaingrab (essentially, things to do to make it harder, someone mentioned it in the DDD matchup thread. I know a frame-perfect CG is nigh impossible to break, but I'd like to know my options if it ISN'T frame perfect)

Anyway, there are four different ways to get hit by tornado.
1)On the ground on start-up (starting it in your grill)
2)On the ground from farther away (where he just basically slams into you)
3)In the air on start-up (basically starting it in your grill)
4)In the air from farther away; catching you as you fall/where he just slams into you.

It may seem trivial to point this out, but to me it seems that the DI pattern you follow is "different" based on if you get hit with it on startup, or if you get pulled into it (from him slamming into you)

Reason being:
Regardless of whether you are in the air, or on the ground, the initial hit of the tornado (if its done right on you) pops you up just slightly. The second hit of the tornado pops you up even more, and the subsequent hits pull you in. Since MK generally rises (if even for a small amount) the bottom of the tornado catches up with you, and it pulls you down into it- kind of like ROB & Pikachu's D-smashes.

Now, if you get caught in it AFTER it has started up, either on the ground or the air, the tornado works similarly, but not identical. You still get popped up, but not necc. with the first two hits. That is to say, you may be pulled in, hit, hit, popped up, hit hit, popped up again.

It seems to me (and this is just theory... essentially, trying to look at this from a different perspective) that it works like a moving, airborne ROB or Pika D-smash. So, could we try SDIing UP as opposed to left/right, or maybe UP to get to the top of the tornado and then up & left/right depending on which way the "top" of the tornado hits us/what side we are on (as the tornado is designed, and the MK player will be moving in order to keep you in the center,) with the left/right should be opposite of whichever way he is going? Again... just a thought.

I'd like for someone to test this out, as I don't have a "partner" with which to test this out with atm.

Edit: I did what little testing I could by using my big toe to hit "B" as MK and tap it as best I could, while controlling ROB. Totally suffered like... 3-5 hits for 5% damage. Note: I jumped once I got to the top of the tornado after SDI'ing it. I couldnt continually tap B, or make MK move (i mean... i was using my big toe...) but... at least in THIS situation, the theory works.

Edit again: I tested this some more on wi-fi, and it works really good there as well, even with the button delay. The catch is, is to get hit with the start-up of the tornado, where you suffer the "small bounce" hit followed by the "large bounce". Whether you are in the air, or on the ground, I got out of it (even with the MK trailing me) suffering only 3-5% damage. Also, using your jump at the end of it to space yourself farther from the tornado is essential. If you don't have your jump, you can do it with up+B as well. As far as I know, I couldn't get this to work with getting caught in the tornado AFTER it had started up, unless from below. That is to say, I can jump into it from above and get out this way, but I can't "jump into" it from the side and get out by that way.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
If a MK is spamming torando, run away and start charging fsmash. If they get hit by it once, they wont try again.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
ROB has many tools for beating a tornado.

Weak laser, partially charged gyro, thrown gyro, zdropped gyro, Nair, Bair, Dair(Don't try it), Fsmash, Pivot Grab(hard).

I don't think it's a big problem for ROB in this matchup.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
honestly i think the hardest part about the tornado, is what happens once we get caught in one. the short lasting tornadoes can just pop us off the ground, but wont give enough time to SDI out of (for me especially). and once ROB is off the ground, he's screwed. well that's just my opinion.

sorry im not thinking too clearly at the moment, finals are making my brain go mush: for the tornado, i think we should focus on what should ROB do, if we're caught in one. cuz preventing ROB getting hit by the whorenado requires good spacing/ timing and some luck.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I can manage not to get caught in one while im on the ground- either through tilting my shield, F-smash, Gyro, or laser. Its when I'm in the air, and they start it up in the air in close proximity to me. If I get hit in the start-up, its not a big deal. SDI out, 5% damage... BUT, I'm in the air, which is bad, but manageable as I've gotten out of it and probably managed to claim some sort of aerial "degensive" position by the time they've stopped it.

Its always the ones that get started up slightly away from me, but still close- usually during an aerial or after an airdodge (like... I'll airdodge a U-air or F-air, they'll either tornado directly out of the whiff or jump again an tornado). If that's the case, I probably don't have a gyro handy, and the SDI'ing upwards doesn't work. Im more or less stuck in it for the long haul PLUS being popped into the air afterward.

HugS™

Smash Lord
I feel the best way to deal with the tornado is to avoid it completely. It sounds easy, but really it's a matter of spacing yourself properly 100% of the time so that every attempt at it ends up running into your shield. I mean, you don't jump into a metaknight when he is spaced properly to start the tornado.

You powershield the first hit, angle the shield upwards, and if he finishes near you, you get a free dsmash.
Smart metaknights will either leave the moment you powershield, or pretend to leave so that you drop your shield, then come right back in. Know when the coast is clear before dropping your shield.

You kind of have to be grounded 95% of the time in this match up. When the tornado starts, you should be able to double jump and hit the top with a Nair everytime, so long as you positioned yourself properly. Remember that whole zone thing? It applies here. There's a place where metaknight shouldn't be able to tornado you, ever, as long as you are technically sound with your shielding and reaction times.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that i have no idea how to get out of it once it starts. I imagine you get hit by the 2nd BIG hit, jump immediately and DI out? I just kind of get lucky sometimes.

A trick I'm sure works, is if you hold UP and jam B while inside of it, you will always be able to up B out of the last hit, to avoid getting popped up into the air. The problem is you end up in the air above metaknight anyways, but it's still an option.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
So possibly, spam Up+B until you hear the rocket boosters then SHNair or Bair? Hell, this might be one of the only times we can get in a Dair, and it'll be fresh too.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Ok. So, I did some more testing. A lot more, actually. And, here's what I've come up with. Before I get into it all, let me explain my rationale.

I recorded myself using the tornado in 4 different ways on a motionless CPU (or one that I controlled just long enough to get the footage) and watched in 1/4 speed on a video editor for almost an hour. A little of this is going to be a repost of my previous post, but its crucial to understand some of it to follow it all.

The tornado on start-up is comprised of two hits. The first is a small hit which raises ROB slightly off the ground, and the second one pops him farther up, and into the center of the tornado at the base. From there, ROB is tossed around in a "standing" position (I use the term loosely, for comparative purposes) for a few hits, and then is hit with a stronger hit (in terms of knockback, not damage) which puts him into a "tumble" position (again, for illustrative/comparative purposes).

Bearing that in mind, the four ways I used the tornado were as follows:

1) MK and ROB on the ground/air, right next to eachother. Start the Tornado.
2) MK using the tornado the left/right of ROB and "slamming into" ROB (to skip the start-up hits)
3) MK using the tornado above ROB (skipping start-up hits)
4) MK using the tornado below ROB (skipping start-up hits)

By looking closely at how the tornado worked, I realized it wasn't terribly unlike an actual tornado. In a real tornado, all the damage takes place on the "walls" of the tornado, whereas the inside is (relatively) calm due to the fact that the winds rotate around the center. In essence, there is a comparative "safe zone". Of course, this "safe zone" narrows as you move from the top of the tornado to its base.

Applying that to MKs tornado explains some things as well. First, it explains why smaller characters have an easier time escaping it than larger ones. They occupy less space, and therefore are able to "fit" into the safe zone better, and can therefore be more liberal (in terms of precision) with their DI. Larger characters have a harder time for the same reason. They occupy more space, so the amount of "safe zone" available to them is smaller. Therefore, they have to be tighter (in terms of precision) with their DI, if indeed it has any effect at all. It isn't that ROB is a large character, but rather he is oddly shaped, and because of that shape he occupies more "safe zone" space. Think of it in terms of "if one part gets caught in it (the tornado), it pulls the rest into it". ROB is more rectangular in shape, and while not overly large, is still large-which gives him more "random points" than most characters that can get "caught" in the tornado.

Anyway... moving on. Theoretically, you can destroy a tornado by having a strong charge from the inside. This results in outward pressure from the inside center than is exerted on the outside whirling winds, which causes them to "break apart".

The same is true with MK's tornado. By using an attack directly above the tornado, you are more or less dropping a "charge" (the hitbox) into the center of the tornado, whose knockback/launch potential/whatever is greater than the priority on the outside. The result, MKs tornado gets wrecked. As far as attacks like F-smash, or the gyro, or the laser... the only thing I can think of is that they pass THROUGH the outerportion with enough priority (think about how a laser goes through everything, how even a half-charged gyro goes through all sorts of attacks, and the fact that F-smash is disjointed), and disrupt its center, causing it to "fall apart"

(I know in the above example with laser/gyro f-smash... that the two are almost... incomparable as real tornados operate under physical rules, whereas a tornado in the game operates of arbitrarily implented ones... but, I'm using it as a comparison for purpose of explanation)

After realizing the similarities between the two... I started to think even more. If there is indeed a "safe zone", then we should try to position ROB into that safezone as soon as, and for as long as possible. Therefore, we have to DI into the "safe-zone" first, and then OUT of the tornado.

If the tornado is started so that ROB gets hit with the two hits on start-up, do not instantly DI. Instead, DI the second, stronger hit UP so that you move from the narrower "safe zone" at the base, to the wider "safe zone" at the top using the subsequent hits to help propel you upward if you flubbed the initial DI. From there, you can jump out. (Which supports Hugs' technique of up+Bing the last hit)

If the tornado hits from the sides, DI *INTO* the tornado either by DI'ing left, or right, or a combination of the two depending on what the MK player is doing. This supports the "DI left/right" theory that is kind of popular, but also has been thought to be "hit or miss" in terms of consistency. Essentially, sometimes the MK is moving laterally, sometimes he isn't, and sometimes the movements are more extreme than others... all of which throw off the DI.

At any rate, DI'ing INTO the tornado will put you briefly into the safe zone, and from there you can DI up/in once you come into contact with the inner portion of the "wall" of wind.. (Theoretically, you could DI left/right with one stick, and up with the other to do it at the same time (haven't really given this much testing)). However, its important to note that the "stronger" hits which knock you into that aforementioned tumbling animation are the most effective to DI bc they create a "launch" for you.

Again, depending on what action the MK is taking, you DI differently but with the same goal. Get toward the center "safe zone" and up/out of it.

1) If the MK is simply going up and not moving laterally, if hit with the left side of the tornado DI right, and then up (and vice versa if hit from the opposite side). Jump, double jump, or up+B out of it so that you rise OUT of the tornado before MK can catch up to you.

2) Hit from the left, MK moving left: DI right (to get inside & to safe zone), left (to get back into the safezone if you hit the opposite side of the tornado) and up. (and vice versa)
3) Hit from left, MK moving right: Right (to get inside the tornado), right+up (right to move with MK and stay in the safezone, and up to get out) & vice cersa.
4) Hit from either side, moving back and forth: DI into the tornado, and then WITH the MK and up (I think that's right...)

Anyway... feel free to test this out on your own. Ive done what little testing I could, and its worked pretty well thus far. You take less damage, don't suffer the last hit's knockback which pops you up, and even though you still are above MK, you are in "control" of yourself.

Edit: Of course I agree with the majority that the best situation is to not be hit with the tornado at all; either by perfect spacing/zoning, or disrupting it with F-smashes, perfectly spaced N-, B-, D-airs, gyros, lasers, pivot grabs, etc... but, its nice to develop some sort of contingency plan for when there are gaps in said spacin/zoning which lead to us getting caught up in it.

Also, Im not sure if this is 100% accurate... but in theory it holds up. I just need someone to test it with me, or (ideally) someone with better overall DI skills than mine (who still understands the theory behind it) to test it out in person.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
mk's B button > your character

u can grab him out of the starting hitbox if he starts it near u. most MK charge the nodo toward you, which u should just walk away, smash, shield> grab, ect

quick reflexes are needed. i beat some semi good mks with lazer and gyro spam, then charge them for edguards

but then u get to the good mks. and the matchup is almost un winnable. rob on paper will never beat good mk. we should keep nair fresh fresh starting at 95% for a kill. otherwise ur stocks are going. fast.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok I updated the OP and we're now on move 2, Marth's dancing blade. Discussion will take place from May 2-9

Everything above this post is Move one, Everything below is Move 2

Sudai

Stuff here
Smash DI is a wonderful tool against Dancing Blade. If he spaces it to close to you, SDI into him and you can get past him to punish him (free FSmash or whatever you want) but if he spaces it too far away, SDI away and you should be able to get out of it.

If you want to avoid dancing blades, be careful what you hit Marth's shield with and be careful not to spot dodge or roll needlessly.

Remember, DB comes out in 4 frames. Fun stuff.

Edit:

For Marth's DB, I just sheild grab it.....I never found it to be much of a problem..D:
Marth shouldn't be using this against your shield. It's mainly a punishment tool.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Like, Zmt uses it on me to punish my spot dodge problem, but other than that all I do is sheild > grab OoS

But what you said makes sense (of course it does), I could use that :laugh:

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
It would be interesting to know the "cutoff" point between "close to you" and "too far away" is, as sometimes I sort of feel that he started it up almost on me (maybe bc of the steps Marth takes) and wasn't able to DI to the back of him, and other times I thought he was far enough away, and wasnt able to DI it back due to the steps. Im sure a lot of this is my lack of paying close attention, but some sort of visual cue would help us all DI it much more consistently.

Also, can't you D-smash btwn the hits? Im wanting to say in Aerow's vid in teh FAQ thread, the nailed a few D-smashes between the hits.

Sudai

Stuff here
I'm honestly not sure where the cuttoff is. I do know that there's a point where there's nothing you can really do so I just SDI down and hold shield and hope they mistime things, but meh. I'm not very sure on any visual clues though. It's something I've just kind of gotten used to with playing a lot of Marths. Hopefully someone can give you a better idea.

Sudai

Stuff here
I have no idea if you can DSmash between hits (I missed that in your post for some reason, dull) but if you can, you should also be able to shield between hits (unless they're talking DSmash OoS, then I have no idea). You'd also be able to DTilt between hits, which I would find preferable personally. DTilt > Trip > Grab leads to more damage and a better set-up. DTilt > Ftilt is barely less damage than DSmash (assuming everything's fresh) but the chance at a trip is worth it, imo. Also, if they're at a low enough percent you can do DTilt > FSmash > FTilt regardless of %. I'm still glad I watched that one NL vid where he did that. I love that combo. XD

TEECO

Smash Ace
I brawl with ZMT at tournaments and online and he's deffinately NOT afread to use the dancing blade lol.
He's a great marth and good to practice with.

You can Shield in between hits as well as D-smash. It can be a little hard to time due to the fact that all 3 major hits of the dancing blade come after eachother pretty quickly.

I'm not sure about Dtilt, but if it does work that would be awesome. Sudai's advice on it sounds a lot better if they are at lower percents. We have to find out the whole Dtilt thing for this.

Shockdrake

Smash Cadet
I'm just going to throw down all the DB stuff that comes to mind.

I'm pretty sure DB hits are a true combo. If you miss the shield at the beginning, you're taking every hit Marth swings out unless you SDI. That said, sometimes Marths input slow. They usually won't though.

You're not SDI'ing out of ANY version of DB if it's not green unless it's amazingly badly spaced.

If you play good Marths, they'll almost always space DB well. When I see an opponent in lag, I can dash > DB with perfect spacing on instinct. If they land next to me, I can dash back > reverse DB with perfect spacing on instinct.

And yes, DB is a punishment move. If a good Marth uses DB, it's almost always when it will hit. There are quite a few times when it's used solely as a surprise though.

- Dtilt > DB is guaranteed at lower %s, but many Marths still use it into the 60%+, where it's not guaranteed. Dtilt is an amazing setup move for Marths, since they can follow up with aerials as well as shield, DB, and grab. If your Marth friend is into the dtilt>DB, don't try to run or retaliate. Ftilt usually comes out too slow if the Marth actually decided to go for it. Shield can get pressured with fairs or grabbed. Spotdodge can be hit through with DB or double fairs. It's all chance really. Doing dtilt > DB at mid percents may not be guaranteed, but it's still an amazing setup. If the Marth is stupid and does it at high percents, ftilt him.

- Dash > DB as an approach is a surprise move. It works surprisingly well many times because of DB's speed and range and because Marth can stop if it hits a shield and usually avoid punishment. Against ROB though, the ftilt is... yeah. You probably won't get this approach too often. However, your Marth might play the mixup game of either Dash > DB or Dash > shield, which is actually effective against ROB. You choose wrong and you get punished. In this case, I'd recommend retreating fairs, or walking back and ftilting (if he approaches more slowly), reacting on what Marth did. Marth's DB must be spaced, so any movement from you will mess with the spacing.

- Grab release > DB. Some mindgamey Marths (there aren't too many, even among good Marths) will use this as a surprise. After a Grab release forced groundbreak, DB comes out in 4 frames, which is fast. I've pulled off Grab > groundbreak > DB1 > regrab > groundbreak > DB1 about 5 times in a row before I decided to stop on one player. It's a surprise thing. You can get out a shield if you want, but if Marth predicts that, he can just regrab you. If you try to walk away, you still get hit by DB. Some good Marths will DB you and then wait, because a DB'ed opponent tends to want to run away. If you roll behind him, he'll expect it and reverse DS you for a kill usually. If you roll away, he can chase with DB. If the Marth is good at conditioning, he will release > dtilt you for a few times. You most likely will not walk or dash after being DB'ed then, mostly due to instinct and the possibility that he'll do something that can easily hit you out of it. The best thing to do in general is to either SH back and double retreating fair or just ftilt. He can expect the ftilt, though, because you're ROB. If you retreat fair, you're almost guaranteed safe. You can also try dtilt.

- Fair > DB. Most Marths won't use this. But it's guaranteed at low percents too. Marth has much more chance to screw up spacing the DB if he does this, but I doubt anyone will react fast enough to DI out of it. More common options for Marth are fair > dtilt, and... maybe fair > jab. That's if he lands. Most of the time, he'll be poking fairs and won't land though. Anyway, almost all of Marth's landing options can be followed up by DB, which is why most Marths won't use it first. Why use it first when you can almost definitely get it in later? Not much to say about avoiding this one. Just expect bad spacing and DI into him since spacing mistakes here will almost be too close

- DB to punish landing: If you're AD landing, DB will kill you. If you come down with an attack, Marth can predict which side you'll do it on and dash behind, shield cancel, DB backwards, or just pivot grab. If you have a really good dair, you can evade this, but ROB doesn't have one. The best thing for Marth to do against a landing ROB is to get to his forward side and shield. If you fair, it's shielded. If you bair, it's shielded and you're spaced into him for a grab. If you nair, it's shielded, but less punishable. If you AD, it's DB'd or grabbed. I'd space an nair if possible, fair if he's in initial dash. It's very tough for ROB to land against a good Marth who's not far away.

- DB1 games. Mindgamey Marths sometimes forego the guaranteed damage of 4 hits. DB does in the 10 damage range if you hit all 4. Some Marths (including me) like to stop after DB1 and dtilt > DB chase. Killseeking Marths may DB1 > DS, although this will be very rare. DB1 (4 frames) can follow up with a jab (4 frames) which can be followed up with a dtilt (6 frames) at mid-percents (probably near-guaranteed at mid). Some Marths will also DB1, then walk back and expect a chase, then DB the chase. It doesn't do much more damage, but it serves as a "Ha, I read you!" moment for him. Marth can also DB1>walk back>dash-DB1>walk back, repeat for as long as he thinks he can read you. I don't believe this game works on ROB at all though, due to your ftilt, and it wouldn't work on most people more than once over. If you could shield in initial dash, it would be a pretty good game for Marth to mix up with shieldgrab. Lucky for you, he can't.

I could probably think of other situations, but I need to eat breakfast.

noodles

Smash Champion
just roll

one of the only situations where rolling can be useful

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll update tomorrow, I've spent the last 2 full days watching the APEX livestream. What do you guys want to discuss next?

TEECO

Smash Ace
Sounds good OWM.
I didn't see one match of the whole thing.. *facepalm*

It's not on the list, but is it possible that we can do Pit's arrows?
If not, I say Diddy's bananas.

Sudai

Stuff here
I mean...we probably shouldn't do pits arrow's because there's four options: Get hit, FAir/tilt through it, Be Invincible/Powershield, or have them miss. Done.

I think a better option to discuss would simply be TLink's wall. I wouldn't restrict it to a specific move despite the thread's name, because used individually TLink's wall is incomplete and ****ty.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Everything above this point is Marth's Dancing Blade

I updated the OP and we are now discussion Toon Link's Wall.

Everything below this point in Toon Link's Wall

stingers

Smash Obsessed
To be honest, I cannot find a way to defeat Toon Link's wall. I've recently started going Meta Knight against TL's because I have no ****ing idea what to do.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
I'm with Stingers. I think fair goes through the arrows? I'm not so sure about the boomerang and zair though. I just rush in with Fairs the majority of the time, the two TLs I've played (Fuzz and Lobos) seem to get through us pretty good, so all I can figure is to rush in with fairs and WoP offstage...lol

Sorry for this post btw, its a bit all over the place XD

Sudai

Stuff here
RUSHING IN WITH FAIRS IS A BAD IDEA!!!!

Anyway..
To get past TLink's wall you literally just have to walk forward and powershield everything.

There's a few things TLink can do out of a SH.

BAir/NAir > Quick Draw.
-If you manage to powershield the aerial, SH Fair OoS is probably your best option here.

Bomb Pull > Quick Draw
-They usually won't do this unless a fair distance away. You just have to watch for the bomb pull and you get a free laser. Free FSmash if they're close enough.
-If you miss the timing on the bomb pull you can run forward and powershield the quickdraw then try for a DTilt or FTilt or something.

Double Arrow
-Just powershield both and keep approaching.

ZAir > Quickdraw
-This one's kind of rare to see, but it does exist. Just try to powershield both, again.

ZDrop Bomb > ZGrab Bomb > ZDrop > ZGrab > ZDrop > Landing aerial or quickdraw
-This is the most annoying shield pressure I've ever experienced in Brawl aside from a diddy doing the same thing with a banana.
-There's a simple fix, powershielding the bomb. When you powershield a bomb it counts as hitting you so it blows up.
-If you can't manage to time the powershield, you can try to SH backwards OoS and attempt a FAir.
-This isn't technically part of his wall, but w/e.

Boomerang
-He can't do anything other than a boomerang when he SH's the boomerang and it has a fairly laggy start-up, so use the time to dash in for a quick approach.

Bombs in General
-Always always always make sure you powershield these.
-If they hit your shield, they will bounce which means the TLink can approach with NAir or BAir and DI far enough away that they can quickdraw and be safe from anything unless you powershield one of them..and then they have a bomb in hand on top of that.

Bomb thrown up
-I don't expect ROBs to run into a bomb thrown straight up..so don't..
-They provide a kind of timed bomb for TLink. If the SH UThrow a bomb, they can quickdraw when then land and then SH Bomb pull > Quickdraw and so long as they get the bomb out of their hand quickly, they can jump and get the other bomb then throw it at you quickly so now you have two bombs coming your way along with a TLink..just not fun. XD

Anyway..I'll actually probably try to get me vs TLink recorded some so the people having issues with TLinks wall can have a visual represntation.

Top Bottom